My dumb idea: An Essay.

Everything else, including the kitchen sink.

Moderator: Staff

Dillon T Jones
Adventurer
Adventurer

My dumb idea: An Essay.

Post by Dillon T Jones »

Websters Dictionary defines 'Essay' as "a short piece of writing on a particular subject'. And so, this is an essay of my idea that I think could be either incredibly fun, or incredibly weird. I have floated this past some people, and they got it and did not laugh at me. So, first some points to consider before I kick this off.

1. This is a 'bullshit simulator' idea. This is a game you play in an office with others that means nothing and points don't matter. Leave the seriousness at the door. There can be -some- seriousness, but too much spoils the broth.
2. I don't really have a two, except that remember this is me spit balling, both in action and the story behind it.
3. Things need to come in threes.

So, some background. Some of my buddies have been streaming a video game called 'Rimworld'. Some of you may know it, it's one of the highest ranked games on Steam. The idea of the game is that it is a city building simulator. You, the player of the game, work the characters in the game to build buildings, and grow food, and etc.

In the stream however, a modification of the game has been added, where people watching the stream can interact with the game as it is being streamed. They vote on things that happen, both good and bad. They earn points which they can spend to drop down food, or medicine, or not. This is the basis of my idea here. I do not want to stream the game, that would be boring.

I want to put characters from Rhydin, into a game of Rimworld, and post it on the forums.

I will let the game play for a couple of days (A season?), let things happen, let characters do things, and then post about it with pictures, on the forums. Now, here is where it gets weirder. I know.

People reading the posts, can use 'points' that are acquired... I don't know how yet, heh, to spend on things to happen in the game. At the same time, people who's characters are in the game, can also do the same, or write out how their characters react with what happens, if they so want. Or they can just let shit happen.

Some more explanation for IC-ness. The character in the game is a separate entity from your character in Rhydin, so no one will have to 'leave' Rhydin as it were. Characters in Rhydin won't even know this all is happening. I have an IC reason for this happening and can write it out (wonderfully, of course >=) ) if needed.

Some of you will also note, I already do this in my own Rimworld games to annoy people. I absolutely do, and I still find incredible humor in telling some people that their character in my video game has got a rabid manhunting squirrel attacking them. By random! I don't order squirrels to attack characters in the game. I didn't like that Black Mirror episode.

(As I was reading this over I realized that this all could come across as an incredible neckbeard weird dude thing, like I make characters and mess with them for my amusement. So, as this is CURRENT_YEAR; date_default_timezone_set('UTC'); Let me explain, I do not do this. Random shit happens in the game, and makes stories happen. I don't hit a character with a lightning bolt and feel some neckbeardy joy about it)

So this is my idea, it is incredibly shoddily made at the moment but this is my spit balling phase. Fire a post or slide into those DM's of mine for more explanation or to smooth out some elements, you hip millennial you. Tide pods. I didn't do that because I am old and clinging to the scraps of my youth.
Pharlen
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Re: My dumb idea: An Essay.

Post by Pharlen »

Of course you're not a weird neckbeard dude. :twisted:

It sounds kind of fun and strange, in a good way. As for writing it, well. Just have Dillon writing fan fic of all the people he knows in RhyDin. XD Maybe even make a folder dedicated to characters writing weird fan fiction. It doesn't get any more meta than that!
Fantastically Ordinary
Drop by for a cuppa odd.
Dillon T Jones
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: My dumb idea: An Essay.

Post by Dillon T Jones »

That... Actually works out really well. I'm gonna hold on to that thought that I did not steal and just came up with. Hey, maybe it's Dillon writing weird fan fic about people. Wow, that's a good idea I just had.

In my head, for right now, Rhydin Dillon would not know Video game Dillon. There is a bit of a story there, but the short of it is Dillon and the Company he (used to) works for don't do one avenue of science theory. They do all of them. One of them being Trial and Error. Which was kind of started as a joke, then eventually, Dillon wrote code that was almost 100 percent, reality. Things could be tested a hundred billion times in a second now, and so, Trial and Error became an actual school of thought. Again. Thank you Cavepeople, big ups to you.

Eventually, as this does with Dillon, it got worse and worse. Dillon could not just simulate reality, he could simulate animals. He could simulate Demons. And Angels. He could simulate people. But it wasn't perfect, because while everything was close to reality... it wasn't exactly perfect. As the simulated copies of things, didn't have souls.

Then Dillon programmed simulated souls. For fun. It was a Tuesday.

With Rhydin Dillon, about the time he realized what he had done he stopped and by consensus, it was heavily outlawed. The conversation on the Company message boards probably went like this:

DILL: Hey, I just figured out how to make simulated souls.
'What?'
"LOL"
"HAHA MAKE HITLER SO I CAN PUNCH HIM IN THE FACE"
"LULZ DILL"
"OUTLAWED"
"OUTLAWED"
"OUTLAWED"
"WELL FUCK THE AI'S HAVE SPOKEN"

Problem is, it's a multiverse of fun. This Dillon, may have outlawed it. Other Dillon's, did not.

The game is a story of another Dillon, let's call him Evil Dillon, or EDillon for short because it's annoying and i like it. EDillon is taking copies of people from Rhydin and putting them into simulated realities to see how they react with problems. The copies are so perfect, they even have a soul.

This will be played out in my game of Rimworld.

I KNOW! And I don't even do acid.

Return to “Thoughts at Large”