Out of Character message board for the Duel of Swords

Moderator: Staff

Michelle Montoya
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Fāris Al-Ibra

Re: Suggestion

Post by Michelle Montoya »

PC wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 11:56 pm Is there still interest in this? I saw talk of team-base events that are related to more strategy brought up in the lobby, so I wanted to get a read on things.

If you guys want a team event I can put one together easy.. I just need at least 4 teams, I can possibly work with 3 (by making it round robin), but it will mostly work like the thread Gren linked to ( viewtopic.php?t=24805 ). Except 5 members will be decreased to 3 minimum with 5 maximum, and the weekly matches will be best 2 out of 3. Should a tie happen it'll go to points gained / points lost as a tie breaker.

Currently we're in week 5 of the cycle. An event like this, being single elimination, will take around 3 or so weeks.. Which means I can actually start this up around week 9 and run it to 12/13.

I just want to know if there's interest, and if so, if there are people willing to captain and secure a team. Future strategy-based team events can also be looked at for DoS should things work out. I don't want to make a promise 100%, but it'd still be something to consider in the future.

I understand that this could be seen as somewhat short notice, but like I said, I don't mind throwing things together within a few weeks and making it work if it's something you might enjoy. Summer-cycle might be a no-go, and if this truly is short notice we can possibly plan something for fall cycle (with the possibility of making it double elimination). All and all, this is just touching base with you guys and seeing if there's interest.
I am 100% interested in this. I am happy to captain, co-captain or call or help out in any way.

-Michelle
Alasdair Galloway
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Alasdair Galloway »

If this happens I would say to have exhibition matches to start so it's low stakes and can be more about fun and drumming up interest for something else.

I think that the mpdpd scoring should stay too.
Hope
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Beast Mode

Post by Hope »

Hopefully other teams are willing to consider this but I'd be happy to captain Real Rhy'Din for a go at a swords tournament
Michelle Montoya
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Fāris Al-Ibra

House Exhibition's

So this has sat for over a month now and I just want to bump this up again. Are people interested in doing team events? Are the House Cycle's enough for peoples interest? I for one am still interested in doing something, even if it's just an exhibition match thing where maybe we get the current Houses to put together some pairing just for a night of House Exhibitions. For example, and I'm just throwing it out there, we have the Off-Season Dueling Cup wrapping up this week. What if, as a celebration *and* to kick-off the new season we set aside a night for some House Exhibition matches.

We could have House of Steel, House Royal, House Kabuki and House Wilds. (Stone and Things only have 9 points so I'm just going with those four). If we do seeding based on House points we could set it up like this:

House Steel vs. House Wilds
House Royal vs. House Kabuki

The winner of those goes to the finals match. Each team puts up three players, a single match. Best two out of three wins.

==== Example ====
Steel vs. Wilds
Rachael vs. Penny
Amaris vs. Matt
Runt vs. Alasdair

Royal vs. Kabuki
Jewell vs. Mallory
Hope vs. Riho
Kheldar vs. Bailey

And the finals are set up the same way. We pick a Sunday night to run it, say next Sunday night since it's the start of the new cycle, just like we do the tournaments. If a team doesn't have enough people, it's just an exhibition, so we can have one free-lancer join in (e.g. Gloria is not a member of a house right now, they could be a freelancer). So two out of three matches must be with *your* team members, but you get a freelancer slot.

Match-ups can be determined on the spot like this. Royal vs. Kabuki. Royal has more points so Kabuki puts up a duelist first.
1. Kabuki selects Mallory as their first duelist. Royal responds by submitting Jewell.
2. Royal submits Hope as their second duelist. Kabuki responds by submitting Riho.
3. Kabuki selects Bailey as their third duelist. Royal responds by submitting Kheldar.

For prizes, it's an exhibition, so maybe bragging rights and some IC rewards like nobles, coupons, or a special banner in the arena.

Thoughts? Ideas? Comments?

For the record, I know PC has been running a ton of tournaments this month so I volunteer to organize and run this House Exhibition's Night.
Alasdair Galloway
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Alasdair Galloway »

I like this idea. My only thought is that a best of three may not be the best format since if someone is up 2-0, the third duel may as well not happen. Maybe using some scoring method like mpdpd would help, but with three duels that still would likely make anyone up 2-0 an almost certain winner. Unless you make the third duel worth 2 wins, which would then trigger a tiebreaker match.

I think expanding to 4 members per team would be something to think about as well, but that would also depend on interest and using a scoring method other than just number of duels won.
Michelle Montoya
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Fāris Al-Ibra

Those are great thoughts!

In TDL we often had multiple matches on the team night occurring at the same time, so I was thinking we would have all three matches happening simultaneously. I'm thinking all of House Steel vs. House Wilds would occur at the same time, then there would be a break while House Royal vs. House Kabuki faces off. Then the winners go on to the finals. That way it keeps things moving along and no one really knows how it's going to turn out when all six duelists (three matches) step into the ring.

I'm not sure about alternative scoring ideas, at least in the Exhibition format I'm not sure how to administer Match Point Differential Per Duel (MPDPD). It would still lean very heavily to whoever wins the best two out of three. I'd be interested to hear others weigh in on the idea.
Gloria Blaze
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Gloria Blaze »

It was rare, but it happened that with MPDPD that in a 5 duel match you could lose 3 duels and come out on top, I can't remember how often it happened, or if it was just theory. However, I, as a player loved TDL and the team strategies on matching opponents very enjoyable. Atrebla often put forward what some considered weaker rosters but we tried to find ways to maximize it.

However, as i am not a member of a house at this point my contribution is less relevant.

Cheers,
Gloria Blaze,
House Royal
Mallory
RoH Admin
RoH Admin

Post by Mallory »

Personally I think an exhibition night is a great way to test the water — but I also have concerns about the three match format. If an alternative format isn’t really feasible to make it possible for a team to win 1-2, what about a prize or listing to encourage duking it out even when your team has lost?

Like at the end of the night, there could be a list for everyone who won more than one fight, another for being part of the winning team, “parting shot” or “revenge mode” for duelists who bring it from 2-0 to 2-1, etc. As the Hold demonstrates, there’s a lot of value in just putting your name up there.
Hope
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Beast Mode

Post by Hope »

I like the idea of more team events and integrating them into the House structure and I do really enjoy the idea of having people offer up a duelist and the opposing team answers. I've been playing with that format in my head for a few years after seeing Starcraft tournaments but haven't really tried to get it going. I personally really like the idea and I think it would give the Houses some more strategy as opposed to just grinding the most duels. I think it's also important to figure out the itinerary left in the dueling year. Will IFL be happening? Could we run a Swords league in its place if it isn't, leaving only a little bit of time before the next Madness?

I also think it's important to hear from the DoS staff on this because maybe it's a great idea and the time might just not be opportune. Love the ideas.
PC
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by PC »

Michelle brought up her idea to me some days ago and I was letting the post breathe to see how others would respond. I'll post here what I told her -- we're coming off a heavy tournament month for DoS and DoM, and as I'm coordinator (dos) and assistant coordinator (dom) of the sports, I'm taking a bit of a break right now after calling a lot of the tournaments; and if she'd like to spearhead her idea of the exhibition matches, be it this cycle or the next, I'm fine with it. I'd be happy to see more community members coming in with fresh ideas and having a go at it. As always, my door is always open on Discord if any would like to discuss possibly running events.

tl;dr. We're watching and reading this thread.
Rachael Blackthorne
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
The Professor

Location: Current: Number 6 Willow Way, Canopy District, Gloaming. Former: a beach house in Arcadia.

Post by Rachael Blackthorne »

I was told that there wouldn't be any math....

To start off, I like the idea of exhibition matches between the four top scoring Houses for the cycle. This gives the Houses another goal to shoot for, outside of any prizes offered during the seasons.

However, I personally do not want to see any form of complicated scoring for this Exhibition. If there must be a scoring system (other than KISS wins over losses), I want to see the math kept as simple as possible. I personally like the scoring for the regular season (4 points for a win, 3 points for a tie, and 2 points for a loss). If the scoring system is overcomplicated, a spectator and potential House participant might decide against participation because they believe (incorrectly) that the overall scoring system for the regular seasons is much too complicated for their tastes.

An interesting format for the exhibition matches is as follows:

Round 1
Top House 1 vs Top House 4 (Top being determined by total House points gained during the season).
Participants: Top three House Members by points gained during that season on each team. If one of the top three is not available for the exhibition date, then the fourth highest by points team member would be selected to participate.

Top House 2 vs Top House 3 (Top being determined by total House points gained during the season).
Participants: Top three House Members by points gained during that season on each team. If one of the top three is not available for the exhibition date, then the fourth highest by points team member would be selected to participate.

Round 2
Winner of Top House 1/Top House 4 vs Winner of Top House 2/Top House 3
Participants: Two House Members per team (selected from the original three exhibition participating House Members).

Loser of Top House 1/Top House 4 vs Loser of Top House 2/Top House 3
Participants: Two House Members per team (selected from the original three exhibition participating House Members).

Final Round
Winner of the Winner's Bracket vs Winner of the Loser's Bracket
Participants: One House Member per team (selected from the original three exhibition participating House Members).
The Winner's Bracket would only have to win one match, while the Loser's Bracket would have to win two matches to win overall.

Participants would be awarded a general participation achievement badge. There would be two special achievement badges as well. For the overall winner, they would earn a House Superstar badge. For the second-place participant, they would earn a Never Give Up badge. The winning House could also have a skybox for the next cycle, decorated in their team colors.
The hand is quicker than the eye.
PrlUnicorn
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by PrlUnicorn »

I really like the idea of bringing back some form of team dueling for DoS!

Since March and April are the time of year for Madness, I'd like to suggest Sep/Oct for a team event. That's just about 6 months between to give people recovery time and avoid the winter holidays that tend to take priority for many people.

Return to “Duel of Swords (OOC)”