Moderators: Bailey Raptis, JewellRavenlock

Mina
Adventurer
Adventurer

Letters Home

Post by Mina »

November 5, 2018

Dear Bapa,

I have arrived in RhyDin. It is warmer here than at home. The city is so big! It is overwhelming.

I miss you very much. Can it only be two weeks ago that I last saw you? The journey south was pleasant and quiet. Do you blame me for moving so slow? I know I should have been here sooner, but I did not want the trip to end. I fear what comes next. I do not think I’m ready.

I’m so scared bapa, but I promise not to let you down. I won’t disappoint you. I will be brave like you.

I will write you more when I am settled. Just know that I am well and ever affectionately your,

Mina
Mina
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: Letters Home

Post by Mina »

November 26, 2018

Dear Bapa,

I know I said I would write you a more satisfactory letter when I was settled, so know that because your Mina is writing this to you now, she is finally feeling more settled!

It has taken me many weeks of visiting different offices to figure out where I can lawfully keep my vardo in the city. There is a camp just outside of the city and they were very welcoming, but the tug I feel comes from the heart of the city itself so here I am settled in the large market. I have never seen anything like it! It cost me more money than I thought it would and I had to sell Chestnut to raise some of it. I think I may have been cheated out of some of my money, but how am I to know? This place is so large and strange and the people are dishonest. It is larger than you said. I don’t know how I will ever find what I am looking for here.

There was a holiday last week. Everyone gathered with their friends and family. Bakalo and I had a merry meal in front of the stove together and he helped me make plans to really start my search in earnest. We both missed you terribly though.

I will write to you again next week. Monday mornings are just for you!

Lovingly,

Your Mina
Mina
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Mina »

December 10, 2019

Dear Bapa,

I feel as though I have walked a million more miles since I wrote you last week. Nothing has improved or changed. I have found no sign of the Uremi and I feel as lost as ever. Maybe even moreso. At least at home I have you. I know you had hope, but I’m afraid there is nothing for me here either. But do not fret, your Mina will not give up. I know you are all counting on me.

I went to a large party on Saturday in the Old Temple district of the city. There were many people there and it felt for a moment as if the ones I were looking for were just out of reach, hidden somewhere in the crowd, but they did not appear to me. I hope I have not disappointed them, but how else do I explain why they will not show themselves to me? I’m afraid I meant to be a disappointment in life, bapa.

There! Now that I have given vent to such dark thoughts (knowing you will kindly overlook my weakness), I promise to be more cheerful! I bumped into a young man at the party. It was hard not to because the crowd was so large. I only mention him because I bumped into him again yesterday and you have always told me that there are no coincidences in life so perhaps you can figure this one out for me. I do not know his name but he was rather rude. I suppose that is fair though because I did spill my coffee on him. I was horribly embarrassed!

Do you promise not to tell anyone if I admit to you that when he touched my elbow to steady me, my heart gave a funny little flutter that I’ve never felt before? Do not worry though, bapa! Your little champion is not getting silly about boys. I know where my focus must be. I know my mission and purpose.

I dream every night of large hounds howling. It feels so ominous and they frighten me. When I wake, it seems as if I can still hear them and I cannot fall back to sleep until dawn.

Give everyone my love!

xoxo your Mina
Mina
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Mina »

December 17, 2019

Dear Bapa,

Has it only been a week since I last wrote you? It feels like it must be far longer than that! I do not even know where to begin. You promised one day things would be better and that everything would change. You said there was reason to hope. Oh bapa, you were right! Now prepare yourself because your Mina has quite a lot to tell you.

I felt so low last week after I wrote you. I know I said I would be more cheerful, but it just seemed impossible. There was this dark cloud over me. Can I admit that it’s been over me for a very long time? It just felt more oppressive than ever. So on Tuesday evening, I went out to a local Inn. I wanted to be warm (fuel is very expensive here!) and surrounded by people even if I didn’t know any of them. And he was there, bapa. The young man I bumped into twice over the weekend.

I am sure you are now wondering what happened and why I am in such good spirits, but you must be patient. When I saw him again at the Inn, I ran from him. I was nervous. Not because of anything he did--I promise he is a gentleman--but because of how I felt around him. Bapa, there are so few secrets between us and I do not want this to be one of them. I wanted to be near him. I wanted to hear him say my name again. I wanted to sit in front of the fire at the Inn and talk with him all night long. Instead? I ran. I do not need distractions. That is not why I am here. He asked me not to run though and I shouldn’t have. Not from him.

I say that because he is a champion! I am not alone. He wears a ring just like mine. Can you imagine the relief in my heart? Can you feel it? I am not alone! It feels wonderful just to write it out again. The Uremi gave him his ring when he was five just like me. And bapa--oh there are truly no words for how I feel. But here I am, getting ahead of myself. It was fate that brought us together once again. You are right. There are no coincidences in life. The enemy summoned hounds and they chased me right to him and he helped me. He protected me. We defeated them together. After, the Uremi appeared to us both. I thought I would cry. Finally, after all these weeks they showed themselves to me. To us. I did cry when no one could see me.

Saria said we must stick together and work together. I am ashamed to admit that I fought with Luka about that. That is his name (there is so much to share that I am forgetting the most important details, you see?)--Professor Luka Gaumond. He is very very smart and just as stubborn as I am. Maybe moreso. But he is also very kind. He has insisted that I stay with him in his home because it is safer. You do not think that is unseemly of me, do you? I hope you don’t. I have a large room all to myself here with big windows and there is a pretty park just across the street, and it does feel safe here. Luka has put wards around it and he helped me get my things.

Can I also tell you that it doesn’t feel strange to live in the same apartment as him? Not like I thought it would. He doesn’t make me uneasy as other men often do. He is courteous and goes out of his way to make me feel more comfortable and at home. We don’t feel like strangers. I feel like I’ve known him forever. I even got dressed up like the women do here to go to a party with him on Saturday. His friend was getting married. It was fun. We also watch movies together. Do you remember that time we went to one with papa? Here we can watch them in his apartment. They are interesting but I often fall asleep before the end. Yesterday, we brought a tree into the apartment and decorated it for Christmas with little lights and glass balls. It looks lovely.

I am sure you are now thinking that your little champion has forgotten all about her duties in the light of this change, but I promise you I have not! The Uremi have tasked us with defending the fae, and I will do as I must and am called to do as always. But is it wrong to be relieved that I must not serve alone anymore? There is a lightness in my very soul, bapa. I can face anything now.

I send you all my love along with this very long letter!

Your Mina
Mina
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Mina »

December 17, 2018

Mama,

I am still in good health and safe here in the city. I have found the Uremi like you told me to. My situation has also changed and I can no longer stay in my vardo. Please direct any correspondence to the direction listed below. Professor Gaumond is an ally of the Uremi and he will make sure I receive word from you if you need to send it.

I hope you are all well. I miss you. Tell Viollca that I will send her the recipe for the tea I made her if her morning sickness persists.

Love,

Cosmina

Cosmina Ardelean
℅ Professor Luka Gaumond
xxx xxxxx
New Haven; RhyDin City
Mina
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Mina »

December 24, 2018

Dear Bapa,

Today I write to you from Gaumond Hall. It is the estate of Luka’s family. It is a very old and grand house, almost like the castles that hover on the precipice of the mountain over our valley. I have my own room here too with the prettiest painting done on the walls and overlooking the gardens below. Do not fear that you will no longer recognize your little Mina now that she is living in such a rich place surrounded by fine things for I am ever the same heedless and foolish girl you love for reasons unknown.

If you cannot tell, I am in very low spirits today, bapa. It is Christmas Eve. It is supposed to be a joyous time, but my heart feels heavy and I’ve cast a pall over everything somehow. Billie (she is Luka’s former nanny and closest family and my heart loves her already) says things will be fine after a time again, but it does not feel like it.

On Saturday evening, Luka and I walked in the park together to see all the holiday decorations. Everything was so pretty and life felt beautiful and perfect. Later though, a little fae appeared and he needed our protection. Of course I could not deny it to him. If I do not help every fae in need, what kind of champion am I? What is my purpose? That is why I exist, isn’t it? But by agreeing to help the small fae, I put us both in such danger. I was so ashamed, bapa. I never meant to put Luka in danger. It makes me upset still to think about it. I would not have minded if it was just me, but not him too. I thought I was making the right choice, but I don’t know how to both serve the Uremi and work alongside Luka as he would like. He doesn’t even view our job as champions to serve, and he doesn’t worship the Uremi like we do. Everything is so confused in my head.

Fortunately, our adventure ended just fine. I would never forgive myself if he had gotten hurt because of me, but we worked together and reached Gaumond Hall unscathed. We actually work very well together when we want to. It is like when Emil and I used to hunt only different. Better. Luka and I compliment each other and I trust him even though we haven’t known each other very long. I think I trust him more than I trust anyone else except maybe you. When we are together, I do not feel afraid and when he tells me that I can do something? I can’t help but believe him.

But I feel as though I have ruined everything bapa. He asks too much of me! Yesterday, after we were safe here, he asked me to choose him over the Uremi. To put him before them. How could he ask me to do that? Everyone is depending on me to serve the Uremi. Mama has always said that I must do everything they ask of me, give them anything they want. And I have, haven’t I? I haven’t questioned. I have done my duty as best I can because I can’t even bare to think about what they will do if I fail them. It makes me feel ill. I think of them hurting little Ala or taking Camelia as their champion instead and I would do anything to keep that from happening. This is my purpose. It is my destiny. Isn’t it? Why has everything happened as it has if it isn’t? Why am I even alive if not for this?

Despite all that bapa, when he asked me to put him first, I wanted to say yes. Spirits above forgive me but I did. When he looked at me, when he asked me, I didn’t care about anyone or anything else. He promised we would still help the Uremi, that I would not fail. That together, we could protect everyone without putting the Uremi first.

Will you forgive me bapa if I did say yes?

I did. I promised him I would choose him over the Uremi. I know I am a horrid, selfish girl, but he said I had a choice. He told me that there could be more to my life than just service. And bapa, I wanted to make that choice. I want more out of my life than just service. I want to be happy. I want to dream again. For the first time ever, I made the choice I wanted to make rather than the choice I was supposed to make but it feels like, in doing so, I have failed some test or trial. I have disappointed and failed my family, haven’t I? Luka is disappointed in me too. I have hurt him somehow and it hurts me to know that. I thought he would be happy. I want to make him happy. Is that wrong?

I’m afraid that maybe he was wrong though. Maybe I don’t have a choice. Maybe all I am meant for is to serve the Uremi. That is all I’m good for but if that is true? I have still failed. At the first temptation, I have faltered.

Everyone always wants so much from me, bapa. I feel pulled in a hundred different directions and like I am doomed to fail no matter which path I choose. Is there a way to be happy and serve? Is it wrong to want more from my life? What am I supposed to do? I wish you were here to tell me.

With Affection,

Your Mina
Mina
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Mina »

December 31, 2018

Dear Bapa,

I just know you are going to laugh at your poor Mina when she tells you that now life is perfect after I was in the depths of despair just days ago. I will even laugh at myself to show you what good spirits I am in.

Bapa, Luka is my every dream. I can tell you that because I told him that. He cares for me. He wants to be with me. I think he even wants me to one day be his wife. Me! Someone’s wife! And not just someone’s. I would be my Luka’s wife. Just writing that feels too wonderful to be possibly true. Oh bapa, you of all people know what this means to me. Do you remember how bitterly I cried when Viollca was married? I am still so ashamed when I think of it, but now my eyes fill with tears of joy instead. If this is why I had to be lonely and alone, if this is why I had to suffer, then I believe it was worth it just for this lovely feeling right now.

He even took me on a date and he asked me if he could kiss me (I said yes). He makes me feel beautiful.

I have not forgotten my duties, though! I promise you. Together, we are stronger than we even know and we will not fail. Together, we will find some balance. We can be happy and also help the Uremi (do you see that I said help and not serve?). I didn’t believe that was true before, but when I am Luka? I believe it. Together we can do anything. We fought a shadow demon the other night and we helped that little fae gain his freedom. Luka is actually the one that helped him because he is so kind and good hearted. That is just the start.

Oh bapa! Fate is not so cruel to your little champion as she always thought.

Love,

Your Mina

Please do not tell anyone else about Luka. They will not understand, but you understand, don’t you?
Mina
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Mina »

December 31, 2018

Mama,

It is the last day of an old year. I hope you and papa are doing well.

I am getting used to living in the city, and I am doing my best as a champion. I helped save a girl from a shadow demon the other night and helped a little fae recover a necklace for his mistress so he would not be enslaved for all time. I have also been training in the sporting rings here so that I will be stronger.

I hope you will be proud. I am trying very hard.

Give my love to my sisters, please, and all the children. Tell them tușă loves and misses them very much.

Love,

Cosmina
Mina
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Mina »

January 7, 2019

Dear Bapa,

Happy New Year! I hope it brings you many blessings and that we will see each other again soon.

Luka and I celebrated the New Year together. I wore a sparkly dress and we drank and danced together. I also took him on a date to a Roma bar in the city. It was a little slice of home. I hope you do not think I am getting wild though. I like sitting in the apartment and knitting while Luka reads just as much as ever or sitting quietly in the conservatory at Gaumond Hall surrounded by all the lovely plants. Luka will often bring his books and research and sit in the conservatory too just to be near me.

I have a new hobby too. There are dueling sports in the city, where you can fight in regulated rings. It is good training for both self defense and as a champion. And would you believe it, bapa? Your little Mina won a tournament last night! I beat two other women in hand-to-hand combat. It was actually fun and I try my best to never actually hurt anyone during a fight by being fast or clever.

I am starting to like the city more, bapa. I am even making friends here! I met one for coffee this morning before we came back to the Hall. Her name is Taneth and she is very lovely. She is going to give me special seeds to plant in the garden Luka said I could tend to here at the Hall.

Even with new friends, I still miss you!

Your Mina
Mina
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Mina »

January 14, 2019

Dear Bapa,

I didn’t realize it could snow in RhyDin as much as it did at home! I hope you are not completely buried like we are here. We lost power in the apartment on Saturday, but that has not bothered us so much. There is a fireplace and lots of blankets and the stove still works. We have been playing board games (Luka has to let me win the ones with words now and then or I’d always lose because he’s so smart) and I knit a little when my hands aren’t too cold. When it got dark last night, Luka was still reading by candlelight and I asked him to read out loud. The book was fairly interesting, but I really just like the sound of his voice.

He went back to work the other day. Did I tell you that he is a professor? I think I must have but there has been so much to share. He teaches students about different religions and mythologies and does a lot of research too. He’s really so brilliant. I am in awe of all the things he knows about, but he never makes me feel stupid. He reminds me that I know about a lot of other types of things, and I suppose he is right.

While he is at the college, I have been making my salves and tinctures to sell. There is a woman in the marketplace that lets me share space in her booth on days that I am in the city. It is nice to be able to help people and make some money. I am sending some to you today so you can buy yourself the new coat you need, and if I find out that you didn’t use it for that, I will be very cross!

I am sending you lots of warm thoughts too!

Your Mina
Mina
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Mina »

letter unsent

January 21, 2019

Mama,

This New Year has been better than I could have ever imagined it being. I want to tell you why, mama, but I am afraid you will be angry. A lie of omission though is still a lie, isn’t it? So I must tell you.

I have met someone.

His name is Luka. Lord Luka Gabriel Gaumond. I am sure his name makes him sound very above us, but he isn’t like that at all. He is the sweetest, most perfect person I have ever met. He has dark hair that is always falling across his forehead, but I don’t mind because he lets me brush it away. His eyes are hazel with bits of gold in them like magic. He has the nicest smile and his arms are strong. When he wraps them around me, I fear nothing because I know I am safe. He is a professor at a college, and mama? He is a champion too.

Even knowing that, I am somehow sure you will not approve and will be very angry with me. You must feel that I am shaming you because I know you think I was meant to serve alone all my life. I know you think that I belong to the Uremi heart, mind, and soul. That my life was given to the Uremi before I was even born and that is that. I know you have always wanted me to simply accept this and to live my life in selfless service, but I can’t.

I love Luka.

He is the other half of my soul, mama. When I am with him, I am home. And I know what you will say, but this is not some temporary and silly infatuation of a young, clueless girl. It isn’t. You were wrong about the Uremi and you were wrong about me. I do not belong to anyone but myself. I do not have to blindly serve. I can choose. So I am, and I choose Luka.

But you needn’t worry because I choose to be a champion too.

One day I hope you will forgive me. I hope you will understand.

With Love,

Mina
Mina
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Mina »

January 21, 2019

Dear Bapa,

There is still a lot of snow here, but champions do not get to take extended breaks because of such things (though college professors apparently do not have to go to school for a few days)! A demon attacked and hurt some people last Tuesday night. We were hoping that it could lead us to who has been summoning such creatures, but the trail ended and we are no closer than when we started. It is a little discouraging, but I was able to help one young woman who was hurt. That made my heart glad.

Luka and I went away for the weekend together. I hope you will not think me shameless and immodest or that he has dishonored me in any way, bapa. No one has ever been kinder or more considerate towards me. No one has ever been so interested in what I want and what I need. Luka cares for me more than I care for myself. Still, I am a little troubled because I think you will surely be ashamed of me, but for the first time in my life? I am doing what I want to do. Not what anyone else tells me to do. And I like it.

I still have not told mama or papa about him. I do not think they will understand, but I just know somehow that you do even if my actions do disappoint you. Know I am in earnest when I say that Luka makes my soul complete. There has always been something missing, bapa. You told me one day I would find it. Now I have.

When the snow begins to melt, we will come to see you. I want you to meet him. I am sure you will love him just as I do. Until then, be safe and well.

Lovingly,

Your Mina
Mina
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Mina »

February 4, 2019

Mama,

It has been over a month since I wrote to you, so I wanted to let you know that I am still well. It seems I will be here in the city for some time still as I have not made much progress in figuring out who is out to hurt the fae here. I am trying though. I promise. I will not fail you.

I have included the recipe for the tea for Viollca. I am sorry to hear that she is still not feeling well. Please tell her that I wish I could be there for her. I am also sorry to hear that Damara still has had no luck in conceiving again. My heart is heavy for her. The sachet I have included is for her. If she drinks some every night before her and Bendigo are intimate, it should help her be blessed once more.

If things are quiet, perhaps I will visit in the spring? If you think that is okay. I would like to see everyone.

Love,

Cosmina
Mina
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Mina »

February 11, 2019

Dear Bapa,

I’m sorry that my last two letters were so short. Luka and I have been very busy! Between work and our normal lives and serving as champions, it sometimes feels like there is not a moment to breathe.

Last week, we went to a Lunar New Year celebration. It was very interesting and fun! The place where it was held was also selling beautiful jewelry. There was a hair comb there with a blue just like my eyes. I should not have looked at it so much, but I couldn’t help it! It was too lovely not to, but Luka noticed and he insisted on buying it for me bapa even though I told him that was silly and I didn’t need anything of the sort. You know I am not frivolous with money.

Will you think me horribly spoiled and vain if I admit that it does look pretty in my hair and that I love it?

Tomorrow is Luka’s birthday. Tonight, I am making him a special dinner that he likes. At least, I am trying to. Hopefully I will not mess it up. I asked his friend Eric to teach me because Eric is the greatest chef in the whole city. Still, I am worried it will not be so good. I have never cooked shrimp before! Tomorrow I am less worried because I wanted to make a traditional dinner for him and Billie. I also saved up my money aside from what I sent to you for your new coat (is it keeping you warm?) to buy him a leather journal so that he may write about the monsters we encounter. I also bought yarn for the sweater vest I made him. And I am going to the college tomorrow to try and steal him away and take him out to lunch.

It sounds like an awful lot when I write it all out like that, bapa, but somehow it still does not seem enough. Luka does so much for me, and I feel like I have so little to give in return. What if I mess everything up? How do I know if it is enough?

What if I am not enough?

I must go read over Eric’s instructions about the perfect grits one more time, bapa. I will write you next week to tell you how they came out. If I fail to mention them, it is safe to assume that they were terrible.

Lovingly,

Your Mina
Mina
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Mina »

February 18, 2019

Dear Bapa,

I am sure you will be relieved to hear that the special meal that I made for Luka’s birthday was a success! I think. At least Luka ate it all. It didn’t taste quite as good as the one Eric made (I thought), but I tried my best and he reassured me that it was delicious. He was very surprised too because he thought Eric was coming over to make dinner, but when he came home from work? It was just me there. I had planned it all out perfectly! Your granddaughter is becoming very cunning, bapa.

He was surprised too when I gave him his other presents when Billie came over for dinner the next night (and I insisted that we sing the happy birthday song). He already wore his sweater vest to work, and I think he liked the notebook best of all even though he said they were all the best presents ever. He may have fibbed a little about the shrimp and grits so as to not hurt my feelings, but I know he truly meant that part at least because he hugged me so tight and I can just tell when he is happy. It makes me happy to see him happy and I am glad he was not disappointed with what I got him for his birthday.

The rest of the week was not so great. Luka got a bad cold and then I got a bit of a bump on the head. It was nothing serious though, so you mustn’t worry. After that though, we went to the Hall so that I could rest and feel better and not be so worried about taking care of him at the same time. You know I am a rather poor patient, bapa, especially when someone else is in need. I’m afraid it was a trial for Luka to deal with me at first. He could not convince me to sit still even though I was feeling so poorly. Fortunately, I am feeling much better now and so is he.

Things have been a little quiet since the demon hurt all those people at the night club last month, but it feels like the calm that comes before a strong summer storm thunders across the mountain tops. I hope we are ready for whatever happens next. We have to be ready.

Sending you lots of love! Luka said to say hello too.

Your Mina

Return to “Beyond the Veil”