Regarding the Tuesday DoM and DoF Combo Night

Out of Character message board for the Duel of Magic

Moderator: Staff

PrlUnicorn
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Regarding the Tuesday DoM and DoF Combo Night

Post by PrlUnicorn »

I doubt I am the only player curious about this, so here goes.

It was my understanding that the DoM/DoF combo night on Tuesday was supposed be an experiment. It went from one month and was continued a second month. No further notices of continuance were made as to it being permanent. Are those of us that have been waiting for the experiment to end simply out of luck for the Isle to return to being Magic only on Tuesdays?

Thank you.
Rachael Blackthorne
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
The Professor

Location: Current: Number 6 Willow Way, Canopy District, Gloaming. Former: a beach house in Arcadia.

Re: Regarding the Tuesday DoM and DoF Combo Night

Post by Rachael Blackthorne »

PrlUnicorn wrote:I doubt I am the only player curious about this, so here goes.

It was my understanding that the DoM/DoF combo night on Tuesday was supposed be an experiment. It went from one month and was continued a second month. No further notices of continuance were made as to it being permanent. Are those of us that have been waiting for the experiment to end simply out of luck for the Isle to return to being Magic only on Tuesdays?

Thank you.
For the record, you are not the only player curious about the "experiment" and the actual length of its duration. I too have been wondering when the experiment would end, since there has been no official from DoM staff posted notice of the experiment being made a permanent feature of the duels.
The hand is quicker than the eye.
Delahada
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Deputy Director of Dickery

Post by Delahada »

Not gonna lie. DoF matches being held on the Isle dissuades me from participating Tuesdays for IC reasons. I was wondering about this myself, because of the upcoming Golden Apple Grab Tournament I signed up to participate in. I'd like to duel as many nights as possible, but if DoF is still on the Isle I'll have to skip Tuesdays or make Sal suck it up and suffer the discomfort of being in Magic Landia for a night. Kind of seesawing this one in my head as to what he'd do.

ETA: I know you ladies are asking probably for the sake of giving DoM it's own solo night again. But from my perspective, having DoF on the Isle is silly and my character won't go there. Nice that if he ever wanted to do Magic (UNLIKELY) there are Fight Nights (and days). But yeah. I'm with you that DoM should have its own night again.
Shadowlord
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Shadowlord »

I'd like to see DoM with its own night again, or at the least, some sort of vote by the community at large. I think that's fair.

I'd also be interested to see some hard numbers, but my impression is that aside from the first few weeks of the combo night, DoM duels have not in fact increased with the combo night. Before anyone shoots me down on this, know that I have not crunched numbers; I could well be wrong.

Also, I'd like to point out that it's become, in my perception, a caller availability issue. We're already stretched fairly thin throughout the week's shifts, so that if DoM did have its own night again, someone would need to step into that time slot on a regular basis. Someone who doesn't already have a regular shift. I don't think any caller should have to increase their current workload, under *any* circumstances.
Harris
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
King Of The Outback

Post by Harris »

There are a lot of issues to take into consideration. Fairness, caller availability, numbers, etc. What I've done is take a look back at Tuesdays and picked out some hard numbers to look at. I went back a full six months from the start of this experiment to see what both sports were looking at on Tuesdays, and then the numbers from April - July. The green highlight denotes the sport that logged the most duels for that month on Tuesday.

DoM Tuesdays

July - 14 duels
June - 8 duels
May - 15 duels
April - 21 duels (The month this joint night experiment started)
-------------------------
March - 6 duels
February - 19 duels
January - 20 duels
December - 21 duels
November - 15 duels
October - 46 duels

DoF Tuesdays

July - 36 duels
June - 17 duels
May - 27 duels

April - 18 duels (The month this joint night experiment started)
------------------------
March - 15 duels
February - 14 duels
January - 14 duels
December - 18 duels
November - 3 duels
October - 11 duels

Realistically, if we're comparing, DoM outdueled DoF on Tuesdays consistently in the months prior to this change.

If you look at a 4 month average, taking April - July & December - March to compare before and after, DoM has dropped from 16.5 to 14.5 duels monthly, while DoF has jumped from 15.3 duels monthly to 24.5.

Overall it seems like pushing the duels together sees a net gain, but it's DoF that benefits the heaviest from it.

Again, these numbers are only in relation to dueling in these sports on TUESDAY.
Shadowlord
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Shadowlord »

That analysis is very much appreciated, Harris.
DemiBob
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by DemiBob »

For what it's worth, coming out and watching the magic duels while trying to get fists is part of what motivated me to try it out. If DoM had remained separate, I probably would not have tried it when I did.
Napoleon Bonarat
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Napoleon Bonarat »

Aja would probably call on Tuesdays again if it was DOM only. Sorry, Aja, I threw you under the bus!

Tuesdays DOF before April was a snooze fest because there wasn't a regular caller, and the shift didn't start until 10 pm. I think Scarlet took on some of those shifts, but don't know if it was an official shift or if she just covered when she could.

Currently, Claire/Ajia and Lacey have the Tuesday DOF/DOM shift, right?

Ajia and Aja can do Tuesday DOM, and maybe Claire or Lacey can do a 9-12 shift for DOF?

Basically, if a caller is in a room, the duelists will come. :)

ETA: I'll argue a likely unpopular opinion, but I'd say that DOF doesn't actually need to be available six days a week. DOS is available four (Thu-Sun), DOM is available four (Fri-Sun, Tue), and DOF is available six (Mon-Wed, Fri-Sun), but probably only really needs to be available five times a week.
Last edited by Napoleon Bonarat on Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Napoleon Bonarat
PiRATes From Heck | Champions of Mythos | Badside Brawlers | CrushBob
Claire Gallows
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Eternal Light

Location: Dunmovin (Outside of Rhydin City), Underwood (New Haven), or Caelum Training Center

Post by Claire Gallows »

To the best of my knowledge, I've taken the Tuesday early shift completely due to Ajia's work schedule.
Lem DeAngelo
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Lem DeAngelo »

Claire Farron wrote:To the best of my knowledge, I've taken the Tuesday early shift completely due to Ajia's work schedule.
Right. The last I heard from Ajia, she could only call every other Tuesday.
Napoleon Bonarat
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Napoleon Bonarat »

True.

just problem solving here :)

DOM:

Claire/Ajia: early shift
Aja: late shift

or Ajia/Aja: 9-12

DOF: Lacey 9-12

Or DOF is dark letting DOM have a solo day. That way all the duels get at least one solo day where they aren't competing with another sport for participants. BUT That's a Matt/Kheldar decision to make. I'm just brainstorming.

Maybe this is a coordinator discussion.
Napoleon Bonarat
PiRATes From Heck | Champions of Mythos | Badside Brawlers | CrushBob
Claire Gallows
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Eternal Light

Location: Dunmovin (Outside of Rhydin City), Underwood (New Haven), or Caelum Training Center

Post by Claire Gallows »

Again, Ajia is not calling the early shift on Tuesdays anymore. As I said, I have taken it completely due to her work schedule per her request on the caller boards.

I'm not saying anything one way or the other on the rest of it. Just saying what the deal seems to be for the callers. If you split the sports again, you either have to shorten the shift and give someone a 3 hour shift and put one caller on each side or you scrounge up another caller to have 2 two-hour DoM shifts and a DoF shift. The latter doesn't seem like a feasible solution since we're lacking in that department already. Or you say no DoF on Tuesday nights, give DoM a night of their own and hope the activity makes up for what's lost.
DUEL Napoleon
RoH Official
RoH Official

Post by DUEL Napoleon »

Ah! OK. I did misunderstand that part, Claire! Thanks for clarifying.
Claire Gallows
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Eternal Light

Post by Claire Gallows »

No probs yo!
G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Location: Generally found at the Golden Ivy Tavern. If not there, then on the SpellJammer, his ship.

Post by G »

Outsiders point of view. Everything I've seen regarding the shared nights has been good. Activity and RP.

And those are my two cents. :)
G'nort Dragoon-Talanador
Duel of Swords Legend. Best In The World™.
First All Time DoS Title Holder.
Listed as "Daddy" in your daughters contacts list.

Return to “Duel of Magic (OOC)”