Challenge for Old Temple

Notices and stories concerning events in the legendary basement of the Duel of Swords.

Moderator: Staff

Capistrano
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Wolf Like Me

Challenge for Old Temple

Post by Capistrano »

::pinned to the board are a short, hand-written note, and a longer, type-written letter.::

With the Overlord Grant awarded to me by Candy Hart on January 26, 2013 R.S.C., I hereby challenge Rakeesh Sah Tarna for the Barony of Old Temple.

JJMC
Crew
Last edited by Capistrano on Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'll play a new part; I'll make a new start
All I was we'll burn it up in effigy
It's such a long war, but what I want more is you and me
The rest can burn in effigy
Capistrano
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Wolf Like Me

Post by Capistrano »

::typewritten, with a handwritten signature at the bottom.::

February 1, 2013 R.S.C.

To whom it may concern:

A lot of you are probably wondering why the hell I entered the Overlord Grant tournament, when I am three wins away from meeting the Show of Activity requirements to challenge for a barony. Some of you may be wondering why I am challenging a Renegade baron, when the smart strategic move would be to challenge one of the Loyal barons, saving my SoA challenge for a Renegade baron in the event I am unsuccessful in my challenge. This letter will, hopefully, answer both of those questions.

To the first question, there are several reasons why I entered the tournament. First, I had nothing to lose and plenty to gain. There is nothing in the rules that says Warlords cannot receive an Overlord grant. The Overlord, if she so desired, could have denied my last-minute request to enter her tournament. She could have even refused to award me the grant after winning the tournament, and she would have been within her rights. She chose to let me enter, and she chose to fulfill her end of the bargain in awarding me the grant after I won. Second, let’s face facts here. There was a field of 13 participants in that tournament. Forgive me if I’m wrong, but I was the only Warlord. And nobody managed to defeat. Tell me, if you are unable to defeat a Warlord, how the hell do you expect to defeat a Baron? I can tell you from personal experience, it’s hard to fight Barons and Overlords – I have lost two challenges in direct combat with a Baron, and one from intercession by the Overlord. That said, if you can’t beat me, what would make you think you’re any different? (I would like to point out that I regret not having the opportunity to cross swords with Gren Blockman or Rhiannon Brock during this tournament) There was plenty of talent present in this tournament, but they’re not quite ready yet.

To the second question, I can think of countless things to say, but what it comes back to is honor. The reason this tournament was held was to find someone to challenge Rakeesh Sah Tarna. To the extent that someone put up money of their own to ensure that the grant winner would challenge him. I refused that money and said that I would do the right thing free of charge, and I mean it. Baron, while I was appreciative of the fact that you were willing to duel on my behalf to ensure that I had the opportunity to challenge Apple, that does not make up for the fact that you have put forth the suggestion that magic users should register with the government, and that citizens be screened on the streets to determine whether or not they are magic users. Quite frankly, this is unacceptable. At the risk of making a slippery slope argument, I am reminded of a quote from when I was in school:

First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.

I am not a meta-human, but that does not mean this doesn’t affect me. Not only does this proposal violate the rights of RhyDin citizens who have magical abilities, it sets an awful precedent for the future. Today, it may be magic users that are asked to register, and screened for on the streets. Tomorrow, it may be psychics. Then empaths. Then telepaths. Then werewolves, and vampires, and angels, and demons, or anyone else with augmented physical and mental abilities. You are proposing the first steps toward a military state, when in fact it has been RhyDin’s freedoms that have made it the world it is. Flawed, to be sure, but there is no place else I would rather live right now. Your proposal would take that away from us all.

I had thought we had all learned our lesson years ago when Proposition 37 was on the agenda. We’re seeing the same things now that we saw back then – mistrust and violence against magic users, many of whose magical abilities are non-offensive in nature. Back then, the citizens of RhyDin resoundingly rose up and defeated the proposition, and we must do the same now.

I may not win this challenge, but no matter what, I wish to serve as an example. I will do what is right, no matter the cost, no matter the consequences. I would hope that is and always has been abundantly clear. Warlords – if I am not successful, then you must pick up the sword from me. Fight. Get your SoA duels in. Challenge Rakeesh. Make sure he does not implement this misguided, wrong policy. Ultimately, what is important is not whether I am the next Baron of Old Temple, but that the Baron be someone of good, upstanding character. If my legacy is to inspire others to achieve more than I am able to achieve, well, I will still sleep soundly at night even if I never win a title.

Sincerely,

Jay Capistrano
I'll play a new part; I'll make a new start
All I was we'll burn it up in effigy
It's such a long war, but what I want more is you and me
The rest can burn in effigy
DUEL Corlanthis
RoH Official
RoH Official

Post by DUEL Corlanthis »

While I would like to say that this Challenge is valid and may proceed, I cannot do that.

Jay, the rules state that you are required to name the Barony you are Challenging for when issuing Challenge and you did not. Please address this soonest because I would very much like to see this approved and carried out.
Andrea Anderson
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Less Than Three

Post by Andrea Anderson »

Jay, I'll be rooting for you!
Rakeesh
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Professional Duelist

Post by Rakeesh »

Warlord,

Once your challenge is approved, I will be happy to defend against you, as is your right. It is an interesting propaganda machine that casts me as a villain for expressing the opinion that we track magic users in Rhy'Din. Many of my dearest friends are magic-users. However, magic can be dangerous, and registering those with dangerous weapons is an important step - I believe - to keeping the streets safe from those who would misuse their abilities.

Or does no one here remember Myr'Khul, Drakhar Vanion Shadowcast and his mage-army's genocide of the Catholics within my district? I assure you that those families torn apart in the Old Temple District remember those events. Greater awareness and understanding of wicked individuals like Vanion and Shakira could have saved many lives.

And so is my reasoning. I suspect that were I a Loyal Baron to the Overlady, my beliefs would not have been spun into this portrayal of me as a bigot.

I am a defender and a believer in the good in people. But weapons are weapons, and those who cannot defend themselves deserve our sincere efforts to protect them against those who would murder them in the streets.

Sincerely,
Rakeesh Sah Tarna
Baron of the Old Temple District
When I am silent, I have thunder hidden inside.

[OOC: Twitter is the best way to stay in touch. <3]
Goldglo
Coordinator
Coordinator

Post by Goldglo »

Rakeesh,

I feel quite safe in stating your Baronial alignment has nothing to do with people's reactions to your proposal. Had you been present at the latest Governor's Advisory Council Meeting, I believe you'd know not to make such a baseless statment.

I believe that you have good intentions with your proposal, just as some of the Mage and Enchanter Registration Act (Proposition 37) backers did. Intentions, however, make the proposal no less insulting or, quite simply, wrong.

Registering magic-users will do little to make Rhydin a safer city. It will do little to bring communities together. Rather, paranoia will rise and distrust will increase. The city will fragment, as it did before. Proposition 37 resulted in terrible consequences for this city. Please, do not repeat those mistakes.

The public record makes my stance against Proposition 37 quite clear - I hold the same stance against your proposal.

I caution you against keeping on this course. I ask that you review Rhydin's recent past, the negative consequences of an action like this, and then re-evaluate your stance. Should you persist, Battlefield Park stands against you, as do I.

--Matthew Algiers Simon
Tasslehofl Momus
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Tasslehofl Momus »

Rakeesh, (for I will not call you Baron of my district)

You argue that those who posses dangerious weapons should be registered. You have, in turn, just labeled the entirety of Rhydin, as needing to be registered.

You, yourself, have made yourself a target, and Loyal or not, you are the one who has made these claims, not the Overlady. She did not tell you what to say. Loyal or not, you have made your bed.

While your pathetic excuses of Vanion and Shakira and Myr'Khul might instill worry to your lackluster crowd, I can assure you that the citizens of my district no longer cower in the shadows, as you would have them. They have found their feet and have learned to deal with their troubles head on. They know that they are the ones who matter, not the one who claims rights to them because they live in some district. They have taken the time to learn what they need to do to defend themselves. They have sought out help, and guidance, and are ready for whatever comes their way.

Your pathetic excuse to try and force people to 'register' has only made those in my district more adamant to stand their ground and do what they have to in order to make sure their families are safe, not only from the likes of which you named, but from those like you.

If you really wanted to help the people, you'd find a way. Rather, you just want to chain them.

There will come a day that those who you wish to chain will come calling, and you may very well find yourself declawed, toothless, weaponless, and perhaps even chained. All because you want to make sure all those who have weapons should be registered.

Signed
~Tass
Seirichi
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Queen of The Outback

Post by Seirichi »

I'm still calling dibs on his pelt if anyone skins him.
Capistrano
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Wolf Like Me

Post by Capistrano »

((title should be changed now. Sorry for the confusion!))
Shariane
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Shariane »

Rakeesh Sah Tarna;

My own mate was a victim of such registrations on his home world. In those times, he was forced to bury much of his family. I am certain many will understand the words Auschwitz and World War II.

What you propose will do nothing to stop individuals like Vanion, Shakira... Or men like Hilter and Travanix who do not have Magic...

You are not defending people by this action. But your actions have allowed good people to be killed in the name of your bigoted actions. At least 4 people have died in the name of your proposal... 4 innocent people... I hope your conscience allows you to sleep at night.

The alignment claim is a straw-man argument to try and deflect responsibility for your own actions.

I am in the corner behind Jay for this one.

Sincerely;
Healing Adept Shariane Uth Dravon
}¥{ Nøble Høuse Uth Ðravøn }¥{

"United we stand, divided we fall; Unity amongst diversity."
Rhiannon Brock
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Rhiannon Brock »

Jay,

I'd be pleased to cross weapons with you in the ring at any time.

I wish you the best of luck in this challenge to depose Rakeesh, whose actions have already been the catalyst for several deaths in the city, as the holder barony once held by my father, Tass, and sister, Rhiannon Harker. Should you desire one and not have one at the time of the challenge, I would be honored stand as your second.

Rhiannon Brock
Squire of Battlefield Park

------------------

Rakeesh Sah Tarna,

Your choice to stand Loyal or Renegade to Overlord Hart has nothing to do with the fact that what you have proposed is, at best, an invasion of personal privacy to Rhydin's citizenry and her visitors. My father, Tasslehofl Momus, and my sister, Rhiannon Harker, have both held the barony that you do now. During their time, people were generally able to live their lives in peace.

You speak of murder, yet, you seem not to understand that your request has already caused several deaths. Magic users, whether or not they are guilty of crimes, have now become targets for zealots who have decided that they have the right to kill them simply because they have a gift that they do not. You do not have the right to assume others might commit a crime because they are capable of doing so. That sort of thinking would have every man in jail because he is a would be rapist and every woman in jail because she is a would be prostitute.

You ask if others remember the heinous deeds of Myr'Khul and Drakhar Vanion Shadowcast. However, it seems that you no knowledge of the fact that the people rose up against a similar proposal as yours about four years ago. It resulted in the deaths of both supporters of the cause as well as law abiding magic users.

I think my six year old niece, Maggie, has posed an interesting situation which you are free to read on the cork of Twilight Isle, "Maybe the lionman should get asked if he wants to have a leash and collar on him all the time. I bet he says no!" You speak of the murder of children, yet, you seek to place Maggie and others like her at the mercy of those would automatically deem her to be a threat. For her, other children like her, and those that come after, I shall always stand against those that believe as you do, guilty until proven innocent.

Rhiannon Brock
Squire of Battlefield Park
"The definition of hero never included anything about age." RDB
Rakeesh
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Professional Duelist

Post by Rakeesh »

Injured and Aggravated Parties,

Surely, atrocity can be committed by a man, or woman, or elf - or mage. I vehemently oppose violence committed against innocent lives. And yet, I will not disregard my stance on this subject. There is no weapon capable of such destruction as magic. It exists purely on a tier of its own.

I have read that, in some worlds, it is not uncommon to demand the registration of particularly dangerous weapons, such as guns, or even swords. To me, magic is both the most wonderful thing that exists in this world - and the most dangerous.

Let us know who wields the power to destroy cities, worlds. Knowledge is our greatest shield against the horror that can be magic unchecked.

And so too, let us act with wisdom and not bring violence upon our neighbors, whether they be Powerless or Mage.

I will defend my Barony again and again to propagate my beliefs. Despite Tass' claims, the common folk of my district - and all of Rhy'Din - deserve our aid in this.

Never forget Shakira. Never forget Vanion. Vigilance and compassion for all citizens are the way forward.

Your Public Servant,
Rakeesh Sah Tarna
When I am silent, I have thunder hidden inside.

[OOC: Twitter is the best way to stay in touch. <3]
Spell
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Cult of Personality

Post by Spell »

I'm a witch! I enjoy burning, sacrificing baby animals, stalking children so that I could sap their souls while they innocently play in parks or venture home from schools!

I only have ONE thing to say to you RAKEESH!

You are a kitty! Go drink milk and sit in a lap!
Shariane
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Shariane »

Rakeesh Sah Tarna

As with any tool Magic can be used to hurt or heal... Destroy or Create.

It is you that fails to understand these distinctions. I heal the wounds created by those that would blatantly weild magic without thought or Consequence. I have see what a *true* mage war has done to creatures and people. I am one such creature, created through the misuse of magic.

I am a healing MAGE and I have been healing those wounds for decades.

However, Magic is just a tool and ability.

Healing Adept Shariane Uth Dravon
Last edited by Shariane on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
}¥{ Nøble Høuse Uth Ðravøn }¥{

"United we stand, divided we fall; Unity amongst diversity."
Kimone Kidd
Adventurer
Adventurer
The Karate Hottie

Post by Kimone Kidd »

I maintain you're a bigot, Rakeesh. Where I am from, Lions are dangerous animals and kept behind cages or tagged and left to roam in Africa.

I maintain you're a danger to people everywhere, you must me tagged or put behind bars in a zoo before you go and eat innocent children.

Oh, and nothing so dangerous as magic? Three words, Nuclear freaking weapons. Don't know what they are? I'll give you a brochure, once you're in your cage.

Return to “The Arena”