Chat Log Viewing

Everything else, including the kitchen sink.

Moderator: Staff

Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

Chat Log Viewing

Post by Kalamere »

Throughout DoS Madness I've found myself reviewing chat logs and finding their display somewhat difficult to follow. Knowing other folks, and especially Marc Franco, probably have the same issue, I decided to write a little interface to make it a little bit more friendly to the eyes. If you never read through the logs this is of no benefit to you, but if you do then feel free to play with the tool:

The current version of the chat viewing tool lives here: http://duelingzone.org/lurker/

Once Jake and I work through some other things going on with the duelingzone sites, it's probably going to move, but I'll post an update when that happens. For now it's under DoS Madness because that's been my playground for the last month or so.

From the list of rooms that pops up, pick the one you want to see logs for and click it. This is a static list, so if new rooms get added to either site they won't show up on the list until I know to add it. Feel free to send me a PM or an EMail.

The next page is a list of the hourly logs for the given room.
* RoH: The RoH site only creates logs when there was actually some activity in the room. The downside is that it takes a little time to list them because I have to do some searching on the back-end to see what exists. The upside is that anything you select from the resulting list will have content in it.
* RDI: RDI lists every hour regardless of room activity. That being the case, there's no outside information I need so the hours list comes up a lot faster.

Click on the hour that interests you. Now you're into the view form. When it first loads it looks just like the chat logs do today except for the option tabs at the top and the navigation bar at the bottom. What follows is a list of what's in those option tabs and what they do:

Format Options:
* Display log in table format: Checking this box puts the log in a table and forces sentence wrap so that you don't need to keep scrolling left and right to follow.

* Apply colors: Requires table format to be on. Checking this will apply a random'ish color to each chat room participant, so that all their lines sent will be the same color and, hopefully, make it easier to pick out who is talking when you're following a conversation.

* Show Time Stamps: Pretty self explanatory. Shows or removes timestamps from the log display.

* Show Room Entrance / Exit Messages: Again, pretty self explanatory.

* Save Format Options: Clicking this will set a browser cookie for you that will store the options you've set on this tab. This keeps you from having to reset the same options every time you use the tool.

View Options:
* Here you will find a list of all of the UserNames to appears in the given log. In parens to the right of each name is a number indicating how many lines they sent in and to the left is a checkbox that, by default, is checked. Unchecking a box will remove the person from the log. Re-check it and they'll come back.

* Remove All or Include All buttons: They do just what the say. If you've been playing with the checkboxes and want to reset, click Include All and all the lines come back into the log. The Remove All button is probably more useful. If you want to follow a conversation between two or three people you don't want to have to uncheck all the others in the room. Easier to hit remove all and then add back in the few that you're interested in.

Other Stuff
* Printer Friendly'ish Output: All this does is take your current view settings and create a new page with it and without the tab options or bottom navigation bar.

* Text Filter: Type something you want to search for into the box and hit the apply button. The display will scale down to include only those lines in the log that contain what you're searching on. This turned out more powerful than I hoped and it supports most Regular Expression functionality. Such as:
  • * search for multiple words at the same time, separate them with a pipe: eg: scotch|bourbon|beer
    * search for different versions of a word putting variables in braces: dr[iau]nk to show drink, drank or drunk
    * wild card numbers with \d eg: "\d\d bottles of beer" will match 10-100+ bottles of beer, but not 1-9.
    * lots of other stuff
Top and Bottom Arrows:
At the top of the options box and at the very bottom of the page you will see left and right pointing arrows. These will take you to the previous or next hour respectively. Note that this is the next real time hour and doesn't honor the RoH method of only putting up logs that exist, so you may well end up on a display that doesn't exist. Note also that the next page will not honor whatever you've selected under the View Options tab, so you'll need to re-select the names you want to display / exclude.

That's pretty much it. Comments / Questions / Bug Reports / Feature Requests are all welcome. The best way to reach me is through email to this name @aol.com.

~Kal

(Sticky applied by G)
edit Sept 29, 2014: Updated link to new location
Last edited by Kalamere on Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Locke DVestavio
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Locke DVestavio »

Dude, that is some fantastic programming you have done with the room logs. I tip my hat wholeheartedly to you.
Carley
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Carley »

Ho-ly crap.

Amazing! Props. They are yours. For serious.
G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Location: Generally found at the Golden Ivy Tavern. If not there, then on the SpellJammer, his ship.

Post by G »

Yeeeeah...

I'm going to add my kudos here as well. I had a caller fail to post his duel reports, and using this tool to look up the caller only to see what duels he called was AMAZINGLY HELPFUL!

So yeah. Awesome. Thanks!
G'nort Dragoon-Talanador
Duel of Swords Legend. Best In The World™.
First All Time DoS Title Holder.
Listed as "Daddy" in your daughters contacts list.
Xenograg
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Bey

Post by Xenograg »

Bravo!
"The stupidest creative act is still a creative act, and that the real gap isn't between the mediocre and great work. The real gap is between getting started and doing nothing. If you've created something, even if it's stupid, you've put yourself in a position to do more." - Clay Shirky
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

Post by Kalamere »

Thanks =)

Like I said, any feature requests or what not, let me know.

Jake found a bug where the top next button was actually going to the previous log, which was kinda confusing! That's fixed now.
Locke DVestavio
Adventurer
Adventurer

I've been going back and forth as to whether or not I think this would be useful or not, but...some people do take stuff they've played in chat and format it out to post to the forums. When they do that, they often strip out the time stamps and screen names. And I do see an option to get rid of the time stamps, and I'm wondering if an option to get rid of the SNs would make sense or not. If you can limit to only the SNs you're interested in displaying text for, and THEN take out the SN, that seems ideal.

Thoughts?
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

Post by Kalamere »

Sure. You'll find a checkbox for that option under the "Other Stuff" tab now. Check it and UserNames will vanish, un-check and they'll come back.

Basically the same function I had in there for removing the timestamps, so was fairly easy to implement.

~Kal
Locke DVestavio
Adventurer
Adventurer

Awesome! That totally rocks! Thanks a million for your effort on this!
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

Post by Kalamere »

Since I've been using this thing again to hunt down Madness results, I found some changes / features it could use. To that end I've added the following and hope those of you who use the tool will find them useful as well. As always, please let me know if you run across any bugs or have an idea for additional functionality.

Top Navigation Tabs:
* Added hover highlighting to make it more obvious which tab you're selecting.
* Clicking the open tab name will now close the tab. Previously tab close was only with the black bar across the bottom.

Other Stuff Options:
* Text Filter will now work on a key press basis. Removed the "apply" button as no longer necessary. Start typing your search term in the box and displayed lines will automatically begin narrowing down to what you're looking for.

View Options:
* You can now change foreground and background colors used for each person in the room. Click a user name in the options box and the new color options box will appear. Please note that these options are not saved anywhere, so they will be lost when you leave the current page. Some of the "random" color selections kinda suck, so I put this in to deal with some of the more difficult to read options.

Load Next Hour (new):
* Because of the above issue with losing custom colors when leaving the page, I've added a feature to pull more data onto the page and therefore keep these options in place longer. At the bottom of the log there is a box that says "Load Next Hour". Clicking that will do exactly what it says it does. You can continue clicking it and loading more hours into the page as long as you like, though you'll eventually run out of available hours. All selected options will remain in place, with the possible exception of which players to show lines from if you've been playing with the View Options tab (though it will maintain custom colors). Most times that should work too though.

ETA: figures, I post this before I think to test on IE. Firefox and Chrome are fine, but IE is busted for View Options and Load Next Hour... off to try and fix that.

.. ok, I think I have IE working now too.
Last edited by Kalamere on Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Candy Hart
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
The Hardest Ever

Post by Candy Hart »

I was using Chrome to look at the logs this morning for the Annex from Friday night. There seems to be something going on with the "View Options" in that all the people in the room are no longer being listed to select or deselect. Was that an intended change?
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

Post by Kalamere »

No, not intentional. I broke that while tying to fix the IE stuff. Should work for you again now Candy, but please let me know if it doesn't.

~Kal
Candy Hart
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
The Hardest Ever

Post by Candy Hart »

Yay it's back!

Now I can fully enjoy your improvements! Thank you!
Rayvinn
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Rayvinn »

I cannot express how much love I have for the features on this log viewer.

Thanks so much, Kalamere!
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

Post by Kalamere »

It was recently brought to my attention that the next/previous log arrows were not working in MSIE. The page they took you to gave an error.

IE treats the getYear function differently than expected, so the arrows were technically working, but they were attempting to take you to logs that won't exist until the year 3912.

This has been corrected and the next / previous buttons should work properly across the FF / Chrome / MSIE. (probably others as well, but these are all I've tested).

~Kal

Return to “Thoughts at Large”