Trials, Tribulations and Truth

From ship to shore, duels to duty. Jaleeisa's adventures in life, love, work and play.

Moderators: Jaleeisa, Chereylen

Jaleeisa
Adventurer
Adventurer

Trials, Tribulations and Truth

Post by Jaleeisa »

The stallion picked his way along the road with little guidance from Jal. Her thoughts wondering to how much her life had changed and how quickly. Perhaps not the best thing to do, as she rode along the deserted road. But the stallion and she had finally come to an understanding. She would treat him well and not bind him with ropes of air. But he could not rear and try to toss her about, nor could he bear his teeth at her. He could use the keen animal sense that all horses seemed to have to warn her should something not be aright in the smell of the air. Something that had saved them both when she’d stopped to make camp the night before. Those wolves seemed rather surprised to be wrapped in air and lifted into the tree. Only two of them, true, but still a danger to a lone woman and her mount in the wilds. Oh, she’d let them down once they were on their way again. Lucky chance it had occurred near dawn, otherwise Jal and her stallion would have been exhausted before they reached their destination. Even the stallion seemed to enjoy hearing the pair yelp and hare off in the opposite direction, whining like pups, once Jal had released them.

She’d been a little nervous, setting out on her own like this. And not just for the dangers of wolves or other wild creatures. A woman alone was often the target of both man and beast. But between her skills and the stallion’s keen senses of smell and hearing, they were doing rather well. The few met on the road seemed to be little more than farmers or peddlers moving goods to and from Rhydin to the small seacoast town of Neras Point. The few she’d spoken a few words with assured her that the road was kept safe. There were not only the merchant’s guards keeping watch over the goods, but she’d also come across a few town guards, for lack of better description. One had told her, when asked, that the town and Rhydin both kept them funded so that the trade route would be safe for the merchants and farmers in the surrounding areas. So, Jal felt justified, between that knowledge and her stallion’s sense that all was well, in letting her attention wander a little.

So far, save for the wolves, it had been an uneventful journey. She concentrated on that, gratefully, and the surrounding countryside and farms seen at a distance, rather than the reason for the trip. Maybe if she could just pretend that it was a pleasure and sight-seeing journey, she could keep that lump clogging her throat from choking her. It had been something of a surprise when the messenger had tapped on her door. She’d flung the door wide, thinking it to be one of her friends, and been a little started to find a strange, gangling barely dry behind the ears lad holding out a well creased scroll. His announcement, in a cracking, not yet settled to manhood voice, that he presented Jaleeisa Windstar, late of the “Dragon’s Eye”, now of Rhydin with a missive from Barrister Quoril Trannyth, Esq. of Neras Point. Curious, but hiding it well as she tipped the lad and wished him safe travels. Jal had taken the scroll back to her bed, sitting cross-legged as she studied it. Casting a detect spell over it had revealed no magic or magical traps. Untying the ribbons, she settled back against the headboard to read.
Jaleeisa
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jaleeisa »

Greetings to you, Jaleeisa Windstar,

Be it known that I am Quoril Trannyth, Esq. of Neras Point, Barrister retained by the regretfully now deceased Groarin Tarmikos, Captain of the “Dragon’s Eye” schooner. I should like to offer my condolences on your recent loss of your foster father.

The late Captain left some items, along with a scroll, in my keeping for you, should any ill befall him. His strict instructions were that the items and scroll were to be discharged from my keeping into yours by me personally. I regret that I am unable to journey to you and that I must request that you join me in Neras Point at your earliest convenience. Enclosed is a note of hand that you may redeem with the moneychanger Davos Goldhand there in Rhydin. He should not be difficult to find from your current residence of the Red Dragon Inn. You shall need conveyance to the town. I understand you have some skill with mana, unfortunately it will not avail you in your journey. Neras Point is warded to prevent magical attack and this will prevent you transporting by the paths of magic. The note should provide enough coin to purchase good mounts or a carriage, should you wish, as well as retain the services of a few guards to see you safely.

I look forward to our meeting. There are many things I must impart to you once you have read the scroll.

And it was signed in a flourishing script.

So, with a somewhat mysterious missive, she found herself making a trip to a place she’d never heard of, to meet a man she’d never heard mentioned by her Captain.
Jaleeisa
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jaleeisa »

Topping a winding rise in the road, Jal’s attention rapidly came back to the present. A bustling town spread out before her, the sea edging it on two sides. Lush woodland provided a gentle caress to the nearer southern side of the coast. She could make out the ships resting at anchor in the port from her vantage. The stallion pawed the ground restlessly. He could sense that a cosy stable and a bucket of oats rested somewhere below and was eager to find them. Jal held him in check without thought of it. She wanted to get some kind of gauge of this town before she went down. But only so much could be told from a distance. So it was onward and downward.

Reaching the outskirts of the town about an hour later, she paused to brush aside several tendrils caressing her cheek. Gray eyes studied the warren of streets ahead of her. As she approached the town’s gates, a pause at the gatehouse found a grizzled old soldier with a limp. But he was kinder than appearance would lead one to believe. Jal was given directions to the Inn that was mentioned in the second page of the scroll, which contained a map showing her way. A slight tingle brushed her skin as she moved through the gates. A faint frown as the glow of mana any spellcaster could always find within dimmed to a candle’s flicker. How could one diminish the core of mana within one? She would have expected a binding, yes, to keep spells from being hurled. Perhaps a negating spell to back it. But to literally feel the mana’s glow diminish... well, it was disconcerting, to say the least. A mystery she would certainly be asking the barrister to explain.

The Inn looked well kept and as comfortably homey as one could expect of an Inn. Whitewashed walls gleamed in the midmorning light. A lad came right away to hold her stirrup. She was pleased to see him mindful of the stallion’s sharp teeth. Dismounting, she tugged the saddlebags from the saddle. A pat to the stallion’s side, then neck as she looked the beast in the eyes. Silently requesting that he mind his manners with the lad and in the stable. With a snort and a toss of his head, the stallion displayed his agreement. Turning with a smile to the lad, she fished out a silver coin, flipping it to him. “Another like it, lad, before I leave if you would be so kind as to brush and comb him and give him a goodly measure of oats as well as hay and water. And let’s have the stablemaster look at his hooves. The road was smooth, but there are always rocks.” The lad grinned his agreement and turned the stallion to the stables. With the absent thought that she really needed to ask the stallion his name sometime later, she really couldn’t just keep calling him “Horse”, Jal made her way into the Inn.

Making her way towards the bar, a motherly figure in a long apron with tendrils of graying red hair teasing at plump, rosy cheeks hurried to meet her.
“Welcome to the High Tide, m’lady. We have clean, comfortable rooms for hire and the midday feast is rosemary and mint roasted lamb with roasted potatoes and buttered parsnips with fresh baked bread. The sweet is a warm, flaky peach pie. Ale or wine with the meal for two copper more. So, how may I serve you?”

“ I’ve need of a room, good mistress, and a meal as well. And after, if you could help me find a messenger to send word of my arrival to a barrister here in town?”

“Aye, m’lady, all that we can do. Let me show you to a room after I send for hot water to wash away the road dust to be brought up. If you’d not mind waiting here a moment?” Jal nodded with a smile to reassure, then gray eyes wandered over the common room, taking in the wide fireplace with a modest fire on such a warm day, the well scrubbed tables and comfortable looking chairs. A harpist played gently on a raised platform to the side of the fireplace. Noticing that much was all she’d had time for before the Innkeep returned, a key in hand to lead her to a room.
Jaleeisa
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jaleeisa »

Some time later, after washing away the dust and changing to fresh breeches and blouse, then enjoying the fine meal, Jal leaned back comfortably in her chair. Fingering the missive to the barrister, written on parchment provided by the Innkeep, rolled and sealed with wax. A sip of the wine that had gone so well with her meal, gray eyes moved over the common room. A sight of a small lad in well cared for garb matching that of the older boy that had delivered the barrister’s scroll brought her up straighter.
“Be you Lady Windstar? Mistress Dearhold sent word that you’d a message to be delivered.” The lad asked, bright blue eyes ashine with excitement over the job. A soft chuckle escaped Jal as she looked him over. “Aye, lad. A scroll to a barrister in town. Can you read, lad? The name is scripted on the outside. But I’ll tell you so there’s no misunderstanding. Tis to a fellow named Quoril Trannyth. See he gets this. I’m not sure what the going rate for delivery is here.. But surely a silver penny should see it done, aye?” Jal’s smile widened as the lad’s eyes did the same. A whole silver penny! And he needed not pay it in to his employer since the lady had sent a generous payment along with her request for the service! Then his manners got the better of him, he scuffed a boottip against the spotless floor. “Nae, Lady. You’ve sent payment to my master. He told me so b’fore I was sent. He’d be angry should he think I was charging again.” Laughter bubbled up as Jal ruffled the boy’s hair. “Nae, lad. I know tis been paid for. The silver penny be for a wee, bright lad to keep to spend for himself. My thanks that you would see to this for me promptly and without losing the scroll, aye?” The lad turned a grin up to her. Pride in his mission and determination to see the lady not let down fairly glowed from his eyes. “Aye, Lady, t’will be as you say. Shall I wait for a return?” “Aye, lad. For a few moments at least. The barrister may have something to be brought back to me. Should he, there’ll be a slice of apple pie waiting for you in the kitchens while I read it.”

Chuckling softly as the lad bounded out at nearly a dead run, Jal relaxed back to enjoy her wine while she waited. With luck, she could still make it back for Topaz’s home warming party at the Citidel. She was truly looking forward to that. But this trip had to be made. And since she knew now that the warding ended at the town’s gates, she could transport from outside them back to the Inn in Rhydin. Knowing both where one was as well as one wanted to go was the key to transporting. And her strength with that spell was such that she could comfortably transport her stallion with her. But while she was here, perhaps she could do some shopping in the market she’d passed and find her boss a unique housewarming gift to take back with her.
Jaleeisa
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jaleeisa »

Winding her way through the streets of Neras Point, Jal took in all the sights of a bustling seaport. The grin she wore was at the familiar sounds and sights along with the smell of the sea combined with the bustle of merchants and farmers with their wares displayed. She didn’t paused to browse, though. The small lad was leading the way to the barrister’s office. She was rather curious as to why she’d needed to make this trip. Surely her Captain had pretty much said what was needed during his last moments. But, he could be a sentimental man, beneath his gruff mask.

“Here it be, M’lady.” came the piping voice at her elbow. “Do ya wish me to wait and guide you back to the Inn?” A small shake of Jal’s head brought a droop to the lad’s head. “Nae, lad. Amuse yourself in the market for a bit with your silver penny, but be sure to be at the door in about an hour. If I finish before that, I’ll do a bit of shopping and meet you here then. If I’ve not, then you might wait for me.” Having seen him dim at her headshake, she watched him brighten measurably at the chance to spend his windfall. And to continue to guide the generous lady. Her smile to him was warm, if amused as she patted his shoulder briefly before squaring her own to enter the barrister’s office.

Moving into the open room, gray eyes brushed the elegant portrait on one wall, the heavy linen draperies at the windows and the comfortably stuffed, damask covered chairs resting before a fine, cherrywood desk. A stooped older man took his ease behind the shining expanse of cherrywood. A smile of welcome creasing his face. “Ah, you must be Jaleeisa. Please excuse my not rising to greet you.. I find it difficult to stand.” A motion was made to the wheeled chair he occupied as he rolled it from behind for her to see not only the chair, but wasted legs clad in fine polished silk robes. “ I thank you for making the journey to me and apologize for that need once more. Travel is difficult for me.” Motioning to one of the chairs before the desk, he offered Jal a seat. “Aye, I can see why, and that is one mystery solved for me.” Jal replied as she settled into the indicated chair. “ Twas good of you to track me down to make sure I received the Captain’s missive, sir.”

“Ah, not only a missive, Jaleeisa. But let us start with that, then we may discuss the rest of your inheritance and I can answer the questions I’m sure you’ll have.” The barrister retrieved a scroll from a drawer and handed it across to a very puzzled Jal. “Inheritance?”, she murmured softly. “Aye, lass,” the barrister’s voice gentling, “your inheritance from both your deceased parents as well as the late Captain. But questions and explanations can come after you read.. I believe it will answer some before you ask them.. But may bring more to rise.”

A slight nod as she broke the seal on the scroll, unrolling it. Eyes stinging a little at the sight of her foster father’s neat, rolling hand.
Jaleeisa
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jaleeisa »

Paperwork.. Lots of it. A whole forest worth, it seemed. Later that evening, she sat, not in the room she’d taken at the Inn, but at a cosy little cottage just down the coast enough to be called out of town. The hand hewn lumber still had a rich smell to it. Despite having been felled and smoothed long before her birth. Jal dragged in a deep breath as she glanced to the tower of papers. She wasn’t sure she was really cut out for this inheritance stuff. She’d left the barrister’s office in something of a daze. His manservant had accompanied her back to the Inn. After re-packing the couple items she’d pulled form her pack and gathering her saddle bags, she’d assured the innkeeper that nothing at all was amiss and that she was to keep the price paid for the room. The manservant had waited with her for her horse to be brought around, then guided her to this cottage.
The barrister had let her read the letter from her late Captain. And he was right, it had raised as many questions as it had answered. Her Captain begging her pardon for raising her onboard after her Father’s death. He felt that perhaps it was the only way to keep her safe. He explained how her Father had died.. Not something pleasant to think on for long.. Not right now anyway. Suffice to know it was similar to her Captain. Not a pirate, as she’d thought. An assassin. Sent for reasons she still did not really understand. Both her Father and her Captain had been honest seamen. Carrying trade goods. But apparently, from what the barrister said, it was for carrying the wrong cargo for the wrong person. How could one be brought to send hired killers for such a thing? But it did explain her Captain’s insistence that the skills he’d seen she was taught be used to find and return the same to the hand that wielded the dagger that had taken both lives. Not the assassin himself, though that was a mission Jal set for herself, but the hand behind the gold. A hand that would be found beneath the same insignia that her hand would forever bear.

A deep sigh as she settled in the chair once more. Gray eyes moving past the papers to the cottage that was now hers. She could see the touches of her Mother’s hand. Yenlannan had died when Jal was only three, but she still recognized the shawl that her Mother had often worn. It looked and felt very much like the gossamer of spider’s silk. Light, airy and softer than anything Jal had ever handled since. The pale gold had always made her pale golden hair shine brighter than the sun. Closing her eyes, Jal could bring to life in her mind the only picture she’d ever had of her Mother. One of her dancing through a narrow stream, golden hair flying, the golden shawl spread like the wings of a bird, her gray eyes dancing with merriment and life as she teased her daughter into making the wind pick up just a little. Such were her earliest lessons in weather craft. She could also see again her father. Much heavier of build than her Elven born Mother. The human had captured her heart and she never seemed to regret it. Her Father’s warm brown eyes holding a glow of love and pride as he watched his wife and daughter. Paetorin Windstar’s greatest loves were all met when his wife, daughter and his ships were in one place.

Opening her eyes, they fell upon the pipe sitting in a rest. Her Father’s pipe. In this cottage she barely remembered, there was so much of them there. And the Captain as well. She recognized several logbooks scribed in his hand. There was also a coat that would never have fit her Father. There were so many things here that had been intimate to her family. It was almost painful just being here.
Jaleeisa
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jaleeisa »

The papers.. Glancing back to them, she bent to pick another from the pile. The barrister had been meticulous all these years. He’d kept the ships’ records for the Captain. All the legers for all the trips showing the cargo, the payments when they were delivered as well as figures from re-fitting each time. There had also been lists of belongings that had came to her with the inheritance. Along with a rather eyebrow raising amount of coin. Even in her stunned state, it had indeed raised her eyebrows when the amount was mentioned. The barrister had suggested she take a couple days, remain at the cabin. There was a widow and her teenaged son to care for the place, with a slightly smaller cabin behind a little in the wood for them to live in. They had already agreed to stay on since htere would be no change but that she would come to visit and relax and perhaps someday far into the future come to live there permanently.

But Jal really didn’t have a couple of days, so back into the paperwork she went. She’d already missed Topaz’s party and she had a job to return to in a couple days. The barrister had agreed to continue to oversee things for her. But he did want her to understand her inheritance. To be aware of her holdings, as he’d phrased it. He understood her need to not only continue with the new life she’d built in Rhydin, But also her need to absorb everything and come to terms with some of the things she’d learned. He would counsel her in the business of running two ships. As well as the other small holdings. He would continue to provide the funds to pay the widow and her son and see them comfortable and the upkeep of the cottage and ships from the ships’ earnings. Those things were easy enough to understand. Though she’d need to study the paperwork further later on the shares of several crops, including the sugar cane. She wasn’t completely clear on those, but further study when she wasn’t so overwhelmed and tired would take care of that. Then there were the shares in a fledgling silk farm. It was the suggested investments that she really needed to put mind to at the moment. He’d mentioned a rum distillery and a farmer that had been having some really good results with a new breed of wheat. And suggested that shares in the farmer’s success might be turned into another business where the farmer’s brother was using the wheat to brew a new kind of ale. Those were the things she was studying at the moment. Those and a few other suggested investments that she’d need to give approval to or decline when she and the Barrister met on the morrow.

And study she did, late into the night. Here and there thoughts of her friends and doings in Rhydin and the rings would distract her for a few moments. Then she would force her attention back to the business at hand. She meant to be back in Rhydin late the next evening. After taking care of the business that was needed, doing some shopping, gathering a few things that had been her parents’ to take back with her. Then she would be able to transport herself and the stallion back to Rhydin. She’d checked the area around the cottage and found there were no wards, as she’d guessed. Those were around the town only and extended a little out around the docks. So, getting back would not be a problem. A good thing too. She’d been away much longer than she’d expected to begin with. Hopefully the stallion wouldn’t be very upset at being transported. She’d have to explain it tomorrow. And find out his name.

And with that last thought, her Mother’s shawl snuggled over her chest, Jal drifted off to sleep. A paper still in her hand fell to rest on her stomach.
Jaleeisa
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jaleeisa »

Dawn peeking through the curtains brought Jal to reluctant escape of dreams. Groaning softly as a tap came at the door, her struggles to get up from the chair would have been comical had any seen them. A day and a half riding a horse, then a short respite, then back on the horse for a couple miles, followed by a night spent in a chair made her joints feel as though she were old. But youth did recover quickly, a stretch as she called out to the person tapping on the door at barely dawn. That stretch releasing the bind on her muscles and joints with a rapid fire popping. Moving to the door, she twitched aside the curtain beside to find the young lad that helped care for the place. When the door opened, he was greeted with a warm smile rather than the glowering scowl she’d worn a few moments before.

“M’ma, she be askin’ if ya be wantin’ morn’feast, m’lady.” The lad scuffed a toe against the flagstones that lead to the door. “An’ she said th’ if ya be wantin’ a bathe, I was ta tell ya I’d ahh.. Tha’ I coul’.. Tha’ I woul’ fill th’ copper tub in th’ bathin’ room for ya right quick.” That seeming to embarrass the lad mightily. Jal’s lips twitched, but she managed to contain the smile. “Aye, Dreagor, morning feast sounds wonderful. As for the bath, if you would bring the water, I can see to the filling myself. But I do thank you for the offer.” The lad glanced back up at her. Relief shown quite plainly in his eyes. Though not for getting out of the work, she was sure. He was a not quite to his teens lad. Jal was sure it was more the discomfort of a young male imagining a young woman bathing. He wasn’t sure if it was still a repulsive thing or something to get excited about. And Jal had removed the need for him to decide which. Hauling water was a normal thing and he could tell himself that it was just water for the kitchen.

“Aye, m’lady. An’ ya’ll be wantin’ yer horse readied, aye?” At this, the lad did brighten significantly. Another thing to mention to the barrister this morning. Several ideas had occured to Jal during the evening as needed to make Maerion and Draegor’s lives a little easier and better. And who knew? If she started him out with a couple horses, perhaps eventually the small cottage in the back could be grown into a horse farm. Either to raise horses, or crops or both, should the lad prove skillful as he grew. The land would need some clearing, but that shouldn’t prove too difficult. Jal shook from her wandering thoughts and smiled at the lad again. “Aye, I’ll need my horse later to return to town. And your mother and yourself could join me for morning feast. I would know more about you both in the short time before I leave.” Graegor grinned and replied that he’d let his mother know they’d been invited.

Closing the door, gray eyes moved over the room, taking in the papers still scattered, her parents belongings, the finely made, though not elaborate furniture. Aside from the mess of papers, it was a snug, well loved home. She remembered that much. There was always love and laughter. She wandered over to the mantle. A slightly larger than hand sized oil portrait rested there. Gleaming softly in the early morning light. A fingertip moved to brush over the features captured there for all time. Her parents. Both smiling into the other’s eyes. Her hand moved to cup around it gently, drawing it to her. A soft smile lit her features as she studied it. This was something she would definitely be taking back with her. She’d been without sight of her parents for too long. And this portrait would be a constant reminder to her of what true love and happiness looked like. And felt like. For she could almost feel the emotions reflected in features and eyes. The painter had been a master and had captured the feelings so fluently. Yes, it would be a reminder, of both her parents and to never settle for less than she felt and saw in this portrait.

Moving to her pack, she tugged out a finely woven silk blouse. Carefully she wrapped and padded the cherished painting. Being sure that nothing could scar the paint or scratch the frame. Before tucking it with utmost care into the middle of her pack, she tugged out fresh clothing. Closing her pack with a pat, she moved to the bathing room to leave her clothes and kindle the fire laid in the small hearth there.
Jaleeisa
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jaleeisa »

Several hours later, around mid-afternoon, Jal finally found herself back at the cottage. Her belongings gathered, including a carefully packed and strapped crate containing several things she wanted to take back with her. Her stallion, who had told her his name was Sureheart, was ready and waiting for her. She’d taken care of the business with the barrister, that having taken all of the morning and most of mid-day. They’d concluded their meeting over a fine meal and glass of a smokey, sweet wine that rested delightfully on the palate. During that meeting had come the discussions about not only the other business, but provisions for Maerion and Daegor’s comfort. As well as to educate the lad as a higher merchant’s son. The wells on the property were to be piped into the cabin and cottage, connecting both the bath rooms and the kitchens directly to the wells, which she was assured were deep and sweet. A new stable would be built to house several horses and a corral and training area as well. Pasture would be cleared for the horses and she’d been enlightened to the fact that there was an area already cleared that was large enough to support the hay for the horses she’d asked be procured. Oat would be purchased in town at a better price than she could have it grown for at the moment. Maerion’s stipend was to be increased as well. She wanted the widow and her son to not only be comfortable, but to also feel they had a claim to her holdings as well. To know that they always had a home and work that was more worthwhile than just day to day living and keeping an eye on a mostly empty cottage. Maerion was a kindly woman who would make an excellent overseer for the estate, with the more than competent help of the barrister. Draegor was a bright lad with a lively sense of humor and would take well to the lessons the tutors she and the barrister had decided upon would teach. And he had a way with horses. Her stallion had been complementary on his care and surely seemed to be well cared for and well rested. He wasn’t very happy about having a chest strapped to his back like a pack animal, though. He’d already tried twice to nip through the straps so it would fall off. Jal had reasoned with him the second time. Reasoned that it would only be for a short time. The transport spell would take them quickly to the outskirts of Rhydin and she herself would walk beside him to the Inn. It wasn’t until a colorful blanket had been found and secured over the offending chest that he had been happy though. At least this way the other horses they might encounter wouldn’t see him burdened like a mule and whicker at him.

Jal made her farewells short. She’d already spoken quietly with Maerion about the changes to come. Seeing the older woman’s face light, not at the mention of her increased stipend, but at the opportunity for her son to be educated and eventually a businessman in his own right. For he would have half share in the profits from the horse farm once he could ably manage the dealing for it on his own. It would be a partnership from that point. Until then, he would be an employee of Jal’s small estate and receive a quarter of the profits. Maerion’s gratitude had been a little embarrassing, and Jal had attempted to sound as though she were a hardbitten merchant herself. But Maerion saw that it was not only business and profit that motivated her mistress.

So, all taken care of for the time, a last smile and wave to Maerion and Draegor, a pat to the horse’s neck to both comfort and warn him and the spell was woven.

A soft shimmer and almost nauseating lurch to the stomach and the found their feet on the edge of the road leading into Rhydin. Swallowing hard, a glance to see how her stallion had fared. The poor thing’s eyes were rolling and he staggered a step before looking at her balefully. “Aye, I know.. It’s a stomach twisting thing. But will have to do until I find a permanent home in Rhydin and we can set a portal. But I am sorry, Sureheart. Were I more practiced with the spell, it might not have been as bad.” The stallion snorted at her. The nudged her lightly with his nose towards the city. “Aye, I know, I know. Let us get you to the Inn’s stables so we can have the chest off your back. With luck none of the mares will see you in town laden so. Unfortunately I don’t think we can avoid all horses, but we’ll do our best. But if you keep your head up high, mayhap they will think you carry some rich treasure that could not be trusted to a mule, eh?”

The stallion gave her another snort of derision, but his head did raise to a proud angle as they started down the road. The Inn wouldn’t be too far away. It would be good to be home again. And sleep for a while. There had been little of that the last week. She could relax and review the paperwork she’d brought home with her at her leisure. So that she’d not have to be running back and forth or trust messages to pigeons, all correspondence would go to the cabin where Draegor would take them to the barrister in town. Another new responsibility for the lad to start teaching him. The message bearing would also begin including lessons in clerking and record keeping once his lessons with the tutors had progressed far enough. Return messages from the barrister would be brought to the cabin by the barrister’s clerk. They would then be placed by Draegor or Maerion in a simply carved rosewood box that Jal had enchanted for the purpose. Having purchased two, the papers would appear in her box almost as soon as the lid on the one in the cabin was closed. That way Maerion could stay in close contact as well and the wards around Neras Point could be circumvented.
So it seemed, for the moment, that everything was settled and taken care of. There would surely be trips back and forth for things as well as just to relax and visit. She’d have to see if a couple of her friends could aid her in setting up the portals once she had found and bought another home in Rhydin. But for now, it was just good to be back.

Return to “Venture”