The Latest CDR Press Conference

Stories of the those from House Dragoon Talanador, the Company of the Dragon and the Tavern itself.

Moderator: G

G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Location: Generally found at the Golden Ivy Tavern. If not there, then on the SpellJammer, his ship.

The Latest CDR Press Conference

Post by G »

After Ten Weeks main matches concluded, people began arriving for a scheduled for the latest press conference. Their focus tonight, is on team captain and Owner of the Company of the Dragon, G'nort Dragoon-Talanador, who was no doubt going to give them excuses as to why such an excellent team has performed so poorly this season.

Shortly after the scheduled start time, G'nort arrived at the podium dressed in his usual "Meet the Press" outfit, which is to say a suit and tie. If anything, he wanted to appear professional.

"Good evening. I'll make this brief before I begin taking a few questions, so please hold those until I'm finished."
"This season has been unlike any other for our team. We began 523 with high expectations, only to have floundered badly. Our success has been almost non-existant. We've lost matches which we should have won, we lost to teams which are overrated and would normally be an easy victory, and we've even had a sweep against us for the first time in the regular season ever."

"Events like this don't happen, let alone to me, without questioning where we went wrong. Naturally, I point the blame to myself. While I feel I've made good captaining decisions and matchups, this obviously wasn't the case as we've suffered many defeats, and scraped a few wins. I again blame myself due to my incredibly poor performance this season. I'm not so egotistical that I think I'd win every match I've fought, but there are several, including the shutout, that I should have won. At worst, I personally feel that my record of Two wins and Five losses are a gross misrepresentation of my skill."

"All that said, I decided after week Nines matches, that this season is now going to be about rebuilding. We are going to re-evaluate our mission. We're going to re-examine our strategies. We're going to replace some duelists with some seasoned professionals who have experience rather than going with a youth movement. Of course, I am meaning that this will begin this season, and by next seasons start, the rebuilding process will be complete, and the Company of the Dragon will regain its glory."

"I am now ready to take your questions."
G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Location: Generally found at the Golden Ivy Tavern. If not there, then on the SpellJammer, his ship.

Post by G »

Several reporters quickly raised their hands, shouting things like "Mr. Talanador! Captain G'nort!" and such. G quickly scanned over the crowd before pointing his pen at an old favorite, a middle aged woman with a dark beehive hairstyle that had several greying hairs in it, and large, pointy glasses with fake gems imbedded on the frame.

"Ona Monapea, The Sporty News. Mr. Talanador, given what you've just said, are you already giving up on the playoffs?"

G smiled a moment before answering, the woman always knew how to get to important things.

"Well, no, of course not. But with the season progressing much like it is, it's looking increasingly difficult that we'll be making them. However, while first place is a long shot at the moment, a wild card slot is well within our grasp. So no, we're not giving up."

G then pointed to one of the reporters whom he didn't care much for. A man in his early forties who clung to his youth in a way that said he was quite the popular youngster, but now a has been. His obviously dyed golden brown hair was wavy and had that "run my fingers through it" look, and he took obvious care of his face. Despite the fact that he had once been very good looking, he was now past his prime.

"Rex Manning, Duels R Us Illustrated. G, do you feel that your record being what it is, and having a losing record two straight seasons, means that you're too old for this? Maybe you need to "hang up your sword" such as it is?"

Snorting a little bit, G replied. "You always did like to harp on an individuals performance, Rex, but I'll respond anyway. Yes, I thought about that. Maybe I do need to retire. Maybe I'm too old for this. After all, I have the most duels in TDL history. I'm one of two people who have over one hundred. So maybe I'm burned out. Yes, I've thought that. But to give you the answer, No. I'm Not too old for this. I do not "Need to hang up my sword" such as it is. And if you ever doubt me again, I'll be more than welcome to test my skill against yours."

Rex flushed at this. He had been unable to have enough skill to make it to a team despite trying and training in his youth, he couldn't even sign to a minor league.

Ona quickly took up the topic, however "But Mr. Talanador, everyone seems to respect your personal performances in the past. The future, however, does seem to be the issue here. With your performance apparently declining, aren't you worried that it will continue next season?"
G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Post by G »

G quickly shook his head. "No, I'm not concerned, really. I happen to have hit a slump and my confidence was shaken. I'm sure that after this season ends, I'll be able to recover nicely and have another career season soon enough. I'm not dead yet." he finished with an amused expression before pointing to the next reporter, a young man with a bright face and promising career ahead of him.

"Tommy Cavellini, News Tonight. You brought up next season, saying you will be replacing some duelists with seasoned veterans. Judging from this seasons performances or lack thereof, may we assume that you'll be replacing Alyxz Taliesen or, and I hate to bring it up, Kaja Adair? Mr. Taliesen has only won once, and Miss Adair hasn't even been scheduled since before the All Star Break."

G sighed. He knew it was going to be brought up eventually, but still hoped that it wouldn't. "Okay. I will neither confirm nor deny who will be leaving, who will be returning, and who will be joining the team next season. There are still contract negotiations to take into place here. Suffice to say, I've known Alyxz a long, long time, and I fully recognize this season as a fluke. Again, I am most certainly not saying that he'd be undefeated, but I will say that out of his seven duels, his record should at worst be Four wins and Three losses. Out of his seven duels, he has a total of Four one point losses including two in Overtime. Two more were 5-3 losses. And he had good leads probably in all of them. He has never had a losing season until now and just had an unfortunate run for CDR. As to Kaja, her absense is quite noticable. I will not comment on her whereabouts or status for next season other than to say that both her and Alyxz are welcome back."

Ona quickly shouted out "About Miss Adair, rumors are that her absense is one of two things, first, that she's in a weight loss rehabilitation center for addiction to Bon Bons, and the second that she is pregnant with another mans child. Are there any truth to these rumors?"
G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Post by G »

Gnort almost laughed at these statements, though an unknown fact caused him to flush slightly. "Okay, first, let me say that there's definitely no truth to either of those. About the Bon Bon thing, it was I who started that rumor. Kaja has always worried in our relationship that she might end up doing something like my ex-wife did and resort to snacking on bonbons, causing her weight to blow up dramatically. So, as a point of humor, while she was away for an extended period of time I started telling people that she was at a fat camp fighting off addiction to bon bons. This is just not true. The rumor probably gained speed when she showed up, heard about the rumor, and played along with it with me. Needless to say she got a lot of exercise that night anyway."

"As to the pregnant with another mans child, well, I can only say that there is definitely no proof to that whatsoever, nor is it true in any way. You see, if she were pregnant, I would be the first to know. And with as often as we... express our love to each other, if she were pregnant, it'd be by me."

There was a collective chuckle throughout the room from everyone except Rex. He was hoping for some good dirt on G.

Tommy quickly blurted out "Are there any wedding plans?"

G smiled at that but shook his head. "No, nothing yet. Though from time to time we affectionately refer to ourselves as Mr. and Mrs. Talanador. I even bought her a dog!"

All the women in the audience let out a collective "Aww! That's romantic!" And several of the men, including Rex, had a gagging expression.

G looked around for the next reporter, pointing his pen at a dark man, robed and shrouded and not much visible about him.

"Veld Re Muir, Blackgate Inquisitor."
G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Post by G »

"Veld Re Muir, Blackgate Inquisitor. Mister Talanador. While I am sure that the others are deeply interested in your personal love life, I am here to discuss your teams performance. You are a dismal Three wins and Six losses, with your current match not looking terribly much in your favor. Your team is on the verge of losing its hold on the Silver Division for the first time since the Bladesingers took it so long ago. Of course, this has to be grating on your nerves. So, aside from your teams failure to secure the Silver division, what are your thoughts of the preseason prediction about having a roller coaster season now that it seems to hold true?"

Gnort narrowed his eyes irritably. This man just exuded an aura that made him instantly unlikeable. Bringing up a sore spot in the manner he did doubled the dislike of the man.

"Obviously you failed to pay attention to my rebuttal to those predictions, but I'll answer you anyway. If by a Roller Coaster season you mean having a good season, then a slightly bad season, followed by two good seasons, followed by one bad season, followed by four good seasons, and then a bad season, then yes. I suppose it would be a roller coaster. And that sort of roller coaster I can live with. The only team that can even compete, historically, with CDRs success would be Atrebla, and that's only because they've won the MacKenzie cup two straight years. No other team has as many first place finishes as CDR, and we were bound to falter eventually. All good teams do. Now, judging by the math, One good season followed by a bad. Then Two good seasons followed by a bad. Then Four good seasons followed by a bad. Not to brag, but it would seem that CDR is due for at least Eight more good seasons before we have a losing one again. Wouldn't you agree?"

Veld was probably smirking, but all that was heard was a snort. "I doubt that, Mister Talanador."

"Then you obviously don't know what I am capable of. Blackgate Inquirer or something? I've never heard of them. Were you sent by one of my competitors, or an enemy?"

"Inquisitor. Mister Talanador. And they alone are the ones who sent me."

"Fine. Anyone have any other intelligent questions? Yes?" Pointing back to Ona.
G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Post by G »

"If CDR isn't going to win the division, you have two other teams who may. Which of those teams would you rather see take the division?"

"Well Ona, I would have to pick Shinju. I like them better even if they have Sneggle and Xerzes on the team. And that's all I'll say on that subject. Next?"

He pointed to a young woman with small rimmed glasses and a flattering figure.

"Good evening, Mr. Talanador. I'm Cherrie Bomb from the Paragon Press. I was just wondering, if you're going to replace some duelists, who are you going to replace them with? Have you plans?"

With an impressed expression on his face. "The *Stunning* Cherrie Bomb? The honor is mine, indeed. As to your question, I have already received requests from two duelists who do not like the direction their current teams are heading. They've asked me about next season, and with some negotiation I think we'll come to a satisfactory agreement. Next season we will be seeing a much improved Company of the Dragon. Make no mistake."

"And that will do for this evening. I've got plans to make and a tavern to finish tomorrow. Thank you all for coming."

With that and a smile, he turned and walked off the podium, ignoring calls of "Mister Talanador" and the steely gaze of Veld Re Muir, who seemed to Gnort as a slimy individual anyway. He had a lot to do, plenty of time to do it, but wished to get started as soon as possible. He knew who wanted to join his team and create another success, and with them, the MacKenzie Cup was surely going to be his once again.

Return to “Golden Ivy Tavern”