Naxarth

Michelle Montoya
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Fāris Al-Ibra

Naxarth

Post by Michelle Montoya »

The Passage

Hard cold rock. A painful headache. Sore muscles. Blue and green swirls of light, a violent splash of red colors. Darkness. Pitch black darkness. Hot, very hot then...wet. Everything was a blur. She was cold and damp. The sound of a water fall came from behind her. Michelle struggled to get up to no avail. Her headache came again forcefully with the strong light of the sun and she was out.

----

It was dark when she got up, and she was still cold, if not colder. Her headache had subsided but her muscles were still sore. With effort she pulled herself off the rocks. She was relieved to find that past the rocks was soft lush grass. Rolling on to her side she looked up to see three moons. Suddenly a chill went through her spine. This time though, it wasn't from the cold. An icy finger seemed to brush against her cheek. The feeling was uncomfortably familiar, with the touch she became weak and tired. Michelle faintly heard a strange mumbling. If it came from her or another being she didn't know. Shortly after she felt a warmth come over her, and the wraith had disappeared. Swiftly an un-natural sleep came upon her.

---

Once again she woke up, the sun was just setting and stars were coming out. She couldn't remember anything anymore, where she was, who she was. She was wrapped up in some sort of cloth. It was silky and another heavier coarse material was on top. Turning around she saw an odd sort of fire going. Who started the fire, she could not tell. Past the fire was a deep forest, infact, all around her was forest. She obviously was in a clearing, with a river winding through the forest until she could no longer see it. The waterfall which gave her a headache originally was now soothing to her mind. A light footfall of hooves stopped short of the fire, just at the edge of the forest. They were so silent she couldn't recall when they had started. The horse bent down, to reveal that it's upperbody wasn't that of a horse but of a human man. Michelle let out an involuntary gasp.

"Do not be alarmed child." said the creature. It was deep, soothing, wise and...unnatural. Michelle merely remained frozen as the.....well whatever it was continued to come forward. He knelt down and picked up a bowl of some sort of...soup. Quietly he offered it to her indicating she was to eat. Without moving her eyes from the being she took the bowl and started eating, as if she could not refuse. "You will need your energy, an evil spirit has touched you. One does not recover from such an encounter easily." Michelle merely nodded as she finished her food. She felt much better but was still exhausted. A million questions came to her mind, however, she couldn't gather the courage to ask one.

After a closer look she realized how magnificent this...being was. A rich, dark, chestnut coat for the lower-half of the body. His legs were very powerful and long, and he was tall...eighteen hands if he was an inch. The human upper-body couldn't have been more muscular, and the abs couldn't be more like steel. He had dark red hair, just like his horse-coat. Fine and exquisite facial features and arms that could squeeze a bear into submission. After removing her eyes from him she mustered the courage to ask him what she needed to know. "Where am I? What happened to me?....Who am I?"

"Patience, the sleeping spell will wear off soon. Then, I will answer what questions you have left. In the mean-time, drink this" He handed her a small wooden cup with a yellow mixture in it. "It will make you strong...and the spell will wear off faster."
Michelle Montoya
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Fāris Al-Ibra

Naxarth

Taranis

While she finished drinking he went to the waterfall and filled a small bucket of water. He then mixed in some herbs and a thicker liquid to make some sort of green salve. "This will sting a bit, but you'll be more resistant to the evil spirits, weather and...other threats." He took some of the salve and massaged it into the back of her neck. It stung slightly, but it left a cool feeling once it dried a bit. Patiently she sat still as he removed her cloak and worked it into her shoulders, oddly enough she felt no fear of being...violated. After 10 minutes he stopped and washed the salve off. "Do you remember who you are now?"

"I believe so, but I don't recall who you are, or how I got here. I just remember..." startled she looked at her hand to make sure the ring was there. "I just remember this ring, and going through...a portal of some sort."

The creature nodded. "I am a centaur in case you're wondering. Taranis of Summanus, son of Callisto, who is wife of Lupiter who is son of Tiamat who is wife of Jove."

"I'm...uh....Michelle Montoya, daughter of Ann Montoya who is wife of Dexter Montoya and part of Atrebla..."

The centaur nodded and settled down putting his legs under him. "Go back to sleep, we leave at the second hour, you have a long journey ahead of you."

"A journey? What sort of journey? Hold on a second, I don't even know where I am...or what I'm supposed to do!"

"You are at Tellulah which feeds the river of Gorlan. We are west of Nimar, east of Kirtah, north of Shik and south of Summanus where we are going. Once we get to Summanus you will find out what your purpose of being on Naxarth is. Now sleep." After that she was quiet and wrapped herself in the silk cloth again and put the coarse heavier material overtop.

---

When she awoke the fire was well covered and everything had been packed up. Two sole backpacks were left, along with the blankets she was underneath. Taranis was no where to be seen. She got up clumsily, completely remembering everything that had happened now. The sun had been up for no more then hour and the forest was quiet. Not wanting to break the silence she quietly took off her clothes and bathed in the water. When she got out and dressed again Taranis had still not returned. Just when she was wondering what she was going to do if he didn't come he came out of the forest. He handed her a small sandwich of sorts and a flask of water. "Eat quickly, we must hurry. The Nimarians are only a day away."

"Nimarians?" She asked while she ate hurriedly.

"The people of Nimar, a race crossed between giants and ogres. Unintelligent but reckless, they will destroy anything in their path. We happen to be in that path."

Michelle buttoned up her cloak and looked around for her belongings. "Where are my things?"

"In the brown pack, you will carry it. For the first while you may ride on my back, we must hurry."

Obediently she picked up the pack and checked to make sure everything was in it. After checking she put on the backpack and climbed on his back. He was easy to ride after the horses she had become accustomed with. As soon as she was mounted he set off, causing her quick jolt when he took off. Finding nothing to grab on to she settled for wrapping her arms around his waist. It was to be a long journey.
Michelle Montoya
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Fāris Al-Ibra

Naxarth

She had been walking now for a few hours, and her feet were getting very sore. Since they left there had been no words between them except when she was to dismount. The scenery had changed, from a lush beautiful rain forest to many green hills and valleys. There was no clear path that she could see, yet they kept walking. Occasionally Taranis would stop and look up at the sun, set up some sort of contraption like a sundial/compass then they would start off again in a slightly different course. The grass was thick and tall when they exited the forest but it gradually became smaller and thinner. Different species of flowers were scattered abroad. Vibrant colors of purple-green, yellow-pink, orange-red...in fact, there were no single colors. The sun was a wonderful orange-yellow and the sky had never seemed so blue. When they got to the top of a fairly large hill Taranis stopped and took off his backpack. "We eat lunch here."

Michelle merely nodded and sat down taking off her backpack. Taranis took out a small bag and pulled out some sort of sandwiches, fruit and a flask of some red liquid. "Tell me about Naxarth please" Michelle asked.

"What would you like to know?" Taranis responded while setting up lunch.

"Everything"

"That is a lot to learn...we shall start from the beginning. Naxath was created, or so we believe, by the Great Almighty God Nax many billions of years ago. He then placed then centaurs and humans on the earth, amongst other beings. Beings such as trolls, frimas, goblins, phoenixes, dragons, makthash, nolas...so many you can not number them all." He handed her a sandwich, some fruit, and poured her a glass of the red liquid as he spoke.

She took some of the red liquid and drank it, "What is this?" she asked, for it tasted sweet...yet bitter.

"That is Zimlitch, it comes from the Zimli fruit which is found throughout Naxarth. Very easy to make, and very healthy. The orange fruit you are eating is Limpit, and the purple fruit is Dotze. And the sandwiches are Hare Sandwiches."

Michelle chewed thoughtfully, soaking up the information. "Delicious" she replied. They finished eating quickly and packed up quietly.

"You may ride on my back till we see the tower of Summanus, then you must dismount. You will be instructed further on how you must behave, for very few centaurs of Summanus are as kind as I am." Clumsily she mounted onto Taranis and they rode through the hills to the place of Summanus.
Michelle Montoya
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Fāris Al-Ibra

Summanus

It wasn't long till they saw the tower of Summanus. She slid off of Taranis's back and awaited her instructions. "You are to walk to the right of me back no more and no less then three steps. This indicates that you are a newcomer, a friend and not a threat. When we enter the centre square you will stay put and not move from where I tell you to stand. I will then ask for an audience with the Honourable Sola. Speak to no one unless they have the correct authority to ask you questions. Those who have authority are designated with a red, black and silver sash. The Sola has a gold sash, you must answer his questions quickly and honestly. Do not ask any questions." While he spoke he donned on a black sash with a silver stripe on the top. A symbol of a triangle within a star was in the middle of his sash. "If anyone gives you trouble calmly tell them you are with Master Chief Taranis. They should be silenced instantly, if not, report to me there sash color and the symbol in the middle." He then put on a smaller sash the color of grey with a circle for her symbol.

They walked steadily and deliberately into Summanus. As they walked to the centre square she noticed that there were many colors of sashes. There was silver, black, red, purple, blue, orange, yellow, white, green; she did not see any other greys though. Those who did not wear silver, black or red would give a respectful half bow to Taranis, and he would nod back. Those with a red sash would nod to him respectfully and he would nod back as well. When the met someone with a silver sash he would cross his right arm over his chest with a closed fist and they would nod back. There were very few red and black sashes but even fewer silver sashes. She came to the conclusion that they must denote rank of some sort.

Eventually they reached the centre square and the tower was on the north end of the square. Taranis walked over there silently and surely and entered under a golden arch with some sort of inscription on it and past some large double doors.. The tower reached up high over the other buildings. There were two sets of steps, five each with a gold rail on either side. A pillar was on either side of the arch with a gold and silver design spiralling down. There were many windows such that you would find in a cathedral. The pictures were those of different centaurs, of the sun, of the moons and symbols Michelle didn't recognize.

Looking around the square Michelle saw that there were many buildings similar to in RhyDin, and yet many that weren't so similar. In the centre of the square was a diamond-shaped fountain, each corner pointing north, south, east and west. A symbol similar to the letters for each directions was put on each corner. This was how she determined that the tower was on the north side. A marble centaur stood in the middle on a platform his head titled up towards the west. Unlike on earth, the sun rose on the west and set in the east. On the centaurs platform, on each side, was a plaque with an inscription, some with just a single word, others with a list.

A young man, not a centaur came past Michelle from the south and gave her a haughty look as he strutted to the tower. She held her tongue and any looks she could've thrown at him. Another centaur came past her moments after the young man. He looked at her briefly and sad "Don't mind Kiplaf, he thinks he's king of the world. But you didn't hear it from me." The centaur proceeded into the tower, he was wearing a deep purple sash with a sun symbol.

Minutes later Taranis trotted out of the tower and came to Michelle. "Hurry up, the Hon. Sola does not like to be kept waiting. Behave yourself, you want to be on his good side." She nodded quietly and followed him, three steps behind to his right.

When the entered the tower Michelle couldn't help but let out a gasp. It was richly decorated on the outside, but even more magnificent on the inside. It was more like a huge town building then just a tower. It was a magnificent hall with three doors on the east side of the hall and two at the other end. On the east wall centaurs were coming in and out frequently, on the west wall there were portraits of many scenes including one in the centre of a tall handsome centaur. "The Hon. Sola" Taranis pointed out. There were desks lined up along that wall with centaurs behind them, busily talking to recipients. One of them was the young man and the centaur she had met earlier behind him. In the centre of the hall was a large desk with three centaurs behind it directing people where to go.

Taranis didn't pay attention to anything in the hall but led her down to the other side and into the right door. It led into a smaller hallway that was more quiet. There was a royal red carpet and doors alternating on each side. Windows led showed into some of these rooms, some were empty, some occupied with various creatures. "This is the Hall of Organizations. The heads of all departments and representatives of most races are in this hall. The Hon. Sola is at the very end here." Taranis led her through a door at the end into what was obviously the waiting room. It was large enough to fit at least twenty centaurs (about 45 humans).

"Go right on through Taranis" said a centaur with a black sash, she put his name down on a list and they went through
Michelle Montoya
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Fāris Al-Ibra

Honorable Sola

Michelle followed Taranis in meekly, keeping exactly three steps behind him. The room was elegant yet simple. Strange devices lined the walls on shelves of ornate design. To her immediate left was a desk with papers, pens, pencils, stamps and other business like materials. The only object out of place was an orb of swirling gray mist. To her right were two mirrors with the same swirling mist. In front of her was another centaur, Michelle judged him to be twenty hands. His coat was that of a silk gold color streaked with some flecks of silver-gray. The Sola’s hair was the same color, shortly cropped with a fine trimmed beard to match. His gold sash had various symbols instead of just one. Taranis immediately knelt on one knee with his eyes cast down. Michelle followed suit.

“You may rise Chief Taranis.” Michelle watched as her companion stood up. She was about to stand as well and then it occurred to her the Sola had not acknowledged her yet. “Is this the human-child I have heard of?”

“Yes Honorable Sola.”

“Stand child and tell me your name.”

Michelle stood up and answered quickly. “Michelle Montoya, daughter of Condextint Montoya.”

“Taranis, leave us for a moment.”

---

An hour later Michelle was sitting in a chair looking exhausted. Taranis was beckoned back in. “I believe she is the one we need Chief Taranis.” The Sola turned back to Michelle. “We have a situation. About three months ago a series of wraiths began to enter our city, or world. That ring, should solve this problem. However, it needs to be kept safe and you need to be sent home. So, Master Chief Taranis, along with two other companions, will accompany you to the Home of Bakar. He is an ancient and moody old wizard but he keeps this land in reasonable order. In the interim, you will stay at the Hotel d’Lanc at no cost.”

“Of course Milord.” Michelle gave a low bow, as did Taranis and the two left the Sola’s room.

Return to “Beyond the Rift”