Summer School

These lessons will last a lifetime. Or three. Instructing the young and old on the ways of magic and it's place in the world.

Moderators: Artemus Kurgen, Topaz, BrigathC

Vinny
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Bender of physics

Summer School

Post by Vinny »

Due to popular demand, Professor Smith is offerning the following course to the first 30 students who sign up. This course will take place over 4 weeks, and meet Monday through Thursday from 11am-3:30pm. So without further delay, here is the prospective syllabus for Rec 386- Outdoor survival skills.

Note from the prof- This being a "survival" course, we're doing everything the old fashioned way. Which means NO magics allowed. Anyone caught using magic (and I WILL find out) will get an automatic F and be on my list for the rest of their collegiate life.

((More to be continued later))
Who would have thought that becoming God would prove to be such a hollow victory? -Thanos of Titan
Vinny
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Bender of physics

Post by Vinny »

"16 students?!? That's all that signed up for this course?" It was obvious that Vinny was quite disgusted with this turn of events. he had been expecting a full course, with students beating down the doors begging him to make exceptions and let them in.

His student assistant fidgeted off in the doorway, unsure if he should come in and sit down, or just leave. Professor Smith could be a little difficult to deal with sometimes, and he had yet to figure out how to read his mannerisms. "Sir, if I may offer an opinion....a lot of the students are fearful of this course because of the "No Magic" clause you're instituting. After all, this is a magic academy."

Vinny held up a hand, cutting him off right there. He took a slow, deep breath. Obviously this youngin' needed the slow explanation. "If you were lost in the woods or in a dungeon full or God knows what, and had no magics at your disposal, would you just roll over and die? Just because this is a magic academy doesn't mean that you should be totally reliant on it in order to get by in this world. Those who signed up for this course will be much more prepared for extenuating circumstances in the real world." He waved him off, before he really lost his temper and turned him into a duck or something. "Now go print off those copies of the syllabus and pring them back within the next half hour."
Who would have thought that becoming God would prove to be such a hollow victory? -Thanos of Titan
Vinny
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Bender of physics

Post by Vinny »

"Ladies and gentlemen. Before we begin, I just want to cover some ground rules for this course. First off, when you're on my time here, there will be no magics used. Even I promise to limit my uses to only extreme cirumstances. Second, be prepared for the possibilty that you could incur some bodily injury and there's a good chance one or two of you may not survive depending on how little common sense you have." He looked around the crowd, giving the type of grin that made them all nervous about whether or not he was joking. It was always a good idea to keep them on their toes. They were less likely to be complacent that way. Taking a stack of papers, he handed them out to the class.

Week one- Basic survival skills and tehniques. These will include, but not be limited to compass reading, star navigation, basic camp set up, beginning botany, how to make a fire, and other rules of the wilderness.

Week two- Some more advanced techniques, such as trap setting and making use of your environment to provide for you when you have nothing left in your bag.

Week three- There will be two simple overnight trips this week, serving as preparation for next week's fnal exam. At least one day this week will be spent in the class studying.

Week four- Written exam will be on Monday. Anyone who fails will not be allowed to participate in the second half of the final. That will be a three day, two night survival in some remote area who's location I'm not spilling.

"I'll see you all on Monday. Be dressed appropriately and enjoy the use of magic while you can. But by the time I'm done showing you a few tricks, you may not want to use it anymore."
Vinny
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Bender of physics

Post by Vinny »

The class stood out in a field on the hot summer's day, with their professor walking back and forth, looking at the terrain. This place seemed like just as good a spot as any to have them work on today's assignment. A few trees scattered about, a slight hill off to the left. He took his backpack off and pulled out four tarps, one for each group, tossing them on the ground. "Ok. Today's assignment...." Looking up at the groups, he grinned slightly. They seemed to be expecting that he would pull more out. They were in for a surprise.

"Each group has been lost in the wilderness. This tarp is the only thing that you have between you. Unless someone did their reading last night." His gaze moved over each group, hoping that there was at least one smart person in there. "Who remembered to bring their knife?" Most of the students raised their hands, but there were a few who had their eyes downturned.

Hands went to his hips, staring at those few who obviously had not kept up with things. "Lesson number one. The two most important things one can have in the wilderness is a sharp mind, and a sharp knife. Always have both with you at all times. They will be your best friends and get you through almost any situation. So by tomorrow, I expect you to have gotten a knife."

He spaced out for a second, trying to not get too upset. Most of these kids were as green as grass when it came to the outdoors, after all. "Now, as I was saying, Each group will construct a shelter using nothing but this tarp and any items you can find out here." He pulled out a stopwatch and clicked it on. "You have one hour. I suggest you all get busy."

The next 55 minutes were spent sitting down watching and listening in to the chaos that ensued. Three of the groups developed a leader figure within the first few minutes and began to get to work constructing, even if the shelter was being built wrong. But they were working as a unit. The fourth group was having much more squabbles. Each person wanted it done their way, their way was right, and everyone else was wrong. Which meant that nothing was getting done. Giving a sigh, he got up. "Ok, time's up! If you have something in your hands, put it away. I'll be around to grade and critique each shelter in turn."
Vinny
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Bender of physics

Post by Vinny »

"Wrong! The opening of the shelter should always be facing south in order to keep the winds at a minimum. Not west like you knuckleheads have it set it. "

"You negelected to take into account what happens if it rains. There's no rainwall to deflect the flow of water. If this were real, you'd be soaked sleeping in here tonight."

"Good structure, but it's too small to fit all four of you. Redo it."

Coming up to the last one, he shook his head in disgust. "Mess" was too small a word to describe this. It was as if a disaster had swept through here and left a random assortment of things scattered about. "A pair of rats could have put together a better shelter than this. You wouldn't have lasted the night if you tried to sleep here. I highly suggest that you focus on getting you acts together. At this rate, you'll be failing this course without ever going on the final exam."

"All right everyone. Hike back to the classroom for some further analysis and critique. Not bad overall for your first attempts, in most cases." A glare being given to the group that failed miserably. They really wouldn't survive a night or two in the woods if they had to.
Vinny
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Bender of physics

Post by Vinny »

"Professor Smith, since when do marshmallows come standard issue in survival packs?"

The group was sitting around a campfire, getting ready to take on their final exam. Much to his surprise, everyone had passed the written portion, and had done well enough on the last outing to make him confident that they would be able to not get into too much trouble out in the wilderness. Granted, somethnig always went wrong, but he'd be keeping an eye on everyone until they were finished. With four groups, it's be easy enough. "Because, this is your last night to enjoy a little peace and quiet. I figured it would be nice after being so hard on all of you the last few weeks. And since all of you have 20 miles of woods and hills to navigate over the next couple of days, you should be appreciative of this fact"

As the night progressed, the students relaxed and enjoyed themsleves. Swapping campfire stories. Tales from home. Some jokes tossed in that got a laugh from everyone, himself included. Eventually, one by one they turned in for the night. The fire was allowed to die down somewhat, with Vinny tending to it along with three of the students who chose to make a late night out of this. His eyes glanced over all of them before gazing back into the fire. "Any last questions or requests? You should be getting some sleep soon. Sleep is needed to keep the mind sharp. Helps you solve more problems that way."

The three students paused for a moment before one of them spoke up. "Um, sir. If there's one thing that was more important than anything else, what would it be?"

The look they got back could have frozen the fire. His eyes looking like black orbs of ice as he bore a glare into the boy. "Always be prepared for things you never expected, and remember the rules of this exercise. because as much as you try to plan for everything, something always comes along that you didn't plan for. Like this." No sooner had he finished the words, he had lept from his seat through the fire, jamming a knife into his side and twisting. The ensuing scream being such sweet music in the darkness. The other two scrambling back, looking on horror as he jammed the knife in again and again, taking a sadistic glee in making this hurt as much as he could.

When there was no life left in the boy, he looked at one of the other students, who was against the base of a tree severeal meters away, cowering like a mouse who had been trapped by the cat. The other student had regained her wits enough to take of running into the darkness. She'd make good sport to hunt later. His screams not unnoticed by the other students, who were waking up suitibly surprised and coming out of their tents. He held off a moment, waiting for most of them to come out of their tents before walking towards the tree, finger pointed in front of him. "Improper repsonse time. Failure to exhibit appropriate repsones when confronted with danger in the wilderness. Lack of preparation and fear control. Failing grade delivered." Fire shot from his fingers, scorching the boy's skin until there was just a blackened husk there.

The remaining students scattered, many of them having no clue what was going on with their professor. All they knew was that this was a nightmare.
Vinny
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Bender of physics

Post by Vinny »

"You probably think I'm some sort of monster. Given recent activities, I am inclined to both agree and disagree."

He paced around the room, wearing a slow path on the carpet. He didn't even bother to keep his eyes on the girl in the chair. She couldn't get up even if she wanted to. With her electrical impulses not able to reach her limbs, paralysis kept her under control. Not that she could have gone anywhere if she was up. The room had no windows or doors. Only way in or out was through a portal. " You're probably wondering why you're still alive. You managed to do precisely what you were taught to do in the least amount of time. Which left you alive the longest...except for the one I sent to the cornfield. That was humor on my part, but he's still alive and probably back to tell someone just what's going on. You however, get the explanation of why."

A quick glance in her direction freed his hold on her. Not like she could do anything anyways. "You're to go tell Headmaster Kurgen that I resign from my position, if he hasn't already put it together. You're also to tell him that he, the watch, or any other so called legal authority is more than welcome to come after me for retributuion and/or restitution, but if they do, they can expect to be met with my full force. But...I doubt he will. He's got other things to worry about. And the watch is fine against the typical rabble, but unless they get Ms. Wilder out there, it won't matter either."

Pulling up a chair, he sat down facing her and sighed. "It's so hard to find good heroes these days. At least some with common sense. But if they had common sense, they wouldn't be heroes because they'd see how futile it is to try and be one. Now go off and congratulations on passing the course. I've got some stuff to take care of and another psychotic episode to go have before I go brew up a better plague, build a better mousetrap, and prove that there is a God in mathmatical form."

Return to “Arcanum Academy”