New student?

These lessons will last a lifetime. Or three. Instructing the young and old on the ways of magic and it's place in the world.

Moderators: Artemus Kurgen, Topaz, BrigathC

Ghranit
Adventurer
Adventurer

New student?

Post by Ghranit »

Ghranit put down his jewlers tools and sighed.

"They are all the same," he gumbled to himself. "Only went out for a couple years to learn new ways of making these things, and it is still the same."

He looked at the small silver necklace that a client had special ordered earlier that week. While by anyoneelse's standards, it would have been an work of art, the epxperienced dwarf was clearly dissatisfied. Feeling no inspiration at all, he tried to move onto a different project.

"It's no use, not yet. I have an idea. Aye, that may just work."

-Three days later-

Ghranit entered the office of the Arcanum Acadamy. Papers, forms, and scrolls were in disorganised stacks on various tables and desks throughout the room. The pungeant fumes of magical oils, incenses, and possibly a failed prank of one the younger students filled the air, causing the dwarf to enter a fit of coughing.

The elderly secretary looked up from filling out some sort of paper work. With a very put-upon tone in her voice, she inquired, "May I help you?"

"Yes ma'am. I was wondering if you could help me with something. I was wondering how I could..." Ghranit's voice became quiter until it was nothing but incomprehensible mumbling.

"I'm sorry, you'll have to speak up." She raises an eyebrow.

"I want to sign up for your blasted magic classes!" He shouts, loud enough to be heard in other rooms.

"What? A dwarf wanting to learn magic?" She shrieks as she collapses in cackling over her forgotten work.

"Nothing wrong with that..." Ghranit grumbles to himself as for the first time in his fourty-three years, tears formed in his eyes, looking down in shame. "Just because no other self-respecing dwarf would."
Artemus Kurgen
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Artemus Kurgen »

A pause near the office door at a fit of cackling, Artemus peaked his head in the door with a frown at what was going on.

"Is there a problem in here?"

Deciding to wear his status robes today, the Head Master stood in the doorway dressed in black silk with gold and ivory trim along the sleeves and collar. Arms brought behind his back, mainly to play with the ring from Rhaine on his left hand, he looked from the dwarf to the under-secretary.

"And did I hear correctly that you are looking to take classes here? Please follow me to my office. We can discuss getting you enrolled there. I'm not as narrow minded as some here, all races are welcome to learn within these walls."
Artemus Allonan Kurgen
Headmaster of Arcanum Academy
Proprietor of Dark Wolf and Leopard Jewelers.
Ghranit
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Ghranit »

Looking up with a smile of relief, what luck!

"Thank you kindly, I'll do that."

Ghranit follows to the office from a respectful three paces behind.
Artemus Kurgen
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Artemus Kurgen »

Artemus thought over his words carefully on that path to the second floor towards his office located between the Arcanum library and the potions lab. Choosing to leave the door open, he moved casually into the office and took a seat at his desk, shimmering emerald eyes now focused on the dwarf.

"First I must appologize for the secretary's behavior downstairs. As the sign on my door says, I am Headmaster Kurgen, but most just call me Artemus. Now, as unusual as your request is, I can assure you are not the only dwarf here."

From a bottom drawer of his desk, the Headmaster pulled out a folder and removed a document, sliding it over to the dwarf.

"If you'll just fill out that form and mark if you will be staying at the dorms here on campus or communiting, I'll see what we can do to accomodate you and set up a course schedule to suit what you are looking to study."
Artemus Allonan Kurgen
Ghranit
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Ghranit »

"Not the only dwarf here," He says to himself.

Looking over the papers he fills them out quickly.

"I will not be needing any dorms, but I thank you for the offer, sir. What I do be needing is a way to mind the store while I am taking these classes."

He fineshes filling out the forms and signs his name in typical Dwarven style for writing. Functional, but not overly decorative.

"As for the classes I will be needing, sir. I am not really sure what I'll be needing. I want to be able to enchant the jewleryy I am making in my shop. Possibly use magic to forge the silver into shapes and designs I can't do by hand. Got anything to help out with that?"

"I know I will have to take basic things, like ethics and all. I would still like to have a rounded and balanced education here."

He stops and thinks for a moment.

"Will I need to take a test?"
Artemus Kurgen
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Artemus Kurgen »

"No, no entrance test will be needed. We have Enchanting courses here at the Academy. And as for your shop, it won't be too much trouble finding an assistant since I do the same at my jewelery store in the Marketplace."

Artemus took the form once the dwarf had finished and looked at the signature. "Ghranit? I pronounce that right?"

"And I am sure you have thought of this all ready, but have you tried molds? Smelting the silver down and pouring it into an already created mold to shape the metal? To answer your question though, yes we do have classes to help in altering the shape of objects. That would be with professors Cedran and Wulfson. Permanent Construction of Magical Objects is the course name I do believe."
Artemus Allonan Kurgen
Ghranit
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Ghranit »

"Yes sir, that is how you pronounce. Just like the rock of slightly altered spelling."

"As for the molds, I have used them. It's just that I need something new and different. The two courses you have named sound perfect. I am looking forward to learning these new skills."

::Ghranit is practically bouncing in his seat from excitement.::

Return to “Arcanum Academy”