Psychology of Magic

These lessons will last a lifetime. Or three. Instructing the young and old on the ways of magic and it's place in the world.

Moderators: Artemus Kurgen, Topaz, BrigathC

Vinny
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Bender of physics

Psychology of Magic

Post by Vinny »

The auditorium continued to have a soft murmur floating throughout as the students discussed amongst themselves what the class would be like. Professor Smith had a bit of a reputation of being slightly eccentric, his teaching style far different than the traditional norms. Sure enough, at 10:00am on the dot, he simply appeared behind the podium, producing a hush from the crowd.

Having quieted them down, Vincent immediately moved into his introductions. "Good morning class. I am Professor Smith and this is course 263, Psychology of Magic. If this is not what you signed up for, I suggest you leave immediately and see your advisor to get your schedule straightened out. Likewise, anyone who thinks this course is going to be just a general seminar that you can breeze through will be in for a large shock when you see the syllabus."

He snapped his fingers and the just mentioned syllabus appeared in front of each student, eliciting several groans. What they were groaning about read as follows:

Course 263, Psychology of Magic

Week 1- Get syllabus. Read it, and read it well. Also, get your books now before the campus bookstore runs out and you're forced to beg your friend to share. Assignment- Nothing this week. Welcome to class and enjoy the break. They'll be far and few between.

Week 2- Discussions around the perceptual use of magic and how beings of different levels of intelligence grasp it. Assignment- Read first ten chapters of Job: A Comedy of Justice by Robert Heinlein. Write 3-5 page paper on Alexander's inability to notice the differences in magical fields concerning the events which occur.

Week 3- Continuation of week 2, but in greater detail. Assignment- Read next 10 chapters, then write a 3-5 page paper debating for or against the need for dishwashers, and if the world's restaurants could live without them.

Week 4- Test. Questions and format to be determined five minutes before I get to class, so don't bother asking. Assignment- Read last 9 chapters and write 5-7 page paper on how Hell and Texas are related.

Week 5- Magic and technology, is there any difference? Assignment- Pick an Isaac Asmiov novel and elucidate on a point that was brought up in class. 5 page minimum, but do try to cap it at 10, or I won't bother reading it.

Week 6- Magic and Mythology, pt.1. Assignment- Read the Odyssey.

Week 7- Magic and Mythology, pt. 2. Assignment- Get familiar with the Iliad as well.

Week 8- Exam #2. You can bet it'll have to do with the material covered in the last 3 weeks. Extra credit if your answers are written in ancient greek.

Week 9- Brain anatomy and how to best use chemical reactions to your advantage. Assigment- 7 page paper on how various forms of magic can affect dopamine and seratonin levels.

Week 10- Is bigger necessarily better? Using subterfuge and subtlty in magic to your advantage. Assignment- Have research proposal on my desk by 4pm Friday.

Week 11- Sometimes bigger IS better! Assigment- 4-5 page paper on something big and how magic can assist in making it bigger and better.

Week 12- Show up to class. Get an automatic A. Enjoy the break while it lasts.

Week 13- Research presentations, group A.

Week 14- Research presentations, group B.

Week 15- Final exam. Be ready for any and everything.
Who would have thought that becoming God would prove to be such a hollow victory? -Thanos of Titan

Return to “Arcanum Academy”