Making New Friends

Moderators: Jaleeisa, Chereylen

Jaleeisa
Adventurer
Adventurer

Making New Friends

Post by Jaleeisa »

Wow.. things sen to move at lightening speed around here, sometimes. So much going on it seems I rarely have time to stop and catch my breath. I scarce know where to start with everything. Perhaps best to just address each event seperately. But where to start with even that plan? Ahh, I know.. with one of the best parts - new friends and aquaintances. So many people touch our lives. Each and every day brings something that wouldn't be there, or prevents things that would, save for the people around us. Sometimes you can tell when someone will be a good part of your life, make the path smoother, lend a shoulder or a hand when you need it. But most of the time, you can't tell who will be positive in your life and who won't. Only time and the fates can know or reveal those things. But either way, each person we meet, even briefly can be a ripple on the pond of our lives.

So many new aquaintances lately. Those in the Duels and the Inn. And the newspaper. Never a time comes that I've stepped into any of the three and not met someone new. And I truly hope that doesn't change. One of my new friends is another official on the Island. We simply call him the Druid. I know not yet if he has another. I met him when he arrived to relieve my shift one night. This was the night that my welcome home party was conceived. He seemed a friendly, jovial sort and offered to teach me something called salsa dancing. Of course I accepted. I do enjoy dancing as much as the next lass. But that was not the difference he made.

The night of the party, we were dancing and he asked me a question that stays in my mind. He asked was not quality of friends better than quantity. I replied that both were nice, but it was the quailty friends that one strives for. I feel that living in a box, surrounded by only the same people limits one and would surely grow staid and stale. I treasure my close friends, especially those who have found their own places in my heart like Kyndra, Tass, Brig, Art, Des and Gav. I would say, should I be pressed, that they are indeed my dearest friends in Rhydin. Though I do enjoy the flirting with the men and the silliness the women and I can get up to, I would say it is more that I have come to depend on them to be able to share my life with. My joys and disappointments, my highs and lows. I know that they will be there for me whether I need someone to celebrate with or a shoulder to lean, and even cry, on. That simple knowing makes their company even more desirable than even the flirting and silliness.

But that does not mean that new friends are to be shunned and not sought out. So many have already brought me joy. There is the aforementioned Druid, for one.

Topaz, my boss on the Island, is becoming someone I can laugh with as well as seek advice from.

Taneth, from the Inn, is simply delightful and so full of life and energy. She reminds me to enjoy life and living. To give in to the silly little girl that still lives inside me.. even when it comes to something that seems as childish as bouncing. And giggling like a little girl. Surpressing the child inside us leads us to forget that life doesn't always have to be serious.

Wyh, also from the Inn, reminds me that there is beauty in everyone around us. She has such a gracious manner, and is very much in evidence for her friends.. and her skills are incredible. Combined together, outward appearance aside, she is truly a beautiful being.

Even "Floaty" as I call the skull that drifts about the Inn, has added something to my life, and I don't mean only the dwarven spirit that he gave me to help me with the paperwork that threatens to bury me at times. I mean, Floaty is supposedly evil. He's a drichloch.. a spellcaster who gave up his physical body and pleasures for power.. and he sups on the souls of other beings. Most would call that evil. I know I would have not so long ago. But he has a generous nature. He makes no excuse or apology for what he is or has to do to survive, but I do not think it is done of malice. Were he not of a kind nature, he would not be so gentle with Taneth, nor as generous as he has been with Chryrie and myself.

And speaking of Chryrie.. on the surface she appears a bit narcissistic, which reminds me to take time for myself and enjoy my looks, health and abilities, and I daresay once I get to know her better, I shall discover her to be much deeper than she appears.

Then there is Rosie. She is a sweet, shy lass. She has began finding happiness in her beloved and a purpose and strength in herself. She reminds me that life can be simple and happy, but one must never be complacent. And never lose that core of strength that makes us fierce when those simple, happy things are threatened. Watching her learn not to be afraid, to conquer her fears reminds me we all have things to overcome, and we must all at some time face our fears and decide if we will allow then to overwhelm us or if we will face them with teeth bared.

Icer.. she shows me that even the most venerated and possibly fierce can be gentle and value mate, family and friends. That power and ability does not strip one of a good and loving heart.

Azjah, from the Island has taught me that grace is something to be cultivated. Her manner is by far one of the most gracious I have yet to find. Yet she still has a sense of humor and an enjoyment of friends and fun.

Rena has shown me that the quietest can be the most surprising. She seems a mouse in the corner at times, but has the most amazing sense of wisdom. She teaches me to be quiet and listen and really see. Her dry sense of humor is refreshing.

I have met many others that I am sure will teach me much in my life here, for good or for ill will be as the fates decree. I look forward to the path that knowledge takes.

Return to “Journals”