Arcanist Trial Update

Out of Character message board for the Duel of Magic

Moderator: Staff

DUEL Specter
RoH Official
RoH Official
Location: Coordinators office on Twilight Isle. She'll be the one glowing in the dark.

Arcanist Trial Update

Post by DUEL Specter »

Hello all. It's both frustrating and embarrassing to post this, but it seems that I've misread and mismanaged the Arcanist Trials since it's first run starting March 13, 2018. Within the rules it reads:
Those taking part in the Arcanist Trials will additionally be ranked ROK style and the top Arcanist at the end of the cycle with a record of 50% or better with a minimum of 4 duels logged will have the opportunity to choose between adding 5 WoLs to their record or a newly buffed Spirit Staff (see below for Spirit Staff details). They will also be given the IC benefit of Eternity Spire. Think of it as an exclusive little clubhouse to hang out for the duration of the cycle. It's a gamble, but a fun one at that! Second place in the Arcanist Trial will get the remaining prize.
As you can see, the Arcanist Winner is meant to choose between either the Spirit Staff or the 5 WoL prize, while second place would get the option of the remaining prize. I've been, sadly, gifting the winner both the Spirit Staff and the 5 WoL incorrectly.

I've looked through the past Arcanist Trials, many of them either had second place with a one or two duels to their name, or were below the 50% win-rate (which would make them unable to receive a prize), but there is one instance of a second place winner having a 4 duel minimum along with a win record of 50% or better: Eden Parker - 3-1-0 - 75%, found in the Summer 2018 Cycle Arcanist Trials.

Because of this we will be gifting Eden Parker her deserved prize of 5 WoL added to her record. I want to say right now that when I say we in this, that is the decision of both Claire and I -- but I take full responsibility for this mishap and I sincerely apologize.

While this mistake was found in the process of posting the Light & Dark cycle Arcanist Trials results, we think it is only fair that Goldglo be rewarded both prizes as the other past winners have been. He will be allowed to use the Spirit Staff throughout the Cycle of Fire, which began yesterday (6/23/2019), as well as being rewarded 5 WoL for his victory over the span of the prior cycle. As none of the other participants gained the 4 duel minimum requirement, there is no second place.

As of now the Arcanist Trials will be put on hold. With only the same 4 participants joining / playing since it's inception, we have obviously not hit the mark on finding a way to promote the challenge of opting out of Duel of Magic's loss-free format. While we will continue to provide a loss-free alternative, we will be taking time to try and figure out a way to make it more appealing: be it through achievements (two of which have been implemented: Spirit of the Arcanist / Heroic Spirit of the Arcanist - Link to the Achievement Page) or other methods.

The Eternity Spire will still be an IC setting for both current and former Arcanist Trials winners.
Priscilla Specter
Assistant Coordinator & Event Coordinator of the Duel of Magic

Return to “Duel of Magic (OOC)”