The Islands of the Emerald Isles

An atlas of known places (both within and beyond Rhydin's gates)

Moderator: Staff

Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Location: Matlal, Riverbend, I' Taurn or Nitesong, depending on time of year

Matlal

Post by Alais d Nitesong »

The buildings would be pale salmon plagioclase, but the architectural style is completely different from I’ Taurn. There are 4 round towers at the outer corners of the building, and windows in great abundance, although they are not mullioned. The arches and curves of the roof line are intended to provide a flowing architecture that fits in with the rolling landscape of the islands. The roof material will be patina copper to provide the verdigris green atop the pale salmon stones.

Now, with the destruction of the island, the wood will need to be imported from RhyDin. Where I had hoped to use mahogany for its rich textures and colors, I may have to make use of more varied species of tree. Perhaps Rab will be able to help me locate the lumber required to create the doors and window sills and inner trims.

The floor is stone, and as the entry doors swing open the pale salmon stone has an inlay of black tanzanite in the form of a dragon in flight, surrounded by a large Celtic knot. The image runs from wall to wall of the entry foyer. Each room has a different image inlaid into the pale salmon stone.

To the right of the entry are the official public offices and rooms. There Garl will have a place to address the administrative needs, and there will be other rooms for public use.

To the left of the foyer is where I shall reside. I have made the plans a mirror image of the original as I do not wish to face the same views and the same setting as before. There would be too much pain associated with rebuilding in the identical plans.

My side of the structure encompasses two circular towers and a narrow slice of the 3 story main structure. The personal apartments are located in the tower that faces the ocean, with a view of Odhran in the distance, and the remaining section is for setting up a governing body upon the isle. A place to record histories, to have a library and archive, and a gathering hall.

At the center of the house is a room that will be set deeply into the heart of the Isle where the books will be locked away. This room is deep within the core of the island, down 200 stairs into the rock, and surrounded at the surface by the warding of the house. It is designed to be a protection against all magical influences, and a place of great security.

The book room is lined with bronze basalt stone, and I had planned to make arrangements with Tass to assure that not only my wards will protect the room from visitors, but now that the books are gone, the room will serve a different purpose.

The four towers will rise 5 stories in height, with the main house rising 3 stories in height. The great hall will be open the full 3 stories, with 16” doors of carved mahogany decorated with mithril. I plan to bring my Sidhe heritage to the Island to share with the Dragons. Dragons love luxury and beautiful things. I think their love of beauty is partly what has given them a reputation for hoarding treasure. Since I will be living among them, I must provide them with an administration complex that will be pleasing to look upon, whether from the ground or air.

The architect has agreed to use elven stone carvers for the structure, as that is the only way to achieve the open, airy look and feel that I desire from this complex. While it will be made of salmon stone, it must have the look and feel of the Sidhe. Timing for this project exceeds my anticipation, but I will not compromise for the sake of expediency.
Lady Alais d' Arma Graham d' Nitesong Sidhe
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Location: Matlal, Riverbend, I' Taurn or Nitesong, depending on time of year

Post by Alais d Nitesong »

Tass’ homeland was once conducive to setting up the arboretum and gardens. Color and diversity are paramount, but I do not think I will do formal gardens as my grandparents did for I’ Taurn. I like the more natural layout, and using color wisely will prove more soothing than the formal lines of my current gardens. Though now, after Malchor’s presence, the thought of gardens is distant.

At the front entry, there is to be a fountain to celebrate the beauty of dragon flight. This home will be a blending of Sidhe and Dragon art. The fountain will be the centerpiece for the orchids I have created, and will be a memorial to the dragons who have so recently died.

The island of Matlal itself is part of the Emerald Islands, which are a magical realm created for dragon kind by Lord Momus. There are 3 main islands, and innumerable smaller ones in an archipelago set in an azure sea. They are volcanic in origin, and Matlal does have an active volcano at its heart. There are several peaks that are snow covered all year round, but Odhran has the honor of housing the highest mountain in the island chain.

Matlal was once green and beautiful. An emerald set in the azure sea that shone more brilliantly for the black sand beaches that separate the land from the water, but in the wake of Malchor, the green has all been destroyed, and only the bare rock remains, along with a shrine that had once been set deep into the woods on the north side of the island, and a single salmon foundation stone that tied my magic to the power of the island.

Matlal is home to a group of dragons that has been hit hard by the depredations of Malchor, and a group of Silver Dragons that are loosely led by my friend Garl, who was sent to Matlal by Tasslehofl to help me build and organize Matlal. Garl was nearly lost to me when Malchor stripped him of his soul, but when Malchor’s soul gem was destroyed, Garl’s soul was returned to his broken body. With time, Garl will be healed, but the memory of watching the destruction lays heavy upon him.

The Island of Matlal is composed of volcanic rock and on the north side of the island, there are sheer cliffs that drop into a deep ocean trench. Here one of the volcanoes has fractured and part of it had fallen into the sea, leaving the great cliffs behind. The porous rock had been home to some of the sea going birds, and it was this end of the island that saw the least destruction. But this place is wild, and untamed. There are no roads here, and only the shrine remains behind to show that sentience even knows this place exists.

The southern side of the island is where most of the population had lived, but now the roads and homes are destroyed. The valley where the Annarans had been sent back into hell was black from the explosions of the weapons Sai Jon had deployed. Rock had been pulverized, and fire had raged across the land. It has the look of a forsaken place, utterly devoid of life.

My goal and my challenge is to put this land back to what it once once. A green and growing place with a healthy dragon population.
Lady Alais d' Arma Graham d' Nitesong Sidhe

Return to “Atlas Rhydinica (shared)”