The Journals of Westridge

The Adventures of RDI Bartender and DoS/DoF Caller, Tera Destre La Fontaine.

Moderators: Tera Destre, Gavilean

Gavilean
Adventurer
Adventurer

The Journals of Westridge

Post by Gavilean »

Journal entry 486:

I have not written here for several weeks for there has been so much that has happened that I have had little free time; and now I have the seemingly impossible task ahead of me to catch up with these entries, and I hardly know where to begin.

Whilst I sought refreshment at the old Red Dragon Inn one night, I met a gent, or more precisely, a French pirate, by the name of Jean de La Fontaine. We had many nights of interesting discussions and grew to trust each other.

His wife’s name is Tera Destre, and she works as a bartender and calls in the dueling arenas, places that I had not frequented in many years. Evidently she and I had met long ago in the arena, for she knew of me. She is a beautiful woman in every way imaginable, so when her husband made the request of me, I had willingly agreed to keep a protective eye over Tera Destre while he was at sea on a commission of trade. The trip was estimated to only last for two weeks. No one could have anticipated the outcome of that fateful voyage.

During that time I grew quite close to Des and found her presence to be far more enjoyable than perhaps I should have. I stayed at their apartment at night, sleeping on the couch where I could watch her as she slept. After several nights, when she needed more comfort than usual, I slept with her upon the floor. My arm was around her to provide comfort, but there was no action that would be deemed inappropriate. I must confess that I might have found more comfort in those nights than she did.

We were soon sleeping together upon her couch, and one night I nearly kissed her in a much desired but quite inappropriate way. I think it was at that moment that I realized that I was beginning to fall in love with her – something that I was trying to resist.

One night at the Inn a young man from the ship’s crew arrived and gave us the horrible news that Jean had died, going down with his ship during a terrible storm.
Gavilean
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Gavilean »

Journal entry 487:

The news of that night was devastating to us both.

As much as I was growing to love Des, I knew how much she loved Jean, and I did not want to see that hurt come upon her. I would have rather that Jean returned to Des and I return to my mundane duties in Westridge.

Des has been strong in the midst of this tragedy, but there are times when she “breaks” down and needs to be “fixed.” I try to be there for her during these times; and if I can’t be, she does find solace in the presence of our old friend, Tass.

They say that beauty can arise from ashes, and I have witnessed that happening between Des and myself over the last week. We both have yielded to the deep feelings within us - that realization that we love each other and want to spend the remainder of our lives together.

I have tried to be with Des as much as possible during this time when she strives to get her life back to normal. I have even gone to be with her in the arenas and dueled a couple of times and discovered that I still enjoy the sport.

We have also begun to sleep together in her bed. When I feel her body next to mine I pray that daylight will never come, for I have no desire to free her from my embrace.

It is my all consuming desire that she and I would be wed when her time of grieving is over. I intend to purchase the most beautiful ring to be found anywhere and propose to her. Knowing Jean as I do, I know that is what he would want. That noble pirate even wrote as much in his last epistle to Des.

I shall await for the proper place and time, and ask her to be mine forever.
Gavilean
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Gavilean »

Journal entry 488:

Last night was an interesting night at the Red Dragon Inn. I was in the arena with Tass and Kyndra and saw Queen Teleperien of Eldicor coming down the steps. We talked for a bit, and when I said I was going up to speak to Des, she wanted to come along to give Des a gift.

Tele gave Des two portal stones that can be used to transport us to Eldicor. It’s quite an honor to be entrusted with such a gift. It was good seeing my old friend again, for Eldicor and Westridge have been allies for as long as I can remember.

Then the Marchioness, Azjah Caer, came into the Inn. I didn’t know who that gorgeous platinum blonde with those azure eyes was. I asked Tele and she told me the Marchioness’ name. I had heard a lot about Azjah, so it was nice to finally meet her in person. She’s just as high society as I imagined she’d be, and so very nice. I’d love to speak with her again sometime.

Then my old friend, Seeker, came into the Inn! It’s always good to see her. She never stays very long, but she has a way of teasing me that’s so much fun. I remember when she got me that wonderful birthday cake this year.

Then Koyliak VanDuran arrived. I didn’t remember her, but evidently Des knows her well. I must have met her at some time for she remembered me. We were talking and laughing about a gift of a tiara to Des.

We all got pretty tired by that time and left the Inn for the night, but it was nice seeing old friends and making new ones.
Gavilean
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Gavilean »

Journal entry 497:

I felt so sorry for Des tonight. She has put up with so many accusations, stupid inquiries, insensitive comments and outright abuse over the fact that we love each other and are getting married within months after Jean’s death. She has handled it as well as could be expected, but things like that do take its toll. Then she was beat up pretty badly in the arena tonight and the healing wards were not present. After that she had to put up with so much going on at the Inn, and she does it with such patience and caring.

It was a rainy night and I carried her home; she was so sore and tired and hurting. After a hot bath and my healing touch, she went out to the balcony wearing that white terrycloth robe that I love so much, and she waited for me to bring out the wine coolers.

While getting them ready I looked out and saw her wiping tears from her eyes, and my heart broke. I brought out my guitar along with the wine coolers, sat down in front of her, and sang a song that spoke exactly what I was feeling.

When the rain is blowing in your face
And the whole world is on your case
I would offer you a warm embrace
To make you feel my love

When the evening shadows and the stars appear
And there is no one to dry your tears
I could hold you for a million years
To make you feel my love

I know you haven't made your mind up yet
But I would never do you wrong
I've known it from the moment that we met
No doubt in my mind where you belong

I'd go hungry, I'd go black and blue
I'd go crawling down the avenue
There ain't nothing that I wouldn't do
To make you feel my love

The storms are raging on a rolling sea
Down the highway of regret
The winds of change are blowing wild and free
But you ain't seen nothing like me yet

There ain't nothing that I wouldn't do
Go to the ends of the earth for you
Make you happy, make your dreams come true
To make you feel my love

© Garth Brooks, “To Make You Feel My Love”

[Author's Note: To hear the song sung, go to http://www.ladyjayes.com/feelmylove-g.html ]
Gavilean
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Gavilean »

[Note: Not all journal entries are meant for public viewing. Some concern the private business of running the affairs of the Kingdom of Westridge. Some concern various individuals in the kingdom and their private matters. Still other entries are about the private times that King Gavilean has with his soon-to-be bride, Tera Destre, in their apartment at 42 Cranapple Street and elsewhere. Therefore, the Journal Entries that you see here have numerical gaps. It is as if you are flipping through the pages and getting occasional glimpses into their lives and Gavilean’s thoughts.]

Journal Entry 504

The day of our wedding cannot get here soon enough for me. It is with great longing and desire that I await for the pronouncement of our marriage, and for the time when I can publicly call Des my wife.

Upon my word, she is so dear to me. There is nothing that she does that I don’t find absolutely fascinating, drawing me to her like some wayward bee to a honey pot. She is totally beautiful yet faithful; outgoing yet not the flirt, trustworthy in all things; dependable like no other, and quick to assist others in their need. Yet is it the tenderness of her heart in the quiet moments that we have together that so enthralls me and leaves me wanting no other but my Des. To awaken with Des in my arms is to begin each new day with a taste of paradise.

Much has been happening while I’m here in RhyDin. I’ve agreed to become the photographer and reporter for The Oracle, and the first issue is out and has been well received. Amaltea of Barsi has done such a good job as Editor-in-Chief, and of course my Des is the Reporter Extraordinaire!

Artemus has become a good friend, and we often talk about social matters and the duels. He is providing 7000 blue roses for the wedding. They should look spectacular. I’ve been pleased to once again have the opportunity to socialize with my old friend Elijah, both at the duels and in the Inn. It’s beginning to seem like old times in RhyDin. I’ve even seen Topaz here and it’s been years since I’d last seen her. We are actually closer now than we ever were in the past. I’ve enjoyed getting to know Delroy McCloud better and Brigath, although Brig, rest his soul, has recently departed this realm of the living. This has been a terrible loss for Kyndra, who had grown quite fond of him.

We are not just over one week from the day of the wedding. Most of the plans are in order and the palace staff has been working overtime. Miss Partinger has come to me privately several times in exasperation over what she calls “the impossible task of making a bartending cowgirl into a queen.” I assured her that in my eyes Des is already a queen and that Miss Partinger needs to expand her vision of just how a queen should be and act. She assured me that she would try to not be so narrow-minded in the future. Actually, I’m very pleased with how well Des is doing in learning the High Elfin language. She doesn’t have to do this to be Queen of Westridge, yet she has taken it on and I’m sure all Westridge is going to be surprised and delighted.

I must stop at this point. Des is dressed and ready to head to the market with me. She sure does love to shop.

Return to “It's A Bartender's Life For Me”