Plan B.

The Adventures of RDI Bartender and DoS/DoF Caller, Tera Destre La Fontaine.

Moderators: Tera Destre, Gavilean

Tera Destre
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Plan B.

Post by Tera Destre »

Spying Skyler’s note she jerked it off the board and took it with her upstairs to the Inn. Finding him there she confronted him, waving the note in his face and yelling at him to stop lying about giving her a gift. He however was skunk drunk and was hiding curled up against Kelathe’s side.

Kel was protecting him and informed Des that perhaps Sklyer hadn’t intended for the tiara to be a present for her at all. At first Des was upset to think that he hadn’t meant to give her a gift but then she got to thinking back and remembered how he had acted when he gave it to her. He hadn’t acted like someone that hadn’t wanted to be giving a present. Nope, not one bit!

Having tended bar for well on fourteen years Des knew better than to try and argue with a drunk therefore it was time to put plan B into action. Don’t mess with a woman who is determined to get her point across and especially don’t mess with a determined Des.

The petite female stood in front of her assembled troops giving them a last good going over to make sure that everyone had their note cards in hand and that everyone had their sacks filled with breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

She had made arrangements with the RDI pages to make sure that each person standing before her would be delivered a fresh water skin every two hours without fail. This would cost her a great deal but she felt it was well worth it and Westridge was picking up the tab since the council was in town to discuss the wedding plans anyway she had simply told the Country’s treasurer to hand over the money to her.

A slow smile curved into place as she nodded her satisfaction to her troop of Town Criers and sent them on their way to stand on the corners of the city blocks in RhyDin. They were stationed approximately every six blocks throughout the entire city. They would sound off every hour on the half hour from the hours of seven thirty in the morning until seven thirty in the evening reading exactly what was written on their note cards each hour every hour without fail.

“Des knows Skyler Jackson Chamberland is a really nice person!"
Tera Destre
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Tera Destre »

Jewell had had a good night. At least, she thought she had a good night. She remembered returning to the Inn, cold and practically in pajamas after a distraught, rainy night and day spent searching for Amthy.

Getting warm and being amongst friends had been the first of her main objectives and imagine her surprise when she found a comforting friend in Skyler. Jewell had actually skipped surprise and went right to being pleased in finding such an agreeable person to spend her night conversing with.

Of course, add a bottle of vodka, physical attraction, Jewell's need for comfort and love of all things male and conversing took a turn to cuddling on the couch in an almost intimate embrace. A good portion of their conversation was a haze induced by alcohol and her bone-weariness. She remembered fingers tracing the lines of her face, hands massaging her scalp in such a manner that she could have begged him to continue doing that forever.

What they did after they left the Inn together? Well, glossed lips were sealed for now but, as she wandered the streets of the city mid-morning with a pounding headache that was made only worse by people shouting at every few street corners, she'd have to agree with the message that was being sent throughout the city: Skyler was a pretty nice guy.
Proven Adventurer

Post by Tera Destre »

As Wednesday morning dawned, Skyler Jackson Chamberland was out cold inside his luxury suite at the Fire & Emeralds Inn and Garden. He had slept restlessly. The bed sheets were a tousled mess. He lay horizontally on the mattress, his head hanging over the side, his long pretty shiny black hair dangling to the floor. This was the third night in a row he had gotten drunk. Before he fell asleep, the boy had wondered if being rich automatically turned you into an alcoholic.

Loud shouting from the street just below the inn roused him from his slumber. Whoever it was bawled out some obnoxious proclamation then went silent again. He tried to pick up his head, but it was as heavy as a boulder. “Arrrrgh.” Immediately his mind went to the woman. In the silent solitude of the room, he croaked her name with need and longing and aggravation. “Jewell.”

The woman had no idea what she had in store if she kept being so damn provocative and sexy. Her “I’m beautiful and friendly and I get my way personality” maddened him. She was a 9-10, way too hot for her own good, despite her old age. If she wasn’t careful, Skyler would end up exploiting that attraction he knew she had for him.

The woman was so expressive with her body language and facial expressions and personality quirks, Skyler could read her like a large-print book. But there was a problem that frustrated him deeply. He suspected she didn’t see him as the vile villain that he was. Skyler was not a nice boy. She would discover that sooner or later, he would see to it. He may not be evil or demonic, but he was certainly not nice, and he was certainly a jerk often times. In his experience, the nice guy was always the one waiting outside in the pouring rain with flowers in his hands, while the bad guy was inside having his way with the girl he wanted. No, Skyler Jackson Chamberland was not a nice guy. Not now, not ever.

Again somebody shouted on the street below the inn. All he could hear was “De . . . .. Sk. . .. . . Ja . . . .Cha . . ... rea . ....ni. . . .. pe . . .”

Skyler rolled out of the bed and landed on the floor. The impact served to revive him slightly. He had an intense hangover and a splitting headache. He managed to pull himself to his feet, cross to the window and throw it open. He slapped a hand over his eyes when the bright rays of sunlight hit his face.

“Who the hell is out here screaming at seven thirty in the morning?” the youth demanded.

“Me!” came a prompt reply.

Skyler squinted through the sun to the one who had spoken. “Shut-up, you!”

“No!” the man shot back.

“What? You shut-up or I’ll thump your skull for you,” he warned.

“Des knows Skyler Jackson Chamberland is a really nice person!”

Skyler recoiled as if he had been punched. “W,W,What the hell did you just say?”

“Des knows Skyler Jackson Chamberland is a really nice person!”

The boy slammed his window shut and howled. “Teeeeeeeeerrrrraaaaaaaaa!” He stumbled into the bathroom where he quickly went about putting on his face. He shaved, took a cold shower to combat the hangover, then shampooed his hair and brushed his teeth. Skyler seldom left his home in the morning without looking and smelling pretty. He dressed, strapped on his revolver and his samurai sword, grabbed some rope, some duct tape, and left the inn. On the way out, he trampled over a young maid, knocking her and her linens all over the floor without even bothering to apologize.

He burst out of the inn’s front door and stormed onto the street where the man who had slandered him stood. Without a word, Skyler drew his sword and slashed at his belt. The man’s pants dropped to his ankles, whereupon the youth shoved him over and yanked them off his legs. He placed one of his boots on the man’s back, right between his shoulder blades, pinning him down. “How many of you are there?” he screamed.

“Ugh . . . a couple dozen?” The man whined helplessly and pleaded to be released. “I’m just doing my job!”

Skyler balled the man’s pants up and tossed them on top of a nearby roof so he couldn’t get them back. Then he pulled his revolver and pointed it at his head. He spoke loudly and furiously. “Run, you cur! Tell all the other curs the Vile Villain is coming. You tell ‘em I’M COMING. AND HELL’S COMING WITH ME, YOU HEAR? HELL’S COMING WITH ME!” The man got to his feet and sprinted away, his pale butt bare for everyone to see. Skyler fired off two shots of his revolver at the road beneath his feet to keep him on his toes.

There was a crowd of people gawking at the young man, some scowling, others frightful. He ignored them and raced back to the inn, threw open the door of the stables and leapt onto his horse, Rusher, a solid black beast of speed and power. Riding expertly without a saddle, gripping the horse’s mane with his left hand, he exploded out of the stable and tore off down the road at a gallop, his samurai sword outstretched in his right hand, his long pretty shinny black hair streaming out behind him.

Six blocks later he came to another idiot town crier, crying out the same slanderous lie. “Des knows Skyler Jackson Chamberland is a really nice person!”

Skyler leapt from his horse in full gallop and landed on him. They went to the ground in a rolling heap of limbs. He bashed the man over the head with the hilt of his sword until he was senseless, then the boy wrapped a length of duct tape around his face several times, covering his mouth and eyes. Finally he tied the rope around his ankle, tossed the other end over a lamp post and hoisted the hapless fool up into the air to dangle there. He tied the rope off, jumped back onto Rusher and galloped further down the street.

The next fool slanderer he came across was a woman, young and peppy looking. She seemed entirely too cheerful about the vicious lie she was spreading. Skyler reigned to a stop before her, grabbed her by the back of the shirt and hoisted her up onto his horse. There, he bent her over Rusher’s back and spanked her bottom relentlessly. She squirmed and squealed, but Skyler didn’t stop until he was sure she had a nice sore pink rear end underneath her clothes. At last he dropped her back to the ground where she collapsed, whimpering. He pointed a finger at her face. “You dare to say it again and I’ll be back to give you double!”

She took the threat seriously and scampered off, crying. Skyler kicked Rusher to a gallop and he rode off in search of the next unfortunate soul.

Six blocks later he found this huge fat guy crying out Tera’s lie. “Des knows Skyler Jackson Chamberland is a really nice person!”

The boy hopped off his horse and walked into a nearby stable. Inside he found a bucket of manure. He walked up to the fat man calmly and tossed the bucket’s contents into his face. The fat man froze and blinked uncertainly, then actually began to cry. Tears leaked down his face and streaked the manure caked on his cheeks. “You, you threw horse poop on me,” he lamented.

“Yeah,” Skyler retorted. “Get the hell out of here or I’ll make you eat it!”

The fat man waddled away.

Another female was waiting for him exactly six blocks later. She had a long thick braid stretching down her back. With one hand he yanked it taught, with the other he severed it clean off with the sharp steel of his samurai sword. She shrieked and spun around, feeling for her missing hair. Skyler stood there dangling it back and forth, grinning. Tears burst out of her eyes and she ran away, sobbing.

The mean young man finally sheathed his sword. He had proven his point. The first man he had threatened had probably told the rest of them by now. And word would have traveled fast about the violence that had befallen the others. The slander would soon stop. Tiredly he got back on his horse and walked it back to his inn, hurt and angry that Tera could possibly do something like this to him.
Tera Destre
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Tera Destre »

Des couldn’t believe it as one by one the RDI pages began reporting back to her that their assigned Town Criers were going missing. By eleven thirty there wasn’t one left standing on any street corner anywhere in RhyDin with sack breakfast, lunch, dinner, and note card.

It just so happened that at the time the last RDI page reported to her she was sitting with her new deportment tutor one Miss Partinger, an elegantly refined woman of impeccable manners and good breeding, that had been trying for the better part of an hour to explain to the cowgirl why it was now necessary she begin to think terms of possible future repercussions rather than immediate gratifications when faced with situations.

Des smiled warmly to the woman, whose smile by now was looking a little frayed around the edges, then gracefully stood and threw back her head and screamed at the top of her lungs, “SKLYER JUSTIN CHAMBERLIN I AM GONNA HIT YOU!!”

Once that had been done she regally retook her seat across from her tutor and smiled warmly to her then nodded her permission for her to continue the lesson. Miss Partinger’s eyes narrowed at the unseemly display but her expression quickly smoothed back into her customary smile. “Miss Destre tis my duty to inform ye that the future Queen of Westridge cannae be screaming threats. Ye must remember ye station now and behave accordingly.”

The cowgirl chuckled warmly and grinned to the Lady with a sassily wink. “Don’t you be worrying none Darlin’. It’s just Skyler. He knows I wouldn’t really hit him. But right now I need to be going and see if I can’t track him down. He can’t be doing all this here stuff to my Town Criers. I’ve really enjoyed getting to spend time with ya Darlin’.”

Her gaze on her employer’s Fiancé the Lady sat her dainty china cup and saucer on the end table and gracefully rose shaking out her skirts and smoothing them down before looking up to the hoyden dressed in jeans and a t-shirt.

She despaired of ever teaching her any sort of manners that would pass in the royal court and had visions of her leaping off the dias and onto Courtiers for some imagined slight that would devolve into brawls on the throne room floor during Court. Miss Partinger refused to let a Council session enter her mind; the mere thought was too horrid to contemplate for her.

Her voice was pitched low and melodious exactly as a Lady’s should be as she replied, “The tea was lovely Miss Destre thank ye. I bid ye good day.”

As soon as the woman was out of sight Des jumped to her feet and headed for the door muttering darkly all the way as she headed for the Inn and where she hoped she would find her intended target. They definitely needed to talk.

Return to “It's A Bartender's Life For Me”