At The Cemetery.

The Adventures of RDI Bartender and DoS/DoF Caller, Tera Destre La Fontaine.

Moderators: Tera Destre, Gavilean

Tera Destre
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

At The Cemetery.

Post by Tera Destre »

Kneeling in front of the headstone Des took the grass clippers she had brought with her and trimmed all around it making sure that her beloved French Pirate’s grave site stayed looking neat and tidy. She pulled every green thing that looked like it could possibly be a weed trying to besmirch the sanctity of where her husband’s stone sat.

Critically she sat back on her heels and surveyed her handiwork before placing the single crimson rose she had also brought with her at the foot of the beautiful gift his surviving crew had placed there. “Well a lot has happened in the few days since I got the news my Beloved French Pirate.”

Tears began to fall as she looked at the writing on the stone and began speaking with him as though he were there with her. “I’ve been taking your advice and getting on with living. It is hard sometimes but I’m doing it. You and I didn’t have that much time together on this here earth which I guess is both a blessing and a curse in this here situation. Wishing we had had more time together ain’t gonna get me no where but crying even more and probably back to drinking myself skunk drunk which would mean Gav would be having to carry me back out of the Inn again.”

The cowgirl sniffed and tugged the bottom of her t-shirt free to wipe her face which immediately was covered again with fresh tear tracks as she continued to speak quietly. “You’d be proud of me though cause I ain’t letting nobody see how much I’m hurting except Tass and Gav. Ain’t nobody would want to be around somebody who was crying and moping around and all sad all the time and I know this so I ain’t being that way in front of people. I got my jobs to think of and people to please when I am working and I need my jobs so that I can make money to go shopping.”

“Gav helped me and I went through all of your things and gave them to the RhyDin orphanage except for that one shirt of yours that I was sleeping in and your Elven sword that I bought you. I’m keeping those two things so that I’ll always have something of yours with me. I ain’t giving up my rings either. I put them safely away in my jewelry box.”

“I better be going now. I got your place here looking real nice again. I still love you.” Des hopped to her feet and swiped at her face again then turned and ran from the Cemetery as fast as she could. She was making a beeline straight for where she knew Gav was as she needed comfort and badly.
Tera Destre
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Tera Destre »

“Dang nab it! This here grass grows like weeds. What the heck they do around here put fertilizer on it so we have to come here more often to visit or get known as not caring about our loved ones that have passed!?”

Des clipped viciously at the grass that had grown up to what seemed an unreasonable height around the bottom of her Beloved French Pirate’s headstone with the pair of hand clippers as she muttered darkly beneath her breath.

“I’ll tell you what Babe. I ain’t gonna be known as not having loved you. And I ain’t gonna be known for not taking care of this here headstone of yours. This here is just ridiculous. I may just go get me some of that there roundup stuff and spray it all around this here stone of yours. But then the ground would be all bare and that wouldn’t look pretty either.”

Continuing to mutter as the clippers did their work she shifted to behind the stone and began on the tall grass back there; each cut of the shears satisfying as the grass gave beneath the sharp blades. “I reckon I could get me some of that there fake grass and lay it around your stone for ya but it does look so very fake. Or I could just get me some of those silky flowers but that wouldn’t really look right either. Maybe I should see about getting me one of them their mage’s to put a spell on the grass here so it wouldn’t grow so fast.”

“Now don’t get me wrong Babe. I do not mind taking care of your place here but this grass needs to understand that it can’t be taking over just because I had to work a few days in a row!! Oh! You’ll be happy to know that I gutted Harris and Gav asked me to marry him and I said yes. Don’t know when we’ll do the marrying part but we’ll figure that out later.”

The cowgirl gathered up all the clippings and tossed them at the base of the shade tree nearby then returned and placed the single crimson rose she had brought with her at the base of it.
Gavilean
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Gavilean »

Gavilean Starfare saw Des in the cemetery and approached her as she was going back to the grave site with the single crimson rose in her hand. He didn't want to surprise her, so he came into her sight as she knelt there with the rose. He had a faint smile on his face, acknowledging that these times are not easy for her. "May I join you?" he asked Des.

The clippers were set down and she wiped her hands on her jeans then held one out to him in invitation as she tilted her head to the side and smiled up to him with a nod. "Sure Babe."

He sat down next to her on the grass and put his arm around her. "I just wanted to talk to Jean. The three of us haven't talked together for a while." He looked into her navy blues with an understanding smile, "Is that okay with you, darlin'?”

She shifted slightly to make herself more comfortable in the circle of his arm then glanced to the headstone before looking back to him with a faint sheen of tears in her eyes before nodding again to him. "I think Jean would really like that Babe."

"I think so too." He looked at the gravestone, a sadness was apparent upon his face. "Good to be with you again, Jean. It's been some time since the three of us have been together. I miss those days. I have to say, Jean, you are greatly missed in this town. I think you'd be surprised at how many friends you have here who really miss you. Isn't that right, Des?"

She smiled and nodded rapidly. "Gav is right. A whole lot of people here have said how much they really liked you and that you are missed."

He took a deep breath, "Anyway, Jean, I just wanted to thank you for that last note you wrote. It's made things easier for Des and me, and I know how hard that must have been for you, knowing your love for Des." He paused for a bit, "I just wanted to you know, Jean, that I'm taking good care of your lady. I'll always do that, Jean, because, you see, we're going to be married. I can see why you loved her so much. I love her too, Jean. I know I'll never replace you in her life, but her heart is big enough to have me there too."

Tears began to fall in earnest now. She couldn't believe what she was hearing that he would understand so very well that he had loved her French Pirate deeply and he would always hold a place in her heart but she loved him just as deeply and always had since the moment she laid eyes on him years ago. It was fate that had taken one and brought the other back into her life she laid her head on Gav's shoulder as she listened to him talking to Jean.

His arm held Des tighter to himself and he brushed a tear from her cheek with a gentle move of his thumb. "I'm not sure what else to say, Jean. The apartment you found is still being used and we're keeping it up really nice. We always think of you when we're sitting out on that balcony. We know you're there with us, Jean."

He stopped and sighed. "Well, I guess I've said all I wanted to say for now. Don't you worry about Des, Jean. I love her more than life and there's nothing that I wouldn't do for her." He looked at Des and kissed her cheek. "I guess we'll be going now, Jean. We'll be back soon; and of course, know that you're always with us." He looked down and wiped a moist eye.

She half-turned and brushed at his cheeks tenderly with her fingers then smiling softly leaned forward and kissed him lovingly before kissing the fingers of one hand and placing them to the cold marble of the headstone. "We miss ya Jean and like Gav said we'll come back and see ya real soon." She turned back to her fiancé with a loving smile and sought his gaze with her own. "Let's go home Babe."

He smiled and nodded in agreement. "I'd like to do one thing first. If there's one thing the elfin are good at, it's our relationship with nature."

He laid his hands on the grass around the grave stone and sung a spell of earth and soil and living things. When he was finished he looked at Des and smiled. "Our Jean is going to have the best looking grave site anywhere, my love." He gave her a wink, then stood and helped her to her feet.

"Babe!" Des smiled radiantly as she effortlessly hopped to her feet with the aid of his hand and looked at the ground around the headstone then bent and picked up the grass clippers only to hurl them as far as she physically could away from them. "I hate cutting grass with them things and I hate weeds. I wish I'd thought to ask you to fix this days ago." She wrapped her arms around his middle in a tight hug of sheer joy to be rid of this chore. Now she could come and just visit.

He laughed at his fiancée’s enthusiasm and the way she tossed those clippers. He could not love this woman more, yet he knew that come tomorrow and the next day and the day after that forever and ever, his love for her would continue to grow. He walked her out of the cemetery, whispering things that were just meant for these two young lovers.
Tera Destre
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Tera Destre »

Destre sat cross-legged right in front of the stone with one hand resting on the cold marble and tears running down her cheeks as she quietly spoke. “I haven’t forgotten you, Jean. I’ll never, ever forget you. I promised you that I wouldn’t and I keep my promises. No matter what. We are planning our wedding now. It is going to be a real fancy affair not private like ours was.”

She ran her fingers lightly over the letters of his name, tracing each one, and tilted her head to the side as she went on telling him the latest news she had. “We are having a State Wedding in the tradition of Westridge just like all his ancestors have had. The Council have come to town and are now helping us make the arrangements. Kyndra, you didn’t get to meet her, she is gonna be my Maid of Honor and Tass is gonna be Gav’s Best Man I think.”

“Our colors are gonna be Red, Black, and Gold cause them is the colors of Westridge but you know how much I like blue so I’m getting Art to make me some really pretty blue roses like he made one of the other night in the Inn so that I can have some of them too for it.” The tears were falling faster now and she jumped to her feet. She hadn’t thought it would hurt to tell him about her upcoming wedding but she was hurting inside so badly that she could barely breathe.

Glancing to her left then her right in sheer panic she covered her mouth with one hand to hold in the scream then wild eyed looked at the headstone before spinning on her heel and taking off at a dead run as though all the demons of hell were chasing her.
Gavilean
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Gavilean »

Gavilean watched from a distance, as he often did. He knew her heart better than anyone, and he knew how difficult this time was for Tera; being torn between grief and happiness. She was so brave in the Inn and while working in the arenas, that some who see her might think she so quickly got over Jean de La Fontaine.

Gav knew differently. He knew how much she grieved. He knew the times she would awaken in the night as sob after a dream about Jean, and how he would have to hold her until she could sleep peacefully again. He knew the love that had grown between Des and Jean in that relatively short time they had together. He would be with Des in those quiet, private times at the end of the day, and they would talk about her life with Jean just as much as they would about their future life together.

So when Des would feel the need to go to the cemetery, Gavilean would already realize it and would follow her and be there in the distance, waiting.

Des ran right into his arms and he held her tight and kissed her hair and whispered words of comfort both in the common and the Elvin tongue. They stood at the edge of the cemetery and she wept in his arms for a very long time.

“We should go back home now,” he said softly when she had recovered and a faint smile returned to her face. “Have I ever told you about the days when the High Elvin race first crossed the waters. . .” His voice drifted off as they walked with arms around each other, heading toward Cranapple Street.
Tera Destre
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Tera Destre »

The cowgirl, bar tender, was sitting facing the headstone with a smile on her face as she spoke animatedly with her Beloved French Pirate. Navy blue eyes were sparkling and her hands were gesturing in her excitement.

So now the apartment is full of these here invitations and I have already sent a bunch of messengers out but I still got a whole lot more to send out. It is looking like I may be having to keep sending them out on different days because I keep messing up the lists.

I don’t know what it is about these here wedding invite lists but I just can not seem to keep ‘em straight! We have got all kinds of people that have to be invited. I am worried that The Great Hall won’t be holding all of ‘em but if it don’t I guess they can be peeking in the windows or maybe them that can use magic can hover in the air instead of sitting down. I don’t know what the answer is to tell ya the truth.

You would be real proud of Gav. He ain’t hollered at me one time yet. He just keeps on reading the lists over and over and scratching out this here name and adding other names when I forget them. I got me 5 lists now just for the invites. I had to get all the dueling places, the state people, and the Inn people and then there is the list of them that I already sent out.

It is really turning into quite a mess if I do say so myself and if I am saying it then ya know it must be very much a mess. I am just sure that somewhere I am gonna forget someone and it is gonna end up being one of them fancy pants state people from one of them there other countries and there is gonna be a war or something end up coming out of this here wedding.

I wonder though if they could declare a war just for getting left out of a wedding. That just don’t make sense to me but from what this here Miss Partinger has told me they could see it as some huge slight and see their way clear to do it. Now that would seem to me to be pretty snake low down sneaky and not a pretty sight. So I am being as careful as I can and keeping all these lists that just seem to keep growing into more lists.

Kali Kat is -not- helping as she got hold of the Inn list and shredded it so we had to start all over with it from the very beginning and they are running way behind on getting their invites. I swear there may be some folks that are gonna be getting invites on the very day of this here fancy state wedding! Then there will no doubt be an uproar from the women that won’t have had time to go out and get themselves new dresses to wear special like for it.

Forget another country waging war with us over getting left out I am more worried about having to face a woman that didn’t have time to go out and get herself a new dress! I remember how much you really liked that dress I got myself for Tara and Talomar’s wedding. The look on your face when ya saw me in it was worth all the trouble I went to to get it and all the trouble that came after cause of the way I got it.

Yiks! I better get going for now. I gotta met with that dang treasurer again about the bills for the messengers that are apparently spending their time drinking to excess on the royal tab while I’m trying to get them there lists all straight. I still love you and I’ll come back and see you again soon!

Des placed the single crimson rose at the base of the stone then kissed her fingers and pressed them to the stone before taking off out of the cemetery to keep her appointment.

Return to “It's A Bartender's Life For Me”