Reading Letters From Her Beloved French Pirate (May 2 2006)

The Adventures of RDI Bartender and DoS/DoF Caller, Tera Destre La Fontaine.

Moderators: Tera Destre, Gavilean

Tera Destre
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Reading Letters From Her Beloved French Pirate (May 2 2006)

Post by Tera Destre »

The retired Warlord closed and locked the door, dimmed the lights and went to the kitchen and came back with two more wine coolers. He sat next to Des. "That was nice of them to come over."

The cowgirl took one of the bottles and smiled to him with her head tilted to one side. "I was surprised. I didn't really think they would come over after the dueling finished. Did you?"

"No, I didn't. I thought they were going to look at some property. But they're good friends." He put his cooler in one hand and the other went around Des once again. His heart was breaking for her. As much as he loved her, he still wished Jean would walk in the door and do his 'Bonsoir' thing with Des.

Des nestled against his side with a nod to his answer and looked at the leather satchel sitting on the table in front of the couch. "Ya know I'm gonna have to read those." She wanted to in the worst way but equally, maybe even more, she didn't want to know what was in there. She had her memories and they were wonderful.

What if something awful was in there like details of what happened before or during or while? But on the other hand, what if all that was in there were beautiful letters from her beloved French Pirate; and there she had sat for hours and not read them yet. She really didn't know what to do, so she hadn't done anything but sit and cry and drink and drink and cry some more.

"Des, if you would like, I would be willing to read those letters to you." He knew he could edit anything that might be hard for her to hear at this time.

Her breath caught in the back of her throat on a gasp of surprise and her gaze shifted to capture his. "You would do that for me!?"

"Of course, darling. Would you want me to?"
"I'm to scared to read them, Gav." Her voice was very tiny and small and scarcely above a whisper as she admitted what had kept her from reading them all this time.

"I don't want to know that he is really dead."

"Can't this just be a dream and we will wake up really soon now maybe? Please can't you fix this Gav? And make it not real for me now?"

"I know, hon. I feel the same way. I wish this entire day was just a bad dream that we could wake up and laugh about together. I want to fix it Des, and in time, I will. I promise you that."

She had started crying again somewhere in there and tears were streaming down her cheeks but she didn't care all she could do was look at him imploringly as she begged him to make everything right again for her.

He knew she was still in denial and this was not going to be easy. Her tears broke his heart and he set his drink down and reached out and took her into his arms and held her tightly, caressing her hair. "It'll be okay, my love...it's just going to take some time. I think that for tonight, we just try to sleep. Tomorrow we can think better."

"You don't understand. It ain't supposed to be this way now. This ain't real."

He continued to hold her, but now his voice took on an elfin tone that was both musical and soothing as he sang, "All will be well, my darling....all will be well, my love. ...right now it is cloudy, but the sun's up above...all will be well, my love."

She clung to him as she cried quietly taking comfort from his presence and the soft sound of his voice as well as his words of reassurance. "I gotta know, Luv. Will you please read me them letters?"

"Of course, if it's okay with you." He reached for the leather satchel and opened it. Inside were four letters. He took them out and looked at them and organized them in order. "I'll read you the first one."

Takes a goodly swallow from the wine cooler as she works at composing herself by taking a deep breath then nods to him. "I can do this."
Tera Destre
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Tera Destre »

"Okay, here is the first...", Gavilean said.

Des grabs a fistful of his shirt to hang onto.

"Most Dear and Precious Des,

Our first night out to sea is upon beautiful moonlit waters; yet I detest it, for every breeze, every crest of each new wave, every bow-induced wake that slowly dissolves away to erase all evidence of our silent passing - all these serve as tormenting reminders that I am moving further from you, from my heart's pure love.

It is surely eternal condemnation, the deserved results of countless sins, that I cannot be with you, for 'heaven' is where my Destre lives; and every cat and dog and little mouse, every unworthy thing that lives there in my Rhydin 'heaven' may look upon you; while I, Jean, your devoted husband, may not. Such is the unfairness of life.

I miss you, dear Des; yet, if this poor letter, if sent, would find you well, then I can take consolation in that, and I promise to return to you with all speed and singleness of mind.

Your Jean, who loves thee more than life.
Forever and always and two days"

He stopped and just held her. "He was very special, Des."

"Awww that is so sweet. He has such a way with words. I never could find the right ones but he always could." Tears started to fall again but these were happy ones brought about by the beauty of the letter.

"I'm sure your letters were just as sweet, Des."

"Not exactly. I'll let ya read them sometime if ya like Gav." She blushed.

He unfolded the next letter. "I'd like that Des. Would you like to hear the next one?"

"Yes please. I'm ready." She took hold of his shirt again.

He looked at it, smiled and began to read.

"My Darling Des, who teaches the very stars how to shine, It is your love that keeps my eyes awake, And thoughts of you ease my every care; I deny all sleep gladly for thy sake, To watch over you, my wife, so fair."

Gav smiled. "He was poetic."

"Once again the weather held for us, although clouds are beginning to gather in the west. They are no concern to me, for I am sure we shall be near Barrett's Bay by tomorrow's eve and we can harbor there if necessary.

We have seen a ship in the distance behind us. That does give us some concern, but it could simply be that they head to the same port as do we. The work aboard this ship is most difficult for we are under manned, and it is made more difficult by the heavy cargo. The Adventure Fortune was made for war and maneuvering, and not for hauling heavy trade.

We sit far lower in the water than we ever have before, and the ship is slower in the water and slower to respond. We are becoming used to it, but it does concern me. If nothing else, it will delay our arrival in St. Ives. I shall make sure we do not carry such weight again, for it is not safe. I pray you are well and happy, and most of all, safe from any harm. I am, my love, two days closer to seeing you again, and it is that moment that I live for.

Your adoring Jean,
Forever and always and two days"

Once again he stopped reading and just say there holding her and showing her the letter he had just read.

"He knew that day that it wasn't safe to travel like that. Dang nab it!" She glanced at the letter with a slight frown and motioned for him to pick up the next one as she snuggled up to his side and leaned lightly against him.

"Yes, he did. If not for the storm...." He stopped and picked up the next letter.
Tera Destre
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Tera Destre »

"Dearest Des, whom I love with all my being,

But voyage is being lengthened a little bit by a storm that has arrived in the evening hours. There is nothing to worry about for the Adventure Fortune is a strong ship and I have an experienced crew. They are all working hard. I miss you so much, and my thoughts are continually upon you. I wish now that I had not taken this job.

I'm sure there are other jobs I could have had, and even if the pay was small, I would have my greatest treasure in you and considered myself to be the wealthiest man alive. I'm always wondering what you are doing and how you are faring. I'm sure you are kept busy calling the duels in the Arena and Outback, and bartending and keeping the peace in the Inn.

Just be careful and watch that Harris character. Don't let him hurt you again or he will force me back into my pirate ways. Please also watch out for the Imp. I know he seems to like you, but I don't trust that little poofing garcon with the big ears. If he calls me a women when I return I shall strap him to one of these steel beams and give him a close up tour of the ocean floor.

It is hard for me to sleep without you in this bed, Des. I remember all our wonderful nights. I do have some of your clothes still in the closet, and I must confess that I often go to them to catch a bit of your fragrance.

Soon, my love. Soon we will be together.

I love you with all my heart,

Your 'forever and always and two days' Jean

Again he allowed Des to see the letter. "He was always worried about you."

She chuckled softly and smiled as she looked at the letter while tears again fell. "Imp and him didn't get along at all. They had this terrible fight one night when Imp and I were calling duels. That is a good memory that I will always have Gav."

He smiled and then laughed, "I can just picture it. Imp going wild and Jean shouting at him with that French accent."

"Jean pulled his flintlocks and was going to shot Imp right then and there!" Laughing and crying at the same time as she remembered it all very clearly in her mind.

He laughed and held her, not sure if he wanted to read the next letter to her, having already perused it. He decided that he should.

"I do adore that Imp. He is just precious." Smiling as she finally quit laughing and rubbed her face on his shoulder to get the tears off her cheeks then looked at the remaining letter. "Okay. Last one."

"My Precious Des,

It is your face that I see before me and that sustains me in this time of torment. I regret to inform you that the storm was much worse than we expected. I do not wish to worry you, but there is a possibility that without divine intervention we shall not make land.

Unfortunately, I have also sustained an injury and will need medical attention. I tell you this so that you will not be surprised at my condition when next we meet.

Please know this above all else. Should we not make it through this storm; my only regret in this life is to not be able to spend more time with you, my love. I am surely the luckiest man alive and I would not trade anything for the weeks we have had together.

Please, give Kali Kat a kiss for me. Tell Gav I say hello and that I appreciate his watching over you."

He stopped for a moment, sniffling back his own tears and wiping his eyes. "I'm sorry, there's more..."

"Don't worry about me, dear love. I'll be fine.

Your loving Jean who adores you."

He gathered up the letters and went to put them back into the leather satchel. "What's this? " He pulled out another letter. "There's one more, Des." He opened it up and looked at it....then began to read it very slowly.
Tera Destre
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Tera Destre »

"My Darling Wife,

It has been said that if what God gives us wasn't so very good, it wouldn't hurt so much when the time comes for it to be taken away."

She thought she would have ran out of tears but she hadn't yet and they were freely flowing as she managed a smile and nod to him. She put both arms around his waist as she listened to the unexpected fifth letter.

"He has given me the best in you, Des. It hurts me to write this, but I'll not see you again in this mortal life. I have been severely hurt when a yardarm fell upon me and even if the storm would subside this instant, I know my passing would still be quick."

She reached up and gently brushed the tears from Gav's face as he read for her.

He held Des tightly as she wiped away his tears which he cried unashamedly.

"You have made me so happy, Des, and I would not trade my life for that of any other man in all the universe. I am sorry that I cannot keep my promise to return in two weeks. Please forgive me for that.

Promise me that you'll not grieve long and will go on with your life and be happy. I had asked that Gavilean watch over you. I would not have you lonely, Des. If you grow to love him, I give my blessings on you both."

At this he couldn't help but weep. After several moments he recovered enough to continue. He was sniffling as he continued to read.

Des slowly shook her head and held tightly to Gav as she looked at the letter and silently read along with him.

"I have always said,... To cease to love and be lovable is a death unbearable; to cease to live is nothing."

"He is so right, Des....so right."

"He was very wise Gav. Very wise."

He nodded. "Yes...he was."

"I have known your love, Des, and therefore the death I face is nothing to me. Know that I shall die happy, with thoughts of you on my mind, and your name on my lips.

Time is short, I must end this now.

Forever..and always.and two days, Jean"

Des pointed to the one part of the letter. "And he even wrote to me in French." At this Des began to sob.

He stopped reading and just held Des tightly. "I couldn't pronounce that."

"It...... don't...... matter." This was between the sobs that had been threatening all day and finally had taken over.

He dropped the satchel and just held her, crying with her, trying his best to comfort her in the midst of his own sorrow. He didn't know Jean well, but he hurt for Des so deeply.

It did help having him there to hold her while she cried. She never would have been able to read those letters by herself. At least now she knew what had happened and how he had died. It was real now not a dream. Jean was gone and wouldn't be coming home after all.

She hadn't believed it when the man had told her. She didn't believe it until she saw her husband's writing and heard it in his own words. The tears would last until there were no more left to be shed but finally she had cried herself out on his shoulder and only sobs remained.

He knew that this night it would take magic to get her to sleep. "It's time we slept, darling. I will sing a song of magic to you and you will be at peace and sleep. Tomorrow I'll be with you all day....and the day after that, and after that....and always."

Murmurs softly to him. "You are on the taken list."

He went to get the blanket and returned. "As long as it's your taken list, I will be very happy." He smiled and covered them with the blanket.

"My list." She whispered as without hesitation or fear of the outcome she surrendered control of herself to his keeping.

He smiled, "Good. That's one list I want to always be on." The lights went out and he wrapped the blanket around them both as he held her close and kissed her eyes and then her lips. "Good night, my love." He then began to sing a song of sleep.

Return to “It's A Bartender's Life For Me”