My Dearest Cowgirl Bartender (letters to Des)

The Adventures of RDI Bartender and DoS/DoF Caller, Tera Destre La Fontaine.

Moderators: Tera Destre, Gavilean

Jean de La Fontaine
Adventurer
Adventurer

My Dearest Cowgirl Bartender (letters to Des)

Post by Jean de La Fontaine »

It was the first night out of Rhydin’s port and Jean de La Fontaine sat on the bed in his quarters; the bed that he and Des shared on so many nights, the bed where they had made love countless times. Several hanging oil lanterns provided light to the stateroom. He held a sheet of parchment in one hand and a quill in the other, and he began to write his first letter.

Most Dear and Precious Des,

Our first night out to sea is upon beautiful moonlit waters; yet I detest it, for every breeze, every crest of each new wave, every bow-induced wake that slowly dissolves away to erase all evidence of our silent passing – all these serve as tormenting reminders that I am moving further from you, from my heart’s pure love.

'Tis surely eternal condemnation, the deserved results of countless sins, that I cannot be with you, for 'heaven' is where my Destre lives; and every cat and dog and little mouse, every unworthy thing that lives there in my Rhydin 'heaven' may look upon you; while I, Jean, your devoted husband, may not. Such is the unfairness of life.

I miss you, dear Des; yet, if this poor letter, if sent, would find you well, then I can take consolation in that, and I promise to return to you with all speed and singleness of mind.

Your Jean, who loves thee more than life
Forever and always and two days

He folded the letter and put it into a water resistant leather pouch and tucked it into his shirt, keeping it close to his heart.
Jean de La Fontaine
Adventurer
Adventurer

[Jean was born twenty-five years ago at Château-Thierry in Champagne, France. He was the son of a poet by the same name who married into wealth in 1647. His parents separated in 1658 when his father went to Paris for write for Fouquet. Jean's father gained notoriety when he published the first book of his Contes, a collection of novelettes in verse, Boccaccianly risqué, but told with such disarming simplicity that soon half of France, even blushing maidens, read them. Under such influence provided by his father, Jean could hardly write anything that was not poetic, if not totally romantic. Thus, as the second day out of port drew to a late night close, he wrote:]

My Darling Des, who teaches the very stars how to shine,

It is your love that keeps my eyes awake,
And thoughts of you ease my every care;
I deny all sleep gladly for thy sake,
To watch over you, my wife, so fair.

Once again the weather held for us, although clouds are beginning to gather in the west. They are no concern to me, for I am sure we shall be near Barrett’s Bay by tomorrow’s eve and we can harbor there if necessary. We have seen a ship in the distance behind us. That does give us some concern, but it could simply be that they head to the same port as do we.

The work aboard this ship is most difficult for we are under manned, and it is made more difficult by the heavy cargo. The Adventure Fortune was made for war and maneuvering, and not for hauling heavy trade. We sit far lower in the water than we ever have before, and the ship is slower in the water and slower to respond. We are becoming used to it, but it does concern me. If nothing else, it will delay our arrival in St. Ives. I shall make sure we do not carry such weight again, for it is not safe.

I pray you are well and happy, and most of all, safe from any harm. I am, my love, two days closer to seeing you again, and it is that moment that I live for.

Your adoring Jean,
Forever and always and two days

This letter was placed into the leather pouch next to the previous one.
Jean de La Fontaine
Adventurer
Adventurer

Dearest Des, whom I love with all my being,

Out voyage is being lengthened a little bit by a storm that has arrived in the evening hours. There is nothing to worry about for the Adventure Fortune is a strong ship and I have an experienced crew. They are all working hard.

I miss you so much, and my thoughts are continually upon you. I wish now that I had not taken this job. I’m sure there are other jobs I could have had, and even if the pay was small, I would have my greatest treasure in you and considered myself to be the wealthiest man alive.

I’m always wondering what you are doing and how you are faring. I’m sure you are kept busy calling the duels in the Arena and Outback, and bartending and keeping the peace in the Inn. Just be careful and watch that Harris character. Don’t let him hurt you again or he will force me back into my pirate ways.

Please also watch out for the Imp. I know he seems to like you, but I don’t trust that little poofing garcon with the big ears. If he calls me a women when I return I shall strap him to one of these steel beams and give him a close up tour of the ocean floor.

It is hard for me to sleep without you in this bed, Des. I remember all our wonderful nights. I do have some of your clothes still in the closet, and I must confess that I often go to them to catch a bit of your fragrance.

Soon, my love….soon we will be together.

I love you with all my heart,

Your 'forever and always and two days' Jean
Jean de La Fontaine
Adventurer
Adventurer

My Precious Des,

It is your face that I see before me and that sustains me in this time of torment.

I regret to inform you that the storm was much worse than we expected. I do not wish to worry you, but there is a possibility that without divine intervention we shall not make land. Unfortunately, I have also sustained an injury and will need medical attention. I tell you this so that you will not be surprised at my condition when next we meet.

Please know this above all else. Should we not make it through this storm; my only regret in this life is to not be able to spend more time with you, my love. I am surely the luckiest man alive and I would not trade anything for the weeks we have had together.

Please…give Kali Kat a kiss for me. Tell Gav I say hello and that I appreciate his watching over you.

Don’t worry about me, dear love. I’ll be fine.

Your loving Jean who adores you.

Jean winced and set down the quill. He folded the letter with one hand and used his teeth to open the leather pouch with all the other letters. He slipped it inside and sealed it and put it inside his shirt.

His breathing was becoming more labored and painful; and he realized at that moment that he was not going to last to the end of this voyage.

Return to “It's A Bartender's Life For Me”