A Ship's Log

The Adventures of RDI Bartender and DoS/DoF Caller, Tera Destre La Fontaine.

Moderators: Tera Destre, Gavilean

Jean de La Fontaine
Adventurer
Adventurer

A Ship's Log

Post by Jean de La Fontaine »

Adventure Fortune Log – April 22

My ship is properly named, for fortune seems to be following me in ways I do not deserve. This week my dear wife, Des, and I moved into our new apartment. It is beautiful in its own right, but when my Des is there, it is the most lovely place in all the world. I no long think of France, for all my world exists where my Des is. There is no other place I want to be than by her side.

I have been concerned about the suitability of my continued piracy to support my family. Piracy is a good life for those who have nothing to lose and everything to gain, but now I have much to lose, and that loss would more than balance the gain. My vocation, though profitable, is illegal, and I cringe at the thought of being made to hang for my crimes and have Des watch my execution. To bring such pain upon her would be worse than death for me.

Furthermore, my crew is getting anxious for new adventure and wealth. They have spent most of their money and are looking to me for a new voyage and more profit.

This leaves me greatly conflicted. I must soon decide what I must do.
Jean de La Fontaine
Adventurer
Adventurer

Adventure Fortune Log – April 23, morning

Today I’ve had the most good news!

I went to see Mr. Berger of Berger Import and Export. I explained to him the virtues of the Adventure Fortune and how we might be of good assistance to him in his business. He immediately inspected my ship and upon his satisfaction, he commissioned me and my crew to fill the holds with lumber, steel, cloth and liquor and bring the cargo to St. Ives, a journey that normally is no more than five or six days.

We will unload the cargo and take on new cargo there and bring it back to Rhydin on our return trip. In two weeks I will be back home and have made a good profit – and it all be legal. Upon our speedy success, Mr. Berger promised two such trips a month. I will not wish to be away from Des for that amount of travel, so I will allow my first mate, Roger, to captain the ship on subsequent journeys.

I’ll remain here in Rhydin with Des and take care of the business side of this trade. I shall be a legitimate businessman and take good care of my wife.

I cannot wait to tell her.
Jean de La Fontaine
Adventurer
Adventurer

Adventure Fortune Log – April 23, evening

Early this afternoon I gave Des the good news.

My dearest wife was as excited as I am! She is so supportive of me, and I love her more than words can say. No man could ask for a more wonderful wife than she is. I do not deserve Des’, but I will spend every day of my life showing her how much I love her and how much I appreciate all that she does for me and for everyone else in this city.

After I had told her the good news we celebrated with wine coolers on the balcony, and then with lovemaking in our bedroom. I love the way she loves me. Is there anything about her that I do not love? I think not. She is brilliant in every way.

After we made love for several hours, we headed to the Inn to have a drink and talk. I mentioned to Icer and Aurthur the great news of my new commission. They were very happy for us.
Jean de La Fontaine
Adventurer
Adventurer

Adventure Fortune Log – April 30th , 2:15 a.m.

At 22:30 a storm arrived from the West. We had been watching it approach since late afternoon, trying to make it to Barrett’s Bay. But the ship, she is too heavy and the going is too slow. The situation is not good and we are all concerned.

The Adventure Fortune is too heavily laden and we are sitting too low in the water. We are taking on water and the men are doing their best to pump it out, but the cargo holds are so full that water is collecting everywhere and the wood and fabrics are becoming soaked, adding the water weight to their weight.

We can only hope that the storm ends soon.

My log entry is short for I must write my dear wife.
Jean de La Fontaine
Adventurer
Adventurer

Adventure Fortune Log – April 30th , 4:00 a.m.

The storm as not subsided as we hoped, but only intensified.

The wind has become much greater and we are getting gusts of 60 knots. I had to order all sails lowered except for the jibs.

We continue to take on too much water and I’ve ordered the men to start discarding our cannons into the sea. We need to lighten considerably.

I can see the concern in the eyes of all the men.

This is no ordinary storm.
Jean de La Fontaine
Adventurer
Adventurer

Adventure Fortune Log – April 30th , 5:30 a.m.

Shortly after my last entry, I heard a snapping sound and men screaming. I raced to the main deck and through sheets of driving rain and wind I saw that the barrels of water broken loose. Normally these are stored below deck, but with so much cargo in the holds, we had to strap them down on the quarterdeck.

Losses:
Two men were carried overboard with the barrels.
A lifeboat was destroyed.
Damage to the main and quarterdecks.

We were trying to clean up the mess in the midst of 50-foot swells and enormous gusts of wind when there was the sound of the loud crack of wood. The topsail yardarm from the mizzen mast had snapped off and fell. I pushed Roger out of the way but it hit me on the back.

Losses:
Jacque was killed.
Roger is okay.
I regret to report that my clavicle is broken and I have a rib puncturing my left lung. I am in extreme pain and can hardly breathe.

I have placed Roger in charge of the maintenance of the ship in this storm. If we can make it to Barrett’s Bay I suspect I can get medical attention and the ship repaired. The crew is currently eliminating all unnecessary weight from the ship.

Realistically, we are 50 kilometers from land and the ship is crippled and slowly sinking.

Only a miracle can save us.

I must write to my Des while I still have the strength.

Captain Jean de La Fontaine
Jean de La Fontaine
Adventurer
Adventurer

Adventure Fortune Log – April 30th , 6:40 a.m.

This will be the final entry in the logs of the Adventure Fortune.

Regretfully and in spite of all effort made on behalf of the crew, the Adventure Fortune will undoubtedly sink beneath the waves 40 km from the shores off Barrett’s Bay.

We had only three usable lifeboats and I’ve commanded the crew to dispatch the boats and abandon this ship. Two boats have already been lowered, and the third is waiting for Roger Swain and Charles Dukette who now stand before me and await the final order to abandon ship.

I would hereby like it known to all that the crew performed admirably and bravely. No crew could have done more. My regrets to Mr. Berger and his trade goods and those who insure him.

The ship is sinking bow first and within minutes it will descend to the cold depths of this ocean. She was a good and faithful ship.

I present this log book to Roger and pray that they are successful in staying alive and keeping it safe. My satchel of personal letters and effects I entrust to Charles.

As for myself, I am wounded too severely to attempt the lifeboat. I shall not risk the life of my men by adding to its weight. I will proudly remain with the ship, as is by tradition, the Captain’s duty.

In service,

Jean de La Fontaine, Captain, The Adventure Fortune

Jean’s hand shook with pain as he handed the log to Roger and his personal leather satchel to Charles.

“Go now….quickly,” he said through labored breath. “You know what you must each do.”

The men looked at each other and then back to Jean. “Are you sure, sir? Please, come with us.”

Jean’s eyes slowly opened. “Roger…this is…best. Save yourselves. Go. Please go.”

More important than anything else to Jean at this time was that Charles would survive to deliver the letters to Des, especially the last one that he had just written.

The two men left the small room off the quarterdeck as the stern of the ship was slowly but steadily rising out of the water. They got into the lifeboat and fought the waves, which unbeknownst to them had already claimed one of the three lifeboats for the sea.

Return to “It's A Bartender's Life For Me”