Kurgen Keep

Twins with a shadowed past make their way in a world where they've never felt welcome by any save those who taught them what they know.

Moderators: Sylus Kurgen, Artemus Kurgen

Artemus Kurgen
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Artemus Kurgen »

My heart felt lighter as I left the grove where Mielikki had embraced me and helped he shed my grief. Her regal demeanor and way of making even the strongest willed person feel weak and intellecutally inferior had initially urked him, but through his years of service he had come to think of it as her most endearing quality.

He was back into the welcoming fold of her many children...back to the place he where he had belonged the whole time..even in his travels and many pointless battle he felt a piece of himself missing...a small part of that returned when he was with Chey. That was probably what had made her so special to him.....her way of viewing things was similar to what Mielikki taught. The memory of the the goddess' coming to him would always be in his memory to his dying day.

"The time of your grieving has ended young Artemus...the time for you to take up your duties has come again." Her tone had been gentle as she touched the side of his face, stroking gently and letting the last of his tears fall. "You must reclaim your position as the best of my chosen....my elite." The gentleness in her voice was still there but filled with a crisp business-like undertone. Apparently she had grown impatient with his melancholly reclusiveness from the world and her teachings.

"This is what you must do....return to Rhydin and help young Alia Anor." His shock must have shown in his features for she looked at him sternly "NO arguing......she has a dark future awaiting her...and it is apparent that there is nothing to stop it. What you must to is be a friend to her..help her meet her destiny as pure as she can possibly be..."

He looked at her as if she had grown another head "She has a dark future....and I'm supposed to get her moving towards it?......am I not supposed to be against such things?.....isn't my job as one of your chosen to stop darkness like is rumored to infest the Temple of Divine Light?"

She rolled her eyes slighly but Artemus knew that she had tried not to.."You are the best of my children because you question...but that same reluctance and questioning makes you the most troublesome....." Her musical lilting voice had an exasperated undertone "Just do as I ask you......there is much to be done and little time...."Her gentle smile came to her face and made her features glow. Leaned forward slightly she kissed his forehead as he faded in a shimmering swirl of butterflies and light. "Go young Artemus......time is precious...." Tears rimming his eyes, Artemus Kurgen headed for Rhydin with a new purpose...a new path to wander.....Artemus Allon Kurgen.....High Priest of the goddess Mielikki, the goddess of forrests and nature itself...was back...and he had work to do...
Artemus Allonan Kurgen
Headmaster of Arcanum Academy
Proprietor of Dark Wolf and Leopard Jewelers.
Mystic
Adventurer
Adventurer

High Priest

Post by Mystic »

Darkness

Pain

Fear

I couldn't see anything, and it felt like someone had place a couple of lead blankets over me. I was being squished and I was afraid. Taking a few deep breaths I got up. Clumsily I made my way through the foliage, I had no idea where I was or where I was going. Then I felt it. Something brushed against my leg. It was a wolf, I don't know how I knew I just did. Her name was Siria. I ran my hand over her silk fur...it was comforting. I trusted her and she lead me cautiously.

The wolf beside me sat down and so I followed. It left me but I knew I was to stay. Waiting patiently for what seemed like ages, I could finally start to see. When I regained all of my eyesight I saw him. Standing at the edge of the pond there was a man who seemed to be in his early twenties, his blonde hair was cut short, he wore some black robes. I approached cautiously.

I was still disoriented and it only took one step before I made noise. He noticed me right away and I panicked. It took me a few moment but I recognized him as someone important. The High Priests from where I lived dressed just like that. Not knowing what to do next I bowed then muttered a simple evacuation spell. Who knows where I'd end up next.

((Cross-posted in Silence))
~Mystic Suleir~
Ward of Xenograg
Artemus Kurgen
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Artemus Kurgen »

The visions being played out in the pond kept his attention until the wolf Siria came out of the deep foliage of the surrounding forrest and told me of a visitor. Pretending to look at the pond which had all ready gone placid and dark with the magic cast away I waited for the lost one to come to me. It did not take long.

Hearing the person come into the clearing I turned and regarded this being, letting my power slip over the clearing, it's gentle warmth and harmony putting everything at ease. The person was gone as quickly as soon as I saw him.

"Well that's a little rude isn't it? " I shrugged and went back to watching the pond.
Artemus Allonan Kurgen
Sylus Kurgen
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Sylus Kurgen »

Around the ancient and venerable Keep this day was a thick fog of smoke and ash. Smoke stacks had been erected around the perimeter, something was being constructed underneath of the great tower. Deep under ground the old and unused forge had been started, tons of white hot iron ore sat smoldering on a dozen stations, waiting to be tempered.

Where most would expect to find an army of dwarves hard at work in their life's pursuit was only a single solitary figure pouding away at a large piece of molten metal. A large hammer in his hand slamming down on the metal creating a shower of sparks, face covered in soot and smoke, lungs hot from laborous work the continued to shape the pice before him. Shifting slightly he made the metal begin to curve. His once slender arms were now the size of wooden logs. The pile of curved mistakes that lay behind him reflected the sweat covered and matted black hair.

He had lost his two prized swords on his last adventure and with no chance of getting them back he was forced to reforge the weapons of his preference. The histories and the ghosts of the old forge had him now, guiding his movements, as he worked diligently without stop at his newest craft.

Setting the current piece off to the side to cool slightly, he took a clean cloth and wiped his cafe. Deep amber eyes that once held the light of life were now cold and serious. He HAD to have his weapons back...and have them he would.

Returning to the station Sylus continued his work..it would nt be many days before he was finished, and a new pair of mighty scimitars were forged.
~Wanderer of Redemption's Road~
Sylus Kurgen
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Sylus Kurgen »

Darkness....

Fire.........

Devotion.........

These are the elements used in forging weapons. For weeks I have toiled here in the bowels of kurgen Keep. Forging new weapons for myself. The spirits of my ancestors, ever vigilant, were felt all around me as I worked at these ancient forges. The only light to be seen were the red-hot coals and the white-hot iron and steele before me.

Sweat and grime smeared my face, arms and torso. Raven black hair clung to my face and back in rivlets. Sparks scathed the skin of my forearms and chest as I worked dilegently. I could feel the muscles in my upper body grow as I continued my task. After countless hours and sleepless days...they were finished. All that I needed to do now...was test them.

After taking a long deserved shower, I dressed in simple training leathers, tied my now waist-length hair back in a thick braid, and took my newly forged scimitars to the dojo on the nineth floor.

I had done remarkable well with these. Starting out in a mantra designed to work on balance I noticed immediately how light the mythril blades felt in my hands. Unlike my last set of scimitars, these were not elegant in appearance. No golden filigree, no elven characters to represent skill, honor or some other such sentiment, these were designed for use and reliability. They did have both defensive and offensive runes however. Thanks to Mur's tutelage I was now stronger in how I could manipulate the aether. The runes in these blades held similar power to Valerios, my broadsword...except where Valerios could control elements...these could extinguish them.

Summoning a wall of ice I lunged forward with my right blade ,which flared to life, as a sheet of green fire wrapped about the folded metal slicing through the ice like it was hot butter. Pivoting with my left foot, I swung the left blade and angled my attack to the spot that I had just attacked. Cold wind blew forth from the blade repairing the damage. One made with fire...one with the property of ice....both equal in power....both designed to protect those that I care about.

Changing out of my training leathers I put on a simple black shirt, a pair of jeans, steele-toe boots, and went to I'Taurn in search of Alais. I was back now and stronger, physically at least, than before.
Sylus Kurgen
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Sylus Kurgen »

Alais had finalized the plans for building a new place to keep the books she had guarded fro most of her life. Leaving I'Taurn I went home and thought over the things she had told me. Home......Alais wants me to view I'Taurn as my home but yet.....My heart is rooted firmly in Kurgen Keep. I care for her withall of my heart but still...I have called the Keep my home for most of my life.

Putting on my swordbelt I decided to clear my head with a night of dueling. As I entered the room Lais was fighting wiht Cory. Not wanting to disturb her I took up Anne's challenge for a duel. That duel became my third loss since reaching the rank of Master at Arms and I believe I am now back to a swordsman. How quickly things can change.

Sighing heavily I went to the sofa at the back of the room and watched the rest of Lais's duel. She won and walked over to me, the rest of that night went quickly as we talked and enjoyed our reunion but soon it was time to go home...Her home....It was at this point I showed her the new spell I devised...the Shadow Visage....
Artemus Kurgen
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Artemus Kurgen »

He could hardly contain his laughter as he listened to Alais and Rhaine discuss the spell he had put in Sylus's hair when he asked him to braid his waist-length hair. Everything was going according to plan.

They discussed why he might have put the tracking spell on Sylus, discussed what he might be after, and they discussed his motives. How easily they jumped to the conclusion that he was after Alais's books of power. What did he need of spells like that? He had no need of such power at all.

Artemus had an eye on something else entirely. It was a book that Sylus had talked of, a book about the Plane of Shadow. It was this book, and this book alone, that he was after. There were beings on that plane of existence that could be useful to him. Mainly the Girrash. Humanoid creatures with feline attributes and appearances. He could get them to possibly join him, ally themselves with him. If only he could get his hands on that book. Time was on his side for now, but how much longer remained to be seen. For now all he could do was wait, wait for them to slip up. Wait for his own Waterloo.
Artemus Allonan Kurgen
Artemus Kurgen
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Artemus Kurgen »

The sun was just beggining to set when he appeared in front of I'Taurn near a tall oak tree, a spyglass in his hands. Humming to himself he lifted the item to his eye and watched to see if the guards were still on high alert. Everything within the place seemed to have settled down...but looks could be deceiving.

It was as he moved along the treeline that he felt the first brush of undead essence...a familiar one at that. For now he ignored it. If the spirit wished to talk with him it could show itself.

Putting the spyglass back into an inner pocked of his cloak, Artemus looked at the forest around him. He could sense all of the life within it. Ever since he had been tainted by Shahai's blade, his animal half had been restless. Something about the taint had strengthened its natural willpower. "I must get that book...or else....." He let the thought hang there in the ensuing silence.

As if listening to him, his beast roared to life sending him to his knees in the hidden copse he had found. Face twisting in agony and profound rage, he thrashed about on the uneven ground, his body spasming in pain, back bowing him almost in halfe, as man and beast fought over his body.

His bones started to break and pop, his form changing. His cold gray eyes bled to the deep green of his feline self, the great cat within him. His teeth grew into fangs, hands becoming claws. With an inhuman voice he roared at the top of his lungs, the human spirit within him fighting it's way to the surface, struggling for control.

The inner fight of the two souls within him continued for many moments, his body shifting back and forth from man to leopard-kin. Gasping for breath, Artemus laid there in the grass for many minutes, his human form having won the struggle.....for now.

He slowly got to his knees, wobbling badly, swaying back and forth. " I'll make you pay, Shahai...even if it's the last thing I do. First I need to get that book from inside I'Taurn"

Lost in his own thoughts, Artemus gazed upon I'Taurn long into the night.

(( Cross-posted in Quiet Return))
Artemus Allonan Kurgen
Sylus Kurgen
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Sylus Kurgen »

He moved through his former home easily. The halls seemed cleaner than he remembered them ever being. It did not take him long to make it to the eighth floor...his old floor.

Striding through the hallway he entered his office and headed for the desk by the far wall.

Sitting down he penned a missive to General Xenograg.

"Dear Xeno,

I am sorry if this catches you by suprise but I am very concerned about Alais. She has gone to Riverbend alone to investigate a strange voice that speaks to her there. Is there someplace we can meet and discuss a course of action to this? I am at an impass in trying to find Riverbend, I feel she goes there not only to investigate teh voice but to escape the emotions of this world. Can you meet me at the duels tonight....I need assistance, and you were there when Alais went to Riverbend the first time. ~Sylus"

With a few chanted words the missive disolved in thin air to seek out Xeno.
Artemus Kurgen
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Artemus Kurgen »

He was quite pleased with how Cadence had performed her jobs thus far. The staff seamed to accept her without question, which had been his biggest fear. Her efficiency was commendable as well and it appeared that he had chosen well in appointing her as the new caretaker of Kurgen Keep.

Humming softly to himself, he moved through the halls of the Keep pleased with how his plans seemed to be coming together. " If I could only get my hands on that book...." he muttered angrily and in the process making a staff member who was passing by give him a fearful look before the man sprinted away. Looking through the window of the office he saw Cadence sitting behind the desk going through the newest set of revenue reports. The next shipment of mythril was due to arrive in a matter of days and he still had to print up the inventory list for Cadence to go over. "Since hiring her, I seem to have more work than before." He chided himself jokingly. " Work...oh! that reminds me" Smiling briefly he tapped on the window of the office and waved at Cadence when she looked up and walked away, not wanting to bother her for too long. Moving up the stairs he headed for his 6th floor appartments.

Drifting down the hall he came to his own office and unlocked the door. The interior was simple, nothing fancy or decorative. This room was meant to get work done. There were three file cabinets along the wall which were locked and sealed heavily with magical wards. An oak desk sat before the large bay window, every item on it was meticulously placed so that there was plenty of space on it. Easing onto his highbacked leather chair, he opened a drawer containing stationary and envelopes. Setting the stationary on the desk he penned a missive to Anne.
~ Hey,
It's Artemus, I was wondering if you were going to be in the Annex tonight? I'm open to go sailing for the next two weeks or so and need to talk to you about hiring a ship, unless you do not all ready have one that is? I visited Vinny as well, just to let you know, and he seems to be in better spirits than I have seen him in, in a long time. Well get back to me as soon as you can.
~

::at the bottom of the letter was a return P.O. Box ::
Artemus Allonan Kurgen
Artemus Kurgen
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Artemus Kurgen »

He rose early and gazed out thw window of his room for a long period of time. Contemplating.....

Asako said that her minions had infiltrated his Keep, this angered him greatly and he knew now what it was he must do. He would be gone for several weeks, it would be enough time to pull of something to shake that woman's confidence. Then it struck him..." I'll dismantle the Keep......" Grinning wickedly he threw a few weeks worth of clothes into a large black bag and sprinted down the stairs. None of his staff lived at Kurgen Keep and Cadence had been kidknapped.

Stepping outside he moved several yards away from the Keep and looked up at it. " It is time to return you to the dust of oblivion that made you...." With a heavy sigh, Artemus Allon Kurgen released the binding that kept his ancestrial home locked in place to this plane of existence. Returning it, stone by stone, to the astral plane. The "Others" that had watched over it until he reclaimed it rushed back to their ancient duty. Not a soul could enter the Keep now...and hope to live. The Blood Speakers would find their demise here, now, if they tried to find and enter the Keep.

And the heaven's help any mortal being that tried to enter, their soul would not remain in their body londer than the second it takes them to walk through the door. With yet another regretful sigh he sent a mental message to Sylus...telling him what has transpired and why he had done so.
Artemus Allonan Kurgen
Asako Kinuye
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Asako Kinuye »

Kinuye sat behind her desk, her posture painfully perfect as her hands were hidden within the folds of her kimono's sleeve. Her silver gaze was clouded over as she watched through the young Kurgen's eyes, felt his emotions and heard this thoughts. Her body was as still as a statue's as she watched through his eyes, as Kurgen Keep returned to the ground that it had been built from. Kinuye's lips formed a smirk, within her own study.

Not far from her, hidden well within the shadows was Ogamo-san who had come to pay her a visit, but knew full well when she was in a state such as this, one would meet certain death if they were to interrupt her. Her voice was dull, quite effortless as she continued to watch the scene unfold before her. "So he believes that simply dismantling the Keep will keep me from him, how humurous this poses to be. I see that the young Kurgen has learned nothing from my discussion with him. Perhaps I shall have to pay him another visit, a visit more attune to make him understand who I really am and what I am capable of. I would have thought him more inept than that which I see now."

Kinuye had seen enough as she closed her eyes and let her head fall down to her chest for a few moments. Soft whistling was emitted from between Kinuye's lips as she raised her head once again, her silver gaze fixed on Ogamo-san as she inclined her head towards him. "Forgive me Ogamo-san, that took longer than I had expected. I did not wish to keep you waiting, as I know you are a busy man." All that was offered in answer from the man was a curt nod of his head.

Kinuye removed from a drawer in her desk, a scroll that was fixated with her house mark and handed the scroll towards the man whom quickly removed a thick, magically binded cloth with which he carefully wrapped the scroll within and retreated from Kinuye's dwelling place.

Kinuye leaned back a moment in the chair, fingertips poised together as she looked out her window to the small garden outside her home. Deep within thought as she devised a plan to stir the blood of the young Kurgen once again, to remind him that a part of him would always be hers...be theirs. So young and inept was he to these things. She had been with him from the moment that his flesh touched upon the dagger, and he was bonded to her for the span of his life, and even in his afterlife. She had thought she had made that clear to him the other night within the walls of the Arena, but evidently as again she replayed the vision before her, he did not as he had dismantled the Keep, yet her bond to him was still there. Everything that had happened to the young Kurgen since that day she had been privy too, and even things well before when he was alone and in thought. There was no secret when it came to the Kurgens, for though the bond was only with one, their bond was strong enough to allow Kinuye that which she needed to know. There was little that the woman did not know, but what she did know was that the young Kurgen was on a mission to retrieve something very precious to his survival right now, and perhaps that is where she would start...

She let the name roll off of her tongue a few times as she finished out the plan within her mind..."I'Taurn."

Kinuye's laugh was the epitomy of angelic, to those who would not know her, as was her appearance. There was nothing evident to anyone's eye that she was indeed, Blood Mage or as they had been commonly deemed, Bloodspeakers. To any normal person she would merely seem as a young woman with curiousity to boot. She turned in her chair once again and moved swiftly through her home to retrieve a few things before her inspection of I' Taurn's defenses began...

((Cross-posted in Petals of Death and Quiet Return))
Artemus Kurgen
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Artemus Kurgen »

The wind blew through the empty valley where Kurgen Keep once stood, life was leaving the valley, turning it into a barren and lifeless wasteland. Deep underground, something began to stir, soething was awakening. A dark roar resounded from within the earth. An ancient creature, long asleep, was once again awakening.

(( This is just an OOC reminder that buildings and NPC's are the property of the player that created them, if you wish for a char to be able t enter or interact with them you need to get permission from the player they belong to.))
Artemus Allonan Kurgen
Sylus Kurgen
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Sylus Kurgen »

"The things my mortality forces me to withstand.....' ::With a heavy sigh I walked through the now dead and lifeless valley where my home had once stood. So much life had been sustained by the magic that protected Kurgen Keel had now been dwindled away. Kneeling down I took a handful of dirt and lifted it, dry and crumbling, I let the particles slip through my fingers. My heart was heavy as my dark eyes looked over the still and peacefully barren landscape. "How does one go about returning to the world of the living...that which no longer exists on this plane of existance?" A quandery is what I now face, a riddle whose answers I could not hope to begin to discover. Not now...maybe not ever "...but still I will try."

My mind raced over the courses that I could take in order to bring my families home and my own peace of mind. " I cannot ask this of Alais....she is wrapped in her own world of trouble, guilt, and problems. Yet I know she will try to help...no matter my protests" Perhaps this is a train of thought I had best keep to myself. I can trust her to set her issues aside and drag me out of my current mood..but she will refuseto let me to do the same for her. It's almost hypocritical as I see it. "She will help others with their own problems yet wishes to be left to fight her battles alone. How this makes me hate her...and love her all more."

I walked around the valley that entire morning and long into the night before I made my decision to see if the arena had drawn any vestiges of life to it.
Artemus Kurgen
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Artemus Kurgen »

I sat upon a low hill and watched Sylus for hours, listening to his spoken thoughts and his inner turmoil. Oh how he knew his brother so well. Drifting in his own thoughts he watched Sy leave for the arena's and moved to stand at the base of where Kurgen Keep once stood. "His problem is mine as well...I cast you from this world...it must be I that bring you back.." With a sorrowed sigh hesat down and began to consult his spell books as he summoned them to him one by one.
Artemus Allonan Kurgen

Return to “Kurgen Keep”