Journey from Home

Twins with a shadowed past make their way in a world where they've never felt welcome by any save those who taught them what they know.

Moderators: Sylus Kurgen, Artemus Kurgen

Sylus Kurgen
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Journey from Home

Post by Sylus Kurgen »

He had been walking for days; he knew he shouldn’t, since he didn’t quite know where he was. No choice though, but to go on, as he had been commanded by his lord. What he was commanded to do though, still did not make any sense.
‘Travel with the westward sun for thirty rotations. On the thirtieth rotation, you will be shown the next path. Once on the path never leave it, no matter what you see or hear, stay on the path. There are those that would wish you nothing but failure. You must no…..’ That is when his lord died and he, the last knight of the Broken Shield, Sylus Kurgen, began his journey. Where he was now he had only a vague recollection; some where in the northern Andhuin Mountains, above Kelvar pass, he assumed, by judging the flora and the fauna.
Everyone knew it was poison that killed Lord Anglemar, but no one could figure out who did it. Many of the vassals and courtiers had their suspicions on who could have killed Anglemar. Sylus knew the truth though, only one man had intimate access to Lord Anglemar. That man was Varad Rovensheaf, Anglemars’ own brother.

After Anglemar Rovensheafs’ death, the city of Kavar became besieged by multitudes of storms. Just as one appeared to let up another came and renewed the previous storms fury. For months upon end the storms raged with no sign of letting up. Many peasants and drunks began spreading rumors that the gods were angry with them. While others claimed the land mourned the death of Lord Anglemar, and would not relent in it’s grief till another lord was appointed. There was no hope for this, as hard as any might wish. Anglemar had left no will, no heir, and no clue as to who he wished to succeed him if some tragedy befell. So for weeks uncounted rain fell in waves all over Kavar, and the lords’ death was still a mystery. Many believed they knew who had slain Anglemar, but as always still had yet to find any evidence. So the rain continued to fall.

The hallway to the throne room was dark as it always seemed. This was the way Varad liked it; dark and secretive. He swiftly made his way down the hall, only to find the large double doors locked. “Figures.” he muttered to himself. “But no matter” A trivial lock such as this was nothing to a man of his abilities. With a mere wave of his hand and a single word they were open before him. Closing the doors behind him as he entered; he strode across the throne room, confident that there that were no guards set to watch for intruders. He stopped a few feet away from the raised dais upon which the throne sat. Reaching into his cloak, he produced a small rod, no longer than a man’s hand. Raising the rod above his head he started to chant a spell that was old when the world was young.
As he continued to chant, silver runes began to appear on the rod. The more he chanted the brighter the runes became. Continuing to chant, he reached into a pouch at his belt. Inside the pouch he could feel the powder that would strengthen and seal the magic of his enchantment. Removing his hand from the pouch with a handful of the mysterious powder in tow; Varad threw the dust onto the dais.
Raising his hand to put both upon the rod, he began to chant faster making its runes flash and glow like silver fire. Faster and faster he chanted without slowing. Increasing the tempo, feeling the magic build inside him; and flow up his arms into the rod. He let the power build till it felt like he would be consumed. By now the runes glowed so bright the entire room was bathed in silver light; with the runes only getting brighter. He was beginning to sweat now, his arms and knees becoming weak with the strain his concentration was exacting. Still the power built, making the rod feel like it would melt in his hands. He could not stop though, still more power was needed.
By now he was down on one knee, no longer able to stand. Still the magic continued to build. The light that bathed the room was now brighter than the sun, forcing him to close his eyes. He knew the light would only get brighter. As the power built he felt himself begin to lose consciousness.
The spell must be finished quickly he knew, otherwise the magic would go awry destroying him and those in the castle. Chanting faster than he had ever done before; Varad put every last vestige of strength and power he could muster into the final line of the spell. The room was now so bright that even with his eyes closed all he could see is silver. With the final word of the incantation a beam of pure light shot forth from the end of the rod striking the dais. The runes that once shown on the rod were now all across the throne and dais; flashing in an ominous cadence.
“Finished” Varad breathed. “There Kurgen, I’ve bought you the time you’ll need to finish your charge.” Returning to the entrance way, he locked the ancient doors.
Casting another minor spell with the strength he had left. All traces of his ever being there vanished, along with him in a haze of smoke and deepening shadows. Hoping all the while that his plan would be enough to protect the city until Sylus returned.

The wind was like a banshee, constantly wailing through the night. Trees were bent over double with the force of her coming. Great oaks ripped asunder as if they were mere saplings. Still she wailed, never knowing peace. So it seemed to Sylus, as he gazed out into the storm from his sheltering cave.
Moving closer to the dwindling fire, he went back to eating his meager supper of dried meat and week old bread. He had to ration now, his once full journey pack becoming noticeably lighter. He knew it would not be long before he was forced to forage. Looking out into the torrents of rain and listening to the rolling thunder, Sylus couldn’t help but become lost in thoughts of home.
In his mind he could picture his homeland as if he had been transported there on unseen wings. Before him were the rolling hills of the Grissen, with the dozens of sheep herds out grazing. The scent of blossoms in bloom dancing in the air about him as he looked upon the sprawling hamlet of his childhood: Wendh Ruune. To the east he could see the wide churning rapids of the Strengl River. Stretching for miles beyond sight where it connected with the Meridiohn in the south. He could see the great serpent of a rivers origin in the north where it started at the base of the Reil Mountains. He could almost smell dried beef being wafting up to him on the wind from the market in the village. He could hear his mother calling for him to go help his father in the Grissen. Sylus vividly remembered all the adventures he and his childhood friends had while searching the Reil Mountains for monsters and treasure.
The maelstrom raging outside made him remember the last adventure they had together, and the scars it had left in him. There had been a storm like this one, if not greater in ferocity, and with thoughts of home rolling through his mind he let sleep claim him.
Upon waking, the morning fog revealed a foreign landscape to Sy. Hoisting his pack higher on his shoulder, he couldn’t help but be in awe of natures’ furry. How easily the wind had ripped fifty year old trees out of the ground as if they were pebbles. Moving cautiously now across the ruined hillside. He made his way around some trees that had been felled the previous night, all the while keeping the sun at his back. Stepping over one of the branches, he instantly heard a rattling sound coming from under it. Moving purely on instinct he jumped back moving his foot to the side. In the next instant he saw the serpent strike just narrowly missing his calf. Wasting no time at all he leaped back over the log leaving the snake no time to turn and strike at him again. Placing his boot just behind its head, keeping it pinned in so it could do nothing but hiss, he pulled his dirk from its sheath whilst bending down. He ended its torment in one clean swipe.

[Never run from a problem, stand and face it with everythign that you are.]
Last edited by Sylus Kurgen on Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sylus Kurgen
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Sylus Kurgen »

On the thirtieth rotation of the westward sun, he came upon the land of Rhydin.

Moving cautiously he went to several inns, looking for a place to stay. As night fell, he found himself on the doorstep of the Red Dragon Inn. The tender on duty was a Miss Colleen. Taking a seat at the bar he approached her with a few questions... things that any foreigner would be interested in. Commerce, stores, historical landmarks, and other things most of the locals might take for granted. It was in this set of questions that he learned of the underground arena beneath the Inn..The Duel of Swords.

Over the next few weeks Sylus ventured down the rickety stairs and watched the other duelists, learning the rules, marking the techniques of certain swordsmen and women. As he had not seen any new paths to take in his quest yet, he decided to try his hand at the duels.

He lost his first few duels as all newcomers tend to do, he even found a tutor of sorts in the Baroness Topaz. After many days of trial and error, learning to adapt his style to his opponents and incorporate the new style inot something more that the two skills that comprised it.

Over the next several weeks he sent numerous letters home, telling his superiors of the current situation in his mission. Each time they would reply...
"All you can do now is wait, if Anglemar believed you would be shown the next path, then you will"
......Such blind belief had never been his way, but if waiting is what he must do for now, so be it.
........He is still waiting........
Sylus Kurgen
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Sylus Kurgen »

Sylus Adair Kurgen, the assasin without equal has been in Rhydin for well over six months now. His resolve that the next path he should take is beginning to dwindle and fade. Yet still he keeps hope that his quest will find it's end.

In his long years of isolation he has never known what it meant to care about another. To have that need to be with a singular person at all times. He always thought such feelings were a weakness, something for ones enemies to exploit. Yet for all of his caution and wariness about letting another into his heart.....it has happened. He has found beings he could possibly call friends....family....

He is beginning to see those he meets as not just pawns to be maneuvered, tools to be used, but as individuals with minds and emotions. His resolve to carry on his duty to his lord is breaking like a wave apon the rocks.

All because of an elven female named Alais d' Arhma Graham Nitesong Sidhe.

Now a hatefilled spirit that was once this same elven females most trusted confidante is trying to force Sylus to leave Rhydin. To ignore his heart, his sense of right, his code of honour now would be cowardly and weak.

Sylus Kurgen may be many things but a coward and a weak man are things he is not and never will be.
"For my Duty to my lord and the Duty I pledge to my heart, I CANNOT leave now. I will see Legendazona put to her eternal rest and Vanion Shadocast sent to his grave.....Even if it kills me."

"....They must be stopped....No matter the cost...."

Taking up a quill and several sheets of parchment, he began to pen a letter to his homeland...telling them of his current situation...and of the events unfolding within Rhydin.

This letter was then followed by a missive to Queen Teleperiene requesting the return of an item he gave her long ago.....he would need its' power if he hoped to survive and see his newest enemies to their rightful place in the abyss of oblivion.
~Wanderer of Redemption's Road~

Post by Guest »

The weeks have passed with multiply events that put my heart, mind , and sould through one test after another. Despite my best efforts Alia Anor has joined the Temple of Divine Light. The hatred she has for her mother is almost unthinkable. How she could have harboured such feelings in her heart is beyind me.

I have not seen Legendazona in several weeks and hope that she has finally found peace and is no longer a problem of debate between Alais and myself. For that matter, Vanion has been missing as well. I cannot say that I miss him but one likes to keep one's enemies in sight.

The visit I had from Ulysses has left me doubting myself. Ever since I was young, the only people who have approved of me were my superiors. My lords, masters, and instructors, those that found a use for my skills. I am unsure of how to proceed in this unknown arena for myself.
Sylus Kurgen
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Sylus Kurgen »

The large broadsword sang as it moved in a blur at the well honed movements fom his hands. Pivoting off of his back foor, he swung the blade in a dazzling arc but stopped dead in his tracks and pivoted in the opposit direction castig the blade into a perfectly executed parry. Spinning the blade around behind him, Sylus did a no-hands cartwheel. As he landed, Valerios was ready and inplace within his hands, the blade's song resounding beautifully within the training room. Sy had found himself training more and more with the ancient blade. Ever since he had talked with Ulysses and was told the he was approved of. That he had potential....Potential what? was what he kept asking himself as he went through the training motions that kept his skill sharp.

A light sheen of sweat glistened on his forehead, chest, and shoulders as he walked back to his room on the eighth floor of Kurgen Keep. Valerios was safely sheathed at his back, and a small smile was on his face. Stopping by an outter window, Sylus saw his brother pulling a sled off into the woods.
"What games do cat's play while the dog appears to be away?" He asked himself as he watched Artemus fade from sight.

Replacing Valerios on it's stand in his room, Sylus moved down the steps to the front door and followed Artemus. Keeping behind his brother by several yards, he kept his eyes on where he was walking. Making sure not to step on any dead branches, Sylus found himself in a small clearing, with Art standing over an ogre's corpse. Knowing what had happened he sighed mournfully, and with a heavy sigh, returned to the keep.

He was just about to release the wards that protected the Keep from intruders when a rider approached. The rider wore simple chainmail under a forrest green surcoat. It was the emblem on the lads' surcoat that gave Sylus a moment to pause, for he knew it well. The sigyl was that of a blue bull wearing a crown of orchids with a red background. The emblem belonged to Varad Rovensheaf. Keeping his face steady he watched the rider come closer and riegn it's painted roan to a stop.
"Are you Sylus Adair Kurgen?" The lad asked in a droll monotone voice, his face was completely devoid of any kind of emotion.

Keeping my tone calm and casual "Who wishes to know?" my hand rested comfortably on my hip at the spot where my sword usually was.

"I have a message for you from the Council of the Seven Stars" the messenger stated as he reached very slowly into a sachel at his side. When his hand emerged it held a scroll with another sigyl on it. The emblem of my order.....The Broken Shield. " Sylus Adair Kurgen, you are hereby ordered to return to your order's mother house in the city of Kelvar. A new lord is being chosen, with the councils decision, at the behest of Lord Varad. Your pressence is requested at these viewings and interviews of a new lord. With the failure to complete your quest, the Council will decide if you are still fit to wear the mantle of Chief Asassin." A slight smirk slipped onto the messengers face as he handed me the scroll in his hand. "Should you fail to comply, the measures that will be taken are outlined in this document. You have three weeks to return."

His duty completed the messenger set off at a gallop. Undoing the wards to the Keep I opened the document and headed towards the eighth floor appartments.
~Wanderer of Redemption's Road~

Return to “Kurgen Keep”