Family Matters.

Stories of the those from House Dragoon Talanador, the Company of the Dragon and the Tavern itself.

Moderator: G

G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Location: Generally found at the Golden Ivy Tavern. If not there, then on the SpellJammer, his ship.

Family Matters.

Post by G »

Down the hall she walked. Her flats squeaking softly in the muffled silence of Talanador Tower. She was normally calm, cool and in complete control, almost apathetic and unworried about anything. This time, Mai was wringing her hands nervously. Not so much because she was worried about herself, but she did have a heart and delivering news of this kind was decidedly unfavorable.

She approached the door to G's office and paused. She knew he was sitting on the other side behind his desk, applying himself to one of his schemes, usually underhanded. Mai knew G'nort well and had a good idea how he would react, or rather not react. That wasn't the problem. She knew someone would pay and it wouldn't be pleasant.

With a sigh. She knocked on the door. Normally she would just walk in as she never needed permission, being his super adminastrative assistant. It just seemed appropriate this time.

"Come."

She took a deep breath and turned the brass handle on the door, pushing it open and stepping inside. She quietly approached the desk and stood there, folding her hands in front of her at waist level. She had a sympathetic expression as she watched him signing some forms.

"Hello Mai, what is it?" He said, without looking up from his work.

Silence. Deafening silence that just gave the impression something was wrong.

G looked up this time, he felt it too. He saw her expression and put down his pen, brow furrowing.

"Mai. What is it." Spoken in a deeper, gravelly tone, sensing something deep and personal was the problem.

"Sir. It's your son. He.." She takes a deep breath and appeared on the verge of tears.

"He didn't make it."

Silence.

A paper is crumpled in his hand, probably an important document.

A breath escapes him, pained.

A shaky voice, almost a whisper.

"Cancel all appointments for the week. I will see my son. Then, I will be unavailable."

Quietly. "Understood."

She turned and left the office, where there was not a single sound.
G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Location: Generally found at the Golden Ivy Tavern. If not there, then on the SpellJammer, his ship.

Post by G »

Removes himself from the darkened corner of the Arena where he had been sitting and brooding in silence over the dark turn of events in his life. He rises and wanders towards the Bar to retrieve another bottle of cognac as the first one was only partially full and easily polished off. Then without even taking note of the other patrons in the Arena who were making all that disturbing noise, he returns to that corner.

Mercedes rushed down the stairs, fresh off of a plane from Caradon and still in full runway makeup with insane hair. The model was normally so perfectly put together and dressed immaculately, but at the moment she was wearing a black silk robe over whatever it was she had been wearing during her makeup and hair session. Frantic golden eyes searched around the Arena until she saw him in the corner; she felt her heart sink. She forced herself not to run to him, opting for soft, calm steps and aneven softer voice once she reached him.

A small glass is poured and stayed. He runs the tip of his finger over the rim of the glass as he stares blankly down towards the ring area, fairly oblivious. even softer voice once she reached him.

"G'nort? Mai called Adam...I took the first flight back..." She paused in front of him before dropping to a knee so that she was more on his level. A hesitant hand lifted to touch his cheek.

He should have been excited, enthused, even, over Merci's arrival. Of all the people he would be most happy to see, it would be her. Instead, he looks up at her and gives her a small smile while continuing to circle the glasses rim. So, Mai called Adam. It made sense, she has G's interests at heart so would try to get the person closest to him to help comfort. He would have normally leaned his cheek into her hand, instead he just gives her that look. "It's good to see you, Merci."

"I wish it was under better circumstances, my darling." The words were crooned out in that soft lilting accent of hers. She took no offense at his lack of enthusiasm. Merci could be a pampered, spoiled, self-serving woman when the mood struck but she also had a heart of gold, a heart that overflowed for G. He had just lost his eldest child and the tears that he was not crying, she wanted to. Knowing how broken up he had to be, his demeanor proving it, she felt her own heart break. "I'm so sorry." The model stayed where she was before him, not moving her hand from its caress against his cheek, despite his inability to respond to the comforting touch.

"It's not your fault, love. It's just.." He looked back towards his glass, choking up slightly and jaw clenching as he fought any emotion that was trying to escape. Some emotions were not for him to show in any public setting, and in private it would be just as difficult for him. He reached up at ran a finger over dry lips. He wouldn't meet Merci's gaze now, it might break him. "I was never able to be the father I should have been for him and now, it's too late."

"He knew you loved him, G'nort. You did the best you could do at the time. Whether it was enough or not is not healthy to ponder because none of us ever feel we do enough for those we love. You tried to take care of him but he was so much like you...so independent. You gave him that." Caressing his cheek still, she didn't attempt to get any closer than he had allowed her already. She could see the suffering in his eyes, and knowing what a strong man he was, Merci allowed him his space. He needed
to grieve in his own way and she wouldn't push.

"Did he? Did I? Maybe I missed all the years of his youth but I still had plenty of time to spend with him, and I wasted it. We never talked, not like we should have. I never tried hard enough. I took it for granted that there would be time enough for me to.." A deep sigh. Maybe it wasn't healthy, no it wasn't. He now has to live with deep regret whether he can convince himself it's justified or not. "In a world of magic and science, nothing was able to help him. What's the point of success if it can't keep the people you care about safe? All that's left is..." Grinds his teeth together for a moment and takes a deep breath. What's left? It's something up for debate."Do you want to pull up a chair?"
Last edited by G on Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Post by G »

It would do him no good to have Merci trying to argue this point with him, now was not the time. All she could do was just listen. "I will gladly sit with you if that is what you wish, my love. Or if you need to keep to yourself, I understand." Not moving until his wishes were expressed.

"Don't leave." His voice quivered slightly and he spoke in a softer tone, finally turning to look at her. She would be able to read his eyes and recognize the sadness within. "I'd rather not be alone. I'm just.. it's hard. I've lost before, many times. This is different."

"I will not leave you, G'nort." Her voice cracked as the full weight of his sorrow was seen as he turned his gaze towards her. It was all she could manage to remain almost stoic in expression as she stood and pulled a chair next to his. Lowering into the chair, Merci slipped an arm around G and placed her free hand over one of his as she leaned her head against his shoulder. "I cannot imagine the pain you are feeling right now. I know I cannot fix this, but is there anything I can do to ease your suffering even the slightest bit? I'm here for you and I have no plans of leaving you alone until you ask me to."

He closed his eyes and leaned his head against hers on his shoulder. He opened his hand more so that it would raise up to meet her palm. "You're doing it right now. Just.. talk to me. Tell me what you've been doing over in Caradon for work, tell me why you're dressed in a robe only. Something to.. help distract me, keep my mind a little distracted." A sigh. "I wish I was in the mood to kiss you."

Her career, her entire life, seemed so extremely shallow at the moment. How was she going to prattle on about such things in the face of such a tragedy? "Well, as you know from our last trip there, this is the beginning of their hot season so Alek is showing his summer collection." She lifted the hem of the black silk robe and dropped it once more as she spoke. "I am in this robe because I had to cover myself because I could not board the plane in the swimsuit I was about to walk the runway in." She squeezed his hand softly. "This was an emergency and far more important than any catwalk or designer collection. Alek understands that family is more important." She tipped her face upwards to kiss his temple and murmured softly. "You are my family, G'nort."

There was the small smile again. She had the ability to make him feel better even in the most dire of circumstances. It was a quick explanation as to her work and why she was in the robe and really didn't help in the distracting area, but that was okay because of her final statement. "Family. Yes, we are. I'm glad you got here so quickly, do remember to thank Alex and Adam for me? Tell them.. tell them I owe them one." He turned his head so that he could place his lips softly against her
cheek, pausing a moment and then pulling back. He reaches up with his free hand to brush a few strands of the wild hair back and look into her eyes. "Are you really only wearing a bathing suit under there?"

"I think they would both be quite offended if you felt that you owed them anything for them just being decent human beings." Had the mood not been so melancholy, she might have laughed at his question. "Yes, there was no time to change. Adam had me booked on the next flight out of Caradon and we only had fifteen minutes to get to the airport. I wasn't going to wait hours until the next flight simply to look more appropriate." He may not comprehend the weight of that statement, but coming from Mercedes, the most proper and well put together woman, being more concerned to be with him than worrying about her appearance spoke volumes.
He understood, completely. And he was extremely grateful for it. It was due to the effort of her team that made him not feel like he had to repay them, but more like he wanted to show his appreciation for them getting her there. "I would like to thank them for what they've done, is all. They made the effort to bring you to me, and it's only right that I thank them." Talking about that was helping to distract, even if it still weighs on his mind. "I think... I'd be in worse shape if you weren't here for me Merci. I don't know where I'd be."

"They will be glad to know they were of some use, I am sure." She squeezed his hand. "You will not have to find out because I'm here to stay for as long as you need." She continued to rub his hand. "Are you planning to stay in RhyDin for a while or did you need to get away?"
G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Post by G »

He raised her hand and kissed the back of it, then leaned his cheek against her fingers. "I am glad you will stay with me. Will you be coming to the ship?" Stupid question, yes, but his mind isn't exactly working on simply expecting her to stay right with him. He was at a stage where he would be asking questions for almost everything, just to be safe. "I need to stay here for a little bit. I have arrangements and... business.. to take care of. But I think some time away may be useful."

She would be patient with him, despite how many questions he asked. "I will stay on the ship with you or will rent us a suite. Whatever your preference." He wasn't expecting her to stay right with him, but she had no intention of letting him out of her sight for more than a few moments. She wouldn't ask what business, because she knew. She knew...and she approved. That might surprise him. Or maybe it wouldn't so much.

"The ship. It's where I'm most comfortable." Another pause. "It'll be nice to have you there with me, again. I don't even mind if you stay in your bathing suit, as long as you're there." Closes his eyes for a moment. "And I will cook you breakfast."

She forced a soft chuckle. "How very kind of you to allow me to stay clothed." The arm around his shoulders lifted so she could run her fingers through his unruly red hair. "You will do no such thing. I will either cook you breakfast or I will have Adam bring something." Kisses his cheek, murmuring against it. "Let me take care of you, for once."

He leans his head against her as she speaks against his cheek, his eyes still closed. "Alright. But just this once." Which everyone knows is more than just once. "You don't have to stay clothed if you don't want to." He's still G. Just, subdued and trying to be a little light despite the tragedy. A deep breath was released.

Yes, he is still G, and now she can feel relieved that he is going to survive. "Mhm, just this once. Promise." Which everyone knew would be more than just once.

"Alright then, my love. We have to go get supplies for the breakfast, though. I haven't really been keeping a full stock lately so I don't think we have anything on the ship. Then.. yeah.. just us at home. It'll be nice." He nods, pretty much all happy smiles are gone today, leaving only the fake ones in their place.

Extracting herself from G, Merci stood and soothed down the knee length robe and held out a hand to him. "We don't need to stop, Adam will bring everything in the morning. Don't concern yourself with the details." Moving towards the stairs with him.

He nodded and shrugged, then stood with her before starting towards the stairs. He was still fairly oblivious to the rest of the patrons, to be honest, so didn't even see the waves or looks from anyone all night. It's been a bad day, only picked up by Merci's presence. "Adam's a good guy. Lots of eggs."
"Lots of eggs," she repeated as she led him up the stairs and out the door.

Heading right on out with her. There were things to take care of before morning.

(Taken from live play: Mucho thanks to Merci's player for not only playing, but compiling this for me. :D )
G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Post by G »

Taking place late on the night of October 11th.

Merci was asleep. They had just slept together, and while it was a loving experience, they both knew exactly what it was this night. A temporary distraction from the pain of the death of his son. It starting out just holding and gentle petting, having comfort in each others arms, and escalated from there. But it lacked the passion they normally had for each other. Hopefully, it wouldn't have a negative effect on their relationship, and she would understand that it was just a result of tragic events preceding it.

G'nort, however, was not asleep. He was sitting up in his bed, staring down at his love, gently stroking her hair. Watching her relaxed breathing. He could tell she shared his pain even though as far as he knew, she'd never even met Locke. He continued petting her. She seemed so peaceful, so well protected. He was going to be sure she would remain protected.

"Merci?" He whispered, stopping the petting. He leaned closer down towards her. "Merci? Are you awake?" There was no real response with exception to a soft moan and subtle shifting in her sleep.

He nodded, satisfied that she was asleep. He quietly slid out of the bed and pulled on some pants, a shirt and then some shoes. He walked over to the dresser and knelt down next to it. Reaching out to press his hand against the wall, he gave a light shove. This pushed a small, square section of the wall in, and then he pushed it upwards. His hand entered the wall and pulled out a small, plain box with a handle made from ivory on the top. He closed the wall and then stood, leaving the bedroom and then the ship, heading towards Talanador Tower across from the Golden Ivy Tavern in the Old Temple district.

When he arrived, instead of going through the main doors, he quietly went around the back and pulled down what looked to be a nondescript lamp hanging on the wall of the tower, a lamp that matched the others surrounding the entire base. When it was pulled, a large section of the wall collapsed inward and slid to the left to reveal a downward spiraling staircase. He stepped inside and began to make his way down, but not before taking a torch from the wall and lighting it so he can see his way down. The only sounds on the way down those stairs were of the flames as he moved, each light tap of his feet, the occasional drop of water and faint, pained whimpers echoing off the curved walls.

After what seemed like forever, but actually only about ten minutes of walking, he finally reached a door made of a polished, black stone. This was one of his secret rooms that he rarely ever speaks of, and one in particular that not even Mai knows of. With a gentle push, the door would open and expose a large, circular room lit by numerous low powered light bulbs. There were several other lamps that were currently not lit that were brighter, so it was to one of these near the table in the center that he would ignite.

A body stirred, whimpering louder almost immediately as the brightness was shown over him. Laying strapped down on this table was a man, stripped down to near nothing but torn shorts around his waist, emaciated, bruised, bloodied and near death. G'nort looked the man over for a moment before pulling the box from the bag at his hip. He set the box on a small table that was covered with several unclean instruments, some sharp, some pointy, some blunt, several serrated. He looked at those for a moment with an unfeeling expression and unclasped the box to pull out a vial filled with a smoky, cream colored liquid. He stared at it longingly for a few moments as if trying to decide. Then with a frown, he turned to the prone man and pulled out the stopper.

He leaned forward, resting his left hand on the mans dirty forehead and pushed his greasy, matted hair back, then whispered. "Drink this. It will make you feel better." Then began pouring it into the mans mouth.

The man sputtered, but since it had been so long since he'd had a drink of anything, the vial was emptied before he could say or ask anything about it. He opened his eyes and took in a deep breath, then turned to look at G'nort. The eyes widened and he instinctively tried to pull away, though the restraints wouldn't let him get anywhere.

"How do you feel?" G asked quietly, his face still devoid of emotion.

"Uuuh.. Uuuh.. Ahh.. actually.. I.. I feel beh..better, Like, I..I'm getting energy back. Why did you do that? Why are you keeping me here?" The man laid his head back on the table and softly began to cry.

"You know why you're here." G replied, turning to the table with the instruments, lightly running his fingers over a select few.

"No, actually I don't.. why don't you let me go? Let me go, please!" He cried.

"Soon. I will let you go soon, this I promise. But first..."

"Yuh.. you will?" Whimper. "No, you won't. You woulda done it by now if you wanted to. Yer just gonna kill me."

"I'm not going to kill you. You have my word." He turned back to the prone man. Holding up the empty bottle in front of his eyes. "Do you know what this is?"

The man simply shook his head.

"This was what you drank." G held the glass up to his own eyes, looking intently at the emptiness inside. "This was a potion that took me a great deal of pain to get. You see, long ago I decided that immortality was something I greatly desired. A few near death experiences with a couple dragons would do that to you. Of course, I'm still here, and those dragons... aren't. Anyway, those are other stories. This one, however, pertains to this vial."
G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Post by G »

"You see, in all my travels, in all the realms I've visited, I could never find anything that would make me immortal. Until.. until I came to one called.. The Bayou. This realm had some strange individuals, but among them, they had one old, simple, plain looking mad. They all called themselves witch doctors or voodoo men. All but this one. He didn't dress like them, dance around and act crazy like them. He just sat there, watching, staring and rarely speaking. Clearly, where they others were charlatans, this man was the real thing." G made a few hand gestures as he emphasized the story, the prisoner just watching him.

"Well, I followed the man, followed him to his little stilted home in the middle of an alligator, mosquito infested swamp. That was annoying, let me tell you." A light chuckle as he leaned on the mans table. "Well, I managed to speak to the man. I asked him his name, no answer. I asked him what he was doing there. No answer. I asked him many questions. There were no answers. So, I sat there with him for hours upon hours each day. I would leave, but come back. Each time, I would bring food, or drink, and sometimes gold. I didn't shower him with gifts, mind you. More like, sprinkled. Anyway, this went on for about six months, until finally, he spoke."

"He said. 'Young man. You been comin' here almos' e'ry dey for da pas' five an'a half mont. Why you here?' And I said "Sir, you are clearly a man with great knowledge and power. I would like to know the secret to immortality.' He gave me such a look. Piercing, cold, suspicious. I still feel it to this day." G gave a shudder. "He said 'Why you be lookin' for dat?' And I said 'It should be obvious. I don't wish to die.' He looked at me again. I don't know why, I would have thought there'd be more to it, or more ceremony, questions of whatever. But he stood up and went to a case. He opened this case that contained many different bottles and pulled out this one I hold before you."

G held the bottle up to the light.

"He said... 'Dis here be a potion of immortality. I not be makin' no more so when you have dis and leave, don' try comin' back here. Once you leave I will no longer be here.' That puzzled me. So I asked him.. 'How do I know this will work?' And he gave me that look. He paused, grabbed a frog and an eye dropper. He took some of this potion from the bottle and squeezed it into the frogs mouth. The frog croaked. I waited. He stared at me. Then, without warning, he pulled a knife out and stabbed the frog. Stabbed it good and hard so that the knife was into the table. The frog should have died, but it lay there motionless for a moment, and then kept wiggling, trying to get away. It just... wouldn't die. I waited. Watched it for at least a half hour. It still lived. Finally he pulled the knife free and the frog ran away. Hopped. You know, frogs."

"He looked at me, knowing that I understood what he was giving me was exactly what I was looking for and he said in a warning tone. 'Dis be yours. But be warned. You won' age. You won' die. But dat don' mean you are free from harm. You can still feel da pain. You will still burn. You will still hunger. You just won' die. If you fall under harm an' be crippled, you won' be healed. You need to ask yehsef, do dis be da immortality ya be seekin'? If so, den you drink it. But ya need ta be sure.' It was the most he ever said to me."

G paused for quiet reflection. "I had immortality in my grasp. And I... I gave it to you."

The man swallowed, he knew what was coming. "Why."

"Because you killed my son."

"I.. what?"

"You killed my son. You led the bandit raid on my train. You and your men whose heads line that area of track as a warning to those who may try what you did again, you are the leader, and therefore, responsible for your entire bands actions. My son died earlier today. And my gift to you... my payment.. my revenge is to grant you immortality."

"That doesn't make sense.... Even if I killed your son.. why would you give me immortality."

"You killed my son. As to why I would give it to you, weren't you listening to my story about the most valuable treasure I've ever owned? You won't heal, you'll feel pain, you'll burn."

G turned his back to the man again to set the vial down.

"You.. you're mad. You can't do this to me!" the man screamed.

G'nort made a few movements and then turned, wearing an apron and lifting a club. "I'm not mad, Bandit Lord whose name has no consequence. I'm angry. And when I am angry, it means I have been wronged. When I am wronged, I exact the most agonizing vengeance I can think of on the one who has wronged me. You attacked the wrong camp that day, killed the wrong person, and now... now you pay."

G brought down the club with great violence, spraying blood everywhere, the sounds of the tortured mans screams echoing around him. Each time he thought he might stop or get sick from disemboweling or burning the man, he imagined his screams were his sons screams of pains as he was attacked, thus renewing his resolve to destroy everything that this man was.

In the end. All that was left was a lumpy red mass of exposed body parts that vaguely resembled a human body that simply wouldn't die, gathered and dumped off in the middle of a road in a realm that was not Rhydin.

This mass was found and taken to the nearest hospital. A doctor standing beside a nurse who had a pitied look in her eyes were near the man.

"Who is he? Where did he come from?" Asked the nurse.

"I have no idea. He was found in the middle of nowhere, somehow alive. Whatever happened to him, it should have killed him ten times over." The doctor looked at the mass. "Whoever he is, he must be in excruciating pain."

An eye that could not close stared vacantly, with a single tear flowing out.

Return to “Golden Ivy Tavern”