Not your Typical Family Reunion.

Stories of the those from House Dragoon Talanador, the Company of the Dragon and the Tavern itself.

Moderator: G

Locke
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Not your Typical Family Reunion.

Post by Locke »

For three days, he stayed at some no-name hole in the ground Inn, his Palomino, Altivo, stabled inadequately by most civilized standards. For three days, he debated how he was going to confront his father finally, after all these years passed by without so much as a simple "Are you alive?"

Now, he had finally come to Rhydin from his forced exile, not yet a man, but man enough to make his own decisions and go where he wanted and make his own choices. It was almost surrealistic that he chose to seek out the man whom he assumed abandoned him and his mother.

But now he's come back to the place where he was born, where he spent a few years growing up and only had the smallest recollection of. He has only met one person, a girl, who was kind enough on their first meeting to reveal where his father could likely be found, or at least information as to his whereabouts. By all accounts, choosing to rent at his fathers establishment would be a marked improvement over the poor conditions of the Inn he was currently residing.

So, steeling himself, he packed up what belongings he had, paid the innkeeper his fees and removed Altivo, who gave Locke a mild, irritated nip in frustration in having been left in so substandard a location, and proceeded towards the Golden Ivy Tavern.
Locke
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Locke »

With a slight frown, he looked up at the sign that said "Golden Ivy Tavern." He wondered if he would have enough to afford staying here for an extended period of time, but then, he probably would only need to stay for a day or two until he moved on to bigger and better things anyway. There seemed to be enough jobs available for someone of his talents, even if it wouldn't be terribly glorious a position.

He slid from the saddle and tied Altivo to a post which was taken in typical Altivo fashion (which meant he felt offended) then walked inside the Tavern, steeling himself for the possibility of finally meeting his father. It had been a bright enough day outside, so it was somewhat surprising that when he stepped into the GIT, the brightness was nearly non-existent. It was dark, shadowy and lit mostly by torches and oil lamps.

By the time his eyes adjusted, he was already being smiled at by the female clerk and watched by two other boys. He blinked and proceeded directly to the counter where the young woman smiled even wider, flashing her brilliant white teeth. She had a name tag that read "Tara" and seemed to be genuinely happy to be where she was.

When he reached the counter, she spoke with a cheerful tone and sweet voice. "Hello and welcome to the Golden Ivy Tavern! How can I help you?"

"Er.. How much for a room?"

"Would you be staying for one night or multiple evenings?" She replied with her smile still in place. It was amusing because she was genuinely happy to be assisting this young man.

"Err, well that may depend on the cost, I'd hope I can afford it, at any rate." he said as he looked into his money pouch.

"We have multiple rates depending on the time you spend with us here at the Golden Ivy. For one night, we charge thirty silver nobles. That would be just a ten hour stay. A full day is fifty, that's for twenty four hours. Three days and two nights, which is sixty hours, only costs One hundred and fourty . A full week at our fine establishment is an even three hundred. Of course, we have discounted rates for bi-weekly and full month stays. But we'll start with the more common charges. Also, if you become a frequent guest rewards program, you gain special priviliges and further discounts such as 'buy one week, get two days free' reward. Also, you get the free continental breakfast and fresh linens and soaps every day as well as room service, wake up calls, and during these sometimes heated summer days, conditioned air from our Fyren powered system!"

"Erm, that was a very well explained answer. " Locke said, looking back down into his pouch. "All right then, I'll do the full week to start, and if I, umm, leave early, would it be possible to gain a pro-rated refund?"

"Oh certainly! Naturally it will depend on how early you leave, of course."

"That's no trouble at all, Miss... umm. Tara." He peered at her name tag just as he began to pay for the room and readied to sign the agreement. "Also, I understand this place is owned by mister Talanador, is that correct?"

"That would be correct, sir! He owns this tavern, the tower next door, the stables, and a few other minor business holdings in town." she repied smiling.

"Does he come here often?"

"Certainly. Sometimes every day, though others maybe once a week."

Taking a deep breath, he initialed the papers. "Would it be possible for me to arrange a meeting with him?"

"I think that can be done. I will leave Mister Talanador a message for you. Who shall I say is calling on him?" she took out a notepad and began writing the request.

He almost panicked then, having not thought that far ahead as to whether or not to give his real name or an alias. He decided on the latter. "Smith.. Altivo Smith."

"Well then, welcome to the Golden Ivy Tavern, Mister Smith! I will relay your message as soon as possible, you are on the second floor in room 219. Do you have any baggage needed to be taken up?"

"No, thank you, Tara. But I do have a horse tied up outside. Is it extra for the stabling?"

"Oh, not at all, sir. We'll get one of the stable hands to tend to him. What kind is it?" She still smiled.

"Palomino, just outside. And be careful, he's temperamental." added with a slight chuckle. He then took his key and gave Tara a nervous smile as he went in the indicated direction towards his room.
G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Location: Generally found at the Golden Ivy Tavern. If not there, then on the SpellJammer, his ship.

Post by G »

There was a moment when he didn't want to be on his ship. There was a moment when he didn't want to be at Kaj's cabin. There was a moment where he didn't want to be at the Arena. Same with the Outback and Red Dragon. No, none of these places would do for him, tonight.

So, it was with an apathetic attitude that our hero/villain decided that he'd head over to the Golden Ivy and see if he was needed for anything. So, he arrived, pushed his way through the door and walked over to the clerks desk. He grunted a greeting to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, who appeared to be playing a game of high card, and nodded to Tara, who was behind the counter, still.

He reached into his mailbox, which was really just an opening in the wall that everyone had, to see if there was anything eye catching. As he flipped through the various vendor notations, deals and offers, as well as the occassional law suit making a weak attempt at threatening to sue him over some minute detail that was quickly forgotten, he sighed out a simple question to Tara.

"Evening, Tara. Any news?" He asked, looking over a colorful add for dragon scale polish.

"Nothing dramatic, Mister Talanador. We've still got the standard guests and rooms held, plus about four or five new ones staying on either day by day or weekly. Maude's complaining about you never giving her the supplies she needs in order to keep the place as clean as it is, and is threatening to just walk out." Tara started to say..

"-Miss- Maude, Tara. Show the old bat the respect she's earned for someone of her age and station, as she'd love to remind you. She's just angling for a raise. She keeping the place in good order and not irritating any of the guests?" He replied boredly, still flipping through his mail.

"Miss Maude, yes. And she's doing a fine job, certainly, no complaints about her. Though she does kinda.. make me nervous." Tara whispered sidelong.

G'nort smiled a bit at that and looked over to her. "Yes. She does have that forboding presense, I agree. What else?"

"Well, Doctor Jones will be coming to stay briefly and was hoping to have his usual room, I told him we would. Mister O'Connell would like to reserve a room on standby because he has a feeling there's going to be another mess with a mummy.. he said you'd understand. Oh, and there's a Mister Smith in 219 who has requested a meeting with you. He wouldn't say what it was about, but I told him I would attempt it. He said it was important." She finished, handing over the notes regarding each one.

"It's always a pleasure to have Doctor Jones, we'll give him ten percent off his rates this time. Make that five. O'Connell, ugh. That man, I swear. Okay, charge him rates minus five percent for now, but if he does show up and has his bratty son with him, make it the regular price." G'nort paused to think about it. "Take two and a half off if he brings his lovely wife. But charge him regular plus Five percent if his brother in law comes. I won't lose more towels to him."

"Mister Smith, eh?" G'nort said, looking over the note regarding that request. "No idea who he is. Means he's either a lawyer trying to sue me over something, attempting to serve a paternity suit, or a copyright infringement... Can't think of anything I've done that'd deserve any of those. Or he's trying to sell me something. Very well. Leave a message that I'll see him in my office, here, tomorrow at around three O'clock. That'll be all, Tara." G'nort finished, tucking his mail under his arm and moving to his office door.

"Yes sir, thank you, Mister Talanador. We'll be seeing you tomorrow!" Tara watched him as he shut the office door behind him, hearing the 'click' sound to say that it was now locked.

She grinned and shivered as she looked to the bellhops. "He's so handsome."

The boys looked at each other and rolled their eyes before resuming their game.
Locke
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Locke »

"Three O'clock? Very well then. Thank you." he said, closing the door after the message was delivered. He walked over and sat on his bed, rubbing his thighs nervously.

He'd thought about it before, but now that there was an actual time he'd meet his father, his nerves got to him. Would he be able to go through with it? What would he say? How will he react, and in turn, react to his fathers reactions? A thousand thoughts went through his brain in one fell swoop and he quickly put his head in his hands, rubbing his eyes to try and relax.

Finally the time had come. He put on his best outfit, combed his hair and looked in the mirror. He took deep breaths and stared at himself. "You can do this. This will be a simple confrontation. You can do this."

Then, with determination and resolve, he stepped out of the room and down the stairs of the Golden Ivy, knocking on the door of the office of G'nort Dragoon-Talanador.

"You may enter." was heard through the door, and he placed his hand on the doorknob, turning and pushing inward, stepping inside the room.
Locke
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

The Confrontation

Post by Locke »

As he stepped into the office, G'nort stood and offered a polite, if fake smile. He gestured to the boy to sit in a seat at the desk. When Locke sat, G'nort followed suit. Sitting in his leather seat, folding his hands in front of his face as he stared across at Locke. For his part, Locke sat straight up, staring back at his father. Hazel locked on hazel. Hands flat on thighs as they stared.

G'nort, for his part, was mainly waiting for this boy to make his offer so he could throw him out of the Tavern for wasting his time with something stupid like a wand that clears up acne or something else pathetic like that. But there was something, as he stared. Something familiar about this boy and he just couldn't place it. His eyes narrowed slightly as he tried to place a name to this boys face. It certainly wasn't Mister Smith, or whatever he said his name was. He tilted his head slightly, and finally leaned forward a bit.

"You seem somewhat familiar. Have I fought you before? Bought out your parents business or something?" He asked.

Swallowing, his father having spoken to him in what almost felt so condescending that his anger gained fuel, he looked directly back at him with an unchanging expression that could only be described as abhorrent. Lips parted as he spoke but the movement was miniscule, and his tone was a mix of sarcasm and disgust.

"Fought, no. We've never had time to face each other in battle, though not for a lack on my part. And it's hard to buy out something that you already own." he practically spat at him.

G'norts brows furrowed in slight confusion, unsure of why the boy seemed so angry.

"I'm afraid you have me at a disadvantage, something I'm not really used to. You seem to know me, yet I can't seem to place from where." He leaned back in his chair, tapping his fingers on the desk as the other hand held the armrest, his eyes never leaving the boys face.

"Then perhaps you could have asked my mother. You would know her, I am sure."
Locke
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Locke »

A somewhat annoyed expression crossed G'norts features as he realized what this seemed to be about. 'Ahhing' as he shifted in his seat to the right, leaning at an angle now. What he believed this to be was now something he could easily deal with and dismiss.

"Ah I see. So it is the old 'paternity suit' attempt. Well, I'm sorry, but it won't work on me. I've detailed records of those who I've had relations with and have subsequently given birth to children. I've both their mothers names and the children. There's really not many and I'm so sorry you have wasted your time, but there will be no handouts today or ever. So I'm going to have to say good day." and without looking at the boy any further, G'nort gestured to the door and picked up some random piece of paperwork to read over.

Now it was Lockes turn to lean forward. He spoke with a sneer in his voice and his eyes narrowed in anger much like his father before him does. "You keep records. Good. Then perhaps you'll know this name. For this name will happen to be on your list. After that, I've no doubt you'll believe me."

"Mmm. I said good day. The door is that way." he gestured again.

"Perhaps you remember.." Lockes voice dropped to a whisper as he leaned even further forward against the desk.

"Ariana Dragoon-Talanador."
Locke
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Locke »

"What?"

"What was that name, again?" This time, G'norts attention was back on the boy. The paper that was held was dropped to the desk and he stared blankly forward. It wasn't often he was caught off his guard, but this actually was one of those things that he wasn't expecting at all.

"Ariana Dragoon-Talanador. You used to call her 'Prin.' You lived mainly on your ship, the 'SpellJammer.' You were married twice, divorced twice and after the second time, abandoned us as family. Your life and womanizing and career became more important to you than your own son! A few extra bucks and some wins in a ring meant more to you then ensuring the welfare of your own blood!" Locke declared angrily, rising from his chair.

If anything could have shaken G'nort from being stunned and taken off guard, it was going to be what he felt were false accusations. Or outright lies. He slammed his palm down onto the desktop and rose to his full height, leaning right back across the desk towards Locke.

"How dare you. How *DARE* you! If you had any idea.. You don't. *IF* Prin is your mother, did she ever tell you why we were divorced? Did she tell you that I abandoned my only Son because she left *ME!* That she took him away, likely with every intention of never letting me see him again! You may look like me and that's a very interesting trick, but if these are your stories you'd be better off doing a little investigative work on your own! There's plenty of people who could tell you just what happened between me and Ariana!" His eyes were narrowed angrily and skeptically. It was the fact that there was such a resemblence that gave him pause to outright deny that he was related..

"Oh, she told me all about you, Father" the last work spoken derisively. "She told me how you loved being the center of attention with other women. How you always sought glory in the rings at this.. Arena. How some stupid title of Baron was more important to you than giving your wife some attention.. No, she told me that you were the most self-centered, egotistical, lying bastard you are right now. I knew you wouldn't be different. Four years old! That's the last time I saw you, and I remember you fighting in the ring for some Barony. That's all I remember of you! Always fighting never caring!" it was now becoming a shouting match between the two, and neither were gaining the upper hand.
Locke
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Locke »

"You cocky little brat. You think that's all I cared about? There's more to life that just winning some duels and being around women all day and making tons of money! You obviously are deluded into thinking that anything your cow of a mother says is golden. Well let me tell you something, boy. Your mother was easily a little whore. She cheated on me during our first marriage. She left me for the same guy. You were already born by then, about a year old maybe. Do you remember an idiotic dwarf? No? Well then, maybe you remember when we remarried after I foolishly forgave her infidelity and she ended up cheating on me *again* with someone whose ego outclasses at least five of the most egotistical people in the Arena. Your mother didn't have what I had, and that is steadfast loyalty and devotion. You think your mother is so great, I could tell you stories about her that will make your toes curl. I half expect you don't know who your real father is, and that neither does that tramp behemoth 'Ariana Dragoon-Talanador.' I'm insulted that she still goes around using my good name. She's a cow." he spit out, irately and disgustedly. His eyes looking Locke up and down in derision.

"Don't you talk that way about my mother, you bastard! You're the one who left! You're the one who didn't care about me! All you wanted was to go about your business and forget that I ever existed!" Hot tears of anger were escaping the boys eyes now and he was trying to reach across the desk to attack G'nort, who was still too quick and experienced to allow such a thing to occur. "You never cared! You never loved me! You were happy I was gone!"

"Happy? You whiny little kid. I would have scoured the world to look for you if I had any indication of where you'd gone!"

"You could have! You have your *whole conglomerate* and *tons* of resources at your disposal!" Obviously loaded with sarcasm. "You could have looked at any time you wanted for me! It was easy enough for me to find you!"

"Of course it was! Your Perfect and Gigantic bitch of a mother likely told you where I could be found! 'Go to Rhydin, that's likely where he'll be!' I bet she said. After that, it's as easy as saying 'hey, anyone know where to find G'nort?' and they'll point you here! Finding you isn't that easy. When she took you from here and from me, I wasn't wealthy. I didn't have all these fantastic resources I have now. I had this tavern! And it wasn't even This tavern! It was a smaller one! Another bitch named Arane Ganderfald burned that one to the ground and luckily by then I had the available resources to rebuild this newer, better one! By the time I would have been able to seek you out, your trail had gone so cold my dragon would shiver! So I don't want to hear this bull about 'resources and comglomerates' from you as an excuse!" was shouted back to the boy.

"You're a liar! I knew you'd make up some pathetic excuses as to why you didn't want to look for me! You're a liar and you don't care! And stop talking about my mother that way! You're not even half the person she is!"

"I'll say! I exercise and eat a whole lot less than she does. She probably is so large now she takes up most of the coastline of whatever land you two lived at now, right? Or is my theory correct in assuming that she's her own landmass and people live on her? It wouldn't be the first time she's had several men climbing over her body at the same time!"

That pretty much was it for Locke. At that point he launched himself over the desk and began to flail at his father, blindly throwing his fists at him. Being older, stronger, and more experienced than the boy who was thin and unskilled in any form of combat, it was only a matter of seconds before G'nort grabbed his fists and threw him into a choke hold, dragging him towards the door.

Reaching down with the free hand that then allowed Locke to begin clawing at the arm holding him by his neck, G'nort calmly, if irritable, opened his office door, dragged him from the office and threw him onto the Ivy floor. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern quickly looked away and began whistling tunelessly, obviously they had been eavesdropping. Tara, who was still on duty, had the dignity to not even look at the two brawling family members and was pretending to do some work. She didn't have to eavesdrop to have heard everything that went on.

G'nort stormed back to his office and as he was about to close the door, glared at Locke who was picking himself off the floor. "We might be able to talk again. *IF* you've calmed down." Then he slammed the door.

Locke glared at the closed door, then pulled his shirt down to make it more comfortable, and then brushed himself off. He looked around at the other three people there. The boys were still whistling and making a point to not look at Locke. His eyes found Tara and she just gave him a sympathetic smile.

"Well.. that didn't go so bad now, did it?" she offered weakly.

He continued to glare at her, then turned on the spot and went up the stairs, pushed open the door to his room and slammed the door. He then fell onto his bed and covered his face with his pillow, silently crying to himself in both anger and overwhelming sadness.
G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Location: Generally found at the Golden Ivy Tavern. If not there, then on the SpellJammer, his ship.

Post by G »

G'nort stormed back to his office and as he was about to close the door, glared at Locke who was picking himself off the floor. "We might be able to talk again. *IF* you've calmed down." Then he slammed it shut.

He leaned against the door, hearing Tara comment to the boy. He took a deep breath, closing his eyes and letting the anger leave him. The boy evoked more emotion from him in a half hour screaming session than he'd been used in years.

"Kids suck." he muttered as he walked back to his desk.

He moved around it, picking up his chair and rotating it so that he couls sit facing the desk. Lowering himself into the seat, he opened the lower right drawer, taking out a glass and a bottle cognac. He unstoppered the bottle and filled the glass three quarters full before setting down. He took up the glass and downed half of it in one gulp. He took another deep breath, surveyed the wreckage of the office from his son leaping over and attacking him, plus the struggle of G'nort dragging him out.

Replaying it in his mind, G'nort chuckled and now only took a light sip from the glass. He set it down as well and then swivelled in his chair, rising now and walking towards the window. He looked out into the night at the forest off to the side and rear of the GIT.

"So. Little LC is back. He's grown some." He chuckled again and turned to sit again, picking up the glass and raising it to his lips. "Brat's going to have to learn how to fight. Especially around here. That was too weak. Heh." Now amused, he drained the remains of the cognac and set the glass back where he got it.
G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Post by G »

A day had passed when G'nort finally came around to Lockes room. He stood for a moment and took a deep breath before finally reaching up to knock lightly on the door.

A muffled "Who is it?" was heard as well as some movement. Footsteps towards the door then stopping and waiting. G'nort nodded, satisfied that Locke wasn't foolish enough to just open the door for someone who knocked.

"It's your supposed father." he called out. The door opened a crack to reveal only a portion of Lockes face. He was looking angry and disinterested.

"I am not interested in anything you have to say, and frankly, identifying yourself as my 'supposed' father doesn't make me inclined to listen at all. So do us both a favor and be on your way." Locke stated plainly, shutting the door.

G'norts foot was the quicker, however. He anticipated such a response so moved it between in the opening as Locke spoke. G shook his head and almost smiled.

"As your landlord, then." he smirked.

Trying to shut the door with no success, then looking down and seeing the shoe keeping it open, Locke glared at his father. "Go on then. You won't be my landlord for long. The week is almost up and I'll find another place to stay. Somewhere cheaper, even."

"To tell you the truth, I was going to give you a fifty percent discount on your stay, here. Until we had proof that you are my son."

"Oh really generous of you. You'll give me half off prices because you want to be sure I'm your son, but you'll still be happy to take some of my money. What happens when you find out I really am related to you, raise the discount to sixty-six point six percent off?" Locke continued to sneer at G'nort.

He wrinkled his brow as he regarded the boy through the crack in the door. "You know, for someone so eager to prove he's my son, you're being awfully combative. Look, open the door and let me in. We'll talk, we won't argue, and I will leave quietly when you want. Okay?"

"I want you to leave quietly *now.*"

"Ah, but we haven't had our talk." Gnort smiled slightly this time.

Locke regarded him quietly. He was weighing the pros and cons of letting his father into his room, the biggest con is how to actually get him out when he wanted him to leave. Eventually, curiousity won out and he stepped away from the door, not opening it for Gnort nor gesturing him inside. He simply walked back into the room and sat at the provided table.

G'nort gave him a moment before pushing the door open and following him inside, taking a seat at the table beside Locke.
G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Post by G »

"All right. I've let you in. Say your piece and be on your way, I have better things to worry about than a father who still doesn't want anything to do with me."

"Okay, look. First, stop being so negative about me. You don't know if I want anything to do with you or not yet, so shut it. What you need to understand is that to someone with my wealth, stature, popularityand reputation, it's fairly commonplace to have some teenage boy or girl to come around and all of a sudden start making accusations about being my child. The only reason I haven't had you kicked out of my Tavern immediately after our first meeting is because you mentioned several things that only Locke or his mother would know."

Locke sighed irritably. He shook his head. "You know what? So what? What happens when you realize I'm your son? Nothing will change. You'll still be you and I'll still be abandoned."

"If you're my son, then we'd have some catching up to do, wouldn't we? Look, what you continue to not understand, and please don't argue this because it's coming from my standpoint and is very important, is that I -Never- abandoned you. You were basically taken from me at four years of age, and I never had any idea where you went. By the time it was within my ability to seek you out, I had no idea where to begin. One day you were here, the next, gone. As if you never were here to begin with. I never really did get over that, but I was able to bury it. I honestly never expected to see either of you again... not that I mind not seeing that bitch. Sorry, your mother." G'nort quickly amended, seeing Lockes reaction to the insult.

"Stop. Insulting. My. Mother." he breathed, clearly getting worked up. "You may not like her for whatever reasons, but she's all I had, and she did care about me. Do you think it's easy? Growing up without a father?"

"No, I know it's not. Believe it or not, you're not unique in that regard." G'nort responded quietly.

"What do you mean? Did you not..." but Locke never got to finish the sentence because G'nort quickly cut him off.

"There's always someone around here who is missing one or both of their parents. You'll see."

Locke peered at him quizzically. Whether G'nort meant himself or not, he would never know and could only guess. "So what now, then?"

"Well. I could accept you as my son. Then if it ever turns out that you played on my feelings, lied to me, and made all this stuff up.. aside from me acknowledging you as a great actor, I'll have you killed, slowly and steadily so that you'll wish you were never born. Or, we can go with option B and have the Gnomes at GnomCorp do some of their little tests to determine if we are related."

Locke grimaced a bit and nodded. "Yes. I think I'll go with option B. I want to prove to you that I am indeed your son. But when you find out the truth, what then?"

G stared at the boy a moment, sure that if he was willing to go through with a test like that, he must truly be his son. But they needed to be sure. "Well first, we'll get you that sixty-six percent discount, after that.. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get to it."

Locke nodded. "All right then. I suppose I can stay a bit longer. Er, look, I don't mean to be rude now, but you can leave. I was getting ready for bed when you knocked on my door."

"Bed? Now?" G'nort said, rising as he started for the door. "But it's so early.."

"Early for you, late for the civilized world. Good night, father." and he shut the door as soon as G'nort left.

He sighed and shook his head with a slight smile. "He's still not happy with me. Ah well, he'll grow out of that."

And then he went down the stairs and back into his office, shutting the door and preparing to schedule some tests.

Return to “Golden Ivy Tavern”