How to Duel for Fun and Profit

Stories of the those from House Dragoon Talanador, the Company of the Dragon and the Tavern itself.

Moderator: G

G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Location: Generally found at the Golden Ivy Tavern. If not there, then on the SpellJammer, his ship.

How to Duel for Fun and Profit

Post by G »

"It's funny, Mai" G said. Thinking about what he was about to commit to. "I've done it before, but it's been so long, I hesitated to consider doing it again because I might not remember how." he chuckled.

"Oh? What's that?" came the bored response from his senior assistant, ever lovely, ever unconcerned about his thoughts, and ever writing things down in her notepad.

"Well, I'd been toying with the idea for a long time, and recent events and duelists who're new have given me the chance to perhaps bring an old idea back." He grinned slyly, hoping to build up suspense for someone who really didn't concern herself with things going on in the dueling realm beyond what she has to send to accounting.

"What spectacular old idea would that be, Mister Talanador?" she stated in a monotone voice.

"I'm going to bring back House Dragoon-Talanador, a dueling house and school for those who wish to be a part of a greater whole. Isn't that terrific? Huh, huh?" he revealed, clearly excited.

"Oh, yes. Of course. Fantastic idea. To whom shall I send the memos?" Mai clearly wasn't that enthused about the idea due to there being more work for her, no doubt.

"Well, Just print me out some notices, and I'll have them tacked up around the dueling venues. I wonder who might be interested..." he chuckled, leaning back in his chair.

"Simple, sir. I shall send notices down to advertising immediately."

"Thank you. And do let me see the finished results, I'd like to put my stamp of approval on them before they get posted." he smiled, folding his hands over his stomach as he turned in his chair to look out through his office window.

"Absolutely, sir." she finished, closing her notepad and rising, making her way through the door.
G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Location: Generally found at the Golden Ivy Tavern. If not there, then on the SpellJammer, his ship.

Post by G »

After a short period of time, Mai brought up a copy of one of the posts. She handed it over to her boss and he took a close look at it.

After a moment, he smiled, shrugged and nodded.

"This will do fine, for now. If you get a moment, I'd like one far more artsy if you get the chance."

Mai rolled her eyes and nodded. She then took the copy from G and went to duplicate it, then hire a few children to throw them up around town.

People who come across it will see this....

G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Post by G »

Facing the window with his hands behind his back, G watched the rain all with an amused chuckling. He was tapping a foot, not to a beat but with the energy of someone eager to start a new venture.

"I've already spoken to Jewell, Mai. I think she'll come along. She is popular in the Inn, but not so much in the fighting arenas. I know her style, her eagerness to be as widely known as I am will make her want to join in." he smiled.

Sure, it wasn't definite that he gained Jewell yet, but signs seemed to point to a positive response. He'd make it worth her while, too, so it wouldn't be as if he was gaining her person for nothing.

"Have you gained anyone else yet, sir?" Mai replied boredly, writing more.

"No, it's still early in the game. But I do have a good idea of some others to bring into it. I'll want some of the future of the duels, and Uriko looks to be a prime target. Her youth and enthusiasm will be useful for a long time. Erin should be a plan, as well. Since she's under contract with me already, it is in my best interest to help train her to be a better fighter. CDR can't have a losing season."

"Also, set me up an appointment with Miss Jericho. Yes. Chuck might be useful in keeping these younger ladies in line. No doubt it may cost me something, though.." he pondered, tapping his lower back with his knuckles.

"Sir, though I'm loathe to do so, I feel it is my civic duty to remind you that all reports say that Miss Jericho and Miss Ravenlock do not get along with each other. That likely means that you will have a harsh negotiation process." Mai calmly reported.

"You mean what that Gossip monger has been writing?" G turned his head with a raised brow, looking to his lovely assistant. "Certainly that person is a wealth of information that is partially true. A good portion is likely just rediculous tripe. You might want to take what he says about Jewell and Chuck with a grain of salt." he scoffed.

"You're just jealous that he's reporting of other men acting more desirable than you are." Mai was quiet to speak, not wanting to say it out loud.

"What's that?"

"Oh, nothing. I was just commenting that Mr. Franco writes about what his spies see and that maybe you should inquire into his services in order to use them yourself." She sweetly stated to placate him.

"No, I don't really have a use for that. Anyway, as to the Chuck and Jewell situation, well, I'll simply have a chat with her and gain her allegience without mentioning Jewell."

"You will lie to her?" Mai raised a brow, not thinking that her boss would lie to this important employee.

"Of course not. It will be an omission. Besides, if I gain Erin and Uriko as I plan, Charlotte would be more than happy to join along with them."

"Sir, you seem to be planning for a lot of women to join. I should point out that the media will see this as you attempting to bring all the women into your stable, so to speak." Mai said cautiously.

G'nort laughed softly, fully turning to her. "My dear. Let the media write their own stories. I don't need a stable full of women. However, you're correct, I should see who might be interested as well from a male standpoint. Hmm."

He moved to his desk, pulling out the chair and sitting into it quietly, steepling his fingers in front of his mouth as he went into deep thought mode.

"Cassius might be interested. I can't imagine who would want to join him if he started a House. He would be useful from an armed and unarmed standpoint. And perhaps Matt. Yes. He would be an excellent ally to train my unarmed fighters, and he might even learn a little about armed. He was always lacking in that department."

"Yes, send out a memo to them. Imply to Matt that he could train fighters unarmed and gain great knowledge of swordfighting. Tell Cassius that he would be training the young minds of many fighters who would look up to him with great respect for years to come."

"We should see interesting responses from them. Who else might be available...."
Charlie Nausikaa
Adventurer
Adventurer
Location: House of Retribution in the Old Market District of RhyDin

Post by Charlie Nausikaa »

"I heard you're up to trouble. What're you doing?"

G'nort's gaze shifted up to Charlie, his lips spreading in a wide smile for her as she took a seat uninvited at his table. "Well, hello there. Trouble? Moi? Whatever do you mean?"

"HDT, Granola Bar. What do you have up your sleeve?"

"Oooh, that!" G'nort gave a chuckle. Wasn't this convenient? Now he wouldn't have to search her out and lure her into joining. He merely had to convince her there was something in it for her. "What else would I have planned? Sure, I can shape the minds of newer duelists and have their loyalty, and sure that means that we could gain a majority of the Council if they get strong enough. But really, The Arena needs to recognize greatness, and there's no greater than HDT."

Charlie drummed her fingertips against a cool bottle of Badsider in her hand. "And who exactly are your hot, young talent?"

"Well, I haven't gained anyone's services as yet. But I'm in the market, as it were. So far, Erin and Uriko are highly interested and more than likely will be joining up. I could use a hand keeping them in control. Hmm.. you might be able to do that for me." G'nort rubbed his chin absently as he eyed Charlie, feigning that the thought had suddenly fallen upon him.

The suggestion that she would work for him out of the goodness of her heart drew an amused laugh. "But why would I ever want to do that?"

"Because you adore me and like to help me as much as you can. Besides, why wouldn't you want to be part of something great again? You're already on CDR, and if you get with HDT, even better."

"Anytime anybody has ever used that 'being part of something great' line on me, it's because they wanted me to do their dirty work. I don't really play on Team Selfless." Charlie dropped her forearms onto the edge of the table and leaned forward giving G'nort a very intentional view of her cleavage. Then she asked the question he knew was coming before the conversation even began. "What's in it for me?"

G'nort wasn't the type of man to avoid his employees' breasts when they were so blatantly exposed to him. In fact, considering the female employees on the Company of the Dragon, he felt it nearly made up for their abrasive personalities. "Well, it's not like a business, or a profitable thing. It's a house. It's like--"

"Gravy Boat, you don't do anything that isn't profitable. How naive do you think me?" Charlie interrupted.

"It's about shaping the minds of newer duelists and having them worship you and look up to you. It's about having the ability to badmouth someone else's "house" and then back up the words with the entire group. Bragging rights, rivalries, challenges, mugging.. err.. maybe not so much the muggings. Sure, there could be profit involved. I haven't gone about to think of the exact ways, beyond controlling the baronies."

"I know what I want." She leaned back against the back of the chair and settled her clasped hands in her lap. There was a finality to her tone that suggested she had known exactly what she wanted from him for her services before she even sat down.

G'nort raised a brow at the undead blonde before him. Those five words out of her mouth always brought a feeling of dread. "What'll it be?"

"Pirate lessons."

Charlie's apparent seriousness coupled with the statement initially drew confusion. "You want to be a pirate?"

"I don't want to be a pirate, you idiot. It's Zach. He's always loved pirate stories. I had to come up with a new one for every visit when I went to Talsiny." Almost anxiously, Charlie reached up with both hands to tuck her hair behind her ears before continuing with her proposal. "For every month I act as your babysitter for your girls you must in return give Zach no fewer than one pirate lesson -- a full day out to sea with beards, eye patches, silly accents, and... parrots."

"Well, I haven't had a peg leg in ages. Alright then, you have to come along, as well! He wouldn't dream of enjoying a day on the sea without dear Auntie Chuckie! Make sure you dress like a stereotypical pirate wench, too."

"Understand this. I am no pirate wench." Even Charlie's most stern frown could not make the statement sound the least bit threatening.

"Maybe you can even lead the crew in a rousing verse of 'Yo ho, yo ho, A Pirates' Life For Me'?"

And, thus, with the promise of pirate lessons to a three year old, the first member of the revamped House Dragoon-Talanador was secured.
G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Post by G »

"Chuck agreed. Jewell agreed. Erin and Uriko haven't given me final word yet, but signs look positive. Sar said to ask Nova because if Nova joined, he might. Nova won't join, I'm sure." G'nort took a breath. "Cas might, but who knows. Matt seemed a bit clueless when I mentioned it to him, so there's no saying he's even sure what I asked him. Perhaps a more businesslike approach is needed there."

"Is there no one else?" Mai said, jotting down notes as she looked at him over the rims of her half moon glasses.

"Right now, I'm not sure. I don't mind getting a lot of talent, but I don't want to take it all. We will need challenges."

"Far be it for me to point out the obvious alternatives, sir. But why not take a look at the standings and see who may be interested from there? You might gain some adequate fighters." she smiled slightly, tapping her teeth with the eraser of her pencil.

"I might." He looked at her, almost indignant. Of course, now he was getting back on track to figure out where to go next.

It still didn't solve the fact that there weren't any challenging houses to compete with. How could he get that started....

How indeed...

Return to “Golden Ivy Tavern”