Dark Dreams

RhyDin home of the sorceress from Nitesong.

Moderators: Alais d Nitesong, Ulysses

Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Location: Matlal, Riverbend, I' Taurn or Nitesong, depending on time of year

Dark Dreams

Post by Alais d Nitesong »

I had been away from the Arena for a long time, and tonight I found myself desirous of the company of old friends, and I hoped to find Xenograg there. When I arrived, he was occupied with the duties of the caller, and I started to head for my sofa when Queen Teleperien’s melodious voice called to me. “Hello Alais.” Her expression was one of surprised pleasure, and the feeling was mutual.

“G’e’en Yer Majesty.” I gave her a deep curtsey before having my hand enveloped in the Queen’s own warm hand.

“It is good to see you once more,” she told me, and the feeling was mutual. I had always enjoyed Teleperien’s company, and had forgotten with all these months of war and rebuilding.

Xeno sensed my arrival and greeted me as well.

Teleperien invited me to join she and Xeno on the caller’s sofa, and since I had come to speak with Xeno, it was an offer I could not refuse. “Aye lass, Ah’d be ‘appy tae join ye.’

Xeno offered me a glass of Eldarie tea, which sounded good as well when I sat down with them both. Hubie promptly brought a third tea cup of the steaming, fragrant brew.

I got comfortable and glanced at Teleperien, “an’ prithee Teleperien, ‘ow’re thin’s in yer realm? Ah haff nae seen ye ‘n a verra long while.”

She smiled as she took a sip of the tea, “at this time, my realm is doing well. Erwyn turns 16 summers next week. And you?”

I could not believe that it had been 16 summers already since the elvish queen had given birth to the girl child who would one day succeed her. “Sixteen summers? ‘t ist most difficult tae b’lieve.” I took a sip of tea before telling her that I have been occupied in the reconstruction of Matlal, but did not feel that details were in order now.

Xeno gave me a mischievous smile, “Not as much as your own twins grown up Alais.”

I nodded, “Aye, they’ll turn 21 autumns.” That too seemed hard for me to believe.

Teleperien laughed, adding that Erwyn is as full of mischief as she had been when she was a girl, and that Xeno could attest to her assertion.

Xeno chuckled, “I find it funny hearing two Eldar comment thusly.”

I smiled. Our lives may indeed be long, but when children are concerned, it is always amazing how rapidly time progresses. “Ah’m b’ginnin’ tae feel mine years o’ late auld friend.” I lifted a brow at Teleperien, “Mischief froom th’ lass?”

Teleperien sipped her tea and listened as Xeno asked, “indeed?” As though age did not wear on elves, and I buried a smile. Time does wear on elves, especially those with darker pasts. He tried for a bit of levity then, “too much time around dragons?”

I flashed a quicksilver smile at Xeno, “mayhap th’ work wi’ such long lived creatures… aye.” Then I turned to Teleperien, “An’ sae Teleperien, wilst ye be haffin’ an’ ‘oliday d’clared fer Erwyn’s day?”
Lady Alais d' Arma Graham d' Nitesong Sidhe
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

She smiled happily, “there will be a faire and ball, of which you will be invited.” She continued on, “Erwyn and Xenograg’s Amanda have become close friends. The girls are lively and I believe the staff love them, though at times they do cause havoc.” She laughed merrily, “More than once they have ambushyed my steward Borin and planted flowers in his beard.”

I laughed at the image of her dwarven Steward with flowers in his beard, “’t wouldst haff been wondrous fer Alia Anor tae haff ‘ad a lass ‘er oon age tae grow ‘p wi’. An’ mayhap tae haff giffen Xeno a wee bit more o’ ‘avoc filled life, neh?” I chuckled, “planted flowers ‘n th’ dwarf’s beard?”

She nodded, “aye, he must enjoy the capture, he gives little resistance.” She smiled, “I believe the daisy his favorite.”

I laughed as the thought crossed my mind to have a bouquet of daisies sent to Borin. Teleperien echoed the laughter, “It would be received most gratefully.”

Xeno gave me a stern look, “Just so long as there are no daisies for your Steward, Alais.”

Teleperien chuckled as I smiled, “mayhap a bit o’ bindweed fer mine Steward?”

Xeno’s eyes widened slightly, “Please, no.”

I turned then to Teleperien, “Ye’ve nae ‘ad intrusions intae yer lands, haff ye lass?”

She looked at me somewhat surprised, “nay, that is known to me. Our borders are well guarded. It has been peaceful, but I cannot rest diligence.”

I nodded thoughtfully, “we haff one Annaran soul unaccounted fer.” I have no reason to expect Malchor to attack Eldicor, but his absence remains worrisome. I sipped the tea as Teleperien frowns. “froom th’ invasion o’ Matlal.” I told her by way of explanation.

She regarded me momentarily, “when was this person seen last?”

“Malchor was last seen aboot three months ago.” I am worrying overly much. Malchor would have no reason to go after Teleperien or Eldicor. He should in fact be long gone despite the fact that he had been last seen heading in the general direction of RhyDin. Xeno listened, but said nothing.

Teleperien stirred her tea, “Was he one of your household?”

I took a deep breath, “Malchor was one o’ Morrin’s nobles.” Her tone clearly told both Teleperien and Xeno that Malchor was dangerous, but while she didn’t expect trouble here from Malchor, she wanted them to have warning to keep vigilant.

Teleperien sighed, “I will send word to those on the borders to keep watch.”

It would not hurt to keep watch.

Xeno had pondered my words, and his comment came out somewhat sourly. “would not be a weak soul, of course.”
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Teleperien glanced at me, “I do not believe I have ever met this…. Morrin, nor Malchor for that matter. Can you conjure a likeness?”

I nodded, explaining to her that Malchor had substituted Saijon’s son when the Annaran’s were cast once again into the Hells, to reside once again in the banished land of Riverbend. “tha’ ist ‘ow ‘e didst escape our notice ‘t first.”

Teleperien’s expression clearly showed that she was not liking what she was hearing, and perhaps I am disturbing her evening needlessly.

Xeno filled in, “Morrin was… a very strong presence. Disturbingly so.”

Xeno had been with me on that first trip to Riverbend, where we had taken the shards of Morvinyon to Glum for reforging. He had been there when Morrin had come home, bearing Daemonbane, and riding his destrier Hadrian.

I nodded agreement with Xeno’s assessment, and Teleperien told us that if she was to keep watch, she would need to know what he looked like, and a conjured likeness would be helpful. Xeno lifted a brow at Teleperien, “besides him being dead?”

She gave a startled look to Xeno. “Undead?”

I closed my eyes and focused on recreating the last image I had of Malchor. My stomach twisted as his visage formed in my mind. I used Annaran spellcraft to conjure an image that both Xeno and Teleperien could see. The man was dark haired, and his eyes were lit with madness and the flames of zealotry. It was the last image I had seen of Malchor on the battlefield of Matlal.

Xeno softly said to Teleperien, “Alais would have to answer that.”

Once the image formed before the three of us, I told them that yes, as every Annaran is dead. All of them cast into the Hells where they must remain. “Soome b’came wha’ ye dae r’fer tae ‘s undead.” For me, there are distinct differences, but in other elvish minds, the walking dead are the undead.

She shuddered violently as they both studied the image of Malchor. I kept my eyes on the image, “’t was Malchor whom didst commit th’ atrocities tha’ didst cause Morrin tae curse ‘is oon people.”

Teleperien whispered, “evil”

Xeno added, “in life”. But Malchor is evil in death too.

I shifted my gaze from the image to Teleperien, “Ye’ve nae idea Yer Majesty. ‘e didst cook th’ chilcren o’ th’ vanquished an’ serve ‘em ‘pon great silver platters wi’ their mothers chained an’ beatedn tae th’ walls tae see ‘t.”

I had told her of his greatest horror not to shock her, but to let her know that border watches would be a good safeguard. She shook her head, “Nay!” She opened her eyes, “I cannot even feel such agony.” She ordered another cup of tea, her mind turning over this information. Then in a strained voice, she said, “This is RhyDin. Peace is an illusion.”

Xeno agreed, “quite”.

Teleperien glanced at Xeno, “Such a creature deserves eternal torment.”

I nodded sympathetically, “an’ Morrin didst seek tae see tae jus’ tha’ Yer Majesty. Bu’ wi’ th’ tear, Malchor escaped ‘is prison.”

Teleperien reached for her boots, pulling them on as she said she must be away and order a doubling of the guard on her borders. Xeno added that he could not imagine this is a direct threat to Eldicor, and I agree with him on that, but vigilance is never misplaced.

I frowned slightly, “Ah shall ‘ope ‘e odth nae seek oother elves.” I held Xeno’s eyes a moment, “Ah didst ‘elp cast ‘im intae ‘ell Xeno… Malchor wilst ‘ate elves fer tha’ reason.” Malchor loose is troubling, but I have no reason to expect him to focus on Eldicor. I shall hope he does not.

Teleperien rose and so did Xeno and I. Before Teleperien departed, she said, “Alais, I am glad to have seen you again. If you wish, the doors of my castle are open to you.”

I gave her a smile and promised a visit to Eldicor before too much time elapsed.

We parted for the evening, and as I returned to I’ Taurn, I hoped fervently that Xeno was right and that Malchor was far away and in hiding.

As I lay down for the night, I knew my sleep would be troubled by dark dreams.

Return to “Quiet Return”