Night time battles

RhyDin home of the sorceress from Nitesong.

Moderators: Alais d Nitesong, Ulysses

Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Location: Matlal, Riverbend, I' Taurn or Nitesong, depending on time of year

Post by Alais d Nitesong »

Xeno nodded in agreement, “me too.” But, the old dragons can do that to people. Their vastly superior ages and experiences make them impressive, and sometimes a bit contemptuous of mortal creatures. They have seen so much, how could we understand their ways? Our perceptions of time and space differ so vastly from their own. We have little in the way of intersecting points of understanding.

I was shaken from my shock at seeing Khirsah’s matching scar by Kairee. “Do you know Thoth? Or Alais? Or Khirsah?” She was speaking to a man I had never formally met before, and I dragged my attention from Khirsah to Brian.

Brian Ravenlock turned, held out a box to Kairee, “Can’t say that I have.”

Kairee proceeded to make the introductions, and I was thankful for the distraction. Brian inclined his head, “Well met.”

I smiled at Brian, “Ah haff ‘eard yer name aboot, bu’ haff ne’er met ye.” His name had been mentioned in the Inn, but this was the first time we had actually met.

Dimitri entered then, and looked at me, “Alais? Are you alright?” He had been there with Karen and I in the end, and I dropped my head, “Ah’ll ‘eal laddie.” The last thing I wanted was to open this discussion up yet again, but Dimitri continued, “I’m sorry I couldn’t have been more help.” The previous evening would leave all three of us with bad memories, and scars to bear from Vanion’s new Temple and followers.

I fidgeted again, hazarding a glance at Khirsah, “Ye didst enou’ laddie, ‘t was enou’” He let out a dragon’s growl, disagreeing with me as he said that since the new Temple did exist, it was clearly not enough. At that point, I gave him a sympathetic look, “We couldst nae stop ‘t Dimitri, there were nae enou’ o’ us.”

He muttered, “Yeah, I guess so, I’m going to try to bring that temple down from the inside.” He glanced at me before continuing, “Going to live up to my destiny that Vanion sees.”

I shook my head, “nay laddie, yer nae.” I could not see him following the path that Vanion worked so hard to convince him was his ultimate destiny.

I glanced at Khirsah, perhaps it was better for us to walk together. There were too many people entering who knew us, and I needed to know just how much Khirsah knew about last night, and to find out what had brought him out of Primordial Darkness to return to RhyDin, when even the war in the Isles had not been able to convince him to come back.

Sylus had watched us, but was speaking quietly with Xeno, “what’s the best way to throw her over my shoulder and take her home without getting fried?”

Xeno chuckled, “I have yet to find that, myself.”

Sy frowned as he rose and walked toward us, and just as I proposed to Khirsah that we leave, Sy’s hand came down lightly on my shoulder, “Alais, time to go home.”

Khirsah had just begun to ask me which road I wished to walk down, but his words were cut short by Sy’s proprietary action.

I jumped at the unexpected touch, even though it was light, “Sylus. Ah’ve need tae speak wi’ Khirsah taenigh’.” I was not prepared to give up this opportunity. He was angry, and his tone brooked no argument, but I was not about to return to I’ Taurn alone, to be with the pain, and miss the opportunity to speak with Khirsah for the first time in a very long time.

“You should be resting, not up and cavorting about.” Sy admonished.

Khirsah was angered by the intrusion, “I presume you believe you are her keeper.” It was not a question, and it boded ill for a simple end to this meeting.

I glanced at Sylus, “Ah’ll ‘eal ‘ere, ‘re elsewhere, forsooth,” Healing would not happen any faster at home, and there I would have time to dwell upon the pain. Then I glanced at Khirsah, “prithee, which road didst ye mean tae suggest?” I turned the question around to see if he would give me a clue to which path he believed should be traveled.

Khirsah’s eyes never left Sylus, “it would be wise for the young pup to mind his ways. It would not do to tell another what they can and cannot do, especially one of the Lady d’ Nitesong’s nature.”

Khirsah had the truth of it. I had never responded well to being told what I could or could not do. And right now, with my nerves stretched taught as the wire of a piano, I could not deal well with being forced to do much of anything.

Sy looked at Khirsah, “you can speak with him at I’ Taurn while you rest, now we’re heading home.” We were what?! I was not ready to return to my home!

Sylus then simply scooped me up over his shoulder, “Really Khirsah?”
Lady Alais d' Arma Graham d' Nitesong Sidhe
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

I was too shocked to say anything in that instant. He had simply manhandled me! Even Xenograg was surprised by Sylus’ action and I did my best to motion for Xenograg to remain silent. Anger rose sharply at his temerity. I wriggled then, glancing at Khirsah, hoping he wouldn’t simply send Sy into the netherworld. “Sylus ist simpla worra’d Khirsah.” Khirsah seemed to be waiting for my reply, and from where I was, it was difficult to maintain any semblance of decorum.

Khirsah’s hand clampled down on Sylus’ hand, a cold flame appeared around it. “I do believe the Lady stated she did not wish to go.”

I tried to get Sy’s attention then, “Sy, Ah’ll r’turn ‘n a bit, dinnae worra sae.”

Xeno spoke up then, as trouble was brewing quickly, “Lord Khirsah, you do understand our lady friend can be stubborn?”

Khirsah glanced at Xeno, “Stubborn is one thing, General, rudeness is another.”

I frowned at Xeno, “stubborn???”

He gave me a hard look, “You have driven me to rudeness at least once my friend,”

Sy met Khirsah’s gaze levelly, “She’s hurt and needs to be resting, not up and about, or should I show you how severe the injury is?” But Sy had no way of knowing that Khirsah already knew.

Khirsah then broke the stalemate, he opened his hand and slammed Sylus with a blast of cold flame, while his other hand shot forward and wrapped me in a bubble that kept me in place. Sylus could not have moved me no matter how hard he tried. Xeno’s voice lifted in the din, “Peace! We are all friends here!” Khirsah then set me on the ground, upon my own two feet.

Xeno felt Khirsah was over reacting, but I felt differently. I was not pleased about Sy’s attempt to force me to return to my home. And I did not appreciate being man-handled in that manner.

Sy frowned, pulling me closer, wrapping his arms around me carefully, but I reached for Khirsah’s arm tentatively with my least damaged hand, the burned flesh clearly visible now, “Prithee m’lord, le’ ‘s gae speak, ‘n thence Ah shall gae ‘ome b’fore this doth ge’ ‘ostile.” I gave Sylus a meaningful glance.

Then giving him a pleading look, “Ah’ll be alrigh’, dinnae fash yerself sae.”

Sy’s frown was deep, “I’ll believe that when you’re completely healed Alais. You push yourself too much for your own good. You have to be in bed resting. I’ll not hear anything else from you.” His look was supremely soft, but his words had made me very angry. I did not need a keeper to look after my welfare.

His look softened some, “Please? For me?”

I flinched as he took my hand, “Alais, I understand you have questions and a need to know everything that is going on, but he can come with you back to I” Taurn. I never said he could not, you can talk with him while you rest.”

I blinked in utter amazement. Had he just told me what I could and could not do in my own home? Had he just given me ‘permission’ to have Khirsah in the house? Had I truly heard him say that he’d ‘permit’ me to talk to someone while I rested? I shook my head then, “Ah’ll nae ‘urt m’sefl jus’ talkin’ tae th’ Elder. Ye worra tae much.” I was decided then that I would not be returning to I’ Taurn, at least not tonight.

Khirsah turned toward me, “let us, for I tire of the arrogance of one young and blind to your attempts to remove him from your life. Let us retire to the Isles. You will find what you need there.” He lifted a hand and offered it to me.

Sy spoke softly, “I asked you to stay in bed and heal, yet I come back to find you up and about.”

I studied Sy a moment, “Ah dae ken tha’, ye didst, bu’ Ah’m nae daein’ annathin’ tha’ wilst ‘arm me.”

Khirsah awaited my answer, and subsequently I gave it to him. “aye Khirsah.”

I softly whispered to Sy, “th’ Isle hath wha’ Ah haff need o’ Sy.” Khirsah had reminded me that upon the Emerald Isles, I could find what was needed to begin to heal my hands. And while I would not trouble Tass for such a thing, perhaps Khirsah or Garl could be of help.

As I touched Khirsah’s hand, we simply no longer existed within the reality of the Inn. We were gone.
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

I had left the Emerald Isles with the aid of the dragons there. My hands did not burn as they had and I could see the start of healing setting in. There were things I needed to do in RhyDin, and against Khirsah’s recommendation, I returned to my home on Gold Dragon Way.

The night called to me though, and I found myself returning to the Arena, and thought I’d found an empty room until I found Cory sitting at the bar with a glass of bourbon in his hand. He tipped his Stetson to me, and I found my sofa near the back of the room, careful to keep my hands from sight.

As I asked Hubie for a glass of liquid fire, Cory laughed, “Why dun’cha jus’ ask fo’ vodka?”

I chuckled softly, “b’cause Ah dae pr’fer th’ wee bit o’ orange, ‘n th’ Liquid Fire.” Then as Hubie approached, I whispered in Annaran for the glamour that would keep prying eyes from seeing the devastation to my hands.

Cory chuckled, “Tha' sounds tasty. Bu' iff'n ya wan' the taste o' orange ya can always add a splash of orange juice.”

I gingerly curled my fingers around the glass just as Sylus arrived. He was wearing a deep frown from our altercation the night before, and he headed for the bar. So much the better, I did not want another argument with him so soon.

As I savored the taste of my drink, there came a rustling sound in my thoughts, it was telepathic intrusion, and began as a low hiss that only I could hear. <<“I pray you are healing well, my lady”>>

I quickly looked around the room for the voice, but all I could see were regular patrons and the corners cast in shadows. The voice was not from any one present. Then Imp poofed in, and flailed as he saw me, “ALAIS!” He poofed into my lap for his traditional greeting, “Hey babe! How’s one of my favorite womens?” I smiled thinly as pain exploded in my hands and arms from his enthusiastic greeting.

Cory called Imp ugly, and I laughed, “’ow couldst anna call ye ugla?”

Imp grinned, “That's cause they are jealous, babe. They can't handle my blue grandiousness.” He then licked my cheek before poofing back to his couch.

My distraction by Imp did not stop me from seeking the source of the telepathic whispering, and I followed the trail.

Sylus released a slow sigh as he drifted in his own thoughts, a finger was tracing some sort of symbol on the bartop.

In that moment, the current Overlord entered, and requested a duel. Sylus and I both responded to his request simultaneously, but it was then that the intruder’s voice lifted again, only this time in a friendlier tone, “Do not fret my dear. You are safe for now. Enjoy the company of the living." What followed could only be described as a strained laugh. “You are in the company of friends.”

I shuddered at the voice in my thoughts. I had placed that voice, and it belonged to the vampire called Obsidion. The one I had wounded 2 nights previous. Revenge it is said is a dish best served cold, and this vampire had revenge in mind.
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

The Overlord had accepted my offer to step into the rings with him, and Imp called The Overtick and I to one of his rings.

Sy shook his head, but wished me luck, and I summoned Morvinyon from oblivion. As I wrapped my fingers around the hilt of the familiar blade, pain ripped through my hands. The healing was only beginning, and even Khirsah’s efforts would not stand up well to the wire wrapped hilt. I leveled Morvinyon at Damien as we began our dance.

The first round showed me just what I mistake I had made by accepting the invitation, and I went down hard into the sand. As my hand hit the ground, I could not suppress the yelp of pain, and I heard Sylus mutter, “so stubborn.”

I rose then, uncurling my fingers enough to see blood coloring the hilt of Morvinyon. It was a good thing I was not wielding Daemonbane, for the blood would have made the sentient blade nearly uncontrollable. I could feel Sylus’ gaze studying me, and the wolven nature he carried would know that I had opened up my hands again.

What I did not know was that Obsidion had made the connection between Sylus and I, and was now working on him. The vampire would use any means to inflict pain, and including those I cared about would make them fair game for the brutal methods vampires have no qualms about employing.

Obsidion then slithered back into my thoughts, <<”day by day I learn more that will lead to your demise.”>>

I bowed to the Overlord at the conclusion of our match, and sent Morvinyon into oblivion before the scent of blood could bring Obsidion in the flesh. Then I headed back to my sofa, settling there and closing my eyes to focus on the pain.

Sylus rose from his spot at the bar, making his way toward me with a small ceramic container as he muttered, “the things we endure for love.”

I opened my eyes as he approached, and he shook his head as he knelt before me, “I’m sorry about last night, Alais. I went too far, let my concern over rule me.” He opened the container, and inside was a pale, off white balm. “I bought this today, it’s a healing cream that helps with burns.”

I quirked a brow at him warily, “Aye, ye didst gae tae far, bu’ Ah dae thank ye fer bein’ concerned.” I kept the glamour in place, pulling my hands deeply into the robes. I had already had the ministrations of the dragons, and Xeno’s healing balm. And I suspected this might be one of Artemus’ creations, and I still want nothing to do with Sylus’ brother.

He nodded slightly, “I love you with everything I’ve got Alais, but sometimes you make it hard to do.” He scooped up a bit of the cream, and reached for my hand ever so carefully. “May I please see your hands, Alais?” He remained where he was with an air of patience that had been lacking the night before.

The voice of the vampire resumed its taunting manner, “You are human after all. You show caring for others. Disassociate yourself from them and perhaps you will continue to gaze upon their eyes." Another throaty laugh followed, and I shuddered. Thinking so only the vampire would hear, <<Ah’m nae ‘uman’s ye thin’.>> If the vampire thought I was human, he was in for a very big surprise.
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

I blinked as Sy waited for me to present my hands and shook my head, “Nay, nae ‘ere m’dear, nae ‘ere.” He frowned, and then shrugged as he returned the container to his bag of holding. I softened my expression, “Ah’m sorra Sy, bu’ Ah dinnae wish tae r’move th’ glamour.”

He said he understood, but his expression was at odds with his words as he took a seat beside me. “If it’s not too bold to ask, what’s got you jumpier than a cat in a dog pound?” His words were overly solicitous, and I did not care for this shift in his dealings with me.

I told him that I had attracted a telepathic stalker, and he rolled his eyes, “everyone needs at least one. This stalker have a name?”

Obsidion’s voice threaded into Sy’s thoughts, “You may call me Brother.”

Sy glanced around the room then, “I don’t even call my sibling that, any other name I can use?”

I gingerly reached for the crystal snifter as I answered him, “Obsidion.” As my fingers touched the glass, they left a hint of crimson.

Sy leaned back into the sofa lazily, “well now, this should make things interesting. Been a while since I’ve played this kind of game.” He looked at my hand holding the glass, “At least let me take care of that, if nothing else?”

I followed where his gaze rested and frowned, “Ah mus’ haff opened ‘t whence Ah dueled.” But I did not permit him to touch the wounded appendage.

He shook his head and murmured, “must have.”

The intrusion from Obsidion ceased for a time, but I could feel eyes upon me as we sat there watching the duels. Apparently Sylus felt it too as he leaned closer, “Ohh, I’m really going to enjoy this dance, reminds me of my former life.”

A cold shudder whispered up my spine then. “Ah’m nae enjoyin’ this. Ah’ve neffer ‘ad a vampire swear tae ‘taste’ me b’fore.”

He laughed merrily, “I have, not something I recommend, though some enjoy it.”

I smiled then, “bu’ Ah didst wound th’ creature soundla!” I could still hear his scream of rage and pain as the silver dagger had sliced into the shadows where he lurked two evenings ago.

Sy shifted subjects then, “I know I've probably asked this before..but can I move one of my portable forges to the house? So I can bring some of my work home with me?”

I canted my head at that and asked him how soon he had in mind. Several things went through my mind then, but foremost was why he wanted to do so now. Why when Ulysses has only just returned did he seek to bring his new found passion into my home?
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

He continued then, “I can have one there tomorrow afternoon. But I wasn't gonna bring it over withought making sure it wouldnt' ruin your decorating scheme.” He snickered, “I think I was a Dwarf in another life given how much I love working the metal in my forges and shaping all manner of things with my hands and hammer.”

I pondered his question a moment, there was not really any place for such a forge, “Ah've nae real good place fer such Sy, there ist nae forge 't I' Taurn. Wha' if we dae se' up a forge 'n town fer ye?” The area where we lived would not much appreciate the noise and smoke from such a hobby either, I felt fairly certain, and I know the wild life would move away from the grounds.

He chuckled, “Artemus owns a silversmith and jewelry shop in town, the main forge is there. I have a few others I want to get out of the tower and set up in the home where I feel more like I belong. He makes decorative trinkets for all manner of citizen, I make tools, weapons, and armor for who wants them. It's turning out to be a steady income. Not that I need it, the work is what I enjoy.”

I nodded thoughtfully, “Ah see. bu' Ah dinnae ken where tae put such a thin'.”

He shrugged then, “Forget I asked then.” But then he had another approach, “Does I'Taurn have any sublevels, like basements?”

I wondered why he did not simply move from Artemus’ building into his own and work there before telling him that I’ Taurn did not have basements or sublevels. They are simply harder to protect, and given the size of the house, there had been no reason to expose ourselves to underground attack. It was then that Obsidion’s voice intruded again, “You speak as though you are familiar with this male. I would love to see how you react to his tainting with our disease."

I paled hearing the vampire, <<Leave 'im oot o' this Obsidion, 'e ist nae part o' our quarrel>>

Sy nodded then, “Don't worry about it then. And I don't mind sharing a shop with my brother.

Obsidion’s chuckle was mirthless, “Any associated with you is part of my quarrel with you, my lady."

I shook my head, although the vampire was not here to see it, <<Yer expandin' 't b'yond where ye shouldst. 't was Ah tha' wounded ye, an' shall again. >> He then brushed along Sy’s neck, telling him “You are swollen with the gift of life. I will enjoy hearing your dearests' cries of mercy as I leave you an empty shell."

The sensation of Obsidion’s presence vanished, and I shivered before noticing that a small crimson stain was spreading on my sleeves where I had been holding onto the inside of the robes. Sy laughed softly, “Boy, is he in for a surprise.”

Sy had pulled me to him for a kiss that was meant to stop the world, and then slowly pulled back, “Now..lets go home Alais, so I can work some magic of my own and heal you. With this new threat...I'm making myself your shadow.”

I rose from the sofa, “Ah dinnae haff need o’ a shadow m’dear.” And headed for Jesse. We would have another duel, and summoning Morvinyon from oblivion I prepared to enter the rings one last time tonight. As my hand closed around the wire bound hilt, the glamour failed completely, and Jesse gave me a dubious look.
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Sy sighed, shook his head, “Uh huh, Peter Pan said the same thing.”

I turned to look at Sylus, “whom?”

Sy pushed his glass aside, “I’ll read the story to you later.”

About then, Karen Wilder made her way into the Arena. She was moving stiffly, and her right hand was bandaged, but otherwise she seemed none the less for wear.

Jesse and I were called to our ring, and I did not have an immediate chance to speak with her, “that’s us toots, don’t worry, I promise I’ll take it easy on you.” His wry grin promised me that he would do his very best to best me this night. Jesse then cracked his knuckles, “alright toots, let’s see what you’ve got.”

As Jesse and I began our match, Xenograg walked in. He was dressed in light blue, knee length topcoat with a yellow sash around the waist, brown trousers, and black boots. He also had a wide, gilt swordbelt that suspended a wooden scabbard as he greeted everyone present.

But Xeno’s joviality was dampened when Vincent arrived. Vincent, the man who was a member of the Temple of Divine Light, and had gone in against everyone’s feelings about that place. Vincent had greeted Xeno as “The Liberator.” And Xeno had repeatedly asked him not to do that. Xeno turned away from him and walked toward Commander Wilder.

My duel with Jesse was taking more out of me than I thought it would, and as I panted for breath, I noticed several drops of blood falling from the hilt of Morvinyon into the sand. Sy had noticed too, and I quickly returned my focus to Jesse.

Sy rose and approached Xeno, “I us, swallowed a bit of pride and apologized to her for going too far last night.” Xeno smiled, and told him it was a wise action.

I concluded the match against Jesse with a fast slash right through his fancy parry to secure the win, and quickly sent Morvinyon back into Oblivion. Xeno’s voice reached me through the haze of pain, “Well done, Overlord, especially on the mend.” Blood dripped steadily from my fingers as I slid my hands back inside the robe’s sleeves. “g’e’en Xeno.”

Both Karen and Cory sent congratulatory comments as I approached Karen for a brief discussion with her, and unfortunately intruded upon her discussion with Rena. I had not meant to drive off the woman, but it was imperative that I warn Karen about Obsidion.

Xeno followed and approached Karen and I as Karen told Rena that she had been shot in the hand, and received a couple of cracked ribs. Rena saw me standing there, and nodded as she moved away. I gave the Commander a nod, “Mayst Ah haff a wee moment o’ yer time?”

She nodded, “certainly.” Xeno and Sylus joined us then.
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

“Ah mus' needs warn ye lass, one o' th' vampires ist oot tae take r'venge 'pon us.” There was no point in mincing words. The woman has seen her share of fights and battles.

Xeno gave me a puzzled look, “revenge for what?”

I turned toward Xeno, “fer my woundin’ ‘im th’ oother eve.”

Karen glanced between Xeno and I, “I imagine ye’ve seen th’ new temple ‘cross from th’ Temple o’ Divine Light?” She then shot me a grin, “Fortunately, it’s me right ‘and thet got hurt since I fight with me left.”

Xeno nodded at Karen, “yes, that night,” he’d ridden in after a formal affair in Barsi. But then he made the mental leap, “You two were there?”

I nodded as well, “Guard yerself well lass.” I did not want her taken by surprise with Obsidion clearly out for blood, and perhaps more. Xeno’s putting two and two together brought a flinch.

Karen then added, “Aye... ifin it weren't fer Vanion's stooges, we might've been able tae stop 'im.”

He frowned, “I should have been there.”

Sylus gave us a disbelieving blink, “The two of you went against Vanion..alone..and without proper back up?” He gave us a look that said we had both grown second heads or something equally bizarre.

Vincent then sat up and took more notice of our discussion as Xeno commented that he had seen the blood in the streets, and asked how many had died.

Karen shook her head, “I told th' patrols tae keep away an' protect the citizens... They wouldnae 'ave been much help, I think. And I think much o' th' blood was Dimitri's... He kept throwin' 'imself intae th' fray, well beyond sensibility”

Sy turned to Karen, “Considering that Vanion used to drop off the bodies of young children on the Temple steps I'm surprised the followers of the Temple of Divine Light didn't come out en masse.”

There had been 4 zombie children there, and as I told Sylus that, Vincent spoke up, “We decided that for now, we're neutral towards them. Unless of course, they become a nuisance.”

Xeno and Karen both glanced at Vincent then. “There’s th’ answer tae thet.”

About then, the door opened and in walked the subject of the current state of affairs. Vanion.

Karen told us that the Templars felt that should any vampire break the law, they would be treated the same way as any law breaker. That murder was murder, no matter who commits it. And I have to agree with her, but the vampires do not have the same views on life and death; which is why they have been hated and feared for so long.

I nodded at Karen, “watch yerself lass” and turned to Xeno, telling him that I would appreciate his joining me at I’ Taurn at his convenience to discuss the events of the Temple’s raising with him away from prying ears. He nodded and I dissipated into a column of silvery mist to return home. There were things I needed to do before he arrived.

No sooner had I treated my hands with the salve he’d given me than I was told I had a visitor, and Xeno was ushered in. We spend the next hours discussing what had transpired, and how Karen and I came to stand alone that night against Vanion and his new army. It was a long night as we considered our options.
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

The pain was abating, whatever Khirsah had done had eased that, and the ointment Xenograg had provided was helping as well. I could flex my fingers, though with pain, and the raw and burned flesh was filling in, though was not completely healed, and certainly would not support holding a sword hilt without tearing the mending tissue to shreds. I went to the Annex not with the intention of dueling, but with the hope of seeing Xenograg after he had some time to consider what I had told him about the rise of the Temple of Myr’Khul, and Vanion’s actions that night.

As I arrived, I headed for my old sofa near the back, and heard the object of my concern seeking matches with Warlords. I settled onto the sofa, casting a glamour over my hands before conjuring a glass of Liquid Fire. Sylus was busy calling, and I sat a moment in peace and savored the taste of my drink.

Xenograg must have felt my arrival, for he rose and moved in my direction, and I invited him to join me. He elected to do so, and as he sat, Lorance inquired about Queen Teleperien, whom I learned was in Eldicor, and unavailable of late. I asked him how things were going, knowing the Queen did like to keep tabs on what was going on in RhyDin, and he told me that the last of Vanion’s taint had finally been removed. I was very glad to hear that. I know she suffered greatly from the kidnapping and subsequent torture she had endured at his and Iggy’s hands.

Xeno sat with his glass, and leaned closer, asking softly how my hands were doing. I frowned and told him that the fire the vampiric Oracle had used had been magical, and very powerful, but the healing was progressing. He wondered if I needed another healing potion, or perhaps Queen Teleperien herself, but I would not impose upon the Queen for such a thing, especially since she had only recently been healed of her own travails. “Ah haff used th' potion ye didst giff me, bu'...” I did not finish but rather let him see the extent of the damage to my hands, lifting the glamour for a moment. He frowned deeply as he inspected them, and inquired if Oracle was his title. I explained that I believed it was his race, before his taint with vampirism.

As the glamour settled once again over my hands, I picked up the glass, swirling the liquid a moment before asking Xeno how things had been during my absence. I had not had an opportunity to catch up on events in RhyDin, and I knew that Xeno would know the things of importance to share in a short period of time. He told me that too much had happened, and I lifted a sable brow at him, inquiring if there was anything I could assist in, but he shook his head, “No, it is over.”

I gave him a puzzled look, “o’er? Prithee, wha’ ist o’er?” It was the way he had said it that gave whatever it was a gravity that I knew affected me in important ways, the question now, was what had transpired during my absence that weighed so heavily on his mind?

He sipped his wine a moment, then very softly, so as not to be overheard told me, “I have dealt with Legendazona… permanently.” He took another sip of his watered wine. The fact that he did not call her “Grace”, nor “High Priestess” spoke volumes. The ghost and he had crossed paths once too often, and a frission of apprehension slithered along my spine.

“’ow?” It was all I could muster at that moment.

His voice remained low, “not in public. She pushed me too far, and I did what I had to do.” He reached then and slowly pulled his Rouwanwood scabbard from its belt suspenders, and set it upon the table before me. It was partially carved with runes and symbols, many of which I recognized, and there were three gemstones and a single hexagonal bronze disk. The craftsmanship was very nice, not the elegance of elven work, but finely crafted none the less, and I ran my hand just above the scabbard, testing the magical properties without actually touching the piece. I lifted my eyes to his as my hand approached the bronze hexagon. He surreptitiously tapped the disk and withdrew his and, casting a quick look around the Annex to see whom else may have taken note. My finger tips lightly touched the disk, and there was an instantaneous backlash. I distinctly heard the screams of rage, “Let me out!”

Closing my eyes, I said a quick prayer to the Goddess, “she willnae suffer?” I did not want my old friend to suffer, never that, despite her attempts on me, and my children. Xeno shook his head, other than rage at being trapped, Legend was in no danger, and he told me, “Her curse was the inability to change, willingly or not. How could she be any different now?”

I sighed, “She was strong 'n 'er beliefs Xeno.” To which he replied that he had no quarrel with her beliefs, but as I learned form him, she had violated his personal sanctum, and managed to get to Barsi, with threats to his family. I understood now why Xeno had done as he had, and knew that Legend would be safely locked away where her vengeance would not surface ever again.

About then, Dmiitri walked in, and looked around. He spotted Xeno and I and walked toward us. “Hullo there.” And I bade him join us, I did not wish to speak more of Legend’s fate in such a public place.

But Xeno added one last thing, “I never hated her until after she was dead Alais. I pity her too.” That explained his use of her name rather than her titles, and I understood his pity. She had been unable to adjust, and her hatred of half elven beings had driven her to expulsion by the Goddess from the Holy Mountain, and she had chosen to vent her frustration on Xeno in my absence. I reached out my lesser burned hand, resting it lightly against Xeno’s fore arm. I knew he had not hated her, and what she had done was simply more than he could stand. He took the sheathed blade and scabbard and re-hung it from his belt, “So, I have another legacy for Amanda.” He gave a shrug, but he was leaving his daughter with the potential for a very vengeful ghost should she ever be set free.
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

We greeted Dimitri as he sat down, and then I asked Xeno why it was Amanda who would inherit this legacy rather than one of his sons. He told me that only Amanda was his apprentice, and we tacitly agreed to change the subject.

Then turning to Dimitri, I asked him how he was healing. He had taken a fair amount of damage from Vanion during the Temple’s rising, but he appeared to be in reasonably good shape for his mis-adventure. He muttered, “I’m sorry I couldn’t have been more help. It is just that damned flute.

I smiled understandingly, “dinnae fash yerself Dimitri. We could nae 'aff stopped Vanion tha' night.” We had been taken unawares by Vanion’s intentions, and even had all of Karen’s Hospitalers and Templars shown up, I doubt we could have kept the Temple of Myr’Khul from rising in our midst.

Xeno agreed, “Alais is right, Dmitri. Even if I had been there.” He had ridden into RhyDin shortly after the events, and seen the blood in the streets, but even with his help, we would not have been likely to succeed.

Sylus finished his volunteer shift and rose, leaving Rena with the rings in her care as he walked toward us. He leaned down and kissed my cheek before heading for the back room to change. It was then that Vanion’s voice rose again, still seeking Warlords. He looked directly at Xeno and I, as if he’d heard our discussion, and knowing the hearing of a Vampyre, he probably did. He called out to us, his voice cold and cutting into our conversation, “Would either of you care to duel?”

Xeno promptly told him no, and I curled my fingers experimentally. I could not let the man know the extent of my injuries, and that right now, I would not be able to hold a blade for anything. “Perhaps after my discussion with the General.” Buy time, and hope he departed before he remembered to ask me again. Xeno’s brow lifted, as though I were crazy to consider such a match, but my reasoning was not to appear weak or afraid of the Vampiric Elf. He knew I had been wounded, but to show weakness now was to invite an attack from a shark such as he.

Vanion smiled a predator’s smile, showing the long canines, “Perhaps we could all discuss it - together.”

So he had heard our discussion. I frowned at him, “Ah dinnae thin' ye'd li' th' topic o' discussion.” He disagreed and told me he was certain that he would very much enjoy our discussion, but I was not of a mind to have him join our company. Xeno listened silently as Vanion and I exchanged verbal fencing before I turned back to Xeno, and Sylus who had just joined us after changing out of his uniform.

Sy was fascinated by Xeno’s new scabbard, “That yours?” Xeno nodded and told him it was his new toy. “:: I know you have an extensive collection of blades...but if you need a fresh one made specifically for that scabbard let me know.” Sylus was very much enjoying his new found hobby in the forge, and his offer was genuine, but at the moment, Xeno had a loaned elven blade sheathed there.

I then asked Xeno, “:: Ah dae see tha' yer nae carryin' th' Ostego blade, doth tha' mean ye've nae been able tae talk sense intae th' Temple o' Divine Ligh'?” Since he was still using a blade loaned to him by Teleperien, I could only surmise that the Temple had not seen fit to return his Ostego blade.

He shook his head, “There have not been any negotiations. Marchioness Triberg suggested I make another attempt via a third party.” His expression was dour as he added, “I have no hope for success, but is worth trying.”
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Vincent glared at me then, “He's always been welcome to have it. He just needs to show the initiative.”

I lifted silver gaze to Vincent and simply shook my head, “Ye've nae r'turned wha' doth b'long tae 'im as 'e hath r'quested. an' decency wouldst dictate ye dae.” The Temple held Xeno’s blade despite his repeated attempts to reclaim his property Vanion took a sudden interest in our discussion as he turned around to listen unabashedly.

“We consider the blade a sacred relic, and it would not be within our beliefs to part with it any other way.”

I gave him a skeptical look, “'t ist th' property o' one whom hath nae gifted ye wi' 't. Ye've stolen property tha' doth nae b'long tae ye.” Xeno softly corrected me, advising that it had not been stolen, but rather lost in the battle. The Temple however had found it, and knew to whom it belonged, and refused to return it. To me, that was simply unacceptable. I glanced at Xeno then, “Ye've r'quested th' r'turn, haff ye nae? Didst ye giff 't tae th' Temple?” I knew he had not gifted the Temple with his blade, and it was to drive the point home to Vincent that it was no gift, and holding it was unethical. Further they wanted Xeno to come alone, and that simply reeked of being a set up.

Xeno shook his head, it had not been a gift, “They are not interested in the still-standing monetary reward for its return.”

Vincent sighed, “The alone part isn’t really an issue. Heck, bring an army for all I care.”

Xenograg nor I were reassured by Vincent’s rebuttal.

“There ist nae reason 'e shoulds haff tae coome tae collect wha' ist 'is. Ye ken well enoug' where th' Dojo ist, ye couldst r'turn 't, bu' as ye haff said, 't ist a relic yer nae willin' tae part wi', sae e'en doth 'e coome, ye'd nae giff 't tae 'im, there ist nae point tae 'is coomin' tae yer trap.” I was weary of the Temple’s adamant refusal to return property that did not belong to them, and which had been claimed by the rightful owner. Xeno sighed, “An impasse, as has been the case since the beginning.”

Vincent gave me a reason to laugh next, “My personal assurances Alais, if he shows, he will get it.” Oh, yes, have Xeno walk into the Temple to claim his blade, and have someone run him through with his own blade! The Temple’s interest in having Xeno claim it himself simply reeked of entrapment.

I gave him a disdainfilled look, “Ah didst trust yer 'personal assurances' once Vincent, ne'er again.” He had once said the same thing to me, just before he entered the service of that vile Temple. I would never again trust him. Never.

He chuckled, “I suppose that’s warranted. Although, you still have my package I hope?” He had left me with a package that was safely stored away, but given his change I could not foresee a reason to remove it and do as he’d requested.

I turned resolutely once again toward Sy and Xeno, but was experimentally testing the fingers of my right hand. Xeno had finished his watered wine and rose, “It is getting late, and I should get home.”

I bade him fair travels as he departed, and thanked him for letting me know what had happened to my friend and mentor. He nodded, “She could not find you. She harassed me so I would tell her. She miscalculated badly.” All I could do was nod in agreement. He had done what needed to be done. Though it weighed heavily on his heart.

I frowned and picked up the glass again. Sylus and Vincent were exchanging words, and I began to think of returning home myself. Vincent claimed he had not kidnapped nor tortured, nor caused random chaos, but to me, vile is vile, no matter the wrappings.

Vanion how ever was not about to forget his challenge to me. He turned to me once again after finishing his glass of blood wine, “So, the General is gone. Duel?”

I took a deep breath, uncurling my fingers slowly and trying to cover the wince of pain before glancing at Vanion. “Magic then?” I could cast, but not hold a sword. He shook his head. “No, make me a Baron.” So, that was the reason he sought me for a match so ardently, he needed to defeat a Warlord. And I was his chosen target.

Dimitri perked up, “Alais? What is going on?” I glanced at Dimitri and told him that Vanion was seeking a duel against me, and he paled slightly, “Don’t fight him. He is going to do something.” Dimitri was adamant that I not get in the ring with him.

Vanion scoffed, “Dimitri cannot make me a Baron Alais, you can.”

I raised a brow at him, “Ye thin’ Ah’d make ye a Baron?” He was very confident about the outcome.

He smiled slowly as Dimitri again told me not to do it. “Well, you would be the magic number, yes.”

I glanced down at my hand again as Vincent spoke up, “I say do it Alais. Prove him wrong. Get him worked up and smash his hopes for tonight when you win.” I bit my lip. I could not hold Morvinyon, let alone take the assaults I knew Vanion would be certain to dish out.

He smirked, “Why are you hesitating? I promise I will not bite.”

I quirked a brow at Vanion then. “Ye wouldst nae li' what ye tasted were ye tae dae annathin' sae foolish Vanion.” I had enough of the Annaran influence that should he indeed seek my blood, he would be in for a very nasty surprise.

He laughed, “You’re right. You are far too old for my tastes.” His reference to his many slaughter of female children rankled, but tonight I could not meet him with blades in hand. But, my time would come, and I would seek retribution for those innocents.

I rose then, looking Vanion in the eyes, “Soome s''prises 're best left as they are.” I would let him ponder those thoughts as I whispered in Annaran and departed for my home, leaving behind only a column of sparkling silver.
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

My discussion with Xenograg was disturbing. Legend had died hating my children, but she had always focused on them. Why had she suddenly turned on Xeno? What had prompted the Druidess to go after an outsider to our world?

I sat on the balcony overlooking the grounds of I’ Taurn pondering these things.

She had never accepted Ulysses, and when news of our children reached her, she had tried to poison me, and kill them, but she had died shortly thereafter.

We had had years of peace from her ghost. Years of quiet in which Telemachus and Alia Anor had grown to young adults, ready to step into the world in their own rights. What had broken those years of quiet?

The night creatures were going about their business of feeding and hunting as I considered what may have triggered her return now, in this point in time. Each potential reason I dismissed as simply too absurd. She had been unbending in life, and certainly in death, but what had brought the woman back now?

Alia Anor was no danger to her sense of right and wrong, she was buried within the confines of that Temple. There was no fear of her taking the reins of Nitesong. Telemachus was old enough and doing a fine job of managing the Sidhe, but he had no wife, and no children to further taint Legend’s notions of right and wrong. She had not known of Ulysses return, so it could not be the return of my Lifemate that had set her upon this course.

What then?

The dogs joined me in the coolness of the night air. Myr laying at my feet as I considered the actions that had driven Xenograg to his entrapment of my old friend. Legend had moved into his Dojo, and committed the ultimate sin of violating his private sanctum and using his mirror to travel to Barsi and threaten his family on their homelands.

Why?

Vengeance? Spite? Retribution? None of it made any sense.

Ozy landed on the railing of the balcony, and I nodded to him. It was the first time I had seen him since Ulysses return. They had spent a great deal of time on Jacynth, and it was almost as if they were giving me the space to resolve the chaos in my heart.

I asked Ozy then if he could make sense of the High Priestess’ actions. He is capable of considering such permutations and calculating the odds for each possibility, but I did not truly expect a solution from him.

Ozy blinked his golden eyes at me. “Lady Alais, the most probable reason for her return now is that she has only now become capable of doing physical damage. It took her that long to develop the strength as a spirit to do more than keen and wail.”
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Confusion would be the best way to describe my thoughts and emotions for these last days; torn in four directions simultaneously, with no resolution in any direction. I pondered the irony of that, four roads, four choices, and the prime four directions that are used to praise the Goddess herself. Four cardinal directions my life could take. Four radically different outcomes depending on the direction I set me feet to travel.

I walked for some time around RhyDin, aimlessly for the most part, but ultimately I found myself near the Red Dragon, and it had been within the walls of the Red Dragon that I had met Ulysses so long ago, and again upon his return. It was there that I found myself seeking the table in the corner near the fireplace, and silently making my way toward it. I seated myself and curled up with a glass of Liquid Fire, content to remain solitary with just my thoughts for companionship, but it did not take long before I heard Artemus in the room. I glanced his direction, and found him with a woman he seemed very fond of. Good, he would not intrude upon my solitude.

Kairee arrived, and I greeted her, but other than that, had maintained my silence as I pondered my situation. The flames radiated heat, and inexplicably I needed the warmth they provided. It was not long after that I felt the presence of the Eldest. He made his way through the doors of the Inn, and his silk clothing whispered nearly silently, but enough to raise the hair on my arms, he was moving in my direction. I glanced up at him, he was unchanged from the other evening, with the exception that at his side was a sword that could only be described as ‘ordinary’ when everything else about the dragon was extraordinary. Very softly, I bade him good evening, and asked if he would care to join me, since his focus was solely upon me, he had not come for chat with the locals.

I heard Artemus explaining to the woman he was with that there were only three women in his life, one being his daughter, and then a surprise as he said, “The other you've seen, That's my brother's fiancé.” I glanced his direction before once more focusing on Lord Khirsah. But Artemus’ snorted then in response to the woman’s question, “She'd rather fry me I think, :: I haven't always been the person you know me to be. I said things about my brother that I should not have...and I doubt I'll ever get the chance to take them back.”

Khirsah had moved through the crowd and made his way to my table as he took the chair I had offered him. “goodevening, Lady d'Nitesong.” Always formal and proper with me was Lord Khirsah. Always.

Artemus shook his head in response to the woman, “Be that as it may...my comments got a bell-ringing slap out of her. But a person cannot go through life without at least a few regrets. They come part and parcel with living.”

I tried to tune out Artemus then, focusing on Khirsah, and tried to remember if I had ever seen him with a drink, but could not recall that I had ever seen him ingest anything, and finally gave up and inquired whether he would like something. He did not. Then I commented about his continuing presence in RhyDin, and his answer sent a chill down my spine, “there are certain.. matters.. which require my attention.”

I sat quietly studying the old dragon, “Ye’ve changed m’lord.” He had, his coloring, his appearance, and even his demeanor has been altered by his time in the Primordial Darkness, but it was his presence here that seemed most out of character and place. Khirsah had seldom left the Emerald Isles in the past. And had gone into Primordial Darkness and could not be recalled. Why was he now here in RhyDin? What task did he see important enough to be here? I glanced at him, “prithee, wha' didst 'appen tae ye there?”

His expression didn’t change except for a slight quirk to his lips as his voice held an almost toying tone, “Have I?” He remained otherwise impassive as he asked me back, “what happens to one anywhere?”

“Change” I answered. Khirsah did not usually answer straight forward questions. He was more likely to ask you a question in return. Make you think about your own question in another way.

He simply sat watching me, “and why does one change?”

That was a query I did not want to answer, and I shifted topics, “Haff ye seen th’ younger?” I had not heard whether or not Tass had ever found his daughter, and perhaps if Khirsah had seen Tass, he would have news of her where abouts. But, true to Khirsah’s view on things, the child had never been lost in her view. She knew where she was the entire time, she was only lost to us while she protected herself from Malchor and his army during their inhabitation of the islands. And again, there was that toying tone of voice with a hint of a smile twitching at the corner of his lips.

There came three knocks beneath the counter, and then the wood groaned as Braxeus arrived already seated next to Kairee at the bar, and I had to smile. They made quite a pair. His crimson stare shot my direction, and he nodded greetings before focusing intently on his lady love.

Khirsah had waited patiently, “and of yourself?”

I glanced quickly at my hands, “Ah’m well enou’, thank ye.” My wounds were healing slowly, but they were healing. I would bear scars, and for elves, that meant the injury had been serious indeed.
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

He looked askance at me, “are you? I see you still standing at the cross roads, unsure of which of the four paths to take.”

My eyes snapped to his, “Ye haff th’ ri’ o’ ‘t m’lord.” How had he known? How did he choose the same 4 roads I had seen?

“Then you are not well,” came his simple answer.

I shook my head slightly, “we all haff choices tae make m'lord, 'n one o' those choices hath nae realla giffen me tha' road tae take. Sae mayhap there 're oonla three roads.” One road was no choice at all in reality.

He simply regarded me, “are they suppose to do such? I had thought that they were only supposed to be choices.. and it is you who is to decide which is best.. and there are four.. now.”

I gave him a long look, had he said what I thought he had? Was he opening that road? “soome roads haff barriers tha' cannae be crossed, 'n soome 're more difficult tae find.” Khirsah was well hidden and shrouded in darkness and mystery.

“all roads do, but that does not stop one from moving forward.. and those that are difficult to find are that way only because you do not see,” he told me quite plainly.

I chuckled softly, “Or b'cause they haff deliberately been occluded.” I took a sip of my liquid fire, for certainly he had maintained such occlusion.

“Have they?” He could be simply maddening.

I involuntarily glanced at the line in my hand, “aye,” and then I took a silent sip of my drink, regarding Khirsah over the rim of the glass. Aye, one road had been significantly occluded.

He returned my regard long moments, “so, what is it you wish to ask?”

I smiled, “There're manna thin's, Ah've a great curiosity m'lord aboot th' Darkness 'n wha' ye didst learn froom th' books.” I felt safer speaking of other things rather than the Elder dragon road that has been so well hidden. He gave a nod, as though he too realized that I was dancing around the question, and I continued, “'n wha' didst 'appen tae th' third.”

He gave me an odd look, “nothing happened to the third.”

I canted my head, “'t didst seem tae r'main wi' ye much longer thence th' first two.”

He had told me the same when I had reached for him before, “were you truly ready for it?”

I looked into his eyes, “Efferathin' Annaran ist gone.” Everything that had mattered to me from that world was now gone. Morrin, Daemonbane, the three books, it was all gone.

He nodded slightly, “I know and then again, no it isn't.”

I gave him a surprised look, “th' thin's tha dae matter 're gone.” I meant Morrin, but he questioned that, and I told him that to my way of thinking, yes, everything was gone.

He gave me a sage look, “: I am not the one to answer that.. for it was you who has stated that everything Annaran that mattered was gone, so, again I ask, Lady d'Nitesong.. do you not matter?”

I smiled at him then, “M'lord, ye 're verra like yer broother. Ah'm nae Annaran, Ah'm oonla touched wi' bits o' Annaran, enou' tae tie me tae Morrin 'n 'is world.”

“the blood of it runs through you, even if it is only a drop. that is enough to make you such, is it not?” He continued to press me to admit my Annaran ties, and that in fact, not ‘everything’ Annaran was gone.

“'t doth, bu' Ah was speakin' o' Morrin. bu' 'e ist gone.“ I had been mainly referring to Morrin, but Khirsah never limits himself in such a way, and I decided to test his meaning.

„He has always been such,“ came Khirsah’s response. While I had respected Morrin, he truly was not ever one of the roads before me.
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

I shifted in my chair, curling my legs beneath me, “Nay, nae one o' mine roads. Wouldst ye tell me aboot th' Darkness m'lord?” He had astutely pointed out that Morrin was never was a road before me, and once more Khirsah was trying to get me to address the issue that had driven my restless feet here tonight.

“so what decisions have you come to, concerning these four roads?” He actually managed a smile as I had sought to change the subject, and I shook my head, telling him perhaps the road alone was the best road to take. He lifted a brow then at me, “and would this solve the dilemma? or would it make it worse?”

I pondered that, “Bu' ye've seen manna more aeons thence effen th' long lived elves dae, ye mus' needs haff 'n opinion.” Perhaps he would give me some insight into his feelings, but he simply agreed that everyone has opinions. So I pointedly asked, “wilst ye giff me yer opinion thence?”

His lips twitched slightly, “one is the loneliest number.”

“ 't ist lonela, bu' ye've been tha' way longer thence anna.” If anyone could relate to many years alone, it was Khirsah. He had seen aeons and remained alone. When he agreed that he had been, I asked him “sae 't mus' nae be unbearable?”

He simply watched me then, and under his scrutiny I shifted, then he softly pressed, “so still you are faced with four roads.”

I took a deep breath, “Nae realla, Ah dae see three.” There was no point in thinking I could go through life alone. I had experienced the great joy of having my one true lifemate. I had had the joy of meeting someone who could touch my heart after a lifemating, but not my soul, and in Khirsah I had found a soul who could touch my soul, and that fourth road just did not seem a logical direction at all.

He simply said, “I see.” And I gave him a wry laugh, telling him that I hoped he saw the right thing, and not the closure of a door.

He shifted slightly then, “They are all such, in their individual way, which is right for you?”

Artemus had earlier tried to reach me telepathically. He had used a gentle, questioning touch, but I had maintained an icy wall that I was unwilling to open to him. But now he tried again, with a bit more push, and with an inward sigh, I did the proverbial peek out the cracked door, asking what it was he wished to say to me. He began by speaking of rumors, and I told him then that they were not rumors, that in fact Ulysses had returned, and so he told me that it was important that I make the right decision for the happiness of all, and not just one or two and that I should speak my heart openly to all. This was easier said than done however.

I turned my attention back to Khirsah, “Prithee, 'ow dae ye ken th' righ' road whence ye've nae traveled 't?”

He told me that such was something I would have to answer for myself. “Cruel, is it not?” The edge of his lips twitched in the parody of a grin.

I sighed, “Verra, ist there annathin’ Ah mayst ‘elp ye wi’ ‘n yer time ‘ere ‘n th’ cita?”

He shook his head, “it would seem you are more than enough to worry over.”

I quirked a sable brow at him, and he mirrored my reaction, “Ask.”

“Ye've come fer me? 're dists Ah mis'ear tha'?” My surprise was evident as we sat there beside the fire.

He then dashed my hopes, “I believe you misheard, Lady d'Nitesong, the road you are choosing.”

I had embarrassed myself, he was only here to watch over my choices. “Ah dae thin' one o' th' roads ist verra challengin'.”

He nodded, “it would seem each are.”

I sipped the drink, “One more sae thence th' oothers,” and I watched him intently for a moment. “'n one o' those roads ist th' least expected.”

“the one most difficult, and further in the future?” he observed.

“Aye.”

He nodded again, “and for the other three?”

I shifted in my chair, “Ah dinnae see much o' a journey 'pon two o' 'em.” And he had touched upon the crux of the problem, the future, “Ah, there ist th’ problem.’

He asked me if it truly was, and I told him yes, for one of those roads goes off into the abyss of darkness, where I could not follow nor see beyond. He smiled then, “it would seem a second has done something similar, and in fact, Ulysses had done just that. So two of my roads had the power to vanish into the abyss and leave me behind.

I laughed softly, “mayhap yer right. Yer nae gae'in tae answer mine oother queries, are ye m'lord.” I finished my drink, and glanced at Khirsah, “mayhap yer right. Yer nae gae'in tae answer mine oother queries, are ye m'lord.” Then lightly touching his sleeve, I rose, “Ah'm gae'in tae r'turn tae I" Taurn, wouldst ye care tae walk wi'me a wee bit?”

We left the Inn together and walked into the darkness toward my home.

Return to “Quiet Return”