Quiet Return

RhyDin home of the sorceress from Nitesong.

Moderators: Alais d Nitesong, Ulysses

Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Location: Matlal, Riverbend, I' Taurn or Nitesong, depending on time of year

Elves and Demons

Post by Alais d Nitesong »

It had been a terribly long day. Sai Jon and his companions had made a spectacular impact on the few household staff still at I' Taurn, and I am not completely convinced that having a cybernetically enhanced demon in the house is something they will quickly adjust to. Saltera is very reasonable, but elves and demons do not usually spend amiable time together. Especially when the demon is armed to the teeth.

I had shown Sai Jon to the second floor where they could practice swords, magic, and hand to hand combat. The room was not designed for firearms or laser weapons, but I told Sai Jon I could ward it for such if he so desired. The room contains a multitude of swords, edged weapons, and if they dig deeply enough, some of Ulysses laser weapons are still there.

I left them to do whatever recon they felt would be useful, and headed to Twilight Isle in search of Rhaine. Once again, I kept to the trees as I searched the rings and spectators areas. Sylus was volunteering, but he caught sight of me among the trees, and a whisper soft mind touch told me I looked tired, which meant I looked as I felt.

I told him I was seeking Rhaine, but that I was going back to I' Taurn. He wondered if our guests were settled, and I told him that I thought so. I hadn't had an opportunity to introduce him to Sai Jon and the others, but he knew of their arrival.

It was late as I sat in the library. A small fire crackled in the fireplace. I had not seen Topaz or Teleperien, and somehow I suspect that Sai Jon and crew are not particularly body guard sorts. As I considered how to go about protecting Topaz and the Queen, I felt a tear open across the table from me. The dark rift shimmered in the mostly darkened room, and I felt a familiar presence, "Rhaine?"

Her voice drifted from the tear, "want to come or would prefer me hopping in?"

I smiled. The woman could come through my wards like they did not exist, and yet, she maintains the courtesy of asking before doing. She is unusual in this realm. "Please, do come join me lass."

She stepped through the rift, but her form was almost translucent, at first I thought it was just a trick of the light, but as she seated herself on the floor, I could see she was not entirely solid.

"Good evening lass, the Liquid Fire is on the table."

She nodded, telling me that she thought it best not to delay talking. It seems things have been changing in RhyDin as well during my absence. "It's too dangerous to wait. Vanion has become more active. I fear he will be trying to get the Key of Earth from Artemus. He kidnapped your Queen, and we had to run to the Temple of Myr'Khul."

I had heard that Vanion was once again stirring, but I had not heard he'd taken Teleperien.

She continued, telling me that "Myr'Khulians are masters of torment," and that Teleperien was in bad condition when she was found. She passed her hand through the bottle of Liquid Fire, "I'm still regenerating after the encounter with Vanion."

When I asked her what had happened to her, she shrugged, "I was just dragging Artemus out of another problem, and got my body annihilated, nothing too scarey."

I blinked at her, "that's not scarey?"

She smirked, "it is not important. And I kept Artemus from feeling my pain. In any case, the regeneration is almost complete, so don't pay attention." She gave me a most serious look before continuing. "The bloodspeakers, and your dragon friend, and what you told me - that is trouble, not some regenerating monster."

I frowned inwardly. She is no monster, and as my friend, it concerns me that she could have been lost to me, and in defense of Artemus! The man simply makes my blood boil. He is Sylus' younger brother, but I cannot harbor warmth for the man in any shape or form.

Rhaine sighed, "anything about that demonic being, that Rael?"

I shook my head, "the 'Others' do say he's from the 9th level, and that he is amassing a huge host, at least 200,000 now in the rivers flood plain in Annara."

She smirked a bit, "such hosts are not uncommon for Baator, but 9th level?! How could a half Tanar'ri come there?"

I had no answer for her, but the story remains the same from all of the banished Annarans.

She told me that in Clandestine, it had been a being from the 9th level that had deceived Tenebris, and stole his soul, and plotted lethargy for them all, the Asmodeans. She was worried.

I thought a moment. "If Rael brings them through, the Annarans would be free to take up their old lives."

She bit her lip, "and there it is."

We both understand the threat Rael poses to us all. I closed my eyes, "Rhaine, I had to show Sai Jon the depravity of the Annaran world." The pain of remembering still bit deeply into my soul, but I knew Rhaine would understand what it had cost me to show that to anyone.

She glanced up at me, "Sai Jon? Who is he?" She was in deep thought as she manipulated cyan sparks on her fingers.

"Sai Jon is an old friend of Giles, he's come to help Tass. He is a priest, and has come to try to heal Tass from the wasting malady."

Her old animosity toward Tass was still there, and I have resolved that my two friends cannot be friends. It happens, no more than I could expect to take Saltera to Legend and expect them to get along.

Rhaine chuckled, "I see, so Tass needs some healing and a Priest to bash some common sense into his head?"

I laughed quietly, "Mayhap that too."

We spoke at length about Vanion, and her concerns that the vampiric elf would go after Artemus' Key since it is the only one Vanion has not been able to touch with the crystal. "So, the only logical guess is that Art should beware."

Frowning slightly, "I have no love for the man lass, none."

She chuckled, "Art may be a silly shifter, but he isn't half as bad as Vanion. Hopefully Shan will teach him to be more serious."

I growled, "aye, well, he has made an enemy of this elf."

She grew more serious, "Vanion is not the only concern, I don't like what's going on with Vincent. His doubles, they appear too often."

I muttered some elven imprecations. "That damned Temple does corrupt all that it touches."

She nodded, but added, "I would not try to enter it, the Grim Lord would not approve. And Vitus, he's here and I am happy to see him. All of us considered him dead after certain events involving his father."

I asked if that was the Arioch they'd spoken about.

She said Arioch was Vitus' father, and a demon who loved to make mindless drones out of everyone.

I closed my eyes, "Rhaine? I've met two demons today, and now you're talking about a third!" No elf in her right mind willingly associated with such creatures!

She grinned, "remember our talk about fabric on a frame? New marbles are falling."

I opened my eyes and studied her a moment, "yes, they are."

She rested her forehead on her hands, "and the visions, visions the Lord has sent me, they predict another marble."

I sat up a bit more, "what visions?" She hadn't mentioned previous instances where the Grim Lord had spoken to her.

She looked up, "for a long time He has not spoken to me, but now he has. He has shown me a rift - rift and four figures walking out of it."

We spoke at length about her vision and what it could portent, but in the end, we agreed not to discuss it. For now, it would remain just between us.

I teased her then, telling her that Vitus and Saltera should meet. She blinked and wanted to know why. When I explained that Saltera was 100% demon, and currently in I' Taurn, she chuckled, "This guy Tanar'ri?"

I explained what little I knew about Saltera, that Tharkold was his home. She nodded, "not one of the Baatezu, that is for sure." Then she asked me why they should not meet, and I laughed, "the irony of having two demons about." It was so un-elven, have I come so far from my heritage? The thought is sobering. Have I become so influenced by the Annarans?

She broke my reverie, "Trouble is guaranteed. I will talk to my brother, and will get to talk to you again. I think we will need your help. Something should be done about Arioch."

I nodded and told her she could count on my help.

The imp in her surfaced as she said, "even if that means helping a half demon?"

I winked back as she opened a rift, "only because he's your brother."
Last edited by Alais d Nitesong on Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lady Alais d' Arma Graham d' Nitesong Sidhe
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Only in RhyDin

I had spent the day in RhyDin seeking Topaz and Teleperien, but Topaz was not in the Baron’s residence, and no one had seen Teleperien. As afternoon drew toward gloaming, I returned to I’ Taurn. I would send missives to both women.

As I climbed the stairs, I could hear the sounds of serious fighting coming from the rooms I’d told Sai Jon he could use. I detoured from my planned destination to go see how they were doing. There in the doorway stood Saltera. A moment of trepidation whispered along my spine before he spoke up, as though sensing my presence, “I’m not going to bite milady, well, not you anyways.” He gave me a toothy grin that did little to be convincing. I glanced past him into the room where Sai Jon and Tobias were ‘practicing’. Both brows winged upward as I watched the battle being waged there, until Saltera asked to speak with me.

He closed the door and I took a small step back. The demon is huge, and no matter his association with Sai Jon, there are some things I am uncertain can ever be overcome. Even the house hold staff walks lightly around him.

Saltera is devoted to Sai Jon. Our brief conversation left me no doubt about that, and I have agreed to honor his request that I not acknowledge that Tobias is Sai Jon’s son. It is not my place to tell the young man something he only needs to look in a mirror to see.

A stone wall rattled ominously as I told Saltera about seeing the two dragons in the Outback. This seemed to upset him more than I expected. With Tass missing, it was no surprise to me that news would bring others to seek him.

Saltera had turned to go into the battle ground, but stopped dead in his tracks as he realized I meant two completely new dragons. He opened the door and roared at Sai Jon and Tobias, and I could hear Sai Jon ask him, “time to go?”

It grew late, but I took a few moments to go see the Arena. Sylus had said he would likely be there, and as I arrived, I heard him whistling. He sensed my presence and with a warm smile, he came over, “is this seat taken?”

I gave him a tired smile, “not unless you are taking it.” He sat down as I told him that our guests were being rather harder on the House than we were used to, and he chuckled, suggesting perhaps we lay down some house rules.

It is not necessary, and I explained that Saltera has good control, but that it did take rather a lot to rattle stone walls!

He gave me a grin that spelled pure trouble and whispered, “but how good is your control?”

He elected to stay and duel, so I returned to I’ Taurn. My suite is on the fourth floor, well away from the noise on the second where Sai Jon and the others are working. The dogs bounded out of the back to greet me, and the largest male came to stand before me. Liquid brown eyes studied me long minutes. His concern radiates from him as he laid his great head on my lap, it is his form of a hug.

I ran my fingers through his silken fur while I thought. Coming back to RhyDin has gotten me to thinking.

What elf would call a vampire a close friend?
What elf would associate with necromancy?
What elf would allow a demon to live in her home?
What elf would accept all of this as perfectly reasonable?

Myr lifted his head abruptly, looking hard at the door. I rose as he stalked slowly toward it, a low growl rumbling through his deep chest. Cautiously opening the door, he sprinted down the stairs, reaching the second floor, where he detoured to the room I’d left Saltera guarding. There I came face to face with a stand off – Myr and Saltera. I burst into laughter at the absurd scene. My wolf hound squared off with a demon in my home. I called Myr to me, and with an apology to Saltera returned to my rooms.

Only in RhyDin!
Kor Jon
Adventurer
Adventurer

Dogs and Demons

Post by Kor Jon »

Saltera had sent the others to prepare. With two more dragons out there he knew there would be trouble and Jacob would undoubtably find it. He waited at the practice room and suddenly a huge dog came bounding around the corner and squared off in front of him growling menacingly. Saltera could sense that it thought him to be a threat so he dropped to his knees, and bent his head to the left exposing his throat and letting out a low whine. The dog stopped growling and cocked his head to the side. Myr inched forward slowly and sniffed Saltera's outstretched hand which he then tentatively licked.

Alais came racing around the corner to find Saltera kneeling in front the dog that was now barking at him playfully. She laughed at the scene and called Myr to her.

Saltera shook his head and waited for the others impatiently. It was past time to be going, Jacob could be up to anything by now.

((Cross Posted to Emerald Isle/The Priest))
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Digging up new friends

Xenograg had been calling when I arrived, taking a bit of time to once more seek out Topaz or Teleperien. As I arrived, Farek asked in his every so standard way for a duel. Since returning to RhyDin, I had not dueled, and I took the opportunity to step into the ring with him.

Later, after Xenograg had left, I headed for Rhaine and her brother’s table, but paused as her gaze narrowed dangerously, her brother protesting, “Two days, three tops, and I will be back to normal. I will seek a healer when I am missing a limb.” But there was blood on his palms, and Rhaine wasn’t taking no for an answer from him.

Rhaine turned to me, “How have your guests been?”

I laughed, and told her I thought they were trying to tear my home down one stone at a time, but that they seemed to be reasonably settled. They have been searching the city. Their methods are unorthodox, but Sai Jon seems to have good control over the small group of warriors.

Vitus flexed his hands, “They seem fine, though I still say my remedy was sufficient.”

Rhaine snickered, “Seems that our Knights have forgotten what it means to have a healer around. Moridin no longer helps our warriors?”

He produced a small flask and uncorked it. A minute amount of steam rose from it as he took a small sip. “Moridin slumbers most times.” He then looked at me, and my quizzical expression, “I spent most of last evening digging.” by way of explanation.

I was quirking a sable brow at him as he said, “digging up some old friends, er, new friends.”

Rhaine nearly choked on her laughter, “Vitus, better not to bring up the subject here. You know how sensitive the elves are.”

He gave me a slightly bewildered look, “Of all I have met here, I would assume you would know what I speak of.”

I slid a silver glance over Vitus, “Yer diggin’ ‘em up b’cause….?”

He smiled slyly at me, “I plan to exterminate all the elves I can find." Then he cackled at me, “No, I jest, manual labor, nothing more.”

Rhaine was laughing hard as I told Vitus “Ye’ve a dark sense o’ ‘umor Vitus, bu’ Ah’ve nae reason tae pry.”

He gave me an odd look, “are you telling me you don’t raise the dead just to amuse yourself?” Rhaine poured us all a glass of Liquid Fire, “You can’t change the elves Vitus, and they are fun the way they are.”

He shook his head slowly, and I looked at him in all seriousness, “I do go to Riverbend to visit the dead.”

He looked at me, a serious expression crossing his features, “I apologize if I make you uneasy. I haven’t felt so alive in eons, just a really good mood combined with good drink, I meant no offense.”

I shrugged, “I’m not used to such dark humor Vitus, and I’ve intruded with you and your sister.”

Rhaine shook her head, telling me that she never has objections to my presence, but I cannot help but worry that I intrude on her time with a brother she hasn’t seen in two centuries. As she inquired about my guests, I told them that I had a demon, a man, a Priest, and a lizard living in my house. I wonder if they realize just how unorthodox an elf I am.

Rhaine told me she would like my help with an experiment, and I have agreed to help her when ever she is ready.

Vitus finds the idea of fighting strangers without trying to kill them very foreign. I suggested that he could find practice here, and that the wards would work nicely to protect his opponents from his inadvertent aggression.

Vitus passed out on the table as Rhaine and I spoke, whether it was from exhaustion or from drink, I am uncertain, but Rhaine lovingly touched his head, “tired.”

She glanced around at the crowd as I asked a bit about the experiment, “too many here who shouldn’t hear it.”

As Vitus awoke, Rhaine suggested he seek his bed, I rose to leave them in peace. Rhaine laughed, “good luck with your houseguests.”

I have a suspicion I’m going to need it. With that, I whispered the Annaran words and returned to I’ Taurn.
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Dangerous Times

The burning of Cassius' home, which is practically across the boulevard worries me. The smoke drifted across I' Taurn like a smothering blanket, bringing with it the scent of suffering as well as destruction.

When I arrived at the Annex, I found Sylus sitting on a sofa near the back, looking as tired as I felt. He said he'd spent the morning training, and when I asked him what he was training for, he enigmatically said, "just training, was either that or watch the demons rock the stonework."

I laughed, "Saltera has his hands full with Tobias and Sai Jon, I've not seen Jacob of late."

Sy smirked, "I'm sure he's fine."

I laughed with true mirth, "have you met Jacob yet? Jacob will be the one to get them all into the soup!"

Sy shook his head, he hadn't really met any of them yet.

I smiled, "Myr met Saltera."

His eyes widened slightly, "I bet that was.... interesting...."

Shaking my head, "can you imagine a demon nearly 7 feet tall on his knees with his throat bared to Myr?"

Sy thought about it, "Poor Myr, doesn't stand a chance."

I laughed merrily, "Myr was not very worried. I was!"

He wrapped an arm around my shoulder, "for Myr, I bet you were."

I glanced at Sy, "you've heard about the fire? With the Baron's home just across the street, that is entirely too close."

He nodded, telling me that he's considering taking a position with the City Guard just to be of more help. I knew I' Taurn could not burn, but the forest could. He suggested that we ward for fire, but I cannot ward the entire area.

He sighed, "we protect what we can, the rest we leave to luck."

Frowning, "we do have need of catching the arsonist." Leaving things to luck would mean that whomever was setting these fires would seek out weak wards, or unprotected buildings to strike.

He'd clearly been thinking about this for some time, "alright, first we'll need to set up a night watch for the area, should be made of citizens, the arsonist is most likely watching for members of the guard."

I slid a glance at him, "the dragons have begun to arrive." I know that they are searching for Tass, but I must hope that Sai Jon finds him before these new dragons do. I told Sylus that this burning of the Baron's home would give Cassius more reason to imprison the unfortunates.

Sy suggested that by implementing his plan, Cassius would have more on his plate than the unfortunates, he would be looking for an arsonist now.

"I do fear he'll become intollerant, very quickly," voicing my concern softly, but my words were caught by another elf, and Pslyder's thoughts came through clearly as amused, "Cassius? Intollerant? Heaven forfend!"

I glanced at Pslyder, "Have you heard his plans?" Sometimes telepathy can get you into discussions better left unopened. I explained to Pslyder that the Baron had plans to impose torture and execute all assassins, vagrants, thieves, and homeless ones, and that he has plans to build a dungeon for such purposes.

Psly nodded, "Oh yeah, I heard about all of that. I'll tell you one thing, he's going to have his hands full trying to root out all the 'miscreants'."

Sylus glanced at the Marchioness as she and Psly debated the issue, "that just means Cassius will have all of the more intelligent criminals to deal with, the dumb ones are the ones that get caught."

I muttered softly , "barbarism doesn't fix the problem, it sounds like a veritible witch hunt." Glancing up at Pslyder, "I worry about abuse of power," and he agreed, saying it was the reason that the squad wasn't the only group of people doing the right thing for the people. He had his own plans which were in motion.

I told him that I did not believe having Baron's making such moves was right, but that they did not listen to anyone.

He agreed, saying it was the preview of the Overlord, or the city counsel. He felt things were very much like his home where the only way to stop them was to take whatever power you could back and use it against the authorities.

This is a dangerous time, where the powers that be in RhyDin will be tested. I hope the outcome is one of justice and law.
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Safe Havens

Rhaine had asked me if I would be willing to help her with an experiment. She'd been unwilling to discuss it in any public spots, so whatever she was doing would need the privacy of one of our homes to go over the details.

She and Vitus had spoken about finding a 'home' for Arioch, whom I have since learned is not only a demon, but Vitus' father, and intuition suggests that this experiment has something to do with Arioch and his new 'home'.

Vitus seems amused by the fact that I do not embrace my Annaran sorceries with more passion. His questions about my digging up the dead for 'fun' is case in point. He cannot know how much suffering an elf, who reveres light, life and laughter, can sustain, knowing that her magic is the very antithesis of those values. His humor is dark, but Morrin was much like him.

As I returned to I' Taurn, the scent of smoke clung to the air. People moved purposefully, not lingering in the park-like boulevard any longer. There is a new tension in the air.

When I entered the house, I was informed that my guests had departed several hours earlier, and that Sylus had not returned since early this morning. It seemed I had the house to myself.

I went almost on autopilot to Uly's office, pausing before the sealed doorway. It had been months since we'd come back from Harmony, and brought those accursed books with us. Touching my palm to the reader, then a soft 'whoosh' indicated the door was now open. Lifting my gaze to the room, I stepped inside, and it closed behind me with another 'whoosh'.

The room was unchanged. Dust had collected and settled over all of Ulysses things. I allowed no one to enter here. The faint scent of him lingered as I stood there. I cannot say why I came here. Maybe it was nostalgia, who can say, but I nearly jumped out of my skin when Ozymandias stirred! "Ozymandias! ye didst nigh' scare th' life froom me!"

He blinked, "you told me to come here when the details were completed on Harmony. They are complete. I am here."

I gave him a smile, telling him that I was happy to see him, but it was a surprise in his timing. Ozy was here. My last ties to Harmony had come to I' Taurn.

Ozy settled onto the back of Uly's chair, "you are troubled." Leave it to Ozy to be so blunt and straight foreward.

"Yes Ozy, Ah'm troubled by manna thin's. Ye've coome tae RhyDin 't an uncertain moment."

The automaton tilted it's head at me.

I told Ozy what was going on, how things had gone with the books, and that Khirsah still retained one of the three. I gave him the information on Tass. Ozy was devoid of emotion, and so his analysis of things was always a grounding factor. I am happy to have Ozy back in the house.

The sun slid slowly toward the horizon while I filled Ozy in. It was nearly sunset when I felt a familiar mind touch. Rhaine. We needed to talk, and what she said troubled me. She had seen Daigotsu at the Annex, and at first glance, it appeared to be Tass dueling the Bloodmage. However, as the two spoke, Rhaine began to understand that the body was Tass, but the responses belonged to Shahai. It has not been Tass she'd seen at Daigotsu's Citadel, it had been Shahai. Only the bloodspeakers called Daigotsu 'm'lord'. She'd sorted it out. Rhaine knew Shahai was inside of Tass' body.

"Rhaine, it is impertative that you not tell anyone what you know. People must believe that it is Tass until we can repair the body. We need Teleperien or Sai Jon for this, and thus I ask you to please retain this information for yourself."

Rhaine has never liked Tass, but I must trust her that she will understand the need for now to remain silent.

After that, she invited me to her hideout, and I asked if I could bring Ozymandias. The rift opened, and we travelled to my friend's safe haven.
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Soulstones and Anchors

Ozy and I moved into the rift, arriving not quite where I had initially expected. We were in a work room/laboratory that I had not seen before, but that was very clearly Rhaine's. Her wards scanned Ozy, but otherwise did not touch the automaton.

Rhaine barely glanced at Ozy, her experiences around technology and automation meant he was no surprise for her, even though he accompanied a magic user and not a technical world entity. I greeted her, but she began immediately, "I do not know if your shalafi taught you much about soulstones."

This told me that our task was immediately crucial to her. Her focus was narrowed solely to this 'experiment' as she'd called it. I had expected it was Arioch we were seeking to contain, and I told her that Morrin had not done much with soulstones. I knew they existed, but very little about creation or use of them.

She told me that we needed to transform a set of gems into an aggressive soulstone, one that would drag a demon in, and trap him there. This would take a strong energy infusion, as well as traps and anchors a demon could not undo. It must be so complex and strong, the demon would be unable to escape.

She reached for a small, black metal box, and in it were a set of gems that were similar in appearance to the one she had embedded in her own skin. Somehow, she'd gotten it away from Artemus. It had once belonged to someone she knew. Artemus had killed him, and taken the gem.

She handed me the stone, and the sensation was swift and immediate; as though trying to stand in the eddy of a fast running vortex, as I closed my fingers slowly around the gem, absorbing the intensifying sensation that threatened to drag me away. I anchored my energies to the ley lines, and the stone pulsed with a chaotic energy; as though imbued with both magic and matter. There was a link that I could sense, but it was broken, incomplete, and remained at the heart of the stone.

Rhaine smiled and unbuttoned the shirt slightly, exposing her own gem at the base of her throat. A cyan crystal that glowed softly as I studied the green gem I held. She explained that the vortex or pull that I felt was even stronger when the stone is connected, but instead of a one way current pulling you in, her's was a 2 way one. What we needed to create was a current strong enough in one direction to pull Arioch in forever. She invited me to touch the gem she bore, warning me that it would be shockingly strong. I did so, my curiosity aroused about such potent magical tools.

The impact was stunning. The chaotic energy was magnified as the rune flared at my touch, but this time the pull was not a suffocating vortex, it was a current. I asked Rhaine if she felt the current, or was she the source of the pull. I had to anchor myself firmly to the ley lines to keep from being dragged from where I stood.

She smiled, "I feel that pull... every day, every hour, every second. But for me, this is a two way current."

"But, it will be a one way for Arioch."

She grinned, "absolutely."

So began a long evening of work for us both. The bindrune was strong, and Rhaine had ideas how to enhance the strength. What I would bring to Arioch's new home was two fold. One: The anchors to prevent him from pulling free of the vortex, and Two: The unexpected and hated chains of elven sorcery. That would be a very nasty surprise for the demon we seek to bind here.

Rhaine took on the life-death spellwork, and as she began, images from my earlier nightmares flickered at the edges of memory. I'd seen some of this when I'd been connected to Rhaine's thoughts months ago.

I told her that my favorite anchors would be mithril based, and she went to a small niche, returning with several boxes of ingredients. She told me they used mithril in her home world for rune sets, and channeling swords. Some of the ingredients in the boxes were true stuff of nightmares, and must have come from the Hell's themselves, but I found what I needed. There was also an odd, milky white crystal, something similar to a quartz crystal, but not that I must ask her about when we are finished.

I told her that my preference would be to set the anchors last, right before the closure of the spell, and she nodded and moved toward the pedestal where the green gem rested. Her disguise faded, leaving her true form visible as she turned faceted eyes on me, "Do not come close, for your own safety."

I asked her if I could summon my staff, as I would need it, and her wards parted enough for me to bring the rouwanwood staff into her lab. The clear crystal held by the dragonette hummed in a soft vibration to the magic Rhaine invoked. A pallid mist began to flow around her, and the runestone, which quickly became a true vortex. Sparkling flecks flew in the maelstrom she was creating. There was an electric cold that emanated from the mist that I dared not touch. The green rune flared, and an answering cyan flare as dark streams blended into the mist, absorbing the green rune.

I touched the uppermost mithril rune on my staff, beginning to pull energy to the crystal, and as I did so, the outer gems of the bind rune darkened as the inner gem became brighter. My clear crystal began a soft glow as the ley energies collected there. Picking up the mithril in my other hand, and curling my fingers around it, I began the transfer of energy from the staff into the mithril.

The green rune was subdued, quiescent, and the energy it emanated was cold. The cold of absolute nothingness.

She looked at me, "ready and set for the anchor."

I nodded, "I need you to used a cold knife to cut mine hand, across the palm, across the life line, the blood must coat the mithril."

She produced a knife with a very thin dark blade that she used to slice deeply enough to bring a line of crimson welling quickly to the surface. The blood seemed almost drawn to the mithril. I moved closer to the rune stones, closing my hand tightly as the Annaran spell riffled from my lips in a melodious cascade. Crimson and silver dripped from my hand over the bind rune, absorbing into them, vanishing within the matrix of the stones. I heard Rhaine whisper to be careful not to touch the stones or the mist. As I felt the anchors settle into place with the matrix of the rune, the blood and mithril ceased flowing. The anchors were completed, and would draw no more from me.

It was time to finish. She slashed her right palm, and dark crimson curled around the rune and anchors. The mist filled with bright cyan sparks, the runes flared, and the mist dissipated. The green rune was glowing, and the inner stones were bright and cold.

She turned and thanked me. We both agreed we'd like to see Arioch's face when the trap is sprung. Ozymandias remained silent, hovering nearby.

We retired from the lab to her living quarters for a drink. She healed the monomolecular knife cut, for which I thanked her. It would have healed quickly, but was appreciated none the less.

She brought us a bottle of violet liquid with red sparkles from an ebony case, her use of telekinesis brought a smile as she did a bit of showing off, "try.... might be curious."

I picked up the glass, "what are we trying tonight?" I asked her as I sniffed the bouquet of the wine. It was apparently made from a very specific sort of grape grown in one region of Lerdann, and had an herbal mix included. I sipped the violet fluid, letting it drift across my tongue. It was very good, and she savored each drop.

We spoke about Arioch, and how she planned to lure him into the bind rune trap that we hope would become his home. Vitus was safe on consecrated Asmodean ground, so with time, Arioch would come looking for his son. Arrogance should be the demon's downfall.

Ozy and I left Rhaine and returned to I' Taurn. Once we arrived, Ozy spoke up, "You know Lady Alais, once the demon is entrapped in that matrix, it would be possible to seal it for eternity in the transmogrifier. While the magic used by you both is good, given enough time, or the demise of one of you, that entity could eventually escape. If you sent the rune into infinity, it would have each molecule entrapped, separated, and would be unable to pull itself back into existence."

I looked at Ozy, "you can program it to do that?"

He blinked an almost indignant blink, "of course I can."

I laughed lightly, "I'll be certain to advise Rhaine of your concept Ozy, thank you."
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Mirror Images

After returning from Rhaine's, exhaustion crept at the periphery of my mind. I was tired, so very tired. As I passed the quicksilver mirror in my rooms, something flashed, catching my attention. Curiosity being an intrinsic part of my nature, I went closer for a look.

The image within was a man of golden hair, pale, pale skin, and a burning determination in his eyes. Overlaid in shadow behind him was a golden dragon, wings spread wide, and clutched in it's talons a small black book. MY book.

I went utterly still. A blade was held by the pale man, it's jewel encrusted hilt glittered in the gathering blackness. Twin black stones were suspended from one ear, and a black stone was set in a simple ring, and then all was cloaked in blackness so deep, it changed the surface of the mirror.

One name slipped from my lips, "Khirsah!"

Then blackness crept from the mirror, encircling me where I stood.

((Cross Posted Emerald Isles / The Three Books ))
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Future Present

Elven mirrors are tools that can show you the past, the present, and the future. Sometimes it is difficult to tell which you are seeing, and when the future is involved, the images can shift and change with each choice made along the way.

I have touched Primordial Darkness. This is darker, stronger, something different. As the blackness encircled me, I summoned The Third once again. Calling to it in the Annaran summons which should bring the book to my call, but thus far had failed to retrieve it.

Time may already have turned against us and it may already be too late. Khirsah may already be irrevocably changed by the book - and only the Valar know at this point what those changes will mean.

The man I saw in the mirror was Khirsah, and yet he'd changed almost beyond recognition.
Khirsah
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Khirsah »

He watched from behind the mirror. He knew she would come. Her estates on the Isles were, for the moment, closed to her, as the barriers were closed.

It was only a matter of time.

The time had come.

She stepped infront of the mirror, and her look spoke volumes. One of shock... one of fear.

So she had come to seek him before. Then she shall see what death is like.

He reached out, and the darkness enveloped her. Almost with a lover's touch, he pulled her into the mirror, and away from the worlds she knew.
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Into the Mirror

The darkness swept out of the quicksilver, curling around me as I watched the image that was Khirsah fade into the mists. In an instant, the darkness enveloped me with a caress so gentle at first I thought it imagined, and then, it pulled me into the mirror. Into a darkness unimaginable.

I clung to the image of Khirsah. "Where dae ye take me, 'n why m'lord?"

The black stones I'd seen in the mirror glittered in the blackness, and I could sense there were more upon his person. They drew power to them. They drew life and energy, and in that moment, I knew the book had changed the Elder.
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Revelations

I'd agreed to meet Xeno at the dojo in the morning to speak to him in private about what was happening in the Emeral Isle's and my seeing Shakira, but as the darkness curled out of the mirror, wrapping around me like a lover, I knew I would not make that meeting.

Khirsah held tightly to my hand as nothingness wrapped us up and swallowed us. The sensation was unsettling, and for a moment I thought to fight it, but the pull was inescapable. Cold, akin to the chill of Annara was in Khirsah's touch. At my query, he turned cold eyes on me, and with a voice soft, yet chill, "was it not you who sought me? You were brought here to understand what is going on with my younger brother. He is brave, but often times, his heart gets in the way of his knowledge. This is the case this time. He has sought to protect you, and in so doing, he's laid waste to his body."

Khirsah maintained a completely detatched air as he continued, he'd always been the more aloof and distant of the brothers. He told me he would be there when Tass manifested himself to reclaim his body from the bloodmage. Shahai would not claim what did not belong to her, but he informed me that was not my worry.

"This does...." his voice faded away to be replaced by the view of my foundation stone, and the great Annaran blade that rested there, prohibiting the completion of my new home, only now, Tass stood there, Tass whole and healthy, marking a blazing path around the blade, and as I watched in mute horror, Tass reached for the sword at his side, and simultaneously reached for Daemonbane!

"NO!" One word ripped from my throat in that horrifying moment of clarity. Tass had known what Daemonbane would do to him. He KNEW! He knew and yet he'd done so anyway. The only thing keeping Tass alive right now was the great dragon's origins. Had he been any other sort of creature, Daemonbane would have killed him as well. This is why Tass' symptoms seemed so
familiar, and yet not. This is why nothing worked in trying to break the curse.

I tried to pull free of Khirsah, but he clung to me with an unshakable grip, and as I looked into Khirsah's cold eyes, I wondered if the Elder would blame me for what was happening to Tass.

My words were elven soft, "th' new structure 'pon Mat'lal, 't ist where Daemonbane doth r'side, neh?"

The man before me was Khirsah, and yet not. As we stood there in that dark nothingness, I learned a new meaning for despair.

"We didst haff need o' ye Khirsah, 't ist why Ah didst seek ye - bu' 't was ye th' first time 'pon th' black sand. Why? Why didst ye touch me enou' tae tell me wither ye'd gone?"
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

I stood beside the altered Khirsah in that place of beginning. This image of Tass taking hold of Daemonbane has shaken me deeply, for death awaits my old friend. None have ever survived. None.

I glanced at Khirsah. His demeanor one of unyielding granite that I could not fathom. "The shrine, that is what is locked away behind the dragon's blood wards." It was a statement rather than a question as realization dawned on me.

Home. We needed to return home, with Tass and Khirsah. "Khirsah, we need to go home. You would not come before - please tell me you will come now. We need you. Tass needs you."
Khirsah
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Khirsah »

He looked over and set his eyes upon Alais. She had finally come up with the answer that she sought.

“Yes, Lady d’Nitesong. The blade is locked within the ‘dragon’s blood wards’. It must remain there, for now. Do not seek it. Do not let any know that you know it is there. It is guarded by the oldest lore there is. It must remain that way until the time comes that is must be removed. You will know that time when it comes.”

He lifted a hand and the scene shifted. Soon they were standing before the desolation and destruction which was being waged upon the Isles at the same moment that they were. The scene shifted violently and they rushed across the land of Matlal to the keep that was being built there. It eased to a stop at the front gate. There, before the gate stood the corrupted dragon’s who had become the enemy’s guards.

He let the scene linger for a moment. She would need to know this information. Then, he lifted his hand, and Matlal vanished, to be replaced by a large dragon held in limbo within the ether of the night. That image too lingered for a moment, then it too was replaced by that of Sai Jon being tended to by his friends.

There the image froze. He turned to her and looked into her eyes. “Lady, my time has come, so has yours. Go, heal the Guardian. You know the magic which threatens his body. It is not the pure corruption which came upon the Younger. He has purified it, but has not cleansed it. It is, however, too much for the Guardian to battle alone. Go, and heal him, and prepare those with him for the battle to come. Make sure you are at your strongest, for there will be rest and no quarter given for us.”

Lifting a hand, he let the darkness abate, returning to that of a normal night. She was now free to go when she was ready.
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Images of Ruin

Khirsah brought forth images of Matlal that made my blood run cold. The entire island was over-run by the armies we'd seen when Sai Jon and I had both been in Riverbend. They had come through, and now, the once beautiful emerald green of my new home was being laid to waste by hordes of dead and daemon kind. Rael had corrupted not only the islands, but he'd gained some of the dragons of my home for his guards, and now, the structure I'd put such careful planning into before building was being guarded and defiled by dracoliches created from the very dragons who'd been helping me build on Matlal.

Khirsah bade me go heal Sai Jon, who apparently had drawn the taint of Daemonbane from Tass, and who now suffered the effects of the Annaran curse because according to Khirsah, we would need the Guardian for the battle we were facing. My focus however remained riveted on the image of the dragon turned dracolich guarding the despoiled remains of my home. Denial of what I saw roiled in my stomach. Garl would never willingly join Rael. NEVER!

The images faded away and the blackness turned into the normal darkness of night. I looked at Khirsah, "th' wards tae th' Emerald Isles 're closed Khirsah, Ah've need o' yer 'elp tae r'turn tae 'em."

He'd never answered my questions. The always enigmatic Khirsah kept his own counsel despite my elven curiosity.

Return to “Quiet Return”