Of Temples and Daughters

RhyDin home of the sorceress from Nitesong.

Moderators: Alais d Nitesong, Ulysses

Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Location: Matlal, Riverbend, I' Taurn or Nitesong, depending on time of year

Of Temples and Daughters

Post by Alais d Nitesong »

Alais had come to RhyDin for some supplies for Matlal, and decided to spend the evening in the Arena. She hadn’t been there in ages, and something drew her there rather than returning to the Emerald Isles. She coalesced from a column of shimmering silver as she headed for her sofa near the back of the empty arena. She used the time to summon a glass of Liquid Fire, and to remove the accumulated dust from her sofa. The Annaran words riffled in the still air of the room as she worked to make her old place fit once more to enjoy an evening in the venerable old hall. Finally satisfied, she leaned her staff against the sofa and settled onto the old brocade couch that had been her place for so many years. She curled up comfortably and ran her hand slowly over the textured surface as old memories flooded through her mind. She watched the duelers begin to arrive, content to remain silent and at the back of the hall.

Maranya’s laughter rang out as Imp pounced upon the doctor with his trademark hug-lick-grope and poofing to safety before any female could do him any serious harm. Her reaction to Imp was one of a wide gamut of reactions. Some women were good sports about it, some seemed to be desirous of beheading the blue menace, and others took it as simply part of dueling on Imp’s watch, which meant a certain amount of tolerance for the blue one and a profound hope that he didn’t carry anything contagious.

Alais’ gaze narrowed when Vincent arrived. There was a long history here, and she had never quite been able to forgive Vinny for leaving his daughter in the grips of the Temple of Divine Light, and in fact, having deserted good sense, the man had actually joined the cult himself. It had been ages since she’s seen him, and tonight when he walked in, her inner senses prickled. He waved to everyone he saw close to the rings, and focused on the lizard-man Bran Bale, “Hey Bran, you ready for me to play the ‘I’m being disrespected’ card as the lowest seed remaining?” Bran had laughed and invited him to do just that and the two took to a dueling ring as Vinny said, “I’m good with that one too. I had you winning my bracket, so no matter who wins tonight, I come out ahead in some way.” Apparently Vincent had wagers on the Madness dueling finals.

Alais remained silent, sipping the Liquid Fire now and then as she watched the duels begin for the night. She had no intention of entering a ring. She hadn’t dueled actively in many years, and tonight was not going to be the re-entry into that realm, but she did miss seeing old friends, and watching who was hot in the dueling world now days.

Wyheree appeared behind Imp, and the expression on her face said that she planned to avoid Imp is possible and she seemed to hope that Imp was distracted enough by his rings that she could escape molestation, but the blue one didn’t miss Alais’ greeting, and he pounced her as well just as she smiled and waved to Alais. She settled onto a chair with a chuckle just as Xenograg walked in, and gave greetings to everyone.

Imp flailed, “XEEEEEEENOOOOOOO!!!!!” and he poofed over to the General for a move he generally reserved only for ‘his women’s’ and gave the aging sorcerer a hug, lick, and a grope before poofing away. Xenograg growled, “Get off me!!”

Alais gave a smile and Wyheree burst into a fit of giggles as Imp greeted him. She regained her composure and waved to the General but her eyes still shone with merriment over the incident. He pointed a finger at Wyheree, informing her that she was no help encouraging Imp as she did by laughing at his antics. “But there is nothing to be done with Imp, my friend.”

Alais chuckled her agreement, Imp was irrepressible, and it was fruitless to think otherwise. “G’en auld friend,” she said as Xenograg walked toward her and returned the greeting. “Prithee, ‘ow dae ye fare this e’en?” Alais has worried over the burns he’d suffered at her daughter’s hand, but he appeared outwardly to be recovering just fine.

He gave a small hint of a smirk, “Matlal is peaceful still?”

Alais nodded, “And ‘ow ist yer daughter farin’?” She smiled slightly at his query, “Och, Garl ‘n Khirsah ‘re still nae verra good friends.” Somehow, she didn’t think Garl would ever openly accept Khirsah after the battles there, but the two hadn’t come to blows just yet, so that was encouraging in Alais’ view.

Xenograg settled onto his chair, “She is quite motivated these days. I believe her encounter with the Elder, and your… problem, has shown her more of the wider world.”

Alais inclined her head, “Tha’ was yer goal, nae?” Xenograg had asked Alais to provide some lessons in her arts, and this one was safe enough to allow the girl to experience some of the darker magics out there. Xenograg nodded his concurrence.

Xenograg adjusted the scabbard at his side, “Khirsah seemed surprised that Amanada does not rebel against the limits I have set.”

Alais nodded, the Elder had expressed an interest in the fact that Amanda had listened and listened well to her sire. “Ah jus’ ‘ope th’ lassie doth nae ‘xplore too deeply intae th’ darker corners.” She knew the lure of dark magic, the feeling of power it gives a sorcerer, but she also knew the dangers and pitfalls of those arts.

Xenograg nodded, But she is very sensible, despite her age.”

About then Seraphina moved down the stairs, and Xenograg gave a sidelong look at her just as she smiled and spoke loudly, “Liberator!” Her announcement drew a quirked brow from Wyheree as Alais turned to look at the arriving woman who’d inducted her daughter into the ways of the Temple. Seraphina continued as though nothing was amiss, “How are you this evening Liberator?”
Lady Alais d' Arma Graham d' Nitesong Sidhe
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Location: Matlal, Riverbend, I' Taurn or Nitesong, depending on time of year

Post by Alais d Nitesong »

Xenograg did his very best to ignore Seraphina as Vincent slunk from his ring to find a seat. But Seraphina wasn’t about to be ignored, and she turned her bright smile onto Alais, “And Alais? Are you well?”

Alais slowly set her crystal snifter down onto the low table beside her sofa as her attention locked onto Seraphina. She couldn’t remember ever giving the Priestess leave to be so familiar, and she heard Xenograg whisper, “Ignore her.” She took a deep breath and looked pointedly at Xenograg, “Sae ye’ve put in th’ crops an’ lookin’ promisin’ in her construction?” She meant to speak about mundane things and hopefully the priestess would take the hint and leave them in peace.

Wyheree glanced at Xenograg and Alais, uncertain whether to join them or remain watchful and at a distance. For the moment she decided simply to wait and watch.

Xenograg nodded to Alais as she didn’t rise to Seraphina’s bait, “The keep will not be finished this year, but the second floor will be livable during the winter.” This brought a nod from Alais and Seraphina glanced around the Arena, spotting Vincent as she moved toward the bar. Vincent also spotted Seraphina, but he did not speak the first word.

“That mus’ make thin’s much more ‘ospitable fer all o’ yer demesne,” she said. The construction had been a long term project, but still, as each room and floor were completed, it had to improve the inhabitability for all of his people.

The arena door opened and another white robed woman walked through the doors and began to move down the stairs, her hands folded into the sleeves of her robes. Alais’ silver eyes slid toward the door and the stairs just as Seraphina called out, “Sister Alia Anor!” He smile went bright again as Alia Anor descended the stairs. Xenograg saw Alais’ expression and he followed her gaze just as Seraphina’s voice announced the reason for Alais’ distraction. Alais had gone very still, as though she herself were made of the sepulchral stones of Riverbend.

Alia Anor paused at the bottom of the stairs and seemed to scan the room until she heard Seraphina, “Sister Seraphina, Brother Vincent,” her voice was the soft lilt of elven kind as she greeted them. She moved toward the pair, ignoring both Alais and Xenograg for the moment.

Vincent watched Alia Anor walk toward them, musing silently that having Alia Anor and Alais in the same room.

Xenograg spoke softly, “Do you want to leave?”

She shook her head, “Nae yet, prithee, le’s see wha’ she hath coome ‘ere fer.”

Seraphina moved closer to Vincent, “Brother Vincent? Did I miss you at the Temple again?” Her tone was alluring and meant to be inviting as she spoke to him. Alia Anor made her way toward them, “Indeed Brother Vincent, we have not seen you within our halls recently.” There was no censure, pure invitation only as they made use of honey to draw Vincent back to them.

Vinny took a deep breath, trying not to get angry, “I have seen the true face behind the Temple, and have decided to leave. I do not take kindly to being imprisoned and replaced.”

Alia Anor stopped near Seraphina before she turned toward Xenograg, lowering her hood as she looked at him with shadowed aqua eyes. “Liberator.” It was all she said as she inclined her head in a show of respect. Then she turned toward Vincent and raised a brow questioningly, “Leaving? You cannot leave us, you are one of us.”

Alais lifted a brow as she glanced first at Vincent, and then Xenograg. She would not disturb the near silence with her question, but she knew Xenograg would understand her puzzlement. Xenograg’s expression clearly said that he didn’t like having so many of ‘them’ and ‘us’ together in an enclosed place simultaneously. Alais had to agree as she leaned closer to Xenograg to quietly ask if he’d heard that Vincent had left the Temple before tonight.

Seraphina continued, “The White Lady is saddened, Vincent. The orphans as well. They miss your magic shows.”

Vincent shook his head, “No, it’s already done. I’m no longer a member of the Temple. And as I told Seraphina, I will only be back to tear the place down.” A little twitch formed at the corner of his lips as she spoke to Alia Anor.

She gave a sad frown, “You are in pain Brother Vincent, please, come back that we may ease your suffering. You are missed.”

Xenograg glanced at Alais while Vincent occupied the Templars, apparently this was news to him as well.

Seraphina moved around the bar to turn her smile then toward Alais and Xenograg again as Alia Anor worked on Vincent. “Would you two like anything to drink?”

Xenograg barely looked at her, “Your blood?”
Lady Alais d' Arma Graham d' Nitesong Sidhe

Return to “Quiet Return”