Work?

Horses, farm hands, and stories from Rhydin's countryside. Welcome to the less refined side of town... we suggest you kick off your heels and slip on some boots.

Moderators: Cory, Anjolie Quinn

Lerida
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Work?

Post by Lerida »

Yes, she was at loss of a Bay, having to sell her horse on her trip back to Rhy'Din; but beggars cannot be choosers they say!

A mosey on through the entrance way, hands in her pockets and a bright smile. The air here smelt so fresh, clean, clear. But more. It had an energy to it, revitalising, and she lifted and dropped her shoulders as a thrill traveled her frame, a jive in her bones, knee-knocking, elbow jaunting excitement. But it wasn't quite so animated, just the roll of the shoulders and the accompanying up-tilt of the corners of her mouth.

A simple stride up to the door, a rapping at the wood, knuckles in four, and she cleared her throat. Some work here would be most welcome to her uneasiness at this time. Something to throw herself into and make a joy of.
Anjolie Quinn
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Sarcastic

Post by Anjolie Quinn »

Pots and pans were simmering and bubbling in the kitchen whenever the knock came on the front door. A very flighty Elizabeth continued her preparation of the afternoon meal. A few seconds passed by and the woman heard a second knock. Hands rubbed against a damp dishtowel as her solid stride carried her towards the hallway.

"Hank... are you gonna git that?"

Wise eyes looking across the way towards the living room. The men were there "discussing paperwork" with the game suspiciously playing in the background. The manager looked over his shoulder in a reply.

"Bit busy, Bridges. Can't you git it?"

Elizabeth noted one of her pots boiling dangerously close to its edge. She turned to walk back into the kitchen with a snort.

"If you wan' dinner then git the damn door, Hank."

The man sighed and pushed himself upright. He lingered momentarily on the threshold of the living room before grumpily meandering down the hallway to answer the front door.

In the kitchen, Elizabeth shook her head while muttering to herself.

"Could've been a client... does he care? Of course not... swear ta Holy Mother on Earth I'm gonna wallop that man next time he--"

The farmhand pulled open the door and his head tilted somewhat at the guest on their front porch. He clicked his tongue once before brown eyes were done with their observation. Then his slow, Southern voice sounded.

"Afternoon, ma'am. Welcome to th' Golden Sun... "
He was about to ask how he could be of assistance whenever a cold draft caught his chest. Elizabeth would have his hide if he let her stand there in the doorway like some common stranger. So, he took a step back and held the door open to allow her entry into the wide hallway.

"Hows 'bout you step on in here an' let me know what I can help ya wit', eh?" Still wearing a gentlemanly smile.
"Even some stories that seem to have been going for ages must eventually come to an end."
Lerida
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Lerida »

Letting the calculations, appromixations and possible count of selinity levels while he was at it, pass, she nodded once and passed the gentle sir with a smile longer and broader than the last.

They would find she was dressed in a plain skirt, and knitted top embroidered in fern-like stitching across the boatcut neckline. She presented herself in neutral tones, a peach coloured shirt with the almond brown skirt, both feminine yet applicable to the nitty-gritty of farm work, should they want her.

"Why thank you", she quipped, as her eyes drifted between both Elizabeth and Hank, their colour vivid and clear.

"Sorry to impose, I didn't see any other way of going about it. I've recently returned here, looking for some work.."

A pale hand drew from her side and fingers fluttered, insinuating the outside.

"I couldn't think of a nicer place to indulge my self in"

The smile shrank, just a touch as she clasped her hands by her front, leaning more into her left foot, as always, when uncertainty played the fringes of her mind.

"Gotta try!"

The silence passed and she stretched her vision between the two, making sure her eyes met both in equal lingers. The green spoke of a genuine smile, their pastures indicating a free spirit, but one of determination.

"If you'll have me, I can show you my skills. I've a tune with animals..", she added gently, lifting her shoulders-hope and tension.

Sun streaked in from outside, and she felt it brush her knees in its soothing, afternoon warmth. That bit softer, that more gold, out here, away from town.
Anjolie Quinn
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Sarcastic

Post by Anjolie Quinn »

The farm manager known as Hank looked the girl over from head to toe. His brown eyes seemed hesitant and he folded both arms for a moment in contemplation. She seemed nice enough, but she was both petite and female. Granted, Quinn and Liz had walloped him on more than one occasion. Hank clicked his tongue once more and then took a second to respond.

"I ain't really th' hiring person 'round here, but I'd imagine Liz migh' know whether or not we're needin' help."

The only warning given was an old man's smile before Hank looked over his shoulder and yelled forcefully down the hallway and towards the kitchen were Elizabeth was cooking.

"Hey, Bridges! We got company an' I think you'll want ta be talkin' to 'em."

Hank's eyes glistened with delight at being able to get away with such a gesture. He then looked back to the young lady.

"Can I git'cha somethin' ta drink, ma'am?"

And so Elizabeth came bustling around the corner. Whether it was business, a guest, or some random stranger she wasted no time in giving them a show with the rough swat with her towel.

"Go git some tea, ya old coot."

A mean look from the middle aged lady before she donned a friendly smile to the young woman.

"Says she's wantin' a job..." Hank mumbled over his shoulder as he went down the hallway to fetch some drinks to bring into the study.

"Please, do come on in, dear... I'm Elizabeth Bridges an' I act as co-manager of th' Golden Sun Stables. 'fraid Quinn isn't in today... reckon she's off inspectin' her new place."

A smooth hand motioned for the young lady to follow her into the study where there were two, leather chairs and a desk with its own leather business chair. Hank followed quickly behind with drinks for both Elizabeth and their young guest.

"We're a bit of an odds n' ends sort'a place. But I'd love ta hear what'cha think you coul' offer us here at th' Golden Sun.... miss?"
"Even some stories that seem to have been going for ages must eventually come to an end."
Lerida
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Lerida »

"Just so happens odds and ends is my forte', Ma'am Bridges", she smiled pleasantly, one of those hearty, shoulder lifting chuckle.

"And the name is Lurr-ee-dah"

Her soft voice carried in a confident note across to Elizabeth as she folded herself comfortably into the offered chair, crossed her knees and placed an arm, one at a time at the rests, wrists limp at where the leather was made taut in cuff.

"I'm happy to do whatever will make it easier around here..", a thoughtful look, a dragstrip of ideas flaring her eyes to vivid.

"I'll sweep, mop, soak, dust, scour, fix flyscreen, clean out the troughs, milk the cows, walk the horses, feed the sty, collect the fruit and vegetables, help prepare dinner..."

A little grin.

"I'll do just about anything"

Her eyes cut to a quick catch about the room, eyeing it up, her shoulders swaying a moment as she adjusted to the vibe. It was a lazy marigold afternoon, how pleasant it would be to wind up a days work in such a place! Her big smile and glittered clover-green eyes settled once again upon her gracious host, their clear lake-like still filled with it all, fingertips tapping against the leather in a perky melody.

"Is there somethin' I've missed?", she asked in a chime, tilting her cheek a touch with an arch of her brow, from where loose snowy locks fell from their bun to dust the curve of her cheek, and give her an almost mischievious quality.
Anjolie Quinn
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Sarcastic

Post by Anjolie Quinn »

Elizabeth gave a nod as the woman sounded out her name. The list of possible areas of employment seemed most promising indeed. That being said she would want to speak with Quinn before they took on a new hire. Plump hand closed around her glass of iced tea and the ice cubes within chimed like bells as the water swished them against the side of the glass.

Well, Miss Lerida, it sounds like we migh' have a place for ya afterall. I will, o' course, have ta talk wit' my business partner 'bout bringin' on somebody new. We've had some trouble wit' young hires in th' past an Quinn likes ta meet all the new faces before we bring 'em on long term. I'm sure you can understand tha'."

A broad smile offered to the young girl. It was at that moment when Hank decided to poke his head around the corner and give an urgent sort of wave at Elizabeth.

"Can't ya seem I'm busy?"

Hank had an almost serene smile on his face at Elizabeth's snappy response. This was like a game the two of them had going. "Sorry, Ms. Bridges... but I though' ya'd like ta know yer timer jus' went off."

Elizabeth rolled her eyes. Of course the men would think it important for her not to mess up their food. "Be righ' there."

A sweet smile was once again flashed to the young woman. "I do want ta tell you tha' we provide any lodgin' an' meals our employees migh' need. There's a separate set o' cabins along th' side forty tha' we keep for our farm hands."

A sigh passed her lips as a paper was handed across the desk with a list of possible jobs the woman might be required to fulfill when under the employ of the Golden Sun. Most of these jobs had already been listed in her own address.

"Hank is in charge o' th' farm whenever Anjolie isn't around. She mostly takes care o' the shows an' birthin's. I figure she'll probably want ta train her ya'self, but she an' Cory have been busy wit' their swords trainin' of late."

Elizabeth took a sniff at the air and then rose from her seat. Eyes darted down to the young lady.

"Ya welcome ta stay fer lunch iffin' ya'd like. Migh' be able ta reach Anjolie on 'er cell phone an' then move on from there. How does tha' sound?"
Lerida
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Lerida »

Fair game. A certain nod, smile still in place and she rose, a hand moving for the woman's cool-glass hand.

"I understand. I was only inquiring, anyhow. As for the cabins, I have a home, on the outskirts, so that won't be necessary. Kind of you, though"

Turning, she met Hank's gaze with a friendly smile, and a soft laugh as he left and Elizabeth addressed her once again.

"Lunch sounds great! And I am eager to see how this Quinn will take to me. I'm sure I'll find her well"

Another grin and she followed Elizabeth out of the room, her chest falling and all the fog within dissipating. She could do all she offered, and more, and was willing to do whatever it took to ensure the place ran smoothly. They both seemed of a lovely crowd, and she didn't feel one bit uneasy.

The only tension was the excitement pounding in her heart at the mention of the 'Swords', one of her motivations in seeking out this half of Rhy'Din Proper. Her eyes slanted as she smiled inwardly; perhaps this was one of those coincidences. Second time Lucky in Rhy'Din...
Anjolie Quinn
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Sarcastic

Post by Anjolie Quinn »

Elizabeth shook the young woman's hand before scurrying on past her and down the hallway to tend to her things in the kitchen. Right hand reached out and grasped the portable phone securely within her fingers. The speedial setting number 3 was pressed and the phone then tucked between the woman's head and her shoulder.

Hank came out from the living room to act as if he was being helpful. Elizabeth could hardly keep from glaring at him as he set out the glasses on the table. The farm manager then went to the refridgerator and pulled out a large pitcher of sweet tea which he set in the dead center of the table (knowing full well that Elizabeth would move it within the next five minutes).

His kind eyes shifted to rest on the young woman and he flashed an endearing smile. "Yer welcome ta come out 'ere an' watch th' match wit' us. We weren't able ta make it to th' Shadoweaver challenge 'tween Rakeesh and Matt Simon an' they're doin' replays on DZTV ta'day."

Hank gave a little look over his shoulder to make sure Elizabeth wasn't standing right there. "B'sides... Bridges starts ta squawk like a hen whenevah she an' Anjolie are talkin'." He winked at the young lady and then headed for the living room.

"Quinn?? --- Sorry ta bug ya dearie, but there's a prospective hire here inquirin' 'bout a job. ---- Her name's Lerida an' she seems up ta doin' whatev'r ya need her for..."

Elizabeth moved from the stove to the table and set out a large pan of greenbean casserole on a dish towel. Wise eyes looked to the young woman and she mouthed the words 'Make yourself comfortable' as quietly as possible. She then turned and moved back to the stove to pull off the rest of the food.

"Well, I know yer busy t'day wit' Cory an' tryin' ta git thin's t'gether in Ol' Market. I know. --- Well, she's stayin' ta have lunch wit' me an' th' boys. --- No, I'd quite like th' womanly company, thanks. --- Elizabeth laughed at something Quinn said into the phone. It was likely smart remark about the social skills of Hank, Chuck, and Bill. "Well, her name's Lerida an' I can go ahead an' setup an appointment fer th' two of ya ta meet. --- Yep. --- Naw, it's no biggie. I understand that'cha busy. --- No problem, Anj. I'll take care of it. --- Uh-huh... you too, love. --- Uh-huh... Bye."

The motherly woman pulled the last of the food from off the top of the stove and inside the oven. Altogether the spread consisted of home-baked breadbuns for fried chicken sandwiches, greenbean casserole, potato salad, fresh fruit salad, baked beans, and the savory smells of three, freshly baked apple pies. Ladies and gentlemen.... welcome to home cooking as brought to you by Elizabeth Bridges.

"Time fer lunch, boys!" Her large lungs filling up with air to sound the call which made all the employees' mouths water.

Return to “Tales from the Golden Sun”