Slaving the day away

Horses, farm hands, and stories from Rhydin's countryside. Welcome to the less refined side of town... we suggest you kick off your heels and slip on some boots.

Moderators: Cory, Anjolie Quinn

Cory
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
The IronMan

Slaving the day away

Post by Cory »

It was a Sunday. The men at Golden Sun Stables didn't work on Sunday's, but this morning Cory awoke bright and early. No sleeping beauty at his side to greet he went out his business. First on his list was a shower, then the chore of shaving. He stared at the mirror and the shadow covering his jaw.

"It's Sunday..." He grinned at the reflection and stepped away to get dressed. By this point he could hear signs of life elsewhere in the house. On his way out of the master bedroom he caught whiff of a brewing coffee filled his nostrils. Good, Hank was up and he'd need to know who was going to be working the stalls today.

He crossed paths with the man as he was returning from retrieving the paper. "Mornin', scout." Hank glanced away from the headlines long enough to avoid a collision.

"Same t'ya." Cory stepped in line to fill his mug, and sipped at the still steaming coffee. "We go' a coupl'a guest comin' to clean out the stable t'day."

"That so?" Hank's gaze never left the text. "They hard workers?"

"I would'na go tha' far. They may take some encouragement. I'll try 'n keep track o' Harris. He's prolly worst o' the two. Xerzes ain't gonna be 'ard to watch ov'ah.. jus' gettin' t'do the work. 'Cause it's two I may need ya help wit' one o'em." Cory studied his elder for a reaction. Pleantly surprised at what he had to say.

"No prob'em. Ain't like I got an'athin' better to do. You'd better not let them wreck our new stables if they's as bad as I'm hearin' from your tone." It was a little late, but Hank caught Cory with a tilted gaze that set the southerner off a step. His coffee spilling over onto his hand.

"Ya go' it." Biting through the boiling pain on his hand he slipped from the kitchen. Through the main living room and into the foyer he snatched the keys to his pickup from it's hanging place. He climbed into the cab and cracked up the engine. Idling, he placed his mug in the cup holder and browsed the radio stations until he built the courage to get underway down the gravel drive.

Get the worst over with first. That's what he repeated in his head to convince himself to track down Harris. He kept glancing at the given directions, until he arrived at the described location. There was one last sip of tepid coffee left and Cory sucked it down. He swung out of his seat and marched up to the front door. His knocking shaking the door on it's hinges.
"I took your guilt and placed it into me..."

Return to “Tales from the Golden Sun”