A Feast fit for Kings...

Horses, farm hands, and stories from Rhydin's countryside. Welcome to the less refined side of town... we suggest you kick off your heels and slip on some boots.

Moderators: Cory, Anjolie Quinn

Anjolie Quinn
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Sarcastic

A Feast fit for Kings...

Post by Anjolie Quinn »

The entire day before had been spent dusting, sweeping, scrubbing, and shopping. After a nine hour cleaning spree Elizabeth and Anjolie gave the house their seal of approval and declared it fit for guests. Dinner the night before had been ordered out to avoid overwhelming themselves with the task of fixing even more food for the rather large Golden Sun staff. As of right now the guest list was inching its way closer to thirty people. Aside from the staff and their family members, Anjolie had also taken it upon herself to invite Cory's sister Illusia, Azjah and her new husband Klinton, Rena (whom Cory owed a dinner to anyway), and Anjolie's "brother" Steven.

The house was filled with the smell of pumpkin spices and freshly cooked food. Quinn had taken it upon herself to do a bit of festive decorating around the ranch. A wicker wreath hung proudly upon the front door adorned with a lovely gold and deep orange bow. Stalks of corn and pumpkins were arranged around the outside lamp post along with a bail of straw to create an inviting holiday display.

Kallie had been spending most of her time making new drawings of various fall symbols and icons to hang on the refridgerator just in case someone should happen to walk by. Kallie was also in charge of helping Anjolie and Elizabeth with making their candies for dessert. A delectable variety of homemade turtles, pecan and pumpkin pies, Butterfinger cake, caramel apples, and peach cobbler had been finished by two o'clock that afternoon. The main dishes were being hastily prepared by the two women up until the first guests arrived.

Hank, Cory, Bill, and Charlie were all outside with the younger men finishing up on getting the horses looking in top shape as well as working the grounds. Anjolie had made it very clear that the front lawns were to look more inviting than the gates of Heaven. The spare tidbits of lumber and tarps were taken into a store room in the stables. Fresh grain brought sweet smelling perfumes into the nostrils of the caretakers and equines alike. The dogs had been bathed and their pens freshly blanketed with a thick coat of straw.

It was lucky for the two women that an industrial sized oven had been installed upon purchasing the ranch. The enormous meal consisted of an obnoxiously large (and somewhat reluctant to want to be finished cooking) turkey, homemade mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, stuffing, sweet potato casserole, buttered corn, baked macaroni and cheese (upon Kallie's request), glazed ham, and a rather big assortment of cornbread, biscuits, and dinner rolls. The cold dishes included all sorts of vegetable, fruit and pasta salads and Elizabeth's famous deviled eggs, which were mysteriously disappearing from their container as the day went on.

The oak dining table was set with ivory colored plates of porcelain and matching sets of silverware atop a beautiful tablecloth of assorted fall colors with golden accents and hanging tassles. Cinnamon apple scented candles were lit with care and placed in the center of the spread along with a bowl of fresh fruit. Everything was in its place and ready to be enjoyed by the gathering coming to enjoy its bounty. On top of everything else Hank had taken time out of his day to make sure he circled the game times on the T.V. Guide and fluffed the pillows for the men to converge for their post-meal "conversations".

Elizabeth tended to the rest of the preparation as Anjolie ran upstairs to get changed into the burgundy sweater and jeans she'd picked out for the occasion. Kallie played happily in her room with her pigtails bouncing along as she moved. One by one the men filed into the room as the clock struck 5:45 and sung out its ringing tune. Let the Feast begin...
Last edited by Anjolie Quinn on Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Even some stories that seem to have been going for ages must eventually come to an end."
Illusia
Adventurer
Adventurer

Chaos...

Post by Illusia »

"Mom, my hair will nae stay in place!"

"Dad did Eradice take my shoe again?"

"Mommy are we leavin yet?"

"Love, where is the brush?"

Nothing save chaos reigned at the Drasoini home as she bustled and hustled everyone around the house. By the waterclock they were going to be late, and how she had hated to be late for anything! She'd had hoped it to be as normal as possible, she'd planned to take a carriage to the Ranch, but by the looks of it, she'd have to cheat just slightly to get them there at a semblance of a decent time.

Setiva's hair would not stay in place, Kolanos couldn't find his shoe...Dracos couldn't find the brush...Wee Max was drooling all over every shirt she'd tried to put him in...Illusia was falling apart.

The twins were now nineteen winters passed, Amber their step-sister was a mere thirteen and to the imagination, she and young Max were the only ones ready to go. Of course this was thirteen outfits later and nearly three dozen shirts.

Amber had made a picture for her Aunt Anjolie and her Uncle Cory, and earlier they had gone shopping for something to bring. Each child had found something to bring along with them...To Illusia, the mortal holiday of Thanksgiving was to give thanks for those that they held dear and for what they had had in their lives...perhaps much like an earlier version of the mortal holiday they called Christmas...And with that came nothing but chaos. Amber had found a marvelous little dress for Kallie, Setiva had found an ivory white Teddy Bear for Kallie as well. Kolanos on the other hand had thought of his Aunt and Uncle, and with much disagreement and arguing, she'd allowed him to purchase some sort of mortal machine...Illusia had deemed it nothing but a heap of scrap metal...Kolanos had countered and said that his Uncle Cory would fix "her" up. (This would be in layman's term's, a 1970 Ford Mustang Mach 1, beat up and in desparate need of work and repairs.)

She'd managed to finally get everyone straight, all clothing, all shoes, hair and assortments...Illusia felt frazzled and worn even before the festivities could have even begun. She'd had all of the family seated on the couch, though regretably Ilonean and Rak could not be with them for the holidays as they'd had to return to the lands to take care of some minor issues for Illusia, she nodded at the Drasoini family with a smile and a light in her eyes that would cause one's hear to melt.

"Well then, are we ready ta make our appearance then?"

Everyone nodded in agreement, having deemed today much of a chaotic ramble, so gifts abundant in the children's hands, Illusia's famous never-ending platter of chocolate brownies in Dracos' arms and wee Max in her own, they'd made toward the door to head next to Kolanos' present, when Amber stopped dead in her tracks, staring at her mother. Illusia tried to nudge her forward through the door.

"Come now darlin', twill be alright. I assure ye, tha yer Uncle Ecorian an Aunt Anjolie twill adore ye m'dear, nae 'ave ana fear e'er o' such."

And with that the teenager burst into a fit of laughter pointing at her mother. Illusia furrowed her brows, thinking it a simple ploy as to not be drawn out or perhaps to prolong the gathering and then the rest of the Drasoini's chimed in to the laughter. Illusia stomped her foot, hefting wee Max to her other hip. To her feet wore the emerald green lush robe, her hair was in total dissarray and on her feet were the huge teddy bear slippers that Amber had given her for her birthday this year.

"Wha' in tha name o' tha Mystik's are ye all laughin' at?"

The look in Illusia's eyes was fire enough to burn down the polar ice caps, and so the laughter ceased, but there was something in Dracos' eyes that twinkled with mischief, a huff as she nudged them out the door and towards the heap of scrap metal. Simply whispered words and an arc of her hand brought the entire family to the ranch house doors where she raised her hand and rapped on the door, in hopes of being heard well over the roust of people inside...
Illusia Aradia Marcine-Drasoini
Proud wife of Dracos Drasoini
Former Two time Keeper of Fire
55th Mage of Twilight Isle
~*~Do not get to close to the fires, for you will indeed be burned by the love found within~*~
Cory
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
The IronMan

Post by Cory »

"I go' it!"

At the sounds of guests at the door Cory sprung from his seat on the couch. Stalling and backpedaling to the mirror passed he takes a moment to make himself presentable. Fingers combed his hair back into place, then swiped away any fuzzies clinging to the black fabric. He then pressed onward through the foyer and tugged open the door.

"Ah, well lookie who we go' 'ere! Ya'll c'mon in! Glad ya'll could make it."

Elated to see his sister and the whole Drasioni clan with her. His niece and nephew, who he hasn't seen or spoken to in ages. There we also new additions to their family that he had only heard stories about. Illusia, Setiva and Amber each received a warm hug. Dracos and Kolanos getting a hearty handshake.

"'n who've we go' 'ere?" First his attention went to young lady Amber. Her first instinct was to offer up the drawing she had made, then immediately slinking back to hide behind Illusia. Cory lowered his body down to her level. He didn't want to appear overly intimidating.

"Thank ya sweet'eart. Excellent work, I know ya 'n Kallie gonna have much to chat 'bout." Cory gave her a wink before straightening. There was a long moment of silence as he stared at Illusia and her chosen attire. He thought of his words carefully before daring to speak again.

"Love the slippers, sis. They go great wit' the gown. Not to mention ya hair, lookin' like a true beauty queen." Rapidly changing the subject before she could rustle up some kind of retaliation. Now he went to the little one cradled in Illusia's arm.

"This li'l leaky faucet mus' be Max." He tried not to laugh noting the drool soaked shirt. A brief tickle to the baby's cheek roused a giggle. Sparing a look between his sister and Dracos, it was hard to decipher who he took after more. Then it donned on him. He'd been standing in the door way, blocking their entry.

"Geez, sorry. Plum f'got my manners. Ya'll come in. I'll take ya coats, 'n fo' a small donation ya'll just may get'em back by evenin's end." Spoken with a teasing smirk. He held out an arm as each draped their coats over, which he transferred to the rack. He hadn't even noticed the rather large, rusting vehicle parked in the drive as he nudged the door closed.

"Go on, make ya'selves comfortable. I'm gonn go inform Anjolie the first wave has arrived." Grinning ear to ear Cory bounded up the stairs by two and knocked on her bedroom door.
"I took your guilt and placed it into me..."
Anjolie Quinn
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Sarcastic

Post by Anjolie Quinn »

The intricately woven wool threads of Anjolie's off the shoulder sweater were being tugged at desperately in order to tuck in the tags. The white camisole she wore underneath added a nice compliment along with her Seven jeans and brown leather boots. A second look in the mirror was interrupted by the entrance of Kallie into the bedroom. The little girl ran over and grabbed Quinn's perfume bottle, handing it to her mother. The smell of cinnamon and roses rained down on both of them. Anjolie bent down to kiss her daughter on the cheek as the sounds of movement downstairs brought them both quickly back to their senses.

"Are ya deaf, woman? Somebody's a' tha door." Hank informed Elizabeth as she was putting the finishing touches on arranging the plate of turtles. An outright glare was given to him.

"Oh? An' am I the only one that's got arms 'round here?" Elizabeth placed the final candy on the plate. She then turned and headed towards the hallway. "So help me dear God if you even breath on one a' them turtles I'll have you in a world of pain." The man grinned from ear to ear as the biddy rounded the corner into the foyer.

Elizabeth caught sight of Cory heading to open the door and she returned to the kitchen. A rather alarmed Hank had just finished stuffing a big turtle into his mouth. Nearly choking on it, he took off running and could be seen darting across the hall in the background as the door opened. Elizabeth took hold of a towel, knotting it in places so she'd be able to quickly wallop Hank whenever she caught up with him later.

Catching sight of Cory darting upstairs to fetch Quinn and Kallie, Elizabeth showed the Drasoini family into the living room off to the right of the hallway.

"Welcome, my dears. I'm Elizabeth Bridges, Anjolie's partner in business." The woman shook hands with the adults and began looking over the children.

Kallie ran to open the door whenever Cory knocked. The ponytails bobbed up and down as she twirled around. "Don' we look preeeetty, dad-dee?" Another circle given for good measure. Quinn smiled at the display and then looked over at Cory.

"Ya look angelic, princess." He bent down to place a kiss on his daughter's forehead. She took off running down the stairs to meet their guests. Quinn walked into the doorway and smiled at Cory.

"An' you look jus' gorgeous." A wink being given as he pulled her in for a kiss. The embrace was returned full force. Anjolie managed to make her way through the entrance and into the hallway. "Ya don't look half bad, yerself. Who is that downstairs?"

"It's Lus an' her family. Wasn't sure if ya heard 'em." Anjolie nodded in response and headed downstairs. Cory followed close behind. The living room was buzzing with noise as they entered and Anjolie flung her arms wide open to embrace her dearest friend.

"Hey, guys!! So happy to see you could make it!!"
"Even some stories that seem to have been going for ages must eventually come to an end."
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

New Traditions

Post by Azjah von Drachen Walde »

We hadn’t been back from Rigel a week yet, but I found the invitation from Anjolie inviting us to her ranch for what she called a ‘Thanksgiving’ dinner. The shock of the assassination of the only Kaiser I’d ever known had not yet worn off, and our investiture ceremony had been small and subdued as we swore fealty to Prince Wolfgang. We’d have to go back to annual fealty renewals, and the next time the Prince would be Kaiser Wolfgang.

I debated thanking Anjolie for the invitation but declining until I realized that most of my staff wanted the holiday I hadn’t known about off. Alright, we would go, and I sent the acceptance reply to Dyson for delivery.

Klinton had gone back to practicing for his season, and the Great Room was silent as I did some research into this holiday, and what the traditions were. The majority of what I discovered was that it was an old tradition for families and friends to congregate and celebrate the blessings of friends and family. This was done by having a large meal, which tended to include turkey, dressings, winter squashes, baked potatoes, cranberry sauces, pumpkin pies, and assorted breads and rolls. It sounded like entirely too much food, but the idea of bringing family and friends together was not lost on me. Anjolie was inviting Klinton and I into her home as friends.

There is a similar celebration on Rigel at a different time of the year, and I wondered if she would enjoy a taste of my home to include in this feast of celebration. Heading for the kitchens, I found André stressing over a new recipe he was trying to get to his satisfaction.

“André? I would ask a favor of you.”

He looked up at me as though I had startled him. “Oui?”

“There is a Rigelian recipe for cranberry chutney, I would like to have it made and sent to Anjolie Quinn for her Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow.”

He looked at me in abject horror, “Tomorrow?”

Laughing, I explained to him that it would take him less than 30 minutes to make, and that yes, tomorrow it was needed. We talked over the ingredients, he would need fresh cranberries, diced apples, chopped and dried apricots, ground cloves, freshly ground ginger and cinnamon, honey, and a bit of grated orange peel. It was not like the sauces I’ve had here, and I hoped it would be something the rest of the guests would enjoy.

I left my chef muttering as he made a shopping list and prepared to go retrieve the ingredients he would need for both recipes.

Stopping by the work out room Klinton had created in the Palazzo, I told him I was going to the flower shop to obtain flowers for our hostess, and would return in a bit. Lucien materialized out of the corner, offering to drive. He drove the Enzo for me, and I enjoyed the feeling of being back in RhyDin. There is a feeling of ease here that I never feel in Rigel. Hopefully the horrors of the attempt on Klinton’s life, and the death of 2 peers, and the Kaiser himself would be over. Kendrick would never come to RhyDin. He knows I would turn him in to the authorities in a heartbeat. A weight seemed to lift from my shoulders as we stopped at the flower shop.

The owner met me at the counter, and I told her that I would like a table arrangement of orange lilies, salmon genestra, peach roses, and white ginger for the dining table. Yes, taper candles would be fine, in cranberry would be better than white or ivory. She promised it to be ready in an hour, and Lucien and I left to wander the city streets for that time.

It felt good to simply walk. Something we hadn’t been able to do for the last couple of weeks. Lucien remained silent as I paused in front of Ariel’s shop. After a moment of consideration, I stepped through the front doors.

She greeted me first, and shot her brother a quick smile. The portrait was ready, if I would follow her into the back I could see it. The woman is a gifted artist. She had captured Klinton’s image just as I saw him, but she’d left off his wedding ring. I pointed that out to her, and she gave me a chagrinned smile, admitting that something had told her to hold off, but now that we were back, and the marriage had happened, she would be happy to add it to the portrait.

It seemed many doubted that would really happen. Even I doubted for awhile, but it was done, and there was no way short of death we could un-do it. The Prince made sure to advise me that he felt as his father did about such things, and as we’d stood in front of witnesses and promised to G~d our, no, his, oaths, we would never see a Writ of Dissolution. Some things never change.

We returned to the florist to retrieve the centerpiece, and this time I let Lucien ride. I wanted to take the car myself. It felt good to be home.

The next morning, we took the flowers and André’s culinary creation with us to Anjolie’s home. The drive was uneventful, and we parked the McLaren behind Anjolie’s truck. There were people already there, and the scent of autumn clung to the air. The barn was finished, and horses had their heads lowered to graze in the paddocks. It was a peaceful scenario as we exited the car.

I curled an arm around Klinton's and we headed for the front door. Lucien remained with the car as we paused to knock upon the door.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Baroness von Drachen Walde
Illusia
Adventurer
Adventurer

Time with Loved Ones...

Post by Illusia »

The smells were incredible as they had waited at the door for someone to let them in, it had even made Illusia's stomach ache with want as she licked her lips shaking her head...Then the door opened and they were greeted by the charming man she'd had the honors of calling brother...

Warmth and love that they'd all been greeted with, almost caused her to forget the chaos that was of the morning and the nights...That was until her brother decided to comment on her attire and appearance. Aghast she'd looked down at herself and groaned..."Goo' 'eaven's. Where tis m' min' at these days?" She'd watched as her brother bolted up the stairs, her own thoughts that she would repay him in kind sooner or later...Another shake of her head as she leaned into Dracos, a whisper as he nodded and arranged the family around her. Grinning, a whispered word, brought her attire and appearance to the better as she looked fashionably stunning in her bronze evening gown, her hair swept up in a simple twist, leaving a few stray strands here and there, a bit lingering at the nape of her neck, she'd just finished in the nick of time as the voice rang out to them, the children parted and she'd offered a nod to the woman after shaking her hand. She'd introduced each and every Drasoini' in turn to Elizabeth and offered a warm smile. "Thank ye fer 'avin us. E'erthin' smells wonderful." She couldn't help it as young Amber piped in..."When can we eat? I'm hungry." The teen pouted to her newly found friend. Illusia was slightly embarassed as she quieted the teen and Elizabeth merely laughed.

They'd not had much time at all for idle banter, as she'd watched the departing Elizabeth who'd walked off mumbling something about disappearing turtles when she'd seen an Anjolie flying towards her arms open. She'd laughed and embraced her friend, a quick brush of her cool lips to her cheek as she spoke. "Thank ye fer 'avin us all m'dear. Tis nae an easy chore ta get all o' tha Drasoini's together at one time." The children each greeted their Aunt and she could only laugh when Max was taken from her arms and hitched to Anjolie's hip. "Now now Anjolie m'dear, ye dinnae nee' ta..." But she was cut short with a wave of her hand as Anjolie cooed to the babe and took him towards the kitchen to see what was going on.

Dracos had wandered off outside for a moment's fresh air, Setiva had followed her Aunt, Kolanos was worried about the car and went to check on it, Amber had taken off runnin after lil Kallie which had left her alone with Ecorian. She turned to her brother as each part of the Drasoini family went this way and that a bit pre-occupied. "Tis goo' ta see ye 'appy once 'gain brother. I am most please' fer ye." She smiled to him and stood on tip toe to brush her cooler lips against his own cheek and stood back, surveying him with a wicked grin. "Ye knows I will get ye back fer tha comment earlier, nae?" She'd not had much time to herself with her brother to inquire of Anjolie's sleep before Kallie and Amber came runnin through the house, screeling and laughing at the top of their lungs, Kolanos quick to follow as he stepped beside his Uncle. "Scuse me Uncle Cory, but I need to show you something if you have a moment."
Illusia Aradia Marcine-Drasoini
Proud wife of Dracos Drasoini
Former Two time Keeper of Fire
55th Mage of Twilight Isle
~*~Do not get to close to the fires, for you will indeed be burned by the love found within~*~
Klinton Caer
Adventurer
Adventurer

A Public Appearance

Post by Klinton Caer »

We had finally returned from Rigel. While being there only a few days, it had seemed like an eternity. We spent our first few days mostly keeping to the Palazzo, getting settled, and growing accustom to married life. The dueling season was beginning...I was in the training room alot. Preparing and getting myself in shape.

A few days after arrival, Azjah announced that Anjolie had invited us to her Thanksgiving dinner. I was not sure what to think. Azjah and I had only recently arrived. This dinner would be our first real public appearance as a married couple. I had met Anjolie, but only briefly when she was touring the Palazzo. Would I know anyone else there?

It dawned on me that I would, inevitably know somone else there. Cory would certainly be there. Azjah and I discussed it and decided that it would be nice to go. After all that had happened with Anjolie, we certainly felt obligated to go as well. When you go through things like that, you always need a friend...and we Azjah and her were friends.

Azjah and I got into the car on the way to the dinner and my mind immediately shot to the other person I might know there.

Cory.

The man who had attacked my wife.

I had decided the moment we found out about the dinner that if we went, I would be polite, and act with dignity.

He had attacked my wife.

He had mentioned that he wanted to 'bury the hatchet' so to speak. That he felt bad for attacking her the way he did....he wanted to be on better terms with them.

He had attacked my wife.

I would be civil. That's all there is to it. We were not here for him. We were here as guests of Anjolie. Azjah trusted Anjolie. We had merely accepted a dinner invitation. This did not have to be anything major. Worst case scenario, I would merely ignore Cory completely, and focus on the other guests.

We stepped out of the car, walking to the door. Azjah wrapped her arm around mine, and we knocked. THere was only one though in my mind...

He had attacked my wife.
Anjolie Quinn
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Sarcastic

Post by Anjolie Quinn »

The hustle and bustle of the arriving guests had Anjolie running around like a chicked with its head cut off. Illusia's arrival had been welcomed with hugs and kisses as she cooed over the children. Anjolie had never really met Illusia's children. She knew very well that her friend was a relatively private person and would rarely ask much about her personal life unless it seemed like it was being offered. A trumpeting laugh was accompanied by a serene smile as she pulled baby Max close to her and carried him around the house. It was then she had heard the knock at the door.

Anjolie scooted past the others with ease as Elizabeth started filling drink orders with the options of sweet tea, unsweetened tea, and soda for the kids or oddball adult. The baby was being tickled and entertained as the front door opened to reveal the rest of their guests. Kallie and Amber had raced to see who was there at the sound. Anjolie adjusted Max slightly to make it easier to hold the door open for Azjah and Klinton.

"Welcome to the madhouse. Happy to see that you both were able to make it. Sorry to have kept you waiting. Please, come on in!"

Shielding the baby from the light breeze, Anjolie watched as the pair walked in to the house. At the entrance of the new guests, Hank emerged from the living room with a welcoming smile. Anjolie turned to shut the door and then resume her game with baby Max. A rough hand was extended in greeting to Klinton as Hank respectfully bowed his head to Azjah.

"Welcome, folks. Would you like me ta' take that there food fer ya?"

Gesturing to the dish as he spoke. Quinn eyed him for a second to make sure his intentions with said dish were pure. She wrote it off as Hank's attempt to be a gentleman. He wasn't the classiest of men, but he had a good heart. Anjolie bounced the baby lightly in her arms as he drooled and giggled.

"Illusia tells me you already know baby Max here. She and the rest of the clan are in the living and dining rooms already. At least, I assume that's where they are."

She was already finding it hard to keep track of the clan as they scattered about through the house. She'd heard the young man say something to Cory and had no idea what was going on there. Despite her current confusion, Anjolie escorted the guests happily into the living room as Hank took off with the cranberry dish to deliver it to Elizabeth. He knew well the consequences he'd face if he tried to taste it ahead of time and wasn't feeling brave enough to encourage the wrath of an already stressed Elizabeth.
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Azjah von Drachen Walde »

Anjolie opened the door, and the sounds of laughter and voices drifted out through the front door. Anjolie was holding a baby in her arms, and I took an involuntary step back, standing slightly behind Klinton's shoulder as she invited us inside.

Hank appeared with a broad grin, shook Klinton's hand and offered me a quick nod before offering to take the cranberries to the kitchen. I handed him the crystal bowl, as he promptly disappeared into other parts of the house.

Anjolie was still holding onto the baby, for which I silently said a quick prayer of thanks, indicating that the others were in the living room and dining room. We'd never been inside her home, but it was easy enough to follow the laughter.

We joined the group in the diningroom, and the holiday festivities were soon enveloping everyone in the spirit of the season.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Baroness von Drachen Walde

Return to “Tales from the Golden Sun”