Start of a new Day

Horses, farm hands, and stories from Rhydin's countryside. Welcome to the less refined side of town... we suggest you kick off your heels and slip on some boots.

Moderators: Cory, Anjolie Quinn

Anjolie Quinn
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Sarcastic

Start of a new Day

Post by Anjolie Quinn »

The house was stirring with the usual morning business as two violet eyes opened with a considerable amount of resistance and exhaustion. A soft groan of dismay was soon replaced with the loveliest of smiles. Her arm reached out to take hold of the nearby bathrobe. The newly found peace of the morning was soon replaced with a rather aggressive banging on the door. Anjolie stirred reluctantly, pulling herself up from the mountain of pillows and blankets to walk slowly to her bedroom door. Her fingers flexed slightly before turning the knob and unleashing the backlash she knew was coming.

“Why is he here?!” Elizabeth barked in a ferocious tone, letting herself into the room as she began to look around for some incriminating evidence. She would find none.

“Does it not matter to you that he’s been sleeping with another woman? That he was moaning her name in your absence?” Elizabeth was huffing and puffing, stopping in her search to glare into Quinn’s face. Anjolie, while appalled by her obvious lack of tact, managed to keep a hand on her temper.

“No, dearie. It doesn’t. Everyone deserves a second chance. He’d give it to me. Why should I not be able to overlook his mistakes and give it to him?”

Elizabeth practically snarled at Quinn as she stared the woman down. “Repeated sex with another woman is not a mistake… it’s a sinful desire. It’s a disgrace to the name of love.”

As Anjolie’s eyes flashed into a fiery, crimson display Elizabeth took her cue to leave. Quinn caught the door as she attempted to slam it in Anjolie’s face. Quinn frowned deeply and then began to walk down the hallway to Kallie’s bedroom.

The sounds of stomping feet and laughter soon revealed a very happy scene as Quinn pushed open the door. Kallie was brandishing a “magic wand” like a sword to defeat the dreadful monster that was Cory. Disney Princess voices were being cast out in his direction from the plastic, pink wand. Anjolie smiled from ear to ear and waved her fingers lightly at the pair.

“Good morning, kids…” The smile on her face twisting into a semi sarcastic expression. “..having fun?”

Whatever Cory was going to respond with was promptly cut off by the figure of Kallie screaming and running over to jump into Quinn’s arms.

“Mommy, Mommy!!! Daddy was here when I got woke’d up. Is jus’ like in my dream!!”

Kallie gave her mother a toothy grin as she then struggled to get back down. Quinn released her daughter as she shot down the hallway to go say Good Morning to the rest of the household. Quinn smiled at her daughter as she ran off and, as she was watching, an arm snaked around her waist. She closed her eyes momentarily and then wheeled around to face her beloved beau.

“Good mornin’, sweets.” Cory said with a smile as he held her in his grasp. Quinn exhaled a sigh of comfort and relief. She pushed herself up on tip-toes to place a little peck on the line of his jaw.

“Mmm… a good morning, indeed. You slept well, I trust?”

Cory nodded and then tipped his head in the direction of the door. “I though’ I heard a bit o’ raised voices down th’ hall. Everythin’ alright?”

Quinn hid the frown she’d been able to display earlier. A rather slow and hesitant nod of her head was given. “It’ll be fine. Just getting a bit of harassing. We all know what that’s like.”

Before Cory would have a chance to respond she took him by the hand and started heading in the direction of the hallway.

“C’mon, you… Kallie needs breakfast and she’ll want to be mimicking you as she eats.”

He chuckled happily, knowing it was all too true.

“God, I love tha’ kid.”

“You’d better… because she absolutely adores you. And girls love any man who makes their dreams come true.”

While Quinn couldn’t be sure… she thought she’d noticed the distinct signs of a proud smile and a blush come to her Cory’s face. Without another word spoken, she dragged him on down to meet the rest of the gang for breakfast and what looked to be the start of a rather promising day.
"Even some stories that seem to have been going for ages must eventually come to an end."
Cory
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
The IronMan

Post by Cory »

Being led down the stairs they joined in the bottleneck at the door leading to the dining room. Kallie meanwhile managed to squeeze and slither her way past the web of legs and climbed into her chair. One by one they filed to their seats and plates set before them. Still Cory couldn't escape the glares being cast in his direction.

"Don't just look at it like it's looking back at you. It's going to get cold." Quinn stabbed through the silence with a bit a light humor. She tried to reassure Cory with a smile before bringing a forkful to her mouth.

True to form Kallie had fork in hand with her pre-cut pancake ready, waiting for Cory to take his first taste of the traditional southern style breakfast. Every so often he would throw a curve ball to get a gigglefit as she tried to correct herself. "Stop trickin me, daddy!"

"I'm not doin' an'athin', I'm tryin' to eat but ya distractin' me." He protested and drank a bit of orange juice. Meanwhile the other end of the table was eerily silent aside from the clinks of metal to porcelain. Cory dared to sweep a glance down the way and found Elizabeth still glaring. In his own attempt the lighten the mood of those surrounding them he cracked a joke at his own expense. "Wha'... am I gettin' it all over ma'self? Do i nee to put a trough in my lap to catch the spillover?"

While he did manage to get a chuckle out of some, Elizabeth only narrowed her eyes and shook her head. He had tried and failed for the most part. Cory's shoulder lifted and fell in a shrug as he turned his attention to Quinn.

"So what're your plans for today, dearie?" She caught the silent cue, knowing it best to get them talking about something.

"To be honest, I had been hopin' ya'll let me help with the stables. I know mos' the work is done, but I'm sure ya'll can use an extra set of hands and a strong back...?" Cory's question posed to the other half of the Golden Sun. He knew what Quinn would say, but he wanted their approval first.

Thankfully Hank was the first to speak up. Beth dropped back in her chair, biting her tongue. "I ain't got a prob'em wit' it. Ya right though, mos'o the work is done. Jest need to finish the roofin' 'n outfittin' the stalls. From wha' I hear you go' some 'perience wit' this kinda work so I'm sure I'll find some'in' fo' you." And he went back to stuffing syrup soaked pancakes down his gullet. The others nodded, their mouths already full.

Quinn's features brightened as she turned back from cleaning Kallie's face of syrup. She beamed at dazzling smile across to Cory. "Sounds like you got your day cut out for you. I'll need to take a trip into town and speak with Ms. Danaan. I should be back before supper. You behave yourselves while I'm gone." Having other duties to attend to she picked up her plate and carried it to the sink. Elizabeth was quick to do the same.

"I do 'preciate this. I ain't gonna start no troubles. Tha' right half-pint?" Cory elbowed Kallie playfully. One by one the others cleaned their plates and disappeared. He too joined them out on the front porch, waiting for Hank to finish his coffee and delegate out orders for the day.

"Me 'n you gonna be puttin' the shingles on the roof, " Hank nodded in Cory's direction. "everybody else can get to working on the inside." Without a single gripe or complaint they marched off the front porch and headed toward the new stables. The younger help had become more lively with a their stomachs bursting at the seams. Swapping jokes back and forth and stories of their weekend trip to the bars.
"I took your guilt and placed it into me..."
Cory
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
The IronMan

Post by Cory »

The day seemed to zip by with everyone hard at work. With the sounds of the lunch bell being rung the men on the ground literally dropped what they were doing and sprinted out of the stables. Hank and Cory took a more calm and collected approach. First Hank descended from the roof, followed soon after by Cory. The man was a few years his senior and needn't do much to earn Cory's respect. His work ethic reminded him of someone very familiar.

"We keep this pace and ya be bringin' the horses back by next week." Cory started up a bit of small talk as the two strolled back to the ranch house. It was the first time they had said a word since getting started.

Hank tended to keep a more pessimistic outlook on things since the night of the attack. He adjusted the brim of his hat and shoved his hands into his pockets. "Yah, tha's'a possibility. Plenty of hard days ahead."

En route Cory took a gander around back, finding a swing set and further back a large above ground pool. This went well with his intentions of his own personal addition. He wasn't thinking selfishly, more something Quinn could enjoy and later in life even Kallie might get into. Cory jogged back around just in time to catch a look from Hank.

"Wha'cha lookin' fo'?" Hank held the door open, patiently waiting for the man to catch up.

The southerner paused at the base of the stairs. "Oh nothin', jus' go' a l'il somethin' up my sleeve. Listen, while Quinn's out I'm gonna skip lunch and make a run into town. Ther're some things I need'a get." He got only a shrug in response from Hank as he slipped inside.

Hastily he hops into the pickup and pulls down the gravel drive. Knowing full well he wouldn't be back in the usual hour allotted for lunch he was in no hurry. Soon the pickup parked outside a lumber yard. There was some haggling back and forth before he got the desired bargain on the lumber. Plank by plank he filled the bed of his truck to the brim and then some.

"This oughta be 'nuff to get me started. 'Least the framework..." Grinning to himself he tossed out a thankful wave to the yard owner and headed back to the countryside. Hank and the others were well into their jobs by the time he returned and drove the truck around back to keep it hidden from Quinn. A tarp was also added to cover the bed and it's cargo.

Cory joined Hank atop the roof once more, immediately finding where he left off at lunch and putting hammer to nails. Pausing only briefly to answer Hank's questions

"Wha'cha got there? 'N why'd ya pull it 'round back?"

"S'a surprise for Quinn." Still grinning ear to ear. "Figure while I got the time off from work I'd keep myself busy 'n behave. Like she said. Jus' dun tell'er, trying to keep it a secret as long as I can."

"'ey, more pow'a to ya then." There was nothing more from Hank as he too went back to hammering shingles in place. They would all work like busy little bees until the chimes of the bell announcing dinner. Much like lunch the younger members dropped everything and darted toward the house. Hank and Cory taking their precious time.
Cory
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
The IronMan

Post by Cory »

The roofing completed, Hank and Cory switched their efforts to helping the others in outfitting the last remaining stalls. Six pairs of hands all working in unison toward a common goal eased the workload of each man. Before they knew it all that remained was to hang shelving and hooks in the storage room and clean up. Hank, Bill and Cory took the aforementioned upon themselves, leaving the joyous task of clean-up to the underlings.

"Wha'd I tell ya'll, 'fore the week is out we'd be finished." Cory cracked a smirk, which Hank was swift to match. Something he hadn't seen the man do since making the aquaintence

"Yah, bu' I could'a tol'ja tha'." Hanks' voice was drowned out by Bill working the table saw. The two shared a chuckle and measured out the spacing while Bill continued to saw away.

It hadn't taken them more than an hour to wrap that up. Now they started hanging up the various equipment. Saddles, blankets, shoes, bridles etc., all had their place now. With everyone gathered inside Hank took the opportunity to announce that all equipment was organized and was to remain that way.

"Anyone caught leavin' saddles, bits, bridles 'n the like outside or on the floo' gets the job of cleanin' the stables tha' day. Ya'll und'astand?" He swept a glare over each in turn, waiting for acknowledgement. It was more oft than not he had to collect items left strewn about. Some had been left out in the rain and rusted and now not worth using.

"Yessir..." They all answered in monotone.

"Good then, ya'll ge' outta 'ere 'n wash up. It's almost lunch time." Hank motioned them out the doors, not like he needed to. They dispersed like roaches when the lights are switched on. Meanwhile the trio of Bill, Hank and Cory admired the completed stables. As they toured, they tested the gates, locks and other doors for any signs of problems before the stock returned. Everything looked in tip-top shape and they too took leave.

Hank slapped Cory on the back. "Good job, son. Wish we could'a had ya 'round 'ere earlier. Ya a rare breed 'o hard worker. If only those youngins were more like ya this place would run lik'a well oiled machine."

"I jus' 'preciate ya'll lettin' he hang 'round and help out." Cory stuffed his hands into his pockets and strolled along side.

"Yah, 'n wha' 'bout me?" Bill piped up, looking at Hank expectantly. All he got was booming laugh. Hank and Bill had worked together enough to know they need not give praise to one another. Shaking his head the older man led the way into the ranch house, peering over a shoulder at the new stables. A satisfied nod to himself and he disappears inside.

Return to “Tales from the Golden Sun”