Potentials found

The revival of the dread Legion of Midnight takes place in RhyDin; a dark temple rising to honor Asmodeus, Grim Lord of the Nine Hells.

Moderators: Raevyx_Araya, Vitus Rustovich, Rhaine

Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Potentials found

Post by Rhaine »

She walked into the inn, calm as always. At least on the outside. She used semi-official dress code, the only thing indicating her affiliation and rank being bishop medallion. For a while she pondered about a drink, when a young male that was seemingly replacing bartender, asked if anyone needed drinks.
" I would trouble you a bit. A glass of Chardonnay if possible," priestess spoke calmly.
"Coming right up, m'lady," his voice didn't have the high pitch and questioning rise of tone in the end of the phrase - features that disgusted her in the slavelike pronounce of G'fenvass followers. The young man found a sufficiently chilled bottle of wine she asked for, poured a glass and handed it to Rhaine with a warm smile. " Here you are."
She deposited several heavy silver coins in payment, and took a long sip of wine. Precisely the temperature. There was something about this boy... Halfbreed! She recognized the typical traces of heterosis lines in his spectrum. For a while she quietly watched him. Interesting. Different from the brainless Dimitri she had known from the Adventurer Guild. The manner of participating in harmless chat differed. More intelligent, less arrogant. Could be used, was her verdict.

"Need a refill yet?", the halfelf asked, taking a quick look at her glass after a while.
" I drink for taste, not for alcohol," she replied coldly. " You're going to be a new bartender here?"
" I would hope that you drink for taste, because you could surely order drinks with more alcohol if that was your desire," he noted. Not bad, she thought to herself. " I hope not. I'm just back here to help out until someone takes over. In fact, if no one else wants a drink, I think I'll move to the side of the bar where I'm more comfortable."
This time he found a place within the field of view, so she didn't even have to turn to keep the conversation more or less polite.

A few word tosses, disputing drinks as a form of leisure, and aspects of drinking for taste, made the young halfelf more curious. While dropping one phrase, she felt she was unconsciously building them in a form of pre-recruitment - dropping triggers for either a questioning or a dispute. And a trigger did hit its point.

"Other than watching others engage in irrational behavior, what does entertain you then?" green eyes of half-elf looked at Rhaine.
"Out of nonviolent pastimes? Or violent ones included?"
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

He was seemingly trying to keep up with the chilling calm manner she used. Slightly raised eyebrows were the only indication of surprise, before his face assumed a mask of composure again

"Anything... violent or otherwise, I suppose."
" The dueling sport, for example, is a good entertainment. As well as experiments with magically active lifeforms."
Certainly there were other means of entertainment. But these two contained a pre-questioning trigger.
" Dueling is indeed enjoyable. You'll forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by experimeents with magically active lifeforms?"
She smiled slightly at the half-elf. A small lecture was due - a test on attitude to violence.
"Well, there are magically neutral living beings, like deer or dogs for example, and magically active - those who have magical energy as a part of their metabolism, consciously or not."
"And you like to perform experiments on these beings? " he nodded in understanding. " What sorts of experiments?"
"Usually those magically active have different reaction on standard combat spells. I prefer being as precise as possible when elimination of something magically active is needed. So... spell design and alteration to fit potential magically active targets is more accurate," she finished the phrase with a slight nod, expecting the reaction. " Shouldn't turn a battle into mindless slinging of standard combat spells... it would look ugly", she added another benchmark.

" I see," half-elf answered shortly, but his lips curved in disgust. Aha... nonviolent type, slightly hypocritical when speaking of elimination. Trained calmness never left her face, even despite slight disappointment. " And what does entertain you?": she looked at him, her head slightly tilted to the side, silvery eyebrow quirked a bit.

When his mug left his lips, his face was every bit as composed as hers. One point in your favor, boy, she remarked to herself, someone did teach you to keep your face straight. " Lots of things, although except for the dueling, I must say that our interests differ. I have more standard tastes, enjoying the thrills of discovering new places, socializing with friends, and so on." There was some gleam in his eye - something she noticed, and a shadow of a smile traced her lips.
" Have you travelled much to discover these new places and explore them?"
This smile has seemingly tuned him down. Half-elf's free hand absently ran through his sandy-blond hair. For a split second priestess bothered to try to guess
"I have traveled a fair amount. And you?"

In response Rhaine shared an appropriate story of her visit to Kholadan, capitol world of klackons. Another set of probing, set of hidden tests. Why am I doing this, she asked herself. However she didn't stop. She was used to trusting her intuition - for a millionth time in her life. And kept weaving a web of tests and probing the half-elf's mind.
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

The halfbreed's name was Peredhil Ironwolf. Interesting. The name did ring a bell. Quickly a part of her mind contacted the data banks via the neural interface concealed in the delicate silver hairpin. The data on the dynasty, the information on Elessari kingdom - it flowed freely into the trained mind while she tested the young man. At the same time she chose least annoying way to inform him of Temple of Asmodeus. Some curiosity quenched, that was always good for a start. Now she at least knew why she tested him. Now the task was to see, why. She dropped in a few statements testing his ideas of duty and his attitude to it. A few words... and it worked.

" I guess I am also finding it difficult to shake off my sense of duty," Peredhil said.
"That happens - especially if you live with this duty, not just perform a set of tasks," she smiled softly, showing a shadow of understanding. " Does your duty give you this sense of being.. complete? Of your efforts never going in vain?"
"No, on the contrary. It scares me at times to realize that I have the fate of so many lives in my hands. If I do not succeed in protecting them and in ensuring their welfare, then I will feel like my efforts will be in vain, regardless of whatever else I do. I sometimes feel like my obligations bind me, blocking me from what would truly make me complete."
"Too much load on one set of shoulders?" - this was half a question, half a comment, spoken with softness. She added a smile, and kept her attention on the half-elf. This fixated his gaze on her, and she knew it. Besides, the young man was already caught in the verbal and non-verbal web demanding sincerity.

"It wasn't too much on my father's shoulders, although it cost him his life. What about you? Do you ever feel like you've taken on too much, like you're trapped with no way out?"

Show you are human, show your possible softness - and make them open up. Old, old tactic.

" I used to. Before I found how empty and senseless my life could be without the duty"

" Well, obviously one cannot be wholly without duty. But there needs to a balance, or it comes to dominate you. That is my opinion at least," he said. Respect to her own ideals? She returned the smile.
" It can simply take over your life, and fill it with purpose. Any action could be reviewed subconsciously, and success would feel like double pleasure... Feeling of being trapped, it only comes when not fully aware or understanding why you're following the duty. Like a command received you have to follow without knowing why."

Of course the half-elf could not agree with this. She was quite aware of this, and wasn't intending to argue. How long does it take to realize that duty can easily become a part of your ideals - if you choose wisely? That duty isn't always someone's order, it may be in your own ideals, your own honor... She looked again at him. No, he didn't need a lecture or an argument.

"That personal responsibility and duty you've mentioned... it would have scared me senseless, to be honest. That much of a load - it's really too much," Rhaine said. Well-modulated voice, ideal imitation of human compassion. Personal responsibility did scare her - two centuries ago, when she refused to become Thyme's heir in the position of Chosen one. But not now.

"Hope not too many intrigues and plotting for you to deal with?" she smiled slightly sneakily. "Or I could find you a few assistants to deal with this kind of unpleasant stuff"

This was both a test and an evaluation of potential mission. Peredhil was careful, and she appreciated it. He did his best to ask about the possible price of her assistance, and to make sure he would have control over the mission. She listened to him with an inner smile. She convinced him, that she didn't make any conclusions or plans, and would wait for analysis from one of her agents. I shall listen, the priestess thought, listen and evaluate. When half-elf asked for a dozenth time what would the assistance cost, she bothered to reply directly

"Only the information we would receive. Don't consider it cheap... information is priceless."

When a predator feels a weakened antelope - it is information on his future dinner. When a spy tells an army officer, that fortress' wall is weak near third tower - it is information leading to victory. When a person of responsibility (or a young ruler) admits he needs help - it's a security breach that allows a dark priestess to plan on infiltrations that would eventually bring the faith of Asmodeus into an elven country. Question of using the information right.

Question of being an asmodean.

Return to “Dawn of Midnight”