Restoration

Located in the Old Temple District of Rhydin City.

Moderator: Xenograg

QueenTeleperien
Adventurer
Adventurer

Restoration

Post by QueenTeleperien »

Out over the realm of Eldicor, the last of the winter snows had melted. The forests’ trees took a hue of soft yellow-green contrasted against the darker pines. Farmers were out in their fields, horse drawn plows digging deep, overturning the rich dark soil.

The village of Sawary too showed signs of new life. Shop keepers were out, sweeping their part of the wooden sidewalk, shaking rugs, cheerfully calling to each other while they saw to these tasks. Evidence of spring cleaning was spotted; curtains, blankets and sheets flapped in the cool breeze, while children ran in and out of the hung laundry only to be scolded by their mother and chased off to play elsewhere.

As well, the castle was bustling with activity. Windows had been flung open; maids could be seen polishing windows, stable hands scraping up the horse dung that had been covered by the snows. Inside, the formidable Constance directed the cleaning with the air of a general preparing for invasion. These efforts were not just the elimination of stale winter air, but there was to be a feast and a ball!

Especial attention was given to the Great Hall. A small army of maids swept, dusted, mopped and beat rugs. The hall smelled of fresh air, soap and wax. Old dried up plants were removed, the throne polished, a new gold velvet covered seat cushion was set in place. Something else was being added to the dais, a second throne. The queen’s throne was simple, well polished oak, the symbol of Eldicor carved on its back. The tree Telperion topped with a single star. The second throne was identical. Behind the thrones a tapestry that spanned them both held a larger tree and star, this time in gold.

The girls had gone for their riding lessons, and Tele was busy answering of a continual barrage of questions, missives and ‘pardon me Lady’. Philippe had stayed with Tele as much as possible and this day was no exception. Sometime in the early afternoon Alatar, the old wizard appeared in her open door of her study. She finally just left it stand open after both she and Philippe had hopped up several times to answer the knocks.

“Teleperien, would you accompany me to the tower?” He asked. Tele did not need to be told which one. She nodded as she looked at Philippe. The wizard answered before she could ask. “Yes I think he should come. It will help him understand more of your duties and responsibilities.”

Tele brightened and took Philippe’s hand. The three walked side by side down the passage. Maids and guards flattened themselves against the wall to allow passage. They spoke lightly of the weather, the girl’s progress and other non-important chit chat. Tele sensed that there was something serious Alatar wished to discuss, and did not wish to have unintentional eavesdropping.

Once inside the library, Tele fished around in the small velvet bag that hung from the belt that wrapped around her slender waist. Withdrawing the key, she inserted it and turned. A ‘click’ told them the door was unlocked and Philippe opened the door.

As far as Tele could remember, Philippe had never been in this tower. This was a sanctum, a place where few have access. On one wall hung a huge mirror, across from the mirror stood the single window. It was a large window and like the rest of the castle, was many paned, catching the light of the sun and throwing shards of light through the room. On the left is a table, oak with a scrubbed top. On the table sits two items. A large shallow bowl and an orb on a stand. The orb was black except for the red flame from within. A palantir. One of last ones, surviving the reign of King Elessar of Gondor.

Across from the table on the right, stood a series of shelves, drawers and cupboards, its shelves were lined with clear jars filled with a variety of herbs and roots. Books with archaic runes and script on the bindings, lined up neatly along the bottom shelf. Looking up one could see a trap door that would open to the sky. Philippe closely examined the shelves of jars and books. Tele just waited for the wizard to state what he wanted to say.
Last edited by QueenTeleperien on Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Philippe de Bouillon
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Philippe de Bouillon »

Philippe de Bouillon stayed as close to Tele as possible in the time following her recovery. This was partly because he just enjoyed so much being reunited with his wife and seeing her well and her "old self" again. It was also partly his nature and desire to protect her. He had seen what she had gone through and blamed himself for not being around to protect her.

He had always wondered about what was in the tower, and this was as good an opportunity as any to find out.

It was just about as mystical and magical as he had imagined it would be. The 17th century French pirate was still not used to such things in spite of his time in Eldicor. It left him with a chill and the feeling one gets when you're alone in a graveyard at night.

He began to examine all the shelves and the curious jars and books that were stored there. He assumed that each had it's own importance and it's own purpose for being here.

He walked back to Tele's side and took her hand, also waiting to hear what the wizard might say.
Alatar the White
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer
Istari

Advise

Post by Alatar the White »

The wizard Alatar made a show of filling his pipe, tapping down the tobacco then lighting it. He noticed the look of exasperation on Tele’s face. She let Philippe’s hand go, crossed the room to the window. When she opened it, a soft breeze that carried the scent of the newly plowed fields flowed through the room.

“I can see you both are making a good recovery.” Alatar commented looking the couple over as he puffed his pipe. Philippe had put on a little weight and looked a good deal healthier than when he first arrived and Tele had taken on her natural skin tone, she was back to herself, for both good and bad. He took the only chair in the room, Philippe and Tele had hoisted themselves onto the table. “However, I did not ask you here to watch me smoke; firstly I must speak to you about Erwyn.”

He noticed that Tele stiffened a bit. “What of Erwyn?”

“You must have noticed her powers are growing rapidly.” Alatar replied. “I have watched her and I can see she has her father’s abilities.”

Tele nodded in response, her face thoughtful. Alatar went on. “She is like any child of her age, into mischief and causing havoc. However, I believe she must be trained to respect her powers and to use them wisely. She shows great potential. I was very impressed with the maturity she showed during your fall into madness Tele. But she is still very young, at least in the ways of a mage.”

Alatar puffed on his pipe, the breeze from the window caught the smoke and it swirled upward toward the ceiling. “I will help with this if you will allow it, but I do think you should ask Xenograg to teach her the discipline she will need.”

“Why Xenograg?” Tele asked. “I don’t understand.”

“He is a sorcerer is he not? He will be able to teach her to use her powers wisely and instill discipline she will need. You know his experience.” Alatar replied. For a few minutes they stopped talking. Tele broke the silence.

“You said you would help?”

“I will, but Xenograg I trust will have more than adequate knowledge and experience to teach her. I will monitor and advise as needed. If you can stand my company in the castle.”

Tele gave a soft laugh. Since she was installed as queen, they have had a stormy friendship. He aggravated her and she irritated him, it was not uncommon to hear them arguing through closed doors. However when it came to it, they stood together.

“Very well, I will ask Xenograg.” She said softly. Her eyes fixed on Alatar again. “What else?”
QueenTeleperien
Adventurer
Adventurer

Tele accepted Alatar’s suggestion with some reservation. Not that Xenograg could not fill the role, but would he take Erwyn on? She did not know the answer to that. She studied Alatar once more. Surely they did not come to the tower to discuss Erwyn only. The subject could have been approached in the study. Alatar now reached into his sleeve and pulled out a scroll. He handed it to Tele. She accepted it slowly, studying the seal. Astonished she looked up wide eyed.

“Eonwë!”

“Yes, it contains instruction to re-bless the realm. I returned to Valinor soon after you were healed. I sought out Eonwë and he and I spoke. As you know, you are tied to the land.” Tele nodded, Alatar continued, “When the taint invaded your soul, it polluted the blessing of Eonwë. Strife and contention has been the result.”

“Strife and contention will always be with us Alatar, as you know very well. That alone does not prove the taint affected the realm.” Tele pointed out. Alatar nodded in agreement.

“How much to you remember of your madness as it grew?”

For a full moment Tele was silent. She slid off the table and walked to the open window, looking out. Below the tower was the kitchen garden, Tele could see two gardeners digging up the soil, preparing for the planting. She finally answered; her voice was strained, reflecting the stab of pain that had sliced through her.

“All. I remember.. everything. When I was first set to right, I had gaps in my memories, however that has amended as I grow stronger.”

Alatar stood and joined Tele at the window. He put one arm around her in a fatherly hug. She could feel a warm wave of concern and affection flow through her. Tele laid her head on his shoulder.

“The spell will help restore what can be.” His voice was kind. “It will be a long while before you can look on the past months without pain.”

Tele turned away from the window.. tears once more traced her high cheekbones and delicate features. She sniffed and returned to the table, she leaned on it right next to Philippe. His presence helped more than he would know. She felt better just being next to him. Tele opened the scroll, she could sense Philippe was peering over her shoulder to read the parchment as well.

The blessing was simple, but required a good deal of energy. Tele’s power will be challenged. And she had to complete it without assistance.

“Alatar, I do not think I can work this alone.”

“Use Nomrah’s staff.” He suggested. “It will help. And I will be here before and after.”

Tele nodded. “When should I do this?”

“Tonight, after the moon’s rising.” Alatar replied.

“Very well.”
QueenTeleperien
Adventurer
Adventurer

Restoration

The moon was particularly bright that night. Its glow bathed the castle and the village below, casting ghostly shadows. In her apartments Teleperien prepared herself for the spell she was to cast. She wore a simple white gown and had taken off her circlet, showing respect to those who were greater. Philippe watched, his face reflected the concern he felt. Tele noticed this and sensed his apprehension. Sitting next to him she put her hand on his cheek, tracing it down over his jaw.

“All will be well my dear.” She murmured softly. “Have no fear, naught will come of me. If you wish, sit in the garden until I am finished.”

She kissed him, she felt his hand move her long hair and lay gently on her neck. They laid foreheads together, she whispered, “Meldanya, estello mi-Alatar”

(My beloved, trust in Alatar)

For a few more minutes they sat together, drinking in each other. Tele could feel his hand run down her back pulling her closer. A knock on her door interrupted them. Tele pulled away reluctantly and called out. “Come in, the door is unlocked.”

To no great surprise it was the wizard. “It is time.” He said simply.

“I will walk with you to the tower.” Philippe said. Tele was grateful. She slipped her hand in his. He let it go and once in the hallway he wrapped his arm around her slender waist. She did likewise, feeling Philippe’s muscles as they moved with his steps. Alatar only huffed at this sight. Tele ignored him. Once they reached the door to the tower, Tele withdrew her key and unlocked the door. Alatar stepped up then turned to look at them.

“Say your goodbyes, but do not tarry.” Alatar said. Turning he went up the stairs. Tele once more kissed Philippe in such a way that promised more to come. They did not exchange words. Finally Tele broke away. With one final look she took to the stairs.
Philippe de Bouillon
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Philippe de Bouillon »

He hated it. This helpless feeling that was so often part of his life in Eldicor. What could a 17th century French pirate do in a world where magic and forces unbeknownst to him determined the outcome of events that could effect his life forever? What could he do with with hands, a rapier, and two pistols that could help keep Teleperien safe. The stark truth - nothing.

All he could do was give her his support and let her know that he'd be there for her when she finished. He walked with her up to the door of the tower and took her into his arms. He kissed her deeply, slowly, lingering in the moment; then finally released her to do what she must.

His eyes followed Tele as she ascended the steps with Alatar. Once again useless to the woman he loved, he slowly went back down to the garden.

And he waited.
Erwyn
Adventurer
Adventurer
Princess of Eldicor

Post by Erwyn »

Unknown to Erwyn her mother, Teleperien had retreated to the tower. Erwyn bounced down the hall with Amanda and Mystic. They were in a giggly mood and needed a place to inflict their mischief without crossing paths with Constance. Erwyn looked at Amanda and Mystic and suggested: “Let’s go to the garden. Mother gave us permission.”

With enthusiasm the two girls agreed and headed toward the private garden. Erwyn drew the key to the door, and to her surprise it was already unlocked. The girls exchanged looks and Erwyn muttered; “Betcha it was the gardener and forgot to pull the door closed..” They then pushed the door open and peered in.

The garden’s trees were in full bloom. White and pink flowers covered the arms of the trees and a sweet fragrance filled the girl’s senses. They entered and closed the door securely behind them.

“Shhh.. the faeries will hear us.” Erwyn said in a whisper. So they tip-toed along the winding path toward the small pond and waterfall that the faeries loved to play in. They stopped and watched the faeries dance and spiral over the water. Suddenly a voice startled the girls and sent the faeries into hiding.

“What are you doing here?” The heavily accented voice of Philippe came from a bench behind them. He didn’t look peeved but amused at the sign of the girls. Erwyn straightened and dipped a courtesy.

“M’lord. We have been given permission by my mother to play here.”

Philippe assured them they were not bothering him so the girls took this as a sign to ply him with questions. They clustered around him, eyes wide with excitement.

“Are you ‘REALLY’ a pirate?” Erwyn asked eagerly, followed by a question by Amanda.

“What kind of ship do you sail?”

Mystic just looked very excited and jumped up and down in place. Erwyn looked around. “My mother isn’t here?”

“No little one.” Philippe answered with kindness. “She is in her tower.”

Erwyn looked at Philippe with furrowed brow. “Is she with the wizard Alatar?”

“Oui.” He answered. “Restoring the blessing on the land.”

For a moment Erwyn thought. Her mind was quick and grasped what Philippe was saying. She said slowly; “I understand. I felt the lessening of the power of the land as my mother grew mad.”

The young princess looked at Philippe directly in the eyes, she felt a stir in her, a sense of what the pirate was feeling. She debated for a short minute what to do. So she threw caution to the wind and said to him; “M’Lord Philippe, you help my mother more than you know. She was not at all happy without you. She has many tasks that only she as the Queen of the Noldor can do. It does not at all mean you are not needed.” Her young face took a surprising level of maturity. “Do not repent your return. You are welcome.. and needed.”
QueenTeleperien
Adventurer
Adventurer

The Blessing

Once in the tower, Teleperien took off her slippers. In bare feet she re-read the scroll. Alatar watched as she laid the parchment on the table, weighing it down with a couple of jars from the shelves to keep the letter from rolling up.

“Remember this Teleperien, you do not use your powers.. you are a vessel, channeling the blessing.”

“How will I know?” Tele replied anxiously.

“You will know. It cannot be mistaken. Nom’s staff will help, but try not to use it unless you must; it may take away the strength of the blessing. I will be in the library. I cannot stay here, you must do this alone.”

Tele nodded. She really wished Philippe could be there. He lent his strength to her and since the taint had been removed, her confidence was flagging.

Alatar turned and went down the stairs. For a full minute Tele stood unsure of how to start. She then opened the over-head trap door. The light of the moon filled the tower. The stars were so bright they lent their own light to the moon. It was if the Aniur or Holy Ones, awaited her. Tele closed her eyes and meditated, arms lifted. As she did so, she felt within the connection between heaven and earth. She chanted:

A Bereth thar Ennuyaeair
Calad ammeni mardo
Mi’ aladhremmin aldr Eldicor
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
O minė tari airė I
Quentė-nŷe Oma Aniur
Car-vinyamar sinanore
Anta ăistana Eldicor en-yesse

(O Queen beyond the western seas
O light to us who dwell
Amid the trees of Eldicor
O Elbereth, star-kindler
I beg the voices of Aniur
Make new this land,
Bestow again the blessing of Eldicor once again)

Nothing.

No stir of power, just the connection between heaven and earth. Tele chanted the prayer once again. The connection grew stronger but not fully. Again the supplication rose to the heavens again. This time the powers flowed through her, fully and complete. Alatar had been right, she knew it immediately. The song of the Aniur sounded over the land. All from the southern coast to the northern mountains heard the song, and gazed upward with wonder. Tele felt herself leave the floor, floating upward toward the trap door. Up.. up she went until she left the tower. Spinning slowly, Tele felt her hair was caught by a wind only she felt. White light and sparks surrounded the queen, shooting heavenward. The blessing was granted, as fast as the light, strands of white light shot over the land and fell to the earth like snow.

In the garden, Erwyn, Amanda, Mystic and Philippe gazed upward as the music and light exploded over Eldicor.

“She did it!” Erwyn exclaimed as the sparks of light floated down over the garden. “She did it!”

In the tower, Teleperien was lowered to the floor slowly and gently, the light of the blessing still glowed about her. She opened her eyes. The power fed hers, renewing them. Alatar appeared in the door, he looked very pleased. He bowed slightly.

“Well done Lady. Well done.”

Return to “Dojo Darelir”