The Return of the Pirate Husband

Located in the Old Temple District of Rhydin City.

Moderator: Xenograg

QueenTeleperien
Adventurer
Adventurer

Getting to Know You

Post by QueenTeleperien »

At long last the early gray of dawn showed itself. The day promised more snow. Though Eldicor is more temperate than most of RhyDin, the snow had been heavier than usual. The farmers were not complaining, snow is a welcome addition to their fields. However those in the village grumbled because they hated clearing paths.

As the light grew in the room Teleperien felt Philippe stir, stretch, and his arms tightening about her.

“Bonjour.” He said with a smile, his voice still rough, full of sleep.

Tele smiled and returned his hug. “Arin, Melmë. Did you sleep well my dear?”

“Oui. My dreams were full of you.” He pulled her closer and kissed her. She returned it with more love than passion. His hand traveled down her naked body and pauses at her hips. Tele gave a soft noise in her throat, much like the contented purr of a cat. They made love again, this time with tender caresses and slow unlike the heated passion of the night before.

When they finished Teleperien didn’t move, Philippe still atop her, kissing her face.

“Mmmm..” She ran the flat of her hands up and down his back. “Shall I order breakfast?”

“I have had one.” He said softly in her ear. Tele gave a soft chuckle. Philippe rolled over pulling her with him. She could have lain there all day, but she pulled away slowly and slid out of bed. She found her robe and wrapped it about her then pulled the bell rope.

Philippe watched her propped on one hand a contented smile on his handsome face. A soft knock came a few minutes later. Tele went to the door and held the knob a moment; then opened the door. She saw a very happy Rosie bouncing up and down on the balls of her feet. She tried to peer into the bedroom but Tele moved in front of her.

“Would you please bring breakfast and coffee?” Tele asks with a hint of amusement in her voice. To this Rosie gave an enthusiastic nod.

“With pleasure m’lady!” Then hurried off in the direction of the kitchen. Tele laughed as she closed the door and turned back into the room. Philippe pushed the blankets away and sat up; his black hair tousled looking about for something to wear. Going to his wardrobe she opened the door and pulled out his dressing gown then handed it to him. He slung it on, tying the sash.

Another knock came and Tele called, “Enter!”

Rosie and another chambermaid named Lucinda or Luci stood at the door Rosie held a tray covered with a white linen towel; while Luci carried an arm-load of wood for the fire. Rosie stole a look at Philippe, her round cheeks growing pink when he gave her a smile. Rosie poured the coffee into the cups as the fire was stoked. Luci gathered up the tray from the night before.

“Thank you.” Tele said softly. The two maids bobbed curtseys and left, Rosie giving Tele a very happy smile before she closed the door.

The pair sat to enjoy their breakfast of boiled eggs, ham, toasted bread and fresh oranges. They spoke little as they ate both unsure of what to say. As the early day promised, snow fell in silent flakes outside the window.

When they finished Philippe carried the tray to the door, leaving the coffee and set the tray outside with a polite greeting to the guard. He closed the door. Tele watched him when he retook his seat. She held her coffee cup with both hands, her long fingers slightly crossed. Her face was soft. Inside however she felt the war between her taint and the love that threatened to destroy the taint’s presence.

“Please, tell me what happened.” She asks gently.
Philippe de Bouillon
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Philippe de Bouillon »

Please, tell me what happened.

He didn’t know where to begin, but he knew he had to be honest with his wife – he knew no other way to be.

“My love, as you know, a little over three years ago I sailed the Lady Venture off, partly because I needed some adventure in my life, but also to do some trade and bring supplies back to Eldicor. We were facing a time of famine because of the storms that year, and I did not want for you to worry about feeding your people.

“The Lady Venture, she is a big ship, and the winter season was fast approaching and we only had half our hold filled. I did not want to disappoint you, but I’m afraid that the choice I made is going to be the greater disappointment.”

He took a deep breath. “To fill our hold and get home to you before the winter’s cold shut us off from returning until spring, we took to pirating.” He knew she did not approve of his former ways.

“We filled the hold and needed just one more piracy to return to Eldicor with enough food and wealth to distribute to the people. A trap was set for us. The Lady Venture was too large and too heavy with a near full hold to maneuver in the narrow channel off the coast of Jerba. We soon found ourselves surrounded by a dozen ships manned by olive-skinned men with slicked-back, black hair, large cannons, and curved scimitars in their hands. Surrounded and outgunned, there was nothing we could do but surrender and try to negotiate our freedom.

“The great leader of Jerba, Kheir-ed-din, had the Lady Venture towed into his harbor, and when he saw the hold filled with goods from his lands, any chance of negotiation had ended. Nearly all the crew, both Elf and Frenchman, were beheaded on the dock as I had to watch along with my officers.

“We were thrown into Kheir-ed-din’s dungeon, and for the first six months we were subjected to torture. Every day for six months I paid for my sins with pain that always left me near death. Then for two and a half years I was in isolation. All the others had died. Only my need to return to you, my wife, kept me living.

“It was the plague that actually set me free. I was carried out of the dungeon and would have been burned with the dead and dying bodies, but I escaped. It was love that brought me back to you and that presents me before you this day.”

He awaited her response, knocking that her feelings must be as mixed as his own.
QueenTeleperien
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by QueenTeleperien »

Listening to Philippe recall the horrors of the last three years filled Teleperien with grief.. The deaths of the crew members, the officers slammed into her heart with an intensity she didn’t expect. In the middle of his tale, she suddenly stood and walked to the window. She didn’t know if she could bear it.

Elves are incredibly sensitive creatures even when they appear aloof and arrogant. Emotions are felt deeply both good and bad. When Philippe finished Tele gripped the window sill so tightly her knuckles turned white.

Silence. It was a long while before Tele could speak.

“I should have never sent you.” Her words were chocked with emotion. Finally she turned and looked at Philippe; his own eyes red with the tears for his crew and friends. Tele received a flash of his emotions. A heavy burden of guilt carried with his grief threatened to engulf him.

She walked to him and her hand touched his cheek. He leaned against it. Slowly she withdrew it and pulled her chair to where she could sit knees to knees with him. She held out both hands and he took them. With what eldritch powers she still had she willed it through her fingers to his. She took a deep breath.

“Philippe, I asked you not to pirate, to steal for my lands. Such treasure is wrought with peril as you experienced. Had you been successful and returned with a ship full of the finest jewels, piles of gold and silk beyond measure, the treasure you bore would have cursed Eldicor. It would have drawn those in the south to come northward and they would have a claim on not only Eldicor but me. The ruler. For I am Eldicor’s queen and they would seek retribution upon the ruler that sent the Lady Venture to their waters.”

As she spoke, the images flowed through Philippe’s mind; the flotilla of ships entering the harbor, the battle that would have ensued and finally the capture of Tele herself.

She sighed and dropped her gaze to their grasped hands.

“I have fought in many battles and the deaths of my people grieved me, but not as this.”

Philippe gripped her hands a little tighter. He didn’t speak; Tele returned her gaze toward her husband. His face showed fear. Instinctively she realized he was silently begging for forgiveness. She could not remove from him the burden of blame, but she knew that an acceptance would at least remove the uncertainty. She loosed one hand and with it she gently ran it up and down his forearm. The idea that she was the one that kept him alive.. filled her with wonder. No one had ever said such a thing to her and meant it.

“I cannot take from you the horror; you have paid many times over. I love you and I will never turn you out.”
Gwindor
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Reactions

Post by Gwindor »

“I heard the tidings.” Gwindor says as he stands in the door of Borin’s room. The tall elf had a look of skepticism in his face. “Is it so? The husband of the queen has returned?”

The sturdy dwarf looked up from his desk, setting down the quill he was using and nodded. “I sa’ th’ man m’self.”

For a moment Gwindor was silent digesting this. “Has the Lady seen him?”

“Aye, I took Philippe to th’ garden o’ the queen. I to’d her tha’ a cat got inta the garden.”

“She went to the garden.”

“Aye.”

Gwindor walked away.

Borin looked after him, his face very concerned.

Return to “Dojo Darelir”