Amaltea of Barsi

Located in the Old Temple District of Rhydin City.

Moderator: Xenograg

Xenograg
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Bey

Amaltea of Barsi

Post by Xenograg »

[Nestrian Palace, Barsi.]

"Amanda?" Xenograg calls into the next room.

"Yes, father?" comes an answer.

"Come here. I have something for you." The twelve-year-old girl is already walking through the door as he speaks. There can be no doubt the girl is Xenograg's daughter. Her skin color is only a shade lighter than his, while her hair is the same brown-black (minus his grey), and her eyes the same brown with gold edging.

"You don't sound like I'm getting a gift."

"It is jewelry, though," is his retort with a smile. Amanda cocks a curious eyebrow and comes to stand before her father. Xenograg takes a short gold chain suspending a small triangular pendant.

"Oh, It looks just like mother's pendant!" She turns around so Xenograg can clip it around her neck.

"That is correct, and for the same reason. With this talisman, you can contact us in an emergency, and we can find you."

"So don't take it off?"

"Never take it off, and do not show it to anyone." Amanda is about to reply when Amaltea enters the room.

"We are ready, Sweetie," she tells her husband. Xenograg looks at Amanda.

"Are you?" he asks while looking into her eyes.

"Yes, I think so," Amanda answers with some nervousness.

"Good," he says and gives his only daughter a hug. Amaltea smiles and walks over. Xenograg reaches out for his wife, and embraces the two women most precious to him. This day is Amanda's beginning -- her first life-changing event. Nothing will ever be quite the same again.
Last edited by Xenograg on Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The stupidest creative act is still a creative act, and that the real gap isn't between the mediocre and great work. The real gap is between getting started and doing nothing. If you've created something, even if it's stupid, you've put yourself in a position to do more." - Clay Shirky
Xenograg
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Bey

Post by Xenograg »

Amaltea steps through the magic mirror and disappears. Amanda's eyes widen. Although she knows that magic exists -- and has already seen some in Shanlar -- Amanda is startled by what she just saw. Her mind is filled with a combination of fear, wonder, and curiousity.

"Breathe, Amanda. Everything is fine," Xenograg assures her.

"Okay," Amanda takes several deep breaths. "That is weird, though."

"I suppose I am used to it. You will be, too, in time. There is no rush here."

"I know. I can do this," replies Amanda, talking to herself as much as Xenograg. She takes another deep breath and reaches forward. Her hands pass through the glass surface and is no longer seen in the reflection. She closes her eyes and steps forward purposefully. The only strange sensation comes when her head passes through the portal; it is just a tingle.

Amanda stumbles a little, but Amaltea takes hold of her hands. Amanda opens her eyes and smiles at her mother.

"Fun, wasn't it?" Amaltea asks, also smiling.

"Yes!"

"Let's move out of the way for your father." They do so just as Xenograg steps through the mirror carrying a small trunk. He sets it down on the floor of the small circular room they are now in.

"The portal closed automatically?" ask Amanda.

"Yes," Xenograg answers. "because I specified three transits only. Go ahead and check." Amanda walks over and feels the expected smooth glass surface.

"Wow."

"Always make sure it is closed before walking away, Amanda. Just remember your brothers' safety," reminds Amaltea. A small chill of fear sobers Amanda's enthusiasm. She looks at her parents and slowly nods with genuine maturity. Xenograg nods back, satisfied with that response.

"Then welcome to Dojo Darelir and Rhydin City," he announces.
Last edited by Xenograg on Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The stupidest creative act is still a creative act, and that the real gap isn't between the mediocre and great work. The real gap is between getting started and doing nothing. If you've created something, even if it's stupid, you've put yourself in a position to do more." - Clay Shirky
Xenograg
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Bey

Post by Xenograg »

Amaltea gives her daughter a short, daytime tour of Rhydin City. As with any city, there are safer quarters than others. She learns that Dojo Darelir is in one of the less safe areas. Due to lack of time, Amanda only gets a short glimpse of the ever-busy Red Dragon Inn and the empty Duel of Swords Arena.

Meanwhile, Xenograg has flown north to the steppe. He finds the Rellugai just as they are encamping for the night. His retainers here set up the tents. When everything is ready, Xenograg sends a mental signal to Amaltea. The two women arrive minutes later. Amaltea pockets the magical purple gem she just used to span the distance from the City to the camp.

Xenograg summons all his retainers before him just as he did in Dojo Darelir that morning.

"This is my daughter, Amanda thu-Darelir," he announces. "Her safety is now your foremost duty; all others are secondary. She is also to be obeyed unless her safety is threatened or you have orders to the contrary from myself, my wife, or your captains. I will have new oaths on this." Each retainer, in turn, nicks a finger on the knife held by Xenograg and presses the cut into the palm of Amanda's hand. That is the oath.

Xenograg has moved his base of operations from Rhydin City to here. The three Darelir will sleep in the tents for many nights to come.

( Cross-posted to War in the North. )

Return to “Dojo Darelir”