Silence

Located in the Old Temple District of Rhydin City.

Moderator: Xenograg

Mystic
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Mystic »

I had a really close call today. I had passed by two little hamlets safely but this third town was bigger. Shamira wanted to go through, I didn't. I decided to go around, but soon found out that Shamira was right. Three members of the Zaarian council saw me.

There was an abandoned shed that I ran towards. They came searching for me but didn't bother to check under the trap door. It was really scary, because I heard they needed me. One of the really tall guys said that Uncle should be dead any day now. The cellar underneath the shed was my home for the next couple of days. Shamira found me and made sure I had plenty of food.

Shamira made sure it was safe to leave and then we continued to go through the village. There were lots of kids my age so I didn't look out of place. Tonight we are sleeping in a clearing of the Alfinay Forest. Tomorrow we should reach the last village before the capital.
~Mystic Suleir~
Ward of Xenograg
Mystic
Adventurer
Adventurer

Beginning of the End

Post by Mystic »

Be careful. How many times have I heard those words? Be safe. I’ve heard those ones as well. Watch out! Those sound familiar too. I did those three things, I kept an eye out, I was safe and I was very, very careful. Shamira took me as far as the capital but no further. I had been safe with her and I loved having a friend. But she had to leave, and I had to go on. Uncle was somewhere in the capital, but it was finding him. Disguising myself wasn’t easy, if mother was looking for me she would only have to use a blood trace. To hide myself I decided to change the way I looked, it would stop other people from seeing me. It wouldn’t work all the time, but it would help. There was an old headpiece in a nearby garbage can. It covered my head and the veil went in front of my face. The dress I wore was so brown that no one could recognize it. For days I searched the capital like this, finding shelter in the oddest places. There was an old restaurant that I knew fed the homeless, it also had a shed in the back, which would protect me from the rain. I didn’t think I’d ever have to hide in my own city.

The animals were my friends but I didn’t think about the sicknesses they carried. Soon I was not only trying to find Uncle but keep myself alive. I couldn’t trust anyone and if I returned to the castle then they would find me there. It was getting near the cold season and I couldn’t feel my toes or my fingers. But I felt so hot at the same time. Sometimes I would put my hands to my forehead. The cold of my fingers would cool off my forehead and the heat would warm up my hands. Most people would have used their magic to help them, but if I used my magic then the council would trace me.

Yet despite abstaining from magic my mother found me. I was huddled up with some of the dogs. She picked me up and took me to her house. My mother fed me food and kept me warm and gave me medicine. I had failed though, Uncle would die and the council had found me. Mother thinks I cry because I’m sick, I cry because I was foolish.
~Mystic Suleir~
Ward of Xenograg
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

I have been banging my head on the entrance to Eszt-Zaar for n-th time, trying any transportation spell available to me - shadow-warp, rifting, Pathways... No use. Every time I tried, I sensed a warding type looking for some specific markers in my corporeal form, and was tossed off. Frustration was showing. In fury, I summoned a rift and left for the Iron Citadel.

I will not retell my entire visit. Daigotsu seemed to be glad to see me again, and we discussed the powers blood magic could offer me. His offer becomes more and more tempting. Also... he offered me his help and even teaching me much more of Blood Magic than I can learn from libraries or tomes. But the price would be - belonging to him. I shuddered deep within. Abandoning everything... my faith, my friends... Mystic... when my brother is in RhyDin... No.

I rushed to Arenas. I needed to vent.
Mystic
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Mystic »

Mother soon went back to her duties and Milia took care of me. I was sitting in bed while she tucked me in. I had pulled out a sheet of paper and slowly wrote out a single word.

Xenograg

Milia looked at me. "What is this child?"

With orange flames I spelt the word friend. She asked me further questions but I couldn't answer. It was difficult concentrating, and I didn't want Milia to know too much. The next day mother took me to the city. We went underground, beneath the grand tower. All the passages we took lost me; soon we went through a door into a small room. It was heavily warded, and I felt the wall seal completely.

"You would like to see your Uncle, wouldn't you Mystiral?"

I nodded eagerly.

"You will see him, if you do the will of the council. You must train yourself to create a rift towards the Kalian Sector. The Kalinians need to get home Mystic. Do you want to help them get home?"

I looked down a moment thinking then nodded slowly. The training would begin tomorrow; I was supposed to focus all of my energy towards one rift. One portal, for an entire race. It was a complicated spell and I knew that the energy drain would be powerful. But I could feel Uncle fading, and I knew he would die otherwise.
~Mystic Suleir~
Ward of Xenograg
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Eszt-Zaar: the mission

Post by Rhaine »

Binding... That was something I never hoped for when I started the path of learning life magic. That was something I never desired but I accepted it. Without any hesitation. I arrived with Xenograg and Sylus in a hall somewhere in Eszt-Zaar, and sensed that here I would either have to be what I am... use the skill and gift of a bound lifemage, or allow these two to risk their lives. Intuition of an asmodean priest is to be trusted, you know.

As soon as two local council members appeared on the balcony, I switched to my mist form. Xenograg and Sy can defend themselves with swords, but two local mages are a danger. I had to get one of them gone. His attention was turned to the men... while I crept behind him and drained his live. Activation energy of a drain of a zaarian is high enough - but the reward is good.... the taste was delicious, and instantly-aged body dropped on the floor.

The room went dark, and more zaarian guards appeared. However darkness was never a problem for me since my transformation. I have been blind for century or more... spectral eyesight is the best substitute one can imagine. Morphing my right hand into metallic combat form, I have given several of these wretched creatures a good spanking, and one of them was drained by Glaeddyv Sierthii. Sylus was probably guided by his wolven nose, and Xenograg... well, I will not say anything about what my eyes could see. He seemed to call upon some elemental powers to get us out of the menacing place - I sensed it the way I sense any magic...

We ran out, followed by a huge explosion - a mix of death and chaos magics. I called to my Lord, and antimagic shell was wrapped around us. Was it just my perception, or He started answering my calls more willingly since we have started work on the Temple? The tide of destruction rolled over us, leaving the whole area charred. The antimagic shell rippled with tension, but power of the Grim Lord is more than any of these locals can imagine. I could only sigh in relief.
We were at a mountain top. I sat down for a moment, needing to re-attune myself. That is a must if I want to use my magic in this world... it is magically-active, and my binding makes my own magic dependant on the place I am in. Xenograg looked at me with slight concern, probably thinking that sustaining the antimagic shell drained me. I forced out a smile, and assured my companions that I'm perfectly fine.

A grand tower was seen at a distance. I watched it with slight curiosity as red bubble of magical field started spreading from the top of it. Forcefield? Something needed to be done.

Xenograg suggested flying to the place, to the city around the Tower. Quite right, I must say. I morphed into a bat - the way any vampire would. Xenograg used some sort of element-bound levitation and grabbed Sylus (despite his vague resistance that resulted in loss of time). We rushed down.

(to be continued...)
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Eszt-Zaar: the mission (part 2)

Post by Rhaine »

The city greeted us with firebolts and general fear. Perhaps flying was not the best idea after all... Sylus seems to have serious problems with levitation, at least his stomach does. Antimagic shell never faded, so we were rather shielded, also by a spherical shield the Sorcerer created.

As we landed, I noticed several robed figures rushing to the tower. Too late to intercept them, but still I tried, running at the speed of enhanced biomage with SoulDrinker re-emerging in my hand. Too late... The red forcefield covered them, and it was the type that prevented me from coming to Eszt-Zaar. I almost banged my head into the field, and cussed quietly. Xenograg ran after me, probably trying to get me away from the angered locals. Guards were not a problem for General (yes, I know he was an Overlord several times... but one thing is a fair duel, another - a real fight! and I respect him much more for the real fights).

A whistling was be heard from within a modest house, a maid was cleaning within the main room. General noticed it, and Sylus also paid attention. He seemed to sense something. I sheathed the black blade. "If we try to rip through this menace...That would get us spanked".
Sylus started moving away from the tower "This way....she is close...or soemthign that feels like her." General followed him, and I had no other choice but to follow. Banging my head on the forcefield, trying to hack the ward... that would have been foolish. Moving at a steady lope, the werewolf led us away for several blocks to a small house. The maid turned around and peered outside the window looking at the three strangers. Gods, I can imagine how odd we looked... "You folks don't look like you belong here. It's a security alert y'hear, ye ought to be inside the city." Her voice was nicely soft. She looked at the General closer... "Gracious me, Lord Erud, is that you?"
Probably everyone would mistake Xenograg for Quaide. If so, our road will be smooth sailing. General jogged up to the small house and the woman."Where is my niece?" He was probably thinking the same. Sylus and I agreed that we should let him do the talking. If anyone sees my fangs, that would complicate the things a lot.
The maid peered suspiciously "Your eyes are different Lord. You three wouldn't happen to be the reason for this alert?"
Sy asked if we could go inside until the alert ends. The maid frowned.
"No one is allowed within the missus house without permission."
"Do you know where Mystic is?" General asked.
"Mystiral? What do you want with her?" the woman's eyebrows arched. General glanced at the ground intently.
"To save her life."
That was the only answer to this question, in any case. The maid hesitated "What's your name?" she asked. "Your name, sire, and where you are from." Sylus tensed, he was ready to attack, and reddish strands of aggression swirled around him. I kept calm. We always have time.
"My name is Xenograg. Quaide entrusted me with Mystic's safety. I am here to keep that promise."
These words changed a lot. The woman opened the door and ushered us in, picking up a candle. She marched over to locked door and fumbled with a key. "Mystiral warned me of you, with quite the effort I must say. She said you were a friend." General's sword pointed towards the ground but ready, he followed the maid.
"Mystic made many friends while she was gone."
We followed them. I never ceased scanning and memorizing, knowing that we might have to rush out in quite a hurry. The maid opened the door and led us down a dangerous looking wooden staircase towards the cellar. "Yes yes. I don't know where she is, probably underneath the council chambers. Very secure place. Her mother will be there."
"She is...like my daughter." General spoke, looking the woman in the eye.
The maid turned to him and made an odd sign over her heart "Bless you."

Her mother would be there. The worst thing that could happen. A dozen battlemages can be killed, but how can we destroy someone Mystic holds dear?!

( to be continued )
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Eszt-Zaar: the mission (part 3)

Post by Rhaine »

The maid fumbled with another key and slid it into a stone door "Yes, her mother. She gave up custody to Lord Erud. A long tale we don't have time for. Take your second left, that'll lead you to the council chambers." The maid pulled out a silver vile and handed it to General "It'll immobolize everyone within a five-foot radius from the point where it is opened. Good luck, and be swift! The defensive shield may all ready be covering the passage."
The maid locked the door behind ua and hurried back up the stairs, leaving us in a dark, cold, stone passageway. General offered the vial to me. Good decision... he and Sylus rely on swords more. I agree to take the item, but reminded these two that we have to MOVE and move quickly.

As we progressed a faint red glow appeared down the hallway. The forcefield was getting to us, and we needed to rush. I do not know and do not care which gods beside the Grim Lord were looking upon us, but we all ran faster. A man pacing back and forth impatiently awaiting for the red orb to cover the bottom half of the passage, seemed to be an obstacle - but to be honest, not to three of us. Sylus drew his weapons, running with sharp objects now, matched pace with General and me. "I don't trust anyone I don't know...." the wolfkin spoke. Well, he may have no trust for anyone, I have trust into my re-attuned magic. A rather simple spell swirled on my hands waiting to be triggered. General extended his hand towards the guard ahead, and an energy arc shot at him. The guard dodged the spell, and threw a star-shaped missile. I jumped, rolling over my head, dodging the odd weapon, and sliding behind the man, touching him with the globes of the spell. Paralysis took over, and I drained the energy I spent on casting and activation. My hand was at his throat. One more spell - and he will be no more.
"Let him live, General?" I said. The guard gasped. "Just....doing...my...job"
Job, by the Midnight! I am also doing my duty! Was it not for Xenograg and Sylus, I would have dissolved into pallid mist Alais has seen, and showed these zaari-dhoine how dangerous a bound biomage can be. This could drain me, or force my dissolution, but... Mystic was way too important.
Down the passageway were coming two dhoine. We could hear the voices. General agreed with Sylus, the guard had to live. I sighed and left him alone. General went down the tunnel...
"How soon till he dies?" one man asked
"Any day now. He doesn't even know we have the child," was the answer. WHAT?!
"How is she progressing?"
"I believe we are moving to quickly. She is weak," this second one did seem to know a bit more... As well as have some compassion for the child.
"Do not let the council hear you say that. You will be charged for treason."
"She will die with the att..." he paused hearing the footfalls of my companions. Vampires move silently, as well as g'iarre.
General drews a heavy dagger. Faint glow appeared around my hands... these would be more resistant, so activation energy would be... I closed my eyes for a split second to calculate necessary amount of power and modify the spell. This second one knows more - I will get him.
General lunged into a forward roll, trying to get past the guards and strike from behind. Sylus rushes from the front, to keep the pair engaged for Xenograg to strike. The General crashed into the first man, both fell in a heap and curses. The guards were momentarily distracted, the first fell down with Xeno, the second drews a sword and lunged in towards Sylus. Fools... Wovan adamantite of my silk-like armor made me hard to be seen in the dark, I lunged and the spell flared. The man was slammed into the wall by my jump, he froze and slowly slid down, his energy drained. The first guard was fighting General, and got the dagger under his ribs. Sylus wanted to finish off my victim, but we needed that zaari-dhoine alive.
"General, your prey", I spoke the way a maid may say "Your dinner is served".
"Where is the child?" Xenograg's voice could have scared someone who knew him well enough. Or someone who at least has seen him on a rescue mission.
""I...do not...know." The man gasped. "Quaide is up the stairs, and to your left if you'd like. The child...is hidden from all."
"Any trace, Scout?" General asked Sylus, probably not wanting to use real names. The werewolf sniffed the air.
"He's speaking the truth..."
"Pity," General turned and headed up the stairs, weapons ready. I left my victim and followed him. Any of us, asmodeans, would have preferred to torture this one and get the information out of him. Well.... it's General who leads us, so I would follow him.
"WAIT! ...she might....be....underground, down the stairs instead of up," the man spoke, probably trying to get Sylus hungry amber eyes away from his throat. He was speaking the truth... "Downstairs there is a magical ward but that is where she is"
"If you are right, you have bought your life." These were Xenograg's words, however Sylus knocked the man unconscious. Ah well. I am not going to interfere and save his life. Sounds of men coming... I moved closer to the wall, ready to become a mist. Down the stairs there was a wall, and the ward that I thought these locals were uncapable of. Only someone with a key could open it. I could spend a week trying to hack this protection. Turning to look upstaired, I grinned. "Lunch is ready, I think".
A woman appeared running down the stairs. "Halt!" she screamed. Something in her magical spectrum looked like Mystic... I sensed a dagger flying at her - she dropped some kind of round artifact. Meanwhile Sylus got some odd object, and touched the ward with it. Crap! Chaos, fire, and total disturbance. Why hack the ward... burn it down. How unelegant. But how damn efficient. Sylus' hand was blackened, and within these walls I could do almost nothing to heal him. Healing spells require much more precision than destruction, I could not allow my magic to harm the shifter.
The guards drew closer. Someone threw a dagger, and as Xenograg placed the round artifact into the wall, his arm was pierced. I looked at the General... the blade was magically and chemically active. Crap. We need to get OUT of here for me to do anything.
The stone exploded and the wall disappeared. The woman turned around to face the intruders. Sylus drew his weapon with his good hand, his injured arm was lifeless. Poor boy... I looked around. On the ground, kneeling in a deep trance, eyes rolled into the back of her head, was Mystic. The intense magical fields around her were another example of local art... could I try to get her out without the spell killing her?
The woman rushes over to us "Hush! Any sudden interruption may break the bonds she is in and kill her!" Sylus looked at her. "We should trust you? why?" he asked. Well, I did notice the resemblance, but it mattered not to me.
"She is my daughter! Would I lie about her? She is more valuable to me then you can imagine," the woman cried. More valuable... Can she possibly know how important
Mystic is to me? Or to Xenograg? Or to the entire universe? Does she not realize - Mystic is unique?
"The mother," General's voice was calm and slightly tired. Cold fury blazed in me.
"You allowed your daughter to get bound like that?" I was ready to rip her apart.
"Quaide took her from you. His judgment rules." General was his usual way - rational. Heavy footfalls on the stairs.... Someone was draggin Quaide.
Mystic rocked back and forth the glow of magical fields growing stronger, flickering occasionally. The guards brought Quaide into the room. The man was barely standing, his face white. At least an ally. Mystic's mother asked the guards why they have brought Quaide... The answer was just as most of us expected.
A council member dressed in elaborate royal robes descended speaking "You make one more step towards that child and I will kill Quaide."
"That is supposed to deter me?" General asked. He was standing on the threshold of the chamber, the trace of the wound spreading. The understanding dawned on me. I grinned.
"Sure... no one is walking towards her". Instantly I reached into the vortex that runs through me, forming an orb of energy and hurling it at Quaide. The magic fused into him.
"Huntress, remember my gift to you," Xenograg mentioned the vial, but I could not risk the magic of vial interfering with the bonds that held Mystic. Quaide looks at me pleadingly. Yes.... I will continue! A tentacle of transparent mist curled around his ankles... He was standing up straighter, still disoriented, needing some more of energy.
The guard took out a dagger and pressed it to Quaides back. Fool. The tentacles of mist fed more energy to Quaide. Council member stepped forth.
"Leave this place. It is not your world." He was referring to Xenograg. Well, this place is not my world either. But I would bite into anyone's throat for Mystic.
In one instant Quaide spun around disarming all the guards and the council member in one fell swoop and proceeded to Mystic. "Keep them busy. Leave once she is awake," he spoke hurriedly. General dropped into a crouch at Quaide's burst of movement. The council members immediately recovered and lunged forward towards Quaide. No, guys, that is not something we will let you do.... General jumped up, Nartelemna poised to guard Quaide's back. He took his stress and fear and projected it outward as a psychic wave. Quaide started muttering words under his breath and shifting the spell over towards him. The SoulDrinker, my Glaeddyv Sierthii, lunged into my hand. We circled the council member, teasing him, tip of black blade touching his robes carefully.
"Over here, dhoine," I whistled. I noticed the beautiful parries, feints, flurry of blows... General is awesome with the sword. Sylus used his charred hand to lash out and break some guard's windpipe. The antimagic shell around me trembled as the council member tried a massive energy attack.
Never do that on an asmodean priestess protected by her Lord. The energy was reflected back at the zaarian, bashing him back. He fell, but jumped up and rushed to Mystic. WHAT! I lunged and SoulDrinker pierced his spine. He collapsed in agony, his soul drained by the blade. We fed...
Quaide was fading. The spell took him. But Mystic was back awake, she tried to shake her uncle. Xenograg's last opponent cut his thigh, as the General flared a spell reminding of Immolation used at the Twilight Isle. Sylus scooped up Mystic. Pain crossed his features... I would need to get to them all when we are out of this damned place. The girl's mother disappeared. I cusses. What kind of mother is that - sending her child to a true death?! Summoning a semi-random rift I screamed "GET IN THE HELLS OUT!"
We rushed in.
Mystic
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Mystic »

One day, with two dozen small stones Mystic was playing with her magic. After some trial and error the stones became wonderful little gifts for after her duels. The stones started small and black. It will change colours and shades every hour once given away and become warmer as the temperature gets colder, and vica versa.
~Mystic Suleir~
Ward of Xenograg
Mystic
Adventurer
Adventurer

Nightmares

Post by Mystic »

Glass air was making it hard for me to breath. I was suffocating! I didn't have my magical essence; I felt ... I felt purely human. The air was still and almost impossible to breathe. Translucent figures prevented me from looking around. There humans and non-humans... I could see a white humanoid feline among them, several people, and a demon. I was in a hall without limits, an unseen ceiling supported by tall black and white marble columns. There were no walls. The place was cold and felt dead. The figures were talking to someone. Calling this someone - Renegade.

I tried to find this Renegade. I was curious, but very afraid. I was unable to put up a magic boundary for protection. I tried to reach out with my mind, using skills I recently learned. It wasn't working. I cautiously moved a step forward...the weight of my body made it difficult to progress. I barley shifted.

A shadow passed by - shadow of a being that looks like an elf, but judging by the skin color, almost crimson, and leathery wings, it has some demonic blood. The shadow looked at me, but seemed not to notice. The Shadow entered the crowd of ghosts. I heard a voice, surprisingly alive, from the madness. "Thyme? You?"

The voice was different from voices of ghosts. It was Rhaine's! I couldn't enter the ghost-infested part of area to find her. I tried to reach out again but I couldn't. The magic and mental connection seemed to be dead. I was useless, I wanted to break down and cry.

Another ghost looked at me. It was a ghost of a man, so handsome that he was terrifying. His hair was golden, and violet eyes looked at me with cold curiosity. His face and figure were perfect, like a carved statue. My breath came in sharply, but it was empty. I was in awe, and feared him for some reason. He looked so powerful.

"You. How did you get here, dhoine?" The man's voice was chilling. His aura looked quite similar to Rhaine's, with same beautiful pale cyan. But he had no dark crimson and black streaks. Had he been more humane, he would have been an angel. Still unable to speak she tried to reach out with her hand and mind, tried to communicate that she didn't know what she was doing in this nightmare.

The man frowned. "Not daring to speak to me, dhoine child? Get out of this place. It's not for your kind."

I opened my mouth trying to get out words. Couldn't he see I wasn't a human? Or was I in this place? It sure felt like it. What a nightmare!

The man looked at me more attentively, and slight disgust curves his lips. “Undifferentiated. Ridiculous. How could you possibly get here... Oh, I see. The Renegade has touched you.” The ideal face became an ugly grimace of triumph. “At least you'll see this and learn what it means to act against us.”

I furrowed my brow in confusion, what did this Renegade do? Was Rhaine the Renegade? Suddenly the man lifted me! I shuddered, and tried to struggle but I was helpless. We moved through the glassy air. Then I saw Rhaine surrounded by the ghosts. Her face was almost indifferent, as if she was meditating. Then I saw it. The wound. Her left shoulder was burnt to the bone by some spell or weapon. I cried out silently, I wanted and had to help her!

Suddenly Rhaine looks up to notice them. She screamed at the man. "Maedd, you giftless mediocrity! Leave her alone she's done nothing against you. Or you're just enjoying this?" Her voice is full of fury.

Tears started to well up in my eyes. What was Rhaine doing amongst all these dark creatures? What were they doing to her? I tried to drop out of the man’s arms, struggling to reach my friend. Where was my magical essence? I was magical essence! Why wasn't anything working then?

We landed near Rhaine, and she tried to reach to slap the man named Maedd. At least it looks like she'd do it... if she could move. The ghosts crowded around, speaking of failures, treason, obviously accusing my friend Rhaine. In this crowd and noise, the dark priestess looked at me, her face sane and calm "Get out of here before they catch you. Leave, Mystic. It's a dream, but it can drag you in. Imagine that you're falling down through this floor, through Maedd... Flee. Don't let him have the joy of torturing you. This is at least something you have the power to do... while you are still free... "

I could never abandon Rhaine and forgive myself. I wouldn’t let them have her! I shook my head furiously. I would not abandon my friend. Rhaine's eyes were dark and glittering with unwanted tears. "Go." Maedd laughed, but all of a sudden the shadowless light was disrupted by a flash of darkness. Just as Maedd had the power to carry me around, Rhaine seemed to find the power to make the Halls unreal to me. The place turned transparent and misty, and I began to fall through the mist. I could see a large gothic-style temple as if I looked at it through the clouds. The temple was built of obsidian, gabbro, black marble and granite... with silver and ruby forming strange sigils on the walls. Another image... it was Artemus! He was sitting on the floor near a strange spell-like structure that held Rhaine in.

Suddenly I woke up with cold sweats. I fell off my bed banging my head on the nightstand. Worried and terrified for my friend I stumbled around to find Xenograg.
~Mystic Suleir~
Ward of Xenograg

Return to “Dojo Darelir”