Mentar Station

Transplanted Rigelian and her adventures in the Nexus world of RhyDin and
beyond.

Moderator: Azjah von Drachen Walde

Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Azjah von Drachen Walde »

Elynne shrugged, “Easily. Talk to Keith, he might interest Volin-Vorlill in it. They are spacecraft fanatics, fascinated with, how does the boy formulate it…. ‘flying with ease on anything that can fly, and only with some difficulty on something that cannot.”

Azjah laughed, “I have met Keith, and it does not surprise me that he flies almost anything. Rhaine has warned me that you have similar restrictions about exporting technology far beyond what a visitor has when they arrive. I have the same restrictions on the weapons that we manufacture, so I will understand if it cannot be done.”

Elynne shook her head, “No, Keith has flying as a hobby only, I’m talking about his buddy, Rei Volin-Vorlill. That’s a real Vorlill.” She nodded, “It’s a very correct policy. I would not imagine giving a war minded civilization such things as living metal technology, or mu-accumulators.”

“Rhaine also told me that your bloodline has been challenging for supremacy in the bioaesthetics competitions? I wish more thought that way,” but she did not elaborate further on that. Someone was feeding Cephea tools they were not ready to possess.

Elynne gave Azjah another naïve look, “Challenging? Supremacy? What a weird concept.” She chuckled as they passed a black and cyan doorway into a large space? Hall? Over their heads was seemingly a sky full of satellites, and stars. Light came from several reflector satellites. Around them was a park reminding Azjah really of Alice in Wonderland. In several places, streams of raindrops served as both watering plants and decorating place. The walkways were in the air, translucent, but still visible. The park had plants and insect, or insect like birds, and bird like butterflies, or what ever the form was. They were unique any way you looked at them, however, every form seemed to have a practical use. Most of the plants either bore some fruit, or had an interesting scent, or some other point of desirable trait.

Azjah chuckled along with her, “Well, considering it is an annual event with competition, I may have used the wrong terms.”

Elynne nodded, “Aquira considers it important to show that we are at least equal to Dehtyars in that field. She has… not a very Mentari mindset.”

Azjah canted her head at her, “If there is no competition, how can you determine equality or inequality?”

“By the choice for practical implementation. At the moment, the percentage of solutions developed by Dehtyars and chosen by the big council is a bit higher.” She said it as though that were simply the natural order of things.

Azjah frowned, “Is that not influenced by consumer exposure? Some kind of marketing?”

She shrugged, “Marketing is based on psychology, right?” When Azjah nodded, she continued, “The Exhibitions are a holiday, a show off. It’s really something to enjoy. Competition, well, can say it this way too. But supremacy somehow sounds in tune with suppressing your competitor, which isn’t our way of living. The approval of Council depends on the solution’s value. Our science feeds our life.”

Azjah frowned, “So all of the offerings of these events become available?”

Elynne nodded, “The Council has advisors and co-advisors, who supply the necessary information to evaluate. Yes, eventually. Some are a pure play of mind if you ask me. If they pass the approval, they are available.”

Azjah shot Elynne a smile, “Pure research often does not yield its true value until a much later time.”

“To fail to pass the approval, a solution has to be useless, hazardous, unfinished, or lacking originality.” She started on one of the walkways, “So? Pure research remains within the Bloodline.” When Azjah inquired how the Bloodline maintained income or ownership of these solutions, Elynne gave her another startled look, “Income? Ownership? Mkay, when the approval is given, the authors of the solution are recorded. This has many implications. The Bloodline has the right to implement or sell the technology. For the authors, it’s being granted more and more access to information and commodities.”

Azjah was clearly confused now, how was it possible that time, effort and resources would be put into anything without an expectation of reward? “What is the purpose of these offerings?”

“Purpose,” Elynne smiled slightly, “to have something you have created used by others, to see it needed. To have the feeling of satisfaction from tackling the problem, it’s a question of,” her smile turned dreamy, “a question of love. You don’t do research unless you can’t live without it.”

Azjah considered that, “I see. There is a major philosophical difference in our cultures Elynne.”

She turned to look at Azjah, “I noticed. You mention income, ownership, profit.”

Azjah nodded, “Yes, such things drive our economy, fuel our research.”

“There is profit from selling a solution – to fill the credits of Bloodline, to ensure the Bloodline lives and enjoys it. But we don’t usually crave to have something we have no use for.”

“But it is not sold within Mentar?” Azjah needed to be sure she understood the point.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Baroness von Drachen Walde
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

“It’s exchanged freely. How can one pay for the air purified by Althos regenerators, or satellites coordinated by Keidain systems? But you have more authority credit, and gain access to more and more things you find need for. Hmm, consider authority credit our equivalent of currency. If that makes it easier for you.” She grinned and picked a leaf from a plant, nibbling on the edge, “there aren’t too much of us. That’s why we can afford freedom.”

Azjah took that in and watched as she picked the leaf, following suit, nibbling it as well, “Well, in our system, there would be user fees for the air, or some form of taxation to pay for such a thing.” Public services were usually paid for by the tax revenues.

Elynne gasped, “You mean, if one can’t pay the user fee, he wouldn’t breathe?”

Azjah’s brow rose fractionally, “Well, we would find some way for that person to pay. There are always needs for servants, or staff, or….” She didn’t continue as she watched Elynne’s features turn into something akin to utter shock.

She frowned a bit, “Servants? Meaning personnel to work with people, social workers?” The concept was totally alien to her.

“Well, there are many forms of servant and staff. Our social system is not exactly egalitarian Elynne. Some people must work for others to pay off debts, or as punishment for some offense against our laws.” This discussion was not going quite the way Azjah had hoped.

She blinked again, “Work as punishment? But what if the person assigned to work like that, doesn’t fully have the aptitudes and wish to work? The quality of the work would be substandard, won’t it?”

Azjah took a deep breath, “Sometimes it does not matter what that person desires Elynne. Failure to fulfil the penalties imposed by our judicial systems can result in worse penalties. If the work is substandard, there will be further penalties. Our people know this lesson as well as your people understand the concept of ‘do no harm to others’.”

Elynne gave a sigh, “It is one thing to know in theory that such civilizations may exist, another to be told that they do….perhaps your world has too many people? Overpopulation may make those in charge neglect the value of human life and individuality. In your wold, how educated most people are?”

“Perhaps that is true Elynne. My travels have introduced me to many other ways of life from the one I grew up in. Education is afforded to all. The level of education is determined by testing as children grow. We seek a ‘best fit’ based on skills and aptitudes.” The Educational system was a good one, but the feudal society had very strict mandates on who went to which schools.

Elynne gave her a puzzled look, “But that’s the same as we do, though children here are motivated to learn as much as they can in the field that they choose. Some are practical minds, they become engineers and technicians. Some are artists, and the pass into the Chilians. Some are researchers, they choose the path for themselves.”

“Our systems are a little more toward the needed functions of our world. Those with good minds for science are encouraged into physics or engineering or biochemistry. Some are mathematicians and so forth, those with minds more suited to the arts are encouraged that directions, and those with good business acumen are encouraged to become merchants and shop owners and so forth.” Azjah hoped Elynne wouldn’t follow this line of discussion too much further.

“Needed? But all trades are needed, aren’t they? Who would be hurt by another dozen or hundred of talented and inspired people doing what they do best?” There was real confusion in her expression.

Azjah glanced around them, “We try to keep things balanced, so that there are not too many people in one area and not enough in others.”

“So if some generation has an outbreak of technical talent, you make them do something not as suited for them, so that the world remains balanced?”

Azjah gave a quick laugh, “I cannot say that we have had that problem arise Elynne, but when we have for instance too many with no ambition to do more than is absolutely necessary, we have been known to put them into military service and send them to the far outposts.”

“No ambition?” That too seemed a completely foreign concept, “What kind of military do you have that is served like a punishment?”

“One that responds to the Kaiser’s demands to grow our boundaries and usually in a hostile take over Elynne.”

Elynne whistled softly, “Interesting concept. How often is does your civilization expand?”

Azjah paused, this was a slippery slope. “The previous Kaiser was in a constant state of expansion. The current Kaiser is trying to consolidate those gains.”

Elynne pondered that, “So the life of an entire world depends on one person? How is that person determined? It should be really a stressful duty.”

“The belief that the Kaiser is the chosen of our deity. Therefore, The Religion supports the Imperial Family, and the successor is determined by primogeniture. We have had some very good Kaisers, and our history has had some not so good ones.” She couldn’t bring herself to be blasphemous and call them bad, outright.

Elynne gave her a slight smile, “How…. Interesting. So archaic, like in a fictional story. Doesn’t sound very rational though.”

Azjah nodded in agreement with her, “We do follow a very ancient form of governance, that is true.” But it was also that form of government that allowed some of their finest advances to occur.

Elynne nodded, “We are a young civilization Azjah, if I may use your first name?” When Azjah nodded her agreement, she continued, “As to Mentar, we had a shining example to follow, and that has influenced us a lot. The first colonists have found the place abandoned by the Psilons, and they had full intention to take the place of that great race.

Aha, the opportunity to alter the path of this conversation! “Yes, what can you tell me about the Psilons? They are practically a mythical race in our information systems.”

She shrugged, “Ask Rhaine. My information is based on material items only.” When Azjah asked what it was precisely that the Councilors did, Elynne smiled, “coordination. Councilor position is base don making decisions for others, and realizing the responsibility of this. Technicians and engineers report on their projects, which may reflect on the welfare of the Bloodline, and we determine the course. The blood line council, with all advisors of course, determines the export policies, an devery trade agreement requires full council meeting. Also we have to coordinate educational programs, and watch the testings. Full meeting of Councilors from all blood lines determines the trade for cross bloodline technologies, major constructions, transport networks and so on.”

Azjah glanced at her, “Have there ever been ‘bad’ Councilors?”

“It’s impossible. Being bad in this position means making a decision that ruins lives of others.” It sounded so simplistic the way she said it.

Azjah winces slightly, “We’ve had bad Kaisers, and yes, they did ruin the lives of others.” When Elynne wanted to know if they had realized they were ruining lives, Azjah had to think about it, but she doubted they cared if they did realize it, “I do not believe they did Elynne, and that’s the real tragedy of it.”

Elynne looked down while walking, no longer watching the surroundings, “How… painfully irresponsible. I’m glad I do not live in your world.”

Azjah’s pale blue gaze studied Elynne a long minute, “So am I.” She would not want Elynne to experience the unfair practices.

She glanced up then, “You no longer live there? Rhaine told me you spend most of your time in a really archaic place, RhyDin, if I remember it right.”

Azjah chuckled, “I have moved to RhyDin for the most part, but I do still have to return home now and then.”

Elynne nodded slowly, “How bad is it, compared to RhyDin?”

Azjah took a deep breath, how to explain that women have so very few rights on Rigel? “Perhaps Elynne the best way to put it is that going home to Rigel makes me appreciate the archaic tendencies of RhyDin even more?”

“What are the differences?”

“RhyDin may be archaic but women have rights there Elynne. On Rigel, men are deemed more 'capable' and therefore have more rights. It is very difficult to explain, but women must defer to men on Rigel, and I find that very difficult thing to do.” She did not expect Elynne to understand it, she didn’t understand it, but it was the way of her home world.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Azjah’s time so far on Mentar had been full of surprises. The complex was even more impressive than she’d expected, and she recognized the signs of information overload as Elynne took her to another null-port. The seven symbol code was written onto the plastic card and handed to her as Elynne informed her it was the code for access to the apartment that she would be using while they were here. Elynne entered the code and stepped into the null-port and vanished, leaving Azjah alone for the first time since their arrival.

Azjah stood there a moment, uncertain whether she was expected to follow, or wait where she was until Elynne’s image came up on the terminal telling her to come along. She arrived unexpectedly into what appeared to be nothing but space. The initial sensation was one of near terror as the cabin just vanished. Azjah’d spent enough time in space to know just what would happen to the frail human form in the vacuum of space, and for the briefest instant, she thought she had done something very wrong and just deposited herself in the wrong place, but at her shocked gasp, there was air, and the moment passed as she realized this was perfectly habitable.

In fact, she found herself in a nearly weightless, transparent dome, which once her heart stopped pounding inside her chest, was quite stunningly beautiful, especially when the satellite turned slightly and the faintest edge of solar corona lit the space in dazzling light. Cascading waterfalls of light spread across the dome and a soft blue shade entered into the vibrant dance of light. The weightlessness of her current location was disorienting because it had been so unexpected, but Azjah floated there several moments simply enjoying this new experience until she hear laughter behind her.

Elynne was leaning against a door way simply watching Azjah, “I’m glad you like it, it’s pretty old, one of my teen age design ideas.” Then she smiled, “Coming?” She reached a hand out toward Azjah and they left the area. Azjah clearly wondered if this was a teen age idea, what had Elynne come up with in her maturity? But Elynne had shifted focus and was more into designing implants and not spacial designs.

They entered another labyrinthine space through a one way transparent door and crossed into an area full of plants, translucent walk ways, and a complete disregard for any concept of gravity. Azjah loved it. This was pure design and grace unlike anything she had ever seen, and yet it felt so absolutely right. It was home to as many as six families, and they took a walkway that arched toward what seemed like “the ceiling”, though up and down are completely relative. They used gravity vectors like many worlds used moving walkways. There were two apartments for guests here, and Azjah wondered how the regular inhabitants would take to having an outsider such as herself here for several days.

There were two small children playing some kind of chase game using small glide boards, and Azjah watched them a moment. Small children she had never been comfortable around, and she hoped there were not too many more here. They gave Elynne a careless wave and continued with their game.

The apartment was another surprise. The central room was large and had a view port in the ceiling that showed a large expanse of space above. Five other doors led out of the room, and they stepped inside. The floor was soft, almost like it had a fluffy carpet, and the couches were also soft. One thing she had learned was that the Mentari loved comfort. The apartment came with some sort of disk collection, and plants vining around the window. While Elynne was worried that the space would be too small, Azjah loved it. It was large enough to be ideally comfortable, and no servants to get under foot. It was a haven!

Elynne showed her how to call out some bug like robots for cleaning, and then the kitchen with food synthesizers, which were remarkably like ones she already knew. She had coffee and ice cream in two portions produced while they went to sit in the living room for a bit. Azjah truly wished that she had brought the chocolate with them from the Dragon. This would have been such a wonderful opportunity to share something back with Elynne. She seemed to so thoroughly enjoy the ice cream; it was almost as if she were a young child in her enjoyment.

They talked for some time, and Azjah asked if Elynne thought it might be possible to join one of the Mentari patrols as an observer/passenger. Elynne felt the patrols would be reasonably safe, but that they would have to check with those who were responsible however.

When Azjah asked if there was anything from Rigel that would be welcomed as an exchange, in terms of technology, or knowledge, Elynne thought that perhaps the Shuashai might better be able to answer that question. It only seemed a reasonable thing to share or exchange anything of curiosity from Rigel in exchange for everything she was learning here.

At last came the answers to how old Elynne was, and it was a shock for her to learn that the Mentari have found a way to age slowly until the end of their lives, when they burned out very suddenly. It also surprised her that many cultures come here seeking the same for themselves, which the Mentari had declined to share with outsiders. Elynne was 87 standard years of age, yet she did not look a day over 27. It was amazing.

Then they touched on a subject that troubled Azjah. No Mentari child was born un-enhanced. And safety was a controlled thing. She gave Azjah an overview of Mentari reproduction, and when she said that no child was conceived and carried as human biology intended, Azjah felt a pang of guilt. Elynne had no way of knowing that Azjah had attempted to follow biology for Klinton’s sake, and the result had been disastrous. Medieval indeed. She’d killed her daughter, there was no other way to view it.

It did surprise her that Rhaine had been a biological birth and not a laboratory birth. Elynne was confessing that she felt Rhaine had hailed from a very backward place indeed, then added that it was before the Psilon Exodus. That perked Azjah’s attention. She had labored under the idea that the Psilon’s had been long gone and that this Mentari experiment had been based on remnants of a society that no one knew or had experience with in the past. To find out that Rhaine actually knew the Psilons was a huge surprise for her. “Rhaine predates the Psilon vanishing?”

One rule for the Mentari was that they only recommend someone as a source of information if they are the best source, and Elynne had suggested that Azjah talk to Rhaine. Now she could see why. Rhaine had known a people that had simply vanished. Elynne began to explain a little more about the Psilons, telling her that the Dehtyar and the Gair had come through the nebula before the Psilons left, but she added that such notions were regarded as legend since there was nothing to verify that claim that anyone had as yet discovered. And, information that they were not absolutely certain of were not shared outside the research teams. It was the basis of their ‘no risk’ rule. Another one of the rules that Azjah struggled with accepting came to light.

“So, if you are uncertain, it remains until researched to a satisfactory level?” She couldn’t imagine sitting on information or speculation and prohibiting its access by the masses simply because it was not proven. How many inventions and ideas came to being because someone outside of research or academia came up with a novel approach to a problem?

Yes Elynne repeated that “risk is making a decision with insufficient information, and availability of information is main here.” But they wouldn’t allow the legends to be revealed? It seemed so very contradictory to her. She added that if something was uncertain, it would remain in the research facility and would not go public. Azjah’s initial reaction was shock, and when she asked Elynne, “You eliminate all risk?” Elynne smiled slightly, “Saftey and movement. Experimenting, research, theory, search for knowledge are things we live for. But leisure, holiday, trade, these have to be safe.”

Azjah hated that answer. The Mentari Bloodline Council made the decisions on what was safe and allowed for all of the people. There was no freedom of choice to follow individual paths. To Azjah, it sounded very much like control over all research, and her thoughts rebelled strongly at that idea. “Why is there such control over the research and the information Elynne?”
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

You have your own wishes. You make them known. You become possible to manipulate.
Every fish has a bait it would have no chance to resist.
Almost every sentient being is a fish.
Trained Crystal is a fisherman.

But even the basics of Crystal training could be put aside for a while - when the radiance of Starport atrium and feeling of flight washed over priestess' senses. She knew well enough about the technology needed to maintain the safety of atriums, but this could not diminish the wonderful effect of those. Mentar Station was her second home, and only Asmodeus could know how much time and effort she has invested into this place.

She watched Azjah, and part of her mind analyzed everything said and done, editing the list of places to see. But only a part.

As they entered the null-portal, Rhaine knew well enough where they would go. For an outsider it would be another, very-very alien place. One place very close to the bait. One step closer to make her dizzy with this insane scientific Wonderland.

Through the intentionally simplistic null-port. Through the dazzling freedom of flying. Into the headquarters of Althos bloodline.

Rhaine watched Azjah and Elynne establish the contact. As soon as she was sure that the rigelian guest won't be left alone, she left. In the end, she was the one that had neurocontacts grown into her head - something way too risky and unwanted for a human, but quite enjoyable for a being of her kind. Any time Elynne connects to neural interface, Rhaine would have no trouble sending her a call.

Smooth, swift steps carried her to the capsule occupied by Aquira Althos-Gair. Correct - it was a capsule. A cocoon. Aquira preferred to stick to rounded shape of rooms, and to lack of distinct walls or floor or ceiling. She also despised the visible comfort of material furniture. When Rhaine entered, Aquira was comfortably floating in the air, immersed in misty light, and thin strands of fog swirled around her head. "New trend in neural interfaces - design mostly at first," Rhaine guessed. She took off to rest in null-gravity, and closed the exit.

"I'm honored by your arrival, im-Gair."
"Oh not again," quasi-vampiress responded with a mental laugh. "I'm simply glad to see you again, Aquira. Now, let's see how you react to this" and she transferred a piece of code. There was an astonished silence in response. Aquira even opened her pale blue eyes.
"But it's the solution we've been looking for! A way to avoid the law of metabolic multiplication... What's the catch, im-Gair?"
"This tiny sequence, dearie. Yes, we are avoiding the inevitability of final hour. But see what it does to nervous system. We would have to find a way to slow down the impulse, otherwise your children will stab themselves with forks by pure accident"
"And no way around?"
"There is. But I do think you are capable of sorting it out after all the work you've done against the LMM. It looks pretty much standard"
"And you don't want to be a benevolent intruder again," Aquira finished the unsaid phrase. "Why are you doing this, im-Gair?"
"Because this place is my dream? Or I just want to give Dehtyars a kick on the rear end," Rhaine grinned. "And spread our way around."

Aquira emerged from the soft embrace of direct exchange and switched to voice communication. "Your visit always has a surprise to me. So what's the recent surprise?"
"Our guest - Azjah Danaan, Marchioness von Drachen Valde from Rigel. I know you consider Rigelians quite barbaric from what I see in the Shuashai-Darlok reports. But this woman has a brain. And we need to make the most out of her visit. Use her as a distraction - to make sure Bloodline Council finally listens to us"
"And pulls A-Tun through"
"Right"
~There's an after to every now...
an answer to every how...~
- Samael
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

Aquira watched Rhaine. Both women seemed emotionless, and only the swirling clouds around them could be an indicator of neural interface activity.

"Aren't you afraid to let this knowledge slip out?"
"No. This is what I exist for."
"Just like us."
"This was intentional."
"You know it's dangerous in the long run? Who would decide about those to get it installed?"
"With the slow growth of Mentar? Don't see how. Especially after the accidents that nearly halved the population and brought the Approvals practice. Install it to anybody willing, and hope they don't die too often."
"Will Rey agree?"
"He already has."
"Silly boy."
"You don't seem to approve my actions, Aquira"
"With all my reverence, you are too much into chess-playing, im-Gair. Though probably less than others of your kind"

Aquira bowed, and increased gravity in her office. They landed, and walked out. It was time for another meeting. Another move in the chess game
~There's an after to every now...
an answer to every how...~
- Samael

Return to “Palazzo Drachen Walde”