The Colonel

Transplanted Rigelian and her adventures in the Nexus world of RhyDin and
beyond.

Moderator: Azjah von Drachen Walde

Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Azjah von Drachen Walde »

Dominik walked out from the sleeping quarters, "Good morning Colonel, I believe you are in the berth next to the Marchioness." He motioned for Wil to follow him.

"I'll be right there, bring your things aboard." She had systems on line and auto-checks running before she slipped out of the seat to go looking for him. It hadn’t surprised her that Dominik had shown him to his room, so she headed that direction.

Wil nodded to Dominik. "Good morning. Thank you, Dominik." Wil had an idea where the berth might be from his last adventure on the Star Dragon. He put the garment bags over his right shoulder, picked up his briefcase with his left hand and started toward the berths, slightly ahead of Azjah.

She caught up and led him past her own door, pausing beside the next one, her palm activating the sliding door, which opened into a small, but well laid out space. "Closet is to the right, there is a small private bath there, and the bed is pretty self explanatory. Since we don't spend a lot of time in these, they are small." She let her eyes slide over him as she explained where everything was, "Shall I give you time to unpack?" There was something very intimate about standing in that room with him.

"Since when is a bed self explanatory," he said with that bad boy grin and a wink. "I don't need to unpack now. I'll just hang them up in the closet and remove the personal items later. One bag held formal wear, another his I.I.S.C. uniform, and the third had his more relaxed wear and all the personal items in a separate compartment. He normally tried to travel very light, but in this case he wanted to be at least a little prepared for anything. He also assumed he could obtain on Rigel anything else required. He hung the bags, closed the closet door and looked upon Azjah. Just the sight of her made everything right with the world.

She canted her head with a soft chuckle that was ever so slightly embarrassed by her boldness, “Flight suit, Colonel, I’ll meet you in the cockpit in 10.” She then sidestepped to her own door and gave him a grin, “If I need to explain a bed to you, I’ll do it after take off.”

He cleared his throat, and scratched near his ear, trying not to smile to broadly. "Right, flight suit, and on deck in 10." He went into his small room and began to change. Such rooms might seem suffocating to some, but for him this was what he was used to. In fact, it was larger than most he had the "pleasure" of calling home. It was not long before he was dressed for travel and exiting his berth.

Azjah disappeared into her own room trying not to laugh as she donned the silver and black suit, pausing to study her reflection a moment. Her voice was a faint whisper, “Scarlet thought these were scandalous, perhaps she was right.” She touched the pad, and her door slid open as she started to head for the cockpit, then paused, turned back and gave a light tap on Wil’s door, “Decent?” she queried him through the barrier.

Wil opened the door wearing his black and gray flight suit that matched the standard I.I.S.C. uniform. "Unfortunately, yeah." He added with a hint of a grin. Their suits did not match, but were similar enough that perhaps someone unfamiliar with the ship and its crew would think they were similar issue suits, but representing different ranks. Wil looked her over and raised a brow. "Very nice."

She gave him a long, appreciative look, flight suits were rather nice in some ways. “That almost looks like its by design.” At his compliment, she did a quick pirouette, “Thank you, we’ve got a 6:10 departure, the autopilot is programmed to take over once we clear the ionosphere.” She then gave him a grin, “And, I cam prepared.” She handed him a double deck of Canasta cards as a surprise.

He took the double deck of Canasta cards in hand and simply examined them with this look of 'Why did I open my big mouth' on his face. "Um, thanks, Azjah. It's nice to know that our flight will not sink into the depths of boredom." He rolled his eyes then gave her a wink. "Always good to travel with a pilot who comes prepared. I feel so much better."

“I thought you might.” She struggled to keep a straight face at his expression. “Shall we?” Azjah turned and headed forward, passing Dominik, who had already made himself comfortable with a book. She settled into the left seat, scanning all the readouts before checking on Wil. “Thank you, for coming along.” Outwardly she wouldn’t let her nervousness over this appointment show, but inside, she was very uncertain about the outcome.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Baroness von Drachen Walde
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Wil tossed the cards to his bed, closed the door behind him and followed Azjah to the flight deck. "Ah, it's all coming back to me now...the pirates, the interception and wonderful Gov. Matt's ship staring at us. Yes, this feels like home." He settled in the right seat. "You don't really think I'd have stayed behind, do you? If you didn't allow me to accompany you, I would have been following you in my own ship. You're not getting away from me so easily."

Azjah gave him a soft chuckle, “Who said I wanted to get away?” She touched the com link, advising the Tower that they were ready for departure. She was learning that she truly loved his sense of humor and his light hearted teasing. He was not as moody or intense as Klinton had been; which was proving to be more companionable. And, she had yet to see Wil over indulge in alcohol, which was a plus she hadn’t even registered until that moment.

Wil just quickly sent a glance over to her, smiled, then went over the controls and checklist to familiarize himself with them once more.

The moorings that held the Star Dragon in the bay were released, and they were cleared for launch. The sleek vessel powered up with a steady hum as Azjah glanced at Wil, “Well, we have 5 days to ourselves, and then it will get interesting.” She gave him a quick smile, and sincerely hoped it would not be as ‘interesting’ as her last encounter with the Kaiser had been. “I do hope you won’t be too bored.”

Without taking his eyes off the controls he replied, "I don't know. I was thinking that the five days to ourselves would be the interesting part." He didn't hide his smirk very well.

They lifted off from the launch pad and soon left RhyDin behind, during which time, she had kept her eyes locked on the system read outs, but once they had cleared the ionosphere, she glanced over at him, “You are not the social butterfly sort I take it?” She had some difficulty schooling her features and not giving away that she’d very clearly understood his meaning. “There is not much to do onboard, a little target practice, a little star gazing…..” She deliberately let her voice trail off before she added, “And then there is teaching you how to use that enigma called a bed.” It was with great difficulty that she kept from bursting into laughter.

"Beds on a ship can be so tricky. Can't be too careful, you know." He looked over at her with a quick up/down of his eyebrows. "Oh, and don't forget the Canasta. I'm sure the time is just going to fly by."

Azjah couldn’t help herself at that point and she laughed, “Absolutely have to watch those tricksy beds.” She double checked the flight coordinates before engaging the auto-systems. Then she turned toward Wil, “Hungry?”

Wil turned to Azjah, "I thought you'd never ask."

What she saw in those eyes had naught to do with hunger for food, “Well, first things are first you know.” She unfastened the four point harness, “I hear a hot cup of tea summoning me.” She gave him a wink and stepped out of the way so that he could escape the right seat.

He sat there for a moment, just taking this all in. They would have five days together, and then they would be standing before the Kaiser, negotiating so that they might really be together, perhaps for the rest of their lives. He watched the planet moving away behind them and the blackness of space before them. They were traveling an enormous distance to attempt to have no distance whatsoever between them. Life sure was paradoxical. He got up and followed Azjah to the dinette.

She requested a hot cup of cranberry tea and an English muffin with lemon curd from the replicator, “And what can we tempt you with Colonel?”

"That English muffin looks good, but I'll have mine with coffee. I can get it." He stood and looked around, tried to figure out the coffee dispenser, pushing various buttons until he finally got it to work. Then he turned to Azjah with a bit of an embarrassed smile, "Piece of cake."
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

She gave him a merry laugh, “So I see.” Then she headed into the common area, glancing at Dominik, who was still buried deeply into his book. She settled onto one of the butter soft leather seats, “We have only three things that we ‘must’ do, I hope you won’t mind a detour to visit my parents before we sail? I’ve set our destinations as Curaçao and Antilles, but if you have somewhere else in mind?”

"Visit your parents? Sure, I'd love to see your parents." He sat down in a seat next to hers, crossing his left leg over his right knee as he sipped the coffee.

Dominik glanced over the top of his book at that point, leveling that odd green gaze at Azjah.

"Well, I need to place flowers. It's something I do whenever I go home. There won't be much to see." She took a tentative sip of the hot tea. He had seemed eager to meet her parents, but Kendrick had made that an impossibility. That was something for which she would never be able to forgive him.

He looked over his cup at her. "Oh, I see. I'm so sorry. How long has it been . . . since their passing?"

"I was 19, just leaving for the University." She frowned into the cup of tea. "Their yacht exploded just as it cleared the harbor." It is said that time heals all wounds, but when ever she had to talk about that day, her chest felt as though someone were squeezing her in a vice.

He lowered his cup and looked at her, brow furrowing. "My god." He didn't know if he should press the issue at this point, but yachts don't just explode. "That must have been so horrible for you. No one should have to go through that."

“I was on the pier." She toyed with the tea; they never caught the murderer, though I know who it was. He admitted it two and a half years ago." She looked up at him then, "It's a short detour, and then we have Calypso at our disposal. And we can see if those songs are accurate." This was a conversation she always hated, but she hated more the fact that Kendrick had gone free.

He nodded, thinking about what she said. They would surely discuss this more, so he held back his questions. He forced a smile, "Yes, of course. And if they're not accurate, I will be very disappointed." He sipped more of his coffee.

"We'll have 3 or 4 days before the Kaiser will see me. The only thing in my favor is that it was his father who married us, and the son did not precisely get along with his sire in the end. Maybe he will be pleased to accede to the request." She took a bite of the English muffin "And so my well traveled Colonel, what would you like to do on your return visit?"

"There's that little place with the greasy hamburgers on the corner of Circle Drive. I never go to Rigel without stopping there." He hid his smile with the coffee cup. "Greasiest things in the entire galaxy, I'd swear."

Both brows winged upward at that. “And when does our wager begin?” She wasn’t certain greasy hamburgers were something she could manage to choke down.

"Which wager are you speaking of? Oh...the Food Wager! Well, the FW begins after we see the Kaiser. I'd hate to have to excuse myself for a run to the bathroom."

Azjah leaned a little closer to him with a teasing smile on her lips, “ah, no sense of adventure again my Colonel?”

"My sense of adventure ends where common sense takes over. I'm not going to chance anything getting messy...so to speak." He gave her a wink.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

She uncurled from her chair and set down the empty tea cup, “We didn’t have time for that tour the last time, would you care to have a look?”

"You mean there's more to this ol' ship than I've already seen." He was teasing her. "Sure, I want the complete tour this time." He stood up and set his nearly empty cup down.

Azjah reached for his hand, something that she had been reluctant to do these last weeks in public. And while they were not alone, they had more privacy than they’d ever had. “Yes, a little more than what you saw the last time.” She liked the feel of his hand in hers as she led him down the opposite wing from the sleeping quarters. She paused at the first door they encountered, and her touch activated it. The silvery door whooshed open into a darkened space with a clear view of the stars and infinity through which they sailed. “Not much of an observatory, but I come here to relax,” she told him as they stepped over the threshold and the door swished closed.

Wil slipped his arms around her waist and put his head next to Azjah's. "I can see why," he said softly.

She moved a bit closer to him, wrapping both arms around his waist as she let go of some of the tension coiled inside of her. “Finally, a moment almost alone.” She smiled up at him in the darkness.

She was just a shadow in the darkened room, but even if it were total darkness it wouldn't have mattered. He already knew every feature of her face and the expression she'd be wearing if he couldn't have seen it. "It's nice to have this time." He leaned his forehead against hers and held her more tightly. "I'm liking this new tour."

She nestled in against him in the near darkness, “There are entirely new areas of exploration ahead on this tour.” It was a double entrendre that she knew he understood as she rested her head against his shoulder and savored his scent. Azjah liked the way he smelled whenever she had been this close.

His arms wrapped around her shoulders and his lips touched her hair. His voice was but a whisper, "I don't know what I'm going to do if they don't grant you the annulment." His love for this woman was growing deeper and he didn't want to be without her in his life.

Azjah raised her head to look up at him as the interstellar distance between RhyDin and Rigel began to diminish. Then she reached up to place her index finger lightly over his lips, “Shh, if the Kaiser cannot see the logic of releasing me from those vows, there are other choices.” They were not choices that she liked, by any means, but if the Kaiser denied her petition, she could sever her ties.

He placed a kiss on that finger. "I love you, Azjah, and I'll do whatever I have to so that we can be together. I promise." His voice was deep and tender.

"I never expected you to walk into my life and make me realize how dead I was Wil, I have quickly fallen in love myself,” She kissed the corner of his mouth. “And we have cards for when you get bored with me."

He broke the relative silence of the room with his laughter. "That was excellent planning on your part. Very...um, resourceful." He became serious again, cupped her face in his hands, and placed a tender, loving kiss upon her lips, lingering there in the moment.

She slid her hands slowly upward along his chest as her lips met his in that tender moment, she returned his kiss in kind before a slow smile curved her velvety lips. “I can be very creative and resourceful.”

"Mmm...and for some reason, that doesn't surprise me in the least." He held her to him and inhaled her fragrance and felt her warmth. "Is the Kaiser going to be sorry he knows us?"

Azjah kissed along his jaw, “He knows me for his ally, I do not believe he will regret our association." She was enjoying his distraction.

Her kisses along his jaw, in the darkened space and all alone, were making it very difficult for Wil to control his desires. "I don't think he will either." Wil knew he could always play that I.I.S.C. trump card. Even the Kaiser would not take lightly having an ally so high up in such a powerful organization.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Overlord Challenge

Azjah headed for the Annex. It was the night of the challenge between Xeric and Overlord Rakeesh, and she had agreed to officiate for both men. She stepped through the doors and headed for the caller’s sofa where Corlanthis was busy with a book. He glanced up at her, “Good evening Miss Azjah, what brings you round these parts?”

He sounded surprised to see her in the Annex, and she realized she hadn’t been frequenting the Swords venue much of late. “I’ve come to call Xeric and Rakeesh’s challenge Cor.” She wasn’t a regular DOS caller anymore, but now and then, for a special occasion, she would return to these rings to officiate.

She settled down onto the comfortable old couch as Xeric arrived with his Lady of Honor. He led Emma to a table near the rings, pulling out a chair for her with a warm smile before turning toward Azjah, “Thanks for coming to call for us.” He was dressed in red for tonight’s event, and Azjah noted to herself that the Russian was full of surprises.

Emma’s brow rose as she glanced at Cor with his book, then she glanced at Azjah with a smile. She took her seat and was engaged in conversation with Xeric that Azjah could not hear from her vantage point.

“My pleasure Xeric. Good evening Emma.” Azjah told them before she sent Marcus for a glass of scotch and settled in for the evening by kicking off the stilettos, though she found herself missing having Wil at her side.

“Ahhh, that is tonight, isn’t it?” Cor realized and then glanced at Xeric, “Good luck in your attempt Xeric.”

Xeric’s features were emotionless as he glanced about for Rakeesh, wondering where the Overlord might be and what was keeping him, then he gave Corlanthis a smile, “thank you, I’m going to give it a #$%^&* good try.”

Azjah curled up on the sofa and cradled the scotch glass between both hands before taking a sip of the rich amber liquid while she awaited the arrival of the Overlord.

Taneth arrived and bounded into the room before running to pounce on Cor, nearly spilling Azjah’s scotch in the process. Azjah chuckled, “good evening to you too Taneth.” She was thankful that none of the scotch had splashed out of the glass and onto her clothing.

She grinned, “Hellooooo, Azjah!” Corlanthis had reached out to catch her, but in the process dropped his book onto the floor.

Rakeesh arrived then, the double doors sliding to a creaking close behind him as he trotted into the Annex loftily on all four paws. Azjah gave him a regal inclination of her head, “Good evening Rakeesh.”

He dipped his head gently toward her, then allowed his old red-brown eyes to scan around the room, seeking his slated opponent.

Once both men were ready, Azjah rose to address the crowd, “Gentlemen, we are hosting tonight's challenge by Xeric Mues, who is dueling with Emma Maye as his Lady of Honor, and under the Red/blue and green flag of the House of Mues. Overlord Rakeesh is dueling under the blue and white flag of the Adventurer's Guild. This will be a best 2 of 3 style contest. At stake, the title Overlord, and all of the rights, privileges and duties there in. Gentlemen, please enter Ring Challenge.”

As Azjah sat down once more, Taneth snuggled in between Azjah and Corlanthis. Azjah wrapped one arm around the girl as she told the crowd, “Ladies and Gentlemen, let your favorite duelist know you're out there. Cheer loudly and often.”

The first match began and just as steel was about to collide with bones, Wil entered the Annex. He looked around the room and spotted Azjah preparing to officiate the match. He smiled at her and walked toward the caller’s sofa with the grace of a big cat on the prowl.

Xeric and Rakeesh began the match in the best bloody fashion of a swords duel as Xeric cut low and Rakeesh cut high. Blood hit the sand in the opening round, promising an event of significance.

Azjah gave Wil a radiant smile, clearly pleased and surprised to see him. He wasn’t a regular in the Annex any more, and she hadn’t known him when he had been a regular. Taneth leaned her head on Azjah as she got comfortable. Azjah glanced at Taneth and smiled before telling Wil, “Ah, my dear, you could make it!”

He stood behind her and spoke softly, “yes, thank you for the invite.” His hands dropped to her shoulders and began a gentle massage as he glanced into the ring.

Azjah pulled Taneth closer so she’d be comfortable before leaning back to look up at Wil, “Much better now that you’re here.” Something about having Wil close always made her feel better.

He smiled at Taneth, “Hello there!” Taneth glanced at Wil with a little smile, “Hello.”
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Azjah patted the caller’s sofa beside her, opposite where Taneth was snuggled in watching the match. He moved around and slid onto the cushion beside her and Azjah leaned close enough to place a kiss on his cheek. She wasn’t much on public displays of affection, but Wil was too good to resist. He leaned into the kiss and gave her his best bad-boy grin, which elicited a merry laugh from Azjah. “So I don’t need to introduce you and Taneth?” She wasn’t certain how many people Wil might remember, and she wanted him to be comfortable on his return to this part of RhyDin. He glanced at Taneth with a smile, “No, we know each other.” Azjah smiled and curled her other arm around Wil. But at about that point, Tormay arrived, and as he was greeted Taneth launched herself off the sofa and made a bee line straight for Tormay.

The match continued to move on, Xeric fancily circular parried to ward off a book end cut, however the Overlord did not oblige him, but instead fancily sidestepped around the parry for a style point and a 2-1 lead.

The next two rounds came in a flurry of action as Xeric thrust straight at the Overlord’s torso and sent Rakeesh’s blade wide and with barely a blink, then sent Ivan in a low cut, seeking to take out Rakeesh’s legs, but it was Rakeesh’s turn to thrust the great blade home and shed some of Xeric’s blood. Rakeesh came out of that exchange leading 3-2 after 4 rounds.

Wil’s deep blue gaze was on the aggressive match for several moments and Azjah couldn’t tell what he was thinking, but then he leaned in and placed a kiss on her cheek and whispered, “one wonderful kiss deserves another.” He slid his arm around her now that Taneth had vacated the couch.

Azjah reached over with her now free hand and gently caressed his cheek, “I’ll second that.” Something about the way he looked at her always managed to raise her temperature, even when it was nothing more than a passing glance. Then she chuckled as Taneth leapt on poor Tormay. She gave Wil a smile, “I wish I had her energy.” Even if leaping into Wil’s arms in public wasn’t something she would do, she could certainly find an appropriate outlet for such boundless energy.

Xeric was unrelenting and Ivan was cut high as Rakeesh fancily sidestepped at the wrong moment, allowing the challenger to tie up the first match at 3 all.

Taneth clung to Tormay as she pressed smooches and hugs on him before telling him, “Azjah said to cheer for our favorite duelists, so I cheered for you!” She gave him a grin.

Azjah cuddled closer to Wil, but her gaze remained fixed on the ring, until she gave Taneth a wink hearing her. “Absolutely.”

Tormay giggled, “But I am not even dueling. Does that mean I am supposed to cheer for Dalamar then?”

Taneth matched his giggle, “I do not think so, but I wanted to cheer for you. Come, let us see the duel.” She reached out and petted one of his wings, which elicited a slight trembling of said wings.

In the sixth round, Xeric fancy danced the wrong way only to find his legs bloodied by the great sword Rakeesh wielded an a biting low cut. The Overlord took a 4-3 lead.

Azjah glanced at Wil, “Would you like something to drink?” She’d remembered fondly the results of the Masked Ball, and for the moment, only she was partaking of any alcohol. Perhaps he would give her leave to get him into an unguarded state once more.

“No thanks, babe, I’ll have something later.” He gave her another grin, “Can I get YOU something, or do they still have servers here?” The insinuation was that he wanted her unguarded, but she found with Wil, she was only too happy to let go of propriety and inhibition.

Azjah nodded as he declined her offer before reaching for her own neglected glass of scotch, and raising a brow at him, “So, no permission to get you inebriated tonight?” It was a pity in her eyes, but then she chuckled as Marcus walked out of the kitchen area, “Marcus and Hubie are still here.”

Wil grinned, “After all these years.”

Azjah nodded, “Yes, Hubie was rescued from incarceration.” She wouldn’t go into the details, but it had been a travesty brought about by the one person she could not abide in all of Rhydin.

Wil’s words broke her thoughts, “Something’s never change, but that’s good.”

Azjah smiled, “It wouldn’t be the basement without them.” He agreed and gave her shoulder a gentle squeeze. Somehow the idea of losing the serving boys after so long seemed a real crime, and she hoped Hubie and Marcus would be there a good long while.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

The seventh round was a beautiful display of dueling ability as both males showed off mirror fancy ducks, but they did nothing toward establishing the first match’s winner in this round.

Azjah leaned a bit closer to Wil with a soft whisper, “We need to dance more often.”

His expression was pure seduction in its most primal form as he softly whispered back, “you mean as at the ball, or afterwards?” Then he gave her a wink.

Azjah colored abruptly, but she met his brilliant blue gaze with a smile, “both?” The room had suddenly grown much, much too warm as she held those brilliant blue eyes.

He laughed abruptly at her reply, “Good answer!”

Azjah winked at him, “I know,” she told him with utter confidence that he had enjoyed both forms of dance as much as she had.

The eighth round of the challenge remained scoreless as Xeric parried laterally against Rakeesh’s fancy disengage. The score remained 4-3 in the Overlord’s favor. Both duelists were beginning to tire noticeably.

Wil hugged her tighter as she smiled up at him, she was so glad he’d come. Simply the opportunity to be curled up beside him was more than they’d been able to find time for lately, and she savored it. He leaned down to kiss her lips this time, but instead of lingering there as he usually did, he made it a quick one so as not to distract her from calling.

She looked up at him with a warm smile, “mmm, I like that.” Then with a playful wink she returned her attention to her ring, but she reached for his free hand as she did so. She craved even that simple contact with him.

Wil took her hand in his, softly caressing it with his thumb. The slow, easy kind of caress that is designed to be soothing, and sensual at the same time. Wil was the epitome of Sardanapalian delights wrapped into one body.

Round nine came, and brought with it more of Xeric’s blood as Rakeesh cut low and Xeric danced into the cut instead of away from it. Rakeesh earned the win in the first match 5-3. Azjah asked both men if they would like a break, but neither desired a breather, and she ushered them into the second round and to begin when they were ready.

The second match opened with both men slicing one another open with opposing cuts. Xeric opened low, cutting into the liontaur’s legs, but Rakeesh answered with an equally wicked high cut, once more opening up Xeric’s shoulder. 1-1

Azjah laced her fingers with Wil’s as she lifted his hand to place a kiss on his knuckles. He smiled at her gesture, and his other hand gently rubbed her shoulder as he watched the match proceed.

The second round saw Xeric smoothly moving into an elegant stop hit, and Rakeesh fancily parrying, but no one thrust. There is a pause in the bleeding.

Wil spotted Simini, who was intently following the current Overlord and his progress. He remembered her from long ago, and he wondered if she remembered him at all. Azjah followed Wil’s glance, speaking softly so as not to draw unwanted attention, “Someone you know?”

She glanced around then, nodding to Wil and giving him a small smile of recognition, but immediately her attention went back to the ring. She had been following Rakeesh’s duel most intently.

Wil nodded, “Yes, from a long time ago.” He returned her smile with a nod and smile of his own, and exchanging a ‘nice to see you again’ nod.

Azjah smiled, “I’m glad you have seen one familiar face here then.” She didn’t want him to be uncomfortable or worse, bored because he did not know anyone in the Annex. That made for long evenings when one was a stranger in a strange land.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

The duelists seemed to have caught a second wind as rounds three and four came in another flurry of activity. Xeric aimed low again with Ivan, but Rakeesh’s reach and larger, heavier blade were thrust home in a more pointed attack. Then Xeric reversed Ivan to slice into the Liontaur’s shoulder, but Rakeesh scored back to back points on the challenger. At the end of the fourth round, it was 3-2 Rakeesh.

Wil turned his rich blue gaze on Azjah, speaking very softly, “Many years ago, I used to spend more time in the duels, and would even duel once in a while. Quite well, I might add.” He gave her a mischievous wink. He did not confess his dueling rank, but was clear that he was a force to be reckoned with back then.

Azjah quirked a pale brow at him, “did you?” She gave him a grin that spelled trouble, “Does that mean I need to fear for the furniture?” Somehow she couldn’t see Wil with a length of steel in his hands when he had his blaster and 9mm. The image of Wil slashing about with a sword simply did not fit with the man she knew, but……one never could be certain.

He laughed, “I don’t know, your furniture looks like it could hold up.”

Azjah was appalled, her Louis XIV and XV furniture was not cut out for sword play, “To swords?????” She fought back a grin, but tried to give him her best shocked look in its stead.

“I can give it a freshly carved look,” He told her quite matter of factly.

Azjah leaned over and lightly nipped his ear, “I like the furniture the way it is.” Then she grinned at him. He shivered lightly at her nip as she then flashed him a smile, “And that sir, is a promise.” The double entendre was not missed by him as he gave her another bad boy smile, “I love the way you keep your promises darlin’.”

Rounds five, six and seven came in a furious set as first Xeric dropped into a fancy peacock and Rakeesh fancily danced aside only to have both males come back with dual low cuts as steel rang against steel for the first time that night, which was followed up by Xeric fancy dancing and Rakeesh doing the fancy peacock. All in all, a lot of energy was expended, but there was simply no blood. 3-2 Rakeesh held onto the lead in the second match.

Azjah gave Wil a soft laugh as she sipped the scotch thoughtfully, “Does that mean I might get you into a ring one day?” She canted her head as she regarded him playfully, “Or would you prefer to shoot me on the range?” She had no doubts about Wil’s abilities, but it would be interesting to pit her own skills against his a time or two.

Wil looked down at the hand she held, “Good possibility.”

Azjah hadn’t missed his insinuation, and her smile grew radiant, “I like the sound of that.” He’d become such an integral part of her life, she did not want to consider what would happen if he walked out of it.

Wil grinned then and squeezed her with the arm he had around her shoulders, and Azjah settled in comfortably next to him. When she looked up at him, he lowered his mouth to hers for a quick kiss on the lips before returning his gaze to the duel with the most innocent of expressions. Azjah gave him a breathless whisper, “later you can have my undivided attention.”

Round eight saw Xeric aim high once more, and once again the Overlord took advantage and thrust the great blade home and true to take a 4-2 lead.

Round nine Xeric wisely dropped into that fancy peacock and managed to gain a full style point along with a good look at Rakeesh’s style in a fancy circular parry and narrowed the score to 4-3, closing on Rakeesh’s lead.

In round 10, Xeric thrust Ivan straight and true as Rakeesh had attempted to go low, but missed wide as Xeric tied it up 4 all.

Round 11 saw the end of the second match. Xeric fancily sidestepped around the fancy circular parry from the Overlord and that allowed Xeric to tie it up at one match apiece. He had come from behind to claim his first win of the night. The Challenge would go to the third and final match.

When Azjah asked if anyone required a break, Xeric nodded. Rakeesh was clearly in pain as the two exited the ring.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Azjah took that opportunity to look up at Wil, who hadn’t answered her earlier query. He glanced down at her and then winked, so she slipped an arm around him and began tickling his ribs. She loved the fact that he was ticklish and that she could make him squirm with just a light touch. He grinned at her, “You are soooooo going to get it.”

Azjah gave him a laugh that clearly said she was not afraid of that threat, “You do keep telling me that.” Then she rested her head against his shoulder as the two duelists re-entered the ring for the final match. It opened with Xeric cutting high and Rakeesh obligingly stepping right into the path of Ivan as Xeric drew first blood. 1-0

Wil’s fingertips lightly moved over Azjah’s neck, and sent shivers of anticipation through her body. To get her mind off that avenue, she looked up at him, “So I never got an answer about shooting at me on the range.”

He blinked in surprise, “What? I missed.”

The second and third round were nearly a blur of action as Xeric thrust Ivan straight and true, causing Rakeesh’s low cut to go harmlessly wide, but then Xeric miscalculated and fancy danced into the great sword wielded by the Overlord, who’s high cut once again laid open Xeric’s shoulder. 2-1

Azjah chuckled softly at him, “Well, I asked if I’d be able to get you into a ring, or perhaps on the target practice range.” She smiled sweetly, “I got the noncommittal response about the ring, but I never heard back about the shooting range.” She was struggling to keep a straight face. His answer about getting into a ring had been clear enough for her, but there hadn’t been any response to a game of laser tag with her on the firing range, and a part of her truly wanted to see how she would fare against him.

Wil simply gave her ‘the eye’ as he was not about to get pulled into one of her clever schemes. “I’ll have to think about it, darlin’.”

She canted her head at him, “A little target practice now and then is a healthy thing.” She loved the way he turned the word ‘darlin’.’

He waggled his brows at her, “You think you can win?”

Azjah gave him her best, most self assured look, “Of course.” Her target shooting skills were good. Better than many, but she had absolutely no idea how good Wil was, and she wanted to know. But then he shocked her by telling her that she was probably right! At her utterly shocked expression, he leaned over and kissed her, which promptly made her forget the whole thread of that discussion.

The next round had both men going defensive with Xeric stop hitting the fancy lateral parry from Rakeesh. 2-1 Xeric

Round 5 was a round Imp would have been proud of! The first dual impalement of the evening as Xeric thrust and Rakeesh thrust. Both blades sank home and more blood spilled into the sand. 3-2 Xeric led.

Round 6, Xeric cut low and aimed for the liontaur’s legs once again, but Rakeesh compounded the damage by fancily ducking into the cut. 4-2 Xeric led.

Round 7 saw the end of the third match as Xeric thrust hard and fast with Ivan, the blade once more hitting its mark as Rakeesh had tried to go high, but the great blade could not find its mark. Xeric had secured the second win in this best of three series, laying claim to the Title Overlord of DOS.

Azjah’s voice rose above the noise of the room, “All hail the new Overlord of DOS.” She nodded at Rakeesh, “Extremely well fought Overlord Rakeesh. It has been an honor to call for you.” Then she looked at Xeric, “Well won in a come from behind series Xeric. May your reign be long and happy.”

Emma stood up clapping her hands, clearly very excited and proud of Xeric. Her smile was huge.

Xeric dropped Ivan and leaned against Rakeesh, “God, let’s never do that again.” The former overlord’s rugged expression was weary and old as he bellowed forth, “Very well fought for, and earned effendi. Congratulations.” With that, Xeric pushed himself away from Rakeesh and leaned over to retrieve Ivan from the sand, “I thought you had me,” he told Rakeesh then.

Both men bowed toward Azjah and she thanked them for a truly fine challenge match to call. She made a few notes and told them that the public cork would contain the results in the morning. She watched as Rakeesh slowly re-strapped the giant blade to his back as he responded aside to Xeric, “Should have seen me in my youth, effendi, but I am honoured to have fought against you this evening. Reign well, and wisely, Overlord Xeric.”

Simini sat quietly, simply watching the now former Overlord to see what would happen. She also noted that the liontaur appeared to have no one to stand with him, but she did not wish to intrude further, so she remained silent and watchful. When Rakeesh crossed the wards, she was reassured that he was well and gave him a nod of respectful acknowledgement.

Wil’s fingertips moved slowly over Azjah’s back after he’d applauded both duelers for such an excellent display of skill. Azjah gave Wil a hug, then asked if they should depart. He stood and offered her his hand, which she took and rose gracefully from the sofa. She gave both the former and the current overlord a nod of respect before heading up the stairs and through the doors with Wil.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg

Return to “Palazzo Drachen Walde”