Twilight Isle Events

Transplanted Rigelian and her adventures in the Nexus world of RhyDin and
beyond.

Moderator: Azjah von Drachen Walde

Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Azjah von Drachen Walde »

Azjah nodded, “Yes, but that’s actually fairly cool as some stars go. Stars classified as O types burn from 30,000 to 60,000 degrees, but they are short lived as well.” She did not add that the coronal temperatures could hit well over a million degrees.

Something that hot simply was too much for Scarlet to fathom. She looked at Azjah who was the picture of calm, and then to Gabriel who was also serene. 'I will be as well.' The pirate thought to herself, and pushed the thoughts of burning to death away.

Outside the shields, the gas swirled and glowed, shots of ‘lightening’ ripped through the gas as they watched.

Scarlet steadied her shaking hands by gripping the arms of the seat.

“You are witnessing the birth of a star Scarlet.” Azjah watched the woman as she held tightly to the arms of the flight seat.

Scarlet smiled at Azjah, and nodded and commented, "It is unbelievable." The woman gripped the seats even harder.

"If you look there, in the center of the cloud you will see R136, it is a cluster of approximately 200 young stars." The cloud swirls and shimmers in shades of red and green and pinks against an ebony background. The glowing gases and dust are powered by the ultraviolet energy blazing from R136.

The fear eased slightly as Scarlet gazed upon the heavenly beauty, but the grip on the seat never loosened. "It is unbelievable..." The young woman from a different time and place whispered in awe.

Azjah peered through the windshield, "Can you see why it's called the Tarantula Nebula?"

Scarlet nodded, waiting for the explosion of fire she was promised. Memories faded in and out of her mind, causing her to smirk slightly. Recollections of her Grandmother teaching her magic, running away from her cozy cottage home and stealing money for the first time to buy food with.

The Star Dragon entered the glowing cloud, and the temperature indicators started to climb rapidly, outside, the dust around them hovered around 9000 degrees. “We cannot go much closer, but the fires are hot enough to ignite at any time.” Azjah kept a close eye on the readouts as they slowed.

Scarlet saw the scenery come to a slow halt, she looked at the fair Azjah and then back to Gabriel. He was not that bad on the eyes, but most vampires she had met where beautiful. "So how many times have ye witnessed this?" Looking at the pair politely, but still terrified. Floods of memories invaded her mind, without end. I guess this is what the phrase means, 'Having life flash before yer eyes' Scarlet thought to herself.

“That central star is actually a dying star. It has gone what is called ‘Super Nova’. It exploded recently, and what we are seeing is a burst of radiation. From here, it will fade and leave behind only a shock wave to tell us it was ever here.” Azjah’s expression seemed almost sad as she remained focused on the star. “This star will collapse in on itself, and given its size, it should form a black hole. The interesting part of all of this is that it is from such massive explosions that the heavier elements are formed. Without these super novae, we would not have much beyond hydrogen, helium and lithium. There would of course be traces of Beryllium, Boron, Carbon, Nitrogen, Oxygen, Fluorine and Neon, but none of the heavier elements could form without the nuclear furnaces exploding.” She turned then and glanced at Scarlet. “It’s interesting to note that a star explodes in a galaxy the size of the Milky Way about once every 50 years. “ She turned again to the stunning view before them, “Imagine how many of these had to occur to create all of the elements we find in Rhydin!” How many had she seen? Too many to count, and yet each time it was unique and spectacular.

((Three-colour image of the Tarantula Nebula in the Large Magellanic Cloud. The image is based on observations made on 10 February 2002 and 22 March 2003 with the FORS1 multi-mode instrument on ESO's Very Large Telescope in three different narrow-band filters (centred on 485 nm, 503 nm, and 657 nm), for a total exposure time slightly above 3 minutes only. The data were extracted from the ESO Science Archive and processed by Henri Boffin (ESO). Credit: ESO))
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Baroness von Drachen Walde
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Scarlet was trying her hardest to understand half of the words that Azjah said, but it was another language to the pirate. "Capital!" Was the only comment Scarlet could reply with.

Azjah glanced at her, “I’m speaking Greek, aren’t I?”

Coherent words awoke Scarlet from her daze and she looked at Azjah apologetically, "I just don't understand, and I am a little..." Scarlet coughed nervously, "concerned about the umm heat"

Azjah glanced at the temperature read outs, “Well, we’re inching up into the range where we need to hold back.” Amidst the numbers on the flat glass panel was one with a temperature sign behind it, and it read 4896.

"So when shall this happen?" Scarlet asked Azjah, relaxing her grip a bit. A memory of her turning a rock into a snail when she was four envaded her mind. Looking at Azjah she strained to not venture into her memories, but instead live in the here and now.

“Well, it’s happening as we watch, but if you mean the moment the nuclear furnace activates, it’s hard to predict with certainty.” A multicolored ‘lightening’ flare lit up the screen in front of them. “I would say any time now.”

Something was happening to the strange thing she had been brought to witness. A flash of light in a rainbow of colors made Scarlet jump, and almost squeal. Pressing her lips together to keep any embarrassing noises in, the beautiful pirate kept her eyes glued to the happenings outside of the star ship.

The whip of ‘lightening’ set off a chain reaction in the roiling cloud; setting off several more spectacular whips of colored brilliance. Gabriel’s hand rested on the engines, prepared to get the Dragon out of harm’s way if this was the event they’d come to check on.

Scarlet could only stare, and mentally cast protection spells over the three passengers.

As they stood and watched, the cloud abruptly collapsed into a brilliant miasma of fire and dust, falling rapidly in on itself, but the gravitational pull was instantaneous, and the Dragon lurched toward the flare of light.

The iron grip she had on the seat earlier was infant compared to the grasp she clutched the arms with now. Looking from Azjah to Gabriel, Scarlet was hoping this was normal.

“Witness the birth of a new star Scarlet, one that we should be able to see from RhyDin on a good clear night.” Azjah gave Gabriel a nod and the Dragon began a rearward retreat from the newly born star, whose chromosphere was rapidly heating beyond the Dragon’s ability to protect them.

Sensing something was wrong catching the slight nod Azjah gave the vampire, Scarlet's felt a burden. Back home she was the one giving orders and fixing the problems; back home she was the one who gave the slight nods to trusted crew in times of trouble. "Is there anything I can do to help?" Scarlet inquired, trying not to close her eyes against the brightness of the event.

Azjah checked solar screens and reinforced them against the brilliance of the event as Gabriel set in a course for return to RhyDin. After checking all of the sensor read outs, Azjah gave Scarlet a quick smile, “I tried not to get us cooked, but we were a little close to the fire.”

Pale and shaking Scarlet forced a smile and asked, "Are we safe now?"

Azjah nodded as she checked the temperatures again, “Yes, we tested the shields pretty thoroughly though.” Then she turned pale blue eyes on Scarlet, “So, what did you think?”

Sighing hard as she released the seats, she turned to Azjah and exclaimed, "It was the scariest event in my life! Beautiful but terrifying, and what do you mean testing?" The color returned to the woman's face and the shaking went internal.

"I need a drink." Scarlet said, laying her face into the palms of her hands, trying to calm her nerves.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Azjah gave her a very slight shrug, “The shields are not rated for the temperatures we saw at the end of the event. We’re good for re-entry at Star’s End, but I’ll need some repairs when we get back.” Azjah glanced at Gabriel, who rose then, stepping out of the path as she rose and motioned for Scarlet to follow, “Gabriel will see us back, so we may as well go have that drink you want.”

"There is a difference between a need and a want love." The pirate remarked nervously raising her left eyebrow. Scarlet somewhat smiled, shakily rose out of her seat and followed the tall blonde woman.

Azjah led her toward the replicator, “Well, might I suggest a Laguvulan Single Malt Whisky for those nerves?”

Recognizing only that is was whiskey was enough for Scarlet to accept the offer. "Thank ye lass." Scarlet said as she was handed the glass.

The replicator deposited a rocks glass that was one third filled with a deep, deep amber, nearly sienna colored liquid. “This originated on the Isle of Islay in Scotland. It is very smoky, but will bring you a relaxation difficult to find any other way.”

She took a long gulp of the drink, and looked for a place to sit.

Azjah requested the same and headed for one of the six black recliners, motioning for Scarlet to get comfortable, “Rattled your nerves a bit I see.”

Smiling now, she could feel the warmth of the drink spreading through her body. The warm feeling ended up in her eyes and the shaking ceased. "I wasn't scared." Scarlet chuckled, and sipped on more of the liquid. Then she quickly added, "I had given my soul to the gods, because I thought I was dead." The pirate witch raised her glass and smiled, I literally saw my life flash before me eyes.

Azjah’s brow lifted, “And what did you see in that life as it flashed before you?” Taking a sip of the very smoky, strongly peaty liquid, her attention focused on Scarlet.

"I saw me first spells, my family and past loves, and the other stuff is nothing for a lady like yerself to have to suffer to hear." Scarlet said still confused at the flood of memories she had experienced so suddenly.

Azjah pulled her legs up beneath her as she got comfortable, “May I ask what your childhood was like?” She sipped the scotch, “magic is so forbidden on Rigel, it’s rare I get to talk to a user like this.”

A look of comfort and serenity washed over Scarlet's face, as she began to describe her childhood home. "There was only me mom and her mother, Grand I would call her...she taught me all the magic. We lived in a cottage that was nestled amongst the trees of a forest."

Raising her eyebrow Scarlet looked at Azjah and said, "How do ye repress it? The urge to cast?"

Azjah gave her a smile, “Very easily. Magic only works for me when I’m on the Isle. And failure to suppress it for those who have the ability means execution. Which, for most people, is a pretty strong deterrent.”
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

"Sounds like the punishment for a thief." Scarlet commented and the playful look returned to her dark green eyes.

Finishing the drink Scarlet smirked and levitated the glass to a table. "I couldn't visit ye on yer home long before I'd be a dead woman."

Azjah gave her a wry smile, “And likely me for bringing you to Rigel.” She swirled the contents of her glass, “But you were telling me about yourself. Please continue.”

"It's not that interesting really...I was a little forest imp always running about with no shoes on and playing amongst the moss. The poor animals were terrified of me." Scarlet began to chuckle, recalling her wickedness.

"Then one day I realized I had explored every inch of that forest, and decided I was to leave and see the world." Scarlet looked down at her hands, and didn't speak for a second. 'I had never even seen a lad before! So one full moon I ventured out into the world on me own with only me magic and a leather sack of full of food and such."

Azjah was surprised that Scarlet had set out alone and so young, she simply could not imagine being alone in the world, "Weren't you frightened to be so alone in an unknown world?"

"Well yes, I was a little at first....but I relished being alone more." Scarlet replied looking at Azjah. "At home the only privacy you could obtain was running wild in the forest." She chuckled lightly.

She shook her head, “I confess, such a thing never occurred to me growing up, to simply pack my things and wander the world around me.”

Scarlet smiled and looked forward half lost in thought and said, "That was my plan since I was a child, to run away and have adventures."

“And have you had the kinds of adventures you had dreamed about?” Azjah sipped the scotch as she watched Scarlet drift back into old memories.

Scarlet's smile turned more into a devilish smirk as the daze looked vanish slowly. Replying with a playful tune, "Most I couldn't have imagined as a child, I was too innocent." With that Scarlet gave a soft laugh.

Azjah noted the smirk, “Would you change things now, if you could?”

"Of course not." The pirate replied quickly, looking around at the star ship's interior. If things had been even a slight bit altered, she might have missed this.

“So where have your adventures taken you?”

"Here lass, here." The blonde said softly with a melancholy smile. Scarlet's stomach began to rumble slightly, realizing the only food she had seen all day was that disgusting dwarf food. Ignoring the hunger she looked at Azjah's wedding ring and asked, "So how about you? How long have ye been married?"

Azjah heard Scarlet’s stomach grumble, and realized that she was getting hungry as well, which meant they would be shortly making the approach back to RhyDin. “I lived most of my life on Rigel, my parents were killed when their yacht exploded and I was 18 and preparing to head off to the University.” She rose then and headed for the replicator, “I’ve a mind to snack, would you care for something?” Regarding her marriage, she was hoping Scarlet would forget that part of her query.

"That is horrible..."Scarlet gasped and looked at the machine. Noticing that Azjah said nothing of her marriage, Scarlet assumed the worst about the vampire. Standing up Scarlet stood next to Azjah and asked, "Is he keeping you a prisoner?"

Azjah’s surprise was clearly written in features that usually remained quite composed, “Gabriel?” Then she laughed, “Oh! No, no no… Gabriel and his twin brother Lucien are my companions, and work as my body guards, well, not Lucien so much any more, but Gabriel has been with me for nearly a decade now.”

A jolt of shock coursed its way through Scarlet's body. Someone had a vampire willingly as a companion, and bodyguard! Obviously this particular species was different from the one she was accustomed to dealing with.

"I think I will take that snack, yes thank you." Scarlet replied to the question asked earlier, still lost in thought.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Azjah requested some almond biscotti and two cups of hot tea, which formed on a small silver platter, which she carried back to where the two had been sitting. “I rescued Gabriel and Lucien from a mob about to roast them in the light of day.”

Taking her seat, memories of past dealings with Vampires flashed through her mind. "Why?" Scarlet asked clearly confused.

A black velvet voice slithered along her skin, at the nape of her neck, ~Why were they about to roast us, or why did she bother rescuing the likes of us?~ Gabriel’s voice had an almost physical presence.

Azjah regarded Scarlet a moment, “Why did I rescue them?”

Once again the voice invaded her mind shivering she closed her eyes and concentrated. Looking into her own mind she sent images of being hunted through alleyways by a devil. The vampire had toyed with her like that for months, leaving blood drained bodies in her path and known haunts. Before one night showing himself to her, ready to end her. In an instant she sent a bale fire spell his way ending the monster forever.

Scarlet looked up at Azjah, her cheeks red. "I am sorry, you must understand I have had only horror dealing with that kind."

Azjah lifted a pale brow as she gently blew on the hot tea, “Let me ask you a question if I might. How many Carpathians have you dealt with?” She added a touch of emphasis on the word Carpathian.

Gabriel’s hiss was audible to both women at that point.

Scarlet looked at the tea and lifted it up slowly, blowing on it carefully since it was quite full and began to take a sip, when an unexpected hiss startled her. Hot tea spilled in to her lap causing her to curse quite colorfully, and looking up at Azjah with brows narrowed she replied, "Never even heard of them."

Azjah quickly set down her tea and retrieved a towel for Scarlet, “Are you burned?” The echo of the hiss slithered across the room as Azjah sat down again. “I am not surprised that you have not heard of them. You believe him to be Vampyre, do you not?”

Embarrassed that she had made a mess, Scarlet wiped the steaming tea off her lap, and answered Azjah's question with a forced calm, "I believe it so yes, and he seems to be a bit irritating as well." Looking down at the steaming hot towel, Scarlet recovered from her rage, and then she smiled and looked at the pale beauty as she answered the next question, "I am not burned, the leather was a handy barrier from the tea."

Scarlet looked towards the cockpit, and with effort sent a mental inquiry, 'Why the hiss?'

Azjah glanced at the cockpit but continued despite Gabriel's objection, "He is no more vampyre than you or I are Scarlet. But, the vampyre is born of Carpathian's who give up their soul and kill in the process of feeding. Such an act turns the Carpathian into what you rightfully fear." She sipped the tea as a tirade emanated from the cockpit.

"You should know, Gabriel has not crossed that thresh hold." She let Scarlet’s observation that Gabriel was irritating go for the time being.

This was astonishing information to Scarlet, and there were more questions that she needed to ask. "I have heard that they can turn their victims into vampires, or is that the souless ones as well?" The pirate asked still trying to understand.

That black velvet whisper slithered along her jawline, ~both, I am your worst nightmare.~

Azjah was not aware of Gabriel’s whispers to Scarlet, “Both can change people, but for the Carpathian, only telepathic females are capable of being converted into their life.”

Scarlet laughed nervously, and picked up the almond snack. Tilting her head she took a nibble and ignored the goose bumps, and Gabriel's taunt.

"So how about food, can they eat... say one of these? Or are the confined to only blood?" Scarlet asked holding the treat up after she had swallowed the bite.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

The lightest sensation of touch trailed along the column of her throat, and the brush of whisper in her ear, ~Nothing sweeter than the blood of a woman, why would we contaminate it with dead animals?~

Azjah set down the small plate, “They can ingest it, but they cannot keep it. In circumstances of dire need, to ‘pass’ as humanoid, they can, but only the older ones. Their systems are designed to function on the living blood,”

Scarlet nodded at Azjah and looked down at her food, feeling slight invisible touches. Concentrating hard and gazing without blinking at the treat she sent Gabriel another mental message, 'It would displease you to know that I am not afraid of you anymore, knowing what I know now.' Sighing as she came out of the trance, the pirate rubbed her neck.

Azjan noted her short lapse, and the rubbing of her neck, suspecting something going on between Gabriel and Scarlet. “Actually, the Carpathian is stronger before his change, but the powers they command after the change to Vampyre are more vile. But most people don’t recognize the difference. To most people, a blood drinker is a vampire, and they never look beyond that.”

~I feel no pleasure, nor displeasure. Those are emotions.~ Came the caressed reply. ~And you are a fool to no longer fear.~

Scarlet looked at Azjah with a solemn face, "I never knew any of this..." The witch pirate looked at her hands and thought for a minute on all of this.

The voice from the vampire in the cockpit still echoed in her mind as she sent him another wave of mental words, 'I fear no man.'

“Most people don’t know it, and even fewer bother to try.” Azjah shook her head at humanity’s behaviors.

~Then you are more the fool~ came the black whisper. ~Do you fear the giant squid of the deep? Or the cougar of the mountain pass, or perhaps the dire wolf of the forest?~

Scarlet rose up and refilled her tea, and looked at Azjah sadly and smiled, as she thought on Gabriel's question briefly, ~Ye can respect something dangerous and know it can hurt you, without the terror.~

Focusing on Azjah again she commented, "Well feel better to know that you have informed at least one with understanding. Some places back home...well most places back home would burn me for what I am." Scarlet chuckled, thinking about her mother and grandmother living alone in a forest exile.

Azjah rose and set the plate and tea cup onto the counter, where they simply vanished from view beneath a flash of light. “Humanity is notoriously closed minded.”

~Delusions do not change the outcome,~ The image of the Kracken devouring her ship echoed in her mind and then there was absolute darkness, blackness of oblivion where once the sentience had been.
Mimicking Azjah, Scarlet too laid her empty plate and cup on the counter. Another flash of light and the object was gone, "Amazing how this work without magic." She muttered before looking up up at Azjah, and smiling quite large, "Some witches deserve the stake, and some pirates deserve the noose." The witch pirate said with a wink.

Her thoughts however were quite serious however. ~We all die~
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Silence met her thoughts. The kind of silence of a tomb, or the bottom of the sea. Oppressive nothingness.

“I think that’s true of all people and places.” Azjah glanced at the cockpit, “I believe we should be approaching re-entry.”

"Yes it is." Scarlet said softly and stood up, making her way to the seat that she had finally figured out how to buckle.

Azjah strapped in and shot Gabriel a look, the man was positively dangerous right now judging from his expression. It would wait and she focused on the glass panel before her, “the last time we did this, we were met by the RASG, let’s see if today is any different.”

Scarlet was meditating on the trip, and how things had not gone according to her original plan. The intentions in the beginning were to get her hand in the space trade, now her thoughts kept drifting somewhere else, somewhere decent. She had not even taken the risk to take over the horny old dwarf's ship, which seeing how they took those spells so easily could have been no problem. Hell she could have had his mind completely controlled making him think that she was the master and him the slave, a mere puppet. The thought of a little crew of mindless bees brought an amused smirk to her face, it would have only taken a simple spell. Why did she have to go and get soft? Looking at the cockpit, she thought of Azjah. The respect for this woman kept her from doing what she had wanted to do, enabled her to have a spaceship of her own. Sighing Scarlet thought of the squid, and her ship sinking.

~there are many deaths~

Slightly startled out of her imaginings of sinking ships and wolves by his voice, Scarlet looked at him sitting in the cockpit. The back of his raven head was all she saw as she thought, ~Yes there are~

She rethought her whole take over of the dwarf ship over again and realized she couldn't have done it anyway, due to that bodyguard. That is if Gabriel was a powerful as he thought he was.

~I do not think, I know.~ He never turned those soulless black eyes upon her, yet he was a presence she could almost reach out and touch.

Azjah’s voice spoke into the comm., “Star’s End, this is Star Dragon requesting landing authorization.” The landing cycle had begun. They would enter the ionosphere and then the atmosphere in a ball of fire within moments.

Scarlet let out an unexpected chuckle, but silenced it quickly as she realized this adventure was about to end.
~I will take yer world for it~

Moments later, flames erupted around the Star Dragon as they plummeted through the atmosphere. When the flames died down, the comm. link crackled with a heading, and Azjah turned it over to Gabriel. She headed back to where Scarlet was reclined, “Well, we will land in moments. I hope it was everything you had thought it might be.” She gave Scarlet a smile as she grabbed the back of one of the chairs before the ‘bump’ reverberated through the hull of the ship. “We’re home.”

Smiling slightly Scarlet answered, "It was wonderful, and ended much too soon."
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Arch Mage Challenge

Azjah settled onto her chaise and prepared for the challenge match to begin. She took her usual glass of scotch from the goblin and sipped it.

Lydia and Soerl’s arrival wearing the black tee shirts cheering for Bran gave her a bit of a chuckle, and Lydia waved toward Azjah before peering at Soerl, “Should we cheer for him, or do you think it would distract him?”

Azjah returned the wave, and when next she caught Lydia’s attention, crooked a finger at her and grinned.

Soerl settled onto a chair and waved at the caller before offering, “Cheering is probably a bad idea.”

She nodded and then wandered to Azjah’s chaise, waving to Shandren along the way.

Azjah gave Lydia a conspiratorial smile, “thanks for coming over for a second,” she didn’t intend to keep her away from Soerl’s side long, but the other evening she knew Lydia had heard her cryptic remarks, and the moment seemed right to share the reason for them.

Rena arrived and Azjah waved to her before glancing up at Lydia with a grin, but she kept her voice barely a whisper, which drew Lydia down closer to be able to hear her. She told Lydia that she had returned from Rigel engaged to be married, but so far, too many things had been happening for she and Wil to make a public announcement, but that instead they would tell people as time and situation allowed.

Lydia blinked a couple of times before grinning and asking if she could talk openly about it, or did Azjah prefer to keep it fairly quiet for now. Azjah smiled and asked her to keep it low key for the time being, saying then, “Sooner or later the time will be right.”

Lydia gave her congratulations, which brought another smile to Azjah’s features as she thanked her. Lydia wondered then if Azjah and Wil might make the formal announcement at the Harvest Festival, but Azjah said she doubted it. Too large a venue, and there would be too many people there who they didn’t know and who simply would not care. No, this announcement was more suited to friends and colleagues.

The first match had ended as Vincent came from behind and secured the first round win against Bran. Azjah asked if either man required a breather, and neither one did, so she bade them commence with the second round of the challenge.

Lydia chuckled, “hmm, alright, that may be the best way then.” She glanced at the rings, then quietly asked Azjah, “Who do you think will take it?”

Azjah’s arctic azure gaze slid toward Lydia a moment, and then back to the ring, “Well, Bran’s good…. But Vincent’s got the experience factor.” She had deliberately worded it that way to mimic Bran’s comment about her own challenge several days earlier. Then she smiled, “Besides, I plan to have lizard hide on my wall, remember?” She winked at Lydia with a grin. Given Bran’s backing Soerl, she’d promised him that his hide would hang above her mantle piece at the Palazzo.

Vincent had heard her comment, and quipped from his ring, “A few more rounds like that, and I’ll have him skinned for you.” His smirk was one of great confidence. Azjah shot him a grin, “Can I hold you to that?”

Lydia nodded thoughtfully, “I suppose he does.” She snorted slightly at the lizard hide comment, as she’d been there for the initial exchange between Azjah and Bran. Her head was tilted slightly as she watched the ring, still clearly hoping for Bran to claim the win.

Azjah smiled, “I’d say it’s up for grabs.”

Vincent had treated Bran like a baked potato in the second round, and added for Azjah, “I’ll try. He may be a little singed around the edges though.”

Lydia glanced Azjah’s way, “Seems like it’s really hard to become Archmage. Having to beat out so many in a tournament, then having to beat the current Archmage, it’d be a shame if Bran lost, after having fought so well during the tournament.” Azjah nodded her agreement, it was indeed a rough road with no doubts.

Soerl glanced around the beach, lifted a brow and looked again, “Why isn’t Bran’s girlfriend here, anyway?” He wasn’t directing the query at anyone in particular, but he seemed genuinely puzzled about her absence.

Lydia bit at her lip a little as she watched the ring, “I believe it. Small goals are probably best, at first. In this sport I mean.” She peered aside at Soerl, but didn’t say a word.

Azjah glanced up at her, Rigelian empathy picking up on her current reaction to his question. Her tenseness was magnified given the fact that it was a reasonable question, and shouldn’t have caused Lydia stress, but it had, and rather abruptly. Azjah blinked at Soerl then, “Bran has a girl friend?” She couldn’t recall ever seeing Bran with a female let alone a regular one.

Lydia mumbled something or another under her breath as Soerl nodded at Azjah, “Some lizardess who wears a large cloak.”

Azjah glanced at Lydia as her empathy picked up again on Lydia’s heightened stress.

Lydia tried to look all innocent as Azjah glanced at her, but resorted instead to looking away and turning slightly, looking very much like someone caught with guilty hands in a plot or scheme of some sort. Azjah quirked a pale brow at the elven woman, very softly asking, “Ah, you know Bran’s new girl friend in the cloak?”

Lydia froze instantly before being able to slowly turn back toward Azjah, but her response was entirely too quick and guilty sounding, “No, I’ve never met her. She sounds very nice though.” Emphatic nodding accompanied the too rapid words.

Azjah blinked at the rapid fire response and then chuckled, clearly Lydia knew more and was reluctant to explain herself. Azjah smiled innocently, “Who told you about her? Where is she?” Azjah glanced at Bran and then back at Lydia.

Lydia continued her excessive nodding, “I don’t know where she is, and, ah, Soerl did. She was there to watch the challenge, and was nice and offered him a bottle of water afterward.” Lydia fidgeted a little at that point.

Azjah nodded thoughtfully, “Ah; that explains why I did not see her.”

Lydia lamented then as Vincent struck Bran yet again, “I am such a jinx.”

Azjah slid a pale glance at Lydia before lowering her voice for only Lydia to hear, “Is there something wrong?” Her reactions had been entirely out of proportion, and Azjah knew something was at the root of such extreme emotional reactions.

Lydia glanced up distractedly, “Hmm? Nothing.” Then she realized that was not what Azjah had asked, so she just grinned a little too much, “Not at all.” But she was still very nervous about all the questions being asked about Bran’s girl friend.

Azjah gave Lydia one of those ‘yeah, right’ looks as she congratulated Bran and Vincent as the second match came to an end.

Lydia congratulated both duelers before catching Azjah’s look, then she sighed and leaned closer, and the whispering commenced as she explained her dilemma in some detail. At the end, she sighed, feeling that it was such a ridiculous story in her eyes.

Azjah gave a soft, understanding chuckle, “Ah, I see.”

Bran came toward them, “Thanksss for your sssupport, and…” his eyes slid toward Soerl and he caught sight for the first time of the sparkly lettering, “Whoa!”

Soerl shot him a glare, “Don’t say a word!”

Lydia grinned a bit at Azjah before lifting pale blue eyes toward Bran, she just felt awkward about the shirts now, “Hey Bran? You’re not in a hurry to get anywhere right now, are you?”

He wasn’t and Lydia had wanted to talk to him about her pet, and she excused herself and picked up her assorted papers from the table and pulled Bran along with her. “well, you were telling me abou the various gnoll tribes, south of the city and near some marshes, right?” She unrolled some of the papers to lay out before him.

Rena rose and nodded at Azjah as she made her way out the door with her mug in her hand and Azjah waved, “Night Rena!” then she handed a passing goblin the nearly empty scotch glass before getting off the chaise and making her way toward the portal with a farewell wave to those who remained.

Lydia and Bran were deeply engrossed in discussion about gnolls when she stepped through the portal.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

A short time later, Azjah made her way back onto the Isle. She’d agreed to call Xeric’s challenge to Liena, and now that she’d had some dinner, she was ready to get the second match series underway. Lydia was still on the Isle with Bran when she padded across the warm sand to settle comfortably onto her chaise and sent a goblin for another glass of scotch. She glanced at Lydia, “so, have you learned anything valuable then about your….. creature?”

She was gathering up the maps and papers before glancing Azjah’s direction, “My creature? You mean Luthe?”

Azjah nodded, the thing that had bounded toward her the other night was apparently called Luthe. “yes, that one.”

About then, Xeric stepped through the portal and Liena came bubbling from her Tower, “I’m late, late, late!”

Lydia gave Azjah a sad nod, ‘I learned I probably shouldn’t keep him.” She smiled sadly, “So I’ll probably be giving him to someone better equipped to raise him.” There was sincere sadness in her voice, but also an understanding that Luthe’s needs were apparently not something she could provide for him.

Azjah chuckled when she heard Liena, then nodded at Lydia, “Well, at least you learned early on.”

When Xeric and Liena made it to the rings, Azjah nodded, “Alright, the principles are here. Are there any honorifics either of you would like to announce before we begin?”

Liena wiggled her fingers at Lydia as she pondered what to say, “Ummm, hmm, Thanks for my first challenge Xeric?” Then she considered what her advanced spell would be and chose ghost form.

Azjah chuckled, “So noted Liena.”

Xeric announced that he dueled under the red, blue and green colors of the House of Muse, and that he stood with no second, and no lady of honor.”

The match began, and about the sixth round, Azjah tried to warn Lydia about the six wild blades flying around, admonishing her to DUCK! She peered up just in time to see them coming and tipped over her chair to avoid being struck by an errant blade. She landed haphazardly on the ground as Liena waved from the ring, “Sorry Lydia!!”

Lydia picked herself up with a sigh and righted her chair once more, “And Soerl said the wards kept magic in the ring.” She shook her head and then absently touched the emerald on her new pendant, which made the gem glow faintly.

Soerl appeared abruptly in a burst of air near the tables and looked around, surprised to find another challenge match in progress, then he made his way toward Lydia, who was busy watching the match and did not see him coming toward her. He reached up to adjust his hat before closing the distance to the elf’s table and taking a seat next to her, and for all the world, there appeared to be a question he wanted to ask, but he didn’t, he simply looked her over instead.

Lydia’s pale blue eyes shifted toward him abruptly before she smiled, “glad you could make it.” Then there was a glint of something in her eye as she nodded at him, “Your sword will be there later.”

He gave her a puzzled look, “Be where?” He lifted a golden brow at her, then glanced at the ring. She leaned to whisper, but her gaze did not stray from the rings. Soerl’s cheeks reddened as he turned around to look at her, and clearly decided it was time for a subject change. “Ah, Are you all right? I sensed something,” he didn’t think it needed an explanation, Lydia was obviously distressed about having to give up Luthe.

Lydia turned toward Soerl, all amusement fading from her features, “I am… I just….” She glanced at the folded maps on the table with a sigh, “Bran’s taking me somewhere tomorrow. To a friend of his, a gnoll priest. Will you come with us?” He glanced at the maps and documents before telling her if that was what she wished, he would join them. He didn’t ask why, but she explained anyway, “His friend… would be better able to raise Luthe than me.” Her words were quietly spoken and laced with the sorrow she felt. Soerl tried in his way to comfort her by lifting an arm and trying to settle it around Lydia’s shoulders.

Azjah left the pair alone and was focused on her rings as she took a sip of her scotch, wishing for all the world that Wil might stop by.

As though her wishes had conjured him, Wil stepped through the portal and strolled slowly up the path and smiled when he spotted Azjah near the rings in her favorite chaise. Azjah caught sight of him and hopped off her chaise, “Darlin’!” She greeted him with a bright smile as he took her into his arms for a kiss, “Hey babe, lookin’ good.” He gave her a teasing wink in the process.

Azjah melted into his arms with a smile, “I’m glad you could make it.” She returned the kiss before taking his hand and heading back toward her chaise and the best view of the rings.

He moved with her toward the chaise, “yeah, I’m glad I could too, wasn’t too sure for a while.”

Azjah waited for him to settle onto the chaise before curling up beside him, “So I get a few minutes with you.” She winked playfully at him as his arms enfolded her once she leaned back against his chest on the chaise. She glanced toward Soerl and Lydia, then up at Wil, “Do you know Lydia and Soerl?”

He nodded slightly, “Yes, love, I do, although not well.”
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Soerl glanced around, “I swore I heard my name….”

Azjah nodded up at Wil, “It’s a small group, thought I should make certain.” She smiled and took a sip of the scotch before offering him the glass and winking at Soerl, “You did Minstrel.”

Wil took the glass from her with a wink and sipped the Dalwhinnie. Azjah gave him a quicksilver smile, “Shall I send the goblins for some pears?” She’d discovered that he enjoyed sliced pears with crumbles of bleu cheese over them as much as she did, and he looked hungry to her. He’d grinned and said the pears would be excellent, so she sent the goblins to retrieve one of her favorite treats.

Lydia too had heard her name, and since there were not many people present, she turned and looked at Azjah, spotting Wil in the process. She waved and after a moment pulled away from Soerl to stand.

Soerl shot Azjah a grin as he let Lydia stand up, “Oh. Was it in relation to something bad, like usual?”

Azjah grinned back, “If it concerns you Soerl, of course it’s bad.” Then she smiled at Lydia as she approached. “Good evening Wil.” She leaned closer to speak quietly with Wil, who returned her smile and said good evening to her.

Soerl chuckled, “Good to know my reputation is still intact.” Then he stood and followed Lydia. He peered over at the ring for a moment as he neared the chaise.

Wil listened to Lydia’s softly spoken words, and responded in the same quiet tones.

Azjah gave Soerl a soft laugh, “We wouldn’t want your reputation ruined Soerl.” Then she addressed Liena and Xeric, “So, would either of you like a break?” They had finished the second match and it was tied up 1 each.

Soerl turned back toward Azjah with a quick grin, “No, no, that would definitely be a bad thing, Azjah.”

Lydia was nodding at Wil’s words and she leaned back while absently adjusting her “BRAN FOR ARCHMAGE” t-shirt that matched Soerl’s. “I think he does that all by himself,” she said to Azjah before peering at the active ring.

Azjah chuckled and gave Soerl a grin, “Probably true Lydia.” Then she instructed the duelers to begin the third and final match. “Alright, begin casting when ready and good luck to you both.”

Azjah’s pale gaze slid up toward Wil as she retrieved her glass of scotch from Wil’s hands before sending the goblins for pear slices with bleu cheese crumbles, “I’m hungry” she informed him with a smile. She was hungry, but pears were not going to feed the hunger she felt looking into Wil’s eyes.

Soerl eyed Lydia a moment, then slid his attention back toward Azjah, “trouble finds me, not the other way around.”

Wil looked at Azjah and gave her that bad boy grin as he releases the scotch to her. She kissed the corner of Wil’s mouth at that grin that melted her, then she chuckled at Soerl, “Why is it that I doubt that?”

Soerl would have chuckled, but he was busily eying Lydia again, “I don’t know Azjah, I’m hurt that you would doubt me.”

Lydia pulled the paper umbrella out from behind her pointed ear, reaching over to try to tuck it behind Soerl’s. She glanced at Wil, “Do you participate in this sport Wil?” She gestured toward the various empty rings around the Isle, “or any of them?” She smiled pleasantly as she tilted her head curiously.

Azjah flashes Soerl a smile, “Well Minstrel, the point was for me to hurt you the other night, not tonight.” She sipped the scotch with an impish smile as the goblins brought the pears and cheese.

Wil glanced at Lydia, “Many years ago I used to descend into the dueling arena and duel, and actually quite well. But now I prefer to watch and leave the duels to others.”

Lydia would have liked to ask more, but they were not well enough acquainted, so she refrained, opting instead to say, “Really? Which duels did you excel at the most?”

Azjah offered Wil the scotch glass and motioned to an adjacent chaise asking Lydia if she’d care to join them. Then she winked at Lydia, “He’s coy, he’s good at all of them.” She knew a little about Wil’s training, and his skills.

Wil took the scotch and looked at Lydia with a smile, “I actually fought with a blade. Magic and fists were quite new at that time.” He had given away just how long it had been since he’d been inside a ring to duel.

Soerl grimaced a bit, “Well, you did manage to do that a bit. I don’t think I’ll be quite as fortunate next time we meet.” He chuckled and took the paper umbrella away from his ear and tried to discreetly drop it in to Lydia’s pocket.

Lydia ws oblivious to Mr. Pickpocket, and she was unaware of the umbrella being dropped into her pocket, “Alright, thankyou.” She nodded at Azjah as she took a seat on the chaise and was poked by the umbrella, “Ow! What the F--?” She cut herself off and pulled the umbrella from her pocket, having just sat on the sharp part, “How?” She blinked and shook her head, then looked back at Wil, “So Swords? I’m bad at swords myself. That’s probably my worst sport.” She shot Soerl a dirty look and made certain that she took up all the space on the chaise.

Azjah glanced at Liena while they waited for Xeric’s return, “Liena? Have you met my fiancé?” It was the first time she’d said the word out loud in public, and her stomach filled with butterflies. Wil didn’t seem to catch her words, but Lydia did and she flashed Azjah a small smile.

LIena hadn’t met Wil, and Azjah promised to introduce them after the final match concluded. Wil smiled at Liena and looked forward to meeting her later.

Wil was saying that the only magic he had was how fast he could make drinks disappear, which elicited a merry laugh from Azjah. Soerl grinned, “That’s a good spell to know Wil,” then he proceeded to sit down on top of Lydia’s legs as she told Wil that Soerl had a similar talent when it came to food.

Wil laughed hearing Soerl, “It was the first I learned and I’ve put it to good use.”

Soerl chuckled and grinned at Lydia as he spoke, “You’re likely better at it than me. Every time I try it I end up waking up in a forest or something.” His grin at Lydia was overly nice as he thanked her for making room for him on the chaise.

Azjah reached for Wil’s ribs to tickle, “that doesn’t take magic.” She gave him a grin and offered him the shared glass of scotch.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Lydia gave Soerl an overly nice smile, “Not a problem at all, sweetie.” Azjah’s gaze slid toward Lydia and she couldn’t help but laugh softly, suspecting there was trouble afoot.

Wil laughed as Azjah’s fingers tickled at his ribs, “That’s not magic? Well, then I suppose I have no spells at all, except an occasional fainting one.”

Azjah quirked a brow at him, “No, sorry, that doesn’t qualify.” She knew better than his fainting, but she wondered if she could take him close. She offered him a nibble of the pears and cheese, which he took and lazily placed some of it in his mouth. Azjah watched him a moment until Soerl’s voice broke the moment.

“So when did you two become betrothed?” Soerl’s gaze moved between Wil and Azjah as he asked.

Azjah gave him a smile, “On Rigel.” She sipped the scotch before adding, “Haven’t made it too public just yet, there’s been so much going on around RhyDin.”

Almost simultaneously Wil turned to Soerl, “It was on Rigel a few weeks ago.” His smile suggested that he was remembering the time fondly.

Soerl nodded, “I can empathize with that, always seems to be something going on.” He shook a thought away and smiled at the pair before him, “Well, let me congratulate you both then.”

Azjah thanked him before flashing Wil a radiant smile as he thanked Soerl, adding that he felt himself to be a very lucky man.

Lydia turned back to them and asked, “Do you two already have a date in mind, or are you not too worried about that yet?”

Azjah blushed slightly at Lydia’s question. “Well, we haven’t set a date, but I’m tempted to let him choose since he rescued me from a horrible fate.” She gave Wil a quicksilver smile, knowing he would understand only too well. His look said he did, and then spoke softly, “We should decide that soon.”

Soerl’s curiosity was peaked, “Horrible fate? Of what sort?” That elicited Lydia making a face at Soerl.

Azjah took a deep breath, she wasn’t prepared to discuss the politics of her world, and how she’d nearly been used as a reward whether she wanted it or not. Wil remained silent, choosing to allow her to decide how much to say. Azjah’s pale blue eyes landed on Soerl at length, “The politics of my world are, different Soerl.” She took a quick sip of the scotch and hoped Soerl would not push. She caught Wil’s slight nod of agreement, and in fact, he probably felt it was rather an understatement.

“Different” Soerl repeated, but he’d seen the initial reaction to his question and he simply nodded, deciding not to probe any further. “I see.”

Azjah regrouped, “But, rescued I was.” She gave him a quick smile. She’d been rescued, and Wil had been endangered. Wil smirked slightly before covering it with the glass of scotch, but Azjah’d caught it.

Soerl smiled, “I think everyone could use being rescued once in a while. Even me.” His emerald eyes glanced at Lydia briefly then back to Azjah and Wil. “That’s good to hear, then. I’ll have to find you two a suitable gift.”

Azjah smiled, “Yes, we all need a rescue now and then.” She only hoped she could rescue Wil.

LIena claimed the third match and successfully defended her tower. They wrapped up the formalities of the challenge, and Wil’s arms tightened around Azjah. Azjah melted against Wil, she was ready to go home, but had promised to introduce Liena. The thirteen year old was walking on a cloud. She’d met her first challenge and kept hold of her tower.

Soerl and Lydia retreated into their own discussion, and Wil and Azjah bade them all a good evening.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Azjah walked through the door to the Arena. She hadn’t intended to stay long, but was curious to see who was about, and as she stood on the landing, she spotted Simini approaching the one called Drey. He was a very unpleasant fellow, and she was somewhat surprised to see the woman approaching him.

Simini’s face remained calm and composed as she assumed a non-threatening demeanor, speaking very quietly to him when she was close enough that only he could hear her. Azjah moved down the stairs, and could read Simini’s lips for the moment, “Drey… do you remember me?”

Azjah found herself an empty table and continued to watch the exchange until Taneth waved. She smiled and returned the wave before Wyheree gave her a merry wave. “Good evening Wyheree.” Tormay was entering a ring, and she waved and wished him luck as she sought out either Hubie or Marcus.

It was then that she heard Drey bellowing, “Rum! And lots of it!” He slapped an open hand to the counter to stress the apparently “dire’ need he had for liquor. The Cimmerian quickly composed himself and turned toward Simini, but his voice was in no way quiet as she gave her a smile that would have cracked most stone sculptures. “ah, yes, of course.”

Simini tilted her head, not at all certain that he really did remember her, or if she was placing herself in danger’s path by speaking to him. But for reasons known only to her, she pressed on. “Good. Because I remember you.”

Drey’s snide retort cut short any relief Simini might have felt, “You’re the pee-wee tournament winner. Champion of Munchkins.” He punctuated his cutting remarks with a couple of quick consecutive nods. “Congratulations.” Then his tone became dripping with sarcasm, “Now, if you will excuse me.”

Simini canted her head, “Yes, I won the tournament last week, but do you remember me from… before?”

Drey had already turned his back on her as his glass was slid across the bar toward him, “Don’t you just love that sound? The sound of service.” He sounded rather sincere, and despite having his back to her, he was clearly speaking to Simini.

Azjah’s attention shifted to Wyheree’s ring as she entered it to face Soerl in a swords match. “Kick his butt Wyheree” Azjah added to her friend as she walked past.

She grinned at Azjah, but then her focus shifted to Soerl as the match began.

Soerl had saluted Wyheree and Corlanthis before glancing at Azjah with a little grin as he’d very clearly heard her cheer for Wyheree. Azjah gave the man who held ‘her’ Tower a wink.

Meanwhile, Simini frowned faintly, uncertain whether she was being spoken to, or not. It was becoming clear to her that Drey’s mind was apparently broken. She moved to stand next to Drey, not close enough to touch, but close enough to talk as he withdrew a handful of coins from the confines of his ebony cloak, drizzling them with a feral sneer over the counter as the metal pit-pattered like heavy rainfall from his hand. “Get to the point,” he told her curtly as his ghostly eyes snapped back in Simini’s direction.

Simini’s face bespoke only compassion for an old friend as she stood there tolerating his verbal abuse. Then she lifted her chin, “You have no idea who I am, do you?”

He snickered as he observed her, “What, temporary Overlord is also a shrink? Time to turn this liiiiiife arooooooound.”

She laughed, “Shows what you know.” Then, as though trying to get a rise out of him, she added, “Not too smart, are you?”

Drey’s tone was increasingly harsh as he spoke, “I know you’re some self righteous, self proclaimed here, confused about her place in society because your mind is so overwhelmed with the delusions of grandeur, of honor, of nothing, of void.”

She laughed, because anyone who knew Simini knew that his charges were the furthest thing from truth there could possibly be.

Drey continued, “You remind me of a woman so pent up with the idea of success that when you plummet you can’t even notice it with your blinding pride.” His head tilted as he eyed her up in a most unsavory fashion.

Simini sighed slightly, as though wondering why she was even bothering with this, but then she tried again, “Drey, I know we have not always gotten along, but…do you have any friends, at all?”

Drey spoke flatly, “I’m just merely describing how you’re just like all the rest. I can’t tell any of you honor code, prima-donnas apart anymore. All your faces, your personalities blend into one. So you want to ask me if I remember you? You’re not even worth remembering.”

Lydia wrapped up her duel and exited the ring just as Soerl parried one of Wyheree’s offensive cuts. Azjah booed him playfully as he glanced at her, “What? You expect me to lose to her without trying??”

Azjah gave him a radiant smile, “I simply expect you to lose to her.”
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Lydia peered about and saw Azjah sitting by herself and giving Soerl a hard time, so she made her way toward her. She grinned as she said good evening, and Azjah smiled, “Good evening Lydia, how are you tonight?” Then seeing Soerl get hit by Wyheree, she added, “Hit him again Wyheree!”

“I’m doing pretty good,” she said before motioned to an empty seat, “Mind if I join you?

Azjah flashed a smile at the elven woman, “Please do. You’ll forgive me for cheering Wyheree on over Soerl?”

She nodded her appreciation as she took a seat, positioning it so she could watch Azjah and the duels before saying, “Oh, that’s fine.” She waved dismissively, “He needs to lose every now and then, so his ego doesn’t get too big.”

Azjah chuckled softly before asking if she would like anything to drink after her duel.

She nodded, “Sure, thank you.” Then added that it didn’t matter what, “I’m feeling adventurous tonight.” And unspoken was that she didn’t want her usual water tonight. So she’d left it up to Azjah to decide.

Azjah motioned for Hubie, glanced at Lydia before ordering a glass of Chambord for her. The sweet, blackberry liqueur should be a fine sipping drink for them as they watched the duels.

Lydia kept a pleasant, happy smile on her features, but Azjah could tell that she had no idea what had just been ordered for her, but then she brightened considerably, “Oh, I should probably tell you….” Her voice trailed off as Azjah glanced again at her. But showing takes so much less time, and Lydia held up her left hand for Azjah to see. There on her left ring finger was a simple platinum band with a small diamond mounted in the setting. She was fairly bubbling with joy as Azjah reached out to gently lift her hand for a better look.

“How lovely!” Azjah smiled happily at Lydia, “Are you announcing a date yet?”

Across the room, Simini was making herself comfortable as she glanced at Drey, “I wonder where you get that opinion. You know nothing about my honor code, or whether I even have one.”

Drey’s feet criss-crossed at the ankles where he stood as his tongue licked over his teeth, “There you go. Disillusioned by this human ideal that friendship is some necessity in life. It sickens me how brain washed you all can be.”

She leaned against the bar now as her braid smashed against the mahogany edge, “Did I say it was a necessity? You are not listening, or are not smart. Which is it?”

Drey spoke tartly before his jaw locked, “You asked me if I had friends, and I more or less answered that I don’t need them.” To which she simply gave him a bored yawn, waiting to see what else he might add. At length, he did speak, “Or are your comprehension skills like that of the current Overlord? Seems only fitting, Temporary.” He gave a sudden flash of a grin as though he’d just settled on a new knickname for Simini.

Simini eyed him up and down, fully aware that the current Overlord was nearby, “A shame really. The Drey Starke I used to know was a jerk, but at least he was intelligent.”

Xeric flashed Simini a grin, “Oh, excuse me Simini, I’m only trying to get fe…. Er bottle.” As he moved closer to where she leaned against the bar. She gave him a smile and silently encouraged him to remain close by.

Drey guffawed, “You never knew me.” Then abruptly he stopped. He contained himself through shakes and quivers as he spoke, “Sorry to disappoint you, sweet pea. Anything else I can help you with, or are you going to be a putrid hog for the rest of the evening?”

Soerl had taken the lead in his match with Wyheree and Azjah shot him a glower as she released Lydia’s hand. The elven woman hadn’t resisted when Azjah had taken her hand, and offered a bright smile as her drink arrived. She sipped it a moment before blinking at Azjah, “Date?” She truly seemed quite clueless.

Azjah nodded, “Yes, a date for the wedding? It is a lovely ring, and I am very happy for you both.”

“Oh! Right!” Her eyes seemed to glaze over a moment in thought before she continued, “We’re not actually having a wedding. It’s not either one of our styles. Likely a small ceremony, and I just assumed he was taking care of all that. Is that how it works, or not?” She canted her head slightly, “He’s the one who proposed.” Then she smiled, “And thank you, that means a lot to hear.”

Azjah chuckled softly and wondered what the cultural differences were in the Elven world that Lydia was leaving everything up to Soerl, then she added, “If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.” She chuckled, “Well, perhaps in some cultures it is up to the man.” She hadn’t heard of many, but then again, she really did not know a lot about the elves.

She looked a trifle embarrassed as she said softly, “I’m really clueless about the whole process, honestly.”
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Azjah sipped her scotch, “It is really between the two of you, and as long as you are both happy with the arrangements, then that is all that matters.” While Azjah’s world revolved around the strict protocols of Rigel, she’d come to appreciate the looseness of RhyDin, and since they were here in RhyDin, the only thing that mattered was what they thought.

She smiled brightly, “Oh, that makes sense.” Then she sipped her drink as Soerl took advantage of Wyheree in the ring once again, “And we are. I don’t think we’re in a rush. I’m not. I guess I’ll have to ask Soerl about the date or whatever.” She shrugged a little before glancing again at the rings, or more precisely, at Soerl.

Azjah smiled as she savored the old scotch, “Well, Wil and I haven’t set a date either.” She knew that they would have to set one, once the trade station became a reality, they’d be forced to carry through on their end of the bargain, and Wolfgang wouldn’t risk letting Wil escape ties to Rigel after everything that had transpired.

Soerl perforated Wyheree, and Azjah winced for her friend as Lydia’s lips twisted into a smile, “So you two aren’t in a hurry either?”

Azjah thought about that a moment. There had been so many complications on Rigel. Too many to even begin to share. She sipped the scotch to buy a moment to think how best to phrase it, “We have a minor complication.” She struggled to keep a neutral expression; the trade station was a great deal more than a ‘minor complication’.

Lydia’s brows lifted, “Complication? Anything I can help you with?”

Azjah knew there was nothing anyone in RhyDin could do to help, “I’m not even certain I can help with them, but if they think they’re going to muck up my life, they’ve another thing coming.” And she meant that with every fiber of her being.

Lydia tilted her head, “Who? Is someone trying to stop things for you?” She was both concerned and confused now.

Simini now had the Overlord at her back as she looked at Drey, “either you do not remember, or you are ashamed to admit that this ‘putrid hog’ took your Barony from you.” She was goading the man now, changing her tactics to see if this angle might shake the man into some semblance of normalcy.

“You’re the dumbest piece of filth this side of RhyDin. You’re like a walking coloring book. I can’t even take an insult seriously from the likes of you.” He gave her a cold look.

Simini sighed, “I have not insulted you. I see. You ARE ashamed. The coloring book wins then.” She was ready to give up.

Drey looked completely nonplussed, “Ashamed of what? This fixation you peasants have with these tyke-like titles is really getting unhealthy. And you couldn’t beat me again.” He gave her a condescending look, “You should always address me with an apology first, and then with Lord. Lord Starke.” He’d given her proof of recognition now. “How about I put a knife through your filthy face?”

She spoke quietly then, “Anytime.” And was led away from Drey’s vicinity by the Russian, who was considerably larger than she was, and from his expression, he might have bodily carried her away from Drey if she hadn’t gone willingly. Xeric spoke softly to her, “He seems to be playing with less than a full deck, and he is a good bit bigger than you are.”

Simini sat gingerly as the noble Drey appeared to be particularly riled up over something, but as he moved to stand, Azjah could see that he was horribly thin. Too thin, unnaturally thin. She frowned slightly.

Simini snorted at Xeric, “So? You are bigger than me too.”

Xeric made his way around the table and seated himself, “I’m not your father, but I had to offer that advice.” Then he grinned at her comment, “I am, however, I’m not going to wig out and attack you.” His grin grew, “I might try to get you drunk, but I won’t attack you.”

Drey trudged toward the stairs, his pale face swamped with only what could be characterized as unadulterated rage. Then he dematerialized once his foot touched the first step, or at least that was the impression one gained watching his departure.

Azjah glanced at the rings in time to hear the final call. Soerl had defeated Wyheree, and she glanced at Lydia, “Hmmm, I’m afraid soerl needs a lesson in beating up on lovely females.” Then she took a deep breath, how to answer Lydia, “It’s a very long story, and it revolves around Wil’s former superior officer at I.I.S.C.”

Lydia shook her head hearing the call, “His ego’s going to be unstoppable now.” Then she turned light blue eyes on Azjah, “What’s the I.I.S.C.?”

Wyheree exited the ring and glanced at Azjah, who motioned for her to join them.

Azjah nodded then at Lydia, “Well, it’s the agency that Wil worked for. They maintain interstellar trade routes.”

Lydia was now definitely confused, “Inter… stellar?” She sipped her Chambord, “It sounds important.”

Azjah smiled as she caught her momentary look of confusion, “Wil’s job was in the stars Lydia, and my home is too.”
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Lydia’s pale blue eyes opened wide abruptly with comprehension, “Oh! So all the lights in the sky really are different worlds and realms? “ She offered Wyheree a smile and nod as Wyheree joined them.

“Many of them, yes Lydia.” Azjah gave Wyheree a smile as she sat down with them.

Soerl picked his previously abandoned glass of water up from a nearby table before wandering toward Lydia and Azjah and now Wyheree’s table. He bent down to kiss the elf on the cheek before straightening and taking a sip of the water.

Lydia smiled as she warmed to the idea, “Soerl and I were just talking about that the other day. What the stars could be. What they’d look like up close….” She trailed off briefly before shaking her head, she was getting off topic, “So this person, what’s he doing, exactly?” She hadn’t seen Soerl approach, and glanced up with a smile as he kissed her cheek.

Azjah winced inside, Lydia was proving to be very tenacious and not easily distracted from her line of questions. She gave Soerl a nod before answering Lydia about the stars, “They are stunning up close Lydia, no doubt.”

Soerl returned the nod, opting not to interrupt the conversation.

“Join us Soerl?” Azjah inquired of him, still hoping to divert the topic away from the IISC. “And ma I offer my congratulations?”

Wyheree leaned closer to Azjah, speaking softly, “How is your friend faring?”

Azjah slid her pale blue gaze toward Wyheree. She was inquiring after Gabriel, but things were not going well on that score. She spoke softly in return, “Not much change Wyheree.” Concern flickered across her face at the news.

Soerl blinked, “Hmm? Oh, certainly. On both counts.” He dragged a chair out and set it next to Lydia before taking a seat.

Azjah took this opportunity to change the subject at last, “Wyheree, Lydia has consented to become Soerl’s wife.”

Her face lit up with a smile, “Congratulations to both of you. I wondered why you both were glowing so!”

Lydia grinned, almost sheepishly, “Thank you Wyheree.” Soerl also thanked her, but his grin was more bright than any other quality.

Azjah sipped the scotch, “It would seem we have another reason to share a drink tonight. “ Then she looked at Lydia, “Will you have a dress made in town Lydia?”

Wyheree had a glass of Elven wine brought to her as Lydia demurred, “Oh, I don’t think I’m going to wear a fancy dress, especially if it’s just us in a ceremony. I can always make something to wear. Probably something simple.” She glanced at Soerl as though pondering something she hadn’t voiced.

Azjah nodded, “I did not realize that you meant just the two of you when you said a small ceremony.” That struck her as a trifle odd given that Lydia was a local shop owner and knew a great many in RhyDin, and Soerl was a Keeper on Twilight Isle, well enough known in his own right.

Soerl seemed oblivious to the wedding talk, very much a male attitude around the cosmos Azjah thought as Lydia made a face at him. “Well, us and whoever performs those ceremonies. I’m not sure.” She cut a glance at Soerl once more. “Or, I could commission a dress from another, really fancy. I’m sure Soerl would pay thousands of silvers for it too. Would you love?” She gently prodded him, testing to see if he was paying attention at all.

Azjah and Wyheree both chuckled, knowing precisely what Lydia was doing.

Soerl’s absent sounding ‘Of course” nearly had Azjah in gales of laughter. Though whether he wasn’t listening, or because he really didn’t mind was hard to discern, she suspected it was more a case of failure to listen to the chat of the three women.

Lydia glanced at Wyheree with a teasing grin, “I could probably get a bachelorette party too this way.”

Azjah chuckled and decided to draw Soerl back into the discussion, “So Soerl, who’ve you considered as the official?” Then she gave Lydia an impish smile, “Well Lydia, perhaps we should make a couple of shopping forays together, spend a little of his hard earned cash?” She gave Wyheree that look that very clearly spelled trouble and mischief.

Lydia nodded enthusiastically, “I think that would be great.”

His name spoken aloud snapped him out of whatever place he’d been hiding in as he blinked at her, “Ah, what? I’m sorry.”

Azjah chuckled at Soerl, “I was wondering if you’ve chosen an official.” Then she smiled brightly at Lydia, “Wonderful!” Wyheree just grinned back at Azjah, clearly catching her drift on the shopping expedition.

Lydia hid her own mischievous look behind another sip of the Chambord and emptied her glass, so she set it down onto the table top before glancing at Soerl curiously.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg

Return to “Palazzo Drachen Walde”