Twilight Isle Events

Transplanted Rigelian and her adventures in the Nexus world of RhyDin and
beyond.

Moderator: Azjah von Drachen Walde

Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Azjah von Drachen Walde »

Scarlet startled out of a nightmare, reached for her sword out of reflex, only to find it missing. Looking around the room in a panic her eyes met Azjah's; and the temporary unknowing of where she was faded into curiosity. "What happened?" Scarlet asked in a sleepy whisper that still had shaky tones of fright.

Azjah's pale blue eyes noted her reflexive reach for the blade she had been wearing, and was glad Gabriel had thought to remove it for just such an instance. "It would seem you were overcome at the entry to the Dragon, Scarlet. Are you alright? Shall I summon medical assistance?"

Color filled her cheeks, and she put her face into her hands and ran them through her blond lockes removing the jeweled comb. "I did what?" Scarlet embarrassingly screeched, but as soon as she asked, the memory of the enormous craft entered her mind, and the phantom feeling of what happened hit her slightly. Her knees feeling weak and her head light, she came up with an explanation looking down at her leather corset, "It must have been these bloody clothes, lets no room in for a girl to take breathe..."

Azjah glanced at the corset a moment, remembering well too many Royal Balls when she too thought she might drop for want of air, “Well, you’re going to want to get out of that thing, because what we’re going to show you will take your breath away, and space is cold.” She rose and touched the pad beside a door that whooshed open, “you’re going to want to wear a flight suit if you still desire the trip.” Azjah’s black flight suit fit like a second skin, but that was to keep blood from pooling in extremities during the high G forces encountered during launch and landings.

"A what suit?" Scarlet asked, watching Azjah's actions. Cold sweat from the nightmare, that had nothing to do with space crafts and entertainment objects still clung to her bronzed skin. She wanted to clean up and drink something that would get the taste of sleep out of her mouth. She looked at the other woman's attire, "Can ye breathe in that, lass?” Scarlet chuckled.

Azjah gave her a wink and a smile, “A flight suit.” She chuckled, “Yes, believe it or not, these are somewhat stretchy, but snug enough to keep your blood from rushing to your toes during take off.” She stepped away from the ‘closet’, if you could call it such, and motioned toward the foot of Scarlet’s bed, “There is the bathroom, I’ll give you a few minutes to yourself, and when you’re ready, simply walk over here and touch the pad, the door will open, and we’ll be ready to go.”

Azjah gave Scarlet a quick instructional tour of the bathroom and all its functions, and left Scarlet on her own.

The door to the bathroom shut and Scarlet allowed herself to look amazed at the convenience of this room. She struggled with her corset, and could not remove it. Well of course she couldn't remove the damnable thing, she had a girl from the crew to help her put it on. Curses begin to flow out of her mouth in a most creative fashion. Considering the hunting knife in her boot to cut the buggery thing off was a short lived thought, and she begrudgingly went to ask Azjah for assistance.

The door whooshed open much sooner than Azjah had expected, and she had only gotten a handful of steps away from the suites. She turned and noted Scarlet still wearing the clothes she’d arrived in, and had to give a wry smile when she heard Scarlet’s request. “Ah, forgive me for not realizing you might need a hand with that.” She turned and headed back to Scarlet’s quarters to assist in the onerous thing’s removal.

As she stood behind Scarlet unfastening the skin tight corset, she chuckled, “I don’t think these things have changed in over two thousand years, although, we could ask Gabriel.” But truth to tell, Azjah was not so certain that Gabriel had even noticed in all that time.

She stiffened her posture at the name of the vampire roaming about, and restrained the urge not to curse as she asked, “How old is he actually?" Feeling a wave of comfort as the corset was untied.

Azjah noted the tensing, but was not certain whether it was having an unfamiliar woman removing her corset, or something to do with Gabriel. "Gabriel was born in what most in RhyDin would call 754 BC" "So that would make him," she pondered a moment, "two thousand seven hundred sixty two years old."

Scarlet held her top up and gaped at the age, how could anyone trust something that old? But she didn't question Azjah's relationship with the vampire. "Thank ye lass" and Scarlet made her way to the bathroom.

She noted the gape at the age of her companion, and watched her vanish into the bathroom, calling after her, “I’ll be in the Common area when you’re ready Scarlet.” Surely Scarlet had met creatures nearly that old in RhyDin?
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Baroness von Drachen Walde
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Meanwhile, Gabriel had contacted the tower, advising them of the delay in their launch, and he sat now in the cockpit’s right seat wrapping up final checks. He had sensed Scarlet’s trepidation about him; she fairly screamed her emotional state to him without his even trying to focus on her. As Azjah joined him for a moment, he gave her a fanged parody of a smile, “She fears me for Vampyre.”

Azjah lightly touched his shoulder, “And you will not dissuade her of that notion either, will you?” He shook his head and resumed preparations. Azjah silently studied Gabriel’s profile. Too serious, too detached, he had withdrawn so deeply into himself, she wondered if he could be pulled back from the edge upon which he teetered.

She emerged after nearly two hours, smelling of soap, and her jasmine perfume. If she ever had a reason to want to stay in one place, it would be because of that room. Not having to fuss over transporting water and all the unpleasantness of bathing on a ship. She made her way over to the frock Azjah had left for her and inched it on. The black garment showed all her curves and muscles in a flattering, yet embarrassing display of the female form.

Azjah smiled as Scarlet stepped into the Common area. Her unease with the snug flight suit was apparent, “Would you like to add a skirt over the top Scarlet?” The flight suit was designed to keep blood from seeking the human extremities under strong G forces, but they did not leave much to the imagination.

"I usually don't wear skirts or dresses," Scarlet smirked at the thought; "I will get used to it." Her waist length hair was loose, still free from the ornamental comb.

Azjah nodded and left the cockpit, motioning to one of the buttery soft, black leather seats, “if you will have a seat, we’ll be airborne shortly, and I’ll show you around once we are free of RhyDinian gravitational pull.” She showed her how to affix the straps and leaned the recliner back slightly in an effort to make her as comfortable as possible during launch. Once Azjah was certain Scarlet was securely fastened in, she returned to her own cockpit. Scarlet could see and hear what was going on, but she could not see out the main view screens, which was probably a good thing in terms of lessened vertigo.

Scarlet was excited at the thought of going into the heavens, the same thrill she got steering through hurricanes. She felt rather silly in this suit, but shrugged it off, if Azjah could walk around in it so could she.

Gabriel sealed the ramp and the hum of engines rippled through the ship as the moorings were released. The Star Dragon eased away from the dock and toward the launch pad when Azjah’s voice reached her, “This part is a little rough, but will only last for about 8 minutes.” In that time, the ship would traverse the atmosphere of the planet and reach the comparative calm of space.

"I have been in storms that lasted for hours in a vessel less sturdy than this." Scarlet answered without fear in her voice, trying to make up for her fainting spell. The minty taste of the goo called toothpaste still empowered her taste buds and her throat was dry. But she had to concede, the paste was much better than the gritty concoctions she used back home that tasted bitter.

The Star Dragon’s engines powered up, and the craft lifted off from the platform, gaining speed as they gained altitude. The ground fell rapidly away from them, but Scarlet could not see that from her position in the ship, which was probably for the best since it had a tendency to make many people queasy. The turbulence lasted until they cleared the ionosphere and the blue of the skies gave way to the blackness of space.

Azjah checked coordinates that had been input into the navigation system, they were going to the Large Magellanic Cloud, and the computer confirmed their destination. She gave Gabriel a nod as she left the pilot’s seat and headed back to see how Scarlet was doing. As launches go, this one was unremarkable.

Scarlet saw Azjah walking towards her, and relaxed. The hard part must be over, in a matter of mere minutes she was in the heavens. It took her months to get to destinations on the sea, and here she was in the sky in a matter of bloody minutes. "I am assuming that we are there?" Scarlet tilted her head and asked.

Azjah smiled and sat down in one of the chairs beside Scarlet, “Well, if by ‘there’ you mean space, yes. We have left the significant gravitational pull of the planet and its ionosphere, but we have several hours to go before we reach the Cloud.” Azjah wondered if Scarlet could conceive of the distances she would cover today. The Large Magellanic Cloud was 179 light years from RhyDin. That put it at 1.0521 x 10e18 miles from RhyDin. She shook her head as she considered the distances.

"Amazing..." Scarlet muttered and then quickly her face lit up, "Can I see?!" She asked with excitement.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

She chuckled, “Un-strap yourself, I’ll show you the view from the observatory.” She led Scarlet down the opposite wing from where her suite was located, pausing at the second door, her palm touching the pad and the door slid open with a soft hiss. The lights were very low, making the space nearly dark as Azjah turned on some very low output floor illumination.

“This is the observatory,” Azjah swept her arm around the space and the view ports. In front of one port sat an 11” telescope.

Scarlet looked out the windows which displayed nothing but blackness. Awe filled her, and she asked, "I suppose this is what the heavens consist of?" Chuckling to herself she commented, "No pearly gates for the bloody Catholics after all."

Azjah’s eyes slid over the expanse of blackness punctuated by the brilliance of too many suns to ever count, “Some call this the heavens, though I don’t think this is what the religious have in mind.” She pointed toward the constellations of Mensa and Dorado, “That is where we are going. Our navigation out here is similar to what you use to navigate the seas, that fuzzy cloud of stars is at Right ascension 05hours, 23 minutes, 34.5 seconds and Declination of -69 degrees, 45 minutes, 22 seconds. Fairly similar to your latitudes and longitudes I believe.”

Scarlet took all this information in hoping to be able to use it in the future. Staring off into the scenery she tried to wrap her mind around the notion of more than one sun.

“That fuzzy bundle of stars is the Large Magellanic Cloud. It is the birthing factory for new stars, and it is one of the closest such places to RhyDin. I thought you might like to see a star’s birth.” She gave a quick apologetic smile, “And, I have a delivery to make.” Given Scarlet’s jumping at the chance to get into space, and that the woman was a pirate in RhyDin, Azjah suspected that she would not object to such unless she’d had trouble with the launch, and then the idea of doing it again would probably not have been too welcome.

Scarlet's dark green eyes began to twinkle, and her mind began to race. She had to get a look at the weapons, so easing her face down to a bored like expression, Scarlet fiddled with her necklace and asked, "A delivery?"

Azjah nodded. Yes, I have a customer near the cloud, and I did not think you would mind a brief detour.” The cargo hold was secured and shielded to keep any prying scans from detecting it, but none the less, Azjah would be happier once the cargo was safely delivered. She was always a bit nervous in this sector. It was here that Raavich had taken her when she’d been exchanged to free Klinton.

Scarlet turned her attention to the heavens' womb, and was amazed at the sight, but the idea of the weapons consumed her thoughts. Looking hard at the milky cloud, Scarlet asked, "Ye wouldn't mind if came with you?"

Azjah gave a soft lift of her shoulder, “well, it is not like I can let you out on a street corner or an island, now is it?” She followed Scarlet’s gaze into the skies ahead, “if you look there, that brilliant blue white star there is my home. Folks in RhyDin call it part of the constellation Orion also known as The Hunter.” It was the brightest star in the constellation, at the lower right leg of the Hunter.

Scarlet couldn't suppress the grin that quickly formed on her beautiful golden face. Well that was settled! Resisting the urge to do a cartwheel, she thanked Azjah, "Thank you Azjah!" The pirate turned her attention to the sun being pointed out, and wondered what the world was like. "Is it very different from Earth?" Scarlet asked, hardly noticing the scandalous space suit anymore.

Azjah ‘s gaze fixed once more on Rigel, also known as Beta Orionis, “In some ways it is very much like Earth, but in other ways it is an alien place. We have two suns, and we are very much further away from our sun than the Earth is to its sun. We don’t allow the use of magic at all. Such is a crime punishable by death on my world.” She gave a bit of a shrug. “My world is one of contradictions Scarlet. We are technology driven, but our society is very old, and our rules can be stifling.” Few people truly understood the system from which she hailed, and the more time she spent away from Rigel, the more she realized that small detail. Azjah considered the ancient stone castles and the residences of the aristocracy as contrasted with the sleek, ultra modern homes and the glass tower where the Baronial Council was housed.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Azjah powered up the telescope and focused in on their destination, the Large Magellanic Cloud. “Would you like to see where we are going?” It would take several hours, and Azjah hoped she could keep Scarlet entertained enough to keep her mind off the flight suit.

"I understand completely about the rules" Scarlet smirked; I make it a habit not to follow them." The blond beauty giggled. So you don't practice magic at all?”

Azjah gave her a rueful smile, "I only practice magic on Twilight Isle, it is not worth risking my life and my family's good name by spurning the rules.” Some things were simply not worth the price demanded for violating the rules. Magic was one of those things. Besides, when she left the isle, she had no magic to call upon.

Scarlet let out a short laugh that almost could be considered a cackle. "That is bloody ridiculous."

She quirked a pale brow at her; "Perhaps in a world that permits magic, but we have done away with such things in Rigel and her colonies.” Technology had made everything possible that one could do with magic, so in truth, she did not feel they were missing anything. What ever she had seen done with magic, she had seen done using technology, so risking death for an arcane practice simply made no sense to her.

"I just like being able to do as I please." Scarlet told her, as though that explained everything.

Azjah checked the focus of the telescope again, "We must traverse 179 light years to reach our destination. We will do that in a matter of hours.” She turned pale blue eyes on Scarlet, “Magic has no place for us Scarlet, and my society works because people cannot do as they please." Indeed, the Feudal system only functioned because everyone had a specific place, and no one rose above it. Order was maintained, and people knew precisely what was expected of them. Rogues were not tolerated in the masses.

"Well to each his own..." Deciding that this was a useless debate, Scarlet dropped the subject and brought up a new one, “What shall we do until then?”

Azjah stood back from the telescope, "If you want to see.... here is your first close up of a place where stars are born. We are going to the brightest star in the cloud for the delivery." "And if you look to the right of that, you will see the Tarantula Nebula. The star nursery.... " She glanced out the view port into the night skies, "dust and debris coming together to heat up and grow until the nuclear furnaces ignite, and a new star graces the night skies." The concept always fascinated her.

Scarlet stared at this new sight; no one would ever believe the tales of this journey. "Beautiful..." She half mumbled to herself

Azjah turned again toward Scarlet, "I suppose in some ways, it is like the growth and birth of a hurricane." When the right combination comes together into a critical mass, it takes on a life of its own.

"I don't know how those great storms are born; all I know are just their temper tantrums." Scarlet mused.

Azjah chuckled then, "Well, bring enough of the right ingredients together, and you can cook up a storm or a star. But, I did promise you a tour of the ship, and here I stand, waxing poetic about the stars." She gave Scarlet an apologetic smile.

Scarlet's face brightened up at the idea of seeing the star ship.

Azjah gave the view port a last look, "allow me to show you the rest of the ship. Next door is a laser targeting range, it is small, but it allows me to keep sharp. We cannot, of course, use standard weapons, but guns on laser stun are just as effective for practice." She raised the lighting enough that Scarlet could see where they were going and led her into the next room.

"Can we?!" Scarlet tilted on her toes and clapped her hands together. The thought of shooting a gun from this world, almost brought a salty tear to her eye, and she looked at Azjah with hope that she would say yes.

Azjah moved toward what appeared to be a series of sliding flat drawers, and as her hand touched the pad beside the top shelf, the drawer slid open, revealing 6 nested laser pistols of various sizes and configurations. "Do you have a preference? Azjah handed her a DW Alpha laser pistol. The sights glowed faintly, and the outer forms were reminiscent of an antique. "The only rules are, you don't aim it anywhere but out there. The cases are shielded, but no sense asking for trouble."
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

"One that kills," Scarlet had said when Azjah'd asked her if she had a preference. Azjah laid the gun into her awaiting hand. "Perhaps you should do a couple of test fires before we begin the program?" It was going to be interesting to see how she fared with such modern weaponry.

Scarlet's insides were inflamed with impatient glee, like a child waiting greedily for a treat. She held her hands out for the gun.

Raising an eyebrow Scarlet received the gun with the up most respect of Azjah's rules, even a pirate can have some order. "So ye don't have to load it with powder?" Scarlet asked turning the pistol in her dainty hands examining it carefully.

“No, this one is already powered up. This indicator,” which was flashing green on a very small diode, “lets you know it is powered on, and this one shows you how much energy you have left in the storage cell, and this is the safety, when you take that off, you are ready to shoot.” Azjah familiarized her with the weapon’s controls that were sleekly fit into the antique looking outer skin.

Scarlet held the gun up and eyed it very closely; she was confused by the not loading mechanism. "So it is like a sword in some fashion, always ready? Is that what "charged" means?"

Azjah paused a moment, “well, not exactly like a sword. It is more like a spring, once the spring is compressed; it is ‘ready’ until you release it. Only with this, the ‘spring’ is not released completely, so there is more than one shot. Does that make any sense?”

"Aye.." Scarlet purred never taking her eyes off the weapon. Finally she looked up and looked Azjah in the eye, "So where should I aim this?"

Azjah gave Scarlet a conspiratorial grin, “Over here.” And with that, the first target popped up, which Azjah cleanly hit with a flash of greenish blue fire where the nose had been on the target. “As long as you fire in this direction, we’ll be just fine.”

She followed Azjah to the firing range, and imitated her. Taking a quick aim, she fired the green light at the target and hit it dead on. Scarlet was used to pulling the trigger completely, so the new weapon let out many shots, and many sparks. "This is capital!" Scarlet shrieked.

Azjah chuckled at her obvious thrill, “You’re not too bad a shot with a new weapon. When you are ready, we can run the full simulation.”

"Thanks, and I am ready anytime you are." Scarlet said enthusiastically, looking quite different than she had this morning in that racy frock of the past. Her black suit emitted a different type of power, more intimidating, than the last.

Azjah dimmed the lights. "Time begins now." The first target popped from around a holo-corner that had not been there moments ago.

With a quick aim, Scarlet shot the target with fewer pulses of light this time.

Two more targets erupted into the room, the one on the right was a non-combatant, and the second target fired at Scarlet. The laser fire was only a sting, but enough to let Scarlet know, return fire was part of the program. The first time anyone experienced the return fire, it usually surprised them, but it also improved their aim and timing to avoid another strike.

"Bloody hell!" Scarlet winced at the sting, and gave a nervous laugh as she looked at Azjah. "Ye didn't say it did that!" Just then another pulse of light came at Scarlet again, and almost hit her in the cheek. Scarlet regained her composure and made ready for the next target.

She gave Scarlet a quick wink, “Now just what fun would there be if nothing shot back at you?” A target appeared low, as though creeping along a sofa or settee, its laser aimed at Scarlet. Azjah stepped away from the simulation to avoid becoming a target for the computers.

Scarlet laughed at Azjah, relieved that she was finally loosening up and not acting so rigid. Her eye caught sight of the shape, quickly she crouched low, took aim and fired one green beam.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

The flair of green energy bursts illuminated the room as 5 targets dropped from the ceiling, all of them armed and appeared to be repelling down through a hole in the roof. “I should warn you, the series gets progressively more difficult until you lose. Then it scores you.” Azjah gave Scarlet a smile that clearly warned of trouble ahead.

"Ye don't say?" Scarlet chuckled, and shot at another target.

About that time, the door slid open, and Gabriel’s form materialized in the gloom. “We are approaching the first markers for our destination Marchioness.” Souless black eyes rested a moment on Scarlet before he vanished from the room.

“It would seem that we must prepare for our stop Scarlet.” Azjah set her weapon on safety and laid it back into the shelf.

Scarlet felt the unnatural chill a moment before the sound of the door opening. She didn't look at the vampire as she continued to fire at the targets. After she sensed him gone, Scarlet laid the weapon down next to Azjah's.

Azjah laid Scarlet’s weapon into the drawer and secured it. “You may want to make a moment of refreshment before we have to strap you in for landing.”

Nodding her head with agreement, Scarlet reluctantly followed Azjah away from the entertaining firing range and asked, "How much would one of those guns cost me?"
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

For Sale?

Azjah paused to look at Scarlet, "Why on Rhydin would you want one? You've a lovely assortment of blades and fire arms that are very effective." Azjah suspected Scarlet sought to advance her technology in a single leap, but that violated the business ethics her grandfather had founded the company upon. She wasn’t certain how she would convey that to the beautiful pirate.

Scarlet looked at Azjah as if that was a crazy question, and smiled as she answered, "Powder pistols are useless once they get wet." She had to have one! Imagining all the wealth that could be acquired with these weapons made Scarlet's head spin. Nobles and Royalties wealth was in her hands, if she could buy even a few of these guns.

"I love me blade, but I would love to own one of these lovelies" The pirate witch said looking Azjah innocently in the eyes.

Azjah chuckled, “Scarlet, we can discuss it, but right now, we need to prepare for landing. My client likes things done promptly, and we had to make up nearly 2 hours during the flight. Have you ever met a Zwerg? They can be very cantankerous.” That was being polite. Zwerg were what many in RhyDin would call “Dwarves”, but they have no genetic relationship to the dwarves of RhyDin. Their evolution had clearly followed different paths, but the similarities were still striking.

Azjah settled Scarlet back into one of the black chairs and arranged the restraints before sliding into the left seat, “Zwerg Centurion, this is Star Dragon, requesting landing authorization.” Azjah ran through the check list and waited for approval to land.

It took 36 minutes to put the Dragon on the pad.

Biting her tongue Scarlet took her seat and impatiently waited, with of course a smile on her face.

The touch down was a bit bumpy, but as soon as the Dragon’s engines shut down, there came a clanking outside the ship. Azjah rose as did Gabriel and the boarding ramp lowered, admitting six males, not exceeding 1 meter in height. All of them heavily bearded, with braids and ornamentation woven into the hair that nearly touched the ramp. They paused in the central common area as they noticed a new face aboard the vessel. “You have a new employee?” The gruff voice was directed at Azjah, and was none too friendly.

Repressing laughter at the little dwarfs that boarded Scarlet kept quiet and let Azjah do the talking. This wasn't her territory, and so she wouldn't interfere.

The leader of the group studied the woman aboard. Her long, white blonde hair was truly an enigma in his world. “If she is for sale, how much do you want for her?” Still addressing Azjah, the dwarf’s eyes never left Scarlet. Her hair seemed to hold him in thrall. His Zwerg greed had surfaced in his instant wish to barter for the strange woman with the white hair.

Raising her eyebrows with amusement Scarlet bit her tongue even harder, thinking to herself, 'You'd bring me back.'
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Azjah’s brow rose fractionally. “Xermoglan, this is my guest, she is not for sale.” She motioned for Scarlet to come join them. “Scarlet, may I introduce Xermoglan, son of Mohrin. He is our client today.” She had hoped to make the delivery and be gone, but something in her client’s demeanor suggested that this was not going to be a brief stay.

The dwarf regarded her with cunning eyes, “Mayhap you’ll join us for something to eat?” The fact that the woman was not for sale did complicate things, but Xermoglan was already working on alternative means of acquiring her.

Fumbling slightly with the restraints before finally releasing herself, Scarlet stood up and walked over to the little group, standing on Azjah's other side away from the vampire. The little gnome looked up at her waiting for an answer, and so she accepted, "Yes, thank ye."

Azjah cringed inwardly as Scarlet accepted their invitation. Something in Xermoglan’s eyes had her on high alert. He wanted the blonde haired woman, and a simple ‘no’ did not appear to be accepted by the creature. Zwerg were notoriously difficult to dissuade once they had set their sights on something of value to them.

Gabriel moved in the blink of an eye to take up a stand beside Scarlet as the trio was escorted off the Dragon and toward a building about 50 meters from the ship. His move was not so much one of proprietary interest as it was to assure that no one made a grab for their guest and a fast exit with the woman.

Xermoglan was asking questions about his shipment, but his eyes darted to Scarlet repeatedly. The usual bartering and bargaining seemed to be weak as Azjah answered his questions, and stood firm on her prices.

The little men were quite hideous, and Scarlet feared what food may be put in front of her. She felt the vampire appear beside her in a blink of an eye, it caused her to jump slightly.

Gabriel gave Scarlet a fanged twist of his lips that might have passed for a smile as they entered the building. Azjah was talking with Xermoglan about the high speed Gatling type weapon she had brought to them, “You must arrange proper training Xermoglan, or you will go through the projectiles at a rate of speed you cannot afford to re-supply.” At over 200 rounds per second, this gun would consume ammunition quickly.

The small creature grunted in reply and opened a door into a sumptuous dining area. Xermoglan offered Scarlet his brawny arm, replete with finely worked bracer, “If you would allow me to seat you?” He had turned on the charm, but still, his attention was riveted on the woman’s hair. “You would find our world a fine home; you should stay for a time.” Separating her from her companions seemed the most logical way for him to acquire her.

"I am only passing through, but thank ye though..." Becoming uncomfortable, and not wanting to take the little man's arm, Scarlet looked at Azjah.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Azjah gave her a brief nod, Xermoglan would not do anything to destroy hospitality right now, but clearly he intended to find a way to keep Scarlet. She’d captured his fancy in a very unexpected way. This complicated things as it is very easy to offend a Zwerg.

Azjah took the arm of the second in command and followed him to the table, which was very low, and reminded her of the tiny tea set she had as a child, miniaturized to allow children to sit comfortably as they played at being adults.

Gabriel remained at Scarlet’s other side. Xermoglan shot him a brief glare as the big Carpathian would not be parted from the witch’s side.

Scarlet began to follow after Azjah and the little man, she could escort herself. As she walked she tried to reach into her pocket for her sterling flask, only for her hand to meet the flight suit. "Damn" she muttered to herself, and crossed her arms.

Xermoglan’s brow furrowed as he moved to keep beside the ‘white’ haired woman, “We will set up the new weapon and demonstrate our ability to make good use of it,” he told Azjah as they were seated. Gabriel’s cold fingers brushed Scarlet’s arm, encouraging her to slow down and show equivalent courtesy as the leader of the group continued to frown, but he had Scarlet’s chair pulled out by another, smaller male. Then he seated himself at Scarlet’s right side.

Azjah thanked her escort and sat down across the low table from Scarlet, her pale blue eyes meeting and holding Xermoglan’s dark brown eyes. “We appreciate this unexpected hospitality Xermoglan, son of Mohrin. If we could spare the time to stay for the demonstration, I would be most pleased to do so, but as it is, we must return Scarlet to her own home. She would be missed were we delayed overly long.”

Azjah nodded to the serving male as a mug was filled with a frothy brew. She glanced at Scarlet, “Be careful my friend, this is strong, and very tasty.”

Xermoglan’s hand lifted ostensibly to pick up his own filled mug, but his hand brushed against the fine silk of Scarlet’s hair in the process.

Clenching her teeth with anger at the small man touching her hair, Scarlet looked at the brew, "Thanks but I don't drink the strong stuff, against me religion." She lied, wishing she had her weapons on her. The strong feeling of being hunted filled her senses, and she couldn't, nor would relax.

Xermoglan gave her a surprised look, “Would you care for a cider? Or perhaps the juice of the Moin Berry?” He tried to think of something appropriate since she did not drink the stronger spirits his people favored. But everything he thought of was for the young ones alone.

The serving males brought out several platters of covered food, and the scent of the meal wafted across the table as they were uncovered. The largest platter had what appeared to be some sort of Armadillo like creature, the plates split down the center revealing a white meat of fine texture. The other platters had what appeared to be fowl of some sort, and vegetables that look like nothing from Rhydin.

Xermoglan offered to serve Scarlet as the second in command offered to serve Azjah. Azjah nodded as several choice bits were procured and placed onto her plate. “Xermoglan? You honor us with the Rheabba. I have not had such a delicious meal in many ages.”

Gabriel remained mute as the plates were filled and the mugs kept topped off. It was only a matter of time before Xermoglan would show his hand.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Scarlet wondered if any of the food was poisoned or tainted, and smiled as the dwarf served her. She focused on her plate and begin to mentally scan the plate for negative energies, calling on her powers to do so. Smiling politely at the host, "Cider will be nice."

Almost immediately a pitcher appeared at her left, pouring a hot pink concoction into her mug. “Tarrac cider is mild, but tasty, drink, drink,” Xermoglan gave her his best smile, yet still his gaze strayed to her hair.

Azjah finished chewing on a bit of the Rheabba, “Xermoglan? How are your children and your wife?” She hoped to distract his attention from Scarlet, who was clearly not enjoying the attention.

The dwarf-like leader slid his eyes toward Azjah, “Bah, tell me what good are females in this world? They are as well as can be expected, and as much trouble as can be expected.” He stifled another impulse to run his fingers through her long white tresses, “But if women were as easy to look at as this one, perhaps I could find a better purpose to paying attention to them?” He gave a gritty chuckle.

Her left hand felt for her sword on its own, only to find nothing. Scarlet looked at the gnome dryly, and begin to make a comment about what she was good at... when Azjah placed a marble ball on the table. The threats of murder got stuck in her throat, and she took a sip of the cider.

Azjah pulled a small marble like sphere from the small pocket at her hip, she laid it at the edge of her plate as she took another bite of the Rheabba. Gabriel noted the placement of the sphere. It was an unspoken signal between them.

Azjah gave Xermoglan a polite smile, “Your compliment is noted and appreciated Xermoglan, but perhaps we can discuss the business at hand over dinner?”

Scarlet watched as Azjah ate the food, and looked down at her plate with frustration. If her respect for Azjah was never shown, surely it was glowing now. Keeping her temper with a git like this was almost impossible.

“Business at a meal gives me indigestion Marchioness. “ He gave Scarlet his best smile, “but a lovely wench can make it a pleasing experience.”

Scarlet jumped out of her seat, almost knocking the little fellow over. Her cheeks flustered, and seething with anger. "I will show you a bloody wench you little troll." A red aurora began to illuminate from Scarlet.

The marble like sphere was two colors, a deep jade green on one side, separated by a line of indigo blue, and an opalescent white on the other. When it first was placed there, the opalescent side moved, as though it were a fluid and not a solid, but then as it sat beside Azjah’s plate, the swirling of the white slowed to an imperceptible float.

Azjah laid her fork down and regarded Xermoglan, “Truly, we are pressed for time, and I do apologize that we cannot enjoy the hospitality of the Zwerg longer. Perhaps ….” Her voice trailed off as Scarlet erupted.

Xermoglan’s eyes lit up as she began to be enveloped in a red aura, “Mystic!!! How marvelous!!”

He wasn't fazed at her display of power, and she realized what she was about to do. Blushing at losing control, Scarlet looked at Azjah and then for a way back to the ship.

Azjah rose, as did Gabriel in that moment. A trio of males surrounded Scarlet to preclude her escape as Xermoglan spoke, “I appreciate that you have brought me this exquisite gift Marchioness. You and your co-pilot are free to go. The Mystic White Haired One will remain here.”

A surge of gravity knocked the little men against the walls with ease; not to mention the food and silverware. "Trust me you little bastard troll from hell, I be no one's gift." Scarlet growled with a smirk waving her hand towards the leader, who began to rise.

“Xermoglan, son of Mohrin, l am shamed by this display of greed You have invited us into your home, and offended us with this attempt to take what is not yours to take.” Azjah’s pale blue eyes flashed ice fire. In her hand was the ‘marble’ that had lain beside her plate.

"It appears little man that woman are good for one thing after all...keeping little bloody bastard like ye in line." With that statement all of the hair on the dwarf's head turned white and fell out.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

The room went totally silent as Xermoglan’s hair turned white and fell out. Azjah fervently hoped it would regrow, but in the mean time, Xermoglan had suddenly shed the crowning glory of any adult Zwerg. One of the three who had surrounded Scarlet poked a very sharp pike into her from behind, but his hands shook as he tried to prod her away from the table.

Xermoglan’s hands flew to his head as white hair fell all around him, “You cannot do this! Take her to the donjons!” Angry brown eyes landed on Azjah, “Begone!”

Another wave of force knocked the dwarf poking her back, and as he flew back his hair also turned white and fell out. Giggling with power, Scarlet smiled and threatened, "If any of ye little gits think I am going any bloody where with ye, I'd think again." Pointing to the leader on the ground. "Imagine what else I can make fall off." With that Scarlet strutted out of the room, making sure Azjah and the vampire followed.

Azjah moved purposely between Scarlet and Xermoglan then as Gabriel shielded Azjah’s back as they headed for the Star Dragon. Once inside, Azjah closed the ramp and she and Gabriel powered up the engines. “I do hope Xermoglan got his gun,” Azjah quipped as they released the moorings and began the ascent into the abyss of space once more.

Gabriel rose to check on Scarlet's safety. "You avoided a very fast escape."

Looking up at the vampire like a child in trouble, "Was that my fault?"

"It is what it is. We are going closer to the Large Magellanc Cloud." Gabriel's voice slid like black silk over her skin before he turned and took his place in the right seat.

Watching the vampire walk back to his seat, Scarlet was still angery. That weird little man desearved it, she had been very polite. Until he got too friendly and then called her a wench; but for some reason she was worried that she might have displeased Azjah.The emotions that exploded with her casting had drained most of her energy. Sighing Scarlet closed her eyes and decided to relax until they reached the cloud.

Azjah glanced at Gabriel as they set course for the Cloud, once that was done, she rose and headed for the common area. "Sleeping?"

Scarlet opened her dark emerald eyes, "No just resting....I am sorry if I instigated any of that..."

She shook her head. "No, I should have realized you would be a novelty on Zwerg territory, but I've never known him to pull something like that before."

"I guess I can have that effect on men, but they always want to own me." Scarlet smiled sleepily. "I will never be owned..."
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

"I do apologize, that was not a reaction I had anticipated Scarlet.' She studied the woman a moment, wondering why the Zwerg's comment about ownership seemed to upset her so much. While it was true that she too would be offended by an offer of purchase, Scarlet’s vehemence was stronger than expected.

"Ye have nothing to apologize for. I tried honestly not to pay the little piss any attention..." Scarlet said, sighing as she looked around at the ship. The green eyes flickered with fury for but a second, and she looked back up at Azjah. "I have really enjoyed this trip, and would love to come with you another time. Please don't judge me too harshly." Scarlet pleaded, her eyes never looking away from Azjah's.

"I am making no judgments, and I am glad to hear you have enjoyed the trip. If you give us about an hour of flying time, I'll show you something truly remarkable that you can never see from RhyDin." She was truly pleased that Scarlet had not allowed Xermoglan’s escapade to ruin her trip.

Azjah went to the food replicator and requested a glass of scotch, neat. "Would you like something?"

Scarlet smiled and sat up, raising her right eyebrow slightly she joked, "Some of the hard stuff landlord." Then chuckled lightly, she stood up and walked over to Azjah and the machine. "I would like a cold glass of ale please." Scarlet asked Azjah and looked at the contraption.

Azjah set down her glass, “Do you have a preference for light or dark ales?”

Smiling Scarlet answered, "Dark please, you mean this bloody thing can't read me mind..." The witch's eyes grew wide and then refocused. She had forgotten to set barriers to protect her thoughts! Knowing of vampires reading thoughts as easily as they could speak words, Scarlet set the barriers up. The idea of anyone reading her thoughts made her uneasy.

A low rumble of laughter echoed from the right seat of the cockpit as she set up her mental shields.

“Dark it is then,” Azjah instructed the replicator and a cold glass of dark ale formed on the counter. Azjah glanced between Scarlet and the cockpit, but remained silent. “There is a new star being born, but it is too dim to see from RhyDin, and it’s quite a spectacle to behold.”

Scarlet looked towards the cockpit, and she flushed with anger. So the bloody ghoul had been reading her thoughts. Her eyes unknowingly narrowed she looked at Azjah, and calmed her voice to a honey tone, "I can't wait!" Scarlet exclaimed and took a swig of her ale.

Azjah noted the quick flush of anger, “Something is wrong?” Clearly something was going on between Scarlet and Gabriel, she could feel Gabriel’s sense of satisfaction for lack of a better term.

"No, I am right as rain." Scarlet said brushing the anger aside, and taking a sip of the ale. Looking at her frosty mug, she looked at Azjah and asked, "How did it make this out of thin air without magic?"

Scarlet’s defenses were, even as she spoke, being investigated, perhaps a sensation of methodical nudges, and the soft whisper of black velvet….’you seek to keep such as I out?’
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Azjah glanced at the replicator, “well, everything has a molecular structure, it is only a matter of replicating that molecular recipe to produce what you have now in your hand. First it replicates the glass according to a ‘recipe’ of sorts, and then it makes the contents and presents it to you at the perfect temperature and consistency.”

She lifted the ale to her lips again, and nearly choked as a voice spoke in her head, even after all her defenses were set. Concentrating she sent a message back, 'I seek to keep anyone out of my thoughts.' Scarlet set up her defenses again and used thrice the power as before, leaving her a little light headed...or maybe it was the ale.

"So I could in theory replicate gold?" Scarlet asked tilting her head, and looked greedily at the machine.

“There are replicators capable of such, yes, but this one is programmed for food and drink.” Azjah sipped her scotch and noted a slight sway to her, “Are you feeling alright? Would you prefer to sit?”

Gabriel’s black velvet laughter came from the cockpit once again. It was entirely without mirth.

Concentrating with all her mental powers; Scarlet set up yet another mental barrier. Then she plopped back down in to her seat. She wasn't too weak for anger and she'd be damned to let the vampire win. Giving her best soldier face she faced Azjah and asked, "I am fine thanks. So if that is possible, how can there still be material wealth?” Scarlet reclined her head back against the cushion; the mug felt as it weighed twenty times its real weight.

“Ah, that part is easy to explain. A replicator always leaves a ‘tag’, so replicated materials in terms of gems or metals do not have the value of the real thing. It is also very, very expensive to maintain a replicator that does such items. Usually large institutions such as universities or large corporations are the only ones who can afford to keep such replicators.”

She glanced at the cockpit once more, then at Scarlet, “Is he giving you a hard time?” Her suspicions had been aroused and Gabriel’s mental silence simply confirmed he was up to mischief.

The empty glass fell out of the blonde pirate's hand, and fell to the floor. All the energy she had left was gone, Scarlet was fast asleep.

Azjah picked up the dropped glass before pulling a silken coverlet from the cabinets and draped it over the woman before heading back into the cockpit. “Gabriel, what are you doing to her?”

Scarlet muttered a few curses in her sleep and curled up, falling silent once again.

Gabriel continued to monitor the shipboard systems, “She believes her mental shields are enough to keep me out. And I found her views of me enlightening.” Then he turned soulless eyes on Azjah, “Humans have never been able to discern the difference between the evil of the Vampyre, and the normalcy of Carpathian.” If there could have been pain in his voice, there would have been.

Scarlet awoke slowly, and yawned. She had only slept for a few minutes and due to another trick she had learned, felt refreshed and ready to finish the day.

Azjah shook her head as she studied the ship’s controls, “and you will do nothing to change that, will you? Sometimes Gabriel, I think you like being mistaken for Vampyre.” Azjah had not heard Scarlet stir, and had reverted to vocal commentary.

Scarlet stood up and walked towards Azjah's voice, overhearing a discussion between her and the vampire. That damnable thing that made her exhaust herself into slumber, anger heated her cheeks again.

Azjah heard footsteps approach the cockpit and she shook her head again at Gabriel, “Feeling better Scarlet?”

"Sorry 'bout that, don't know what came over me." Scarlet glared at Gabriel, and then smiled as she looked at Azjah and asked, "Shall I go back to my seat?"

“Not unless you would prefer it, have a look at where we’re going.” An endless expanse of black spread out before them, but scattered in the blackness were brilliant flairs of light too numerous to count. The cosmos lay before them in a splendor only seen by those who made their way amongst the stars.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Scarlet looked at the never ending mass of black and stars, taking her breath away. "My....it's more than I could have ever dreamed..." She sighed vexed, and grabbed the back of a chair for support.

“It is an astounding place, is it not?” Azjah glanced up at her, “If you look over here to the left, that glowing mass of clouds, it’s called the Spider in the Sky, or more appropriately, The Black Widow Nebula.”

Gabriel’s rich baritone slithered across her skin, “do you like spiders madam?”

Not looking at Gabriel she answered the question, "I love webs, glittering with dew in the morning light, like crystal threads...and in the middle a colorful jewel tone spider. As a girl...." Scarlet tore her eyes off space for a moment, and stopped mid sentence only to begin a new one. Looking into Gabriel's eyes spitefully, with no fear, Scarlet hissed, "I hate those ugly, fuzzy, sneaky blokes...the ones who hide in dark places hoping to catch a bite."

Gabriel’s soulless black eyes flared a glowing, ember red as she met his eyes for the first time. “Dark places hide many dark and ugly things.”

Azjah frowned at the exchange. “You two want to enlighten me?”

"Yer eyes don't scare me ghouly. Excuse me Azjah." Scarlet taunted, walking out of the cockpit, and taking her original seat. A sense of accomplishment of being able to take a stab at the man...vampire...whatever he was swelled in her chest.

A pale brow rose as she watched Scarlet depart, then she looked at Gabriel. “Do I want to know what that was all about?”

"Do ye mind if I try this contraption out on me own?" Scarlet spoke loud enough for Azjah to hear. Looking at the device that formed objects out of thin air, this would be worth lives. Armies would fight over a jewel such as this. Did Azjah ever answer her question about gold and such? Scarlet couldn't remember, too busy fighting off demons, and with that thought she chuckled lightly.

Azjah stood and joined Scarlet in the Common Area, “Not at all, just speak very clearly and describe what it is you wish it to produce. It will prompt you if it doesn’t understand the request.”

"A glass of whiskey." Scarlet said looking at it, waiting with an amused expression on her face.

The computerized voice replied, “What kind of whiskey is requested? There are 2,063 known recipes.”

Azjah hid a hint of a smile as she watched.

"The best!" Scarlet half laughed, and then looked at Azjah for some help.

Azjah gave her a brief shrug, “I myself prefer Dalwhinnie, Distillers edition neat, but many people do not care for scotch whisky’s. There are Scotch, Irish, Japanese, Canadian, American, Welsh, Indian, Rhydinian, Elven, Dwarven, what is it you usually drink in RhyDin?”

"I don't know, never really inquired what brand it was...I will try the elf one." Scarlet replied.

The machine created a rocks glass first, followed by a rich amber liquid at 19 degrees Celsius was presented. As she lifted it, the scent of oak, and honey and heather reached her nose.

Scarlet took the whiskey and thanked Azjah. Raising the glass to her nose she took a whiff, and with curious expression took a sip. "It is wonderful!" Scarlet exclaimed, and finished it off. Looking at Azjah, guilt once again crept into her stomach. Why must she have constantly take up for her self? The thought of that ugly bald troll crept into her mind, and she began to giggle.

Azjah took her own glass of scotch to one of the seats and settled in, “You are amused by something, and alternately furious, apparently with Gabriel. Care to share?”

"I was just thinking of that bloody, bald, horny idiot dwarf!" Scarlet was rolling with laughter now, and tears filled her eyes.

Azjah’s pale blue eyes appeared concerned, “his hair will grow back, right?”
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Azjah's comment only made Scarlet laugh harder, and she bent at the waist her side aching. Taking a few calming breaths Scarlet managed to answer Azjah's question, "Only as long as he treats us women folk with respect; anytime a foul thought of any kind pops into the git's tiny mind about a woman..." Scarlet began to giggle, and repressed it and finished what she was saying, "It will fall out, again and again and again." A small laugh broke way, and she wiped her eyes. Sighing hard she looked at her empty glass; I imagine he will be shining that ugly cap for many years.

“Oh dear,” came Azjah’s reply, but she too was struggling not to burst into laughter.

Gabriel appeared between the two women then; “The Nursery” has been reached. We will enter the cloud momentarily.”

The whiskey and laughter was a nice change from the little battles Scarlet had experienced today. Noticing Azjah's lip twitching, Scarlet was about to make another comment about the dwarf when she felt the chill bumps on her flesh again.

Soulless black eyes landed on Scarlet, “Had I desired your blood, I would have had it.” It was no brag, but a simple statement of fact.

Scarlet looked at the vampire and said calmly, "I know that, earlier the remark sort of came out wrong. I was referring to you sneaking around in my thoughts trying..." She had never really looked at him as a person before, he was beautiful in a scary way. "Besides I am sure my blood would taste rotten anyway." Scarlet teased.

Gabriel’s lips peeled back, exposing long, sharp fangs, “I can smell your blood, and trust me, you would not be rotten.”

Azjah simply shook her head, “Gabriel, stop.”

Scarlet shook her head and asked for another Elvin whiskey and did retort a little this time, "Well that is good to know, what does it smell like?"

Gabriel gave the Marchioness a brief bow, “salt air, seas and magic,” and with that, he returned to the cockpit.

“We should be close now, would you like to come up front, or see a star born from the observatory?”

Looking back at Azjah, "Up front if that is fine with everyone."

Gabriel took the navigator’s place and allowed Scarlet to be seated in the right seat beside the pilot. The best place to see what lay directly ahead.

Before them was a swirling miasma of dust and gas. The material was in constant motion and beginning to glow. “This is how a star begins, as an accretion of dust and gas until it gains enough mass to ignite the nuclear furnace that makes it glow. This one is very close to igniting its furnace, and based on the mass estimates, it should be a class G star, very similar to RhyDin’s sun.”

Scarlet nodded as she listened, trying to think of nothing but what Azjah was explaining. "Class G star?" Scarlet asked finishing off the whiskey.

“A star classification system makes the sun on RhyDin a G class star, which means that it’s surface runs around 5,000 to 6000 degrees Kelvin and has a distinctly yellowish color with medium hydrogen lines when the spectra are analyzed. It all has to do with the mass of the star’s material and the temperatures and constituents that make up the fuel the star burns.” Azjah strapped in and touched a switch that reinforced the external shields. “We are too close to remain unshielded.”

Scarlet licked her lips, and began to tremble. "Did ye say 5000 degrees?" She asked, visibly scared.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg

Return to “Palazzo Drachen Walde”