Transplanted Rigelian and her adventures in the Nexus world of RhyDin and
beyond.

Moderator: Azjah von Drachen Walde

Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Pyxis alpha discovery

Post by Azjah von Drachen Walde »

The find was shocking. This mineral was rare enough, but from the initial geophysical indications, the metamorphic area was huge. The presence of the mineral hinted at extreme temperatures and pressures. Extremes that were not expected at all.

There was no impact crater found, which could have explained the temperatures and pressure required to form the mineral, but the purity of these crystals belied the ultramafic magma that had cooled and been metamorphosed.

The finding could be considered grounds for national secrecy.

The implications staggering.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Baroness von Drachen Walde
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Posted for Garry Bradstreet

Garry Bradstreet
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Longshoreman, City Guard
277.66 Silver Crowns
[ Donate ]

Items
Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:44 am Post subject:

-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

Garry came out of the shower with a towel wrapped around his waist and began to dry himself off, still amazed at his good fortune of meeting Azjah Caer earlier in the day. At least he thought that was her name. So much was going on at the time. “Azjah, Rena, and Cor…Azjah, Rena, and Cor,” he repeated a few times, trying to commit the names to memory. Then he tried to remember the name of the woman he was supposed to meet. “Colette? No…that’s not it. Damn it, what’s the name. Charlotte! That’s it!”

He dried off, shaved and put on his uniform. It was the best clothing he had left to his name. The uniform was deep tan with dark brown trim and a high collar. It had a nice cut that made his trim waist look even trimmer. He shined his dark brown boots, brushed his teeth, and ran his fingers through his dark hair as he looked in the mirror. This was as good as he was going to get considering that he was nearly broke and he had only about three changes of clothing to his name. He needed this job, and the fact that it would be taking him off this planet was a major bonus. He was definitely ready for more in this life.

- - -
An hour later he entered Drachen Walde Industries which stood over on the southeast side of town. He went to the reception desk. “Good afternoon. I’m Garry Bradstreet and I’ve been told that I should ask for someone by the name of Charlotte.”
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

The receptionist studied the man before her a moment, then she peered at the appointment book for his name.

"Yes sir, The Marchioness called a little while ago and said you would be coming to speak with her assistant, Charlotte. Please sign the register here?"

She slid the guest register across the counter toward him as she took in the brown trimmed uniform as she waited for him to sign in .

"Alright, if you will follow me?" She rose and stepped from behind the reception desk and touched the sensor on the wall beside the door into the offices of Drachen Walde Industries. The lock clicked open and she led him to the second floor, first office on the left.

The name plate on the door read "Charlotte Pearson". At the soft knock from the receptionist, the occupant of the office bade entry and Garry was admitted into a reasonably sized office where a tall woman sat behind a desk, busily typing into the computer.

She lifted her gaze and paused, "Mr. Bradstreet? Please have a seat. You have come to review the contract required to work for Drachen Walde Industries, and you understand that a Non-Disclosure Agreement is required, as well as a background check?"

She had a stack of documents laid in a neat pile facing one of the two chairs that faced her desk.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Azjah sat in the comfortable chaise in the great room of the Palazzo with Gabriel, as she replayed for him the events that had led up to sending Garry Bradstreet to the company for potential hire.

............. hours earlier.........

Azjah had managed to get everyone off Lacerta and returned to RhyDin, but the loss of the station, and Bernhard rode her conscience hard. RhyDin moved with its own life and rhythm, but Azjah couldn’t find synchronicity with that ebb and flow. She headed for the Inn since the new shop was not yet open for the day, hoping for a good cup of coffee and a little peace and quiet to study the reports from Pyxis. What she found was a tense atmosphere as the demon she’d met once before was exchanging harsh words with someone she had never seen before. A slaver from the looks of the subservient woman crouched at the stranger’s feet and his domination over her. She frowned to herself as she said good morning to the demon, who simply nodded but said nothing more to her.

Damien then muttered, “Humans…. Are difficult to hold a lasting relationship with. At least for those of us with longer life spans.” He shrugged and brushed raven hair out of his face as he spoke to Lyren. “Then again, we cannot always choose who we will fall for. Just look at Jade. Truthfully she did not like me, or feared me when we met. Though I believe my charm grew on her after a time and now here we are.”

Azjah could not help the chuckle that escaped her at Damien’s observation as she made another note from the book’s data, then double checked the formula that she had transcribed onto the notebook’s page. The demon’s violet eyes found Azjah’s as he gave her an arch of his brow, inquiring of her, “what is it you find humorous love?” But her chuckle must have been contagious as the demon himself began to chuckle softly.

She took a sip of her coffee before responding to him, “well demon,” since she did not know his name, “it would seem that Rigelian males, RhyDinian males, and all manner of males of their respective species believe that we innocent females are ‘difficult’ at best, but that “charm” you all possess wins us over in the end. Perhaps this is a universal constant?” She chuckled softly to herself.

Damien had turned his attention to the other woman, but responded with the arrogance Azjah had known all her life, “perhaps I am just that damn good.” It was a statement and not a question and she smiled to herself as she rose and headed for the bar to refill her coffee. “Perhaps demon, perhaps.” She was not convinced of his viewpoint, and went back to studying the tables for mafic magmas and subsequent metamorphic products.

She had just finished a phase diagram of the specific mafic magma eclogites she was studying when Corlanthis walked through the door whistling cheerfully. He had one hand stuffed deeply into the pocket of his khaki trousers as the other hand swung idly at his side as he progressed through the Inn’s common room toward the bar area. Azjah smiled and said good morning to him. He grinned while he slipped behind the bar and made himself a cup of iced tea. “How are you? Would you care for anything while I’m back here?” He added a few more ingredients to his tea and she told him that she would love a refill of her coffee if he did not mind. She glanced again at the formula and sighed, “I’m well enough, trying to digest these formulas.”“

Corlanthis nodded and spun around to fill an insulated pitcher with freshly brewed coffee and carried both to Azjah’s table where he set the pitcher down before her and then settled onto a seat. His eyes shone with curiosity as he glanced at what she was doing, “what sort of formulae? Perhaps I can help?”

She smiled and pushed the book his direction, “transition point charts and mineralogical formulas. I’ve run into some unique mineralogical blends that I need to understand what the parent rock formation was to generate the resulting metamorphic basement. From what I see here, it was very exotic initial magmatic intrusion, and then suffered tremendous heat and pressure subsequently, but I can’t determine where such pressures and temperatures could have come from to accomplish this kind of metamorphism.” She frowned at the book again. “Eclogites are rare enough, but to find this mineral and level of purity…” Her thoughts trailed off as Rena barged through the door and plopped onto a stool at the bar, dropping her head onto the top of the bar, whispering very softly, “kill me now, please.”

Corlanthis started to ask about transition points and then trailed off as he too noticed Rena’s arrival. He gave a slow smile as he then pushed the coffee pitcher toward Rena. Then he scrunched his brows together in concentration, “you’re assuming it’s naturally occurring and not the result of outside forces?”

Azjah chuckled softly at Rena, then nodded to Corlanthis, “yes, I was assuming a natural source for the temperature and pressures due to the size of this basement rock.”

Cor gave a slight chuckle, “natural probably is right. I’ve just learned over the years not to rule out the … ah… least expected.” He then glanced at Rena, who was obviously suffering, “long night? Early day? A little of both?”

Rena muttered, “the last,” through the wood of the bar top. “Can I get a mug of coffee please?”

Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Cor gave her another grin before leaning up in his barstool and reached over the bar, poking around until he found a mug for her. Then he poured coffee from the pitcher into it and set it near Rena’s right hand. He grew a teasing smile that she couldn’t see from her viewpoint, “Oh? Was there a special occasion?”

Azjah chuckled softly as she watched Rena, but her mind was still mulling over the mineral find on Pyxis. “It simply boggles the mind though, what pressures and temperatures had to have been achieved if I am to believe these charts,” she commented to Corlanthis.

Rena raised her head and glared at Corlanthis, “when was my last special occasion?” Then she reached for the mug of steaming coffee and took a tentative sip of the aromatic brew.

Corlanthis had no idea when she’d last had a special occasion, and he then glanced back at the Marchioness, “how deep were they found? The samples, I mean.” He took a drink of his tea as he rose from his stool to make another fresh pot of coffee. But this time, he sat down on the serving side of the bar as more and more people arrived.

Azjah sipped her coffee, “the samples came up in a core sample from 2.7 kilometers down.”

He gave a low whistle, “that’s a pretty fair distance down I should think. I wouldn’t be surprised to find some rather serious pressure that low, but I’m no geologist or anything, so make of my opinion what you will.”

She nodded, “yes, it’s a rather deep core, but by no means as deep as we can go, and not nearly deep enough to account for those temperatures and pressures.” Corlanthis nodded as she spoke, then tilted his head and asked if she had any theories as to what caused the required temperatures and pressures. Her brows knit together slightly in concentration, “well, a collision might have done it, but we have not found evidence of that kind of impact crater yet.”

Corlanthis’ brows scrunched further and did some thoughtful sipping of his tea, “a mystery to be sure.” He then perked up, “does your interest stem simply from the scientific? ‘Why are these like this?’ Or is there more to it?”

Azjah nibbled slightly on her lower lip, “there is more to it than simple curiosity.” She regarded him a long moment before continuing, “These minerals are very, very rare, and very, very valuable. Additionally, they cannot be synthesized in any laboratory due to the pressures and temperatures required.”

Corlanthis gave a slight grin as his mind began to work this way and that, “So, they’re very hard to reproduce artificially, and there’s no indications they could have formed naturally where you found them. Could they have been planted?” His eyes met hers, “and yes, I realize the absurdity of what I’m asking.”

Rena stirred then, “It would be more absurd if you don’t ask… but knowing Azjah, you are just voicing what she has been thinking.”

Azjah quirked a brow at Corlanthis, “Planted? At that depth? I suppose most anything is possible, but the probability is that they are naturally part of the original mineralogical make up of the magma, but this is such a large metamorphic zone as to be never before discovered. And, the oddity has me dubious as to how and why we found it.” Eclogites with such high manganese content are very scarce. She then chuckled hearing Rena, “Are you suggesting that I am a skeptical soul?”

Rena quirked a brow, “would I do that?” She chuckled, “knowing you, this problem has probably had you up to all hours of the night and coming here allows you to get some fresh air, and maybe a new view on things.”

She gave Rena a smile and a quick wink, “shh, you will give away all of my secrets.”

Cor chuckled, “if they’re part of the original strata, and given the pressures required to form them, then likely they’d remain there in that state for a looooooooooong time.” He grew pensive and did some thoughtful chin tapping, “so you should find other examples of them, shouldn’t you? It wouldn’t be isolated to the one sample you found.”

She nodded, “correct, we’re already setting up another core sampler a couple of kilometers away. The geophysical data suggests that we could move further from the source, but I’ll start closer for confirmation.”

Rena sipped the coffee, “where did you get the samples?”

Corlanthis shook his head, “never asked that, just assumed it wasn’t local.” He sipped his tea again, “so it seems to me that success or failure in finding more will answer some of the questions surrounding them.”

Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Azjah laid the pen down and wrapped both hands around the cup as she answered Rena first, “we found the samples on Pyxis alpha,” Then she nodded toward Corlanthis, “this would be a find of immense value to the Kaiser.” She didn’t elaborate on just how valuable this find could be.

Corlanthis’ expression suggested that he had no idea where Pyxis was, but the mention of value brought his focus back, “what makes them so valuable?”

Azjah sipped her coffee, “well, high energy lasers use specific pure minerals. These minerals are a whole new class of super conducting laser.” She wasn’t certain either of them would understand the inner workings of lasers, but it truly didn’t matter because the crucial aspect was that these rare minerals had very specific purposes and would be highly valued.

Corlanthis nodded as though it all made perfect sense to him, but Azjah suspected that he was utterly lost when he added, “right, it’s important that lasers have the best minerals, of course.”

The Marchioness chuckled softly, “it’s more than having the best minerals. It’s the mineral properties that give the laser its power and wavelength. The properties of this mineral are… well… let us say they are very special.” Explaining how lasers worked wasn’t going to help Corlanthis understand why this find was so very important.

Rena took a sip of her coffee, “just like those di-lithium crystals they used in those movies… Star Trek or something. The better and purer the rocks, the more you can get out of them.”

Rena’s assessment was unusual, but she was right about getting more out of purer samples.

Corlanthis continued to nod, “oh, yes…wavelengths. Right. It’s good to have long ones.” He hoped he was sounding like he knew about lasers and light particles. “Only one question… what’s a laser?” He gave Rena a look of awe as she spoke up.

Azjah smiled, “the wavelength depends on what you are doing. Sometimes long ones are very good, and other times not. And as for lasers, well, they are tools we use in my home world. Different colored lasers have different purposes.” At this point she realized that Corlanthis had absolutely no idea of just how much power could be generated by a laser, even though he did have some initiation into technology by living in RhyDin. He was, however, quickly becoming lost. His analogy between hammers and screwdrivers with regard to wavelengths was clear enough to convince her that it was time to change the subject.

She smiled, “well, perhaps a better analogy would be a rainbow Cor. The way white light gets broken into the colors of the rainbow is because the colors are different wave lengths. These minerals work in very specific wavelengths of light rather than every wavelength like sun light is composed of.

His face lit with understanding then, “Ah! So lasers are like colored light, and the minerals you found are better for creating certain kinds than other minerals?”

Azjah nodded, “these minerals only transmit one wavelength, and that wavelength gives the laser a great deal of energy. So it’s about the purity of the minerals and their ability to transmit the desired wavelength. Like getting a red only light bulb, or a blue only one, if that’s what you wanted.” She hoped that made some sense to him.

He canted his head, “the purer they are the stronger the… ah… laser of the desired wave… er… color?”

“Precisely,” she told him, but did not add that this particular laser was for weapons research.

He nodded as the discussion came full circle, “and this particular mineral that you found was pure enough to make some especially powerful lasers… okay, so now I know why they’re valuable… more or less.”

Azjah took a long sip of the coffee and shook her head slightly, “but this kind of prevalence in any formation is simply unheard of.” Her voice trailed off as she continued to ponder the implications. Then her eyes met his, “Yes Cor, but more than that, it would make the construction of more of these particular lasers much more economically feasible.”

Rena spoke up then, “Why? Maybe they weren’t meant to be found until now.”

Corlanthis glanced at her with a slightly raised brow, “You’re suggesting a guiding hand in the finding of them?”

As Rena held both of their attention, she continued, “Why not? Folks are always saying things happen for a reason, and in good time.”
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Azjah considered her idea a moment, “I suppose like any economic deposit it takes a certain amount of luck to unearth new finds, but within the Empire, we’ve never found the likes before now.” Azjah didn’t believe in deity intervention, but certainly many people would see it as a gift.

Rena’s gaze met and held Azjah’s, “You are having problems with the… geez… the name slips my mind now,” she muttered as she struggled to remember the name of the aggressors in Lacerta. Azjah supplied the name and she nodded, “Yeah. I’m not saying everything is fated, but there has to be a guiding hand somewhere too.”

Corlanthis evoked his slightly cynical side, “I dunno. It’s hard to believe in things like fate or destiny or even Gods and the like when you’re likely to encounter them just wandering around the city.”

Azjah gave him a quick smile, “well, our technologically bent society doesn’t have a strong belief system when it comes to deities.”

Rena shrugged, “every invention started somewhere, and they get improved on every day.”

Azjah chuckled in agreement. “Well, at any rate, it’s a mystery that we will be researching, and hopefully figuring out how the temperatures and pressures were formed so we know what to look for on other locations.” The idea of being able to find this rare mineral more easily tantalized Azjah’s thoughts. Such a discovery capable of predicting where to mine would reap benefits that boggled the mind.

Corlanthis grew pensive, “is there any danger that word of your discovery might spread and others will try to take the site?”

Azjah nodded, “absolutely. And if I thought anyone here could reach Pyxis alpha, I would not have said a word.” She already had security stationed on the planet, but word of this kind of find to the wrong technological contact could bring trouble in a hurry.

As the trio talked, the door swung open and admitted a retired soldier wearing a deep gray, wool coat. His boots came to his knees, and as he stepped through the doors, he brushed his dark hair away from his eyes. Once inside, he pulled the door closed behind himself and rubbed his hands together as he blew on them to warm the chill from his digits as he slowly made his way toward the bar with the expression of someone who wanted something hot to drink on a chill and blustery day. Azjah sipped her coffee as she took note of the stranger, “Coffee’s on if you want some.”

Corlanthis smiled, “you’re safe from me. Far as I know, it could be another city just down the road.” Then his attention wandered toward the soldier as he greeted the man and offered to get him something to drink.

He tilted his head slightly and a charming smile came to his features, “thank you, m’lady. I think that’s exactly what I be needin’ right about now.”

Azjah gave a soft chuckle to Corlanthis, “it’s a might further than that.” She then motioned toward Corlanthis for the newcomer’s benefit, “He’s the angel that made the coffee.”

The cold man looked directly at Corlanthis then, “thank you sir. Very kind of you. I’ll just help myself it that’s permitted.”

Cor laughed slightly, “feel free friend. It’s all I’m doing, I don’t work here.”

Azjah picked up the pitcher of coffee and refilled her own cup as she turned her gaze back toward Rena, “as for the Cepheans… I HOPE my suspicions are wrong about who is selling to them, because it would mean there is a competing market for these minerals. A black market competition at that.”

Rena lifted a brow, “How many times have they been wrong, Azjah?”
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

The Marchioness gently blew on the hot surface of her coffee as she considered the question in all earnestness. “Enough times Rena… one of my hunches was wrong and nearly got you killed.” Then in a barely audible whisper she added, “and did get Bernhard killed.”

She heard both comments, “I’m here, aren’t I?”

The newcomer grinned at Cor, “It’s been a long time since I’ve been here, so I don’t want to offend.” He made his way toward the fresh coffee and picked up the pot to pour a mug full of the steaming liquid. “I’m Garry, Garry Bradstreet.” He offered a hand to Corlanthis.

Azjah lifted her pale blue eyes to meet Garry’s own, “Good day to you Mr. Bradstreet. I am Azjah Danaan Caer.” She had never seen the man in town, yet he had told Corlanthis that it had been a long time since his last visit. She then gave Rena a wry nod, “yes, this time.”

Mr. Bradstreet’s smile accompanied a slight bow at the introduction, “I’m very pleased to meet you.”

Azjah motioned toward an empty seat, “Won’t you have a seat Mr. Bradstreet?”

Corlanthis introduced himself as well, and Rena gave a soft chuckle, “there is going to be a next time?”

Azjah gave a quick wink to Rena, “how adventurous are you?”

Garry’s chuckle was warm and drew Azjah’s attention once more as he sat down next to her, “I don’t ever remember this Inn being nearly this friendly.”

Azjah took a tentative sip of the hot coffee and glanced around the busy Inn. “It depends an awful lot on the day and the attendance Mr. Bradstreet, but as you can see, there are some open to conviviality.”

Rena nodded at Garry and introduced herself, then gave Azjah a quixotic nod, “hey, you can’t take me on that ship of yours only once.”

Azjah gave her a small smile, “be careful Rena, I might take you up on that offer. And who knows what mischance I will wind you up in the middle of next.”

Garry leaned on the bar top, warming his hands around the cup her held, “then it’s my good fortune to have come in today.” He listened intently to the conversation, “a ship? Are you a sailor?”

Azjah turned her eyes on Garry again, “Have you been long in RhyDin Mr. Bradstreet? I do not recall having met you on the streets previously.” His question registered and she smiled, “A sailer between the stars you might say.”

Rena grinned a bit as she lifted her mug for a drink, “my bags are packed.”

Azjah laughed, despite the last trip, Rena seemed more than ready to pack up and depart again. “Pyxis might be a bit warm for you after St. Alban’s Rena.”

He curled cold fingers around the mug he held, “I had passed through here several years ago when few were in the Inn, and those who were left me unimpressed.” At her admission to sailing the stars, his brow lifted, “a ship to the stars?”

Azjah’s pale brow lifted hearing Garry’s comment, “discernment in one’s company is always a good idea. And now you have returned for pleasure or business? If I may inquire?” She took a long sip of the coffee, “Yes, several ships to the stars actually, but only one is meant for comfortable flight. The others are for cargo.”

His eyes moved between Rena and Azjah as he ran a finger over the rim of the cup as he thought, “I guess you could say it’s for business. Just looking for a job and a way to keep fed and warm.”

Simultaneously Rena and Azjah asked him what he did, and what kind of job he sought.

An slight smirk played along his lips, “well, one that pays.”

Azjah gave a soft chuckle and tried very hard not to cough on her coffee, “And for what expertise would you seek recompense.”

Rena laughed too, “that narrows it down a bit.”

Garry had the appearance of someone struggling to maintain a neutral demeanor as he said, “I was an officer in the military, but that doesn’t mean I haven’t been well trained in the arts and sciences. I’m not afraid to do hard work. I can do about anything, and most I can actually do well.”

Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Azjah’s gaze slid toward Cor, busily working behind the bar after telling everyone that he didn’t work there, she chuckled, “Cor? I thought you didn’t work here?” That distraction bought her enough time to rein in her humor. She then turned back to Garry, “Military background, and what science did you favor?” She didn’t have a need for military employees, but perhaps she could get Duke Sorwind to take him if needed.

Corlanthis was raptly watching a woman step out from what appeared to be a flower that had appeared in the Inn, “hmm? Oh! No, I don’t. Don’t tell Panther.” He then winked at the Marchioness.

Azjah laughed softly at Corlanthis’ reply, “Our secret it is.” But Rena informed him that she would require a bribe to maintain her silence to the proprietor.

Garry seemed rather taken with Rena as he smiled at her.

Rena commented that there certainly were a lot of military folks coming out of the woodwork lately and Azjah glanced between Rena and Mr. Bradstreet before informing Garry that they had just been discussing mineralogy if he had any interest in the subject.

Garry gave her a slightly embarrassed grin, leaning in closer to the Marchioness before whispering, “lepidoptery.”

Azjah quirked a pale brow at him, “Butterflies?” She was astonished.

He cracked up with hearty laughter, ‘You know!” He nearly spilled his coffee as he sought to quell his mirth. “Now I’m truly embarrassed. I thought you’d think it had to do with wild animals.”

Azjah shook her head slightly, “I do hope you’re not pinning those lovely creatures on boards in some stuffy room where others cannot enjoy them?” She chuckled then, “Yes, I do know what Lepidoptery is.”

Garry was still trying to stop laughing, “I’m sorry,” his hand upon his chest as he spoke, “actually, that was just a hobby when I was a boy. And I happen to know a lot about mineralogy. I’m a regular rock hound.”

She studied the man closely, “this discussion was along the lines of economic deposits of a rare mineral in a metamorphic environment.” She tossed that out there to see if he was really a ‘rock hound’ as he stated, or if it was a sham.

Garry raised a brow, “this job involves a hard had and a pick?”

Azjah shook her head negatively, “right now, it’s more along the lines of deep core sampling.”

He thought a moment, “like oil drilling?”

She continued to watch Garry. Perhaps sending him to Lacerta for that job could be amended. “Most oil cores don’t go as deeply as we are, but the concept of core sampling is the same.”

Garry tapped his fingers on the rim of his coffee cup as he thought, “would this core sampling be done in another star system?”

Azjah gave him a very small affirmative nod. ‘Very good’ she thought. The man had several neurons connected and in working order it seemed.

Garry nodded, looking into his nearly empty cup of coffee, then very softly said, “I’ve always wanted to get off this planet.”

Azjah sipped her coffee, “My trips tend to be hard on people Mr. Bradstreet, as Rena here can attest.”

Garry glanced at Rena, wondering if she would be going along as well, then he lifted a steady gaze back to Azjah, “I can handle a lot Azjah. I would not be opposed to going if you would wish to try me.”

Rena shrugged at his question, “it’s her trip.”
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

She chuckled at Rena’s response and asked her if that meant that another trip was not beyond the realm of possibilities. Azjah’s mind was turning over possibilities with this easy going male before her, “what kind of security clearance did you have in your previous life?”

Garry took on a serious demeanor now, “I was a major in the army, security and intelligence division, so my clearance was substantial.”

Substantial could mean a great many things and Azjah was careful to note that he never did truly answer her question. “Would you have any objections to being bound to security agreements now, Mr. Bradstreet?”

He met her gaze levelly, “you wish an NDA?”

She would need more than just a non-disclosure agreement for the work that would be done on Pyxis. “An NDA, and a contract Mr. Bradstreet. All dependent, of course, upon background check approvals.” She wondered just how much truth they would find in the background check, and how much camouflage

Garry kept his opinion of Azjah to himself, but it had become very apparent to him that she knew a lot more than just butterflies. “An NDA and a contract, yeah, I could do that.” He wondered what kind of contract she had in mind, until it was signed, he was still free to walk away.

Azjah nodded, “very well Mr. Bradstreet, if you would be so kind as to come to Drachen Walde Industries, over on the south east side of town and ask for Charlotte. She will have paperwork for you to fill out.” She then turned to Rena, “will you be able to leave the school or will you have to wait for semester to end?” She didn’t want to pull Rena away from the job she had at the Academy, and she could always have Rena delivered another time should the woman truly wish to go along.

Rena was mainly listening, as she is wont to do more often than not, “I can leave, Art made me get an assistant.”

Garry set his now empty cup down onto the bar, “I’ll be there later this afternoon.”

Azjah smiled at Rena, “Well, if you don’t mind hot weather Rena.” She crossed her legs where she sat, “wonderful. Have you any experience with ultramafic mineralogy?”

Rena gave a soft chuckle, “just what will I be doing on this trip? And I prefer hot weather.”

Garry shrugged, “as in periodite intrusions?”

Azjah sipped the rapidly cooling coffee, “more along the lines of granophyr and chromatite mineralogy.”

He looked at Rena and smiled, as though knowing she was coming along was somehow comforting to him, “I’ll have to read up on it, but that should be no problem.”

Azjah was telling him that the concepts were the same, and the details of the mineralogy would be easily remedied. She hadn’t told him precisely what minerals they were looking for, so even if he was not legit, he couldn’t take tales back to anyone regarding the find on Pyxis.

About then, Chris Coalwood arrived and approached the table, requesting a word with Rena, who excused herself and led him to an empty table further from the group.

Garry then stood, “well, I better be on my way. I’m looking forward to our business venture.”

Azjah canted her head at that, then gave him a regal incline of her head, “I look forward to our next meeting Mr. Bradstreet.”

He requested that she call him Garry, but it was not like her to jump to such familiarities with newly met people, although she had long ago learned that RhyDin did not stand on formalities and proper titles. He picked up his coat and left as she sipped her coffee in deep thought.

Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Corlanthis spoke then and interrupted her reveries “I have to duel Tareth, any suggestions?” He was clearly nervous about facing the well known gentleman that Azjah too had great respect for ever since they dueled and spoke afterwards about weapons and the finer points of different makes.

The minstrel made light of the match, telling Cor that he’d dueled the man and won, and Azjah simply said what everyone knew, that Tareth Thorn was very talented in a fight. He had to be, given his profession. It was the night of that duel that Azjah had come to an agreement with Mr. Thorn to manufacture his very special explosives.

Rena’s conversation with Chris ended and she wandered back to the bar, musing quietly, ‘interesting’. Then she gave Azjah her attention, “so what will my job on this trip involve?”

Azjah glanced at Rena, who always remained distant on certain levels, “well, I suspect mostly records keeping and keeping an eye on who comes and goes. We’ll need to make sure samples are prepared and shipped without drawing too much attention.” She nodded at that, and Azjah continued, “but perhaps you have alternative suggestions for how best to direct your time and talents?”

She shrugged, “I’ll have to think about it. My confidence in myself isn’t all that high of late.” Then she gave Azjah a shrewd glance, “You think Garry will work out?”

Azjah toyed with the cup that was nearly empty, “his background check should give an indicator. He’s confident in his abilities, now the question is does he have a reason to be confident. What did you think?”

Corlanthis grinned, “If he was just going along to sound knowledgeable, he was doing a better job than I was.” Then he sauntered back to his stool behind the bar.

Azjah smiled at Corlanthis before regarding Rena, “well, we all suffer from moments of self doubt and self deprecations. How do you feel about keeping records and tabs on who’s onsite?”

She reached for her mug, then frowned at it, “I’m good with that,” she said as she headed for a refill on the coffee.

Azjah toyed with her own cup, “I’m going to find your strengths if it kills me Rena.” When she chuckled and wished Azjah good luck in her quest, Azjah simply smiled, “I’m tenacious that way.”

Rena’s eyes lifted, “I know.” Then she refilled her cup and took a sip.

Cor was speaking to someone else, but his comment brought a smile and a soft chuckle when he said somewhat dryly, “If AJ wants to have a baby, I’m sure she and Philippe will figure out how to manage one. If they haven’t already.” Then he muttered low, “people mated like rabbits in this town.”

Azjah gave a quiet chuckle hearing him, and then glanced at Rena, “it would be nice to have access to the computers on Rigel for this search.” She fell into silent musing for several long moments, the looked at her again, “no initial feelings about Mr. Bradstreet then Rena?”

“He seems alright,” she said rather noncommittally before adding that she’d seen him around RhyDin before. “But, you shall see what your report says.”.

Azjah nodded, “he said military intelligence, yet he’s got knowledge of mineralogy and geology. Interesting combination.” She sipped the cold coffee with a grimace, “Yes, although with an intelligence background, ferreting out reality from planted information will be a challenge.”

Without the access to the main computers on Rigel, Azjah was pondering just how many databases she could gain information from, “Could you dig into your resources through the school Rena?” While it wasn’t likely that the school had better access than Gabriel could get for her, it was wiser to check to be certain.

She nodded, “I’ll try another way first.”

Cor spoke up then, “It does seem to stretch the bounds of coincidence that he should show up during our conversation, doesn’t it?”

Azjah nodded, as did Rena. “Looking for work, has just the kind of experience I can make use of, show up here, today…. Do you believe in coincidence?”

Cor chuckled, “in this city? Not hardly! Though anything is possible.”

The Marchioness chuckled, “I’ve always believed that if it’s too good to be true, it usually isn’t what you expect.” And Mr. Bradstreet was certainly too good to be true… she shook her head. She glanced at the clock and began packing up her book, “if you will excuse me Rena? Cor? I need to let Charlotte know he’s coming.” She then headed out the door and flipped open the cell phone to call Charlotte.

Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

"And so, that in a nutshell is how I met Mr. Bradstreet."

Azjah sipped the scotch as Gabriel evaluated what he'd just heard.

"I will begin a background search immediately. Whether it was simply fortuitous happenstance, or a plant, we will not know for some time."

Gabriel rose and gave her a brief bow before vanishing from the room.

Azjah sat on the chaise with the scotch glass cradled in both hands as she stared into the flames of the fire. Something about a fire always soothed her and allowed her to relax.

Sometime later, Dyson plucked the glass from her fingers and laid a light silk throw over her as she slept.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Garry Bradstreet
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Longshoreman, City Guard
431.54 Silver Crowns
[ Donate ]

Items
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:44 am Post subject:

-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

Garry picked up the pen and signed the register: Garry Bradstreet

He then followed the receptionist up to the second floor and to the left, taking in all the surroundings and people working. Garry walked in and greeted Charlotte Pearson with a “Good afternoon,” and a “Thank you” when she asked him to sit.

He nodded and smiled, “I have no problems with signing any of those.”

When the NDA form was taken from a file and handed it to him, he looked it over. It had the customary naming of both parties, listing items considered covered by the NDA, the Intellectual Property Rights, on and on. It was good, but pretty standard as most are. He signed the last page and printed his name on the appropriate lines.

Garry Bradstreet

Garry Bradstreet

“Okay, that’s one down. Do you have the contract ready?”

He looked about the office, always interested in what could be seen.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Employed

Charlotte made note of the impeccable manners as he signed the NDA, then she handed him the Contract for review as his gaze slid over her office space.

The desk itself was richly carved from what appeared to be mahogany wood. It was large enough to put a generous amount of personal space between Charlotte and anyone visiting her office. The carpet beneath the desk was an ornate Aubusson in a myriad of bright colors to offset the dark shade of the wood. The chairs were upholstered in a dusty blue moiré fabric, but the legs and arm rests were of the same rich mahogany wood. On either side of the desk the walls were floor to ceiling books and periodicals pertaining to legal, tax, and other business requirements for not only RhyDinian compliance, but for all customer based legal requirements.

There was a large window directly behind the desk that overlooked the front parking area of the company, but the glass itself was clearly bullet proof. A valance of the same dusty blue moiré gave the window a softer look without being frilly. In gold leaf frames on the wall behind him were photos from space of the Rigelian system and it's binary stars Rigel alpha and Rigel beta in the constellation commonly called 'Orion', and an enhanced image of the Crab Nebula, titled simply M1 NGC 1952.

"The business of Drachen Walde Industries, Mr. Bradstreet, is weapons." She watched him for any signs of surprise before continuing. "The Marchioness will expect you to spend time in the practice range to make yourself familiar with all of the products of the company despite the fact that once hired, you will be working on the project on Pyxis. A Drachen Walde employee is required to carry at all times." There in the bullet points associated with the contract was the requirement to carry a minimum calibre personal weapon.

The man's military uniform suggested that he was not a stranger to weaponry and she found herself curiously wondering just how good a marksman he might be.

As he read over the contract, she pulled a key from her desk and laid it on the desk at her left hand after recording the number stamped into the key.

"Your temporary office, Mr. Bradstreet. You will be on a six month contract pending final confirmation of your background check. In the mean time, while you are here in RhyDin, you may make use of the range, and have a place to begin preparations for Pyxis. Your initial salary is stated in your contract."

She rose after taking the contract from him, "We will go to security to get your finger and palm prints as most locks in this building, as well as on the Star Dragon operate on biometrics." She stepped toward the door way, "After you complete that, I will show you to your office and I am certain by then the Marchioness will wish to see you."

She led him to the first floor where the security officer was introduced as Eoin. While they remained on the first floor, a silver Mc Laren pulled into the parking lot, taking the space reserved for the Marchioness.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Garry Bradstreet
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Garry Bradstreet »

Garry was quite impressed with the décor of the room. It spoke of a company that successful, well-run, and very good at doing whatever it was that they did. He looked at the photos on the wall, and while he found them fascinating, he realized that he really needed to study astronomy and stellar systems. He had a lot of work ahead of him, but he was looking forward to the challenge.

Whether he outwardly showed it or not, he was quite surprised that Drachen Walde Industries business was in weapons. Of course, that would indeed explain the opulence of the offices. Weapons were always good business. They were also something that he was quite good at handling. He looked at the bullet point in the contract that stated he would be required to carry a minimum caliber personal weapon, and he gave a slight nod. “That will be no problem,” he said softly. Garry had actually considered strapping a holstered weapon to his body before coming to the interview, but reconsidered the wisdom of that.

Garry read the contract carefully and found the salary more than sufficient. It was his nature to be careful – it kept him alive. When he had finished reading he picked up the pen and signed the contract. Garry then followed Charlotte to the first floor to go though the security procedures. He knew the standard procedures and precautions, so he was very accommodating with Eoin and the others that he met.

He still couldn’t help but wonder if he would see Azjah Caer while he was here.

Return to “Palazzo Drachen Walde”