Transplanted Rigelian and her adventures in the Nexus world of RhyDin and
beyond.

Moderator: Azjah von Drachen Walde

Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Teas n Tomes

Post by Azjah von Drachen Walde »

The new shop Tea’s n Tomes had opened, and I went there to get a bite to eat and read up on the new nanocoatings that will be a godsend for spacecraft. As I sat in the balcony reading, I heard the door chime below and looked down to find Rena moving inside. She spotted me in the balcony and then looked around, “nice place here.”

I nodded, “I find it a nice respite. The cheesecake is very good.”

She chuckles, “Never had a taste for cheesecake.” Then she surveyed the lower level briefly, “first time I’ve been here.”

I smiled, “ah, well, the lemon pound cake was the favorite of Mr. Savage yesterday.”

She nodded, “now that I can get into.” She smiled as she moved toward the counter and requested a slice of the lemon cake. Then glancing my direction, “would you like a slice of cheesecake?”

I looked up from my book again, “that would be lovely.” She proceeded to order me a slice of the excellent confection, and paid for both items. “Care to join me then Rena?” It was not usual that Rena and I shared time together beyond Twilight Isle, but today she seemed to be in the mood for company. She brought both slices up the stairs and placed the cheesecake in front of me before taking a seat across the small table from me. She leaned back into her chair and crossed her legs.

I lay the book down beside me, “I confess a weakness for a good cheesecake. Thank you. And so how are you doing?”

She smiled, “I prefer chocolate cake myself. And you are welcome.”

I picked up the fork and broke off a bite, “I think this place will become popular. Good food, and fine books to read at one’s leisure. Yesterday the shop was visited by the novelist who recently moved to town.” I slid the bite into my mouth and closed my eyes in appreciation of the exceptional flavor and texture of the cheesecake.

Rena seemed to ponder my query, and she bought a bit of time by taking a bite of the lemon cake before she responded, “I'm doing good. Val made a brief visit into town the other day...and I'm getting used to the fact that one who called himself a friend seems to want to not spend time with me anymore. Ah...who is that?”

I nodded, “I'm glad to hear that Val is doing better. Will he have a long convalescence, or is he pretty well back on his feet?” I gave her a wry smile as she said a friend seemed to no longer be one, “One has to be wary of those proclaiming themselves friends. Pressure seems to change some people's minds at bad times.” I took a sip of the tangerine tea, “the gentleman’s name is Wil Savage. He writes romance novels, believe it or not.”

She nodded, “He’s been laid up a month now, it will probably take a few more weeks, but knowing him, he will push it and relapse.” Then she added, “Men can be so stubborn.”

I gave a quiet laugh, “yes, men do tend to be stubborn.” I had learned that at a very early age, and Klinton had confirmed it many times over.

She nodded, “he and Paige used to date, I believe.”

I canted my head, “Paige?” I had never heard of anyone called Paige.

Rena nodded, “PJ, I always called her Paige to piss her off.” She chuckled softly.

“Ah, the model who likes to drink profusely?” PJ I knew, but could not recall ever hearing what PJ had stood for. And PJ has a reputation in RhyDin that is impossible to ignore.

“That’s her,” Rena agreed, nodding before she took another bite of the cake. “It is good.”

I smiled and took another bite, “they found a fine baker for here.” Then I glanced at Rena, “Klinton had a ‘thing’ for PJ as I recall.”

She gave me a slight frown, “I know.” When I told Rena that I didn’t think Klinton had ever gotten over PJ, she asked me “why do you say that?”

Not that it mattered any more, and I gave myself a mental shake, “because when ever she walked in, his attention wandered.”

Rena nodded slowly, “I know the feeling.”
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Baroness von Drachen Walde
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

It was time to change the subject, and I picked up the tea cup I had been enjoying, “how are things at the school?”

“Back logged,” she chuckled. “I’ve had to play catch up. Mid terms are done though, so it’s only a few more weeks until the end of the semester, then it’s starting all over again.”

I nodded, “then you will have some time to spend with Val.” But she didn’t seem to want to talk about Val. I canted my head slightly as I broke off another bit of cheesecake, “You don’t sound as though that’s a good thing, or am I misunderstanding?” She then asked me if I’d heard anything from Klinton yet. “No, no word. I had a long talk with Koy... she didn't say it, but her expression told me not to hang onto hope overly long.” It seems an odd thing to be talking about Klinton being missing when it was my relationship with Klinton that had initially caused Rena and I not to get along.

She gave a soft sigh, “it’s just going to take some time. So much has happened in the past few months,” she observed regarding Val, and I had to agree, but I did wish her smoother sailing now that Val was back on the road to recovery.

Rena glanced at me when I told her about Koy, “She did, when Matt went missing.”

I laid the fork on the plate and slid it to the right, “Yes, but her first husband went missing and he never did return.” Rena did not know that Koy had been married previously, and I nodded, “Yes, she was. Like I said though, she didn’t say anything, but her expression spoke volumes. Especially when I told her that no wreckage has been found yet.”

Rena brightened, “which means it’s still intact, right?”

I shook my head, “well, either it’s just that the beacon is malfunctioning, or we haven’t found the crash site, if there even is one.” If the beacon were simply malfunctioning, Klinton should have found a space port and used other means of communicating with us, but if he’s crashed, he could be anywhere, and we may never find the wreckage. And then if he’d flown too close to a star, or a black hole, we never will find a trace of what happened to him. It’s a horrible sensation to sit here and wait and wonder.

Rena told me to think positively, and I took a long sip of the tea, “I am trying, but it has been a long while.” I debated telling her that my attorneys are pushing for me to file for a death certificate, and in the end, I did share that with her. She wanted to know if I was going to do that, and I shook my head, “not yet. It’s only been a year.” A year. That is a very long time to not know.

Rena gave me a long look, “I know we haven’t been the closest of friends, but whenever you need to talk… or just company…” her voice trailed off and I glanced into her eyes and thanked her for the offer. I do appreciate it, and I apologized for getting off on the wrong foot with her. She shrugged, “it wasn’t your fault.”

I sipped the tea, “Just so you know, when I met Klinton, I didn’t know he was seeing you Rena. I would not have poached had I known.” She shook her head and told me that the relationship must not have meant much to Klinton if his head was turned that fast, and then she confided that he’d told her later that he had jumped into their relationship because he thought she could help him get over Paige.

With that revelation, I rose as I needed a refill on my tea and I headed down the stairs to get one for us both. It gave me a moment to think about what she’d said, and I realized that he’d never gotten over the model. When I returned, I set the cup down before Rena, “I do not believe he will ever get over Paige.”

As I sat down, I asked her if she’d met the author, Mr. Savage. She told me that she had not formally met him, and I told her that we had only spoken briefly. She nodded, “He was a pilot of some kind, I believe.”

I glanced at her over the cup of cranberry tea, “He did not sai, it was simply a brief meeting, but I am glad to see the shop will be having authors as guests.”

Rena nodded, “he had something to do with space when he was seeing Paige. I’ll have to come around more.”

That surprised me. Was there any man alive who had not been with the model? We allowed our conversation to drift toward the selection of books in the shop, and Rena said there were more books here than in her own library. I chuckled, she must have a very large personal library! I laid my own book onto the table, “Nanotechnology and Coatings.” She finished the tea and cake and looked at the book’s title with a smile, “bedside reading, huh?”
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

I chuckled, “no, these new coatings are self healing, and my star ships could benefit from that kind of protection.” The damage inflicted on the ships from dust particles in space requires constant maintenance on the hulls. A self healing coating would help reduce the costs associated with that upkeep. So my research is strictly because I’m looking for ways to keep my costs down.

She chuckled softly, “you still flying back and forth from here to where ever you were flying off to?” I nodded and told her that we had just shuttled more communications equipment to Lacerta, and she asked me why.

I lifted a brow slightly, “I’ve a commitment to the colonies there, and I’m setting up observation and communications to keep tabs on the Cepheans.” She did not know who the Cepheans were, so I tried to explain, “they are a race of brutal Neanderthals who are planning to invade Lacerta. Since Lacerta is a colony of Rigel, I owe service to the Kaiser.

She nodded thoughtfully, “I hope things go well then, for you and them. Don’t know how much I can do, but any help I can do is willingly offered.”

I thanked her for the offer, “they are seriously outnumbered, and out gunned, but we will do what we can to prevent their invasion.” Then I grinned at her, “How are you at watching satellite feeds?” Not that I expected her to board one of my ships and spend any time in the frozen wastelands of Lacerta, but I could tease about it.

She called my bluff though and told me to explain what she would be looking for. I studied her a long moment, “we’re watching for movement of the Cephean fleet. They’re massed in striking distance of Lacerta, but they’ll have to come closer to land their forces.” She nodded slowly and I continued, “the complication is that the colonists left Rigel to get away form technology and return to a ‘simpler’ life. They hate the presence of my weapons and communication equipment.

She asked me if we could disguise the equipment so that the Lacertians wouldn’t know it was there. “I’ve put the communications station in the arctic archipelago where there are no settlers, but the weapons, no, we have to have them where they can protect the major population centers.”

She nodded, but remained convinced that something could be done to disguise the weapons. I told her that we are keeping as low a profile as we can and she took a sip of her tea, “they will come around when they realize you are helping them.”

I chuckled, she’d never met our stubborn brethren. “Someone suggested I use magic to hide things, but the Lacertians abhor magic even more than technology.”

She laughed, “as do some folks around here.”

I smiled, “perhaps, but the hard core settlers won’t even allow man made products on their land. Everything has to be ‘natural’. She shook her head and suggested that it sounded as though we were up against a brick wall so to speak, and I have to agree. “Yes, all so that the Kaiser can hang onto his colony.” This was all about land and hard won gains that my Kaiser did not want to lose.

Rena asked if I was taking this all on myself, and I smiled, “we have help, but since I have the license for weapons, I’m running rather crazy at the moment.” Oh, the Kaiser has his hand in all of this, and the military aspect is being run by people who know much more about military tactics and strategies than I do. No, my role is simply to provide the munitions and support for the military.

She inquired whether there were any moons or asteroids surrounding the planet, and there are 2 moons, but the Cepheans have set up a blockade and getting to them would be nearly impossible. “I don’t know who sold the technology to them, but it’s way too advanced for what the Cepheans SHOULD have access to,” I explained to her. She didn’t know anything about the Cepheans, but the ships and weapons they’ve displayed so far are much more advanced than anything on their home world. This is not their technology that Lacerta is facing. That worries me.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

She asked me if there were any satellites I could put into space, and then asked if I knew who might be backing the Cepheans. “We have several satellites launched, that’s what needs monitoring in the archipelago. The technology looks to be a cross between Pyxian and Algenebian, but who actually sold it to them, no, I have no idea.” Not that it matters right this moment, but sooner or later we will need to know who armed them.

She nodded thoughtfully and said, “but I think you keep working on it and someone will pop to mind.”

I agreed, “yes, but the cat’s out of the bag now so to speak. We can deal with the dealer after we get them out of Lacertian space.” She frowned slightly and I continued, “once this is over, I’ll be leaving for Auriga for a bit.” The tea that I sipped suddenly tasted bitter.

Rena inquired if I would be vacationing and I shook my head no, “I think it’s to take Dominik and Gabriel to die.” She seemed saddened by that and said as much, so I continued, “I’ve tried to keep Gabriel occupied, but it’s not enough. And Dominik I don’t know beyond that he simply says he is old.”

We changed the subject as a man came in whom neither of us knew. We spoke about her library, which she said did not contain so much technology material as the new shop, and I confessed that my small library was predominantly technical with a fair bit of astronomy and a bit of horticulture.

Time flew and soon the sun was beginning to dip toward the horizon. I excused myself and headed for the space port. Gabriel, Dominik and I had a flight window to catch.

Several hours later, I was back at the new shop. Gabriel had asked me to delay leaving as he had something very important to do. I could not deny him, and so I had the evening free now.

Rena also returned, as though she had been wandering around town and was reticent to go back to her temporary rooms since she’d left the Ranch. She had noticed a chocolate cake in the display case earlier, and now she decided it was time to try a bit it. I heard her order a slice of the cake, requesting that it be a bit larger than normal, and then she ordered a mug of tea before paying for it and moving to a table in the shadows.

I walked through the doors of the shop, reading a document supplied by the observers on Lacerta. I heard Rena chuckle as she spotted me, “do you always to that?”

I gave a startled glance around the shop before finding the source of the voice sitting at a table in the shadows, “do what?”

“Have your nose in a document or a book?”

I could feel my cheeks color slightly, “lately it does seem that way.” I noticed the chocolate cake, “came back to try the chocolate cake this evening I see?” She nodded and took another bite while I perused the bakery case before me. On the top shelf I found a bit of decadence that I had not seen in a long time, “I’d like to try the éclair and a cup of tangerine tea.” The girl behind the counter supplied me with the goodies and I moved toward Rena’s table, “may I?” As she acceded to my request, I settled onto a chair and laid the documents down beside me.

She lifted her mug to take a drink, “when is lift off? I was under the impression you were leaving.”

I nodded, “we delayed until tomorrow’s window. Gabriel needed to do something before we leave. I’m not certain what he’s up to, but he rarely asks for a delay.”
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

She cut off another bite of the cake, “what time is that?”

As I told her that our lift off window was between 4:40 and 5:10 PM, Topaz stepped through the doors. Rena glanced at the door as the bell jingled. I cut off a small section of the éclair before following her gaze, “Ah, good evening Topaz.” Then glanced at Rena, who had observed that it was not a very large window, “no, but when you consider the impact of the vector and how far afield you could be sent if you left outside of that window, you learn to appreciate how big it really is.”

Rena nodded again, “so if you miss it, something is out of line and it throws something off?”

I smiled, “You can correct the vector of course, but it wastes time and fuel.” The costs associated with missing your window make it very undesirable to miss your launch times. She nodded but didn’t look convinced, so I tried to explain further, “picture a pin cushion and the different directions each pin points toward, if you are in the wrong place, you would go off in a direction you don’t necessarily want to go.” I savored the bite of éclair, “I’ll have to be sure not to tell Andre about this place.” Rena gave me a quick laugh before asking who Andre is. I gave her a conspiratorial grin, “my personal chef, and he’s rather…. Ahhh, shall we say, opinionated about his cooking?”

Topaz wandered to a set of shelves and searched for something in particular based on her focus.

A bit later, another woman walked into the shop. She seemed slightly uneasy as she ordered a cup of elderberry tea. She sat down quietly, but seemed still to be ill at ease.

Rena glanced toward the door and a quick frown crossed her features, which she quickly erased and I nibbled on another bit of the éclair. Moments later, the young woman rose and approached our table, speaking softly to Rena, “come talk with me a moment?”

I glanced at the woman a moment, and Rena rose, “this won’t take long.” I nodded and took a sip of the hot tea.

Rena and the woman stood a few meters away speaking quietly and so I glanced at Topaz, who had found a book of interest. I motioned to an empty chair and she brought her book and sat down, “I didn’t think to find you here,” Topaz told me.

I shrugged faintly, “we were going to leave, but Gabriel asked for a one day delay.” She gave me a puzzled look and asked if he mentioned why he wanted the delay. I shook my head, “no, he did not, but if he’s asking, it must be important.” I have never known him to make a pointless request. But then too, this was not adding up because he would not tell me the purpose for the delay.

Abruptly in a non sequitur, Topaz blurted, “he killed one of those witches once.” I lifted a brow at her, clearly puzzled by her shift of topics, “they are not usually all that destructible, but Gabriel could be delaying for another reason.”

I canted my head slightly, it hadn’t felt like Gabriel was going off to hunt the witch that was teamed up with Temhota, “witches are not the twin’s specialty, perhaps he was simply in the right place at the right time?”

She nodded, “oh, he was definitely just in time. Do you have to be away very long?”

I nibbled on the Bavarian cream a moment, “we’re shuttling equipment to Lacerta, I don’t plan on being away long.” I never know how long we will be out, and a lot depends on the Cepheans, but my intentions are not to remain away overly long.

Topaz surprised me then, “oh good. Still, RhyDin will seem smaller while you and Gabriel are off world.” She noted my surprise, “for one, I do enjoy your company, and two, while Gabriel is gone, there’s only one hunter left here.”

I set down the fork, “do you think Temhota will do something while Gabriel is away?”

She considered a moment, “should he be aware of Gabriel’s absence; that would be a perfect time. Depending on his plan of course.” She paused, “Lucien had better not get himself hurt, or it’ll be a dark day for vampires.” She gave a small grin, “perhaps I should say a very bright night.”

I frowned, “since no one knows where his lair is, it’s hard to know what’s in the plans.” Neither hunter had been able to home in on Temhota and his hiding place.

Topaz shrugged, “perhaps he will ‘invite’ one of us, then we’d all know.”
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

I glanced at the door again as the bell jingled. Rena had not yet returned from talking with the young woman, and now Soerl walked in. His demeanor was clearly one of agitation as he noted who Rena was speaking with. I looked again at Topaz, “I truly do not understand why the warning. If it was simply a warning, or was it more than we realize?”

Topaz smiled at the minstrel, who barely managed a wave back at her as he made his way toward the woman, whom Rena was just leaving. As Rena rejoined us, Topaz was saying, “it was most certainly more. It certainly has us all puzzling and imagining the worst. And from what I hear of his kind, they enjoy doing that.”

Rena pushed the cake away, apparently her desire for it had been dampened, “so, what did I miss?”

We three spoke about Gabriel’s odd request a moment longer and the propensity for vampyres to enjoy inflicting pain of any kind on their intended victims, and right now, I was feeling like an intended victim. Topaz announced that she was researching the vampyre and trying to learn everything she can about them. “It appears, despite Lucien’s best efforts, that I am destined to make the acquaintance of a few of them”. I hope she is mistaken about that. She said she was not looking forward to it, but that she wanted to be as prepared for them as she could be, and hence the study of predators. The book in her hands was one on the hunters.

I was a bit surprised by her comment, “you should be able to get everything you need to know from Lucien.”

“Lucien does not want me to practice fighting Vampires.”

I frowned, “No, of course he doesn’t, but that doesn’t mean he should deny you access to the past and the information he has.”

We talked about Topaz’s desire to fight the vampires, and I know from many years in the company of the twins how much that sort of thinking goes against everything that they are. They believe it is their duty to keep their mates safely away from any potential harm, and a vampyre is definitely a potential source of danger that would kick in Lucien’s over protective streak. Especially since vampires are dirty fighters in every sense of the word.

Topaz told us that “even if it takes me centuries, I plan on becoming as good as the twins are at shapeshifting, and better than Gabriel at detecting those vicious traps.”

I asked her if her goal was to be a shapeshifter, and she said no, that saving Lucien and Sylviana were the goals. Rena quirked a brow at Topaz, “Can’t you do that already?” We spoke about shape shifting and that segued into a discussion about the vampire Temhota.

I sipped the tea, “it would be nice to find a way to get to him before he can launch this hunt of his.” Topaz agreed, and I asked her what she knew about him.

“Very little, really. He's been to the isle several times, usually staying hidden from sight. A couple of times he met with a woman who carries a large snake almost as if it was clothing... the creature is an extension of her more than clothing, though.”

Rena sipped her tea and listened as we discussed Temhota’s plans and his clear announcement that he intended to hunt the twins. Topaz was thoughtful as she observed, “When he first showed up he was asking about 'the faerie' rather than about Lucien. Though I can't be sure, I think he followed me to the palazzo once. But only up to the gate. That was while the prince and everyone else were staying there.” That worried me. The vampire has shifted his target, or he’s re-prioritized them. And the idea that he’s been to the outskirts of the Palazzo sent chills down my spine.

I asked her if she had told Lucien about the questions the woman had been asking, as well as her suspicion that she’d been followed to the perimeter of the Palazzo. “of course,” she said, and then she hesitated, “well, not exactly. I’m so used to him knowing everything I know, I forget to make sure he didn’t miss anything. But, he missed all my water practice.” When Rena said, “poor Lucien”, Topaz gave her a puzzled look, “why do you say that?”

Rena grinned, “you told him but then you didn’t exactly tell him.”

The evening was getting late and I needed to return to the hangar. I bade the women a good evening and slipped into the night air.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

The next day, there was still no sign of Gabriel. Dominik simply remained mute, but followed where ever I went as a shadow and a pair of brilliant green eyes. As the departure window escaped again, I stormed furiously away from the hangar where the Star Dragon was still moored. I did not take the time it required to change out of the flight suit I had worn in preparation and expectation of departure and as I swung the door open to the new bakery and book store, I struggled to bring civility to my voice as I ordered a cup of tangerine tea and another éclair. The shadow behind me wavered slightly as I ignored it and searched for a comfortable chair.

Rena spoke up, “evening Azjah.”

I glanced quickly in the direction her voice had come from, and she inquired whether I had missed the window yet again. She lifted her mug and I could read in her eyes that she had made note of my unusual attire. I took a deep breath, “oh no, my flight companion has vanished. And while Dominik knows WHERE he is, he won’t tell me.” The shadow flickered briefly as I vented some of my frustration.

She quirked a brow, “Gabriel?”

I nodded, “I don’t know where he’s gone, or when he will return. All Dominik will tell me is that it’s important.” I stabbed the éclair with my fork.

Rena’s brow rose fractionally as I vented my anger on the hapless fork, “poor utensil.” She took a sip of her tea, “but does he not know this sets things back with your schedule?”

I glared at the shadow a moment, “Oh, he knows.”

She nodded as she watched me, then inquired if there was something in the shadows. I blinked, “yes, my ‘shadow’, Dominik.”

She gave me a slow nod and said Okay, but I could tell that I had not been entirely clear with my explanation. “Since Temhota made his appearance, my shadow follows me everywhere. But tonight my shadow isn’t telling me where my regular shadow has gone.” I stabbed at the éclair once more.

Rena frowned slightly, “the one Soerl was telling me about?”

I thought a moment, “Soerl was present when Temhota made his threat, but he left before Temhota made his threat on me.” She told me then that the minstrel had indeed gone right to the Arena to tell Rena to warn Topaz. I paused in the shredding of the éclair to look at her, “that is possible. I do not know where he went when he left the Inn.” She then told me that the minstrel had threatened to go after Temhota himself, and I blinked, “he would be very foolish were he to try something like that.”

Rena nodded and said that she’d told him as much already. I hope Soerl listens to her advice.

I begin to wonder if all men are witless wonders!

Our discussion drifted away from vampires and minstrels and we spoke about Val’s recovery and the threats that Russel had made to Rena. She told me that the mage had rescinded his hold over her for his safety, and I told her that Zephaereal had told me the same thing. Rena did not know about the two sentient elementals that currently reside in the Tower of Air.

I am uncertain how much to say about them because they are rather unbelievable, but as I began to tell her about them, the story began to tell itself. At one point, I could feel my face color, and she asked me what I meant when I said that they had seen more than everyone realized. Rena glanced up at me, “like?”

I bit down on my lower lip, “they have seen many of the previous keepers, and were witness to private moments for most of them.” I took a quick sip of the tea as Rena made the painful observation, “you and Brig?”

“People underestimate the elementals of these towers,” I told her. It was simply too easy to ignore their presence, just as peoples who keep servants often tend to ignore their presence and forget that they have eyes and ears and tongues. I locked my gaze onto the éclair, but closed them as she’d asked the question I didn’t want asked. My voice was barely a whisper, “Zephaaereal takes Brig’s likeness, and….” I couldn’t finish it but simply shook my head.

Rena’s voice was a mirrored whisper, “the other one yours?”

I gave her a single affirmative nod before I said, “it would seem nothing was sacred.” I hoped that was explanatory enough.

She nodded thoughtfully, and I stirred my tea in silence as Dominik resolved enough to show metallic green eyes watching us as we sat in a corner of the shop.

Rena noted his presence too, “does he ever come out of the shadows?”

I gave her a wry laugh, “when it suits him, yes.”

The shadow resolved a bit more into the form of a man, about 5’11” tall, wearing old world top hat, boots, breeches and cloak with a cravat tied immaculately at his throat, but the most startling thing about him are the eyes. They are eyes a person never forgets. Brilliant metallic green peered out from the dark shadowy form and simply watched. I glanced between Rena and Dominik. “Dominik is a Dragon Seeker.”

She nodded, “any particular dragons?”

I chuckled softly, “On Auriga, magic is considered to be “the dragon”. He is one of the last magic masters of Auriga.”

She nodded her understanding then, and I told her I should be going. I had whined long enough about my missing copilot. I told her that I wished Val a quick recovery and headed back to the hangar thinking about the things she had told me about Val and his homeland and history.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Harris' Lesson # 2

Three days! It has been three full days that Gabriel has been gone, and my temper is on a knife’s edge. As I walked through the portal onto Twilight Isle I was greeted by Topaz, who was already there and waiting. We exchanged the usual pleasantries and I settled in for a night of dueling, and hoping that there would be some traffic on the Isle to help pass the time. Topaz asked how I was doing and I caught myself giving her a churlish response, “alright, I’d be better if Gabriel would return.”

She nodded, “I’m sure it seems odd to him too, being away from you.”

That observation struck me as odd. “He’s an odd way of showing it.” But before I could consider her suggestion too much, Xanth arrived. I still have not figured out just what Xanth is, but I learned the hard way that he is not a demon as Topaz had once said and I had believed. “Good evening Xanth.”

Soon others began to filter onto the shores of the island, and then came Harris trudging through the portal all decked out for a trip to the beach. He was sporting a Hawaiian print, button down shirt, shorts, and sandals. All in all, he looked rather festive, even if the blue hair didn’t quite work with the colorful shirt he wore. He gave me a wide grin, and I heard Rena wonder aloud if someone had given Harris the wrong calendar.

Harris headed my direction, “and how is my favorite project doing this evening?”

I smiled at last and took a sip of the scotch, “your favorite project is wondering where the devil her copilot is.” There was no harm in playing along with his notion of a “project” in the guise of my person.

He rubbed his palms together before sending a wave off to both Rena and Topaz, “well, now that you’ve learned how to get down and dirty, I think it’s time for lesson two Azjah.” There was a clear light of mischief in his expression as I considered him from my chaise. When I advised him that I thought it was time for paybacks for the first lesson, he grinned wider, “I disagree.”

He announced that it was time for the second lesson, and I decided to play along. There wasn’t much he could do to me if I sat right there on the chaise and didn’t budge. “Just what lesson do you have in mind tonight?”

“Today,” he announced officiously, “You’re gonna learn how to loosen up.” With that pronouncement, he produced a rather large bottle of clear liquid from a pocket. The label had been torn away from the bottle’s face, and with a fanciful flick of his wrist, he produced a small shot glass that came to rest in his palm. “Ta da!”

I canted my head and regarded both he and the bottle, “and that bottle contains?”

He cackled, “who knows? It sure as hell isn’t water though.”

I chuckled then, “hmm, I suspect that much you know.” Harris would not make a production such as that over a bottle of water. These were spirits of some kind, but just which alcoholic beverage he had in there remained to be seen.

He gave me a toothy grin, “trust me.” When I gave him a dubious look, he added, “You know what? I’ll even make it interesting.”

I could feel both brows wing upward, “Now that’s a frightening thought Harris… you’re not known for being… shall we say… stable?” At his decree that he would make it interesting, I couldn’t resist inquiring how he thought he would accomplish that.

“Sure, how about this… I’ll get in the ring and duel and whenever I score, you take a shot. How about that?” He grinned even further.

I studied him a moment, “well, you can only score 5 points…” I glanced again at the bottle as he snickered, “per duel”. That brought my attention back to him. “And you won’t tell me what it is?”

“newp,” and he gave an assertive headshake to the negative.

Topaz spoke up then, “I’m sure Gabriel would advise against that.” But her words only served to edge me closer to accepting Harris’ offer. If Gabriel could desert me and leave instructions to Dominik that he could not tell me what this was all about, so be it.

Harris cackled, “but I guarantee you that five shots will loosen you up significantly.”

I glanced between Harris and Topaz before asking Harris if the clear liquid was “white lightning”. All he did was whistle innocently. Finally I nodded, “you have a deal Harris.” Topaz grinned and took a sip of her coffee.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Harris looked as happy as a kid in a candy store, “lookit that, you’re loosening up already. Now all I need is an opponent.” I reached over and opened the bottle to sniff the contents, and he handed me the shot glass as well. “Well, somebody volunteer already. I’m not picky!”

Xanth offered to demure since Topaz had offered either herself or Xanth as potential opponents, and I wafted my hand over the open bottle trying to get a whiff of the fumes that would emanate from the opened bottle to discern just what it was that I would be doing shots over.

Xanth agreed to engage ‘the mortal’ as he referred to most living creatures, and as I prepared to send them off to a ring, I caught a whiff of the alcohol, and it nearly slammed the air from my lungs. It was going to be truly ugly if Harris scored too many points. “Oh lord Harris… this is AWFUL!” I grimaced as I poured a dash of the liquid into the shot glass. The first one went down like fire itself, burning from lips to stomach, and then some. It was going to be crucial to avoid tasting this lighter fluid as much as possible was the first lesson of the first shot!

As the second shot was required, I choked it down, and coughed for the entire next round, which thankfully Xanth won and saved me from a third consecutive shot in a short period of time, “keep it up Xanth, that stuff is AWFUL!”

Xanth’s red eyes gleamed from the cowl of his cloak as he stated without any noticeable rancor, “I find it ironic that I am defending a woman in peril here.”

I had to smile as Harris popped an Advil into his mough as Xanth landed yet another score.

The next round saw Harris gain only an advantage and I took advantage of that to ask him, “I only have to have half when you only score an advantage, right?”

He snickered, “sure.” Where upon he promptly scored another advantage, and I was forced to top off the shot glass.

Wincing, I closed my eyes and tossed it down, and wound up coughing over it anyway. Harris displaced away form some of Xanth’s blades for another advantage, and I looked again at the bottle, “oh lord, Harris, this stuff must be 150 proof!” My head was beginning to feel light and unstable on my shoulders.

The ninth round had Xanth and Harris blasting one another with dual mage bolts, and yet another shot was required. I picked up the bottle, and nearly missed the shot glass. My hand-eye coordination was slipping and I found I had to especially focus now to get the liquid into the small glass. I set the bottle carefully on the table top before picking up the glass and taking a deep breath before swallowing the burning liquid. Thankfully Xanth managed to score and saved me from another set of back to back shots as he reached out and touched Harris with images of Death Knights charging down on Harris riding wild black steeds, which secured him the point and the win over Harris. But, it was 3 and a half shots of the vile fluid that I had been required to ingest.

Xanth saluted Harris and then turned to salute me, “I decreased your intake by 30 percent. Next time, mortal, I suggest not making rash promises which involve high strength and questionable liquors.” I smiled. What ever Xanth is, he has no compunction about calling things the way he sees them. He turned then to return to his seat muttering, “not that you’ll listen anyway.”

I quirked a brow at Xanth, “well, there’s a reason for this agreement.” Then I winked at him and focused on Harris and Topaz, but I could hear him grumble low at my comment, though he made no further retort.

Topaz observed that Xanth had helped keep Harris from reaching the full five points, and Harris simply grinned as he eyeballed Topaz, “thankfully I have another match lined up already.” She announced that she was ready and I sent them into the ring.

Topaz moved into the ring, “I’m going to try hard, Azjah, but no promises. It’s been years since Harris and I dueled.” She turned her gaze and focus onto Harris and bade him cast well as she told us she would be using Nether Ray as part of her arsenal.

Topaz went for a fear touch on Harris, but he wasn’t in the mood for such touches, and when she suggested that Harris didn’t want to be touched, I grinned, “Oh, he wants to be touched….” But no sooner had the words left my mouth than I wanted them back. “I did NOT just say that!” Mortification swept through me at my giving voice to a thought that should never have been spoken.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Harris snickered, “don’t forget to drink!” I stuck my tongue out at him as I poured the half shot I owed him for his advantageous spell. It was taking greater concentration to get the liquid into the glass, and to set the bottle onto the table without spilling either one and I knew inebriation was working its way through my system in a hurry. My scotch never hit me this hard. Never. I shuddered slightly as I downed the obligatory shot.

I had missed hearing Topaz tell Xanth he was sweet, which he had firmly and utterly rebuked, but I did hear her say to Xanth, “I would have a taste, I’m curious to see if that’s so or not… but Lucien would get angry.”

I misunderstood her and asked if she wanted some of this horrid concoction. She grinned at me, “I meant Xanth, and his being sweet or not.”

Harris launched a nether ray that cut right through Topaz’s noxious cloud, and I offered to share my shot with the fairy, to which she laughed, “seems only fair with me letting Harris get that many points!” At this juncture, Harris has scored a total of 7 points, and the alcohol was affecting my motor skills as well as my judgment.

Harris hear the exchange, “NO sharing, Azjah! DRINK!”

I gave Harris my prettiest pout, “you want me to drink alone?”

He glowered at me, “don’t make me come out there!”

I poured a dash of the liquid into the glass and lifted it in his direction as Topaz’s words registered with Xanth, “what the….” She had managed to flabbergast him and I grinned, ‘ut oh’.

Harris grinned and turned his attention back to Topaz, “better.”

Topaz however was having entirely too much fun teasing the dour Xanth, “perhaps Lucien should taste you Xanth?”

Xanth gave a low, gravelly chuckle, “I assure you, mortal, that your mate would be in for a rude surprise. And it is not easy to shock a nosferatu.”

I slid the bottle away from me as Topaz scored, and Harris squinted at her, but his shot pinged off of her shield, and then his bolt was engulfed by the fog. And then when Topaz and Harris’ meteors cancelled one another out, I got off the chaise and began to snoopy dance around in the sand as Harris stood and stared skyward while the spells collided. When Topaz observed that at least he hadn’t scored, Harris informed her that it was not a good thing.

I leaned against the back of the chaise and gave Harris a grin, “yes it is.” But then my knees gave way and I dropped onto the chaise and kicked off the stiletto heels, which were proving to be a hindrance in my current state of inebriation.

But just as I was hoping Topaz would secure a come back, Harris launched more shuriken and shattered Topaz’s mirror. When I did not move quickly enough to pour another shot, I heard Harris’ voice…”Driiiiiiiiiiiiink!”

I groaned and poured another shot, holding my nose before tossing it down. As Harris secured his win against Topaz, he came over to check on me, and I flashed him a grin, offering to share with him. He gave me a toothy grin, “Of course not. I’m not crazy enough to drink that stuff. Too strong!”

I stuck my tongue out at him then, “and you want me to driiink it?”
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

He snickered, “you already have. But, feel free to drink some more.”

I gave him a smile, “yah, but you don’t have any more opponents… so, I’m sa-afe.” His suggestion that I go ahead and drink some more finally registered, “nooooo…. That is ssome wicked stuff.” I tried to shake my head no, but that turned out to be a bad idea and I ceased trying quickly.

Harris chuckled, “oh, don’t worry, you’ve still got s’more loosening up to do. Gotta let your hair down, literally.”

I reached up and gently patted the flawless coif. Keeping my hair in a perfect chignon is something I have paid very careful attention to maintaining, and reflexively I checked on the three platinum picks that held the chignon in place. As I was checking, Harris reached with those grabby hands of his for my hair once more. “No, no… the hair stays up!” And by dumb luck rather than grace or skill, I managed to evade his attempt to bring my hair down.

Devan walked onto the Isle during this, and Xanth’s red lights shifted toward the portal where the current bearer of the Ring of Klytus entered. Harris noted his arrival as well, and thumbed toward Devan, “I bet I could get that guy to duel me.”

I gave Devan a bleary wave, “Hey De-evan!” Then looked back at Harris, “nah”.

Harris simply snickered, “the hair’s comin’ down, one way or another Azjah.”

Devan made it to the ring area and asked if anyone was in need of a duel. Topaz spoke up, “Harris is having a dueling night, and Xanth always is looking for a magic combat.”

Harris began to flail and flop around, “meeeeeeee!” And I cringed…. “nooooooooooo!” But I am not entirely certain if I was saying no to Harris and my hair or no to Harris and another duel.

Xanth grumbled, “I do have a burning desire to face Wallace in magical combat, but unfortunately this absurd liquor game will come first.”

Devan gave us an amused grin, “looks like Harris it is then.”

Harris was gleeful, “oh yeah!” He chuckled as he headed off to the ring again, “the hair’s coming down after this match Azjah. I guarantee.”

I paled hearing him, “go lose to Devan”.

He puffed a whisp of blue hair from his vision before offering Devan a thumbs up to begin their match, and about that moment Rissa walked in. I seriously wanted to hand this match over to Rissa to avoid any more of the white lightening that the bottle held, but instead of handing over the match, I settled for asking her if she would like some of the bottle.

Topaz volunteered to have a try of the liquid, and I grinned hearing her. At least I would not be drinking alone. She came over with her coffee cup in hand and I poured a shot of the clear liquid into the shot glass and handed it to her. She took a sniff of it, “Oh, Lucien will just adore you Harris!” She emptied the shot glass and then grimaced.

Harris went immediately on the offensive and sent a trio of sharpened knives across the ring, and scoring a full point. When I did not fill the shot glass quickly enough, he flailed from the ring, “Driiiiiiiiiiiiink!” I winced
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

I winced and poured another shot of the clear liquid, took a deep breath and swallowed it with a grimace. But when Devan tossed a bolt of mana across the ring that spliced the three whirling shards Harris had cast, I hopped off the chaise, “Yeeeeeeeesssssssssss!” I blew Devan a smooch for saving me from yet another vile aliquot of the alcohol. Then I glanced at Topaz and said that the liquid has a wicked bite.

Topaz grinned, “that is some mean stuff, and I’m so not used to drinking anything stronger than coffee anymore.” She smiled, “compared to Lucien, it has a weak bite.”

I giggled then, “oooh no Topaz, try having 6 or so…. Or is it 7 now?” I grew thoughtful trying to figure out how much I had imbibed.

Topaz grinned and held out the empty shot glass, “well, while Lucien ain’t looking….” So I refilled it for her.

Harris was taunting his opponent, and I heard him say “it’s good you’ve decided not to be a Halloweenie.” That struck me as immensely funny and I snickered, “hollow weenie,” but I was having trouble standing by the chaise, so I dropped down into the sand and began making patterns in the sand with my fingers. The notion of play on words vanished as quickly as it had come.

Rissa glanced at Topaz, “why is Topaz drinking?” She gave Harris a suspicious look.

Topaz grinned at Rissa, “because Azjah is offering.” Then she looked down at what I was drawing, “what are you drawing?” Apparently my artistry was not as clear as I thought it was.

I flashed a smile up at Topaz, “no idea, flight of fantasy?”

Rissa frowned, “ah hell, what is going on here?”

Harris squinted as I missed his next score, “Driiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiink!”

I jumped, “okaaaaaaaay”. I reached for the bottle and nearly knocked it over in my attempt to grab it. I got up onto my knees and reached again for the bottle.

Rissa glanced at all 3 of us, “Harris…. What did you do to them?” Harris gave her the most innocent expression that he’s capable of, and proclaimed his innocence to her. She gave him a dubious look, “yeah, right.”

Topaz gave the bottle a hard look, “I’ve not tasted anything this nasty since the late nights, or early mornings with Tass and Xyclone.”

I nodded at her, “it is nasssty.” Then a fit of giggles, “I’m beginning to sssound like Bran!” Simultaneously Topaz giggled and said the same thing.

Devan let Harris score again, and I glanced at the ring, “c’mon Devan! Thisss sstuff is terrible!” Devan looked around hearing his name, “is it still happy hour?”

Topaz laughed, “Harris hasn’t been innocent in at least a decade.” Then she noted the score, “Devan had better not let Harris have another point.” She glanced my direction, “say, when the bottle is empty, he can’t possibly make you drink any more, right?” And then she helped empty some more of the lighter fluid from the bottle.

I grabbed onto the chaise and used it to stand up and started to brush off my legs, trying to remove the sand grains that stuck to me in abundance. Her words finally registered and a dawning expression lit my features, “true!” As she took more of the alcohol I snickered at Harris, who had displaced into the heart of Devan’s foul fog, “Harris? You will change and shower, right?”

Topaz blinked, “Uh oh, you shouldn’t have said that, now he’ll want you to wash his back!”

I blinked at her. “He stinks right now!” This was NOT the middle ages, and a hostess no longer provided washing services for honored guests, and I certainly wasn’t going to wash Harris’ back!

She lifted a brow at me, “well, it’s Harris” as though that explained everything.

As Harris tried to extricate himself from the noxious fumes I giggled hearing Devan, “Foul Ball, or Foul Harris. You make the call.” Harris grumbled as he swiped away the remnants of the fumes, “Witty” is all he said to Devan.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

I snickered and offered Harris some of the liquor, and he glanced from the ring at me, “Just remember what I said Azjah!”

Topaz looked at me, “what did he say?”

I tried to concentrate, “ummm, he said a lot of things.” But for the life of me, I couldn’t grab onto a coherent thought. Topaz’s announcement that Devan had let Harris score again elicited a groan, and I glanced at the bottle in question until Harris’ voice yelled once again… “Driiiiiiiiiiiiiiink!”

I gave him a defiant look, “yah yah,” but I grabbed for the bottle once again.

Rissa shot Harris a look, “I knew you were behind it Harris.”

I grinned at her, “Oh, he is behind a lot of things!”

Topaz continued to expound on Harris’ proclivities, “and in front of things, and in the middle of things,” she nodded sagely, and Rissa laughed, acknowledging that she knew that too.

Devan managed to fall victim to Devan, and I was grateful to Devan for not letting him score a full 5 points. I flashed Harris a smile, picked up the bottle and held it out for him, “Here ya go.”

Harris smoothed every blue hair back into place before exiting the ring and heading my direction, “had enough?”

I smiled up at him fuzzily, “that sstuff iss vile. Le’me change out of uniform.” I reached for the stilettos, but they moved and I waved a dismissive hand at them. “Bah!” I began to walk a not so straight line through the sand barefoot.

Harris snickered, “That could take forever considering the condition you’re in.”

Somehow I managed to make my way from the Tower to the beach again, and paused beside a tree. “I don’t suppose we have sparkling water around here, do we?” A goblin hurried off to return a moment later with a glass of mineral water.

Harris simply stood with his arms folded across his chest, chuckling the whole time.

I smiled at the goblin and took the water, using both hands to hang onto it for dear life, and my eyes remained riveted to the sand so I could see where I was placing each foot as I crossed the sand toward the rings and my chaise. As I paused near the chaise, I looked up and stuck my tongue out at Harris. “I made it.”

He simply grinned, “uh huh. Too bad you don’t remember what I said. It’s ok though.”

I paused in mid drink of the water, “wha…?”

And then Harris went all grabby again, reaching for the trio of platinum picks that kept my hair in place as I elaborated “I drank for each point… HEY!” I dropped the glass of water as I tried to grab his hands and keep them out of my hair and away from the picks. He gave me a charming smile, “yeeeeees? You did have the option of doing this the easy way, yanno?”

I slapped at his hands and pulled back, “easy schmeazy. Why d-do you want my hair down?” I blinked and hung onto the picks as best I could.

“It’s all a part of lesson two. Don’t make me pin you to the ground.” He gave me a toothy grin, that had I not been in a state of intoxication I would have read clearly. However I was in no shape to accurately read Harris.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

I gave him a horror stricken look, “you wouldn’t dare!” That is the wrong thing to say to Harris. But ignorance is bliss and I turned to see Lem arrive, “Lemmy!!”

Harris simply snickered, “wouldn’t I?”

But I missed that as Lem agreed, “Yes, the Lemmy has arrived.”

I quirked a brow at Harris before reaching out and ruffling his hair with my free hand, “You look better with your hair down.” I was feeling a bit woozy and decided it was probably past time for me to head back, “Th’ Sstar Dragon is docked,” I started to say.

No sooner had I ruffled his hair than he deftly moved to scoop me up with another round of snickering, “hard way it is then,” and I tried to grab for his collar to hang on to something, but he plopped me facedown on the couch, “you’re only making this harder on yourself,” he admonished me, and with very little effort, he pinned me there with one arm while his free hand moved to pluck the picks from my hair.

“oooff!” Abruptly I felt the carefully confined locks come tumbling down around my shoulders in a fall of blond that only was left down at bedtime. “Harris! Noooooooo!” I felt helpless and entirely too casual to be out and about.

“Too late,” he cackled as he pocketed the picks before releasing me.

I reached up and ran my fingers through the hair that was now down around my shoulders rather than in a neat chignon. I never, ever came out in public so informally, and it felt as though I were walking around in my pajamas in public. It was a sensation I did not enjoy.

Harris nodded approvingly at his handiwork, “that’s much better.”

The shocking condition of my hair elicited an “awww…” as I reached for the bottle of unlabeled alcohol and handed it to him, “here, drink thiss.” He needed it more than I if he thought this condition was better.

He declined the offer, but took the bottle away from me and corked it before returning it to a pocket out of sight. I blinked as the bottle vanished, “hey!”

Topaz agreed with Harris, “that does look nice.” Then she smiled; “now you get to drink scotch again.”

I frowned at them both, “I’m a messss.”

Topaz shook her head, “not really.” Harris grinned, “See? Topaz agrees.”

I brightened then, “of course, not as much of a messs asss lassst week.” A goblin brought a glass of scotch when it had heard Topaz make the observation, and I took the glass from him, “ssscotch iss better.”

Harris appeared highly amused by this time, “What? Did you want s’more? Not sloshed enough yet?” As I took the scotch from the goblin he grinned at my statement that scotch was better, “sure it is.”

I nodded as enthusiastically as possible, then realized that my platinum picks were no where to be seen, “ahm, wha’ did you do with th’ picks?”

Harris gave me a perplexed look, “what picks?” Then smiled, “two lessons down, only fifty-seven more to go Azjah.”

Topaz blinked, “what lessons?”

I was certain I had misheard him,”fif-tee sseven? You’ll kill me ‘t this rate!” I reached up to my loose hair and pulled at it with my fingers, “tha’ picks that held this messs.”

Harris gave Topaz a trademark toothy grin, “she’s on lesson two.” Then he looked back at me, “what mess? I don’t see a mess. You look even more fantastic than you normally do.” He nodded for emphasis.

I gave him a wry laugh, “you need glassssesses.”

He gave me a smug smile, “in fact, from now on, you’re gonna wear your hair down.” He nodded again as though it were all decided, “That’s your homework.”
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Vincent Smith had arrived somewhere during all of this, and I heard him say as he blinked in disbelief, “Is Azjah drunk?”

Topaz smiled beguilingly at Vincent, “maybe a little. Harris made her drink shots whenever he scored a point.”

Vincent died laughing, “I’ll have to do that the next time I face her.” Topaz corrected him that Harris had not been facing me in a ring.

I gave Harris a horrified look, to which he threatened to dump me into the Pit again. I shuddered, “but… I only wear it down for bed… not in public!!!!!” I could hear my nanny tsking about my hair as I had been growing up, and the notion of being in public with it all fly away was simply too much.

Harris gave me a charming smile, “well, no you wear it down in public. Too easy.”

I strung out my hair with my fingers as it flew in all directions, “but…. It’ss all fly away!”

Harris waggled a finger at me, “no buts!”

Vincent spoke up to Harris then, “Duel me so we can get Azjah a few more drinks!”

Simultaneously I was glancing behind Harris, and then at Topaz’s derriere, “there’ss lotss of buttsss around, we all have one, see?” I pointed at the fairy’s and then at Vincent’s as I nodded sagely. “Even Risssssa and Vincent have one.”

Vincent laughed, “Yes Azjah, I do have one.”

Topaz initially misunderstood when I said there were lots of butts around, “HEY!” But then she heard the rest of my comment and laughed. “It’s more like they each have one, they’re not so much sharing one.”

Harris snickered at Vincent, “She doesn’t need anymore drinks, and I already dueled three times Vince.” And so Vincent sat down and kicked up his feet, agreeing that Harris had dueled enough.

I nodded belatedly at Vincent, “he did…. Thhree timesss, and that’ssss got to be a record.” Then I looked at Topaz, “sharing isn’t ssso bad.”

Harris gave a satisfied smirk, “this Azjah is so much more entertaining than the sober version. I think lesson two is a rousing success.” His comment elicited a full blown raspberry from me as he wiggled his fingers at me, “but now methinks it’s time to go home. You’re gonna have a raging headache in the morning yanno. And I have to prepare lesson three.”

Vincent chuckled hearing Harris, “I’m in agreement. Lesson two worked well.”

I closed my eyes and the world tilted oddly as Topaz grinned, “Depends on what’s being shared and with whom.”

I groaned, “headache…. Ookay…. I’m going home.” Then I smiled as that brought back old memories, o/~ “Home, home on the range…. Where th’ deer an’ th’ antelope roooooooooooooooaam….”

Harris snickered and Rissa corrected the lyrics….”not roam, play,” but I was not in any condition to register much of what was being said, but I managed a blink at Rissa.

Harris reached down and scooped me up, slinging me over his shoulder, “here, I’ll take you.”

I managed a wave to everyone from over Harris’ shoulder, and a “nitey nigh’” to everyone as Topaz wished me sweet dreams.

Harris headed out the portal, “you can give me directions from back there, right?”

But I don’t recall what happened as Dominik solidified in step with Harris and it was the Dragonseeker who led Harris to the hangar where the Star Dragon waited for its missing copilot.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg

Return to “Palazzo Drachen Walde”