Aftermath and a New Year

Transplanted Rigelian and her adventures in the Nexus world of RhyDin and
beyond.

Moderator: Azjah von Drachen Walde

Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Azjah von Drachen Walde »

Several times during the night, Dominik awoke me and forced water into my system. The swallow reflex helped me get it down, but the body simply wanted to flee back into a deep sleep where no recognition of the poison in my system was possible. During one of my brief forays into cognizance I remembered Harris’ words, “you’re gonna have a raging headache in the morning yanno.” The headache was beginning, and there was as yet no hint of a rising sun.

5:30 AM and the alarm I usually had set sounded off. It sounded as though I were in the heart of some monstrously gigantic bell, and some mad man was ringing it for all they were worth. Pain shot through every nerve I possess. I closed my eyes, but not before I spotted Dominik in the shadows, and in his features a hint of mirth.

The Dragonseeker moved silently enough when he wanted to, but this morning, he made enough racket to wake the dead, or so it seemed to me. As I pulled a down pillow over my head and reached for the alarm, he silenced it with the wave of his hand. He paused beside my bed, and using telepathy rather than words, informed me that Gabriel was enroute back, and that if there was a window sooner than the evening window, we might be wise to take it.

I lifted the pillow off of my face and cracked open one eye. “The 12 hour cycle, we just missed it.” The words nearly stuck in my dry throat. It seems the alcohol had severely dehydrated me, and speaking was like trying to talk with a throat full of sand.

Dominik frowned ever so slightly, but maintaining his telepathy, he told me not to try to talk, but simply to think, and he would catch my thoughts. That should have troubled me. I’ve not had a blood exchange with Dominik. Theoretically, he should not have access to my thoughts with such ease, but at the moment, my head was occupied with pain and not so much with rational thought.

I stretched, and felt every muscle protest, and then I tried to raise my head. That was a very, very bad idea. I groaned and Dominik handed me a glass of something fizzing. <Drink it. It tastes simply dreadful, but you will experience relief shortly thereafter.>

The taste could not possibly be worse than whatever it was that Harris had supplied the evening before. I was wrong again. It tasted of mineral water and sulfurous gases with a hint of an herb I could not place. To make matters worse, it was absolutely room temperature, neither cool nor warm. I managed to get the entire glass down before shoving my hair out of my face and endeavoring to sit upright without groaning again.

Dominik handed me a silk robe that had been laid across the foot of the bed. Some how, some way, I had been undressed and put into my pajamas, but I was not going to ask. The only person here was Dominik, and while I cannot explain why, I do not believe he would let Harris onto the ship for such a task. I nodded silently at the Dragonseeker, and his voice slithered through my mind, <no, it was not the blue haired one.>

I headed off to get dressed for departure with my head feeling as though the entire planetary Drum and Bugle Corps finals are in process simultaneously at enhanced volumes!

Lesson # 2 was one I will never repeat.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Baroness von Drachen Walde
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

I walked through the portal with my hair up in the usual neat chignon without ever giving it a second thought. Topaz waved hello as I headed for my chaise, but she was engaged in conversation with a gentleman whom I have never seen before. He shook his head, “he would be defined as Grand Father Time.”

Topaz laughed, “he may even like that title.”

I settled onto the chaise and sent a goblin for a glass of sparkling water before kicking off my stilettos. The stranger was discussing titles with Topaz, “so do you have any plans for a title?” His gaze slid over me briefly as he spoke.

I sipped the sparkling water before pulling out my book that I had brought along for the night. Topaz laughed again, “not at this time. I was recently relieved of a barony.” His opinion seemed to be that all title holders needed to be challenged now and then. It was not until Topaz asked whether we had been introduced that I paid closer attention to their conversation.

I inclined my head toward the man, “We have not officially met, although I have seen him about RhyDin.” I had seen him in the Arena, and perhaps had passed him once or twice on the streets, but we had never spoken nor had reason to make acquaintances before now.

She pounced on the opportunity to introduce us. The stranger’s name was given as Xeric Mues. I gave him a regal inclination of my head as she gave him my name, “Mr. Mues, good evening. You enjoy the challenge of the rings Mr. Mues?” Since no title or office was provided, simply names, I hoped the use of “Mister” would suffice and not insult him, and his presence here suggested that he enjoyed the contest of arms, be they steel or magical.

He turned his eyes on me and winced slightly, “Please, call me Xeric, it’s a pleasure.” The grin that replaced his wince did not reach his eyes, “It is a responsibility and a pleasure m’lady.”

I noted that the facial features were not engaged with the public grin, “indeed, a pleasure that can be a torment as well. You have recently returned?” Topaz followed the exchange between us, but said nothing more for the moment. I canted my head at him, “Xeric, means dry.” Xeric environments were deserts in common vernacular, and I wondered if there was a connection to this person with a desert.

At length a smile split his features, “it’s a little game I play. I show up long enough to gain title then leave for a few months.” He watched me a moment longer, then as chuckled, “Xeric means dry? I am seasoned m’lady, but I wouldn’t say I’m dry just yet.”

I took a sip of the sparkling water, “a good way to keep people guessing.” I had to laugh at his double entendre, “Xeric environments are desert environments. I wondered if perhaps you hail from a desert land.”

His grin reached his eyes, “my given name is Xavior Eric Mues, Xeric for short, and no, I’m from a very cold place.”
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

I flashes him a quick smile, cold places can be xeric as well. A desert only accounts for rainfall, not for temperature. “Unless you prefer it to mean you’re old and dried up?” Then I gave Topaz a smile, “But I suppose we should reserve old and dried up for Etherean or Will?”

She laughed merrily, “that goes with our earlier subject. They sure are both older than time.”

He smirked then, “Because there is snow on the mountain doesn’t mean there isn’t fire in the furnace.”

I curled both hands around the glass of sparkling water, “but snow on said mountain usually means the internal fires are dormant.” Most snow capped volcanoes are dormant, and some are quite extinct. I was enjoying our banter.

He raised a brow at me in challenge, “Feel free to test that theory whenever and however you choose.”

I gave him a cool and reserved smile, “Be careful, I enjoy challenges.”

His return grin was confident and a trifle ‘knowing’, “there is something to be said for experience.”

As Rissa walked through the portal to adjudicate the Mage Challenge planned for tonight, I gave Xeric a smile, “fatherly advice?”

Topaz giggled, “Xeric isn’t old enough to give you or me fatherly advice.”

I took a sip of the water and watched Xeric a moment, “I am not usually good at judging ages, but I like his challenge, and may have to take him up on it.”

He crossed massive arms across a broad chest, “now if I’m old and G is ancient, what does that say for you Topaz?” Then his gaze slid over me once more, “I sincerely hope that you do.”

Topaz simply smiled at him, “I am youthful, of course.”

Vincent Smith and Lem appeared as though on queue, and soon the other challengers arrived, which broke my playful banter with Xeric. I curled up beneath the silk wrap to watch the matches. Russel arrived, but he was so focused on the events to come that I simply could not intrude upon him for light chat.

The matches began, and I was sitting down wind tonight it seemed because every foul fog spell cast seemed to waft my direction. I slunk down into my chaise and pulled the silk wrap up around my shoulders and buried my face into it with a groan.
Last edited by Azjah von Drachen Walde on Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Xeric returned and I peered over the silk at him, “just how much snow is on the mountain?” The trouble maker in me surfaced with a grin. Unfortunately, his mood had changed and he sighed as he heard me and found an empty table to seat himself at, which was my clue to leave the man be. He settled in to watch the matches, and cold blue eyes swept the beach before settling upon me once more.

I pulled the silk tightly around me before picking up my book once more. But feeling his eyes on me, I lifted my own once more. He had the look of someone caught, and then flashed a grin. I could feel myself color under that grin, and I spoke softly, “I offended you earlier, my apologies.” Then I too returned my attention to the ring, where Russ had just lost his match, and I spoke to him briefly. “You will make that rodent fat you know.” It was a standing comment now because Russel insisted on feeding the squirrel walnuts each time he visited the rings.

He smiled, unrepentantly handing the rodent another walnut, “either that, or he will prosper well and be able to feed his family.”

Xeric frowned slightly at my apology. “Offended me? How?”

I explained his frown to my earlier comment about snow when he had returned and he scratched his head in thought, “refresh an old man’s memory please?”

I shrugged lightly and told him what I had said, he chuckled as he realized what he had said, “well, if I don’t remember it then I couldn’t have been offended.” So I promised not to make any further snow jokes in his presence. He opened his mouth as though he might say something further, but then closed it without adding further comment.

I decided to stay on neutral ground, “does business bring you back to Rhydin Xeric?” It felt odd to call the man by his first name. And yet he fidgeted a long moment before flashing his most winning and yet not genuine smile at me, “Yes, you might call what brings me here ‘business’.” But something in that response suggests a man stirring the pot of mischief or trouble and not sincerity. I decided to poke a bit further, “And RhyDin contains the pot you wish to stir?”

He nodded then, “yes, it does.” But no further elucidation ensued.

Another wave of noxious odors assailed me where I sat, and as I coughed from the vapors I muttered that I was going to have to have a hard discussion with Brig again. Unfortunately, our esteemed Arch Mage overheard my comment. “Is that what you call it Azjah? A discussion?” I dropped my head with a laugh. It was the better part of valor to simply keep quiet on that comment. “Believe it or not Will, yes.”

He gave me a faint smile, “I think they should have named them foul touch and fear fog myself.”

Xeric glanced between Will and myself before shaking his head though he gallantly appeared to pay no attention to the exchange, “forgive me, I’m boring you with pointless talk of myself. Tell me of you.” Then my mention of Brig brought his brows furrowing together, “Brig?”

In fact, I had not been bored and demurred discussion about me, so I smiled, “Brigath Cedran has a special affinity for that spell. I’ve been trying for years to get him to change or modify it.” Xavior seemed to remember that name, and I smiled, “he has been around a very long time.”

He nodded, “Brigath and I were formerly on a TDL team together.”

I took a sip of the water, “Brig has been….” But I stopped that thought quickly.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Will spoke up to the assemblage, “has anyone seen Harry? I thought he said he would be here.”

I gave Will a puzzled look, “Harry?” I could not think of anyone named “Harry”.

Will gave me an odd look at that, “Harris. You know; that guy.”

Rissa grimaced, “Azjah will shoot all of you tonight! “ Yet another wave of noxious and malodorous fumes drifted free of the rings and I buried my face into the silk wrap, “Gaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh”.

Will smiled, “bless you. I take it you are allergic to him?” He was playing with my aversion to the spell results and my knowledge of Harris.

I blinked as I peered out from behind the silk, “Yes, I know Harris. I do not ever recall ever hearing anyone call him ‘Harry’ before.” Then I glanced at Xeric, “Have you ever had the pleasure of meeting Harris?”

Will smiled, “well, I will admit, Harry is one of the nicer things I’ve called him.”

I laughed merrily, “perhaps you should be his project and not I?”

Xeric gave me his best smile then, “I’ve known many men with that name.”

I chuckled, “It would be hard to miss this Harris. Blue hair, toothy grin. Insane.”

He laughed, “You would be surprised how many I’ve known to fit that description.”

I quirked a brow at him, “blue hair? You must know some colorful people.”

Will interjected, “either that, or he’s color blind.” He pondered a moment, then added, “or maybe he works in an old-folks home. Except then the grins would be toothless…. So that rules out that hypothesis.”

Xeric chuckled, “the Duel of Swords has played host to all shapes, sizes, and colors.” I had to agree. Those venerable halls have seen many an interesting character. Then he swept his eyes over me and added, “No, I believe my vision is just fine.”

I canted my head at Xeric, “no color blindness, myopia?”

He laughed and shook his head, “no, no, I can see just fine. I’ve been told that I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed, but my physical senses are fine.””

I blushed slightly, “no frostbite damage?” then gave a passing goblin a quick look then back at Xeric, “have you acquainted yourself with the Isle’s goblins Xeric?” Then I sent a goblin to Xeric to collect his favored drink.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Xeric spoke softly to the goblin before slipping it a velvet purse with coins inside. While he was doing that, Uriko arrived, in her usual bubbly and cheerful mood, and I asked her whether she had come to cheer someone in particular tonight for the mage tournament.

She waved excitedly, “Not just someone, I hope to make everyone’s night better!” She held out a little orange pumpkin bag, “I’m willing to share my Halloween candy if it will make people happy.” She bounded in my direction, holding out the little bag, “go ahead, have your pick!”

I smiled and reached into the bag, “perhaps a little sugar high will do some people some good.” She grinned and said that such sugar highs always did her some good. I thanked her and she headed for Rissa, but not before tossing a piece of the candy squarely at Lem’s head.

A commotion in the trees drew my attention. It would seem that the small velvet purse with the coins had become the object of a full blown goblin fight. Then I glanced at the Russian, wondering just what he had said to the goblin, and what they would bring out for him. Xeric shrugged, “I told him to bring me something interesting.”

I lifted both brows at his willingness to experiment, “Something interesting being told to a goblin could get you something truly vile.”

He leaned back into his chair, crossing his arms and his feet up on the table, and I smiled as the goblin returned bearing a mug. Xeric watched the goblin warily as the mug frothed slightly as it was set down onto the table top. He flashed his teeth at the goblin before saying thankyou.

I chuckled, “you are an adventurous sort, aren’t you?”

Xeric looked slowly to the left, then into the rings, and finally back at me, “Me?”

I gave him a smile, “Yes, you.”

He grinned, “I’ve been called worse things.”
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Russel ended his duel, but his color was not right, and he seemed to be in an inordinate amount of pain, so I rose and moved toward him, asking if he was alright. He nodded slightly, “aye, I’m fine. Thank you milady.” I canted my head at him a moment before nodding and returning to my chaise. He was in pain, but if he chose to be stoic about it, who was I to push him? As I turned to go, he lifted a hand to my arm, saying softly, “I do appreciate your concern.” Then he let go and wandered off toward the tree where the squirrel resided.

I paused near Xeric’s table and looked into the mug the goblins had brought for him, and he tried again, “Ms. Drachenwalde, tell me more about yourself?” He was pointedly ignoring the mug and doggedly trying to get me to speak about myself. It seemed as though he felt he was not as interesting, or perhaps his past was something he did not wish to discuss, and this was his way of redirecting the conversation. In any case, he gave me an expectant look, hoping I would take his lead and turn to discussing myself.

“There is not much to tell actually. I am from Rigel, a member of the Kaiser’s extensive family, my father was a Marcher Baron, and I own Drachen Walde Industries.” I paused, then smiled, “Oh yes, I like fine single malt scotch, and good horses.” It seemed appropriate to share something personal in that string of descriptors.

Xeric’s brow rose when I told him I was part of the Kaiser’s extended family. “Royalty?”

I smiled, “minor really. Marchioness Azjah Telyria Danaan von Drachen Walde,” I told him with a dismissive wave of my hand, “twelfth in line to the throne, so I have no worries on that score.” What I did not say was that I also harbor no desire to accede to the throne.

Xeric extended his left hand toward me, palm up in a formal offering that is so seldom seen here in RhyDin, “If I may m’lady?” It was the act of a man well versed in proper etiquette for blood royal, and I wonder where he has come by his experience.

I regarded his hand a moment before resting my fingertips lightly into the palm of his hand and was startled by the leather coarseness of his own hand as it closed briefly around my own. He lightly pressed his lips to the back of my hand, and then touched the knuckles to his forehead, “heir or not, you are royalty.” He then released my hand and crossed his arms over his chest once more as he continued to regard me without giving away a hint of what was going through his mind.

I dropped him a respectably formal curtsey, “RhyDin seldom observes such formalities.” Then rising, I glanced at his frothing mug and smiled at the inscrutable expression on his face, “that should be intriguing.” Then I smiled.

He steadfastly refused to look at the mug by his elbow as he shook his head, “it’s the inhabitants of RhyDin that do not observe proper formalities.” Then in a seemingly ‘accidental’ brush of his elbow, the mug was toppled off the table and into the sand on the beach.

I hid a smile at the ‘accident’. “There are one or two. Russel there has shown proper Court etiquette, but few others who have either the experience, or the training to do it properly.” I glanced toward the portal then, Gabriel was nudging me to go, “I am afraid I must depart Mr. Mues, but welcome back to RhyDin.”

He pretended not to notice my mirth at his action and bade me a good evening, and again requested that I call him Xeric.

I pulled the silk wrap closer about my shoulders, “Xeric… I shall endeavor to remember that.” Then I returned to my chaise and slid the stilettos back on before making my farewells to Russel and to Topaz.

Xeric flashes me one of his winning smiles, “trust me, it’s easy to forget.”

I paused at the portal and leveled serious pale blue eyes on him, “Xavior Eric Mues… Xeric. I shall keep them in mind.” The man had a way of intriguing me, and offering challenges that might prove most interesting to ‘call’. With that, I stepped through the portal and met Gabriel for the return drive to the Palazzo.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Gabriel’s return had brought no further information on where he had gone, nor what had been so very important, and each time I tried to speak with him about it, he simply went silent and I could feel the walls slam between us in the psychic bond as well. What ever had taken him away was not something he wanted to discuss. I am very frustrated with his silence.

The trip to Lacerta was uncomfortable for the three of us residing together shipboard for 5 days. Dominik tried to keep things flowing, but I found myself retreating to the pilot’s chair for hours on end and leaving Gabriel and Dominik to themselves. I was an outsider on my own ship.

Our return to RhyDin was less strained. We had flown through the Cephean war gathering and had better idea of the forces gathering. This gave us plenty to talk about as we planned the communications modifications we wanted to make, as well as modifying the weapons and ammunition deliveries for the next shipment. These things kept us well occupied.

I headed for my chaise on the first night back and sent a goblin for a glass of scotch as Zara Coalwood followed me through the portal. She gave me a nod before taking up a leaning stance against a nearby tree. I have seen the woman several times, but I know next to nothing about her, and so I turned to my lists as I waited for duelers to arrive.

Rena arrived next, and as she came toward the rings, she quirked a brow, “why the frown?”

I had not realized that I was frowning, but at her words, I glanced up, “numbers don’t add up.” I had spoken briefly with Rena regarding the impending war with Cephea, so I was comfortable in admitting the cause of my consternation to her.

She paused near the chaise, “what numbers? And did the co-pilot ever show up?”

I nodded absently at her question regarding Gabriel. “He did. We made the flight, delivered the goods, and returned.” I suspect I sounded slightly bitter, but that was not to be helped. Then I lifted my gaze to her, “the numbers regarding the ships massing around Lacerta and the stated crew numbers. They don’t match.”

Rena digested that a moment, “good or bad?”

“The troop numbers reported are too great for the number of ships massed. Either the troop estimates are way off, or there are ships sitting out there that we haven’t accounted for,” and what I did not say was that if there are unseen ships, we have a bigger problem than just mismatched numbers. She nodded, so I continued, “if there are more ships out there, where are they? It’s a tough situation, unseen ships, or are the numbers right?” Could the Cephean’s have gained access to our information networks and be manipulating the numbers we are working to?

“Didn’t you say there was an asteroid belt nearby?” Rena and I had spoken somewhat about this situation, and she was digging through her memories of our chats in Teas N Tomes.

“There are 2 moons around Lacerta, but the asteroids are far enough away that we would see them coming if they are hiding there.” No, the asteroid belt would not be close enough for them to launch a meaningful attack on Lacerta. The crux of the problem is which numbers are accurate, and which are faulty? So much depends on which one is the real nemesis.

Rena then wondered aloud if the moons had any craters that were large enough to hide some of these ‘missing’ ships, “Yes, but we’ve done a pretty extensive sensor sweep. Nothing has turned up.” That is not to say our sensors are infallible, but we have looked at that possibility, and nothing has been detected. “But Rena, they could have purchased a technology we don’t know they have.” That concept was terribly unnerving.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

She nodded agreement, and about that time Topaz stepped through the portal onto the island. I slid the documents into the valise, there would be no further ruminating on the numbers now that people were beginning to arrive onto the beach. She received her usual coffee from one of the goblins and found a place to sit down before asking how we were.

I was still half turning over the numbers when I told her that I was ‘acceptable’ and inquired how she was tonight.

She smiled, “slightly above that.” Then she asked if I had seen Gabriel of late, and I nodded, explaining that we had only today returned from Lacerta. She asked me how he was doing, apparently she too could sense that he was not here on the Isle with me, and then she inquired whether or not I had detected any difference in him since his unexplained disappearance.

I shook my head, trying to keep my irritation about the whole thing to myself, “He’s not spoken about his disappearance yet.”

She nodded, “Lucien didn’t seem to know anything either.”

Sipping the scotch, I acknowledged that I knew that, and added that this was the first time I had ever seen Gabriel keep any secret that close to his vest that he would not even share with Lucien. Dominik apparently knew, but he was just as closed lipped as Gabriel.

Topaz gave me a quixotic smile, “secrets and challenges. Are you getting anywhere with Xeric’s challenge?”

She had completely blind sided me, “Xeric’s challenge?” I hold no title for him to challenge, and my mind drew a complete blank on what she was referring to.

She grinned, “about fire in the volcano under the ice.”

I blinked again, still drawing a blank, “fires? Volcanoes? Ice? You have completely lost me.”

She grinned more, “okay, I get it. It was one of those things I wasn’t meant to over hear.”

I mulled over her expression and the words, truly puzzled and then Mr. Mues and my discussion regarding his age and ‘snow on the mountain’ comments dawned on me. She had taken our banter as something more ‘personal’ than ever I had intended. Klinton may be missing this last year, but I have not yet had him declared dead, and I am certainly not entertaining taking a lover for physical comforts. Not yet.

Topaz nodded when I said ‘snow on the mountain’ and said “yes.”

Bran arrived then, looking severely battered and beaten. It seems that he had seen the wrong side of Koyliak the night before and was paying the price for fighting her in the Outback.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

A dwarf peered in through the portal, and was not at all a familiar face, but Topaz seemed to know him, and he emerged through the portal and made his way across the sand toward the rings. “Am I in the right place?” Topaz and I simultaneously told him that if he was seeking magical combat or the home of the duels of magic, that yes, he was in the right place. But he had come to meet with the members of Atrebla for sword dueling.

As I was about to explain to him that sword dueling was held in another location, Brigath stepped onto the sands. I turned my attention to him as he came bearing his mop with its filthy water dripping into the sand. He too had come for Atrebla, and had come to ask if they could use the sands beyond the magic rings for their match ups. “Azjah darling, do you mind if we usurp one of the rings for a bit?” I motioned toward the furthest ring and told him to be my guest. It would not likely be needed tonight. He blew me a kiss and several people moved off toward the outer ring.

It was at that point that chaos arrived. Harris shimmered through the portal rather than being dumped unceremoniously, and I heard my name called in a sing-song manner.

I blinked at him, “Harris.”

He grinned, “Well gee golly Azjah, nice of you to notice I’m here.”

I chuckled, it was nearly impossible to not notice Harris when he arrived. “When did you sneak through the portal?” I blushed slightly, “sorry my dear, I was preoccupied, but now that I know you are here….”

He gave me a tsk tsk, “I don’t sneak. It’s beneath me.” When I asked him if it truly was, he continued to expand on his thought, “Sneaking would mean nobody would know I’m here, and then they wouldn’t be able to bask in the glory that is moi.”

I couldn’t help the chuckle that escaped, “usually that portal deposits you unceremoniously into the sand. Heaven forfend that we could not bask in such illumination and glory.” I tried for contrite, but it wasn’t working.

He grinned, “it’s a good thing I’m here Azjah.”

I quirked a brow at him; “What brings you to the beach tonight Harris?”

He gave me a wide smile then, as though pleased I had asked, “without me, you’d be missing out on lesson three.”

I heard Topaz wonder aloud just what lesson three would turn out to be, and I too had to wonder.

Harris was showing all of his teeth now, “Lesson three, you know, the lesson you promised to give yourself to without any issues?”

The new dwarf coughed slightly to gain my attention, “not to interrupt, but what is this I hear about Arctic Blast freezing lizards?” His eyes slid pointedly toward Bran.

Bran gave him a blink, “freezing lizardsss?”
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

I reached for the platinum picks in my hair as I looked between Ghranit and Bran, “it certainly can freeze them.”

Bran blinked, “what can freeze who?”

I chuckled at the dwarf, “did you want to freeze a lizard Ghranit?”

He looked very interested then, “Really? I would like to see that.” He pondered a few moments, “I don’t think I have that kind of ability, but I wouldn’t mind trying.” Then he grinned unrepentantly.

Bran blinked at him, “I’m the Keeper of Fire, though, I don’t think you’ll ssssee me freeze any time sssssoon.”

Ghranit perked, “really now? Sounds like fun. Never seen a magic newt before.”

I nearly choked at hearing Bran called a ‘newt’, and he was just as shocked, “Newt?? I’m a lizardMAN!”

Ghranit continued in a completely nonplussed manner, “Flamer too? Wow!”

Topaz laughed, A newt? Bran the newt.” She was having great fun with that and turned to ask Rena if she had heard it. She had missed who had called Bran a newt, and when Topaz told her, she laughed, “ah, welcome aboard Ghranit.”

Harris tsked me, “you haven’t forgotten already, have you Azjah?” When I shook my head no, he grinned, “fantastic!” With that, he headed back toward the portal and vanished through it.

I gave Harris a wary look as he headed through the portal. Very shortly after he departed, he returned through the portal with a grunt, and hauling something behind him that was rolling on wheels. No mean feat coming across the sand. I gave Harris a VERY wary look as he struggled with the creaking, mysteriously covered thing, which he was laboriously dragging in my direction. He paused and grinned, “my my my, I wonder what this could be?”

I kept a wary eye on Harris and the mysterious wheeled object. “A very good question Harris. Are you going to enlighten us?”

“Sure!” And with that said, he pulled away the covering to reveal a rather large clothes rack. It was decked out with a variety of items that appeared to me as though they belonged in a brothel! There were short shorts, hot pants, micro mini skirts, and an assortment of other less than modest pieces of clothing. Harris grinned, “your attire is much too formal, Azjah. It’s time to dress you down some.” His grin was huge! “You know what they say. Less is more.”

I gave him a disbelieving blink, “HARRIS! You do NOT mean those…. Umm….. bandaids.” I was looking at what appeared to be a bikini made for a half normal sized person.

He squinted at me, “oh, I almost forgot…” He stomped his foot on the sand and a miniature changing room rose from the sands, “ta da!”

I gave Harris a sweet smile, “You going to model those for us Harris?” I gave him a saccharine smile, “You’d look great in a micro mini skirt Harris… show off those legs of yours.”

He snickered, “You wish. You are though. I mean, I’m tired of coming to this beach and not seeing anyone in a bikini.” He winked, “Oh, I’m sure you’ll be able to find something to your liking.” He parked himself in a chair, “lesson three has commenced. Feel free to peruse the rack.”

I gave the rack and its contents a dubious look. I peered at the scraps of cloth that Harris thought constituted clothing. “there’s no pulling out now Azjah.” He tsked again, waggling a finger at me.”
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

I picked up the bit that looked like a shrunken bikini top as Harris flopped down onto the chaise and leaned back with a snicker, “Just pretend you’re a high class runway model Azjah. You’ve got the legs for it.” This was followed by more snickering.

I gave Harris a dark look, “this won’t cover…… anything.” The scrap of fabric was insufficient for any amount of decency.

He cackled, “sure it will, just not much of anything.”

I shook my head, at least there are not throngs of people on the Isle tonight, so I can get through this with minimal embarrassment. I coughed discreetly, “bikini eh?”

He grinned widely, “that’s what they call that piece of fabric, yes.”

I stuck my tongue out at Harris, “you asked for this.” Then I grabbed both bits of cloth and headed into the changing booth he had so thoughtfully provided. The scraps of cloth covered not enough to even declare that I was wearing a bathing suit bikini and I paused looking in the mirror at the image of the woman looking back at me. I would never recognize her. Never.

Harris’ voice drifted into the changing room, “that’s totally untrue Azjah. I gave you a choice.” He snickered again, “you chose this.”

I muttered at him from the booth, “You don’t think I’ll actually wear those other things, do you?” I tied the silk wrap that I always bring with me about my waist and stepped out of the changing booth. That diaphanous wrap gave me at least the illusion of some decency. As I exited the changing booth, he let out a shrill wolf whistle, which caused me to blush crimson.

As I paused before Harris, an imp of trouble lifted its head, and I struck a model’s catwalk pose as I was still wearing the pale blue stiletto heels to make my legs look before Harris as he told me that leather was definitely ‘in’ this year. Clearly Harris did not haunt the runways of fashion! I paused, tilting my hip out in his direction, giving my waist a longer, leaner line and gave a bit of a shoulder turn the other direction to give him the full model preening look. I smiled, “but not nearly as much fun,” came my retort regarding leather. Then I chuckled, “You come to the beach, you need to be appropriately dressed, and speaking of which, where is YOUR thong bikini?”

I heard Topaz comment that the bikini was a nice outfit for the isle as she cast her next spell in the ring.

Harris canted his head to the side and stared at me, “Yeah, I don’t do thongs.”

Wincing slightly as I heard Topaz, I glanced in her direction, “Hope you don’t mind that I’m out of uniform tonight?” Then I did a quick pirouette before Harris and headed back to my chaise.

Topaz gave me a wicked smile, “we could make that your new uniform, if you’d like?”

I quirked a brow at her, “ahh… no.”

Harris however had his head nodding big time, “I agree with Topaz! Better yet, every Tuesday on the Isle could be swimsuit night!” Topaz nodded agreement, adding that Brigath would like to have things that way, she was certain. But sadly, Brig hasn’t been to the isle in ages and I doubt very much he would care.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Harris was still staring, “I like my idea.”

Chuckling, I canted my head at him, “only if you wear that thong!”

He scratched his chin slightly in thought, “You know, there’s something missing. I think I know what it is too.”

Glancing down at the bikini, I had to agree with him, “There is a lot missing.”

He puffed out his cheeks and caused a tidal wave of water to appear over my head and drop abruptly all over me! “HARRIS!” But it was too late. He had managed to essentially drown me where I sat. And then he had the chutzpah to take a picture of me dripping wet, with my hair in soaked disaster. He wolf whistled yet again, “Now that’s sexy right there. You know, I may just have to take you around and show you off Azjah. That is quite a stunning look for you.”

Rissa was fighting back a grin at Harris’ antics as I sputtered out congratulations to Xanth, who had just secured another win. Then I pulled the platinum picks free of my soaking hair. The sodden mass dropped into wet strands onto my shoulders, and I looked long and hard at Harris. “Harris?”

He gave me a big grin, “Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees?”

I glowered at him, “I do have a loooooooooong memory.” Then I waggled one of the picks at him. He blinked and I rose off of the chaise and headed directly for him.

He blinked again, “Uhhh… I don’t think you’ve chosen a very wise course of action Azjah.” I smiled a saccharin smile and told him that indeed I had, and he remained unmoving from his comfy seat as he realized I was heading straight for him. “I’m telling you Azjah, this is a bad idea.”

I paused in front of him, and gave him a completely charming smile before lowering my head and shaking cold water out of my hair all over him where he sat.

He simply shook his head, chuckling as the small droplets of water seemed to bounce off of his person rather than clinging to his skin and clothing, and to rub it in, took yet another photograph!

I glowered at him, “publish those and you’re dead meat.”

He cackled, “Oh, these are for my own private collection.” Then he pursed his lips thoughtfully, “I think Lesson Three is my favorite so far.”

There was nothing to do now but saunter away from Harris with every ounce of feminine grace I could muster.

“Whoa there, missy. Where ya goin’? The party is just getting started!” He was genuinely distressed that I was leaving him now that Rissa had arrived.

I glanced over my shoulder at him, “You think?” Then picking up my valise and the silk jacket I had been wearing earlier I told Rissa it was all hers and smiled sweetly at Harris.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

He pushed up from his seat and waddled after me, “Exactly. Which means we can move on to part two!”

Topaz bade us a good evening, and Rissa lifted a brow, “part two of rule three?” Which succinctly stated my sentiments.

Harris gave us all a look of incredulity, “Of course! Part two! To the Outback!” Then he dove out of the portal and we arrived at the double doors of the Outback.

I shook my head at him, “there is no sand here.” A bikini is meant for beaches, and clearly there were no beaches at the Outback.

Corlanthis waved and I greeted him. Thankfully, he wasn’t staring at the bikini bits.

Harris gave me a dangerous grin, “Nope. You know what there is though, Azjah?”

I canted my head at him, half afraid to ask him, “there are a lot of things here, what precisely did you have in mind?” Images of the mud entered my mind and I cringed inwardly.

Harris shouted at Corlanthis, “Cor! I need a ring!” In the background I commented that he needed a fern and not a ring.

Corlanthis stared at Harris, “All by yourself?! Have you just given up on dueling other people entirely?”

“Oh, I’ve got someone to fight.” With that, he scooped me up unceremoniously and headed toward one corner of the Outback. “Don’t worry though, I know which ring I want!” And he paused at the edge of a pool.

I yelped, “No pits!” Then I spotted the pool and shook my head at Harris, “these are not meant for actually trying to swim in you know.” I was terrified the darned fool thing would shrink even more.

He snickered, “but you look so good all wet, Azjah.” Where upon he deposited me into the pool.

Grabbing for his arm, I wasn’t about to go in by myself, and heard a satisfied moment of shock from Harris as both of us went “sploosh” into the water. Having accomplished that, I proceeded to endeavor to dunk him under and get him as soaked as he’d earlier doused me.

He surfaced sputtering, “you do know you’re gonna pay for that, right?”

I grinned unrepentantly at him, “am I?”

He returned my grin with a sickly sweet smile, “In the worst way,”

A stranger arrived at that moment and she paused momentarily to survey the arena and then the pool. Her gaze lingered on the pool as she smoothed her fingers over the sea-foam fabric of her dress.

Arching a brow at Harris, I gave challenge to him, “give it your best shot.”
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Harris began treading water and peeling off his soaked shirt and tossed it outside of the pool area. I stretched out into a reachy crawl stroke to move in behind Harris, who went for a snapkick, but my jab was quicker, and it took Harris by surprise. For a change, I was on the board first.

While Harris and I exchanged blows in the pool, the woman Lore edged closer, her toes just barely touching the water’s surface furthest from where Harris and I had begun our match before she backed away and perched gingerly on a nearby chair.

Harris was trying to kick out of his shoes when my punch landed and caught him offguard. “Hey!” He squinted his abused eye closed for a moment.

I gave him a charming smile before diving beneath the water and vanishing from his line of sight.

I attempted to get a second hit landed with a fast chop, but Harris swept my legs right out from under me, dunking me unceremoniously into the water. He had dived beneath the surface of the water, zipping through it like it was air to grab onto my ankle and pull me completely under the surface.

When he released his hold, I came up coughing, but grabbed a breath and slipped away like a seal. That allowed me to surface unexpectedly in a good position to land another jab at him.

We battled back and forth in the pool’s confines, but this match would belong to me for the first time! I rose out of the water after the sixth round and tossed my hair over my shoulders to allow it to drip dry before bowing to Corlanthis and wading toward the ladder. My hope was to escape the water before Harris could detain me as he had in the Pit. Upon reaching the ladder, I turned and gave him a wink, “well fought.”

He manipulated the water to form a stairway for him to exit the pool, “meh!”

I glanced at the woman Lore, “all yours,” and grabbed the silk wrap to tie it once again around my waist before heading for Harris and ruffling his wet, blue hair, “meh, huh?”

She seemed startled but quietly declined my offer to turn the pool over to her, “thank you, but I believe I’ll have to wait until another day.”

He made use of Ice Dancer to force the water from his clothes and person while I slicked back my hair in preparation for returning to the Palazzo

Harris looked me up and down, “normally I might be miffed, but considering the sweet piece of eye candy I just lost to, I think I’ll live.” Then he snickered.

I dropped my head with a laugh, “and now your eye candy is going home.”

“Shame that,” he said as he scratched his bare chest a moment.

“I turn into a pumpkin otherwise,” was my explanation to him.

He chuckled, “we can’t have that.” And I had to agree. Pumpkins wouldn’t look good in a bikini.

Harris watched me go, his head tilted slightly as he took a last photo as Corlanthis chuckled, “Night Azjah! Congrats on beating him! Doesn’t happen enough!!”

Harris squinted at Corlanthis, “doesn’t happen enough, eh?”

Cor nodded at Harris as I slipped through the doors, “You do win an awful lot.”

So ended Lesson Three.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg

Return to “Palazzo Drachen Walde”