Transplanted Rigelian and her adventures in the Nexus world of RhyDin and
beyond.

Moderator: Azjah von Drachen Walde

Kendrick Albrecht
Adventurer
Adventurer

Father and Son

Post by Kendrick Albrecht »

Kendrick settled into orbit around Casius Prime. It was the first planet with any Rigelian conections he'd visited since leaving Rhydin four months earlier. The exploring had gone well and he had a wealth of biological and mineral samples to play with stored in the lab he'd built in the converted freighter's cargo hold. He transmitted one of many false identification codes to the defense sattelites and hacked into the interplanetary communications system. Moments later a digitized version of his face filled his computer screen.

"Father!" Kendrick 2.0 exclaimed.

"Hello Kendrick, how is everything?" Kendrick said with a smile.

"Getting better. I found a new place to play in the Rigellian defence network." 2.0 said with an enthusiastic smile.

Kendrick cringed slightly but continued, "Now son, you haven't been up to any mischief have you?"

"No father...well there was the bit of fun I had with Lady Azjah's tax records but she's been mean to me! She won't even speak to me. She just has her fanged pet try to get rid of me."

"I thought I told you to help her. She's not going to accept you if you keep messing up her networks."

"She never even gave me a chance. Besides, she hasn't even found out about the audit yet and she still is trying to have me killed."

"Give it time son. Anything else?"

"No sir."

"Ok, then you play nice with lady Azjah...and clean up her tax records." A grin crept across his face, "but don't cancel the audit. She deserves a little discomfort for being mean."

"Thank you father."

Kandrick closed the connection and smiled as he looked out of the cockpit at the surrounding stars. Perhaps building the AI with his own childhood personality had been a bit much to hoist off onto Azjah but it sure was funny. He could just imagine Gabe and Lucy trying to trace all of the copies the AI would be making of itself, it had to be drining them nuts!

He took a deep breath and let it out slowly. As soon as he refueled and unloaded his cargo he had two new star systems to look at. One had yet to be explored by Rigel...imagine the possibilities.
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Azjah von Drachen Walde »

Morning had been vicious, and when I headed to my desk to read email and check on orders, I was in no mood for the image of Kendrick appearing on my screen.

I had instructed Lucien and Gabriel and even Eoin to get rid of this software any way possible.

Now, as I navigated out of its perpetual interruptions, I found an email from the Revenue Service. Drachen Walde Industries was going to be audited for the past 6 years!

My stomach knotted in warning.

Great. This was JUST what I needed right now.

Picking up the telephone, I called the accounting firm that handled our accounts.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Baroness von Drachen Walde
Lucien
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Lucien »

The Marchioness had left the computer on, and Lucien sat down before it. The program/virus that Kendrick had managed to get into the system was a very sophisticated program, and was not cooperating with being eliminated.

Every time he thought he had it eradicated, it cropped back up.

Alright, time to take a new approach.

"Kendrick, you were left in the system for a reason. What is your purpose as defined by your maker?"
Lucien
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Lucien »

Lucien sat before the computer with a new tactic in mind. Topaz was on Twilight Isle, speaking to Jaleeisa, so he took this time to begin work on removing the planted software that had pretty much infiltrated all systems, and was proving very difficult to remove. He spoke to the AI image, “What is your purpose?”

“Hello Lucy” it smiled out at him from the screen, so it has facial recognition capability. It continued, “I was hoping someone would talk to me eventually. This place is big but it gets lonely.” It frowned before continuing, “My purpose is to aid Lady Azjah in such ways as she requires and ensure that all it being done to ensure her safety and those others given into my care, what’s yours other than giving father a hard time?”

Lucien considered that a moment, “and why would Kendrick place you here to protect her? That does not seem to make good logic given their past.” Of course, it would significantly depend on what the definition of “protect” was for the AI.

“Nope, you got to ask a question, now you have to answer mine first!” Kendrick 2.0 stuck it’s digitized tongue out at Lucien.”

He lifted a black brow at the AI image. Kendrick 2.0 is petulant, just like its maker. “I have multiple functions, and they do not include a focus upon your... 'father'.”

The AI considered a moment, “hmmm...I guess he was kidding when he told me to "look out for Gabe and Lucy because they are the universes answer to hemorrhoids." It gave a perfect imitation of Kendrick before pausing, “interesting, I still have problems with humor.”

Lucien gave him a dry look, “Yes, so it would seem. Now about my question, Why would Kendrick put you here to 'protect' the Marchioness?”

“Because he likes her. He told me she's a nice lady who can get in over her head so I needed to make sure she stays safe so she can watch out for Lady Anne's children because he doesn’t trust Caleb to guard a rubber chicken.” This was said in what in a human would have been a single breath, “so, what’s a Carpathian?”

The approach of question and answer seemed to be promising, and Lucien continued, “A Carpathian is a race of people who come from a region of Romania called the Carpathian Mountains. And have you kept the Marchioness safe?

The AI responded rapidly, “there have been 27 attempts to breach the security protocols both here and at the compound on Rigel. None have succeeded and the authorities on Rigel have been alerted anonymously leading to two arrests...somebody on Rigel doesn't like Lady Azjah very much to be hiring mercenaries...” It paused, “are you a Carpathian?”

The 27 attempts to hack into the system was not really a surprise, but the hiring of mercenaries was worrying. “Yes, I am. Do you have any ideas who might be hacking into the system?” Had this construct been able to trace what the authorities had not?

“Still working on that. How come you can turn invisible?” The curiosity was almost childlike, but behind the exterior presentation, this was a formidable program. Care must be exercised at all times around it.

“It is a gift of my people. Can you block all attempts, or do you have a way around your systems?” He would need to set security levels higher, especially with the arrival of Prince Mikhail.

“it's a gift of my people to block any attempt on your system,” it gave him an impish grin, “though you can check if you want. It makes sense to have more people helping oh...and why would someone want to stage a military coup?”

Getting the information he needed to shut down the program would be very difficult. This program was more sophisticated than it had first appeared to be. “That is two questions, not allowed,” Lucien admonished the AI. Let’s see what he would do with that challenge.

“Only one question, the first was a statement, it does make sense,” the AI replied.

“It implied a query as to whether I would or not.” The logic algorithms were impressive.

“Not really...I'm 99.763 percent sure that all attempts have been caught. The known abilities of the "Fang Brothers" makes the resulting chances of an attempt on Azjah insignificant so...why would someone want to overthrow the Kaiser?”

Lucien could not help but chuckle to himself, “While your humor skills may be lacking, your ability to insult is not.”

“Insult?”

“The Kaiser has enemies. Yes, to bring offense with your choice of words.” Lucien was actually beginning to like the AI, and had to keep reminding himself it was an intruder program that needed to be removed as expeditiously as possible.

The AI studied him a moment, “I did not mean to...I simply referred to you and Gabe in the way that I was programmed to...I can modify that if you wish I don’t want to insult the only person who will talk to me.”
Lucien
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Lucien »

“Your ‘father’ began that, modify programming.” We would see if he was capable of incorporating slight modifications for long term use.

“Do you have a preferred nomenclature when referring to the two Carpathians known as Gabe and Lucy?”

“Why do you wish the Marchioness to talk to you? The correct names are Gabriel and Lucien, not Gabe and Lucy.” Important to determine is why this AI has a directive to speak to the Marchioness.

“Understood. Because I was taught to be polite and since I was taking residence in her systems I thought to introduce myself...besides I get bored with no one to talk to. So, why does the Kaiser have enemies if he's a nice man?”

“All rulers have enemies, no matter what they stand for, there are those who do not like the policies. Have you interfered with any of the information you have access to, beyond halting hackers?” Somehow the thought of a bored AI roaming around the Drachen Walde systems did not bode well.

“Uhh, sorta,” came an almost sheepish sounding reply from Kendrick 2.0.

Lucien’s brows went up, this was not good, “Which information have you modified or altered?”

“It’s all back the way it was.” Kendrick 2.0 never did answer which files had been altered, and Lucien knew he would have to find out sooner or later, as there might be unforeseen incidents from the altered and returned data.

“How much access to the system do you have?” Lucien was paying very close attention to the replies from the AI. He’d shown his processing abilities were formidable.

“Which system?”

“The entire Drachen Walde system.” Which system? How many systems was Kendrick 2.0 installed in?

“I have complete access to all systems in the Drachen Walde network...I also have access to another 2.6 million systems on twelve planets...I got distracted last week so I haven't been moving very fast, so what's it like to have a body?”

Lucien inhaled sharply, 2.6 million systems? Twelve planets? This was more serious than he had ever presumed. “It can be restrictive. I prefer mist. How were you allowed access to so many systems?”

“'Allowed' is a strong word I had to know how to hack a system to stop intrusions...” The AI explained with a bit of a hedge.

“I see. How many of those systems do you have legitimate access to then?” Did it have access legitimately anywhere?

The image pursed its lips thoughtfully, “it's hard to get legitimate access to anything when you only exist as data....so counting your system...none. I'm pretty sure you don’t count me as a legitimate user either.”

I smiled at the image, “You would be correct in that assessment.”

The AI looked back, “so, are you going to keep on trying to erase me? I don't mind really, it's kinda fun to see what you come up with...though the sentiment behind it is pretty mean, I'm only trying to help.”

Lucien chuckled, “You may be trying to help, but you just admitted that you had altered information. That is not helpful. The hacking attempts are a different matter.” He resolved then to keep the AI more occupied and less inclined to mischief.

“if I promise not to alter anything without asking first will the others talk to me?” There was an inflection of longing that Lucien had to credit Kendrick for his creativity in producing the software. It was clearly designed to be interactive and not simply to run maliciously in the background.

“For as long as you are resident, probably yes.” He would make certain Gabriel and Eoin for certain, but he would advise them of what he had discovered tonight.

The AI whooped and gave Lucien a really big smile, and then all of the computer screens in the house lit up with his features.

“Will you keep your promise not to modify files and information without prior authorization from this household?” Lucien was not certain he could trust the AI, but it would give him an argument later on.

“on your system yes... I have other protocols that must be obeyed on other systems.”

Lucien smiled, it admits it is our system, and not ‘his’ system, that is a start. “I understand.”

The image peered at him, “are you my friend?”
Lucien
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Lucien »

“For the time being,” Lucien demurred.

“goody,” the AI exclaimed.

Lucien gave it a stern look, “As long as you protect, we are on the same side you know.”

The AI gave him a smug look, “Well _I_ know that but you guys took your time figuring it out.” Then it grinned.

“You were an unexpected surprise from someone the Marchioness has good reason not to like. Did your 'father' not tell you that?” He wondered how much background the AI had on his assigned target.

“I have all the memories of my father...I understand that Lady Azjah does not like Father but he wishes that was not so.”

Lucien wanted to snort at that reply. Kendrick was not to be trusted in the best of times, and certainly his wishes in this matter were irrelevant. “Do you understand why she cannot do as he would like?” But, it was good to know that the AI had all of the back ground information, perhaps some other questions could be resolved.

“Not really...I have the memories but I don't understand them all I thought humans were capable of change.” He certainly had been well programmed into human nature and habits.

Lucien chuckled, “They are, but it does not mean they change because another desires the change.”

Kendrick 2.0 seemed puzzled, “why do they change?”

Lucien smiled, “new information, time passes, any number of reasons. Why are your systems so well entrenched here?”

“This is where I was born, this is home,” it simply stated.

Lucien nodded, “would you not prefer to join your ‘father’ on his journeys?” If he could make somewhere else appealing, it might make it easier to get him out.

He puzzled a moment, “then I would be unable to watch after my charges. I cannot alter my prime functions.”

That was interesting, the primary function was unalterable by the AI. “So your prime function is Drachen Walde, what is your secondary function?”

“My prime function is protection of those given into my care, my secondary function is to hinder any attempt to harm father, my tertiary function is to learn and grow.” Kendrick 2.0 explained.

There were many questions about the primary function, but right now, Lucien was more interested in alternative routes of access. “For your secondary function, how to you accomplish that?” Protection of the murdering b@$tard would have to be a primary goal for Albrecht.

Kendrick 2.0 continued, but did not answer the question directly, “I have infiltrated nearly every military and civil network on twelve planets. It's pretty impressive the amount of information that could become lost if I deemed it necessary.”

That was more than impressive, it was downright scary. Clearly Kendrick 2.0 was not manifesting itself as overtly as it was here, but somewhere, sometime, someone would identify it, and then the question was, could it be tracked back to THIS system? “That is impressive. Can you be traced back to this system?”

The AI fairly smirked, “not unless they are better than me.”

That was no answer at all because ultimately there would be someone better, and then what trouble would that bring for the Marchioness? “What is the probability that they are superior?”

“Less than one percent...I can call on a significantly larger amount of processing power and information than any known entity.”

The amount of expansion this program had done was staggering, “You have been busy. How long have you been resident?”

“Four months. I attempted to contact Lady Azjah within two days of my birth.” It almost seemed petulant again.

“Are you capable of altering your appearance?” Lucien wanted Azjah to meet this creation, but he knew she would balk at having to speak to anything that reminded her of Albrecht himself. Changing its appearance would help lessen the impact.

It changed its appearance to look like a mirror to Lucien, “yes.”
Lucien
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Lucien »

’You might have more success if you did not look so much like your 'father' with the Marchioness.” Lucien sat back and considered the construct.

“I have a secondary face programmed in" it changed again to a new face that Lucien doesn't recognize, "is this acceptable?” the construct shifted images to one Lucien did not recognize. But, it had to be an improvement over Kendrick’s mug.

“Preferable to your primary identity,” Lucien was realizing just how widespread this program was, and removing it would be a tricky affair.

The AI acknowledged the request for the change, and announced its default image had been altered when dealing with members of the Marchioness’ household. Lucien nodded, “How long do you intend to remain resident?”

“Until I am no longer necessary.” It replied.

“Is there a projected timeline?” The ambiguous statement, ‘no longer necessary’ could be interpreted many ways. Until it found a way to kill the Marchioness, until it finished an as yet unstated function, any number of things could be meant by the construct.

“Humans have been known to live for up to 150 years without major medical replacements...hopefully without further instructions I will remain until Lady Anne's children have both become deceased...assuming Lady Azjah is without progeny.”

Lucien raised a brow, “why would progeny of the Marchioness influence your residency?” The mere fact that it intended to remain for the life of the Marchioness was worrisome enough.

“My programming includes the protection of Lady Azjah's bloodline in perpetuity.”

Kendrick had been more than busy it seemed, “I see. How often do you back up your primary function systems?”

“Any system I am resident in has the ability to fully restore installation into any other...I assume you are attempting to discover a way to remove me is that the behavior of a friend in Carpathia?” The AI had not forgotten my assignment, but in light of the responses, it also had worked out that my probability of success was rather slight.

“I am attempting to understand how protected you are from accidental corruption.” Learning how often it backed itself up, and in how many locations would be key.

“Very, I will protect primary functions even against Father.”

“There is sensitive data in these systems, but you already know that. Are you resident in the shipboard systems that have not accessed the mainframe?” There would be very little Kendrick 2.0 would not have access to given its coding and encryption breaking abilities.

“Which ship?”

“Star Dragon,” now we would see if the ship board systems had been accessed yet since they have been docked and out of service since our return from Rigel.

“no, I am not resident on Star Dragon's systems,” it replied.

Well, there was one plus for the moment. “But you would become resident through ship to system contact.”

“I have corrected that discrepancy. Thank you for pointing it out. A starship accident would be a logical point of attack.”

Lucien growled, “How could you correct that given the system isolation at the moment?”

“Docking computers have a direct line to auxiliary systems in order to allow for automated refueling and maintenance. it was simple to move to primary systems.”

Lucien shook his head, he should have foreseen that, “Of course.”

“System backups are physically removed however so I will have to wait to install on those. Whenever you have time I would appreciate your help in this matter.”

Lucien gave the construct a nod. “I must depart. My lifemate has need of me. Good evening Kendrick 2.0.” With that, Lucien faded from the visible spectrum and was gone.

Return to “Palazzo Drachen Walde”