New Beginnings

Transplanted Rigelian and her adventures in the Nexus world of RhyDin and
beyond.

Moderator: Azjah von Drachen Walde

Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Azjah von Drachen Walde »

I gave Syous a radiant smile, “Yes Syous, he is. There is only one other man I kiss, and that’s Brigath, and then only on the cheek.”

Brig glanced at me then, and chuckled, and I winked back at him before focusing again on Syous, “Of course, that was different before I met Klinton.” I let that hang there and smiled as Kyndra waved toward Klinton and I, and Klinton blew her a kiss.

Syous grinned as he turned toward Klinton, looking down at the extended hand for a moment before taking it as he quickly shook his hand and gave another sarcastic murmur, “you have my deepest sympathies.”

Klinton nodded, and smiled up at Syous, “Eh, she has a great chef.” I almost burst out laughing then.

Syous shuddered visibly at the memory, knowing the name and associating it with the Girls Night Out discussion I was having with Kaja Adair, and remembering that it was that night that began our bantering relationship perhaps. “So I’ve heard, so I’ve heard,” was about all he managed to get out at Klinton’s comment as he paused and glanced at me a moment, “he must really be a great chef.”

I gave a merry laugh then at his shudder, “Perhaps Andre was not the best subject to bring up Klinton,” and I glanced then at the ring as Mask tried to touch fearsome thoughts into Brig, who was just announcing, “You think I LIKE getting scared out of my pants?” I snickered playfully as I looked at Brig assessingly, “Yes.”

Brig pointed at me from his ring, “Quiet you.”

Klinton looked a bit confused, but dismissed it, “fair enough.”

I gave Brig a sweet smile, “I have a great Major Domo too!” And winked playfully at Klinton.

Kyndra chuckled, “Well, I wouldn’t exactly say scared.”

I gave her a charming smile, knowing all the while Syous was scandalized by our playfulness, “Kyndra, any excuse to get out of his pants works, but, he does look good in a bathing suit.”

Brig snorted, “That’s cause I don’t wear one!” He grinned at me then.

Kyndra chuckled merrily, “Good point Azjah! Good point Brig!”

I flashed Brig a grin, “I know.”

Klinton flexed slightly, as if to say, “but I look better, right?”

Brig raised a brow at Klinton’s pose, “not bad.”

I reached up to lay my fingertips on Klinton’s arm, “But, I wouldn’t trade” I told Brig with a wink. Klinton leaned over and whispered to me just as Brig chimed in to Klinton, “I wouldn’t kick you out of bed,”

I blushed furiously at Klinton’s teasing whisper, as Syous glanced between Klinton and myself, and another slight sigh escaped him, his murmur more for himself than anything, but I heard it due to his proximity. “Yes, the peace could only last so long, just so long.”

Klinton grinned at Brigath, “I’m deeply honored Brig.”

Kyndra raised a brow as she heard Syous mutter as well, then she looked at me, “so who is the sarcastic one?” She motioned her head in Syous’ direction.

I grinned at her, “an old coot I met here one night.” Then I gave Klinton a questioning look, “So you and Brig are a thing now my dear?”

Kyndra chuckled, “I don’t even know him, but old coot sure does seem to fit.” Then she gave Syous an assessing glance.

“Oh, trust me Kyndra, it fits.” I chuckled softly as Klinton and Brigath continued to tease on another.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Baroness von Drachen Walde
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Syous glared in Kyndra’s direction as she too began to call him by one of my pet names for the old curmudgeon. “I am NOT an old coot!”

Klinton wrapped his arms around me then, “only as much a thing as YOU and Brig are.” He nuzzled my neck a moment. Brig looked like he was about to say something, but then shut his mouth as Klinton gave me an answer. I leaned against him a moment, “good” I whispered back. Klinton gave me a varlet’s grin then, “He does keep me warm on lonely nights though,” and then he shot Brig a grin.

I chuckled, “He is warm, isn’t he?” Klinton tightened his arms around me and gave me a dreamy sigh.

Syous on the other hand raised both arms to his sides, “what on earth about me seems old?” His tone was one of utter exasperation.

I lifted a pale brow at Syous, “Do you really want to know?” I knew he didn’t, but I had to ask.

Kyndra smiled at Syous then, “I didn’t actually call you an old coot, I just said I could see how it would fit.”

Syous gave her another cold glare that then passed to me, and began muttering at me, “You know my answer.”

I winked at him, “And THAT Syous is how you earned the ‘old coot’ badge.”

Syous blinked then as he turned his attention once more on Kyndra, he looked like he was composing a response to her, but did not follow through on it.

I chuckled softly at Klinton, “So, have you decided where you want to put our guests? It seems the entourage is larger than I thought it would be.” Topaz did not seem to be paying me any attention, so I felt it safe to discuss the Prince’s visit while she was distracted.

Klinton thought for a moment, “Why don’t we get some rooms with Matt?”

Kyndra was dueling Brigath, and she quickly slipped into a tight fitting armor that showed off every curve to perfection, “Oh, it’s been a long time since I’ve had this on,” and she gave Brig a temptresses smile, “what do you think? Do I still have it?”

Brig gave her a grin that spelled sin all over it, “Yah baby, and then some!”

She winked at Brig’s compliment, “thaaannnnk yooooouuuu!”

I winced a bit hearing the banter, realizing that I could not pull off such a pose any longer, and it would be a very long time before I could, then blinking from my distraction at Klinton’s answer, “Matt?” Who was Matt?

“Simon, Matt Simon” Klinton gave me a look, leaning closer, “You alright?”

I nodded, but cast a longing look at Kyndra’s lithe figure before saying, “You don't want to put them in the guest suites? Or should we reserve those for the Prince himself, and put the others at Matt's?”

He kissed my temple then, “Well, the Prince will certainly have his personal assistants for those rooms. And, if worse came to worse, the stables are certainly nice enough! If you would dare leave your horses out for a few nights.”

I rested my head against his shoulder, “With wolves in the woods, I don't think that would work.” I had missed his teasing tone about the beauty of our stables, and that he was not truly serious. “And there was a big cat at the neighbor's that took a pair of calves from his cattle.”

He chuckled, “Just making a jab at your extravagance.” Then he gave me a hug, “shall I talk to Matt then?”

I nodded tiredly, “That would probably be a good idea, but make sure he knows its for a royal entourage.”

Syous sighed as he turned back toward me, again, as if he wanted to say something more, but once again, words failed to come, and he resorted to simply shaking his head as he closed his eyes for a least a moment out of the spot light Kyndra and I had put him into.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

I glanced with a smile at Syous, “cat got your tongue old boy?”

Syous turned toward Topaz then, and inquired in a tone that was entirely too innocent for the old grouch, “I don’t suppose I could trade you your doll for one of Azjah’s, could I?” The only thing missing from his entreaty was to have said ‘pretty please, with a cherry on top.’

Topaz glanced at Syous, “I was not aware of the existence of an Azjah doll. Are you unhappy with your dolls?”

Syous gave another sigh that denoted his disappointment, “No, no, you are just…. Much more ‘tame’ in comparison.” Then he glanced pointedly in my direction.

Kyndra had unleashed Brig’s favorite spell using one of the skunks I’d given her, and chuckled at Brig’s expression, “well, I didn’t really mean to do it,” as she pointed at the skunk, “it was his fault.”

Syous lifted a brow at her and asked how she’d ‘earned’ the skunk, and she chuckled, “I earned it in a way from Azjah, by giving a wrong answer.”

I winked then at Kyndra, and asked if she was going to try for another skunk on the morrow, and she shooed the skunk from her ring, “Well, I think I’ll try for your other prize,” she smiled softly.

“Wonderful!” I told her then, and turned pale blue gaze on Syous, “Will you be joining us tomorrow?” Not that I expected him to, but it would be rude not to inquire.

Syous peered back at me, as if he expected trouble each time I spoke to him, “Excuse me?”

Kyndra grinned, “Yes, will you be on the Isle tomorrow? I want to see if old coot really does fit.”

Syous glanced between us with a nearly blank expression, “please tell me you’re not having ‘another’ one of your ‘events’.”

I dropped my head with a smile upon hearing Kyndra, and worked to compose my features into a straight face for Syous, “Every 4th Tuesday Syous, I hold a challenge night. At the end of twelve challenges, the holder of the most Drachen Walde flags will win a Staff of Enchantment from Klinton and I.”

Brig slipped out of his ring and looked at Syous, “What’s wrong with Azjah’s ‘events’?”

I smiled at Brig as Syous lifted a brow, as if he couldn’t believe anything with me was just that simple, “What’s the catch?”

Kyndra was chuckling softly, “what are you giving for the one with the most skunks? And Enscented Staff?”

Brig about died with laughter at that, and I glanced up at Klinton with a mischievous grin, “What should we give for the holder of the most boobie prizes?”

Brig fairly shouted, “Boobies!!!!!!!!!!”

Klinton chuckles softly, “a bra?”

Topaz chuckled, “perhaps a year’s worth of skunk food?”

I laughed hearing Topaz, “Now there’s an idea!”

Syous turned and gave Brigath the ‘hairy eyeball’ and looked again like he truly wanted to respond before more fun brok out, but then simply closed his eyes to retain some composure.

I spoke up then, “Syous, the contest is a geography trivia night and to get a clue, you must win a match.” Then I glanced at Kyndra and whispered, “coot.” She chuckled softly.

Brig regained his outward composure and looked at Syous once more, “Sorry about that, you were about to say?”

Klinton wrapped his arms around me, pulling me close to his chest, “how’s the baby treating you tonight?”

I smiled up at him and leaned against his chest comfortably, “At night? She’s fine, but she hates me in the morning.”

He looked at my still flat belly, rubbing gently, “well, it’s gotta be hot in there.”

With a soft laugh, “Klinton, she's going to get a lot hotter before she joins the world.”
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Syous turned back to me, though there was still suspicion in his eyes, “no swimsuit donning chefs, or lingerie wearing duelists?”

Brig glared at me, “Lingerie wearing duelists? Hey! Why wasn’t I invited to that event??”

I had to stifle a smirk at Brig as I answered Syous first, “Not at all Syous. It’s on the up and up, but you must come up with the City AND the country,” then I did smirk at Brig, “no Brig, you were not.”

Kyndra chuckled, “now that sounds more like the beach party,” as she listened to Syous.

Brig gave a harrumph, “I've got a black lace teddy that's to die for and I never have a good occasion to wear it.”

I nearly choked on my water hearing Brig, “And you never showed me?? Now I AM crushed!”

Syous seemed to ponder long moment before shrugging, “perhaps I’ll at least take a look then.” He narrowed his eyes slightly at me, “though, knowing you, it wouldn’t surprise me if you tried to pull something.”

I nodded at Syous, “The contest is serious business. The Staff of Enchantment is a very expensive item, and I want someone appropriate to win it.”

Brig stuck his nose in the air, “Invite me to the lingerie party next time!”

Klinton laughed, and so did I, but what surprised me was Syous, as he nodded in agreement, “Yes, yes, invite him, NOT me.” I was shocked, humor from the old coot?

I smiled radiantly at Brig, “deal Brig, but it will be awhile before we have another one. I am…. Well…” and I just couldn’t finish that thought, but I knew I would not look good in lingerie for a very long time.

Klinton grinned at my hesitation, “She’s impregnated!”

Brig chuckled merrily, “so? Why should that stop you?”

I glanced up at Klinton with a worried look before leaning over to whisper to him what was troubling me. Then I glanced at Syous as he shuddered, as if he were contemplating the portly chef in a swimsuit or some such image, “My contest nights are safe Syous, even for your sensibilities.”

“Good..” Syous muttered, “it's hard to believe you would take something seriously considering the antics you seem to encite...” he paused and pondered his words as he glanced at Klinton, “but perhaps your husband there has simmered some of that flare.”

I gave Syous a quick smile, “As you said of my knowledge of you, you simply do not know me very well.”

He grinned slightly at my retort, “Fair enough, fair enough.”

Klinton simply smiled, and said somewhat loudly for those assembled, “Baby, you are gorgeous, and will always be.” Then he looked at Brigath, “You think she’ll still be hot after she has this kid?”

I blushed furiously and could feel the heat of it all the way to my toes, “Klinton! Shhh!” He simply smiled at me.

Brig chuckles at Klinton then, “I refuse to answer on the grounds that you are her husband and I shouldn't speak of your wife in that manner in your presence.”

Klinton kissed my forehead, “see, you’ll still be a hottie.”

Kyndra laughed, “Azjah will still be sexy when she’s 9 months pregnant. She just has that special quality about her.” I shook my head at Kyndra, as I very much doubt that.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

I gave Brig a look, “Hey, you’re the only man with the right to an opinion, besides Klinton.”

He raised a challenging brow at me, “Are you certain you want me to share that opinion in public like this?”

I smiled, not truly expecting Brig to say anything to the crowd, “Ah Brig, you never cease to surprise me.”

Klinton then grinned at Brigath, “we’re on your turf, go right ahead.”

Chuckling, I raised my hand at Brigath, “no, don’t purger yourself Brig.”

He looked at Klinton and then at me, “Ummm, hmmm, how to put this in an appropriate manner….”

Klinton wrapped me up soundly, “don’t pay attention to her, let’s hear it,”

Brig chuckled, “tell you what, I’ll share it with you Klint, and you can make the decision if its fit for public consumption,” and with that he walked over and whispered to Klinton.

I paled then, “No! no no no! Brigath Cedran!!!” If he told Klinton, Klinton WOULD repeat it to the group. He was laughing merrily as Brigath continued to whisper to him. Then Brig stepped back and waggled his brows at Klinton.

I darted off the chaise to run and hide behind Syous and his robes. Klinton grinned at Brigath, shook his hand “my sentiments exactly.”

Syous shook his head as he glanced between the three of us, as if to say this was a prime example of the ‘antics’ that seemed to follow me around, and much to his detriment.

I muttered from behind Syous, “where is Harris’ sand monster when I need it?”

Klinton smiled dangerously, “All I will say Azjah is that it start with M and ends with ILF.” Brig simply winked at us both and wrapped an arm around Kyndra to sweep her away into a ring.

I peered around from behind Syous and his robes, and Syous glanced behind him at me, shaking his head even more, “Having you here is enough, we don’t need to add Harris to the mix to incite even more chaos.”

I lifted a pale brow at Syous, “Allow me to ask you a serious question?”

He peered at me then, still suspicious, and apparently uncomfortable at having me behind him, “what?”

“Syous, do you know how to let your hair down and have a little light hearted fun? I offend you with pure fun, and that is not my intention.” Clearly he abhorred my bits of fun and teasing, and I did not wish him to take it so seriously.

His expression quickly matched the seriousness of my question as he responded, “I am not here to have 'fun' as you call it Azjah. I come to the isle to duel... nothing more, nothing less.” He paused then.

I nodded, “I shall endeavor to remember that. Good evening to you.”

Klinton then smiled, “and with that, I believe I shall retire.”

I lifted a brow at him, “Ack! You'd leave me here with an old coot and those two?” as I pointed at Brig and Kyndra.

Klinton laughed, “I trust Brig with you perhaps more than I trust myself.”

Syous glanced upwards towards the night sky as I referred to him as an ‘old coot’ once again. Kyndra chuckled, “those two? I feel loved.”

Brig started to say something, but closed his mouth at Klinton’s comment, and I moved toward Klinton, I was ready to go as well, “I'll come with you Klinton, I'd like to discuss the presentation program if you have time?”

He nodded happily, “Always have time for you darling,” he nodded then at Syous, “A pleasure meeting you.”

Syous nodded deeply toward Klinton, “Good luck,” and followed it with a slight grin. Then he glanced at me, “Don't worry about offending me, if you truly were offending me, you'd know it.”

Klinton wrapped an arm around me and we headed for the portal.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

The guests had arrived from Auriga, and Mikhail and Raven were exploring around RhyDin as Azjah arrived at Twilight Isle. Gregori had gone into solitude in the desert. Jacques and Shea were at Matt’s place in town, and several others were staying in various locations, but all in all, everyone was here. In fact, they were going to awaken Gabriel tonight for the first time since his attack.

I headed toward my chaise, sending a goblin for a glass of sparkling water and fresh lime as I settled in for the Trivia Challenge night.

As I got comfortable, a man stumbled through the portal and looked about slowly, “By the Gods I am not taking that way again,” he declared. I laughed, “It's the only way onto the Isle.”

He grinned, “Damn...guess I'll have to put up with it....so...how does this...work?”

I smiled, and inquired if he was new to the Isle, and he grinned, “Yes as new as anyone could be I guess..first time is tonight.”

Taking a sip of my water, I welcomed him to Twilight Isle and the Duel of Magic. “We have a series of allowed spells that you cast at other users of magic. The more wins you amass the higher your rank goes, the more spells become available to you. And tonight is the Trivia Challenge night for this month.”

He began to make his way toward me, “Well slap me and call me gramps I am lucky.”

“I don't think I'll slap you, but I can call you gramps.” I told him with a merry laugh.

He flashed me a bright grin, “no thanks..miss..just an expression, I'm not even 35 yet.”

We bantered back and forth for a bit as we waited for more to arrive for the night’s festivities, and he asked my name. I told him, and suggested that Jake Lee Catron either flag down a goblin, or head for the bar himself for whatever he enjoyed drinking.

Querylon appeared on the beach, and I took the opportunity to introduce Jake Lee Catron to Querylon, and the two of them arranged the first duel of the night.

Tass moved through the portal then, and walked slowly across the sand toward the small group, and Alais greeted him with a faint smile which Tass returned with a tired looking smile of his own, “evenin hun.”

Kyndra made her way toward Tass, “good evening to you...I'm sorry to hear you're tired.” He gave her a wink and explained that he had had little sleep this past month, and Alais seemed to wince, as though she had some inside knowledge about his sleeplessness.

As I greeted the newly arrived, Anne floated through the portal, her purplish mist twisting and turning until it resembled the woman I had called my friend. She floated cross legged above the sand as I announced that tonight was Trivia Night, “Tonight is Trivia Night, don't let August be like July where there was no winner of a Drachen Walde flag.”

Tass and Anne accepted a ring and they bantered a moment about Caleb, and I remembered what Kendrick 2.0 had told Lucien. I had to smile at that.

The currently reigning Overlord from Duel of Swords arrived then, and was greeted as befit a man of such title, and found himself minus his lovely bride to be, Anjolie. When I asked him if they had set a date yet, he shook his head, “No date yet, bu' I think Quinn is tryin' t'set sumthin' up wit' Tera's weddin' services.” He chuckled, “I do know I wanna have the ceremony on Overlord Isle. 'N all our friends are gunna be invited. Includin' ever'a single onna ya'll here.”

The question there was could he hang onto the Island long enough to reach his wedding day?
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

As I was watching my rings, Klinton appeared through the portal, and began to walk toward me. He smiled brightly, “Evening beautiful!” I slid over on my chaise hoping he would come and sit with me rather than grab his own chair, and he obliged, placing a kiss gently upon my lips and then his arm around my shoulders. It felt wonderful to just lean against him while I watched my duelists.

When I told him I was happy to see him, he simply nodded, and we began to talk about those guests that we had put up at Matt Simon’s place. It was a great relief that he took care of those arrangements since between Andre and Dyson, my day had been completely wrapped up with detail management.

He asked me how I was tonight, and I snuggled against him, “I’m tired, but it’s wonderful to have you here to keep me awake.” He grinned impishly and poked me in the ribs, “WAKE UP!” Then he gave me one of his most charming smiles.

Cory was faced off with Kyndra, and I heard him lament, “So we're duelin' fo' a chance t'answer a trivia question? I's nev'a was good at trivia, or pop quizzes.” Kyndra laughed, and I missed what her reply to him was as she continued to lead the match.

The white wolf Kayla trotted out from the trees, and gazed around the isle briefly before padding over to sit near Kyndra’s ring to wait for the woman, and Alais watched the wolf intently for a few moments until Syous arrived on the Southern side of the Isle. He headed for the rings, nodding greetings to some of those gathered.

I snuggled closer to Klinton, “mmm, I'd rather snuggle and drift off to sleep,” I purred at him, and he squeezed me lightly, “I'm sorry baby. How much longer you got?” I had about 45 minutes left, and looked up with a teasing smile, “Unless you want to finish and I can snuggle and nap?”

He laughed, “If I had any knowledge of magic, you know I would.”

I glanced at Syous as I told him I knew he would, but alas, I would need to remain until Kyndra changed into her uniform. As Syous approached, I smiled, “Well Syous, glad you could join us.”

Syous turned in my direction, peering a moment before glancing around the Isle as if he sought to ensure that no one was without clothing, nor displaying lingerie. When he looked back at me, he mutters, “It seems it is "safe" after all...”

I gave him a sweet smile then glanced up at Klinton, “Perhaps you can put Syous at ease?” Clearly I could not.

Syous noted that 3 rings were in use, and a smile quirked his lips momentarily as Klinton gave me an odd look, “Why would I do that?”

I grinned and lowered my voice, “because the old coot needs some lightening up.”

Klinton glanced at Syous, “DO you need lightening up?”

Syous turned back toward Klinton and I, the grin he had from the rings being busy fading quickly, and he replaced it with a cold stare as I mentioned his favorite new pet name. Where upon, I gave him the sweetest smile I could muster.

He gave Klinton a stern expression, “No, I do not believe I do... until your wife here started showing up on the isle I doubt anyone else would have ever thought as much.”

Kyndra had commented about the ‘coot’ as well, and he shot her a lethal look, it seemed the name had not only stuck, but others felt it fit him to a tee.

Klinton rose, “Well...our guests are in town. I suppose I will entertain.”

Syous gave him a quick look, as he placed a kiss on my forehead, “You're not taking her with you tonight?” There was an almost pleading tone to his voice. But, Klinton simply chuckled and continued to head for the portal.

I glanced at Syous with a wink, “Care to sit here?” I patted the recently vacated place on the chaise beside me.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Syous muttered, “I’ll take that as a no,” then turned back toward me, “No... I think I prefer keeping a bit of distance...”

I laughed merrily, “I actually don’t bite Syous.”

He nodded slightly at Kyndra’s greeting, then looked back at me, “No... but I think it's best to be wary...” But, he failed to take note of a small dragonet that was stalking across the sand in his direction, and it looked like it wanted to take a chunk out of his leg and was making a direct line toward the mage.

Tass nodded at Kyndra and slipped from the ring, moving toward Alais, and deftly scooped up the little dragon as it determinedly made its way toward the old curmudgeon, holding it gently in his arm as he moved. The little dragon chirruped at Tass but the metallic eyes were locked on Syous.

Tass spoke softly to the little one, telling him that, he kept telling him Syous would not taste very good.

Cory then noticed Syous’ arrival, and spoke up loudly enough for all to hear, “Syous! Ya ol’ coot!”

Syous groaned as Cory called him an old coot too, “not you too.”

Cory chuckled, “'ey now. I can be classified in the same boat as ya.”

Syous pondered a moment, “that’s not very comforting.” He continued to mutter, “it's one thing to consider yourself an "old-coot"... it's quite different when others consider you an "old-coot".”

Anjolie sauntered casually through the portal then, and gave a quick salute to the favorites of hers that were upon the Isle.

Alais chuckled at Tass, “le’ ‘im bite ‘im, ‘t migh’ teach ‘im a lesson.” Tass laughed and had to agree.

I grinned at Syous, having heard his lament, “Ah, but you see Syous, it fits you so well.”

He turned back toward me, and caught side of Alais as she had moved along with Tass, and then Syous paused to glance at the ground around him. Alais moved to speak with the old codger, “Mine apologies Syous, th’ creature doth nae seem tae li’ ye.” Tass continued to hold the wee dragon. “Ah dinnae ken why 'e ist sae bound 'n d'termined tae seek ye oot.”

Syous seemed to be ensuring that the feisty creature was no where near him before cautiously glancing at Alais, “That I gathered the previous evening...”

Cory continued to match wits and spells with his opponent, but I heard him say, “ya better win this, I dun feel like embarassin’ m’self by getting’ th’ trivia question wrong.” And Anjolie approached me, “Evenin', lady. No luck on locatin' a pony yet, but I've got a few places in mind ta check out this next week."

I told her we were in no great hurry, that the request was more to keep her eyes and ears open, and then I saw Syous move, placing his back against one of the empty rings to give him ‘cover’ from the wee dragon, he glanced at me, “I still fail to see how "old-coot" is a fitting term.” He seemed awfully nervous about getting bitten by the small dragon.

Tass let the dragonet go then, and took a seat.

I glanced at Syous, “Syous my old man, you are a kill joy, and have zero sense of humor around here, and thus, you are an old, old coot.”

Syous gave me a cold look, “Perhaps if I were old and grey, and I had nothing better to do than scare children away, I would accept such a label... but I hardly see myself fitting the description.”

I sized up Syous a long moment, “Oh, it fits.”

He snorted slightly but missed the impending approach of the little dragon, “I hardly see how that justified such a label. The isle was not created for "fun and games" despite whatever it is you may believe.”

I gave Syous a soft laugh, “Sport is one thing, and can have friendships, this is not war, it's not meant to be violence, and you're just an old sour puss.”
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Alais watched as the little dragon charged for Syous, shaking her head at Tass, “’e’ll learn a verra ‘ard lesson.” It skittered beneath the chairs and sand sputtered from beneath its taloned feet. Its metallic eyes locked on Syous’ boots. As it reached the chair next to the mage, it snapped out, locking its jaws around the ankle of the boot.

Anjolie eyed the small creature in the sand a moment, and her expression suggested that she didn’t think the Isle would ever be a ‘normal’ place.

Syous was still debating with me, “it was created as a venue to pit ones strengths against another. I see no value in the mindless banter that you seem to incite whenever you visit the isle,” his tone was practically venomous. “and so you have my deepest apologies if I somehow "subdue" your fun.” Right about then he felt the bite from the dragonet. “OW!”

“To you it is mindless banter, to the rest of us there is fun or entertainment; that is precisely why you are an old coot.” I told him, and then I chuckled seeing the dragonet attached firmly to his ankle, “I would never permit you to subdue my fun Syous.”

Syous hopped at the sudden striking pain, his gaze immediately looking down at the dragonet that had its teeth solidly sunk into his boot. He began trying to stomp at it to get it to release its grip, and the pain grew in intensity as it dug in and clung even more tightly.

The wee dragon hissed as it hung on for dear life to the ankle and the boot. Alais smiled and called the dragonet in that mellifluous language she uses, but the little one was too busy hanging on for dear life at that moment.

Syous tried kicking his foot quite violently in an attempt to throw the little creature from his ankle, his teeth were gritted at the pain and in his concentration to rid himself of the pain, but, the small creature simply wrapped its tail around his calf and continued to clamp its jaws down.

Syous managed to regain a little of his composure then, despite what must have been significant pain being inflicted by the small dragon and raised an arm as though he were contemplating releasing a bolt of magic on the dragonet.

As though it understood the peril it was in, the dragonet hissed and released Syous, flying in a bee line straight for Tass.

Tass chuckled as he was used once again as a shield for the wee one. It landed upon his shoulder and chittered in an agitated manner, then nuzzled Tass, saying something in dragon to him. *He tastes like rotten eggs.*

Tass grinned at the little one on his shoulder, “told you.”

Syous grimaced at the wound from the dragonet, his jaws clenched quite tightly as he leaned himself back against the empty ring, lifting his leg up to inspect the bite to his ankle.

The dragonet chittered some more and cast it’s metallic gaze once more upon Syous.

Syous gently pulled off his boot, trying not to aggravate the wound as he took a closer look, rubbing it slightly before casting some minor curatives upon himself to numb the remnant pain. He then narrowed his eyes as he glanced in Tass’ general direction, and caught sight of the metallic gaze of the small dragon that had just bitten him. Then he gave Alais a glance before returning his focused attention on the dragonet, “If it tries anything like that again... your "pet" wont be around much longer.”

Alais gave Syous a small smile, “He hath taken a mislike tae ye, 'n fer tha' Ah dae apologize.”

Syous turned back toward Alais, his tone rather stern, “:It'd be in the dragonet's best interest if you keep it in control when you bring it with you to the isle.”

Alais lifted a sable brow at Syous, “Ah'd li' tae dae tha', bu' 'e ist a free creature m'lord.”
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Syous slowly put his boot back on, gingerly putting weight back onto the foot bitten by the dragonet. His eyes narrowed slightly at her response, it had clearly not been what he wanted to hear. Then he looked back toward the dragonet, “Then as I said... its actions will have consequences.”

Alais called the dragonet to her and walked toward Syous. Kyndra admonished him, “now don't hurt that little one...my goodness...it's just a baby.”

He gave Kyndra a bewildered look, “It just bit me!”

I chuckled, “Be glad it wasn’t full grown Syous, think of the tooth marks then!”

Syous muttered to no one in particular, “I suppose my reaction to getting bit also falls into your category of an "old-coot" right? It's just me not having fun.” He shook his head in what could only be described as disgust at me, “Had it been full grown, I would not have been so careless to let you distract me.”

Kyndra snickered, “well..maybe it was just a love bite, you're just so lovable.”

Syous feigned a sincere smile back in Kyndra’s direction, it was not as creepy as one of Esper’s, but it was close, and Kyndra shuddered.

Alais had moved close enough to speak to Syous, but not close enough for the dragonet to take another piece out of the man, “ar’ ye alrigh’?”

Syous glanced between Alais and the dragonet, nodding slightly, “I am, but I do not take kindly to being bitten.”

She nodded in understanding, “Nay, Ah'm ascertes ye dinnae, Ah rather thought ye'd teach 'im a lesson 'n manners, bu' ye didst nae.”

Syous muttered some more, peering at the dragonet again, “I should’ve, unfortunately, I was a bit too busy trying to get it to release its bite. Should it try it again though, believe me it will learn its lesson, and then some.”

Alais gave him a long look, “Ah'd ask ye nae tae 'urt 'im, bu' manners 're important.”
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Kyndra tried to keep a straight face, but failed, “probably one taste of you is enough for the little dragon.”

I couldn’t resist any longer, “If that little dragon had any sense, he'd get some antiseptic to drink.” And Kyndra had to cover her mouth to keep from bursting out laughing.

Alais glanced at Kyndra and I as she spoke with Syous, “'f th' bite doth nae 'eal, ye'll le' me ken?”

Kyndra grinned at Alais, “I was more worried for the wee one.”

Syous nodded at Alais slightly, “As long as it controls itself, I'll have no need to do it harm, should it attack again however; I will defend myself.” Then he shot me a cold look, my jab having hit home apparently, but then he looked at Alais, “it will heal.”

Alais gave him an assessing look, “Ye mayst d'fend yerself, bu' nae 'urt th' wee one.” She then gave Syous a nod, “Nae,' f ye'll excuse me, Ah've a d'sire tae duel.“

I snickered as Anne and I had been speaking about dinner, and she wanted to bring a young woman over for me to interview as her replacement. The details had been set, and I was just introducing Anne to Topaz, explaining that Lucien had found his lifemate, and that Topaz was it. But Syous’ words dragged my attention back to him, “Good reason for that, not only is coot not good for you, but sometimes it's just rotten.”

Syous shrugged at Alais, as he focused on the dragonet, “If I am forced to defend, you can be assured someone will be hurt.”

Alais paused and turned back toward Syous, “dae ye 'urt th' wee one, ye'll deal wi' me.”

Syous’ eyes seemed to flicker, “so be it.”

Somehow I do not believe Syous understood the challenge he threw at a mage capable of bringing several very large, very adult dragons into the mix. She gave him a curt nod of clear understanding between them.

Clearly Syous felt himself to be in the right, but just as clearly, he had no idea just how serious retribution could be should he hurt the little dragonet. And it seemed as though just for good measure, the little dragon hissed once more at Syous as Alais prepared to depart.

Kyndra snickered as she looked between the dragonet and Syous, “I think that was dragon for ‘old coot’.”

Alais glanced at Kyndra, mellifluous laughter riffling from her, “th' dragonet didst say 'e didst taste li' rotten eggs.”

Syous peered between Kyndra and Alais, clearly his view that an infection was running rampant was written all over his face, and Alais chuckled seeing it. Then Syous resolutely focused on the duels in the ring, but the metallic eyes of the little one were locked on its quarry. It did not appear that things were finished between Syous and the dragonet.

Alais rose as the last spell was cast in Tass’ ring and she moved toward it, and the dragonet hopped from Alais to Tass. Anne’s voice reached them with a request to join Tass when he returned to the Emerald Isles, but then he studied Alais again, absently scritching the dragonet on his shoulder, and giving Syous a soft chuckle seeing his expression.

Alais paused to speak to Tass, something about making preparations to return to Matlal, and asking Tass to let Khirsah know where she could be found. Tass smiled, “I'm sure he will know.. but I will pass the word in any case.”

Alais did not seem pleased by something and she shrugged, and Tass advised her to rest easy, as apparently this Khirsah had surprised her before, and probably would again. She held out her arm for the dragonet, and vanished just before the portal.

Anne by then had left me to walk with Artemus, and so I wrapped up my things and departed for the Palazzo without even rubbing it in to Syous that there had been no lingerie showing, and no lascivious doings tonight, as I had promised him.

He was rubbing his ankle gently and murmuring to himself as I left, probably muttering that he should have stayed away from the isle even though I were not to blame for his ‘pain’.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Things were hectic at the Palazzo, with the entourage from Auriga here, and the staff wanting to make the guests comfortable, but their desire to please was laced with a bit of awe and maybe just a little fear at having 16 people in the house who only consumed blood.

Gregori and Gabriel had gone out hunting and catching up on things as they stood in RhyDin, while Mikhail had a look at the virus Kendrick had placed into the Drachen Walde systems. He enjoyed electronic things, and the computers were something he could lose himself in for hours, well, unless Raven was about. Lucien had told me about his ‘discussion’ with the AI, and Mikhail was fascinated by such technology.

Jacques and Shea kept mostly to themselves, Jacques was still not completely himself after the Society's nearly successful attempt to end his life. And Shea was careful to keep him calm and distracted as much as possible. She was also keeping an eye on Gabriel after his ordeal with the acid, but pronounced him fit.

Julien and Alexandra seemed to like to walk in the vineyards, and made several suggestions to the head gardeners how to improve the output of the vines. Julien had always had a darker side, a loner from the start, and he kept to that tendency now. He also seemed to avoid Gregori where possible.

All in all, life was very hectic and the chance for me to escape to the Isle for the Arch Mage challenge seemed like a heavenly break. I stepped through the portal and headed for my chaise shortly before the challenge was to begin. Lucien was to arrive later, and for the moment it was just Jake and I.

Topaz floated down form the Citadel with a nervous smile, “good evening Azjah.”

I was not certain if her nervousness was from the challenge, or if she and Lucien had still not resolved her issue over the clothing he had purchased for her. “Are things smoothed over?”

She nodded, “Yes, I think so.” And when I told her I was glad to hear it, she smiled, “Not half as glad as I am.”

The goblin brought my water, and Jake asked who was challenging Topaz. I told him it was Syous Myst, and he chuckled, “The old man? Well, this should be fun to watch.” I had to chuckle, it was a good thing Syous wasn’t here to hear Jake’s comment, for I have little doubt that he would blame me, and yet, I couldn’t resist answering Jake, “The old curmudgeon himself.”

Jalieeisa arrived and slid into an empty chair. Her mating to Che seemed to have agreed with her, but Che was still keeping her under a shield of protection. She asked who was challenging Topaz, and when I told her Syous, she grinned, “Ahh, I recall reading about him. Kind of…stodgy, isn't he? I've not met him since his return.”

I laughed merrily, “Hasn’t improved with age Jal.”

And it always seem that when you speak of the devil, he makes himself known, and so it was with Syous. He arrived after the appointed time, but the Arch Mage was generous with him, and he hurriedly made his way toward the rings. “Ah, here comes the old curmudgeon, good evening Syous.”

He nodded greetings to everyone, and grumbled softly at my greeting. Then of course, Jake’s comment earned a peer at him as well before Syous confirmed that he did indeed plan on carrying through with his challenge to Topaz.

Brig floated down from his tower and I gave him a radiant smile before inviting him to join me on the chaise. Klinton was unavailable, and Brig was someone he trusted, and it would give me a chance to speak with my old friend. He accepted my offer and I sent a goblin to retrieve a glass of Oban for him. As he plopped down onto the chaise he bade Topaz good luck and the first match in a best of three challenge began.

Brig snagged the glass from the returning goblin, and I lifted my water to him, as our glasses clinked together, I asked him if he would do me a favor while Klinton and I were gone. He acquiesced instantly, and I gave him a radiant smile, “Keep Lucien out of trouble while we’re in Rigel?” I swirled my glass playfully, and he choked on his first sip of the scotch.

I gently patted his back, “I take that as a yes?”

He shook his head negatively as he sought to catch his breath, “no, it’s not.” Then he chuckled.

I leaned over and kissed his cheek, “I could not resist, but we will be gone. We have to go announce the pending heir to the Kaiser.”
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

He asked me how long, and by my best guess, I told him 2 weeks. He nodded then, “not too bad, I’m sure he can manage to stay out of trouble for that long with Topaz’s assistance.

I gave him a winning smile, “Oh, I doubt it Brig, you’re the perfect foil for him.”

He gave me a sardonic look, “Exactly, which is why I’ll just….” But he did not finish his thought as the first round began.

I leaned my shoulder against him then, and softly asked if he was ever going to get along with Lucien. He tipped his head toward me, “Not unless he becomes a different person than he is now, and I don’t see that happening any time soon.”

I couldn’t help the laughter that bubbled up inside of me, “will you do me the favor of coming to meet the Prince and help Topaz feel more at home?” Here was the true question I had meant for him.

He suddenly looked very uncomfortable, “Carpathian Prince?”

I nodded, “yes.”

“Is he anything like Lucien?” Brig was clearly wishing I hadn’t asked.

I quirked a brow at him, “does it matter? It’s for one night, and to help Topaz.” I knew Brig was capable of being completely charming, and perhaps having someone Topaz knew and trusted there would help ease her worries over meeting Mikhail.

Brig coughed slightly, “It matters in so much as I need to know what frame of mind to be in. And will it help Topaz if I’m there but am not acting like myself at all?”

I reached for his hand, “Prince Mikhail is a very nice man, and so is his mate Raven.” I gave him an apologetic smile and shrugged before adding, “It’s the younger brother, Gregori you might have issues with.”

Brig shook his head, “I’ll come, but I can’t promise I’ll stay. Better to leave than get in a fight, I imagine.”

“You are a dear,” I smiled at him. He would no more pick a fight in a room full of royalty than he would make a serious pass at me.

He gave a resigned soft chuckle, “it’s only ‘cause its you asking, you know.”

I took a sip of my water, pale blue gaze meeting his, “I know, but you know I truly appreciate it.”

He took a long sip of his scotch as if he were wondering just what the devil he’d gotten himself into now, “I know.”

Just as I was about to ask him about Thyrasa, Lucien’s thoughts slipped into my own. *You are interfering.*

I kept my eyes on the ring so as not to draw attention to the discussion that ensued. *It is not interference, your mate is very nervous about this meeting, and it is my home, and my guest list.*

The dark clouds overhead rumbled then, *That monster should be no where near Mikhail. Topaz will have me for company and security. It will be over soon enough.*
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

I simply shook my head at that, *Brigath is my friend Lucien, and I want him there. That is the end to this discussion.* I then resolutely turned toward Brig, “So, how are things going for your friend? The pretty one you took home last night?”

He chuckled, “Thyrasa? Pretty well from the sound of things.”

I smiled, “She is very pretty Brig.”

He gave me an utterly insouciant grin, “Would you expect anything less from me? You know I have impeccable taste in women.” Then he winked, and I laughed. He then added, “I met her at the spaceport on my way out. Didn't expect her to still be in town when I got back... but then I guess there's a silver lining for having to come back early.”

I nodded, but then asked about Trillian, because the two of them have a bit of a history as well. Brig chuckled, “Trillian is Trillian. We had a great time on the trip and we'll have great times in the future, but she's got her own things going just like I do.”

Aylysia Dawn had found her way onto the Island, and as she glanced around at the duelists, she grinned, “well, if it isn’t Sy. He the Archmage, or the challenger?”

I laughed softly hearing her, “The Olde Coot? He is the challenger.”

Her musical laughter rang out, “Olde Coot, eh? Yeah, that fits.”

I gave her a smile then, “We all think so. He disagrees.”

She found a place in the sand then, “Nah, it fits well, I remember him.”

I shot Syous a triumphant smile that he may or may not have seen, and then winked at Brigath. Had Syous heard the exchanges, there is little doubt he would have responded in his usual acerbic manner.

Brig nodded in agreement, “Yah, Tass lumped us all together last night and Syous took offense, though, he IS the youngest of the bunch.”

I chuckled softly, “chronologically that may be true Brig, but he’s still a curmudgeon without equal.” Besides, it’s tough to compete with a dragon and Brig’s method of survival and come out being the eldest.

Syous confirmed his spell before the start of the second match, and I smiled sweetly at him, “so noted Olde Coot.”

He passed a momentary cold glare back toward me as he stepped into his ring. I grinned at Brigath, “I don’t think he liked that.”

Brig shook his head with a laugh, “nope.”

About then Kyndra arrived, and I noted that Brig’s scotch glass was terribly low, and as Kyndra approached us, I send the goblins for another scotch and another glass of sparkling water. Brig scotched closer to me, trying to make room for Kyndra on the chaise as well, “Mind if Kyn joins us?”

I moved over as far as I could with a laugh, “I’m going to need a bigger chaise if anyone else comes along.”

Brig gave one of his trademark grins, “Some of you can pile on my lap.”

Jaleeisa chuckled, “gonna need a bigger one in a few months anyway.”

I blushed hearing her, “I don’t think Brig will let me sit on his lap in about 6 months.”

He raised a brow at me, “I dare you to try it and see what happens.” There was merriment and a bit of mischief twinkling in his eyes.

I quirked a pale brow at his challenge, “You know I will.” How could I resist such a challenge from him? In truth, I can’t.

He laughed then, “why do you think I dared you?!”

I shook my head with a laugh, “If I cut off the circulation in your legs, you have no one to blame but yourself.”
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

The goblin showed up with the refills, and he handed my the glass of water, and his Oban to Kyndra. As I took the water, I sent the goblin off for a second glass of Oban for Brig. Kyndra took the scotch and laughed, “I don't think he cares...as long as your willing to sit on his lap.” She gratefully took the scotch and told Brig she’d been out looking at land, and chuckled as she explained that she had too many points to choose from.

Brig gave her a playful grin, “Well if you need help deciding, I can always give you a view from the air.”

At that I had to laugh, “The view from that Tower is simply superb. I should challenge you for it again.”

He winked at me, “The queue is open. Vanion can't challenge me again for another couple months.”

Sipping the water, I admonished him that he would have to lose it some time or another, but then he grinned widely, “I don’t HAVE to, I could just ascend to Arch Mage at some point.”

I laughed, and winked at Kyndra, “You know, that almost sounds like an invitation to me.”

He winked back, “Any time, just let me know.”

Kyndra grinned, “if he has to lose it....I would rather have you in the tower than Vanion.”

I laughed, “I think there are a lot of people who would suffer me over Vanion, but come after me first opportunity.”

About then Wyheree was asking who had won the first match, and Brigath informed her that Topaz had, and she smiled and nodded at him, “thank you kindly, sir.”

Brig blinked, “Sir? Brig will do.”

Kyndra chuckled as she muttered ‘sir’ and she earned an elbow in the ribs for her mirth. She gave him one of ‘those’ looks, “makes you sound old.”

I grinned at Brigath, “well, I think Sir fits, when he’s not being an utter varlet.”

Brigath turned incredulous eyes on me, “You take that back! I’m ALWAYS a varlet!”

We both laughed merrily at him as he informed Kyndra that his IS old, but that he simply wears it well.

Kyndra gave him a conspiratorial smile, “well...at least you're not an old coot...like some that visit the Isle.”

It was most fortunate that Syous was so absorbed in his matches that he missed all of the quips about his being an old coot, because otherwise, he might have been very frustrated.

Wyheree then asked Brigath if anyone has ever held a tower longer than he had, and none of us could think of anyone who had managed the feat, but when Brigath told her, “and I’m happy to keep extending the lead.” I had to chuckle. I am of two minds about that, and when I said so, he just grinned at me. The invitation was there to try again to take it away from him.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg

Return to “Palazzo Drachen Walde”