beyond.

Moderator: Azjah von Drachen Walde

Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Discoveries

Post by Topaz »

Challenges

Topaz had arrived on the isle for the evening’s challenges just early enough to already be settled on the officials’ couch with a cup of coffee when Azjah arrived. Topaz was to officiate the challenge for the Tower of Water, Azjah for the Tower of Air.

After they had exchanged greetings and Azjah had sat down in her chaise their conversation turned to the evening ahead.

“Going to be a busy night tonight.”

“I hope I will be able to keep up. Farek already informed me that their challenge has been moved back an hour. So I will get to at least enjoy the start of Brigath's challenge without distractions.” It certainly did not like Lucien was to be here this evening, as Topaz had hoped he would. “Unless, of course, they start with one of those thirty-round duels.”

“Oh dear, that would be awful.”

“Yes.” Topaz agreed while Azjah sent a goblin to fetch a glass of scotch. “But I do not see Will around anywhere, so maybe we're safe from the overtime duels.”

Just about then Lucien appeared, leaning against a tree by Azjah’s chaise. Topaz’s earlier disappointment turned into joy the moment she saw him.

“Good evening.” She offered with a ready smile. “Are you on duty this evening?”

“It is my time to be with the Marchioness. Gabriel has a prior appointment.” Lucien appeared cool and very different from Sunday night.

“Too bad.” Topaz commented at length.

Lucien wondered at her answer and the change of display of emotions on her features. “Why do you say that?”

“It would be nice if you had the evening off.”

“I'm not going anywhere Lucien.” Azjah and Topaz spoke at the same time.

Lucien’s attention had not wavered from the Marchioness. Now he studied her with his black gaze. “You have never claimed to need me. The fact that you are not going anywhere is irrelevant.”

“What did you desire Topaz?” Topaz was stunned by the question and could it be that Lucien sounded annoyed? Well, he could keep his grumpy mood. She sure didn’t want it.

“Watch him Topaz, he's the bossy sort.” Azjah warned while Topaz was still trying to come up with a reply to Lucien’s question.

“Obviously.” Topaz replied to the warning with a chuckle before answering Lucien, “Perhaps you can watch over Azjah from over here?”

Lucien gave Topaz a slow smile. “I can watch you both from here. If I come over there, I cannot watch you with such advantage.”

“Good save.” She stubbornly gave another light-hearted sounding chuckle. “But now I'm out of ready excuses to offer to get you to sit beside me.”
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Using his preternatural speed, Lucien moved to sit in the place indicated on the couch, surprising Azjah and Topaz, both. “Now what in all of RhyDin would prompt you to desire my presence beside you? Did they not teach you that fanged creatures that go bump in the night are dangerous?”

“Yes, I was told that. More than once, come to think of it. By you, too.”

“And yet you pay no heed.” His slight smile belied his warning words.

Of course not. “I guess in all fairness, someone should warn you of fairies. They can be very dangerous, too. Those with fangs and those without.”

“He makes a lot of noise Topaz, but I find myself thankful for having known them both.” Topaz sent a thankful smile Azjah’s way.

“Fairies with fangs.” Lucien laughed his velvety laugh and Azjah wanted to know if there was such a thing.

“I am certain they are both far more dangerous to your enemies, and rather like lambs around you.” And Topaz was only too happy to inform Azjah about the existence of fanged fairies – one anyway. “Sure there is, Azjah. I was dancing with one the other night. He was fulfilling wishes, too.”

Azjah’s reaction was all the startled surprise Topaz could have hoped for, but Harris’ arrival and the need to respond to his greeting kept Azjah from asking any more about fairies.

Obsidian eyes slid over the fairy. “Be careful you do not ruin my reputation.”

More people were arriving on the isle. Topaz whispered her reply to Lucien. “I do agree that you are dangerous, but not in the way that you would have me believe.” Out loud she said, “Aye, I would not want to do that.”

For the next while they were all busy greeting patrons and friends. Topaz was surprised to hear Lucien’s voice tickle in her ear. “I still owe you a drive in the desert at night.”

“Mmm, yes. Ever since you mentioned it, and I heard Azjah speak of the desert, I am very much looking forward to that.” But Topaz had also sensed something else from Lucien, with him being so very close. He was not yet over his dislike for Brigath. “That's my right hand on the isle, you know.”

“Do you have a replacement in mind?” The words were low and serious, almost
a threatening growl.

“No.” This was not a joking matter for Topaz. “I would have to be upset with you were you to be at fault for making that a necessity.”

“Upset? But not eternally angered?” His gaze unwavering as he studied
Topaz.

She would be eternally angered with just about anyone else, but she didn’t think she could stay mad at Lucien for quite that long. Eternity, when he used the word, did mean a rather long time. “One of my understatements, to be sure.” She abruptly changed the subject. “Has my letter found its way to you?”

“It has.” He confirmed quite simply.

“Was there anything wrong with it?”

“No. I just felt it was something I would like to discuss with you in the desert night.” His attention never wavering from the fairy before him.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Topaz regarded Lucien with a warm smile. That statement made up for a lot. “I'd like that, the sooner the better.”

“When is a good time to arrange it then?”

“Would tomorrow be too soon? Or are you on duty then, too?”

“I do not believe I am working tomorrow.” He paused. It was a long pause. Long enough for the first of the challenge matches to get started and the first round to be called. “The question is not one of being too soon. Not in the least. But, you may tire of my company, and I find I do not care for that possibility.”

“That is definitely not something you have to worry about.” Topaz gave him another warm smile. “Rather the opposite. I find it is very much something I am getting used to and miss its absence.” She’d have said more, but there were too many people about and she was in uniform and duty this evening, too.

“I am certain the Marchioness will allow me the use of one of the cars. At what time shall I come for you?”

They quickly agreed upon a place and time.

“I am looking forward to it and will be ready.”

“The desert can be quite cool in the night....” he reminded as they kept up
a quiet conversation.

“I don't have a cloak. But the high mountain valley can get rather cold in the winters, too.”

“Mmm, I see.” Lucien leaned in close to whisper, “Now you have taken my excuse to keep you warm.”

Topaz chuckled softly and playfully suggested that he simply forget that piece of information by tomorrow evening, or that she may forget that she knew how to use magic to keep warm for one night.

“I will not cause talk if I keep you until dawn?” He asked several rounds later.

“Of course it will. Do you mind?”

“It would not stop me unless it troubled you.”

“No, it does not trouble me.” Nothing was further from her mind. She was only too happy to tell everyone with the slightest bit of interest how much she had enjoyed their last date. With a soft whisper she teased,” I could always defend your honor by challenging whoever questions it to a duel.”

That earned her an incredulous look. He thought it was his prerogative to defend her honor and protect her. Topaz was extraordinarily pleased with his reply. “So it is, usually.” And she added with a wink, referring to his use of the possessive forms “You just keep saying that and I'll get used to that really fast, too.”

“I keep what is mine, and protect what is mine. The Marchioness calls me a bit of a cave man, but I am not so old as all of that.” He was smiling now.

“And you don't look a day over thirty. But she might be a bit right just the same.”

“Nary a gray hair yet either.” He challenged her to find a single one.

Topaz studied his long black hair with an impish glint to her eyes. “No, not a one that I can see.”

“None here either.” Lucien threaded his fingers through one of the strands of her blonde hair.

Topaz slowly released the breath she’d been holding, “I don't even know how old I am.”

“Just right.” Lucien whispered so softly, Topaz had almost missed it. She wondered if he was referring to her hair or her undetermined age. But Vinny’s arrival at just that time kept her from asking anything further. She now was busy going through the formalities that start out a challenge match.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Lucien softly brushed his finger tips along the wing closest to him and Topaz found herself wishing they were already in the middle of a desert. But she did focus her concentration on the match to call. That Farek and Vinny started the match by lighting up the ring with mage bolts certainly helped.

“Are berries considered a dead thing?” She inquired at a lull of the action in the ring sometime later.

“Not by my people. Berries are the seeds of the next generation. They are the storage of life.”

It was several rounds later before she had a chance to ask further, “May you eat them then without getting sick?”

Lucien canted his head, “My body would reject them as completely as any other ingested object beyond blood.” He explained further that he could eat almost everything for appearances sake, but that he tried to avoid it as much as possible. It was an unpleasant experience for him.

“No dinner dates then.” Topaz replied with a slight smile.

“No? I am disappointed.” His eyes searched her face intently.

His statement struck Topaz as funny. Do you have a suggestion for one?”

“Absolutely.” Lucien smiled with a hint of mischief. He waited until there was another break in the duel Topaz was officiating before he quietly added, “I have never dined upon fairy blood.”

Topaz replied just as quietly, “I can see that. You're still alive.” Then her attention had to be on the challenge match again. Lucien did tease her a while longer about food, but the second duel of the challenge she was officiating was even faster paced than the first and she couldn’t think of any witty replies.

Only when her ring was empty again and after she had congratulated Farek on his defense, did she lean comfortably against Lucien. He promptly slid his arm around her waist, just beneath her wings. Together they watched the end of the other challenge. But by that time it too was almost over. Brigath had defended the tower of Air for the seventh time that evening. But there was to be no third duel as Topaz and Lucien had hoped for. Now they would have to make their fare wells that much sooner.

“I will need to depart shortly.” Lucien reminded Topaz as Azjah went over to Brigath to congratulate him.

“Aye. Looking forward to tomorrow will just have to do.” Her hug startled Lucien, but he did return it. “That needs a little practice” She whispered, softly teasing, and immediately regretted having done so when he admitted he’d never hugged anyone before. “In that case, you’re off to a good start.” She tried to amend.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

In the meantime, Brigath had invited for a celebratory drink at the tower, and Topaz was happy to hear that Lucien was asked to wait for Azjah here rather than to come along. Lucien however was anything but pleased with the turn of events. In fact, he appeared rather angry.

Dark clouds roiled overhead. Topaz knew those clouds were Lucien’s doing and thought it wiser to head in the opposite direction. But she didn’t get far before thunder rumbled across the isle. And she jumped when lightning struck not far from her.

“Watch where you throw those, would you please?”

“It would not have hit you. I truly mislike that creature.” He had glowered as Brigath had spirited Azjah into his tower where Lucien had been denied access.

True, the lightening strike was not likely to have hit her, it being his doing, but she had told him before that she didn’t care to be out in lightening storms. And she also had let him know that this strong dislike he suddenly had for Brigath bothered her. If he was trying to rile her, it was certainly working. “I would have thought you'd be more pleased.”

“That she is alone with him? What if he tries to claim her body for his own?” While he claimed no emotion, there was anger in his voice.

Him mistaking her comment was just too much. “Brigath is my friend and my assistant. I really wish you two could at least tolerate another if not get along. He would not do that as little as you would have Azjah for dinner.”

“There are reasons I would not take her blood. And what reasons has he to not move into her body?” Lucien’s speech did not interrupt for longer than to take a breath. Now it was raining, too. The rain was on the other side of the isle, but it was coming down in sheets.

“The same reasons. It's like assuming because I killed one of those lich things I’d also kill you or Azjah. For that matter, I've done worse than kill liches.” And that was really the crux of the matter. If he was this mad at Brigath just for surviving according to the way his kind did, how mad should Lucien be at her, when the things she had found herself forced to doing where so far removed from how fairies behaved, once he knew?

“We have all killed Topaz. The manner of his actions are the issue.” He
stood absolutely still as the rain moved closer.

“And tortured? And sent men and women to die?”

“Sometimes necessary.”

“Yes. That doesn't mean I liked it, or that Brigath has, for that matter. Why are you so ready to excuse an action in one but not another?”

“None of what you have done involved the taking of that body for your own.” His objection was clearly that killing was not the issue. It was the taking of a body for one's own purposes.

Topaz had not even heard Lucien’s last statement. “And I couldn't even stay; I had to have Keirin do it. If the only way for Azjah to live was to take her soul out of her body before she died and to put it into another body, would you refuse to go look for a usable body for her?”

“She would not want that.” He seemed so certain.

“Don’t sound so sure. Everyone wants to survive. Why do you think the vampires have to be hunted? They could go into the sun as easily as you can. It certainly isn't because they seek to keep you busy.”
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

“They did not do that when they had souls, they will not now that they are Vampyr.” His tone had moderated, the anger was absent and his tone remained rather neutral.

“And come to think of it, I don't even want to know how many creatures had to die to provide me with food.”

“I do not desire to know either. I cannot imagine eating something dead.” He gave her a slight quirk of his lips. “The thought is very unpleasant.”

“You said that before.” She chuckled. Something in the way of his audacity to grin at her like that while she was ranting at him struck her as too funny to continue. That – and it was rather pointless. “I can't imagine drinking blood for food. I don't even think it tastes very good. The sight and smell of it remind me too much of the battle fields and some other things I rather would forget.”

Topaz closed the distance between them and turned her light blue eyes up to his dark ones. Lucien in turn leaned toward her, catching her scent of vanilla and sweet spices, but also the scent underlying that, the scent of blood.

“I'm sorry. I didn't mean to blow up at you.”

“You have deep feelings for Brigath. My beliefs about him trouble you.” His admission was simply stated.

“Yes they do. Though I'd be just as ready to tell someone off who speaks ill of you for the wrong reasons.”

“That my dear fairy is something you may want to get used to if you are to be seen in my company.”

“Brigath hasn't said a bad word about you. He is happy for me. I'm guessing that those I care about will all be.”

“I trust you are correct. I would not desire to cause you pain.” Lucien offered his arm. “Since I must wait, shall we walk?”

I love walking on the beach with you, or through the trees.” She took his offered arm with a soft chuckle. “I imagine I'll love walking through the desert with you, too.”

“The desert is a stark kind of beauty. Not lush like your forests.” Lucien warned her as he led her along the beach.

“One of these days I should show you where I am from. I'd very much like to get to show you "my" lake.”

“I read the poetry. It fits you. It has nuances and under layers that mean it must be considered and studied at length.”

Topaz chuckled with delight. “Exactly! And I so love doing that, sitting in the willow, looking at the lake. I do like it very much, though the entire meaning still just escapes my grasp.”

“I shall look forward to the trip to see your lake.”

“Then it is a date, perhaps for your next day off. Have you found the story useful?”

“I have read it. I see the point you are trying to make. I know many things have been tried, but I will send it to the Prince.”

She gave him a mysterious smile. If he was going to send the story to the prince, he had noted the finer points. “It may appear unpleasant to you that foods eaten have to be expelled, as unpleasant as the idea of fish and the like was to those deer. But perhaps, so long as nutrition can be absorbed from something that can be tolerated long enough, the babies may yet live.” But there could be another reason. “How do your females get food? You did mention they do not hunt. Could it be that they do no longer get the nutrients they need by being so very much protected?”

Lucien gave her a long, slow smile. “We provide for their needs. During mating, an exchange of blood is part of such things.... our mates take their nourishment from us.”

“Perhaps that isn't enough when taking care of a little one. Perhaps during that time, they need, uh, something else alive to drink from.” Another thought dawned on her. “So this happens all the time, not just for the original ceremony?”

Lucien gave her a toothy smile. “It is a source of great pleasure.”

Topaz had to bite back a laugh. Those were almost exactly the same words she had heard when she had first come to Rhydin and asked someone about what there was to those silly grins and lips pressed together. “I never much cared for getting bitten.”

“You have not been bitten by the right man.” His voice was seduction itself.

Now Topaz was laughing. That was what the man with the French accent had said after he had tried to show her what pleasure there was in a kiss and she had looked at him from blank eyes, not at all having found his kiss pleasing - only instead of the word “bitten” he had used the word “kissed”.

“Obviously. But seriously, I can't imagine biting anyone, much less to draw blood.”

Lucien gave a black velvet laugh. “We shall see.”

“Do you have a link to everyone and everything you ever drank from?”

“Yes, in one form or another.”

That idea did not sit well with her. “Should I be jealous?”

“Jealous? No. Carpathians cannot feel anything for anyone other than their mate. Everything else is simply necessity.” He was studying her reaction to their discussion of feeding upon blood.

“Odd that I should feel so much for you then.”

“We are uneasy with other males around our females. And once mated, perhaps more so. But you have no reason to fear that I would find pleasure with another.” He tried to ally her concerns, but knew she could not understand until such time as there might be a mating ritual.

Topaz nodded at that, and after a moment or two a soft smile came back to her lips. “It'll do.” For a while, she added in her thoughts.

Lucien gave the tower a long look. “Why do you support him so?”

“Hmm? Oh, Brigath. Many reasons. He's a friend. And I guess him being my assistant makes me his boss and therefore responsible, and we’ve had occasion to have to trust each other with our lives. And he has never lied to me.” With a warm smile she added, “I do trust you the same way, perhaps more so.”

Lucien looked up and saw the Marchioness was returning from the tower. He opened his hand to Topaz, offering a cluster of night blooming jasmine.

Topaz took the blooms with a soft smile. “Thank you. May the hours until tomorrow evening pass quickly.”

“They will pass and I shall find you in the Valley. Until then.”
Lucien
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Lucien »

I faded into the visible spectrum near the Marchioness’ chaise after realizing that Topaz was present for the evening. It was agreeable to see her again, and she had expressed a lament to Azjah that I was not present. She smiled at my ‘arrival’ and I gave her a nod before greeting her.

She asked if I was ‘on duty’ this evening, but I am always responsible for the Marchioness’ safety. I told her “it is my time to be with the Marchioness. Gabriel has a prior appointment.” I will need to explain the nature of our relationship to the Marchioness, but not tonight. She commented that it was too bad I was not free, and I asked her “why do you say that?”

The Marchioness spoke up then, “I’m not going anywhere Lucien.” I studied her briefly, “You have never claimed to need me. The fact that you are not going anywhere is irrelevant.” The Marchioness despised the guardianship we have insisted upon for her protection. But her objections to the protection must be ignored for now.

I then turned to Topaz and asked her what she desired. Her expression said she was unhappy with my query, but I do not know why she was upset.

The Marchioness informed Topaz that I can be a bit bossy, but I have never seen that in myself or my actions. Topaz chuckled and agreed before asking if I could watch over the Marchioness from beside her on the sofa. I have never taken my responsibilities sitting down. I have always preferred to stand where I can get a better view of what is going on around us. I smiled at Topaz, “I can watch you both from here. If I come over there, I cannot watch you with such advantage.”

She chuckled, but it was not a happy sound as she lamented being out of excuses to get me to sit with her. To surprise her, I used my speed and to all intents ‘appeared’ beside her, “now what in all of RhyDin would prompt you to desire my presence beside you? Did they not teach you that fanged creatures that go bump in the night are dangerous?”

The Marchioness quirked a brow at my question. I do not usually make light of the misconceptions most people have about my race, but with Topaz, I find satisfaction in such a teasing manner.

She nodded, “yes, I was told that. More than once, come to think of it. By you too.”

I nearly laughed when she told me that fairies could be dangerous too. They seem to be such gentle creatures of light, it is difficult to imagine them as I have seen Topaz, fighting Lyches and commanding men to do battle. It seems very much at odds with the fragile appearances.

Unfortunately, Topaz has the view that I am more dangerous to Azjah’s enemies than anything else. My past would be enough to give her nightmares for eternity. And yet she makes light of my attempt at humor when I took on the outward appearance of a fairy with wings and fangs.

The lunatic Harris arrived, seeking money from the Marchioness. The madman was going on about how he had lost the Warlord Tournament because the Marchioness had left him. I barely suppressed a snort when he blamed her and announced that he was due some recompense from her.
Lucien
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Lucien »

About then the body snatcher floated down from his tower for the challenge match. I refocused my attention from the lunatic, who is essentially harmless to the magic user who poses more of a threat than anyone realizes. He in turn studiously ignored my presence in favor of moving toward the Marchioness. Every muscle in my body tensed, and it took effort to relax and simply watch him.

Topaz on the other hand welcomed him enthusiastically. The lunatic opted to cheer for the body snatcher, as did Topaz in the challenge with the vampire Vanion. It seemed I would be the only one on the side of the vampire, and that in itself is a minor miracle.

I leaned closer to Topaz, “I still owe you a drive in the desert at night.” I wanted to keep her from cheering too much for that body snatcher. And, she was amenable to that plan. However, she found it important enough to advise me that Brigath is her right hand man on the Isle. I found anger rising sharply at that thought, and asked her if she had a replacement in mind. She did not, and let me know she would be very upset with me if anything happened to him.

The challenge match began, and shortly thereafter Topaz’s challenge match began. There were two towers up for potential change of owner. Unfortunately, the body snatcher managed to retain his key.

We spoke intermittently during the matches, and I reminded Topaz that I would need to depart when the Marchioness did this evening. We agreed that I would come for her tomorrow, and she wondered if that was too soon. I told her that it was not a question of being too soon, but rather one of being concerned that she may tire of my company, and that I found that possibility displeasing.

I would come for her at sunset for our drive into the desert.

The Marchioness rose to leave at the conclusion of her challenge, as did I, but she walked toward Brigath a moment, ostensibly to congratulate him. I will never understand what she sees in that creature. She gave him a hug, and as I was preparing to bid Topaz farewell, the Keeper swept the Marchioness into his arms, inviting her to his tower for a drink. As I moved to stop him, she accepted his invitation. She stepped between Brigath and myself, telling me that technically she has not left the Isle, and that she would be alright alone with Brigath in the Tower.

That left Topaz and I alone on the beach. As they floated into the tower, thunder echoed across the Isle. I vented using the power of the building storm. Topaz however does not like the storms, and when a stab of lightening struck the ground near her, she shortly told me to watch where I was throwing those. But I would never have let it strike her, it was merely to slow down her retreat from me.

I discovered that she thought I would have been happy to see the Marchioness go with him, but I can not be happy about it. She is in danger from him now that I know how he renews his life. But Topaz meant that we had more time to spend together, and as I was not in her thoughts, I missed that implication. While I could reside in her mind, I feel that an invasion that I would not do to her out of respect. Just as I usually do not listen in on the Marchioness’ thoughts. Topaz sought to convince me that Brigath was no danger to her, that he would not hurt her in any way.

We spoke about feeding, eating as she calls it, but she eats the flesh of dead creatures, and I cannot imagine doing such a thing. The idea of consuming the dead troubles me, but I heard her say that she cannot imagine consuming blood. For her it is just as distasteful as what she consumes. I tried to explain to her that all blood tastes different, rather like fine wines differ from one another based on vintage, year, and location. As I lowered my head closer to her, I could smell vanilla, sweet herbs… but underlying it all, the scent of her blood. Sweet, luring, the blood of a fairy flowed in her veins, and I found myself wondering what she would taste like.

We spoke about the desert. She had never been to the desert, and our trip tomorrow would remedy that. She told me about her lake, and I suspect it is the lake in the poem she sent to me earlier that day.

She wondered how our women obtained their nourishment, and I found my mood lightening considerably. She had not expected my answer to her, and she wondered if the exchanging of blood was a regular thing, as she never cared for being bitten. I told her she had never been bitten by the right man, but a pang of something sharp twisted my insides at the thought that anyone else had bitten her.

I felt the Marchioness return from the Tower. Her smile was radiant, and I can feel that she has reached a conclusion about the man, and I know that I do not approve, but this man is her friend, and a very special one at that.
BrigathC
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Luftbeutel

Post by BrigathC »

((post between Brig and Azjah will go here))
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

The Desert

They had agreed on meeting just as the sun was starting to set in the Atreblian Valley. That meant she could be away from the fortress and people, far enough so to not need to bother with keeping up shields. It would be interesting to find out if she could sense his approach before he just stood there, and if he could see her. She would wait for him in the middle of the grassy field to the west of The Beacon.

What she did sense was a rather interesting mix; his emotions were a like a gentle touch, barely to be noticed at all, but he did have them despite his repeated insisting that he was incapable of any. Most surprising she found the hint of apprehension; he always appeared so sure of himself, even now. And though there definitely was more than just a hint of possible danger, the strongest impression she perceived from him was one of being protected. All in all his presence was very pleasant. Topaz turned to face the presence just in time so see Lucien solidifying in the light of the setting sun.

“Good evening.” the Fairy he'd come for was standing in the field just where he'd sensed she would be.

“Good evening, Lucien.” He was dressed all in black – trousers, silk shirt, his long hair tied in back – and looked stunning in it, Topaz noted and admired his physique as she took a step toward him with a welcoming smile. “You were correct. The hours did pass.”

“They always do. I can sense the location of the sun at all times, even when I have gone to ground. But I am curious why you chose to await me here. Perhaps you are curious to see if I can locate you?” Lucien gave her a charming smile and silently moved toward her, more of a gliding than an actual walk.

“I already knew that you would be able to.” Topaz was delighted that he did not appear to notice a difference. He must have done more than just start to believe. She hugged him, in part because he needed the practice, and in part because that made her giddily happy. “It is far enough from people to do without shields and wards.”

Lucien’s rich laughter rang out. “I can find you, but not as easily as if we had exchanged blood. He wrapped both his arms around her, slowly and gently, and found her leaning against him for just a moment before she released him from the hug.

“You learn fast.” She praised softly.

“It is unaccustomed, but a sensation I very much enjoy.” He offered his arm. “Shall we depart?”

Topaz laced her arm through his offered one. “Yes, please. Are you sure you do not mind the absence of wards?” She wondered just how much of her emotions she projected and how sensitive he was to them, especially with him being so used to denying having any, and if he knew just how much he was telling her in turn.

“I prefer the absence of your wards. Your abilities are natural to you, and therefore are the person I seek to know. I can feel your curiosity, and your mind touch is as gentle as those wings of yours appear to me.”

That did answer most of her questions in that regard, her smile was warm. “Very good. Which way to the desert?”

“The desert is east of RhyDin. We have the Enzo waiting for us in RhyDin.” Lucien smiled slowly. “But I see no portal out here for us.”

“Perhaps I should have thought of that. There is no portal close by.” She should have, but she felt no regret over it.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Lucien reached over her shoulder and brushed his fingers along her wing where it rose beside her throat, already knowing it would answer his touch with a light quiver. “Fly with me.”

“That is an excellent idea.” Topaz stood still and her breath caught as he trailed his fingers slowly along her throat, curled a lock of hair around his hand and then let the silken strands slide free before he shifted into his vision of a fairy. Delicate looking wings in shades of white and shimmering grey formed.

“Then, we should be off.” His transformation earned him a delighted a chuckle.

“Lead the way.” Topaz slid her hand down his arm into his hand and fluttered her wings.

Giving her a slow smile as his fingers curled gently around her small hand, his wings fluttered a moment before they lifted him into the skies over the valley toward Rhydin. Topaz stayed right beside him. Flying was easier to her than walking, and a lot more fun.

The valley slid beneath them, the stars peeked out one by one, slowly filling the black sky above them, the trees shimmered back in varying shades of grey, and the night animals began to come out. “So few savor the beauty the night holds.”

“It is beautiful, isn't it. What do you see?” Topaz had not bothered to reign in any of the stray sentient magic bits. With no shields keeping them from wandering off either, some did, while others preferred to stay with Topaz. A number of those that were wandering off went to check out Lucien - them being just as curious as fae tend to be.

Lucien turned to study her a moment. “I see the abundance of life below us beginning to stir. I hear the sap moving in the trees, and the restless browsing of the deer. I see the cougar below us that is slowly evaluating the herd, seeking out the weakest member. I hear the splash of water over rocks, and the migration of the fishes.”

“Your eyes are far better than mine. I can sense some of what you describe, but not see it. It's more a feeling than an image.”

“I see as well in the night as you do in the day.” Lucien sensed the bits too small to see as they wandered around him, his curiosity was just as high as theirs. “It is the blessing of night creatures.”

“The deer is not yet scared, and the cougar isn't really hungry. The people are a rough mix of emotions at this distance, almost abrasive. The trees are just trees and the rocks are part of the shadowed ground.”

“The cougar is testing, evaluating, but all predators do. The trees all shimmer with their own light. The veins in the leaves are as distinct for me now as they would be for you in the light. Human emotion is usually abrasive.” The lights of RhyDin began to be visible.

“From here the town looks as pretty as the sky above.”

“It is. But from the desert we will have no stray light from anywhere. The stars will be the only thing to light the ground.” There was an almost wistful tone to his voice.

Topaz greeted his precautionary warning with a soft chuckle. “It is a good thing then that I do not really have to see the ground in order not to stumble over it.” And added in a more conspiratorial tone. “That's the reason I never bother with a cloak. Such a garment would render my wings useless.”

Lucien circled low over the Palazzo grounds, the vineyard was laid out in rows beneath them. “And here I was hoping to keep you warm myself rather than using your magic.” He said with a slow smile.

With a playful wink Topaz replied, “I may not remember how to ask the magic for warmth.”

They fluttered to a halt in the formal gardens, a fountain splashed playfully. “Good. We will pick up the Enzo and be off then.”

“Where might that pussy-cat be?” Topaz stubbornly ignored what her senses told her about the people nearby. Staying close to Lucien made that easier.

“This way, and we will be away from people once again.” Lucien reached for her hand and his wings vanished.

“I am looking forward to that.” Lucien led her to the garage. Topaz had a good look at the six steel horses there, one prettier than the next.

Lucien opened the passenger door of a bright red one, a Ferrari Enzo he had told her earlier, and gently handed his fairy into the black leather seat. The bits of fey magic clung around him as he settled behind the steering wheel and touched the ignition. The engine purred to life at the same moment that the garage doors opened. The night air brought with it the scent of ginger and vanilla.

The car quickly ate up the kilometers once Lucien had escaped the city limits and pushed the engine into a higher gear. Topaz breathed easier as they left the city behind. The road ahead ribboned into the night, but Lucien slowed to take a left turn onto a path. The vegetation had slowly changed from temperate to xerophytic.

“The desert is already feeling good, comfortable after the summer heat in town.” As they climbed in elevation, the air became dryer and dryer. The stars above glimmered more brilliantly as the humidity vanished.

When they reached the high bluff overlooking a drop off of hundreds of meters that Lucien wanted his fairy to see, he rolled the car to a halt. Lucien got out and walked around to open her door, offering his arm. “This is one of my favorite places.”

Topaz placed her hand on the offered arm and alit from the car. “I am eager to see it.”

Wrapping his free hand over hers, Lucien asked, “Do you smell the dryness? Can you feel the harshness of the lives around us?” He looked down at her as they walked to the edge. “Hear the trap door spider as it captures its prey? Or the scurrying of the mice as they forage?”

Topaz did try to make out the sounds he mentioned or to sense the creatures. “Some, though animals are much less obvious, and not intrusive in general.” With a soft chuckle she added, “No, I cannot hear spiders.”

Lucien paused on a rock promontory, and standing her in front of him, loosely linked his arms around her waist and nestled himself between her wings. “Close your eyes and simply listen. Tell me what you hear.”

She closed her eyes as instructed, leaned against him and held his arms to her middle. “The humming of insects, crickets mostly... a faint rustling here and there, and you.”

“I hear your heartbeat.” His whisper catching in her ear, her heart beat a little faster. He remained close to her ear. “I sensed your question in the valley about my ability to kiss, and while I never have, one does not live as long as I have and not learn a few things.” His lips lightly brushed her ear, drawing a soft oh from her. He also heard her blush at his words and the soft rushing of blood in her ear, but he did not tell her that.

A few moments passed before she replied just as softly, “I'd say so.”

Very quietly he whispered, “I remember how I always loved the smell of vanilla,” and nuzzled her hair.

That was what gentled the few emotions she sensed from him, Topaz thought, they were memories rather than current feelings. Just as gently Topaz brushed her hand along his lower arm. Quietly she wanted to know, “What else smells like that?”
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

“There is an orchid that grows in the rainforests.” He tightened his arms slightly around her. “Here in the desert, the life is starkly beautiful, but can be rather harsh too.”

Topaz kept her voice soft and barely above a whisper. “You have been in such a forest?”

“Yes. I have been to many places.”

“I would like to see them all, with you.”

“There is a similarity here to my life, Topaz. Life truly begins at sunset, and during the day, things appear to be quite lifeless and barren.” Besides Topaz being ever so comfortable with him, she was also falling deeper in love with him, if the increase of intensity of that particular emotion was any indication of that.

“It is too warm during the day, and the sun harms the creatures.” Topaz added almost breathlessly.

“And so life appears to stop.”

“It just goes into hollows. They are all at once younger and older than you. You are really not so very old.” Topaz slowly opened her eyes.

Lucien nibbled along the column of her throat, drawing a shiver from her or two and a soft sigh, before he purred to her. “How does a creature of light and life have such an understanding of the night and darkness?”

“I've not been born just this spring? I really do not know how old I am. Fairies do not keep track of events in a concept of passing time, at least not that I know of. But one is given a lot of opportunities to contemplate in the forest.” She had also been to some dark places, but that was not to be mentioned now. “Curiosity does further learning in all ways.”

“That it does.” He murmured in her ear.

“What else would you like to show me of your desert?” She was not at all eager to leave his embrace, but neither could she avoid the knowledge of how tempting hearing and smelling her blood was to him, even if he wasn't hungry.

His teeth lightly grazed her ear. There was no sense of danger, so she enjoyed the caress. “The desert hides its treasures deeply, come, I will show you something extraordinary.” She smiled at his invitation. Her hand again found his as he reluctantly stepped out from behind her and moved beside her. “This is not far.”

They headed off down a deeper path and moved lower along the outcropping. Lucien found the cave entrance unerringly. Her wings moved slightly but constantly as they walked.

“Thank you.” Topaz said when he summoned a small ball of lightening to his hand before they walked into the cave's entrance. The air was much cooler here, and Topaz detected the faint scent of water. “What is this beauty that is hiding and that I am about to see?”

“There is a chamber here unlike any other I have ever seen.” The blue-white lightening cast a clear light over the cavern, and then absolute darkness where the light yielded way to the darkness. Lucien looked at her when her shoulder brushed against his arm. Her eyes shone with the same curious anticipation he sensed from her.

The cavern narrowed for about thirty meters before it opened into a large gallery. The scent of water was now mixed with the gurgle of hot springs, stalactites dripped from the ceiling overhead. The walls reflected a glittering array of colors in the light. Lucien paused before a rich blue spring.

“Oh.” Topaz’s little utterance held so much wonder and the kind of joy that comes with looking at something intricate and beautiful. “This is so beautiful.” She remarked with an awed whisper.

“The glitter is only fools gold, a bit of pyrite embedded into the rocks, but the effect is stunning. And the pools vary in temperature... some quite hot, and some rather cold. The combination is one I have never seen before.”

“A fool is the one who seeks gold here in this place of magical beauty.” She chuckled.

“Thankfully none have come here. No one has defiled this place.”

Topaz pulled Lucien with her as she slowly turned around and around, her feet not touching the ground. Then she spotted a two tiered pool just at the edge of the lightening ball’s reach and fluttered over there for a closer look.

Lucien moved beside her and the light illuminated a warm pool that overflowed its blue-green basin to cascade over the rocks into a white basin below, where it was cooler to the touch, and slightly fizzy. “The geothermal activity below us heats and re-heats the water, the fizz is from dissolved gases the water released in its cycle.”

“You are so technical.” Topaz beamed a smile at him. “It's magic. Not geometrical gas.” She chuckled with child-like delight and dipped low enough to touch the bubbly water. It fizzled against her skin.

His velvet laugh echoed in the chamber. “I take it to mean that you approve of my surprise?”

“Yes, Sir.” She winked and chuckled and flicked her wet fingers in his direction, making for a burst of little water droplets. “It tickles just like magic, too. Liquid magic.”

Lucien’s brow winged upward at her temerity. “I wonder...” He gave her a slow smile. “How do fairy wings look all wet?”

“Well, they would look wet.” She laughed. “You know, you can't give me a new toy and then expect me not to play with it.”

Lucien set the ball of lightening atop a delicate looking stalagmite, and with a wave of his hand, six ivory candles shimmered into substance, casting a golden glow around them. Then he reached for her. “Shall we find out if that is true?”

“Yes, Sir!” She chuckled again and was already on her way to do just that. “I think milord sounds a lot better than sir, though.”

“I was going to throw you in,” Lucien gave a quiet chuckle, “but I see you are a water nymph rather than a fairy.”

“I do like the water, and even better when there's no liches, scorpions or other nasty critters in it.” Lucien watched her slide into the pool.

“There is only one problem with milord... I am no Lord.” He stalked toward her like a great cat.

“You can still be my lord.” Her chuckle had the quality of tiny crystal bells, he thought. “Is that really true? You're not part of the royal family? No kingdom stashed away?” She was sounding unreasonably delighted.

“No kingdom, no ties to the royal family beyond several millennia of service to our Prince.”

“It tickles everywhere.” She giggled. “You're sounding more attractive by the moment.”

“Yes, it does.” He smiled and continued to stalk toward her. “You are not seeking a Prince Charming then?”

“No, just my fairy prince. She winked to him as he paused at the edge of the pool. “Are you not allowed to get your pretty clothes wet?” Lucien picked that moment to spring into the air and jack-knifed into the water, sending water splashing everywhere.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Topaz laughed. “That answers that question.” They splashed around, each making sure the other got enough water everywhere, before they dove under and swam to the other side of the pool.

Lucien leaned against the rocks there and opened his arms to her. “Come sit with me?”

With a little flutter of wings Topaz rose from the water a little to brush her lips over his cheek. “Thank you.” Then she wrapped her arms loosely around his neck and, sinking back into the water sat on his lap.

“You wanted to ask me loads of questions.” He wrapped his arms around her waist as she looked to him expectantly.

“Yes, your letter about forgiveness, there was more there than the one you faced forgiving himself.” He watched the water fizzle around them. “What do you need to forgive yourself for?”

“Right now, I'm not sure, trusting the celestials to begin with or not trusting them now.” She did no longer give them the courtesy of capitalizing the word even in her thoughts. “Everything else is already dealt with.” He had read the story carefully. “Including the stupid mistakes during the lich hunt.”

“So I hear you saying that you do not trust the Celestials any longer.” But he also sensed the anger she felt in regards to them for what she considered their betrayal.

“Right. I’ve come to believe they've more demon in them than the goodness I had previously associated with the word.”

“Anger does not suit you Topaz. Sometimes good has to do what appears to be evil for a higher purpose.”

“I agree, I do not like being angry. They could have let me know if such existed. I've told you before that Krollon could have his soul travel from one body to another. Daniel told me that Krollon was alive again, long enough to have raised him, and then died again. He had promised to come back if he could. So either he broke that promise or the celestials lied to him.”

“Daniel, the son you are not certain you can call your son.” He queried gently.

“Right.”

“And you blame the Celestials?”

“Yes. I was there looking for answers several years later. They lied then at the very least. And they did not mention Daniel. Yet later they told Daniel that I was his mother.”

“Lied? Or omitted?”

“Outright, bold-faced lied. That time of my visit at least. They did not abuse Daniel of the notion that I had abandoned him. That was mean of them. I tried to forgive them, but that isn't working yet either.”

Lucien tightened his arms slightly around her. “It will come.”

“Perhaps it will eventually.” She knew he was trying to help her find that forgiveness, but she was not ready, yet. Though she didn’t even dare to allow herself to think the accusation all the way, it was possible they had caused the death of the unborn babe.

She rested her head against him. Her hair was almost dry again, even without the use of magic. “It will come.” Lucien repeated and lowered his chin to rest lightly atop her head. “But those thoughts of the Celestials ripple in your thoughts, preventing you from finding that calm, undisturbed lake.”

“Yes. They've done enough harm. They should not be permitted to do any more.” A little smile was in her voice when she added softly. “Some people are very good at ignoring their feelings and make their spirits sick.”

“I 'know' you are not inferring me with that.” The way he said that, Topaz could imagine his brow lifting in surprise. Instead she felt his fingers run along her wing in a feathery touch.

She breathed a long, drawn out breath. “Do you really know that?”

“We do not voluntarily suppress emotions. They fade and vanish until we find the other half of our soul. And the only thing that will heal the soul is the reattachment of both halves.”

“Where might your other half have vanished to? Are you sure it isn't just somewhere in there,” she put a finger to his chest, “ignored and neglected? Maybe your soul-mate can help you find it.”

“It resides within my soul mate. Only we never know where to seek it.” He looked down at her finger, then back up at her with jet eyes. “The vows will bind the soul halves together, and then I will know I have found it.” He paused. “Your stray bits have lingered around me, so perhaps you will not send me away on the morrow?”

“Of course not. I am very much falling in love with you. I'm even wishing the sun would not bother you, so you'd not have to leave at all.”

“So the magic of the night is working.” He nuzzled her throat slightly. “The light will keep us apart for awhile.”

She leaned into the caress and very quietly suggested, “You could invite the bits to stay.”

Lucien went very still, his lips brushed the fragile skin. “What happens if I do that?”

“So long as you don't try to give them orders, or try to control them you should be fine. However, inviting them in may not be so good an idea.”

“How would they take being locked in the ground during the day?”

“I don't know. Provided they are only invited to stay, you may find them gone come evening. There is really no telling. Maybe they take a liking to it.”

“Can you call them back if there are negative reactions?”

Topaz wished she could answer that with a confident yes, but she could not. “I asked Le to send some of that liquid over that keeps blood from clotting. No, I can only ask them convincingly and explain why it would be a good idea, but it is their choice. I need to know what might happen.” The possibilities of what could happen did scare her, but she also held hope.

Lucien rose out of the water, carrying her with him. He was dry in the way of his people before they got a meter from the pool, so was her dress. “We need to head back, sunrise is close enough to require that I return you.” He paused. “You need to know what will happen?”

“Yes.”

He glanced at the bits and then back at her. “And what has happened in the past?”

“The little things can kill. Or reject. And some are allergic to them. Would you mind putting a drop of blood into a few of those little glasses once I have them? Would you like to see what may happen?”

“My blood?” His brows winged upward. “Yes, and the Society knows well the value of our blood. Yes, I would be curious to see what would happen.”
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

“Society?” She was rather enjoying him carrying her.

Lucien headed for the first chamber in the cavern system, carrying her with him. “Yes. A misguided group of humans who want to see us all wiped out. They work with our blood whenever they can, seeking poisons that will kill us all.”

“Silly humans. You do not have to let those precious drops out of your sight.”

“I see.” They exited the cave and started back up the path toward the car.

Topaz looked into his eyes, now that she could see them again, and very softly said, “I do not want to kill you, nor do I want you to kill me.”

He gave her a long look. “I know.” They reached the car and he set her down slowly, letting her
slip down his chest until her feet touched the ground.

She tilted her head up and whispered, “Though it may already be too late to prevent hurt.”

Lucien leaned over her, brushing cool lips at the corner of her mouth, her lips were warm and soft. “It may perhaps be much too late.”

She wondered if he felt tingly like she did, but didn't search for the feeling in him. Lucien resisted the urge to crush her to him, lingering a moment longer before he rose and opened the door. “The time has passed too quickly.”

“I agree.” She gave a soft but heart-felt sigh.

Lucien handed her into the car before he returned to the driver's seat and touched the ignition before he looked at her. “If I have been too bold tonight, forgive me.”

She gave a soft, warm chuckle. “That I do not agree with. You again have given me a most beautiful night.” She snuggled against his arm. “But because you asked, I shall forgive you for having made me happy.”

He gave her a truly pleased smile. “Then it would be acceptable to you for me to request the honor of your company another night.” It was not a question. “I do not know about the love you mentioned, but I find myself missing your company as well.” With that he put the car into drive and headed back toward Rhydin. Pale silver began to change the velvet black sky into the predawn shades of dove grey.

“I am to show you my lake at your very next evening off.”

“I look forward to that.”

“As am I.”

Lucien glanced at her now and then while he drove. Despite her best intentions not to miss a single moment of his company, she had fallen asleep nestled against him.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Waiting for Lucien

Topaz had no idea when Lucien's next day off was to be. But he had to have one eventually. So when the package from Hi Brasil arrived that afternoon, Topaz took it with her to her old home in Darkenwood Forest. She'd wait out the time between late afternoon and early evening there and enjoy the sunsets, until Lucien was free to join her there. She could do with a little time to herself now and then, and with Julian returned from the Empire, her presence at the Beacon was not required at that time of day.

Once she arrived under the willow she stowed the padded box away in a hidey-hole, it would be save there until needed, then flew up to her favorite viewpoint to watch the sun setting and it's reflection on the lake's surface.

Lucien had suggested that she'd find some answers in her favorite poem. She certainly had time now for contemplation. Perhaps providing her with that time had been his purpose behind not telling her when his next evening off would be. Then again, perhaps he just didn't know.

"And there reflect the beauty of the dale." To do that she would have to find the beauty of the dale. Where was the beauty in the events regarding the crystals? The crystals certainly were beautiful to look at and listen to. Up until Krollon's death, the one that she had witnessed, they had been truthful. When they were vague it was because the future is liquid for the most part, influenced by events of the present. She also agreed with Lucien's statement that sometimes good had only choices between evils and was forced to pick but the least of those. But had that been the case?

Daniel had told her quite a lot of things during his last visit. Krollon had returned in a new body and the Crystals had given baby Daniel to him to raise and to train in the arts of war. Thalesia had been in danger. A final battle of light and darkness had been foretold to them by the Crystals. Daniel would be essential for Good to win out. Krollon had done as they had asked of him. The Crystals had told Daniel that Krollon would be destroyed in that battle. Had they told Krollon as well? If so, than it may well have been Krollon's decision not to come back as promised out of some chivalrous reasoning or another. She could forgive that and see a beauty in it, even if the thought called tears to her eyes - or perhaps because of it. If it was the Crystals that kept him from returning, they might well have done so for the same reasons. There was no difference in the beauty of that for being done by someone else.

"Reflect the beauty." Daniel had been as hurt by what the Crystals had and had not said as she was, only to him that concerned his entire life to that point. Could all the hurt their lies had caused have been necessary to keep Daniel and Krollon focused on the battle ahead? Quite possibly so. And their lies to her, about both of them being dead and destroyed, could they possibly too be the lesser evil of a set of choices and therefore contain a beauty to reflect? For a time Tormay was the heir to the throne. Could it be that they thought to steal the child she had not yet known to keep Tormay in her life? If so, she should be thankful rather than angry.

She tested her feelings against her reasoning, and found with a little surprise that she was indeed ready to stop "surrendering tranquility for naught" and not the least bit angry any more at the Crystals. She still did not like being lied to. But she could certainly understand why in this instance it could have been unavoidable for the Celestials to do so, and to do so with the best of intentions. She could give them the benefit of the doubt. With that and understanding came the ability to forgive, to embrace the events and her part in them as just one of those things of the past that made her who she was today.

The sun had long since set and she knew Lucien would not come this evening, or he’d already be here. But she stayed at her perch a while longer, enjoying the beauty of the night. Before she left she whispered, “Thank you, Lucien.”

Return to “Palazzo Drachen Walde”