Discoveries

Transplanted Rigelian and her adventures in the Nexus world of RhyDin and
beyond.

Moderator: Azjah von Drachen Walde

Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

“In case it's just pixies and not fairies he's allergic to?” Topaz had turned over recent meetings with the possessed Artemus in her mind, examining each for evidence regarding that alleged allergy. The more she thought about it, the more likely it appeared that Errtu had slipped and revealed a weakness.

“Yeah. Because I know my sister has touched him, and she's half fairy, wings and all. But she's also half moredhel... so... who knows.”

“Is he still staying at the tower?” A little experiment would tell for sure, and Topaz started to set one up.

“I have no idea. He's been spending a lot of time with that drow chick.”

“Quite natural. We can trap him. You know what may prompt him to go just about anywhere? The book. Though we must not let him have it - Art has warned against that.”

“Not tower specific then.” Topaz said quietly to herself and instructed the already convinced to cooperate fae magic to find the Artemus Errtu entity, attempt to cause a minor allergic reaction and to then share the results with her. The amount of magic sent on the mission was minor, but she felt drained of every bit of energy at its leaving.

“You'll have to find a way to ensure he can't just magic it out.” Kitty warned before again sipping from her cup.

“In the Temple of Asmodeus outsider magic is suppressed until a high priest allows it. At least starting from level-3 security areas. Anyways... if tasks at hand are clear, we can leave. Not the best idea to strain Topaz too much, and I've stuff to do.”

“Haven't been sleeping lately?” Kitty eyed the fairy and at her protest concluded that the fairy must be pregnant. “Been there... once. My ex-husband was human, and I swear all I wanted to do was sleep and eat. Metabolism changes during pregnancy, especially when it's a hybrid child.” Kitty snickered and finished her coffee. “Well, the girl I got out of my trouble was worth it.”

“Hmm, something has to get better, or in another week or two sleeping all day and all night won't be enough sleep.” Topaz smiled an apology to both. “And now I had better get myself home before Lucien comes to carry me off.”

Rhaine and Kitty were ready to leave as well.

“Ladies, when you need me just let me know.” Kitty pushed herself up with a nod to them both and flipped each of them a green cat's eye marble. “Just rub it and yell.”

“Thanks.” Topaz bent to pick up the marble she failed to catch and pocketed it. Then she picked up the paperwork to take home and deal with later. “Good night Rhaine. Kitty.”
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Magic

Topaz did not feel up to work, dueling or even just company anymore this evening than she had the last few days. She found it difficult to concentrate anything for more than a few moments and she knew she didn't have the energy for dueling. But her being in need of some time off did not eliminate Lucien's responsibilities. So she would have to entertain herself until Lucien would be able to join her. The forest would be the perfect place to wile away a few hours and she missed her time there.

The flight to her sanctuary had tired her more than she had thought it might, though. So, instead of playing or going for a swim as she had planned, she sat down under the willow to catch her breath and rest for a while. But between the whispering leaves, the hypnotic pattern of the ripples on the lake surface and her general exhaustion she fell asleep, and very deeply so.

Lucien woke before the sun had set, he knew instantly something was wrong, but could not place it. The bits that remained with him were "restless" for lack of a better word. He reached for Topaz's consciousness. She had not been there when the sunrise had claimed him for the sleep of his people, but her failure to return had created the restlessness that woke him now.

Lucien lay in the earth, seeking to touch his mate's thoughts, but she was deeply in the arms of Morpheus, and not within the Palazzo. He gauged the travel of the sun, and a low snarl echoed in his thoughts.

The low snarl somehow made it into Topaz’s dreams. Even in sleep the desire to answer her mate was strong, but the snarl was not enough to wake her.

As the sun dipped toward the horizon, Lucien summoned a storm and rose, seeking her location and learning she had gone to the forest she had called home, heading for the Valley to gain access to the portal.

The forest loomed before him then, and he knew she was here, but she was not answering him as he moved through the cold air. He found her curled up beneath the willow, faint whispers reaching for him like wisps of smoke.

The look of exhaustion to her face that in the last weeks had become nearly permanent was absent and though the weather was decidedly wintry her skin was warm. The fae magic must have acted as a blanket on her behalf.

There was nothing quite like his awake presence to make her want to be awake. She stirred slightly as she fought through layers of sleep. But the magic was reluctant to allow her to wake just yet.

The magic had welcomed the fairies. It knew that both of them had been in sore need of the energy that was part of their make up – the little one in order to grow, the other to make up for what was lost – and it would not let go of them until as much of it as possible had fused with the fairies. It also knew that once they were awake again, they’d be likely to take off without regard to their continued existence.

Kneeling beside her, Lucien pulled her into his arms before calling her name, seeking some response. She snuggled to him and relief flooded through Lucien as she stirred. Though she was still asleep, he sensed her fight to wakefulness.

The Carpathian’s pull was strong and the magic had no wish to fight him against Topaz’s desire. But it would keep the fairies as if immersed in a pool for as long as they were here.

Lucien ran his hands slowly over her shoulders, pausing over her pulse as he felt the bits curl protectively around her. Her pulse was strong and regular, stronger as it had been. Their daughter’s pulse too seemed stronger, and she appeared to have grown since he last checked on her. He leaned over to brush his cool lips against hers, and breathed her name again.

Topaz softly whispered his name as she drifted closer to waking up. She attempted to blink her eyes open, then decided to leave them closed a moment longer, but a smile formed on her lips. “Lucien. Good morning.”

Relief was palpable around him. “Good evening to you.... I was worried.”

”Why were you worried?” She searched her mind through the remaining haziness of sleep for anything worrisome that may have happened.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

”You were not home when the sun rose, and then your bits of magic grew agitated... you have been away from me for much too long.” He kissed her softly.

”Oh my. I wasn't there in the morning - that means,” she broke off. “But I came out to the forest in the evening.” That realization did open her eyes. “Oh Lucien, I'm so sorry.” Worrying Lucien was the last thing she wanted. He was already worried too much without her adding to it.

Lucien pulled her closer. “What happened?”

”I've no idea. I guess I fell asleep, but for so long?” She wrapped her arms around him and snuggled deeper into him.

If you came here yesterday, it would seem you have slept two days.”

”Right, when you left to grab dinner. I didn't feel like going out.” She had expected to be back when he returned and sorry to have missed him. “I guess I was really tired.”

”So it would seem. How do you feel?”

”I don't know yet.” She grinned a little sheepishly. Of course she was happy to be in his arms, so much so, that she had to focus to notice anything else. She should probably be thirsty and hungry after sleeping so long. She reached up and touched her fingers to his face in a gentle caress. “I think I feel fine. I must have been really tired.”

”Now the question is how do we keep you from becoming so exhausted that you leave me?” He kissed her fingertip.

”I didn't leave you.” She protested vehemently. That was something she’d never do. “Well, I didn't mean to.”

”Mmmm, I think you have been distracted and weary, I have felt it beat at me when I hold you, but I do not know why that has been.”

”I thought I've been taking things easy lately.” She returned to holding him, enjoying his being this close. She really had been doing hardly anything but napping , eating or sleeping of late, and the two times she had used any magic at all it had been minute amounts. “I've been feeling enormously tired. Rhaine and Kitty suggested it was being pregnant, but I can't recall ever having felt this tired before. Except maybe during the war.” But then it was due to working magic constantly and little to no sleep for weeks on end. “I think I missed you.”

”You have changed since you had Tormay... it is possible. Did you come here more when you were pregnant before?”

”Hmm.” Dalton had been jealous of every minute she had spent away from him. She had gone home just about every time, too, when escaping the misnamed palace that he had turned more and more into a prison. The palazzo was nothing like that and Lucien never made her feel like a captive. “I may have. I guess I spent more time outside in general. I used to really hate being in all these stone buildings. But I don't now, not with you.”

”Shall we come here more often now? You look more healthy.”

Topaz looked through his eyes for a moment. “I do, wow.” She grinned at his suggestion. But she couldn’t be anything but completely honest with him. “I'd love coming here with you, away from all the things that keep you busy. But you know, it could just have been all that sleeping that did it.”

”You were sleeping before, but without benefit.”

She squeezed him tightly. Though she missed the forest at times, if given a choice she’d rather be with him then here without him. “It's worth a try. I don't like feeling tired all the time and distracted. And I will absolutely love having you to myself more.”

“Greedy.” He laughed softly and she joined in.

” With you, you bet I am. Are you sure the guests won't miss you and you'll be warm enough outside?”

”I am always warm enough or cool enough... no matter where I am. And if they miss us, I have no issues.”

“Then I've no issues either.” With a happy expression she pulled his head closer for a lingering kiss. Even asleep she had missed him and now there was nothing in the way of them making up for the night and day spent apart.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Yule

Topaz had communicated with the fae magic and then sent out groups of them, each on a mission to make the Yule evening and night even more special than it already was for all that resided at the Palazzo. While she and Lucien slept snow would fall to dust the grounds with glittering white and ice crystals would paint flowers on the windows and decorate the fountains outside.

When she was satisfied that she had done everything to ensure that a winter wonder world would greet everyone upon waking and that all her presents were under the tree along with those others had put there, she went in search of Lucien. He was already looking for her and easy to find.

“When we wake up again, it'll be Yule.” She flew into his arms for a hug and kiss.

Lucien snaked both arms around her. “Mmm, and what would you like for Yule?”

”I already have all I want.” She smiled to him and with a wink added, “So maybe just more of the same. There's never quite enough of you.”

He nibbled along her throat. “And so you shall have more.... the ice flowers will be lovely as everyone awakens.” He had felt her touch in the growing frost flowers and the gently falling snow.

”You noticed!” She chuckled and took the tie from his hair. That he had noticed made her happier than any gift could. “I've a couple more things in mind, too, but they'll wait until it's time for them. Are we still going to have most of the celebration outdoors? I know Azjah has the tree and lovely wrapped presents set up inside, and the house smells of goodies... so I guess for a lot of it we'll be inside.” She would lend the tree more sparkle, shine, and glitter and give the air a quality that would allow everyone to feel the aura of the special night. But most of her Yule magic would be done outside.

”The evening will be out of doors. There are festivities and traditions to uphold.” He elaborated.

She squeezed him tight while she wondered if any of his traditions matched what she had in mind. “That is just what I was hoping you'd say.”

”And why is that?” He gave her a puzzled look.

“Because it's very difficult to make the forest creatures come inside a house and because I like the outdoors.” She gave him a secretive smile.

”Mmm, this sounds like you have something special planned.” He scooped her up and began to head for the stairs, the lethargy of his kind beginning to pull at him.

”Of course.” She snuggled against him gently rubbing her cheek against his chest as she nodded. Ariel said it was okay to give the fae gifts too, and Yule is a special night.”

Lucien quirked a brow at her. “What have you and Ariel cooked up?” If his sister was involved, trouble was afoot.

”Ariel had nothing to do with it.” Topaz grinned back. “I hope everyone likes their touchable presents though, just in case they don't notice the other ones.”

”I have no doubt they will notice. We are of the land and nature.” The gifts of his mate would be felt by all of the Carpathian's at the Palazzo, it was the nature of his kind to be in touch with the living world.

“Maybe that's what Ariel meant. You sure noticed right away.” But she’d have worked the Yule magic even without Ariel’s encouragement, just as she had all those Yules that she spent by herself.

”How could I fail to notice something your hand has touched?” He gazed into her clear blue eyes then.

She smiled to him in reply, his words and the look he gave her touched her to the core. “How soon do we have to meet with the others?”

”Sunset. There are observances as the sun dips into the horizon.” If they were to keep the old ways, everyone would be in the gardens just as the sun touched the horizon.

”So even with getting up a little early, there may not be time to give you your present?” There was one present she wanted to give him without anyone around to see.

”There will be time.” He slipped through the door into the deeper chambers.

She tilted her head slightly to the side and winked to him. “But no peeking in the meantime.” Not that she thought that he would. So far he had not looked at any of her surprises for him in her thoughts, though she was sure that he could if he wanted to.

He claimed her lips in a heart stopping kiss. “You will not tell me?”

”If you kiss me like that again I might.” She chuckled softly and played her fingers through his hair. “Or I may forget what it is altogether.”

He kissed her fingertips as he raised her other hand to his lips. “Shall I try for complete forgetfulness?” There was a glint of mischief in his obsidian eyes.

”That sounds delightful.” She nibbled playfully at his neck to show him just how good an idea she thought that was.

He lowered her onto the bed as the door closed behind him. “Good.”
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Topaz didn't even remember falling asleep when Lucien woke her again just before the set. The smile on her lips deepened as she recalled what evening it was.

”Good evening, Love, and happy Yule.”

Lucien pulled her tightly against his chest with a contented purr. “Happy Yule.”

“Now it's time for presents. I wonder if you like it.” She chuckled softly at the look he gave her and then kissed him deeply.

He gave her a slow smile. “I like that kiss.”

“That's not the present, you get kisses like that all the time and every day.” She ruffled his hair with another happy chuckle.

”Ah, but you see, I have Yule every day then.”

”We do, don't we. But this Yule you're getting a present. Well, lots, but one here without the others, just you and me.” But the present would wait until after they properly greeted the new evening.

When Topaz finally got out of bed to fetch the present, she thought herself dressed in the Carpathian way. She had practiced long and hard to get the dressing exactly right. This evening she made it look easy and in seconds was elegantly garbed in a long, flowing white dress, a snowflake pattern in the lightly sparkling material, and white fox fur around the hem and cuffs.

Lucien watched her move across the room with a smile of approval at her showing off a bit. In moments she returned to his side with the cylinder-shaped present and offered it to him.

She sat down beside him, looking to him full of anticipation and all happy smiles. “Go ahead, open it.”

He took the cylindrical package with a questioning look before he slowly, painstakingly began to unwrap it. Inside the paper was an aluminum cylinder and inside the aluminum cylinder was a roll parchments, yellowed with age. He conjured up a cotton glove before he reached inside for the parchment and removed it reverently.

The parchments, and there were several sheets of it, were covered with handwritten musical notation. Lucien studied the parchment in detail, the pianist in him reveled in the complexity and beauty of the melody as he heard it only in his mind. Egor S. was the signature.

“Where did you find this?”
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

”In the old part of town. One of the book dealers there showed it to me when I told him what I was hunting for. That is, he didn't have anything like it when Ariel and I went there, but he sent a note over a couple days later saying that he had something I might want.” Topaz beamed, happy that he enjoyed the gift as much as she had hoped he would.

”This is wonderful...” Lucien pulled Topaz into his lap for a lingering kiss. Slowly, regretfully he separated from her lips some minutes later. “Your Yule gifts are on the dresser.”

”On that dresser?” She pointed, but kept her eyes on him.

“Mmm hmm.”

”I'd have to get up out of your lap to fetch them.” They kissed again before she reluctantly left his lap to get the presents. The packages were small, all wrapped in gold foil except for one. One was taller and oddly shaped.

Topaz grabbed up all of them and brought them with her as she returned to once again sit in Lucien's lap. “Which one first, Love?”

”The tallest one first.”

”What is it?” She asked as she started to unwrap the tallest, removing the golden foil. But Lucien didn’t answer until after she lifted the metal form that looked very much like the willow in her forest, captured with the graceful branches as if caught in a breeze, from the foil wrapper. “Oh, it is beautiful!”

”It is a family tree. Upon its branches we will trace our family.”

She reverently traced the leaves and tiny hooks hidden in the gem stone leaves. There were a lot of those tiny hooks. “That is a most wonderful idea. We will have millennia to keep up with.” The tree still in her hand she hugged Lucien.

“That is the plan my love.” He kissed her slowly and almost made her forget the other presents and their guests, but just almost.

“Which one next?” She asked once she could talk again.

”The others are all similar, with the exception of the one in the red foil.”

”Red is one of my favorite colors.” With a soft chuckle she reached for the red one. Inside she found a portrait of them both, the foundation rootstock for the willow tree to begin the chronicles of their family. “Look darling, it's you and me!”

He nodded. “Yes, it is.”

”And it fits right here.” She attached the portrait to the hook at the center of the tree before she turned to the other little packages. Each of them held a frame, meant for portraits to add to the tree as their family would grow.

Lucien’s timing had been perfect. The sun just touched the horizon as they made their way upstairs to meet with the others. Quietly Topaz sent out more groups of the sentient magic to add a fae glow to their surroundings.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Lucien checked on the baby and on Topaz whenever he thought she wouldn't notice. He left his body, turning into light and energy, and entered hers to heal what needed healing. Most often though, he just re-asured himself that both were doing fine. He knew that while the actual birth was not where Carpathian's lost their children, but he wanted reassurance now rather than later.

But the times in which he could keep certain thoughts from Topaz at will were definitely past. His mate had become familiar with slipping in and out of his mind. She knew that he still worried even though she had told him that their baby would be fine and he still did not believe in wishes despite his being at home in her mind even more easily than she was in his.

Lucien had been uneasy about leaving for even a short time, but he had to feed. He also was not yet comfortable taking Topaz along, especially not with her being pregnant and just about ready to give birth. Her desire to join him while he fed troubled him. She was a creature of sunlight and not of the night. Perhaps with time she would understand his reluctance.

Over the last view days Topaz had been feeling increasingly uncomfortable despite Lucien doing what he could to make her comfortable one way or another. Sleep would only come for her when he gave her a mental push to send her to sleep. Yesterday even his 'push' had kept her asleep for only a few hours. Their daughter was growing impatient to join the world.

Between the discomforts and the lack of sleep she was restless this night. Nothing in their home wanted to seem right, either, no matter how often she fluffed pillows or moved chairs, re-arranged items in the shelves or any number of the other improvements she tried. Lucien tried not to interfere, Shea had given him a lot of information about what to expect, and all of this restlessness was to be expected, even if he did not like it.

While she was thus occupied the desire to be out in the open and her need to breathe fresh air grew. Eventually, she just had to go outside. Certainly, the garden of the palazzo was safe enough despite the increased threat of Vampires, she thought. Topaz percieved no protest from Lucien, so she made her way up the stairs and out into the garden.

He kept a mental touch with her as she stepped into the night air, and there had been no threat of any kind that he had felt this night. She needed space and he intended to give it to her. Sometimes Carpathian men were told they were suffocating to their mates, and Topaz was not
Carpathian, and he wondered if she thought of his "cave man" nature as suffocating.

As if walking the stairs had triggered it – and she had actually walked rather than flown up – a pain beyond just discomfort shot up her spine. It had come and gone before she could make an attempt to block Lucien from it.

Before she could concieve the thought to take off for her home in the forest where she felt she should be, Lucien spoke into her mind. ‘I’ll catch up, go ahead.’

And so he did. Flying had become nearly impossible for the fairy of late without Lucien’s assistance, so she had opted to walk. So it was that she had not even made it half way out of town when Lucien appeared next to her and scooped her up.

It seemed, to her, only moments later that they arrived under ‘her’ willow tree.

It was still dark, but would not be so for much longer, when the pair got their first look at their daughter. She was tiny, much smaller than Lucien thought a new born should be and smaller than Tormay was, but perfectly formed and healthy.

Once Lucien was certain the tiny girl was fine he placed her on his mate’s belly and prepared to leave his body. He became light and energy, entering Topaz’s body to heal the damage giving birth may have done. He did not stop until every cell was once again as it should be, being even more meticulous than ever before. In humans, birthing resulted in torn tissues and weeks of healing, but he spent hours repairing every torn muscle fiber, every damaged blood vessel. He would not risk losing Topaz. By the time he returned to his body he was as exhausted as Topaz was.

Return to “Palazzo Drachen Walde”